BETA - no reminders shown, multiple clicks required to get to a note

NBarreto

Idea

Hi,

I just got a pop-up message suggesting I changed to the Evernote Web BETA interface.

I must say that I'm extremelly disappointed with this update.

Here are a couple of reasons:

1) No reminders on top of notes when I click on a notebook

I run multiple projects in Evernote, each one has a notebook. In these notebooks I store project information, research and todos or reminders.

If I want to see what I have to do, at a glance, in the previous version I would just click the notebook and see all my project reminders at the top.

With evernote BETA that went way and I can't find a way to show my reminders by notebook/project

2) If I need to get to a note, I now need more clicks.

Click the icon on the left to get to notes, find a notebook through the gigantic font list of notebooks, click a notebook and open a note. (4 clicks)

Previously, I would just pick a notebook from the side view and see all notes and chose the note I wanted (2 clicks)

3) Design is confusing

Fonts are huge, the notes list is centered on my scree (21") so there's a lot of weird white space around it.

There are not very clearly defined boundaries between different sectinos of the screen. It's hard to tell where the separation of the note title and the note text is.

The new note toolbar on the side isn't helpful at all, I would like to see all options at glance.

4) The interface is completely different from the PC/MAC

Why completely change something that worked well, instead of improving performance of the previous web interface ?

5) Can't find a way to go back

I had just switched to a premium account yesterday. Since I cannot seem to be able to continue using my previous workflow in this new interface, I'm going to have to reconsider staying a paid customer.

This is really awful.

Who came up with this design?

Too much white space. 

No more list view? (Or am i missing something?). Where are the reminder options?

I've been a premium customer for a couple of years, but I'm done with all these UI changes across the different platforms. Switching over to an alternative service.

• Level 5

If you find how to go back to non-beta mode, please post.

Click on the gear at the bottom of the toolbar on the left hand side and you’ll be taken to your account summary.

The Beta section contains a link to go back to the old version.

Even worse, there's no way that I was able to find to even set a reminder on a note, never mind view reminders that already exist.  It looks to me like the Reminders feature is going away entirely, which is terrible!  That was one of the best feature upgrades Evernote came out with; really allows the platform to be used for productive work instead of just as a digital filing cabinet.  

My god... Just... my god... This is truly awful... I don't want "pretty" I want functional!

Sort my tags alphabetically? Who designed that? NO! I made them exactly like the "the secret weapon" setup. And I do NOT want to move away from that way of working because of a design change.

Quite frankly, and I do not say such things often; but this beta design is truly awful and "unworkable". Back to the drawing board with this one.

That did it, thank you.

If you find how to go back to non-beta mode, please post.

Click on the gear at the bottom of the toolbar on the left hand side and you’ll be taken to your account summary.

The Beta section contains a link to go back to the old version.

The new beta is terrible. No stacks, tag organization  and reminders lost... switched back to the old version, too. Thinking about buying Premium, but if functionality is going down the drain, I won't do it.

• Level 5

Oh my god!

I just had a look at it. It looks like the update from the iOS version 6 to 7. So much functionallity not there any more, so much unused space, so unintuitive. I really hope it is a very early beta. I am using Evernote Web at my work place because I am using Linux. If this interface became reality I would have to stop using Evernote for work. Why did Evernote not learn from the previous desasters when introducing new clients that had impact on the workflow of so many? I can not understand this. Are 100+ million users too many? Well, this is a way to reduce that number.

My big complain is contrast.  There is none.  Everything is gray, and hard to see.  I get "distraction" free, but hard to see is another thing.  This is unfortunately starting to a common practice.  

Oh dear.  I can't help but think that this where they are headed for all the platforms (the lack of nested tags is a deal breaker for me). What's his name, Libin is it? I read yesterday that he's big on getting rid of conventional notions like folders or any kind of organizational structure that he claims is outdated and comes from those "paper" days, where computers just conceptualized of virtual "filing cabinets" and the like to deal with "virtual" paper. While I can't fault anyone for wanting to re-conceptualize the idea of how we can work with computers, I fear his notions of doing away with everything except a "search" function will be imposed on me, and I can't work that way. I need to somehow separate "cumin" the ingredient from "how to store cumin" otherwise my search for cumin will be 200 pages long. And let's face it, the search functionality in evernote is no where near as great as it is touted to be. No where near as great.

• Level 5

Poooh, I just read this:

The old web client will continue to exist indefinitely, Libin said, because the company is "afraid" to get rid of it.

That means I can continue working with the old version at least for some time until the new interface gets useable.

• Level 5*

Thank god its just the beta!

Yes, but the trend we are seeing is discouraging.  I think those of us that prefer data density and UI options are going to get increasingly disappointed with the product but I really hope I'm wrong.

• Ex Employees

The new beta is terrible. No stacks, tag organization  and reminders lost... switched back to the old version, too. Thinking about buying Premium, but if functionality is going down the drain, I won't do it.

Keyword is beta. Your feedback and suggestions are helpful for working out kinks!

Thank god its just the beta!

Yes, but the trend we are seeing is discouraging.  I think those of us that prefer data density and UI options are going to get increasingly disappointed with the product and I really hope I'm wrong.

Well, it is hard to say one way or another here. I agree, I don't think I'd like it if this was how the desktop client ended up looking. Libin's speech on stage gave the impression that the web client was being designed as an entirely new, independent entity, rather than a replacement for the desktop clients. So, you might end up with a distraction-free writing-oriented web interface with comparatively (hopefully not too) sparse interface, while the desktop clients continue to be the location for heavy-duty stuff that requires more info-density. Libin seemed to be vehement that it was no longer attempting to replicate the desktop functionality on the web, and that it was trying to create an entirely new tool tailored specifically to that environment. That is, avoiding the shoehorn, or, perhaps, trying not to place the square peg in a browser hole.  

• Level 5*

Keyword is beta. Your feedback and suggestions are helpful for working out kinks!

@charboyd:

I think most of us understand that.  BUT, you could have, and SHOULD have, provided notice on the Beta signup screen as to what features were missing.  Evernote has had a very bad habit for the last year or so of just dropping features without notice.

Also, you guys are NOT following the long-established definition of BETA.  A Beta version is supposed to be FEATURE COMPLETE, and to released to the public after rigorous internal testing.

For the record, I HATE this new UI design.  It looks very much like you have taken the EN iPad UI and tried to put it on a PC or Mac web browser.  Bad idea.

I for one like the new interface, especially the expanded view for note editing. I appreciate minimal interfaces that get out of the way of your work.

Obviously this is just a beta, so half of the Evernote features are still missing (which means I'll have to use the old app for now), but I am looking forward to subsequent releases.

Something that would help is quick keyboard shortcuts for searching, new note, etc.

• Level 5*

I think the new web client looks pretty, and it is an expression of the design philosophy that Evernote has been advocating for years, so it should come as no surprise to anyone who has been following them. It has also gotten positive reviews from the tech-press.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/2/6893765/evernote-redesigned-its-note-taking-web-app-and-its-gorgeous

The web design is pretty much the opposite of what I would like to see, though. Instead of information density and having everything at hand to get work done, I think a lot of users are probably going to appreciate the sea of white space -- information scarcity. Anecdotally, it seemed to me that people saw the old interface appeared cluttered and confusing. I also thought it could use some work, but this new version wasn't exactly what I had in mind. What's the point of a 15" retina display, after all, if it's just going to display a blank screen? At least, that is my thinking. Ideally, I'd like to see a wealth of powerful tools presented in a refined way (a better version of the oft-maligned Microsoft ribbon?) rather than having fewer things all squirreled away.

In addition to information density, I would have also preferred new features. I am afraid collaboration was the least of my worries, and I am more or less satisfied right now with how my email works. That's not to say that I don't see a need or use for the collaboration stuff. I think Business users, in particular, will be thrilled. And, I am glad to see that this might solve some of the complaints Evernote gets from users looking for real-time collaboration. It's just that I am more enthusiastic about the original Evernote vision for a personal external brain, and I was hoping for some more tools to see that aspect improved. In particular, I'd like encryption and selective sync. It's been about a year and a half since Phil mentioned "sexy encryption." I am guessing that has been abandoned in favor of "sexy collaboration." Admittedly, the second one probably appeals to a wide audience, but I do wish that Evernote had followed through with the first one.

Again, these are my own, personal quibbles. With 100+ million customers, Evernote seems to be doing something right, and I imagine they know what is best for growing their business. How many other products do you use that generate this level of excitement? I think there is a reason we don't hear every year about an Outlook or OneNote conference. If all goes well, this conference will re-invigorate the company so that it will be able to continue competing in this space (products that bridge the gap between personal and professional environments).

• Level 5*

I for one like the new interface, especially the expanded view for note editing. I appreciate minimal interfaces that get out of the way of your work.

Obviously this is just a beta, so half of the Evernote features are still missing (which means I'll have to use the old app for now), but I am looking forward to subsequent releases.

Something that would help is quick keyboard shortcuts for searching, new note, etc.

What's the point of releasing a Beta that is HALF finished?

• As the remaining features are added (IF they are ever added) you run the risk of new bugs, of causing existing features to break
  • Why put your users through all that pain and confusion?
  • It's not like the current version was crippled
  • It's not like your users were demanding/pleading for a new version.

IMO, it is irresponsible to release a public beta missing so many features, especially when you don't notify the user BEFORE he/she accepts the new Beta of the missing features.

Where is Evernote's statement of intent for this huge change in UI?

• What is your objective?
  • What features are missing that you plan to provide before a GA release?
  • What features are you dropping?
  • Level 5*

The web design is pretty much the opposite of what I would like to see, though. Instead of information density and having everything at hand to get work done, 

. . .

. What's the point of a 15" retina display, after all, if it's just going to display a blank screen? At least, that is my thinking. Ideally, I'd like to see a wealth of powerful tools presented in a refined way (a better version of the oft-maligned Microsoft ribbon?) rather than having fewer things all squirreled away.

In addition to information density, I would have also preferred new features.

. . .

It's just that I am more enthusiastic about the original Evernote vision for a personal external brain, and I was hoping for some more tools to see that aspect improved. In particular, I'd like encryption and selective sync. It's been about a year and a half since Phil mentioned "sexy encryption." I am guessing that has been abandoned in favor of "sexy collaboration." Admittedly, the second one probably appeals to a wide audience, but I do wish that Evernote had followed through with the first one.

GM, I strongly agree with your statements that I quoted above (apologize for the heavy editing of your post).  

IMO, Evernote is going in the wrong direction with their overly simplistic, flat, hard-to-read UI design, with their dropping of critical features unannounced (or at all actually), and with their failure to provide a secure, encrypted Cloud service.

. . . With 100+ million customers, Evernote seems to be doing something right, and I imagine they know what is best for growing their business. 

I'm not so sure.  Since most of the 100M+ are FREE account users, it doesn't take much of a threshold for a user to download it.  What we don't know is how many users effectively quit using EN after the download.  I have downloaded many iOS Apps based on reviews and/or promotion by Apple that I quickly deleted or quit using.  I still have the Apple iOS iWork Apps on both my iPhone and iPad that I NEVER use.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the agreement with my sentiments. I wouldn't say Evernote's direction is "wrong." I think it answers the needs of many users, so I expect it will find a lot of support out there, and I guess that makes it "right." There are plenty of folks looking for a minimalistic interface that just lets them type notes. If they ever generate tens of thousands of notes, I don't see how this interface will be especially helpful for managing them, but I'd say most users have less than a hundred notes, and they'll never encounter this problem of scalability. As you said, there are a lot of free users.

I see this interface as a bold statement of intent. If the features aren't there now, they may come someday, but they are not the "core" ones Evernote considers as important. Otherwise, they'd be there at the outset, right? Evernote seems to be aiming for a minimalistic, collaborative experience with a low barrier to entry. Encryption isn't part of that equation, and if it ever is, I suspect it will be a minor one, perhaps on a note by note basis. That's my interpretation of this announcement.

They said in their blog post that they knew some people would disagree with their approach, so they've listened and thought about what we've said, which is much appreciated. They have simply decided to go in another direction. I think the beta is performing that job exactly as they intended, and now users have to decide if this is what they want. I doubt, though, that we'll see a 180 degree turn on something rolled out in the keynote.

• Level 5*

No stacks, tag organization, reminders = kinks?   :huh:  With all due respect, charboyd, really?   

Maybe let folks know when the release is ready for prime time and then it can be tested.  It's even hard to test pretty if you can't run the release through your normal processes.

I'll add my vote to the "bring back reminders" thread - they are critical in my workflow.

Another beta irritant is no option to view all notes in stack only by notebook.

I hope this is a half finished product and not a move to (over)simplify the web interface and only offer advanced functionality in the app. I use EN web at work & don't want to have to beg ICT to evaluate & install the app because EN web is unusable. I ditched two other products before turning to EN because the apps or web version were too cut down to effectively work on all platforms.

• Level 5*

GM, I'm not sure that CEO Phil Libin really cares about what his users think or want.  He has had his own ideas about how Evernote should look and work from day one.  For the longest time he kept telling reporters that Evernote designs it products for their own benefit, how they personally want it to work.  He seems to value doing something new over doing it well.  He has some far-out ideas (like replacing MS Office, or just doing away with "files") that will turn out to be either brilliant or crazy.  You know the outcome I think will happen.

When EN Mac was on Ver 3, I really thought it was a great product, that needed a few tweaks, a few more features, and of course better encryption, but overall was a very useful product.  While it has gained a few of the features I really wanted (like Side List View), it has, starting with Ver 5, gone downhill.

• Ex Employees

I'll add my vote to the "bring back reminders" thread - they are critical in my workflow.

I hope this is a half finished product and not a move to (over)simplify the web interface and only offer advanced functionality in the app. I use EN web at work & don't want to have to beg ICT to evaluate & install the app because EN web is unusable. I ditched two other products before turning to EN because the apps or web version were too cut down to effectively work on all platforms.

Reminders are only temporarily not available on the new beta, but should be available shortly. You can always revert back to original view to access Reminders. 

To revert back to original view: Go to Settings > Account Summary > next to Beta select 'Go back to old version'

Love the new interface, I think it's a gorgeous design and appreciate the clean feel!

I am sad to see these features missing (of course, its only a Beta). My workflow to re-arrange and sort notebooks as a project develops will be quite cumbersome as it stands. If I knew exactly what a note was going to be and which notebook it would end up in, I wouldn't need an external brain. You've made it easy to sit down and jump into typing a new note (appreciated!), but after-the-fact sorting, searching, re-arranging in bulk, etc. is equally important to me (if not more so).

Thanks for letting us in on the design/beta process.

• Level 5*

Reminders are only temporarily not available on the new beta, but should be available shortly. You can always revert back to original view to access Reminders. 

To revert back to original view: Go to Settings > Account Summary > next to Beta select 'Go back to old version'

This is VERY unintuitive.  It would be best if your put a button/link that is ALWAYS visible on the Beta screen to "Revert to Normal Non-Beta Version".  This should also be explained on the screen where the user signs up for the Beta.

Thanks fo the info! Evernote is such a fantastic service as it is - I hope that this beta will carry all good old features soon :-). Btw I think that the new design is nice, perhaps a little airy for those who focus on functionality, but it is absolutely nice. Thanks again!

I have tried the new web app.

The UI is visually nice, typography, transition etc. but my experience as a user is not good. 

The main problem why I want switch back from beta after 2mins is the sidebar.  The accessibility had gone bad for me.

Unlike before, you just need a 1-click to switch from one note to another and you don't have to wait for the collapsing sidebar with transition effect.

I hope you could retain that good user experience of the original version.

Cheers,

Take

Woah, who came up with the idea of starting up with an empty page to type in? I cannot remember creating a new note in the web client ever. I use it for searching/browsing existing information when I am away from my own devices. I cannot be the only one? Now, more clicks for everything, and after clicking less information on the page because... "pretty whitespace"?

Not happy. 

Just tried the new Beta, gave up after a few minutes. On the "old" version I just need 1 (one) click to acess my shortcuts and all other notebooks by that matter. Now I need double or more clicks. Also when I try to switch to anotehr notebook on the top, it just changes the notebook "crumb" but the main note itself I was in, continues to be displayed.

Prettier, but with worst usability IMHO.

I just tried this BETA version out and am thankful to the earlier poster who told us how to go back to the old version of Evernote Web. I had a play around for about 30 minutes and here are my issues I came up with:

• Too much unused white-space around. This is not ideal for those of us with widescreen monitors. In fact, the main reason for me upgrading my monitor to a bigger widescreen was so that I can view Evernote easily!
  • Note cannot actually be viewed full screen even if full screen mode is selected using the 4 arrows button (one of my notes still had the horizontal scroll bar at the bottom). Again white-space not utilised properly!
  • Images in a note are still compressed (small) even when viewing in full screen mode.
  • Couldn't find a way to download an image onto my computer!
  • My note links (hyperlinks linking notes together) didn't work in BETA.
  • It was annoying to click "Done" button after creating a new note and there was no way to navigate to other notebooks without first clicking "Done".
  • Right click on the note snippet no longer works!
  • And finally, the BIG thing that I need the most is that my reminders functionality was no where to be seen!! What happened there Evernote?

The only good thing I can see about the new BETA is that it is more smoother to navigate and similar to Google apps. And yes it is definitely distraction free because of the mass of white-space around it! But I rather have all my notebooks and tags and note lists and note view to be visible to me all at once. This is not a distraction to me but rather improves my productivity.

I can see how this new BETA version would be ideal for a newbie (light) user who is not familiar with Evernotes powerful functionality. However, this would definitely cause a lot of frustration for those of us who have been using Evernote for years and are familiar with what initially attracted us to Evernote in the first place.

My opinion is Evernote go back to the drawing board and rethink this new BETA version. Yes, you can make improvements but not like this please.

I like it, but it REALLY needs to bring back reminders. I don't think it'd be too hard to keep the minimalist interface and bring back this essential function. I'll be heading back to the regular version... which is a shame. I'm a designer and aesthetics counts - but it can't trump functionality.

I like it, but it REALLY needs to bring back reminders. I don't think it'd be too hard to keep the minimalist interface and bring back this essential function. I'll be heading back to the regular version... which is a shame. I'm a designer and aesthetics counts - but it can't trump functionality.

I couldn't have said it simpler.  I do agree that aesthetics are important but need to be balanced by functionality.

Hopefully someone at Evernote is reading through the feedback provided through this thread a re-thinking some of these early design options.

I like the concepts being explored here.  I also appreciate the option to see the "in progress" view of the work.  I also hope that a more feature rich version will be the end result but think it makes sense to gather feedback and impressions along the way.

i could see value is user customization of how information dense the web UI is.  This could allow users to adjust the user experience to how they user Evernote.  Please keep the visibility and openness as things progress, but maybe some more clarity would be good on where the team is in the development road map and what features are coming next etc.

Thanks!

Woah, who came up with the idea of starting up with an empty page to type in? I cannot remember creating a new note in the web client ever. I use it for searching/browsing existing information when I am away from my own devices. I cannot be the only one? Now, more clicks for everything, and after clicking less information on the page because... "pretty whitespace"?

Not happy. 

While it doesn't make me unhappy, I definitely agree that this is an odd place to start. Start me in my default notebook or in All Notes, that's a more logical starting location for me! (Even better, let users choose their landing page!) 

As has been stated numerous times by staff, Reminders will return, they just didn't make it into the first public beta version. 

Just to add to all the comments; the new interface is that sparce, "clean", interface - that prevernts me from being productive. I do know some folks like having a white screen to think, sometimes so do I. But to organzie my thoguths I need tools that the new UI takes away from me. Thank goodness I can go back to the old UI, but Evernote, please hear the voice of your users. At least allow a choice for those of us who like access to tools, maybe simply add a button or toggle for plain white.

First off, the key word is beta, as charboyd pointed out. Betas are released in an attempt to find out what does and doesn't work, and tweak accordingly. So I certainly wouldn't expect this to feel like a fully finished product.

1. Yes the missing Reminders are a bit annoying in the beta version, but we already have the answer for that. I typically only use the Reminders feature at work, and since all my work Notes exist in one Notebook, my current workaround is simply to add a character or number to the title so it sits on the top. I realize this doesn't work for everyone, but if you want to be someone to help make the beta better, it's best to use it as much as possible.

2. I don't get the extra clicks problem? I have the same amount of clicks to navigate, but I also use the Shortcuts in EN, so maybe that makes a difference for me?

3. Navigation-wise, the only thing I found confusing was how to indicate what notebook to put a note in when creating a new one. After playing around, I realized it is in the top corner of the page, defaulting to the last notebook you put a note in. Just click to change. I am not sure if I did not see it at first because of the contrast level of my screen, or if that part is just in need of some extra design enhancement.

There is also an obvious font-size & font-type change between note titles and note content, so again, maybe that is a unique user problem and not global?

4. I will have to check the difference between Mac & PC, but this was the case before, so is that really a change? I use the app on my Mac at home, so I guess I do not notice a difference, because the two are already different.

5. We have the answer to that question now as well.

Over all, I actually like the beta. Yes, there are some tweaks needed, but I like the clean feel. It reminds me of Google Keep, which is where I keep personal To Do lists and notes that have a short shelf life - less cleanup within EN that way, and I can do location reminders on Keep, which aren't available (as far as I know) on EN. I like the lack of distraction on the screen when creating a new note - just need to make the location of the note & tags for the note a little more obvious. I like the larger font because it doesn't strain my eyes when looking through EN on my computer screen. I don't have fancy tag trees, so I cannot comment on how the beta effects that. I always work in alpha order.

So yes, beta will always need some bugs worked out, but I like the direction they are taking.  :)

Hi,

I just got a pop-up message suggesting I changed to the Evernote Web BETA interface.

I must say that I'm extremelly disappointed with this update.

Here are a couple of reasons:

1) No reminders on top of notes when I click on a notebook

I run multiple projects in Evernote, each one has a notebook. In these notebooks I store project information, research and todos or reminders.

If I want to see what I have to do, at a glance, in the previous version I would just click the notebook and see all my project reminders at the top.

With evernote BETA that went way and I can't find a way to show my reminders by notebook/project

2) If I need to get to a note, I now need more clicks.

Click the icon on the left to get to notes, find a notebook through the gigantic font list of notebooks, click a notebook and open a note. (4 clicks)

Previously, I would just pick a notebook from the side view and see all notes and chose the note I wanted (2 clicks)

3) Design is confusing

Fonts are huge, the notes list is centered on my scree (21") so there's a lot of weird white space around it.

There are not very clearly defined boundaries between different sectinos of the screen. It's hard to tell where the separation of the note title and the note text is.

The new note toolbar on the side isn't helpful at all, I would like to see all options at glance.

4) The interface is completely different from the PC/MAC

Why completely change something that worked well, instead of improving performance of the previous web interface ?

5) Can't find a way to go back

I had just switched to a premium account yesterday. Since I cannot seem to be able to continue using my previous workflow in this new interface, I'm going to have to reconsider staying a paid customer.

Not happy. 

I can agree with this. I use the web interface pretty much exclusively and create lots of notes in it, but I still don't like the default screen to be a new note. It assumes what the user wants to do instead of allowing the user to decide what he/she wants to do.

I'm going to play with the new format some, but one thing that I use and I encourage the users I have shared notebooks with is to sort the notes by creation date. This keeps one or two key notes at the top of my shared notebook because I've edited their creation date until the end of the school year. I'm sharing with a high school debate club so I keep the meeting assignment chart at the top along with a resource note. Both these include links to other notes in the notebook so they aid navigation. 

In Beta the sort is set to latest updated notes and every new time you open the page it resets to this setting. Which means you have to reset each time you come to the web version. Practically this is a less useful way to work. Yes, I could edit (well not in the web version since that is still not something you can edit in beta) the date updated to the future as I did the date created, but that takes away the updated information that can exist in addition to the creation date. So I can't check to see when I less edited this information. Further I have questions about if I make this change to the notes, will it stick or will it be changed each time I edit the notes? 

I think the new beta version looks great, and I suppose you are not really finished with it yet.

In the web version I use at my university computer (we are not allowed to install any software) I can no longer view a note in fullscreen when I have found it through the search option. This is critical as I have all my research for my thesis in Evernote, and I need to search (not scroll) through it to find the things I am looking for. My research is mediocre quality screenshots of scanned newspapers, so I really need them in fullscreen to be able to read what it says. Hopefully you will get to this shortly (and hopefully my laptop will awaken from the dead soon so this won't be a problem...)

Okay, my next problem is that note links now force open the Windows desktop client when click on which defeats my purpose in using web (avoiding the freezing glitchy Windows desktop client). In the current nonbeta version, clicking on these jumps me to the note. 

I'm going to play with the new format some, but one thing that I use and I encourage the users I have shared notebooks with is to sort the notes by creation date. This keeps one or two key notes at the top of my shared notebook because I've edited their creation date until the end of the school year. I'm sharing with a high school debate club so I keep the meeting assignment chart at the top along with a resource note. Both these include links to other notes in the notebook so they aid navigation. 

In Beta the sort is set to latest updated notes and every new time you open the page it resets to this setting. Which means you have to reset each time you come to the web version. Practically this is a less useful way to work. Yes, I could edit (well not in the web version since that is still not something you can edit in beta) the date updated to the future as I did the date created, but that takes away the updated information that can exist in addition to the creation date. So I can't check to see when I less edited this information. Further I have questions about if I make this change to the notes, will it stick or will it be changed each time I edit the notes? 

Okay so I decided to test my question at the end and the bad news is that editing these documents return them to the current date and time defeating my editting of the update time to a future date. 

Perfect avatar. LOL.

This thread reminds us for the umpteenth time that we have to give everyone a very easy way to Go Back when inviting the user base into the crowd-sourced design process. I'd suggest Take Me Back and Take Me Forward links below the Look Around button. The Take Me Back flow might include a choice of "don't show me this beta again" or "meh, it's not ready; remind me again in 30 days and I'll check it out again." This way, you might pick up more users in subsequent rounds and you get to use it as a sorting hat for future invites to crowd-sourced alpha/beta testing.

That said, what some people refer to as weird white space, others find refreshingly clean, even Tufte-esque (Edward Tufte). The design goal of removing distraction is vital for any product these days. Stretch goal might be to cultivate productive focus.

I do agree that Reminders should be atop the left-margin list, above Shortcuts. It's our ToDo list and belongs on top. Minimizing clicks was mentiond and is of course an eternal quest.

Elle the elephant could be used utilized as a mouseover target offering Preferences, Leave Beta, and Log Out. Log out needs to be closer at hand for sure.

My biggest hurdle with Evernote is on Android and Windows, and the Sisyphean task of fast indexing, search, display of PBDS (Personal Big Data Stores). Amber Case makes a great point about people doing Personal Digital Archeology or something along those lines, and that's essentiall EN's primary mission in life, for both business and personal use. Also, it might be competitive to see Elle take on Siri in a very humble way, with low expectations, not to replace Siri, but to provide different kinds of personality agents for different kinds of tasks or queries. "Okay Elle ..." Often we don't need or want to ask the whole universe about something, just query what we've already pre-authenticated as salient.

This is a great time to work on the future of Evernote because we're only now understanding extended cognition sufficiently to begin playing with different modes for extending human capablities with ubiquitous mind-machine interfaces (MMI). P.S. It's all MMI, whether we use electrode thinking caps, voice, typing, or any other mode of interaction; and it's only going to become more embedded, more intimate, more ubuiquitous, moving forward.

Good times. May the complexity gods show a little leniency in light of such lofty goals. Personally, I like the gumption, the gall, the insight, the daring of breaking the molds in order to create breakthrough products. Find the other users who share this sentiment and you'll have the most powerful focus group on the planet. I participated in this way with early PeopleBrowsr and other products and it's always a blast. Onward!

That said, what some people refer to as weird white space, others find refreshingly clean, even Tufte-esque (Edward Tufte). The design goal of removing distraction is vital for any product these days. Stretch goal might be to cultivate productive focus.

EN is an information storing vault. Productivity in this context is to access a lot of information in a short time. A list of notes divided by huge pieces of nothing, the way the notes / notebook list is out of view unless clicked, and the opening single notes in a new window does not help prodictivity, it hinders it.

I'm afraid what we are looking at in the web version is what is planned for the desktop versions, too. That would be a terrible thing to do to us.

EN is an information storing vault. Productivity in this context is to access a lot of information in a short time. A list of notes divided by huge pieces of nothing, the way the notes / notebook list is out of view unless clicked, and the opening single notes in a new window does not help prodictivity, it hinders it.

I'm afraid what we are looking at in the web version is what is planned for the desktop versions, too. That would be a terrible thing to do to us.

1) I half agree. I like a bit of white space to keep things nice and easy to look at. However, the Beta is a bit overboard in that regard and it looks... sparse. 

2) I think Libin explicitly stated that the entire purpose of this new web version was to differentiate it from the desktop versions. That is, as per Libin's keynote, their original goal for the web interface was to attempt to feature-match a desktop client. However, as he stated, this worked poorly. It was technically challenging or impossible to do that effectively, and it wasn't an effective user experience. The beta is a reflection of a new direction, a new way in which Evernote conceptualizes the web interface as a totally discrete client from the desktop clients. The web client will, as Libin suggested, highlight the very best of what can actually be done effectively on the web. It will offer, as I interpret Libin's statements, a profoundly different experience from the desktop clients. 

We can impute, then, based on the desire to make the web client different, that this is NOT the direction in which the desktop clients will go (because that would defeat the idea of them being different). The desktop clients will continue to be developed to take advantage of the desktop context, so likely designed towards doing the heavier lifting and whatnot that is just a bit cumbersome or impossible in the web. 

So, I don't buy the argument that Evernote's going to transplant the web interface or something similar to the desktop. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some design cues moving to the desktop clients for branding and coherence reasons. However I don't think the desktop clients will be simplified/streamlined/dumbed down in the same way the web will be. 

I like the stripped-back interface, it's a much cleaner space for writing. I also like the fact that the side menu is collapsible and you can focus solely on the one note. However some of the functionality is lost, I see a lot of people losing their sh*t over the reminders being missing but it sounds as if that will be added when the alpha release is rolled out. Do we have a date for when the release will be happening?

1) I half agree. I like a bit of white space to keep things nice and easy to look at. However, the Beta is a bit overboard in that regard and it looks... sparse. 

2) I think Libin explicitly stated that the entire purpose of this new web version was to differentiate it from the desktop versions. That is, as per Libin's keynote, their original goal for the web interface was to attempt to feature-match a desktop client. However, as he stated, this worked poorly. It was technically challenging or impossible to do that effectively, and it wasn't an effective user experience. The beta is a reflection of a new direction, a new way in which Evernote conceptualizes the web interface as a totally discrete client from the desktop clients. The web client will, as Libin suggested, highlight the very best of what can actually be done effectively on the web. It will offer, as I interpret Libin's statements, a profoundly different experience from the desktop clients. 

We can impute, then, based on the desire to make the web client different, that this is NOT the direction in which the desktop clients will go (because that would defeat the idea of them being different). The desktop clients will continue to be developed to take advantage of the desktop context, so likely designed towards doing the heavier lifting and whatnot that is just a bit cumbersome or impossible in the web. 

So, I don't buy the argument that Evernote's going to transplant the web interface or something similar to the desktop. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some design cues moving to the desktop clients for branding and coherence reasons. However I don't think the desktop clients will be simplified/streamlined/dumbed down in the same way the web will be. 

The main reason for me using Evernote Web is because the desktop client for Windows is buggy! So I am forced to use the web client for my daily Evernote work. I would be quite happy to use the desktop client solely only if it was bug-free. Unfortunately, Evernote does not have a very good track record of producing bug-free software. I've lost count the number of times I've had to send support requests to them reporting problematic glitches in the software. So the only thing keeping me going is the solid robust version of Evernote Web. And to be honest, I like the fact that it is the same setup as the the desktop clients. This means it is easier to learn and use should anyone need to use it when the desktop client is unavailable.

If Evernote are truly going on this road of having a different layout on desktop clients and a totally different layout on the web. Then I can forsee many users becoming confused and this will require more learning time. Also many tips and tricks one uses in the desktop client will no longer be possible in the web version due to a different user interface. So to me this doesn't make sense to have different layouts.

In my opinion (I maybe wrong), but I think Evernote might eventually abandon the desktop clients altogether and just focus on having a web version. The only problem with this would be the difficulty in backing up certain notebooks for private use or downloading notebooks/notes locally onto the PC. The other option, of course maybe would be to congruous all the software so that it works and behaves similarly.

The new interface has many problems, most are missing features which we're used to from the web interface. Since this UI is completely new and not just a few changes here and there, many users are confused and upset that their reliable systems do not work anymore. 

1. I think relaxing in general is in order. This is a beta version, which you can easily roll back (click the gear icon at the bottom left). 
  2. Many features are missing not because Evernote decided to take them out completely, but because they are not supported yet in the new design. These features require more work and coding (I assume) and they will come to the new UI through the different beta versions. 

As a writer, I love the new interface. It's clean. It gets out of the way. All the font options I want are right under my finger when I highlight a phrase, which allow me to focus on typing only. In the past, writing inside the web client felt so clunky, I decided to use Gmail and send emails into my Evernote account instead. I don't need to know about my notebooks and tags as I write, it's just a distraction. 

As an organized professional, I hate the new UI. My tags not very helpful, and nested tags are a mess. My notes are no longer organized in helpful little thumbnails, they now blend into the background and make it hard to distinguish. The system is built on a new web design standard that became more popular in the last couple of  years, and borrows icons from Apple, which confuses me as a Windows-Google user. 

Evernote's new UI suffers from a split personality which is also in its heart. It's not fully an organizational app and not really a note-taking app. It's something that meshes somewhere in the middle. 

I hope that the new Beta will start rolling the new-old features soon (hyperlinks, nested tags) and new-about-time-you-do-it features which are really no brainier. (offline support and keyboard shortcuts). There is one place where it doesn't matter if you use a Mac or a Windows machine, and that's the web. This means that whatever Evernote designs here can be and should be the main product -- no longer the unwanted ugly child in the footsteps of the parent's favorite (Apple) or the other brother (Windows). Perhaps this will also be a change in Evernote philsophy, and how they see their main product. Is it really remember everything, organize everything or record everything? We can't keep being ALL THE THINGS over here. 

Great to know, thank you!

The main reason for me using Evernote Web is because the desktop client for Windows is buggy! So I am forced to use the web client for my daily Evernote work. I would be quite happy to use the desktop client solely only if it was bug-free. Unfortunately, Evernote does not have a very good track record of producing bug-free software. I've lost count the number of times I've had to send support requests to them reporting problematic glitches in the software. So the only thing keeping me going is the solid robust version of Evernote Web. And to be honest, I like the fact that it is the same setup as the the desktop clients. This means it is easier to learn and use should anyone need to use it when the desktop client is unavailable.

If Evernote are truly going on this road of having a different layout on desktop clients and a totally different layout on the web. Then I can forsee many users becoming confused and this will require more learning time. Also many tips and tricks one uses in the desktop client will no longer be possible in the web version due to a different user interface. So to me this doesn't make sense to have different layouts.

In my opinion (I maybe wrong), but I think Evernote might eventually abandon the desktop clients altogether and just focus on having a web version. The only problem with this would be the difficulty in backing up certain notebooks for private use or downloading notebooks/notes locally onto the PC. The other option, of course maybe would be to congruous all the software so that it works and behaves similarly.

They tried that last bit already - to make the web client mirror the desktop clients. There's too much functionality that doesn't transfer, or at least doesn't transfer well. In-client image and pdf annotation come to mind, not to mention the ability to arrange tags and stacks to one's preference. A distraction-free note editor is a great idea, but I wonder if the web client is the right place for it. In my use case, the only time I use the web interface is if I'm looking for something. If I need to compose, I'll use the Windows client or the iOS client. I'd much rather have a spiffy search interface be the default screen on the web than this still-clunky white space affair.

New web bata is too iOS like. Needs more controls. I understand the sleek new redesign. But a lot of features that used to be there are no longer there.

1) Reminders view

2) Nesting of tags

3)Collapsible sidebar options. Ability to see notebooks in sidebar.

4) Why is the favorite button next to the trash button when you hover over a note. Seems too easy to accidentally trash a note.

5) Doesn't take advantage of full browser real estate. Lots of blank space in notes list view. 

Overall I like the sleekness but just like the iOS app can be customized there should be the option to customize the sidebar and view options.

New web bata is too iOS like. Needs more controls. I understand the sleek new redesign. But a lot of features that used to be there are no longer there.

1) Reminders view

2) Nesting of tags

4) Why is the favorite button next to the trash button when you hover over a note. Seems too easy to accidentally trash a note.

5) Doesn't take advantage of full browser real estate. Lots of blank space in notes list view. 

Overall I like the sleekness but just like the iOS app can be customized there should be the option to customize the sidebar and view options.

1) Reminders view

2) Nesting of tags

To be fair, I have a very hard time getting around the old web interface because it is SO different from the Mac interface. In order for me to effectively use the old interface without being confused, I would need to commit some time to learning its intricacies. So the need for users to spend some time learning one client or another isn't new as of the beta. 

I highly doubt Evernote will ditch the desktop clients. There is so little evidence to suggest that will ever happen, and there so much that can only effectively be done with the desktop clients. Their commitments to rewriting the desktop clients, things like "Context" which rely on client-side processing, and so on suggest that the desktop clients are in it for the long haul. If they were interested in phasing out the desktop clients, I don't think they'd be building out new features that wouldn't exist without them. 

To be fair, I have a very hard time getting around the old web interface because it is SO different from the Mac interface. In order for me to effectively use the old interface without being confused, I would need to commit some time to learning its intricacies. So the need for users to spend some time learning one client or another isn't new as of the beta. 

I highly doubt Evernote will ditch the desktop clients. There is so little evidence to suggest that will ever happen, and there so much that can only effectively be done with the desktop clients. Their commitments to rewriting the desktop clients, things like "Context" which rely on client-side processing, and so on suggest that the desktop clients are in it for the long haul. If they were interested in phasing out the desktop clients, I don't think they'd be building out new features that wouldn't exist without them. 

I just hope they keep basic functionality like Reminders, quick accessible notes,  search and a good editor within the notes on the web client and don't dumb it down. Some of us use Evernote in environments where the desktop clients cannot be installed due to corporate policies and so having access to the web client is key.

I use Evernote primarily on the web while at work to keep a handle on projects I'm working on (todos, notes, research, etc.), the mobile app on my phone to capture receipts and other documents that I need to remind my self to go back to and I barely use the desktop client on my mac, just because when I get home I have already used Evernote for the day ! So, Evernote, please don't steal functionality away from the web ! Clean it up a bit, improve the note editor, but don't remove functionality !

----

I'm not familiar with the Mac interface and was referring only to the Windows and Web clients.

Be honest, I'm having a hard time trusting what Evernote will or will not do next. Because "crazy" things have happened! I never thought I'd see the day when Evernote Web would be give such a radical make-over that it no longer equivalent to its Windows client. This move by Evernote makes me really nervous about the forthcoming changes.

Desktop clients may very well continue to exist. But what changes will we see in them that is the question. I hope it is for the good of everyone.

• Level 5*

Tried the beta. Went back to the old Web version. The beta might be useful if I were using a 15" non-widescreen monitor. Total waste of space for modern monitors.

I really hope this 'white space' concept, that so many designers are enamored of (where a particular aesthetic trumps actual productivity), does not infect the desktop clients, but I suspect it eventually will.

I see one thing that hasn't changed is EN's love of low contrast text (another design aesthetic that is near and dear to some EN designer's heart, no doubt).

• Level 5*

Someone mentioned that the new EN Web Beta UI design to too much like the iOS app.

And that got me to thinking (I know, that's a dangerous thing.  ;) )

Because the main EN iOS app was too slow, too difficult to quickly enter a new Note, or a new snapshot/image, a number of EN 3rd party apps sprung up to provide just this capability.  One or two taps and you have entered a new note/snapshot.

So, why doesn't Evernote take this approach on it's Web client.

Offer two clients, each with a quick-switch button to the other, and the ability to set the default you prefer.

Rather than try to provide a great clean-screen app for writing, that also must provide the organization/search features of Evernote, just provide a simple app for writing alone.  Then, if you wish, with the click of one button you're in the "organizational/search" version (shall we call it the "main" version), with your new Note as the active Note to do all the other stuff you want.  Then, if needed, at the click of one button you are back into the clean-screen writing app.

This could be designed as providing the writing screen as a new popup window, which you could make fullscreen if you wish.

Seems like this might satisfy both camps.  What do you think guys?

If you like this idea, please vote for it by clicking on the LIKE button.

I really love Evernote, especially the awesome web clipper and android app.  I run linux so I only have access to the web version.  The new web ui looks nice but is not functional as many others have detailed. My primary complaint is the lack of nesting in the tag structure and missing saved searches.

I just discovered that Google Drive folders still behave as tags.  I found this blog post describing that you only need to hold down the ctrl key to select multiple folders (tags) 

http://www.techulator.com/resources/6212-Multiple-Labels-feature-from-Google-Docs-goes-missing-Google-Drive.aspx

I also added the Save to Google drive chrome extension to compare to evernote web clipper.

I really love Evernote, especially the awesome web clipper and android app.  I run linux so I only have access to the web version.  [..]

You could try out Nixnote. It's a full fledged desktop client for Linux with an interface similar to the regular web interface.

There are deb packages.

Please, don't try Nixnote2, which is still in beta.

After reading this entire thread, it seems pretty clear that Evernote could have saved themselves a lot of grief if they had made it clear what the beta was all about, and that it was not feature complete. If I had known that Reminders weren't there yet, I wouldn't have wasted time trying to figure out where they were, and half the posts in this thread wouldn't be here :)

• Level 5*

After reading this entire thread, it seems pretty clear that Evernote could have saved themselves a lot of grief if they had made it clear what the beta was all about, and that it was not feature complete. If I had known that Reminders weren't there yet, I wouldn't have wasted time trying to figure out where they were, and half the posts in this thread wouldn't be here :)

Yep, it's unbelievable that a professional, experienced development shop would make such a basic, fundamental error.

I see no reason, or value to Evernote, to push out now a half-baked "Beta", which is not really a Beta.  What is the harm of waiting a few weeks, or even months, before releasing a feature complete, well announced Beta via the EN Forums, as they normally do?  

SW Betas, by long-standing definition, are FEATURE COMPLETE.  This is really a rough Alpha, which should be made available for testing ONLY to internal groups, and very selective external users.  IAC, there should have been a big warning that many features are missing, and that it may very well break your current workflow.

• Level 5*

... What is the harm of waiting a few weeks, or even months, before releasing a feature complete, well announced Beta via the EN Forums, as they normally do?  ...

None other than they would have missed the opportunity to show the new interface at the conference.  I'm sure that was a consideration.  Maybe they wanted to have it more feature ready but they went with what they had at the time.  I do agree that they could have done a better job communicating what features were still to come.

Not happy. 

I can agree with this. I use the web interface pretty much exclusively and create lots of notes in it, but I still don't like the default screen to be a new note. It assumes what the user wants to do instead of allowing the user to decide what he/she wants to do.

I AGREE with these two users in that the default startup page of a "new note" does NOT match how I use your product. I tried it for 5 min (4 of which was looking for a way to default to my favorites or list of notes and 30 sec to revert back to the release product).

- my usecase for Evernote is pretty simple: I maintain task lists, to do lists, and simple lists (like restaurants i want to try) and update them from both my mobile devices as well as via the web page. I hardly ever create a new note now and 80% of my editing is probably to one file in particular (my to do list).

- While most of the evernote ecosystem of functionality is not used by me, I have used it for recording audio notes, etc.

- Defaulting to a "new note" only makes sense if you are a student or someone who takes notes with their laptop/tablet constantly. That's not me.

I also agree that the amount of whitespace in this design is excessive. I would prefer a more streamlined look (less like paper journal and more like a web page of post-its). Even if you narrow the width of your window (so its fewer pixels wide -- how I would normally use it vs full screen mode on my PC monitor), there is a ton of wasted white space vertically. Why can I only see one or two existing notes without scrolling? That doesn't make your interface look "fancy", "clean", or "arty". It's just wasteful.

-g

• Level 5*

SW Betas, by long-standing definition, are FEATURE COMPLETE.  This is really a rough Alpha, which should be made available for testing ONLY to internal groups, and very selective external users.  IAC, there should have been a big warning that many features are missing, and that it may very well break your current workflow.

Please stop spouting this as if it's a FACT. It's just one of several definitions of 'beta'; Evernote's not using that one. The original definition is as you say, sure, but words can change their meaning over time; software development has moved on past the waterfall. Even Wikipedia gets the flavor of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta. Evernote clearly want folks to see the direction they are going in, in order to get comments; this is actually potentially a useful strategy in modern software development practices, as it affords early feedback from users. Getting feedback early in the process can make it less likely that resources are wasted pursuing less useful development paths or less desired (by users) features, and may give users a better sense of involvement in the process. Could Evernote have executed this better? I think so; giving users more notice about what was happening, and a clearer exit out of the beta back to the existing release would have probably reduced a few pain points. Evernote is not constrained to follow your assumptions about what 'beta' means.

• Level 5*

I'm in the "you shouldn't call it a beta camp", but I don't think that makes much difference in the scheme of things. Kind of toe-may-toe toe-mah-toe relative to the general disruption, confusion, and sense of wonderment of the many threads spawned by the release. I wonder what a company is thinking when they put their users through something like this. Kind of need to know that to set the level of trust. Looking for feedback is great, but without context this what you get.

So personally, if this release was about the GUI, feedback would be spend less time on making it pretty to enter things and more time on reliability and functionality to find and manage things. More details provided upon request, or just search the feedback on the forums for the most requested items.

If the new beta has already all planned features it will be the end of a powerfull tool! :o

No stacks, tag organization and reminders lost ... switched back to the old version.

Old Disign was not funktional ether, but now I miss the core features ...
if this simlicity stays I will quit and change to MS Onenote. :(

• Level 5*

If the new beta has already all planned features it will be the end of a powerfull tool! :o

No stacks, tag organization and reminders lost ... switched back to the old version.

Please read the numerous posts -- some from Evernote employees -- that tell you that the beta is preliminary, and that functionality will be added back as it's ready.

I am not a fan of the beta interface at all, and just changed back to the normal interface.

I just simply couldn't get anything done. The data wasn't dense enough to do anything at all requiring more than a couple of notebooks. I'm on linux, and depend on the web interface a lot. Please consider making everything a lot more dense. 

The usability in the new beta is just horrible. I hope this gets fixed before it's released, or I'm going to have to switch services, and I really don't want to leave evernote. 

Thank you.

I have had a change of heart about the new web interface now after thinking about it some more. I can see it is currently in BETA so there is a lot of missing features and functionality. However, once Evernote releases the full version I can imagine the benefit this will bring to the work flow, namely less distraction and a clear focus on the task at hand. I think Phil Libin might have a point about the old web interface being clunky.

I just hope that once the new web interface is released it takes into consideration all the users who have expressed their concerns and Evernote designs and builds it so that everything is within easy reach (like notebooks, tags, saved searches, reminders, etc.). I feel the potential is there with the new web interface but the question is will Evernote get it just right? I hope so...

Change can be good sometimes  :)

I do like the clean layout, but not a fun of the over abundant white space, the lack of reminders, and the lack of note and notebook content displayed at the top level.

I am sure there is more, but not worth my time to dive in any further. I will continue using the mac and pc versions accompanied by my mobile apps as well. I thought a redesign might bring me to the web version, but it appears to be heading the wrong way.

I do like the idea of the less distracted approach.  I will wait for the full version to release.

I agree with many of the other comments here opining that simple is not best. The current 3-column layout allows me to work most efficiently, being able to see most everything at once and click back and forth without having to switch views is very handy. I would suggest allowing users to either pin columns to view or having templates that allow a choice between "simple" and "complex, but efficient".   

Dear Evernote design team:  

This web-beta the most horrific design I have even seen.  It is totally unusable.   What a disgrace.   Stop trying to be a bad Johnny Ive.  

Please stop or you will destroy a truly fantastic product.    

Second this. I use both the desktop and web client for collection, organization, and synthesis of information. Being able to see tag/notebook, snippet, and note  panes on the same screen has enhanced my ability categorize and discover relationships. This utility would be completely missing from the proposed design. Why in heaven's name sacrifice the utility that has made Evernote today's pre-eminent information organizer for a trendy design?

If nothing else, this makes no sense from a business standpoint. Someone should tell Phil to read up on what happened to the Tropicana orange juice brand a few years ago when they hired a fashionable designer to redo their old packaging with a minimalist, white-space-all-over layout. Within weeks their sales plummeted, and their competitors gained enough ground that even when Tropicana brought back the familiar packaging they no longer held the dominant position they once did. Information managers ain't fruit juice, but business is business.

I'm sure the good folks at EN are reading these comments with interest. This beta version, admittedly still missing some essential features, doesn't appear to be going down too well. I spent only 10 minutes using it before becoming bored with staring into a white void. I applaud the sentiment and bravery in stepping into the unknown but please listen to the people who use EN and rely on it daily. If it stays optional then great as it's good to have a choice. Please don't abandon your users on a principle or a vision.

And let's face it, the search functionality in evernote is no where near as great as it is touted to be. No where near as great.

So good to see someone else finds EN's searching algorithms are seriously lacking. EN's search is so incredibly literal and, unlike Google and other more up to date approaches, can't seem to find anything except what you type in letter for letter.

I like it. I don't need folders, a search bar is sufficient. Still, I'll wait to use this as my default EN interface until reminders are in.

Seeing as EN's search feature is so frustratingly literal, a search bar is sufficient ONLY if you remember some EXACT text that is in a note. Being able to see an entire list of notes and an entire list of notebooks lets those of us who don't have photographic memories scan through notes and notebooks to hunt down information.  A simple search bar, especially one as limited as EN's can never fully replace the need to see things in context.

So good to see someone else finds EN's searching algorithms are seriously lacking. EN's search is so incredibly literal and, unlike Google and other more up to date approaches, can't seem to find anything except what you type in letter for letter.

I think they are trying to be the google of note taking.  One reason google took off was that it offered a clean, clutter free webspace (compared to yahoo and other search engines of the day). There was a box, and you typed. That's it. It was perfect.

Evernote would be fantastic if it had a box like that and worked the way Google did.

If it could search for beef without including "beef tomatoes" or "beef stock", if it could find "New Zealand" without including the hundreds of clippings that all have "© Letterboxd Limited. Made by fans in Auckland, New Zealand" at the bottom of each page, if it could... well, you know what I mean.  Until their search engine becomes the most enviable one in town, then they will have to maintain the "paper" analogy of tags and notebooks and files and folders etc.  This super clean uncluttered version? Not for prime time just yet.  Evernote isn't about note taking as much as it is about finding notes once they are taken.

I like the new BETA's interface overall (because it's good for fingers as well as keyboards and mice), but the lack of features is a worry. It's the Web app route which is good if they can make it as feature rich as the desktop version. I have a windows SURFACE and the windows 8 app has even less features and is not good to use. If they can get the web app to work then this would be a good universal portal to use.

So it's not good if your a power user in it's present BETA form though if your just a windows tablet user that browses and clips then it's fine and a better alternative to the metro app...... (so many platforms to look after) I can imagine the android and iOS apps are probably full featured. :-(

Thanks ever(note) so much for bringing back reminders. 

I just tried the reminders thanks to Jasopolk for notifying us. And I got to say I'm not impressed. What happened to reminders being a different blue font so they are easily distinguishable from the rest of the content? Also I don't like how the reminders are integrated on the top of the note view list and so much white space on the left and right sitting there all blank white!

One other point I like to make is that Evernote should really add some colour to the new web interface. The black font and white space is just so bland. I had to turn the brightness down on my monitor because of all the white as it hurts my eyes

• Level 5*

I just tried the reminders thanks to Jasopolk for notifying us. And I got to say I'm not impressed. What happened to reminders being a different blue font so they are easily distinguishable from the rest of the content? Also I don't like how the reminders are integrated on the top of the note view list and so much white space on the left and right sitting there all blank white!

Reminders are integrated into the top of the note views for the other clients that I use already (Windows, Android, old web client). I kinda prefer them that way, actually. They follow the current note filter. They're there if I want to focus on to-dos, but I can always collapse the reminder sub-list if I want to. They act like any other note, in that if you click on it, the note list slides to the left to make room for the note viewer / editor. Not sure what an appreciably better arrangement would be.

Reminders are integrated into the top of the note views for the other clients that I use already (Windows, Android, old web client). I kinda prefer them that way, actually. They follow the current note filter. They're there if I want to focus on to-dos, but I can always collapse the reminder sub-list if I want to. They act like any other note, in that if you click on it, the note list slides to the left to make room for the note viewer / editor. Not sure what an appreciably better arrangement would be.

It would be appreciably better if the note list didn't disappear unless the user *chose* to make it disappear. The context of my notes within lists and within notebooks is vitally important to me. Having them disappear only to reappear if I click on the correct icon is not functional for me.

Yes,  I do like them this way too. But the point I was trying to make is since Evernote have completely redesigned Evernote Web UI I was kind of expecting a new reminder view maybe towards the right or left to make use of the extra white space. But I was a bit disappointed to see the same layout for reminders. I suppose Evernote like the reminder set-up like this too. I guess I was expecting something extraordinary with reminders since Evernote have already gone out on a limb with the new design.

This is more like alpha though....

Archived