Looking forward 'Tasks' and Home being released - officially!

Go to solution Solved by Brittany N.,

When I first installed the new v10.5.6 build just now, it opened to a new GUI named "Home" with a very distinct appearance and some new graphics. Somehow, I clicked away from that & all reverted back to my standard layouts. I sort of wanted to look that over if anyone figures out how to view that "Home" desktop in EN. I sure can't seem to find it again :/

Thanks

• Like 4
  • CentralAla changed the title to New v10.5.6 "Home" desktop GUI?

I was about to create that same thread when I just saw yours. 
I have been just installed Evernote and founding back this neat Dashboard was rendering me crazy, it's not on @gbarry Evernote 10.5 introduction at all.
WHY!!!!! I NEED THIS BACK!

@dalla73, I don't believe in God but I will make an exception and start worshipping you and blessing the soil your feet touch!

image.png.411f1758c48d280e4316ae5054745156.png

Edited by Mr Pingouino
Addon!
  • Haha 1

YOU CANNOT EXPECT TO SHOW US THE CHOCOLATE CAKE AND DEFEND US FROM TOUCHING IT!!!!
DO NOT TOUCH IT, KEEP IT HIDDEN IF YOU LIKE BUT LET US POWER-USER-WHO-CAN-TALK-TO-JSON-FILE BATH IN ITS PLEASURE.

Consider yourself warned Brittany, I consider Home...HOME!
image.png.19329d5d85206074570c29e9c7f7220d.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Hi All, I was surprised this morning by a band new welcome screen with several widgets incl. tag overview and quick note entry. After selecting a note the screen was gone (of course) and now I'm not able to see that dashboard look & feel again - even after restarting. Was this a one time hidden experience?

remember the EN-dashboard contest this year? (or last year??)

seems like some ideas and learnings from this contest for example will find its way to regulary and long announced new EN-functions, e.g. here in "EN-Home-dashboard-screen" soon in 2021...🙂😍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
41 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

Haha intentional or accidental.....a tantalising glimpse of things to come? 😂 I think you can engage with things that are being worked on by joining the beta programme - @Shane D.is the chap in charge there I think. 

When I went to the web version some weeks ago the beta Home was available even though I hadn't received an invitation email. Once I'd started playing I got an invitation. Could be coincidence but from the private forum the beta had been running for a few weeks.

Great responses & info here.......Yes, fiddling around with it as described above did result in making it visible for me. It is very ßeta; none of the changes or edits that you make 'stick' unless you first move around some of the widgets - seems to retain afterwards. Still, it's a great concept & I'm looking forward to it going live. Patience is a virtue I guess.

Edited by CentralAla
correction

6 hours ago, stocky2605 said:

Hi All, I was surprised this morning by a band new welcome screen with several widgets incl. tag overview and quick note entry. After selecting a note the screen was gone (of course) and now I'm not able to see that dashboard look & feel again - even after restarting. Was this a one time hidden experience?

I, too, had the same experience. I was looking forward to playing with this new functionality, and then poof, gone.

5 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Page appeared by accident 😉. It was a nice preview of what is coming up next month (as EN stated in an FB group)

Thanks for posting this.  I am looking forward to this new feature.  It would be great if I could have this kind of built in dashboard for each of my projects.  As it is now I build dashboards using tables + linked pics + some Filterize automation.  It works but it can be time consuming to set up and maintain.  It would be great if this Home desktop GUI with widgets could be set up per stack or notebook.  That would provide a great way to get an overview of my projects.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Bull said:

I, too, had the same experience. I was looking forward to playing with this new functionality, and then poof, gone.

Thanks for posting this.  I am looking forward to this new feature.  It would be great if I could have this kind of built in dashboard for each of my projects.  As it is now I build dashboards using tables + linked pics + some Filterize automation.  It works but it can be time consuming to set up and maintain.  It would be great if this Home desktop GUI with widgets could be set up per stack or notebook.  That would provide a great way to get an overview of my projects.

@Dr. BullMaybe you should create a separate request for this - I'd vote immediately for it 🙂

• Like 1

Recently the Evernote faithful made several sightings of the ever-elusive Home desktop GUI (See these discussions here.). 

It would be great to have a built in dashboard for projects. As it is now, I build dashboards using tables + linked pics + some Filterize automation. It works, but it can be time-consuming to set up and maintain.  It would be great if this Home desktop GUI with widgets could be set up per stack or notebook. That would provide a great way to get an overview of projects.

• Like 4

Hi EN (or at least the guy who placed the upcoming Start Page by accident to some users),
the start page looks really nice, I was able to add a short note and to rearrange the widgets. 🙂

Unfortunately I clicked on a note and the wonder disappeared 😞. But I've saved a screenshot (in Evernote) as a long-living document of my luck 😜.

Exciting days...,
     Albert

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hi All,

Just wanted to let you all know that I've centralized the threads related to this topic here.

Reiterating Brittany's reply, we shared a little bit more than we had planned.

That said, we are happy to hear the positive feedback from what you saw!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Dr. Bull said:

That would provide a great way to get an overview of projects.

Not clear how this relates to "for each Stack or Notebook" 

My project dashboard is automated using an applescript     
This runs each morning and takes my data to a spreadsheet   
Displayed are Goals, Projects, and Tasks.   
The tasks are presented in a gantt timeline view

• Like 1

I saw this in 10.5.6 too...and then I saw the ongoing multi-language spell-checking bug, bug in note counts in shortcuts...new keyboard short cuts not working completly... I would love if Evernote would put energy more in the basics, bug tracking and getting back known functionality before playing around with shiny gui adjustments we probably are being forced to use in a month or so... This leak does not blind me at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Evernote just popped-up for another Windows update.
This time I refused vehemently to install it because I think this is @Brittany N. trying to stab me in the back while I finally enjoy Evernote v10.
Can someone check and see if this update removes all possibility to get back the Dashboard using JSON!

Damn you if you did this to me.

image.png.74462203c94fc02adb7f6d0a345372b3.png

• Haha 1

During the 10.5.6 update for Evernote Desktop on Windows, I was taken to what seemed to be a new home page with widgets. After entering a note from that page, I can't get back to it. I have also seen no mention of it in the release notes. Was this feature removed, did I accidentally see some beta feature, or is there some way to navigate to that home screen?

I was intrigued to try the new Home as well! While we're waiting for it to be fully released, I did discover by searching for my favorite feature, scratch pad, that we already have that one. In Windows you can get it by clicking the elephant in the "show hidden icons" system tray or with Ctrl + Alt + H. I know there's a way in Mac too, which you can find by searching "scratch pad" in help.

FWIW

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
9 hours ago, Minda said:

I did discover by searching for my favorite feature, scratch pad, that we already have that one. In Windows you can get it by clicking the elephant in the "show hidden icons" system tray

And the scratchpad inside the application is significantly more useful ;)

I should add that I am aware this is work in progress but this does look promising in terms of what they could potentially do with it, and it is some proof that they are pressing ahead with launching new features pretty quickly as they have promised in the update videos. 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, DMiddleton said:

As well as the new Home feature, the hidden 'Tasks' feature, looks good!

Thanks for the screenshots    
I merged the various discussions for this topic

It's interesting to see both: Set due date and Add reminder    
In the pre-version10 architecture, there is no due date field; I've been using reminder date

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Thanks for the screenshots    
It's interesting to see both: Set due date and Add reminder

In the pre-version10 architecture, there is no due date field; I've been using reminder date

Yes it is a good sign, interesting there is a 'Flagged' field too.
I will be impressed if they pull it all together to let you see tasks in a widget on the new home screen layout, or even a proper tasks interface as a separate screen.

2 hours ago, DMiddleton said:

Yes it is a good sign, interesting there is a 'Flagged' field too.
I will be impressed if they pull it all together to let you see tasks in a widget on the new home screen layout, or even a proper tasks interface as a separate screen.

Very promising indeed, why is Evernote so silent about this?

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, eric99 said:

I noticed also a linux version. Is that already official?

In a different forum I volunteered to be part of the Linux Beta team (haven't heard back yet) so I guess it's getting ready for release...

• Like 1

I also found the glimpse of "Home" to be intriguing, but what is more important to me is when I open a note on my iPhone, the note actually appears. And that offline Notebooks actually download to my iPad.

Get the basics working, then give us the new stuff..

• Like 3

That tasks feature is exactly what I was hoping could come with checklists etc. It will be so useful to have note reminders (I use these to compile meeting notes and it pops up near when the next one is due) but also inline todo reminders which I can use for the to-dos from the meeting. Great stuff, this is exactly the kinda thing I’m hoping for. 

As apposed to keyboard shortcuts, usable speed, reliability, communication from the company, built in screen shorting, and a million other features lost from the classic version over night, just chucked away as if they never existed. Yea that’s what we need, another to do list manager, why didn’t I think of this before, what’s the matter with me. 

4 hours ago, MrIllustrator said:

As apposed to keyboard shortcuts, usable speed, reliability, communication from the company, built in screen shorting, and a million other features lost from the classic version over night, just chucked away as if they never existed. Yea that’s what we need, another to do list manager, why didn’t I think of this before, what’s the matter with me. 

Goodness me! Do you just go round every topic to post negativity? Is it against your ethos for any positivity? If you don’t like to product stop using it! By the looks of things that would increase your joy substantially cause your clearly not in any way happy with this product. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

Goodness me! Do you just go round every topic to post negativity? Is it against your ethos for any positivity? If you don’t like to product stop using it! By the looks of things that would increase your joy substantially cause your clearly not in any way happy with this product. 

The problem is many do not "like" the current new iteration of the "product". They "liked" the previous version which had a lot more functions available than the new all singing dancing farce. A point you ignore is many of us PAID for that version. So applying your logic if you can not "provide a product paid for" issue a refund to everyone.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, rob24hrs said:

The problem is many do not "like" the current new iteration of the "product". They "liked" the previous version which had a lot more functions available than the new all singing dancing farce. A point you ignore is many of us PAID for that version. So applying your logic if you can not "provide a product paid for" issue a refund to everyone.

And this has what to do with the new home feature or task? Taking over threads to complain is ridiculous - are we not adults? This is petulant and really frustrating, just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean that wondering everywhere moaning about it. There are more than enough complaint and wingeing threads here and frankly many of us are beyond frustrated by the constant complaints, leave the treads alone that are not on that topic! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can not have it both ways...advising people to stop using a product- they have paid for.....bit like hiring a car - dropping it off for service then being handed back a scooter and being told to get on with it .....it has 2 wheels.......

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, rob24hrs said:

You can not have it both ways...advising people to stop using a product- they have paid for.....bit like hiring a car - dropping it off for service then being handed back a scooter and being told to get on with it .....it has 2 wheels.......

I think his main point was that forum threads get moved off topic, while every one has the right to complain about the product if they don't like it (and I had some issues with it at first too), there are other threads dedicated to this. A lot of threads do seem to start off with a point then get hijacked by complaints not really related to the discussion point it started with.

• Like 4
  • Evernote Expert
4 hours ago, rob24hrs said:

And the thing you say you like and paid for is still very much in existence.  Many of us are hoping and working to see the new version of Evernote develop and make progress to provide what we all need. We've seen plenty of improvements and, hopefully, more to come. The stuff in the background that are available in Beta aren't instead of fixing things but evidence that progress is being made and new features are being developed alongside various fixes.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, rob24hrs said:

The problem is many do not "like" the current new iteration of the "product". They "liked" the previous version

I'm still using the "previous version" (Legacy product)   
I consider the Version 10 product is a work-in-progress, and not ready for general use    

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I'm still using the "previous version" (Legacy product)     

Surely that is not a viable way ahead? The legacy version will not continue to be supported?

I am using version 10. Touch wood it does what I need BUT given EN managements complete miss handling of this, after 10 years of use I have lost all confidence in the app and in the absence of a clear detailed outline of the way ahead I really do not see a future with EN.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, rob24hrs said:

Surely that is not a viable way ahead?

The point is, it's viable today and the immediate future

>>The legacy version will not continue to be supported?

Right, some day in the future   
And I will address it then, if not before    
The work on Version 10 will  be completed and I will  consider switching

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hi All,

You're way ahead of the curve on this. 😅 

At this time, I've removed posts that call out how to enable these features prematurely.

The reason for this is that these features are still in beta, and as they are works in progress, we don't know whether it'll have a negative impact on data or your Evernote Account.

For the time being, please refrain from posting these workaround here in the forums.

As always, let me know if you have any questions!

19 minutes ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You're way ahead of the curve on this. 😅 

At this time, I've removed posts that call out how to enable these features prematurely.

The reason for this is that these features are still in beta, and as they are works in progress, we don't know whether it'll have a negative impact on data or your Evernote Account.

For the time being, please refrain from posting these workaround here in the forums.

As always, let me know if you have any questions!

My bad, wont do it again!

You guys should definitely consider my post about about a roadmap though, you can see we want to know what is coming!

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Great !

First new feature for EN since I don’t really remember. I am sure this will be a winner !

It is positioned to turn a data hoard into a real productivity machine. I think we will need a while to explore its abilities, and how to apply it to personal setups and preferences.

How to GTD this ?

• Like 1

I just want to add a different perspective: isn't this kind of another bad sign this dev team is lacking competency? I mean, accidentally pushing code to production is sort of like a sin in software development, especially when it involves hundreds of millions of users. There'll likely be no improvements to performance for a long time, if ever, given that their new code base already has one foot stuck in the mud. They're clearly focused on new features like this and not on plugging the holes. To me, this seems like another obvious indicator the product is going the wrong way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
15 hours ago, evanac said:

I just want to add a different perspective: isn't this kind of another bad sign this dev team is lacking competency? I mean, accidentally pushing code to production is sort of like a sin in software development, especially when it involves hundreds of millions of users. There'll likely be no improvements to performance for a long time, if ever, given that their new code base already has one foot stuck in the mud. They're clearly focused on new features like this and not on plugging the holes. To me, this seems like another obvious indicator the product is going the wrong way.

The code was already there as the feature has been in testing for months. I'm guessing something went wrong with a flag that was flipped, briefly enabling a feature that only testers should have seen.

As for the focus on new features vs. restoring old capabilities, the CEO has said they plan to do both in parallel: continue working on restoring some old capabilities while delivering new features. There are a number that have been in the "coming soon" section of the release notes for a few months now. Hopefully they get implemented soon, perhaps in next month's update.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Paul A. said:

The code was already there as the feature has been in testing for months. I'm guessing something went wrong with a flag that was flipped, briefly enabling a feature that only testers should have seen.

As for the focus on new features vs. restoring old capabilities, the CEO has said they plan to do both in parallel: continue working on restoring some old capabilities while delivering new features. There are a number that have been in the "coming soon" section of the release notes for a few months now. Hopefully they get implemented soon, perhaps in next month's update.

Totally agree, this probably has been planned and developed parallel for months. It might just have been ready for delivering from ENs side of view.

I deeply understand frustration and anger about issues and missing and so far not implemented or even (re)developed functions in v10. But I simply don‘t get how some of us can complain about shipping this new feature - again parallel - with other features and fixes.

Do you want EN to hold back new and ready to serve functions which can improve workflows and give more options?

• Like 2