Idea

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting Dark Mode have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for Dark Mode here!

• Like 1

Evidently no one at Evernote has ever attempted to work on a document while flying transcontinental when the plane is darkened. Even lowering the brightness of my iPad doesn't help. And worse your seat mate complains about the brightness distracting them. I have given up and like others. I may go back to premium if Evernote gives us an option

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just to add a bit to the Stylish solution for web version.

Couple of months ago I found these extensions restyling all web to dark.

They do it quite well, are easy to disable per site, and I completely switched to them from separate Stylish themes:

Chrome: Dark Reader https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh
Firefox: Dark Background and Light Text https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/addon/dark-background-light-text/
   Firefox - Custom colors to make it more like IDEA, my favorite IDE:
    * foreground #A9B7C6
    * background #2B2B2B
    * link color: #D9C077
    * visited link #D9C077
    * selection color #214283

Although, I think that's not a solution for Evernote, as the web version is way slower and harder to use than desktop one.

• Like 4

+1 

Give us option to change it. Advantage or no, it's a personal preference that many users would enjoy. 

• Like 6

Hi! This is the 2nd most requested feature on the forum, why has it not been done yet? it has been more than 3 years since the last post so I'm bringing this back up.

• Like 3

It's been very difficult to gauge what the people at Evernote are even thinking. I think there has been a total of Zero response from them about this issue in all this time.  From time to time there is the response from some casual forum member who has jumped to a conclusion that we only want it to be completely dark ... even have to wonder at them, do they not use other modern software that has "Themes" and gives them choices.

With the amount of requests over the long period of time ~and no response at all.. I can only assume their thoughts are that we are to; "Use it the way we give it to you -- or don't use it -- We don't care"  I don't know what other conclusion it's possible to reach.  I've kept in the forum on the ever-decreasing hope that they'll actually decide to be responsive to customer requests. But, their software is gone from my systems and so is my financial support.

If they decide that their customers are of any value, I'll be happy to reconsider.

• Like 4

On 9/27/2017 at 5:15 PM, Myrddin R Emrys said:

It's been very difficult to gauge what the people at Evernote are even thinking. I think there has been a total of Zero response from them about this issue in all this time.  From time to time there is the response from some casual forum member who has jumped to a conclusion that we only want it to be completely dark ... even have to wonder at them, do they not use other modern software that has "Themes" and gives them choices.

With the amount of requests over the long period of time ~and no response at all.. I can only assume their thoughts are that we are to; "Use it the way we give it to you -- or don't use it -- We don't care"  I don't know what other conclusion it's possible to reach.  I've kept in the forum on the ever-decreasing hope that they'll actually decide to be responsive to customer requests. But, their software is gone from my systems and so is my financial support.

If they decide that their customers are of any value, I'll be happy to reconsider.

Been a member since 2009. They don’t care. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And AustinG has replied to my Evernote support ticket ("Chris" is Evernote CEO O'Neill, who responded to me on Twitter); we now have official confirmation, for the first time in four years, from both the CEO and from product support, that this is being worked on:

Hi,

Thanks for contacting Evernote Support and for submitting this request. As Chris mentioned, this is something we're working on, but I do not currently have an estimate on when it will be implemented. We'll continue to announce updates to the apps as we release them.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or issues with Evernote.

Thanks,

Austin G.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This has been a request to Evernote for about 3 years. We are not asking to have a black background for everybody only for those who choose to use it. If any thing they should have the option of a dark note background with the white header

• Like 5

+1 Dark mode please. I use dark mode for everything (Gmail, YouTube, reddit)... it's so painful when I have to look for or save something in Evernote.

• Like 4

If Evernote was to ask its users I would be willing to bet at least 75% or more of them would prefer a dark option

I always wonder what the point of Feature Request forums are when the developers don't take notice of people's requests. 

I mean seriously, if a suggestion with 254 Up votes gets rejected/ignored about a simple ability to change the background colour to black and the font colour to white, you may as well close the whole forum down. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

And here's the reply from the official Twitter account @EvernoteHelps:

I see our CEO has reached out to assure you that we hear you and we're working on this! /AT

ScreenClip.png

• Like 1

I am currently checking on Evernote as an alternative to Onenote and it has to be said, that the dark theme is probably the only thing missing. The problem for me is the inability to actually read articles in evernote, it just hurts my eyes. And seeing that this topic has been going on for 3 years, I am extremely disappointed with developers. 

• Like 4

Only reason I found this forum, Googling to see if there's a dark theme option. So many apps have this, Jota, Wikipedia, checklist apps, even Dolphin Browser. And yet not Evernote!  

• Like 1

Got a survey last week about improving Evernote. It seemed more about pricing structure rather than any other functionality improvements. Of course I did respond to other improvements with "DARK THEME" - "DARK THEME" - "DARK THEME". I have given up hope that they will respond to any requests for a dark theme. Almost every other application seems to be heading that way (ie Microsoft Office) even Apple seems to at least looking that way with the new iPhone update but it too still needs improvement. While Evernote remains unresponsive.

• Like 1

Ah, 1 like and 1 plus.

Great to see some feature request validatation.

Maybe there is hope.

• Like 3

Let's get a response from The Team.

I'll send snapshot of everyone's replies by email.

If anyone else knows how to get Evernote's attention; do it & point back here.

If you haven't yet, simply post a +1 to show your support.

• Like 3

I think OP means that a dark UI saves battery because many Android devices have AMOLED screens which have energy saving benefits for drawing black pixels. That is a good enough reason for a dark UI, another being that many writers prefer a dark UI for distraction-free writing. 

A search on google shows this has been requested several times over the years, so it seems like there is definitely demand. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, almorithm said:

I'm sad that it doesn't have a Dark Mode so that my eyes don't burn out on the ridiculous stark white that Evernote has become.

Note Background
I don't know about burning out my eyes, but I also dislike the white background of my notes.
Not exactly dark mode, but I use a background colour.  
The only way I've seen to do this is to work within a table; 1 row 1 column
Sometimes I use 2 columns - it adds a dimension to my notes.

Please please please please give us a dark theme for notes themselves and not just the dang sidebar. I too am a developer and use Evernote paid day-in and day-out

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bkriesel said:

How do I upvote this?  So want this feature.

Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion   599af35869c82_ScreenShot2017-08-21at07_50_07.png.1994dbccc4dff986370bb3d5c479f242.png

• Like 1

I really like the idea as well. Another twist to the idea I think that would be neat is if it could automatically switch between the two themes depending on time of day or on how bright the environment is.

You're posting in the right forum for feature requests;
Users can vote and the voting counts are a indicator of user support for this request (top left corner of the discussion)

The current vote count is ...... 0

I would just love theme support. Microsoft recently added Dark Mode to Office 365. I am not sure if it is publicly available or just on the insider ring for now, but it is there.

I personally don't care for Dark Mode in Office 365 because the other themes and the contrasts in the app are enough, but with Evernote, given the existing mode or dark mode, I'd probably go with dark mode given I cannot see the subtle differences in the 50 shades of gray.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You're posing in the right area for feature requests.

Users can vote and the voting counts are a indicator of user support for this request (top left corner of the discussion)

The current vote count is ...... 0

could you quit moderating?

• Like 2

It's horrible, I'm not going to sugarcoat it.

The stark white UI is awful.  As a fellow developer, I fail to understand why this couldn't be engineered with relatively lower LOE vs. other tasks in the current/upcoming builds.

Dark Mode is a thing.  Apple has embraced it, apps are embracing it, and Evernote - given its position in the marketplace as the most well-known notebooking app around - is surprisingly behind-the-times w/ this.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Note Background
I don't know about burning out my eyes, but I also dislike the white background of my notes.
Not exactly dark mode, but I use a background colour.  
The only way I've seen to do this is to work within a table; 1 row 1 column
Sometimes I use 2 columns - it adds a dimension to my notes.

Are you using Mac, Win or Web version?

2 hours ago, almorithm said:

Are you using Mac, Win or Web version?

Mac and iPad; Web very seldom
I can only create tables on the Mac so I have templates set up with a variety of colours.

+1 Would love a dark mode. Have tried Alternate which has it but I would much prefer a native dark mode Evernote. It is as high on my list as Markdown support. Overall, gotta say Evernote has really improved across the board though, no complaints here. Search functionality works soooo much better then it used to.

On March 30, 2016 at 0:48 AM, networkstatic said:

+1 Would love a dark mode. Have tried Alternate which has it but I would much prefer a native dark mode Evernote. It is as high on my list as Markdown support. Overall, gotta say Evernote has really improved across the board though, no complaints here. Search functionality works soooo much better then it used to.

Markdown and, for me - Syntax Highlighting.  Proper support for developers using Evernote is kinda long overdue at this point.  I still cling to another "evernote-esque" App called SnippetsLab which I adore as it's perfect for code snippets, but in the end I would prefer to stay with Evernote for the cross-platform functionality since I have multiple machines and mobile devices of various flavors.

My perfect world would have Evernote with:

* Dark Mode (super overdue)

* Markdown, Syntax Highlighting (super overdue)

The initial attempt at inserting a code block into Evernote is a good start but it still stinks.

• Like 3

+1  I'm a developer too who wants to store code snippets in Evernote with syntax highlighting.

• Like 3

A dark theme/mode for the Mac desktop would make it near perfect in my opinion, would LOVE to see this feature.

• Like 1

On May 28, 2016 at 0:07 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

To help clarify the request for the Evernote developers, when you say you want Dark Mode, are you asking for the editor to be inverted too so the note is black and text white or just the rest of the UX beyond just the sidebar?

In regards to syntax highlighting, during our hack week when I was there one of the security engineers got this working and I think you could even choose the language so C was highlighted differently than Java. The reason code block and a lot of these features aren't turned on is because not all the clients support the same editor yet.  Once this is done then these feature can easily be turned on.  I don't work there anymore so I have no idea where they are on that but that's the reason.  If not adding syntax highlighting and other editor features would have to be added to the 5 different clients separatey which is very costly and time consuming.  

I would like everything white (or colors, just not inverting the screen) on black. Black toolbars, black notes. 

Omni Group's OmniFocus has a dark mode that's quite easy on the eyes. 

image.png

• Like 2

The fun part of this is that a dark UI has just been introduced on the iPhone where it is less of a benefit since iPhones do not have AMOLED displays. Strange how things go at Evernote....

• Like 3

On 3/31/2016 at 10:03 AM, almorithm said:

Markdown and, for me - Syntax Highlighting.  Proper support for developers using Evernote is kinda long overdue at this point.  I still cling to another "evernote-esque" App called SnippetsLab which I adore as it's perfect for code snippets, but in the end I would prefer to stay with Evernote for the cross-platform functionality since I have multiple machines and mobile devices of various flavors.

My perfect world would have Evernote with:

* Dark Mode (super overdue)

* Markdown, Syntax Highlighting (super overdue)

The initial attempt at inserting a code block into Evernote is a good start but it still stinks.

Dark mode is a must have. Syntax highlighting and markdown would be awesome to have for my code snippets.

• Like 2

White background color really hurts our eyes if we keep using Evernote.

I hope we can set background color as we wish.

With 37 votes (as I post this),  this would seem to be one of the more popular requests floating around..  over to you,  Evernote...  (PS Windows too,  please...)

I love Evernote. I'm a premium customer. Amazed, bewildered and dumbfounded that a dark theme is not yet available. 

I tried Alternote -- watered down functionality is not a good replacement.

I tried Bear -- not horrible but lacks functionality. Tagging system is interesting but would like to see notebook functionality. If they add this in a subsequent release, I would consider Bear. But, it's not quite there yet.

Quiver -- haven't tried tried but will very soon. It does have notebook functionality and, from the screen shots, looks very similar to Evernote. It's not free, but neither is Evernote (for me). 

11 hours ago, Perry S. said:

I do pay a Premium. I'd like a dark theme please.

Thanks for helping support development.  Did you vote this feature up?  (top left)

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Thanks for helping support development.  Did you vote this feature up?  (top left)

Yup.

• Like 1

Another fellow developer. This is single handedly one of the easier features to implement, and would be what got me to be premium. The lack of support for this is absurd especially after reading this post. People write notes late at night. Get your teams ***** together and change a offer a second style, or lose to Google Docs.

Can't believe there is no word on this. I'm a premium user, so I don't use it for free...Would do anything for a dark mode though.

Wow - impressive number of votes.  Sadly Evernote won't actually confirm they developed a Dark Mode until it hits the Beta users,  and they very very rarely comment on whether or not they intend to adopt a feature.  All we can do is wait...

Same here. I would pay a premium on top of my already "premium" subscription to have a dark mode!!  +1

It's kind of mind boggling this isn't a feature still. It's not like there is a ton of UI in this product, so skinning it shouldn't be a huge effort. 

I've been using Alternote in the meantime as it is integrates with Evernote and does have a dark theme. Unfortunately it does have a few annoying bugs, so it would be great to see this feature in the original product.

11 hours ago, John Livingston said:

It's kind of mind boggling this isn't a feature still. It's not like there is a ton of UI in this product, so skinning it shouldn't be a huge effort. 

I've been using Alternote in the meantime as it is integrates with Evernote and does have a dark theme. Unfortunately it does have a few annoying bugs, so it would be great to see this feature in the original product.

Sooo I just got the Alternote trial. SO much easier on the eyes! Only issue is the lack of quick formatting bar like Evernote has. Is this an option I'm missing somewhere? Preferences screen seems lacking.

13 hours ago, ColinScatt said:

Sooo I just got the Alternote trial. SO much easier on the eyes! Only issue is the lack of quick formatting bar like Evernote has. Is this an option I'm missing somewhere? Preferences screen seems lacking.

Yeah, it is definitely not a replacement for Evernote and may be missing some of the features. If you highlight something, you should get something like the following, at least on MacOS. You can also use MarkDown code and it will auto format.

2017-05-25 07.33.52.png

Nowadays it's pretty normal for reading apps to have three options for the background colour: white, sepia and dark.
During the day the white theme is really good, but when I read at night I would like a dark theme, because it's better for my eyes. :)

• Like 1

I do hope something will get through to them.  My renewal just came and went, I did not renew this time.

So, I'm no longer a paying customer -- until they decide to listen to their customers again.

I will not be renewing my subscription either. I would like to go back to an earlier release when presentation mode was available. that was the way I used to get the black background but they also took presentation mode away

• Like 1

I had been using RobertJSawyer's wonderful trick to change the background color.  Now it no longer works (before that I used the trick of editing the html, but that disappeared, too)..  I used Windows Restore to roll back to an old version of EN.  I don't know what to do.  I'm completely dependent on EN, but I *cannot* look at bright-white images all day.  Please, please, fix this.  It can't be that hard.

Ideally, we should be able to change background colors arbitrarily.  The human brain is well tuned to color.  I'll bet most EN engineers use color syntax highlighting for their code.  That's because the brain cues on color.  A yellow note would mean one thing, a blue one another.  Without conscious thought.  Wouldn't it be wunnerful.

But I can live without that.  Just give me some usable alternative to blinding white!!!

PLEASE!

• Like 1

+ 1 on Themes including Dark Mode.  I'm experimenting with Bear App now even though I'm a longtime Evernote Premium Subscriber because I want something that looks new.  

On 10/31/2013 at 7:16 AM, TechBarber said:

Whenever there is an option to go "dark", I turn it off. Reader apps, stock apps etc...doesn't matter. 

Black backgrounds make my eyes go wonky  :wacko:

Not trying to start a flame war - just wondering what the perceived advantages of going dark are? 

I mean, paper is white. Can you imagine if the world used black paper with white pen? Ewe

Well, for me as a "vampire" :), black in "excess" is highly preferable.  I already use screens too much for work and then "play" at home.

White is just too bright for my eyes subjectively so even a sepia/green tone like Kindle offers would be a welcome addition!

I've just now come back to Evernote from 2013...and how is there no proper dark theme??  It's obviously going to be optional.

Devs, please don't forget us, Google also tends to ignore dark theme requests too (though finally they added it to YouTube recently).

• Like 2

Wow 94 votes so far - anyone interested that hasn't voted,  how about getting this over 100?  (Up button,  top left of the page!)

I did notice in a recent Windows beta that either Gallery or Presentation mode had a 'dark' option,  but I can't find that now in my current version.  If I didn't imagine it,  maybe that means the Powers That Be are moving towards a solution.  Maybe...

• Like 1

I'll add my name to the list of people who can't believe that Evernote hasn't provided a dark mode, let alone themes, despite years of requests. I'm putting my money where my mouth is and ending my premium subscription. Bear and Ulysses both have dark modes. Several of them in fact. Such an easy feature to implement. I spend a lot of time writing and I can't stand black text on a white background. You guys have had years to do this. Too late now.

• Thanks 1

4 years & 18 pages of +1s later, still no dark-mode. 

Subtle way of saying "go ***** yourselves with this popular request". 

+1 anyways 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Check out Boostnote - have multiple themes, including a dark one.

• Like 2

I think that Boostnote is absolutely great, but it's not directly comparable to Evernote since it has no synchronization capabilities nor iOS applications. :( 

It's a fantastic alternative for very simple needs though.

Oh wow! Thanks for the Boostnote reference. I'm trying it out now and it's great for my code snippet needs! It doesn't replace Evernote (because I wasn't using Evernote for code snippets) but it's a fantastic adjunct and replaces a bunch of text files. 

No mobile is no biggie because I don't code on mobile. And I'm storing the files on Dropbox, so it ought to sync between machines. (Will know more next week when I try it on my other machine.)

On 08/07/2017 at 0:33 AM, morphine said:

I think that Boostnote is absolutely great, but it's not directly comparable to Evernote since it has no synchronization capabilities nor iOS applications. :( 

No iOS and no Android is the biggest concern - true. I think the request is there, but the project is 6 month old and in that time a lot has been achieved! I am sure mobile will come too.

As for sync - just create your folders in Dropbox and here you go - sync is there.

For my purposes it is even better - I can control as to what sharing service I use (and I use also a private one, super encrypted, yada yada yada).

On 08/07/2017 at 2:38 AM, DTLow said:

The notes in Boostnote seem to be embedded in an internal database.  I'm not seeing a separate note file that I can use

Yes and no.

Internal database is a set of JSON files (check in Menu -> Storages).

You can have multiple storages, and multiple files. All human readable. Can be put anywhere.

I've been using Boostnote for a couple of weeks now, synced across two machines via Dropbox, with no problems.

Not a replacement for EN for most people I'd think, as it's very plain-text based. So not inter-note linking, no font resizing/coloring/bolding, etc., no tables, no embedded images, etc. 

But for code snippets or other plain text notes it's pretty good!

8 minutes ago, Blork said:

I've been using Boostnote for a couple of weeks now, synced across two machines via Dropbox, with no problems.

I don’t know about the others, but my intent is to add Dark mode to Evernote and the editor.  I don’t want to switch to any other filing tool like Dropbox

• Like 1

On 5/28/2016 at 6:07 PM, SoftwareMarcus said:

To help clarify the request for the Evernote developers, when you say you want Dark Mode, are you asking for the editor to be inverted too so the note is black and text white or just the rest of the UX beyond just the sidebar?

I'd like the editor to be inverted - black background and white text. In an ideal world I would be able to set the note background to any colour in the full spectrum. Imo this is a really important issue not just from the perspective of personal colour preference / burnout looking at a white screen, but also accessibility and usability of Evernote for those (like myself) with learning difficulties that make reading black text on a white background quite difficult.

Hi, as I searched the forum this feature is one of the most requested feature for Evernote, so I'm bring it back up. Why is this not yet implemented?

On 23/07/2017 at 7:27 PM, Ygee said:

Hi, as I searched the forum this feature is one of the most requested feature for Evernote, so I'm bring it back up. Why is this not yet implemented?

It's been said several times already,  but with a thousand 'essential' fixes and tweaks in various operating systems,  Evernote has to prioritize work.  Their product,  their timescale

They're not obliged to apologise or explain their actions,  and generally choose not to do so...

I'm very sympathetic to andredoumad's point of view; this is absolutely insane.

However, there MIGHT be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel.

If you access the "secret" help menu in the Windows desktop client by holding down the CTRL key while selecting the Help pulldown menu, you'll notice a new choice at the very bottom:  "Export Themes definition file."

If you select that, Evernote will indeed export a file named Themes.xml.  You're not prompted for a save location, but in my case, it ended up on my Windows desktop.  And if you look at this file (any text editor will do), you'll see that it has the theme definitions for the two themes currently set in Options | General | User Interface | Left panel theme.

Yes, currently the definition file only lists the left-panel themes, but what's fascinating is this:

By default, there is no Themes.xml file anywhere in your Evernote installation folder or its subfolders, but, if, after editing the exported Themes.xml file, you then move or copy it to the main Evernote program directory (perhaps C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote), henceforth Evernote will use the values defined in Themes.xml.

An easy test: simply edit Themes.xml file to change this:

<DisplayName lang="en">Light</DisplayName>

To this:

<DisplayName lang="en">This Sucks!</DisplayName>

Close, and relaunch Evernote, and you'll see the drop down menu choices at Options | General | User Interface | Left panel theme are now "Default (dark)" and "This Sucks!"

I spent some time yesterday trying to add theme values for the note background (adding XML for elements called "note," "notes," and "en-note") but none of them worked. But clearly the infrastructure is in place for user-defined theming. 

Note if you make a mistake in the XML so the file is invalid, you don't get an error message, but Evernote simply defaults to the built-in theme values (which are stored as plain text in Evernote.exe).

After four years of being ignored by Evernote on this simple issue, I don't want to get my hopes up too high yet, but, as I said, there's a glimmer here.

All best wishes.

2 hours ago, John Livingston said:

Sigh...time to unsubscribe to this thread as this feature will clearly not be added anytime soon.

It could be part of the next release (although it's not in any current beta) it'll happen when it happens. ;)

Sergey Voronov, thank you, thank you, thank you!  Dark Reader, which you recommended is fantastic; I'd tried a lot of night-mode / dark-them Chrome extensions, but none had the flexibility of this one.  I'm very pleased.

In Chrome, I've paired it with this theme: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/material-theme/mdnphgdednjnpcoeamekbogoblkdajep

I agree with you that this isn't a complete solution for Evernote, as the web interface is not as feature-rich or fast as the desktop client, but, nonetheless, you've made my day!

All best wishes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, camerajunkie said:

Please please please please give us a dark theme for notes themselves and not just the dang sidebar. I too am a developer and use Evernote paid day-in and day-out

I'm with you. Except now that my subscription ran out, I'm not paying any more until they finally acknowledge that we've been asking about this for literally YEARS now. Who would have thought any company could so totally ignore it's user-base.?

I managed to create a pseudo dark mode for Evernote on Mac (but only using a web browser, namely Opera.) This of course is not a permanent solution but it helps me type notes out at night although I use dark mode everywhere since my eyes can't handle bright white light for a long period of time.

I simply installed Opera, and this Dark Mode add-on then wrote my notes on the web version of Evernote. The results were good. The Night Mode extension is also available on Chrome but I am not sure if it works properly.

There are a few drawbacks, namely some visual glitches and the fact that notes created will have a dark text background on the Mac and mobile Evernote versions, but I can live with that. 

I really hope they add Dark Mode to Evernote, as someone else stated, this single feature would make me a Premium user again for sure. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 11.33.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 11.33.21 AM.png

On 10/31/2013 at 6:16 AM, TechBarber said:

Whenever there is an option to go "dark", I turn it off. Reader apps, stock apps etc...doesn't matter. 

Black backgrounds make my eyes go wonky  :wacko:

Not trying to start a flame war - just wondering what the perceived advantages of going dark are? 

I mean, paper is white. Can you imagine if the world used black paper with white pen? Ewe

One huge difference about your sheet of paper though, it only reflects light.. it doesn't emit it's own.. put it in dim light, it's not going to blind you.. take that screen though and place in a dark environment.. then you will immediately be able to tell the difference.  Some of us have limits on how much light you can throw in our eyes and not have us pay a price for trying to deal with it.. so, you're comparing that with something that is, to us, completely different.  Do you see a little better now.. another point of view & preference.?  I hope so. This same thing keeps popping up from the very beginning of this thread and it kind of surprises me that the most basic difference isn't glaringly obvious. *shrug

• Like 3

I think if anything it showcases a lack of ability. I'm sorry but It couldn't be that great a task, a simple alteration of a few colours, to be ignored for 4 years. 

Perhaps they've taken on new staff without the requirements of something like a uni degree.

The only other reason I can think of is budgetary concerns. But then, a happier user base brings greater profits so it's hard to see that being the main obstacle. 

Admit it developers, new or not, you don't have the skills and you don't know what you're doing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mtRoom said:

I'm sorry but It couldn't be that great a task, a simple alteration of a few colours, to be ignored for 6 years. 

I don't totally agree. I want this dark theme too, but it's not just a dark/black background for notes. I would be curious to know the percentage of people who only use Evernote to clip web pages. However, I think that's where the difficulty lies, not just for notes. If you look at the competition (OneNote) there is no dark theme either. If you register a web page, you can then change the page color AFTER (with more options for the UWP App than for the desktop version), but by default the page is white.

In my opinion, it's too complex, too many parameters and they don't want to get bored with it.

Well even just a dark theme for notes I'd be happy enough with myself and it's better than nothing at all. The lesser the task the more likely they'll be willing to take it on.board. And conversely, the greater the task, the less willing. 

• Like 1