Ability to resize images

Krit

Idea

File this probably under "feature requests" because I'm fairly certain this isn't possible right now.

Can we get a method of easily and quickly resizing images inserted into notes with simple drag edges-resizing seen in most apps?

As a student I work with a lot of flow charts and images and it always annoys me when I have to insert a massive one that shrouds all the text in the documents. Makes the whole thing look clumsy and out of proportion.

• Like 6

Just wanted to add another voice to this.

Round trip to skitch is not what I want. And even this does not work.....I go to skitch resize (reduce number of pixels), save back to evernote. But the image still fills up as much area in my note as it did before.

It is such a simple task in OneNote. I grab and image by its edge. Resize it to the size I want it to occupy in the note. And that's it. Please add this to Evernote. 

+1 to resizing. I can't believe that a program so centred on images doesn't have the ability to resize them. Round tripping to skitch is not a good solution, on my mac it takes me 8 clicks to do what should be a 1 second click and drag that should be a basic function.  This might be a deal breaker for me.

+ 1 for this feature request!

This would make my work flow so much better if i could use this resizing/thumbnailing feature.

I usually end up with a lot of notes that start out as typed text but then after the event i'm preparing for I add documents snapped with my iPhone, so for me i don't mind if it is the ability to grab and resize the preview (retaining the actual image size) or a preference for setting a user defined thumbnail size (or 2!) and then by right clicking (or long tap on a mobile device) i could choose to display images as thumbnails.

Thanks

I have been taking many photos lately and using skitch to mark them up - Frustrated every time with skitch - would like to see a simple text box function - and a select/grab and move tool option (pointer and hand)...

But my data usage seems rather high - does Skitch when appending the marked up image re-save the entire image and increase my usage?

when it should only append the image?

I also would like to see an image reducer and an option to save the original image as is.... I am more than fine with EN shrinking my image to the 72 DPI so it would look great on my screen ( or save the original image but present a 8x6 image thumbnail) with the original image accessible if needed.

I also miss this feature a lot - being able to scale down images inside the note or at least reducing its size (even if that implies losing quality on the photo). The main reason behind this is that pictures get uploaded from the iPhone with such a big size that they totally mess up the note if I want to have more info under context.

Is this on Evernote's roadmap?

I'm thinking about writing an app to integrate with Evernote and, at least, allow me to reduce the size of all images within a given note to a chosen width x height (not scaling them down, but actually reducing its size - better than nothing). Do you guys think that would help?

It would behoove the Evernote development group to read the comments posted and act. This feature has been asked for for quite a long time, and with good reasons for it's implementation.  I too am frustrated  at the inability to view the full image while looking at the rest of the Evernote document.

I've worked daily with public safety software software vendors for 19 years and seen many of them fold because they focus their development on a target group or pet projects, while requests for the "mundane" features desired by day-to-day / rubber-on-the-road folks languish.  Guess what?  Eventually the higher-ups get tired of hearing about it, or make the call to move on when they see how productivity could be increased if these enhancements were made.  

I love Evernote for the most part.  I also see a lot of other products out there that could accomplish the same thing.  Is any one of the perfect.  No. But is their company's response to user feedback better, less frustrating, more sympathetic, less focused on quick capital growth?  My experience has shown (and the markets reinforce) that listening to your users (especially when they've been carping on topic for quite some time) that we can, and will move on.

That's one of the reasons I no longer pay for a yearly subscription - just in case that one competitor catches my eye ...

• Level 5

Hey folks,

Don't worry! We read every single comment because at the end of the day, we are all Evernote users and we love this product too. We understand this is a desired feature and we are working on some other very exciting features too :)

Just to let you know we are thinking about this issue, I'd love for you to weigh in on this:

We generally display images at the width of whatever viewing device is used. If you resized a large image manually to 1,000px width and then opened that note on your iOS device, would you expect it to still be 100% width or to display at 1,000px? 

As always, thank you all so much for the feedback. 

I'd expect that if it is larger than the mobile screen width it would fallback to 100%. But I believe that all images should have an adjustment (the same way the font size is smaller, so should be the images if you resize them on the desktop). It should probably be always percentage based (to be responsive to the several device sizes), or have predefined sizes like google docs or gmail (small, medium, large, original).

Remember that the main use case (IMO) is to reduce image sizes, not to make them larger (definitely not larger than what you can see in the screen)

I've just started using Evernote, and while I like it's organization structure, the lack of image resizing was a shock when I first tired adding one to a note. I like to keep math notes, and I have an app on my iPad that lets me handwrite a formula and it converts it to printed text that I can insert into a document. I gave that a try, using a picture of the formula to paste into Evernote. The formula takes up the entire screen when I need to it fit the size of the other text in the document. When I couldn't shrink it down, I was dumbfounded. Now, I have to use Apple's Pages app to create my notes with the formulas (Pages allows resizing of images easily) and then export it as a PDF into Evernote. Frankly, I don't want to have to sort through a bunch of PDFs when I could use the native EN format. 

Another nice feature to have would be do document scan in landscape mode. If I try to do that, it rotates my picture to portrait mode automatically, which then makes my document sideways. 

• Like 1

Jackolicious,

Yes, the resize to width of the window is helping put at the moment, I usually open the note I'm working with in a new window and make that window quite narrow. But I would much prefer the ability to set that size without opening a new window.

On iOs I feel they should display initially as 100% screen width, if screen width is less than 1000px, and then a tap would open the image up at 100% size. If on an iPad I would expect the image to display at 100%, not upsize it to screen width.

+1 on resizing - I've been to this same discussion a few times, but my request is slightly different:

I'd like to see an option to have pictures that are dragged/added to a note be automatically resized. I run into the 100MB per note limitation many times because I snap pictures at a specific location and I just drag them from my Dropbox Camera folder into Evernote. I know I could batch process them before in many different apps, but I'd love to streamline this process by having Evernote automatically resize photos to fit within the size limit. Smartphone cameras are shooting bigger and bigger files and that much resolution is not always needed. Even better would be the option to automatically reduce all the pictures in a note with a single click when I get the alert message that I can't add any more photos...

Thanks!

@Chodorowicz Thx for a clear and helpful post. Will finally download Skitch and see whether it is actually of any value with my work flow. All of this would be so much faster if it were just part of EN client for windows desktop, and for IOS on iPhone, but of course that is just me (and perhaps many others!).

+1.  If I'm going to have to be opening up the photo in another application, well, I could just resize it in paint or PhotoShop.  Absolutely no reason not to be able to do that in the app (Desktop or Mobile). Skitch very cool, but come on.  This is silly.

To add evidence to the need for this feature:

We are testing Evernote Business in a 250 person company. The lack of this one feature means we cannot use Evernote.

Evernote staff: This one is really important in Evernote Business, where the killer app is sharing notebooks. Without this feature, we cannot convey complicated concepts and visual ideas in a practical way. We will be cancelling our test accounts. And one reason we are here is that a number of us have and love our personal Evernote accounts! But this is a need that is a key feature for business sharing.

... We will be cancelling our test accounts. And one reason we are here is that a number of us have and love our personal Evernote accounts! But this is a need that is a key feature for business sharing.

I notice that this is your only post, and perhaps EN might take note that you bothered to offer them feedback, but I doubt that they will take it to heart. While I agree with you that "this is a need that is a key feature for business sharing" I also contend that is vital to many of us who use EN personally. Actually I have pretty much abandoned my use of EN personally and will never pay for a personal account unless this simple feature is added (unless of course I find an alternative solution to EN). While I am not a programmer, but have done extensive testing on our internal company proprietary software, I expect that the original architecture of EN is such that they backed themselves into a corner and can not easily accomplish this feature. To many of us it is an obvious need that has many advantages.

Not sure why I bothered to even post, but wanted to applaud you for taking time to give feedback perhaps yours will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and EN will finally take this seriously.

• Level 5

... We will be cancelling our test accounts. And one reason we are here is that a number of us have and love our personal Evernote accounts! But this is a need that is a key feature for business sharing.

I notice that this is your only post, and perhaps EN might take note that you bothered to offer them feedback, but I doubt that they will take it to heart.

We read every post on this forum and take every one into consideration.

Thanks for posting Will.

• Like 1

Jackolicious,

We appreciate that everyone's comments are read and are taken into consideration.  The problem that I'm having with this (and I sense others are as well) is that we are not getting any other response than that.

Could you let us in on how this request is poised in the "consideration queue"?  If it stands at just that (a "consideration") simply say so.  If it's actually being developed that would help quell some of the welling feelings of ill will.

Thanks for the consideration.

Garemeister Good post in my opinion and much more diplomatic than I am. Not really sure what good it will do (yes I am cynical about EN). The forthcoming answer might be ... we don't comment about our development plans a) because it might give unrealistic and unfounded expectations to people; and/or B) because it might give a competitive advantage to other software to know what we might be up to; and/or some other vague response that really provides nothing for a customer or potential customer to evaluate and make their own plans.

If it is divulged that things are being developed, perhaps that accomplishes something, but maybe not. Something is being worked on ... well then one is left to wonder what priority it has, whether it is one person working on it and they are dedicating one hour a month on it, or whether there is actually a team of competent people actively pursuing a solution. I have no idea and seriously doubt that we will be told, but by being pre-emptive with regard to possible responses which I personally would find of little value, perhaps there might actually be a response that surprises me and actually provides something of greater usefulness. 

I use other software daily where the forum is frequented by the developer and there is dialogue that I and many forum members feel is informative and very responsive. I would look forward to being able to make a similar comment about EN.

- Evernote has a sustainable business model with a plan to stick around at least 100 years -- I am still unclear about how Springpad's ad-based model is going to work as they scale up

- it stores my data safe and secure forever on its own servers, even if I never pay a dime -- Springpad rents space from Amazon

- it provides me with my own copy of the data on my devices, so I have offline access and total data security -- when I have no connection or Amazon's servers go down, Springpad is unavailable

- it is accessible from any device with native applications for just about everything -- Springpad has iOS, Android, and Web clients only

- it is conducive to a paperless existence by allowing notes up to 50MB in size -- I think Springpad still has a 5MB file upload limit

- Evernote is a platform with lots of third-party integrations, so that even if Evernote doesn't develop that particular feature you are wanting, someone probably has, and it works with Evernote -- Springpad has an API as well, but seems to have far fewer third-party integrations

I am coming to Evernote from Google Docs, which does everything you mention here and a whole lot more.  There are many reasons that I could get into to describe how Evernote works better for my purposes (which by and large don't even include the "browser" features, though I am learning to love them too!).  However, there are many things -- not just his issue with resizing pictures -- that Evernote is going to have to do better at.  If they don't, someone else is going to.  The barrier to entry for creating apps and services is only getting lower.

• Level 5

I'll post my question again :)

We generally display images at the width of whatever viewing device is used. If you resized a large image manually on your Mac to 1,000px width and then opened that note on your iOS device, would you expect it to still be 100% width or to display at 1,000px? 

We generally display images at the width of whatever viewing device is used. If you resized a large image manually on your Mac to 1,000px width and then opened that note on your iOS device, would you expect it to still be 100% width or to display at 1,000px? 

I'd like to see proportional size, so that if an image takes up, say, 50% of the maximum screen width on one device, it does so on all of them. The overwhelming frustration I have is that when resizing an image in the editing [markup] window, it stay the same size back in the notes window, now at a much lower resolution. And of course there's no undo for that.

• If display_size is set (img width and height attributes) then this image should be  displayed at that set size, but no bigger than container height, so max width: 100%.
  • If display_size is smaller than actual_size, then it should be possible to display actual_size (popup, new window or smth else)

Just to let you know we are thinking about this issue, I'd love for you to weigh in on this:

We generally display images at the width of whatever viewing device is used. If you resized a large image manually to 1,000px width and then opened that note on your iOS device, would you expect it to still be 100% width or to display at 1,000px? 

I'd prefer the ability to specify a size (approaching having a ruler and more rich-text-like capabilities) or proportional size options for resizing.

But as you asked it, I'd say to display to fit the width of the screen on a device whose screen is < max.

I see no way to resize images in Skitch. Just Crop.  I'm on Android.

You aren't suggesting taking a picture, then go to your desk and use your computer to resize it, are you?

You can now resize pictures (and do much more) very easily with our Skitch integration. Just right-click on an image and choose Markup with Skitch.

+1,000,000,000

I've been glancing at this thread for a year, and I am completely confused why this isn't a high priority issue.  This is because one of the biggest promises of Evernote is capturing data beyond text - and most useful to most people is images.  If I'm not mistaken, Evernote's mission includes making notes and memories as easy as possible to collect and organize.

Resizing the display (not the underlying data - the display in Evernote) is as basic as being able to resize fonts, or use bold or color to make things more visible.  It allows one to visually organize a note.  This is of utmost importance in allowing one to actually use a note.  When the picture takes up the whole note, it makes the note is a mess and completely unwieldy.  I often can't see the pic in one screen and have to page down.  (And I mean on my laptop, not just iphone.)

The basic proposal here is very simple.  We don't need to resize the underlying file.  (While is useful, it's not exactly Evernote's job, which focuses on the display, rather than the original capture or data sizes.)  All we need is a corner to pull in.  Aspect ratio can stay locked, that's fine.  I understand this isn't a word processor.  We don't need to have captions or be able to type on extra lines next to it.  Just one corner.  Lower right.  That's 99% of the issue.  The design is straightforward, too; proportionally scale it when displaying it using well-established algorithms and cache the scaled copy when the note is saved.

Yes, one could use another program to resize a photo, then go back and forth and  see how it looks in Evernote.  That is completely out of the question for trying to capture any reasonable amount of data in a reasonable amount of time as this app is intended to do.

I would also like to add that one thing thing that made me hesitate to post here was the attitude of some of the forum watchers who were quite dismissive and unhelpful.  I would like to commend and thank Jackolicious for stepping in and providing helpful responses, even if the answer isn't quite what we were hoping for.  (Yet! :) )

+1

The way I do it now, is open the image in another program (e.g., Preview, Acorn) and resize it. When the change is saved, the image is entered into the Note with its new size. But this should all be possible within EN itself, of course...

It would be nice to have a solution which is designed to solve actual, concrete use cases. Just requesting a general image resize functionality just does not cut it. Particularly, none of the suggestions presented give enough thought on how the resized images should behave on mobile devices. I have to go against the grain here and claim the current functionality is fine as such.

I think part of the challenge is that Evernote handles all images as inline elements. One of my use cases revolve around having several images on a note in a gallery-like layout. This could be solved with a responsive image container. The container would always be 100% width, have a fixed (possibly configurable) number of columns and scale the images within to fit. It would work similarly on all devices. Clicking on an image would allow me to focus on it much like previewing an attachment.

And resizing should absolutely perform scaling as the image is being displayed. Actual, physical image manipulation (resizing or otherwise) may very well be performed with an external tool such as Skitch.

Our solutions sound extremely similar.  The resizer sets a specific size in pixels.  Yes, it should scale live as it's adjusted, I was just saying it should cache the last setting for quicker access so it doesn't have to rescale every view...maybe not, just an idea.  Whatever works.

If the mobile device can't support that size, shrink it or make it side scrolling or whatever that device does with fonts and line wrapping.  (An iPhone wraps and probably shrinks, it does not scroll, if I'm not mistaken.)  Assuming that fonts are displayed with some shrinking algorithm on mobile devices, use a similar one.

I'm not saying it's brain-dead trivial to display on mobile devices...that's what Evernote solves and we know they can do it.  It would seem as straightforward as plenty of things they already do.

Resizing in another program is like Word having no ability to scale images - actually it's worse because Evernote is more image-oriented in focus.  For one thing, adjusting the size in situ means no guessing and going back, let along the extra time and inconvenience of doing it once.

I really can't see this being worse than current mobile display problems.  There's something of a specific pixel dimensio s, at a location on a line, so wrap and/or shrink it.  What am I missing?

I agree that our approaches have similarities.

But the reason I'm for a separate, explicit image (gallery) container, is that in my scenario the problem I'm trying to solve is to have several images on a note without any of them stealing all the available space. Additional content would be positioned either above or below the container. I also do not have the need nor the time to resize each image individually - I'm busy taking notes. It would be interesting to hear the use cases you guys are thinking about.

Inline images would work as they do now.

Of course this approach would limit the things you could do with images, but I'm not expecting Evernote to handle desktop publishing.

I've been waiting for *something* to be done about this for longer than I can remember. I demo'ed Evernote for my department and they shot it down because this missing feature makes Evernote not fit for us. If the 15 of us ever started using it, it could have spread throughout our 2000 person company.

I'm honestly a little offended by the official response from Evernote people. Round-trip to Skitch is even more time consuming than editing in an external program and resizing skinny text (like, say, on a whiteboard or screen shot) to even 95% of its original size makes it illegible. Rather than point out non-solutions, I'd prefer to hear that either Evernote doesn't want to fix this problem because of some given reason, or that they're working on it.

As-is, inserting images is klunky. The auto-resize does NOT help. If I take an 8MP photo and add it to a note, that note scrolls like a 1992 web page on Prodigy. The tone of the responses so far from Evernote is a little embarassing.

How 'bout it Evernote team?  Any updates for us?

I posted about this on October 20th and had some hopes for a resolution by this time due to all the feedback others provided as Jackolicious requested.  

It's just about at the point now where I don't feel valued by the company based on the lack of any kind of update (whether a fix or a posting letting us know where this stands in development).  

Perhaps the time draws nigh for my pocketbook to consider becoming silent ...

I'm starting to use photos in notes (e.g., photos of whiteboard notes to keep record of meetings) but the inability to resize is a handicap and I think it's the only thing that I dislike about EN. 

If the note's just for me, it's not too much of a problem because I know I'll need to scroll down a massive picture to get to the rest of the note. But for sharing/presenting, it's not really suitable so extra steps to shrink are required.

On iOS, photos can easily be resized in the app Memo, then exported to EN. On an iMac desktop I've used Applescript (e.g., http://www.macosxautomation.com/applescript/imageevents/04.html). Both really take the fun out of using photos in notes, so I concur with the comments above that it would be a very useful update.

Took some notes for the birth preparedness class my wife and I took. Wrote some text, snapped some pix, all within evernote. Cool! Wife asks for a printout of the notes to keep in a binder to take with us to hospital. No Problem!

go to Print them out, the images are so huge they print over 3-4 pages. Uh-oh. 

So I tried roundtripping to Skitch. Skitch has obtuse icons with no "hover to reveal function", but eventually i got to the  + / - resize page. I "reduced the size" of the image. When I got back to evernote however, the image width remained EXACTLY the same, only now visibly bitmapped because of the lost resolution. AGAIN it printed huge, chopped up into multiple parts, only now jagged and bitmapped. 

And of course there was no undo.

http://imgur.com/a/rieUf

post-141500-0-65735300-1390507097_thumb.post-141500-0-33631500-1390507098_thumb.post-141500-0-03117300-1390507099_thumb.post-141500-0-77867200-1390507099_thumb.

Took some notes for the birth preparedness class my wife and I took. Wrote some text, snapped some pix, all within evernote. Cool! Wife asks for a printout of the notes to keep in a binder to take with us to hospital. No Problem!

I've struggled with this as well. I have hundreds of recipes in Evernote with lots of images, and printing is so far from WYSIWYG that it's laughable. I've optimized my notes for onscreen/web viewing and given up on printing for the time being.

+1 to the two previous postings. They canvas well the great overall abilities of noting, then point out out the bubble burst when trying to publish them. I know Jack's got me watching for something coming soon, but perhaps new users could note this frustration when rating on the store? Some may not cough for premium until it's resolved ...

+1 to the two previous postings. They canvas well the great overall abilities of noting, then point out out the bubble burst when trying to publish them. I know Jack's got me watching for something coming soon, but perhaps new users could note this frustration when rating on the store? Some may not cough for premium until it's resolved ...

I of course did cough for premium because, well, there's a sucker born every minute. cough.

• Like 1

I've been hoping to see a result here for years now. It's a real pity it hasn't been addressed.

Thanks for the warning guys - I was thinking about premium but images are very important to me.

The more versatility in layout as well as size when they do get it going, the better.

There's a really simple journal for ipad called Chapters (and no I have nothing to do with it)  you add an image and can resize, rotate and position anywhere on the page

If that kind of functionality was available on EverNote they would have a real winner.

Good luck to the developers - hope after all this time they have something really good for us in 2014 (soon)

What is it that you can't understand? Printing from evernote =/= WYSIWYG if images are imbedded.

Try this:

1) create an evernote on your smartphone. Add some pictures, from right within the app, with smartphone camera

2) go home

3) sync desktop app w smartphone version

4) print the note you just created. 

5) count how many pages are required as each image is huge, and tiled over multiple pieces of paper. 

If by "annotating" you mean roundtripping to skitch to "reduce the size"

1) it doesn't work: "reducing the size" doesn't translate into a smaller printed image, merely a lower resolution, pixelated one. 

2) even if it did what a huge pain to do with each image!

see my post above and, uhm, read it carefully. 

• Level 5

No need to use Skitch. You can do it all from with Evernote:

1. Click on the annotate button in the toolbar

2. In the popover that appears, click on the image you want to modify.

3. Click the crop button

4. Click the resize button

5. Drag the slider until you get the size you want.

6. Click apply.

7. Close the annotation window

You now have a resized image which can be printed on a single page.

The problem with resizing in Skitch (or using the Skitch tools built into Evernote) is that you lose the original image data when you resize it. Once you've resized it in Skitch, you can't size it back up to the original size again. Most modern apps let you scale images inline, and that scaling is lossless. (See Microsoft Word, Apple Pages.)

Regardless, even the current scheme in Evernote is not WYSIWYG. Images that appear reasonably sized onscreen often turn huge when you try to print them. I have lots of images in my recipes, and I find I can't print them since the images take over the page when printed; sometimes they even tile on to other pages. Try it, the current scheme is a bit of a disaster.

I've resorted to putting just one image at then end of each recipe so that I can use the recipe and discard the image if I need to (the image almost always generate a page break and gets bopped to the next page.

Even BBCode allows you to change the size of an image without losing any data.

3. Click the crop button

6. Click apply.

• Like 1

3. Click the crop button

6. Click apply.

This 7-step process is extremely frustrating and not efficient!  I insert hundreds of pictures into my notebooks every day and have to re-size many of them using these 7 steps.  A simple drag and enlarge image directly in the note would make a lot more sense.    I am a premium user and thinking of switching note apps because resizing pictures this way is ridiculous.

• Like 1

@EverDerm understand your frustration but EN doesn't seem to understand, or care, or seems like their original programming has made it extremely difficult to provide what many of us think as simple and essential functionality. I'd add to that being able to highlight text.. The resize issue has kept me from paying for EN, if you find a good alternative please report as many others might jump ship on EN.

• Like 1

Thanks - I'll probably use this (if I can remember it) but I'm not sure it's really any quicker than my current work around.

I concur that it's crying out for the standard corner drag feature.

I too would love to see this... can't believe the program has no image handling functions considering people are going to be grabbing images and pasting into it all the time.  More than anything doing this would probably save Evernote a load of storage space as people would often crop and shrink down images!

I'm glad evernote is working on this. I would very much like this feature. I capture a lot of screenshots in the Android app, and every time I have to open the note with my desktop client, highlight the image, open the image with an external image editor, resize the image, and save it in order to get the image to an appropriate size for the note. 

• Like 1

We are actively working on this.

Great to hear! I'm looking forward to the 'lossless resizing by dragging the corners' -feature.

Please make a possibility to also easily do a LOSSY resizing of an image. For example from 3264x2448 to 1024x768 (or something of the sort).

I need this a lot because I want to keep my note sizes to a minimum to make the use of Evernote on my phone as fast as possible.

Thanks for a product that is in many ways outstanding!

It was discussed before that one of the features we're discussing here ("lossless resizing by dragging corner") was and is present in web version of Evernote on Firefox, because FF has that inbuilt in edit forms. You're using Webkit rendering for desktop client, which doesn't support that natively. A similar issue was present in WordPress (resizing worked in FF, but not in Webkit browsers). I just wanted to add that since WP 3.9 lossless resizing by dragging corners is also supported in Webkit browsers. I don't know how they've implemented it (maybe it's just TinyMCE 4 feature), but it as you can see certainly doable and you could take some inspiration and idea how to implement it from WP if you need some.

Lossy version exists with our annotation feature :)

I'm afraid it doesn't. At least I haven't been able to find it. But if it does actually exist, I would happily stand corrected on my misunderstanding.

So the question that is begging an answer: How do I resize an image with Evernote's annotation tool?

To answer my question correctly please be VERY CLEAR on the distinction between cropping and resizing. They are two different things.

Cropping = take only a part of the whole picture and crop the rest

Resizing = keep the whole picture and reduce (or enlarge) its proportions. (This reduces (or enlarges) the actual filesize of the picture -> takes less storage space.)

For example: if happen to take a picture with my camera that has resolution 1920x1080 and I have it in Evernote. What I often notice is that it's too large for my purposes and I want to reduce its size e.g. to one third of the original: 640x360 and thus have it take much less storage space AND load faster on my phone.

So THIS is what I'm looking for. Does this feature already exist? If so, how do I use it?

Lossy version exists with our annotation feature :)

I'm afraid it doesn't. At least I haven't been able to find it. But if it does actually exist, I would happily stand corrected on my misunderstanding.

So the question that is begging an answer: How do I resize an image with Evernote's annotation tool?

To answer my question correctly please be VERY CLEAR on the distinction between cropping and resizing. They are two different things.

Cropping = take only a part of the whole picture and crop the rest

Resizing = keep the whole picture and reduce (or enlarge) its proportions. (This reduces (or enlarges) the actual filesize of the picture -> takes less storage space.)

For example: if happen to take a picture with my camera that has resolution 1920x1080 and I have it in Evernote. What I often notice is that it's too large for my purposes and I want to reduce its size e.g. to one third of the original: 640x360 and thus have it take much less storage space AND load faster on my phone.

So THIS is what I'm looking for. Does this feature already exist? If so, how do I use it?

Look at Post #161 above. It explains exactly what you're describing.

• Like 1

Look at Post #161 above. It explains exactly what you're describing.

I'm doing exactly what that post is telling me to do - many times over I've tried it. I'm only able to crop my image (that is leaving some parts of the whole image out.)

How do i keep the WHOLE picture and change its proportions/size?

I may be dumb, but please advice - this is killing me.

• Level 5

You may be missing step 7.

After clicking the crop button in the toolbar on the left hand side, you need to switch the toggle in the top left corner from crop mode to resize mode.

• Like 1

Very sorry this has been a source of frustration for you.

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like you might be missing the toggle that switches you from 'Crop Mode' to 'Resize Mode' in the top left of the window.

I made a quick walkthrough of the steps for resizing an image once you've got your desired file open in the annotation window.

Please let me know if this doesn't clear things up for you:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s275/sh/d3e65500-83bf-4a5a-a681-7708b219a326/1966f8b5f8dde0255bc0e27b8e2c8f53

• Like 2

Based on what you're saying, it sounds like you might be missing the toggle that switches you from 'Crop Mode' to 'Resize Mode' in the top left of the window.

I made a quick walkthrough of the steps for resizing an image once you've got your desired file open in the annotation window.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s275/sh/d3e65500-83bf-4a5a-a681-7708b219a326/1966f8b5f8dde0255bc0e27b8e2c8f53

Thanks so much! I got it working  :) You made my day.

AND I'm totally impressed that you took time to understand my challenge and provided me with and illustrated answer. It feels incredibly good to have 'Evernote' responding to my concerns. I'm so fed up with big companies that have no REAL care or consideration for their customers. This is the exact opposite of that. I'm impressed!

What comes to the actual resizing of an image: I have to say that now that I have resized an image, the procedure is clear as the blue sky ;-) Hindsight is always 20/20...

Suggestions to imrove this feature:

* Please add 'tooltips' for the upper left three toggle buttons. Currently NO tooltips are available with 'mouseover', which makes understanding them on the first use a struggle!

* A status bar or something similar that shows the size (in Megabytes/Kilobytes) of the resized image.  

Thank you :-)

• Like 1

Glad that worked for you!

You're not the first person to struggle with the nested approach to the resize feature and it's something we've been evaluating.

Your suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

These are great instructions, but I can't open the annotation window. Help. 

This support page says that to Annotate an image in the Mac client I should Ctrl+Click on an image and that will give me an Annotate this image option. 

This page shows what I see when I Ctrl+click on an image. 

Where is the Annotate this image... option

I am using Evernote 5.5.1 on OSX 10.6.8 

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Level 5

This support page says that to Annotate an image in the Mac client I should Ctrl+Click on an image and that will give me an Annotate this image option. 

This page shows what I see when I Ctrl-click on an image. 

Annotation is only available in 10.7 and later.

This page shows what I see when I Ctrl-click on an image. 

Annotation is only available in 10.7 and later.

Thanks. I'm sorry to hear that. 

I personally let my premium membership go since i use evernote for recipes, with photos. My Cannon Eos Rebel T3i takes large images. If i insert them into a recipe they are larger than my own screen resolution of 1920x1080. This has still not been resolved. I am running the latest Evernote build for Windows, and the annotate window has non of the "nested options" spoken of by the developers. All i can seem to do is Crop an image which isnt the same thing.

My current method is to open the original images in PhotoShop, save them at 10-25% size then import them into evernote. This requires a multitude of additional steps as well as double the amount of images on my hard drive. Personally for an application of this quality to not have basic image editing built in is borderline comedic.

It is also pretty silly for an application that allows you to create "tables" to not have basic sizing options for images inserted into those table cells. All i want is the ability to drag and release a corner of the image to create a static percentage of note width to the image. My text takes up about 90% width of the note, i should be able to drag the corner of an image to equal the width of the text, or 10% of the width to create inline images in notes and have it display as such both on screen and in my printer.

This frustrates me to no end, and im thinking of moving to a more friendly application, anyone have any recommendations?

screenshot attached in crop mode with no "options".

Sincerely,

post-203627-0-30344300-1401321043_thumb.

@C.Murphy: Evernote for Windows does not currently include the ability to resize images.

If you'd like a lighter weight tool than Photoshop to handle resizing, you could try Skitch (also from Evernote).

Resizing is found in a similar way to what I described for Evernote for Mac, it's just at the bottom left instead of at the top and it's a dropdown menu instead of a toggle switch.

http://evernote.com/skitch/

I would agree: I would like to be able to size and crop photos in Evernote.  For cropping corner dragging would be a great improvement but I'd most want to be able to have a ratio box where I would add height or width info numerically and be able to create uniform galleries.  Strangle that my mail program is more powerful than Evernote.

I'd upgrade for this functionality alone.

You'd think easy peasy lemon squeezy.

• Ex Employees

Use this link to try out Mac 5.6 Beta 1: 

New features:
  • Tables can now be resized, and have configurable background colors and border styles.
  • Images can be resized right in the note editor. Just click an image and drag the handle in the bottom right corner.
  • Search results are now ordered by relevance.
  • Faster notebook selector at the top of the note list remembers your recently used notebooks.
  • Redesigned checkboxes in the note editor are easier to click.
  • Evernote will now stay logged in by default.
  • Like 1

@C.Murphy: Evernote for Windows does not currently include the ability to resize images.

If you'd like a lighter weight tool than Photoshop to handle resizing, you could try Skitch (also from Evernote).

Resizing is found in a similar way to what I described for Evernote for Mac, it's just at the bottom left instead of at the top and it's a dropdown menu instead of a toggle switch.

http://evernote.com/skitch/

Is the lack of resizing a picture in the Window's client on the roadmap to get resolved?

I've dropped my premium subscription and wont renew until this gets addressed since I use this on a daily basis.

Now i need to drop my picture in SnagIt first -  resize then copy over to EverNote.

I'm using Win 7 & Evernote 5.8.1.6061

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s275/sh/d3e6W5500-83bf-4a5a-a681-7708b219a326/1966f8b5f8dde0255bc0e27b8e2c8f53

When will this be available on windows?

• Level 5*

Why is this taking so long to update on windows? Are windows users not a valuable asset to your company's success??

Of course they are. However, not being able to resize an image directly in a note is apparently not a critical feature for all Windows users.

• Like 1

Why is this taking so long to update on windows? Are windows users not a valuable asset to your company's success??

Of course they are. However, not being able to resize an image directly in a note is apparently not a critical feature for all Windows users.

Not really certain to whom that is apparent.  It certainly is not apparent to me.

The feature where you can take a picture of a receipt in the docs option, upon printing out it takes two 8.5 x 11 pages to print a gas receipt.

It is apparent to me that most people just accept the limitations of evernote and do not complain.

Any windows users want to chime in on this? Is not a critical feature when the pics you take take up your whole screen?