Native Markdown Support

brampeirs

Idea

I agree. I think Markdown support would be useful. It should also be possible to export these notes as .md files so that they can be used in other use cases like pushing a repository to Github.

It would be also be great to automatically update the UI when typing a "- " with a bullet. This happens in other applications like Dropbox Paper where you can automatically get bullets added by typing. Instead of selecting the bullet option in the toolbar.

• Like 4

I couldn't agree more -- I find myself using Evernote -- but the editing is just ok.  I use MD routinely and would strongly stay as a supportive customer if we could have those simple editing tools added.  Creating a note with Markdown support enabled or creating a Markdown note would be ideal!

• Like 2

As Chinese Evernote (yinxiangbiji) team has already implemented markdown support in their version of Evernote, I don't see why not.

I suppose you don't see much requests here because all people using markdown were already switched to new platforms.

People abandon or do not use Evernote for a reason, as generation moves on, Evernote itself is dying fast. If you continue to ignore any voice outside of your current user group, you will lose your current users eventually.

Untitled.png

• Like 6

Markdown is a markup language, extremely simple,  used globally by almost cloud platforms actually and, as developer, I can say it is a simple feature to be implemented, maybe the biggest difficult is to make it compatible with current Evernote markup, so a possible solution would be adding an option "File > New > Markdown note" isolating this markup. I can afirm that many people do not use evernote and end up opting for an alternative (like Inkdrop) that offers fewer features because don't live without a markdown. I'm using evernote premium for some years, but currently I just have my old notes stored with Evernote, because I'm using just a markdown software and putting my files in cloud. Very annoying.

It's regrettable that users don't have voice here. For now I do not intend to renew my license after expiration (2020 January) because I realized that this request is old and never satisfied. Many users asking for, so my request also will not be considered, just one more. Anyway I hope I'm wrong, in this case you will continue to have a loyal customer to keep recommending Evernote. I have a good networking today.

Attached a competitor (Inkdrop) screenshot that is picking-up your customers, like me when my license expires. Let's keep Evernote as leader.

competitor.jpg

• Like 4

Definitely worth looking at Gitbook. It doesn't solve the problem and depending on how you use Evernote you'll get differing milage out of it, but personally I'm finding I use it more than Evernote now, mainly due to Evernote's crappy text editor.

• Like 3

It's interesting that the Chinese version of Evernote(印象笔记)already added markdown support(see attached image)

They are two separate companies now.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/06/07/evernote-is-spinning-out-its-chinese-business-and-it-plans-to-take-it-public/

I hope this feature could be backported to the original version someday.

Xnip2018-11-08_17-29-48.png

I have been a Premium user for over 6 years (or maybe 7) , I feel MarkDwon support is the most important feature to support in the future.

The Chinese version Evernote is already support MarkDwon, I don't understand why the progress of International Evernote is so slow?

• Like 3

Just downloaded Ulysses because I write a lot and want to use Markdown. Then realised it’s quite an expensive subscription and thought, hang on, surely my Pro Evernote account (which I use all the time and have had for years) supports Markdown, I’ve just never realised. Then I discover it doesn’t. Like others here, it feels like an obvious omission.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, lucianadl said:

+1 for native Markdown support, please

Voting in this forum is via the arrow at the top-left of the topic header:

image.png.bb88ad4fe2d4a37cfad4659bdcacdca4.png

Current vote count is showing at 288

For sure, the actual text editor is the worst part of Evernote.

Its gotten to the point where if I need something to be formatted accurately and it's a little complex, I do it in markdown using something like Quiver 3 or Code, then copy/paste the preview text into EV.

Please guys, stop reinventing this particular wheel. Go markdown and free up development time for more interesting things.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, forLoop said:

Headings or nested tags shouldn't be even considered as a feature. They are pretty much essential part any editor

Most definitely a feature of word-processing editors; perhaps not so much a factor for Notes

>>So far your posts in this thread are not meant to help "new" users

In this thread, I've been trying to help users to use Markdown, since it's not offered by the Evernote editor

On 11/8/2018 at 7:53 PM, DTLow said:

Thanks for posting the screenshot with the markdown example
Is there any indication on the note to indicate markdown coding, or is markdown the default for all notes?

edit: Documentation at https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=zh-CN&u=https://list.yinxiang.com/markdown/&prev=search
         Looks like the notes are flagged as Markdown format
         Click on the top menu bar - File - New Markdown Notes

Why not download and try it:

https://www.yinxiang.com/download/

It supports regular Evernote account, so that you don't need to create a new account.

image.thumb.png.6c82edd86565d220bfe9a5549f664a0f.png

I don't see why the American team hasn't ported this feature to the official Evernote app.

Besides, 印象笔记(the Chinese version) also fits well with OSX Mojave's dark mode, which is extremely useful for me. When you switch to dark mode, color inside 印象笔记 automatically changes with it.

dark_mode.thumb.png.10d2e0ee91e9d4b3b42f8d7a3d03dc91.png

• Like 1

I'm considering a switch to https://joplinapp.org/

I've just imported my 2.6GB Evernote export into it, which contains ~5500 clips of webpages I was reading since 2016 December. Navigating them is a lot snappier than in Evernote. Joplins full-text search also seems to be finding more relevant pages and provides a more versatile query language too.

While the Joplin UI is a lot more limited than Evernotes and the keyboard navigation in it is even buggy, I would rather use Joplin, because it supports Markdown!

Joplin has a Web Clipper too, which does a decent job of cleaning web pages.

I doesn't do much with YouTube pages, BUT the Firefox version of Evernote's web clipper also has issues with YouTube, because it seems to be not updated for a long time. (The Chrome version works well though).

I also have the chance to maintain the hosting of the shared note database myself, so I don't have to rely on Evernote's servers.

I've also considered https://simplenote.com/, because their client applications are all open source and they support Markdown too, but unfortunately their backend is not open (because they have some great real-time collaborative editing features, I guess, like https://etherpad.org/ or https://github.com/ether/etherpad-lite :)

The killer feature in Evernote for me is still the OCR capability. I store my receipts, bank statements in a separate notebook, so I can present them when I want to use some warranty or tell my friends where did I buy something and for how much. I would probably keep my Evernote subscription for this feature alone for awhile still.

• Like 1
On 12/20/2018 at 5:54 PM, user0035 said:

Evernote Chinese version(印象笔记) released a new PC version to support Markdown. I want to know when Evernote intends to incorporate this feature into the official version.
I have been using Evernote for a long time, but I am being frustrated by your delay in launching the Markdown feature. I have tried Bear for nearly three months. Markdown can really save me a lot of time. If there is no development progress of Markdown, I will export all my notes to Bear, leave Evernote, even though my premium still has two years of validity.

I am really disappointed with Evernote, and the reaction is so slow that it is unacceptable.

Exactly!! Please learn from the the Chinese version. Thanks!

Hi guys

For great markdown support try https://www.notion.so/  You can also import your Evernote notebooks. 

I feel like Evernote have has lost its ability to innovate long time ago and there are all these new products in the market that are drastically rethinking knowledge management

I've been a premium member for a long while now. Today, I'm ditching Evernote because I can't continue without markdown support.

Six years and so many votes / requests going totally ignored without even a hint of "we're working on it" feels like a company out of touch with its users or their needs.

Markdown support means an option to use markdown, leaving people to choose other formatting options if they want. The inflexibility (and general incompatibility of Evernote notes with anything else) has become a deal breaker. Sad because there's a lot of other things to love about it.

• Like 1

By accident, I noticed something "markdown-like" on the Mac version.  As someone who takes lots of code chunk notes, I find myself often

1. creating a one-cell table
  2. pasting the code from editor or command line
  3. formatting it mono-space font

This sets the code apart from the rest of the explanatory text.

Today I was doing this for a markdown sample and I stumbled on the fact that if I start a line with three back-ticks and press enter, it automatically turns into a mono-space font box.  This works for me on Mac OS with EN 6.5.

• Level 5*
On 2016-11-16 at 1:57 PM, justincbeck said:

Yeah, I'm reaching the point where I might abandon Evernote in favor of something that DOES support markdown.

On 2016-11-18 at 6:29 AM, thejasonparker said:

I'm thinking the same. People have been asking for Markdown support for some time now and Evernote just simply ignore it or fob people off with 3rd party solutions that add extra work and effort. Very poor show.

If markdown support is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If purple highlighting is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If .... (this list could go on and on)

In addition to whining, you can add your support to the feature requests using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.  It will help indicate the request priorities

• Like 3
On 12/06/2017 at 10:18 AM, heyKuchen said:

I would switch to paid Bear if they had their own server for syncing things, I don't like the fact that my notes could be using space in my iCloud account. 

Do you know another app that would do markdown and have also this idea from Evernote that you can upload things using an monthly quota?

There is also Dropbox Paper.. but there is no native app yet and their development efforts are a bit slow.

I guess it comes down to personal preferences and wants/needs. I personally have no issue with them using my iCloud account and have always found the idea of a monthly quota "odd". If I am paying for a service, I would expect to be able to use it as much or as little as I like.

Wasn't there another app that worked over the top of Evernote to provide markdown support? Could that be an option?

Adding my 2 cents...

Dynalist (highly recommended!) has Markdown support and formatted view. Now there you can see the opposite discussion going on; people requesting a WYSIWYG editor instead.

The reason is that how Markdown looks is different from what it represents. That means that when you click into a note, the editor has to switch back to showing the Markdown view. All of a sudden the place where you clicked to make an edit, is no longer the correct place: all formatting is expanded, URLs are expanded, etc. 

That's why many Markdown editors have an editing pane and a preview pane.

So then we have people who want MD and a large portion of users who just want WYSIWYG. So you have to add a new setting because you don't want to confuse the majority of users who want to see bold as bold and not as **bold**

So it's not a trivial coding job.

To keep in mind too , in my idea, is that the beauty of Markdown is that you can write it anywhere. You don't need a program to "support" Markdown. You can type in your favorite Markdown dialect, paste the note in whatever MD tool you use, and there it is. MD is portable because it is software-independent. Nothing prevents us from typing in MD in Evernote.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 1
On 18/11/2016 at 6:18 PM, DTLow said:

If markdown support is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If purple highlighting is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.

In addition to whining, you can add your support to the feature requests using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.  It will help indicate the request priorities

why are you always defending this out-of-date mediocre product in every feature request? are you getting paid to do this?

the reason people are still paying is probably because they have 1000+ notes like myself and it is a pain to migrate.

it is certainly not the cool product it once was. ios and mac platforms are not even in sync in terms of formatting features. 

people ARE giving feedback and voting it up, but no one cares. if they keep it up, soon they'll be in trouble I am telling you

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 2018-04-28 at 7:59 AM, ssxtrix said:

the reason people are still paying is probably because they have 1000+ notes like myself and it is a pain to migrate.

The software is free, no users are paying for it.
The majority of users subscribe to the Basic account, which is also free.

I have over 10,000 notes.  It's a 30 minute process to export my data.

>>why are you always defending this....

I'm not into "Boohoo, Evernote's so bad" posts.  I'm more interested in posts on how to make this product work better for me.

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The software is free, no users are paying for it.
The majority of users subscribe to the Basic account, which is also free.

I have over 10,000 notes.  It's a 30 minute process to export my data.

>>why are you always defending this....

I'm not in to "Boohoo, Evernote's so bad" posts.  I'm more interested in posts on how to make this product work better for me.

Well i am paying, and they are constantly limiting free features, and maybe they should. but please also keep in mind that zoho notebook's is TOTALLY free. 

it takes 30 min to export, but where are you going to import them? are they going to be kept with the same format with the attachments? what about annotations? don't act coy please.

people are trying to suggest improvements, not just badmouthing, but you are replying to a feature request as if they are guilty of suggesting something new and evernote is perfect as is. the reason bear notes exploded and notion is on the verge of exploding is this. people are even using ulysses instead of evernote. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
Just now, Mike Assel said:

That’s the point of feature requests. 

To indicate your support for feature requests, use the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

The Evernote note editor/format is enml (html fork).  It's also not a useful format for my programming code files.

However we can use any external editor and store the files  in a note (attachment).
For plain text files, I use editor Textastic (Mac/iPad).  Sorry, it doesn't support MD, but I know there's alternative MD editors.

Good idea (also for eventual migration purposes in the future).

Now I use plain text files (.txt- or .md) and put them on my notes. Great, but there is one impractical aspect: Text files are displayed as attachments with no inline preview. I have to use my mouse to click the preview button to get a sneak peak of the contents, which bothers me. (using the Mac version)

Evernote could fix this easily: A simple inline-preview of plain-text files. An added benefit would be rendering support for Markdown-files. Editing happens externally, no problem.

I’ve recently switched to Bear just because off missing markdown in Evernote. And guess what... it works really well :) 

Bear doesn’t have multiple notebooks which I considered to be a big issue. But it happens to be less of a problem than missing markdown in Evernote! 

So I told Evernote „goodbye” after over 6 years! You guys wait and I use markdown already ;)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, coff said:

So I told Evernote „goodbye” after over 6 years! You guys wait and I use markdown already ;)

Sayings come to mind.  Cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Throwing out the baby with the bathwater

A great feature in Evernote is that I can use any editor  I choose.  Notes can contain files of any format.

If I wanted to use Markdown, I'd select an editor that supports it.

36 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Sayings come to mind.  Cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Throwing out the baby with the bathwater

A great feature in Evernote is that I can use any editor  I choose.  Notes can contain files of any format.

I'd say I moved the baby to a fresh new bath and the baby is really enjoying it now :)

Also I've tried already two other editors working on Evernote's API - no luck with features I was looking for.

Activity on this thread proves that MD support is something that users would certainly appreciate and for me is strange Evernote doesn't want to please us with it. Though I'm software developer myself and I can understand they may have some reasons for it since otherwise they wouldn't ignore it this way. On the other hand if they do ignore us perhaps in it there's a hidden message for us saying "Guys, don't expect it anytime soon if ever". They won't tell us this just because they don't wanna see users leaving their ship. I've seen this pattern already for several other products. A great example is OpenVPN over UDP protocol support in Mikrotik's RouterOS which was promised to be there like eight years ago! Related forum threads are nearly flooded with "+1" posts and what?... nothing!

So my decision (as DTLow also suggested) is not to wait for it anymore and leave (is also my advice for you guys). There are good enough alternatives to try. Some support import/export from/to Evernote's ENEX files. Let's vote for this feature in Evernote with "-1" instead of "+1" ;)

Kind Regards,

Krzysztof Kubanek

- A PREMIUM USER - 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 minutes ago, coff said:

Activity on this thread proves that MD support is something that users would certainly appreciate and for me is strange Evernote doesn't want to please us with it.

Best guess that I have for its absence is that round-tripping markdown <--> ENML is not trivial. As far as I know, Marxico can't do it either. 

5 minutes ago, coff said:

So my decision (as DTLow also suggested) is not to wait for it anymore and leave (is also my advice for you guys).

That's a rational decision in my book, since Markdown is important to you. for many others of us, it just isn't what we come to use Evernote for. 

Cheers.

Markdown support would be great. I find myself using markdown more and more. I am now using Bear.app on Mac, iPhone and iPad and love the ease of Markdown editing. Bear's Markdown support and hashtag based filing has resulted in me turning to Bear to work on documents more often than Evernote.

• Like 1
On 11/18/2016 at 10:18 PM, DTLow said:

I'm a paid user, I need markdown feature.

If you're not Evernote employee, no need to follow-up, your answers are ignorant and give negative feeling about Evernote.

• Like 2

I'm very unhappy with Evernote team. This key feature has been requested for years, you've been heard enough, you don't need more votes to start coding.

After years of being Evernote user, I've just cancelled my subscription and moved to Bear Pro. I vote with my money.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, TungNguyen said:

I'm very unhappy with Evernote team. This key feature has been requested for years, you've been heard enough, you don't need more votes to start coding.

After years of being Evernote user, I've just cancelled my subscription and moved to Bear Pro. I vote with my money.

Good bye, Good Luck

"If you're not Evernote employee, no need to follow-up,
your answers are ignorant and give negative feeling about Evernote."

One of the attractive qualities of Evernote is its one-stop-shopping, everything-under-one-roof nature.  Invoking external apps to accomplish specialized tasks is a sensible and necessary division of labor, but one of Evernote's primary tasks is formatting text.  Markdown is a highly efficient way to format text.  Including it as an intrinsic editing mode would allow many users to better maintain their productive flow state when capturing information in Evernote.  I think that's a good justification for its inclusion.

• Like 3
On 11/18/2016 at 4:18 PM, DTLow said:

You should have more respect for your customers. 

I will tweet Your comment to, hm I think a bout 1000 developers. If You ask them how they take notes, most will say MARKDOWN.

In stead of bashing to your customers Your team should better take notice the world is more then cut and past, and
taking notes for technicians, developers is mandatory and can barely done properly with Your approach due to the lack of Markdown support.
And those who do it, well good luck, but for sure you are not part of those who code for decades.

Besides is this the same ***** answer You will give to the request of a LOT of your customers to provide a NATIVE linux version of evernote ?

So in stead of telling your customers they are whining about asking something ESSENTIAL, move Your lazzy butt in your dev team and provide professional solutions.

This will suit your professional customers more then bashing them with poeha.

On 11/18/2016 at 4:18 PM, DTLow said:

DTLow, I am a senior IT, having about 30 years experience in the field as coder, sysadmin and so on.
I own several companies and did lead technical teams.

Ask 100 developers with +5 yrs experience how they take notes and 90 percent will tell you, they use markdown.

Telling people here in this thread, who do know what they are talking about, they are 'whining' and to move to another product,
because there is a crucial missing feature in evernote does not help here.

When there is a reasonable demand for a feature that is highly liked in the coding sector, You provide it. Simple.
Or this is NOT a professional note keeping solution at all.

Those who take most notes are developers, coders, analists, software designers etc.
And the common way to do it, is using markdown. Final.

Have some maturity. It is not because You are 'Super Guru', you currently reach the skill sets of some
who post here. To say they are 'whining' is pretty rude, and Your arguments have no weight in this debate.

The lack of markdown is a very serious lack in the evernote product including a full multiplatform solution.
For years the community did request a Linux version as well.

Will you say they are 'whining' too ? 

I will tweet Your answer to show to a few K developers. So they can see the Evernote Super Guru attitude.
And they better stay away from this product.

On 6/6/2018 at 9:28 PM, DTLow said:

This arguments is an example of something that holds no ground. Evernote is partly an editor.

Evernote claims to be a note keeping solution. If the customer wants markdown, You provide markdown in the evernote editor. Simple.

Coders need a better way to take notes and this can not be done properly with the current software.

• Like 1
On 8/8/2018 at 12:52 AM, nfernandes said:

After playing around with Dropbox Paper for a bit, I've officially started my migration from Evernote. Markdown support is great, and you can even create templates to quickly make notes from. 

I really would have loved to continue using Evernote, but the extra storage space is the only benefit I'm getting after upgrading to Plus. A lack of useful features, consistent bugs, and general bulkiness have finally turned me off.

Sorry but there seems to be no Markdown support in Dropbox Paper or provide a link of the docs.
Currently our team is using the editor 'Remarkable' in combo with cloud storage.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Amtriorix said:

Do you speak for Evernote, because I report your attitude.

You're posting in a user discussion forum. 
You are a user; I'm a user.

Evernote employees pop in ocassionally.  They are clearly identified in the sidebar.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

You're posting in a user discussion forum. 
You are  user; I'm a user.

Evernote employees pop in ocassionally.  The are clearly identified in the sidebar.

ok fair. but your comments are still bashing the customers with pro skills here.

A feature such as 'markdown' is not the same as to say, I want the background of evernote to be 'purple'

Markdown is a lightweight markup language with plain text formatting syntax. It is designed so that it can be converted to HTML and many other formats using a tool by the same name.[8] Markdown is often used to format readme files, for writing messages in online discussion forums, and to create rich text using a plain text editor. As the initial description of Markdown contained ambiguities and unanswered questions, many implementations and extensions of Markdown appeared over the years to answer these issues. John Gruber created the Markdown language in 2004 in collaboration with Aaron Swartz on the syntax,[2][3] with the goal of enabling people "to write using an easy-to-read, easy-to-write plain text format, and optionally convert it to structurally valid XHTML (or HTML)". In March 2016 RFC 7763 and RFC 7764 were published. RFC 7763 introduced MIME type text/markdown with the original variant. RFC 7764 discusses and registered the variants MultiMarkdown, GitHub Flavored Markdown (GFM), Pandoc, CommonMark, and Markdown Extra among others. ref: wikipedia

This is mandatory option for many technicians, coders, etc.

• Level 5*
On 8/15/2018 at 5:08 AM, Amtriorix said:

Currently our team is using the editor 'Remarkable' in combo with cloud storage.

Remarkable is a Linux product, and there's editors available for other platforms.  I use Textastic on Mac and IOS.  Both of these editors support Markdown formattining, but I still prefer Evernote's native enml/html format.
I'm a fan of using external editors when I need features not available in the Evernote editor.

Evernote is my tool for cloud storage.

• Like 1
On 8/28/2018 at 1:08 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

You may have noticed that all threads requesting Markdown support have been merged into this thread, regardless of platform specificity. 

This was done in order to better enable us to quantify and qualify user requests, and amplify their voice.

While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming, we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams.

Moving forward, please put all commentary and votes for Markdown support here!

Your competitor, Bear Notes, supports Markdown. Unfortunately for me, they are only IOS and I do not have an IOS devices. Otherwise, I would have migrated all my notes to Bear. 
Your application, Evernote, is useful and I have included it in my workflow, but as a developer its a hindrance to not be able to format my code well when jotting down various solutions. 
"While this does not mean this is a feature that will be coming..."
To be frank, if you dont want to lose customers, this should be a when instead of an if. 
If Bear ever moves to Android/Windows, youll lose a lot of customers over this missing feature. 

Not sure if everyone knows, Evernote Chinese version (Yinxiang) has markdown support now.

Here is the official guide on markdown support: https://list.yinxiang.com/markdown/eef42447-db3f-48ee-827b-1bb34c03eb83.php

• Like 1

Evernote Chinese version(印象笔记) released a new PC version to support Markdown. I want to know when Evernote intends to incorporate this feature into the official version.
I have been using Evernote for a long time, but I am being frustrated by your delay in launching the Markdown feature. I have tried Bear for nearly three months. Markdown can really save me a lot of time. If there is no development progress of Markdown, I will export all my notes to Bear, leave Evernote, even though my premium still has two years of validity.

I am really disappointed with Evernote, and the reaction is so slow that it is unacceptable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Evernote helps creating simple notes and should remain like this. I don’t want to have another One Note that is clumsy for formatting. That being said, I often have to format my text with a simple and repeatable structure. Being able to apply this structure simply, using the markdown syntax, would leverage the power of note structuring while keeping it simple as it should.

• Like 1
On 11/16/2016 at 1:57 PM, justincbeck said:

Yeah, I'm reaching the point where I might abandon Evernote in favor of something that DOES support markdown.

Funny, I've been saying this to myself for years but I just can't seem to cut the cord for some reason. Lack of Markdown support is probably not even in my top five reasons. I just wish the bugs that have existed for over a decade would get fixed rather than being called a feature.

Markdown is an essential feature to how I take notes. I need a fast way to make headings on notes I make for books and lectures. With markdown, I simply type # for an H1 heading, ## for an H2 heading, etc. It saves a lot of time. It's an essential feature for notes. 

• Like 1

Absolutely! I've been using Evernote for years, it has served me very well. However, I recently  thought that it would be great if I could use Evernote for importing/exporting Mardown documents. Personally, I've got so much invested in Evernote that I can't just migrate to, say, Gitbook or Bear (which look great, BTW). I would much prefer if they added a feature to import/export Mardown documents. I would manage the revisions with Git on my own. 

It should be relatively simple, I suppose. Why not cater to this need? As to "how many people" are going to ask for Markdown well, obviously not that many, just those that code. Initially. Because Markdown is picking up quite a following...

I guess it's fair to say we all appreciate the product very much. We wouldn't even waste our time here, if we didn't believe in it. It sucks to be ignored. Don't ignore us, Evernote!

Just to add that I would really love native Markdown support. It's pretty much the only thing I feel is lacking now other than a native Linux client - but that's mitigated by the existence of Tusk :-).

As already mentioned above, I'm also reaching a point where I will abandon my beloved Evernote to another (e.g. bear-writer.com)

it's almost 2020 and there is no support for Markdown. how is it possible??

Markdown is a markup language, extremely simple,  used globally by almost cloud platforms actually and, as developer, I can say it is a simple feature to be implemented, maybe the biggest difficult is to make it compatible with current Evernote markup, so a possible solution would be adding an option "File > New > Markdown note" isolating this markup. I can afirm that many people do not use evernote and end up opting for an alternative (like Inkdrop) that offers fewer features because don't live without a markdown. I'm using evernote premium for some years, but currently I just have my old notes stored with Evernote, because I'm using just a markdown software and putting my files in cloud. Very annoying.

It's regrettable that users don't have voice here. For now I do not intend to renew my license after expiration (2020 January) because I realized that this request is old and never satisfied. Many users asking for, so my request also will not be considered, just one more. Anyway I hope I'm wrong, in this case you will continue to have a loyal customer to keep recommending Evernote. I have a good networking today.

Attached a competitor (Inkdrop) screenshot that is picking-up your customers, like me when my license expires. Let's keep Evernote as leader.

Certainly moderation will not approve my message, but it would be smart to understand the problem and pass it to the responsible team for analysis. I'm here because I like Evernote, but currently it can't be useful for my use. I have thousands of developers in my networking and if we have Markdown support many of devs community will use it.

competitor.jpg

Edited by luizgama
Adding final note
  • Like 2

@DTLow, Maybe for you, but not for all. It's not useful to use an external editor. Markdown syntax generates a preview (see attachment). We write markdown and like to see the result, export and publish it. For developers markdown is a requisite for software documentation in most cloud platforms, it is a standard. My question is: there is a lot of FREE implementations of markdown, open source, but it is also simple to be implemented from scratch. Why a giant company like Evernote can't offer it as a new type of note?

sample.png

• Like 1

It's actually somewhat upsetting considering how long Evernote has been around and how many other competing apps support Markdown, that Evernote does not. Not only that, but there's no justifiable reason why Evernote does not, and in addition, no staff member has commented here yet for YEARS to help clear this up. Very poor PR for Evernote, as well as a lost solution for money for them. Ultimately, the decision to not support markdown is, sorry for the use of the word, STUPID. It just doesn't make sense.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:12 AM, jefito said:

Dunno about PR, but the real question is how much money would it add to the bottom line vs how much would it cost to add it and how much they might lose by implementing something else. In other words, the usual calculations that development companies make all the time.

I guess they're not considering how much customer retention they're losing for not having a core feature to many. That's probably more important than gaining new clients.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:12 AM, jefito said:

So the question here is what do you mean by adding Markdown? If you mean Markdownish shortcuts to produce specific formatting,

Yes, markdown shortcuts is exactly what I want. Nuclino (project management Wiki app) has that exact functionality, and possibly the best example I can think of. Formatting headings takes way too long for productive clean notes on Evernote. 

I actually use Marxico, but deeply prefer a good native solution.

• Level 5

Yes, I would like to get markdown editing as well. I have voted in favor of this some time ago.

Since it seems not clear what is meant: For my usecase, I am collecting stuff in EN. Then I go and prepare some publishing in a blogpost or on my website. I would prefer to be able to write this down directly in EN using markdown, then copy and paste into the web editor without a need to touch it there. This would streamline the research - collect - write - edit- publish- process for me.

But if I do not get markdown, the world is still turning, the sun rising, the birds singing ...

And EN is still my tool to organize information for me.

So, markdown please, because it would be nice to close this thread for good.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, Owllison said:

Instead, I find this thread is full of rude and snide sneering at people who would like to use a commonplace markup language for quickly writing notes.

It's a long thread, but I think you'll also find there are many rude and snide comments directed at Evernote from folks requesting Markdown, and on the other side, some respectful, even thoughtful discussion about why fully supporting Markdown in Evernote might not be so easy at it may seem. Can't recall any feedback from Evernote staff in this one, apart from @Shane D.'s pinned post; I'd have to review it, but as I say, it's a long thread, so I won't be doing it right away. By implication, Shane's post implies "not any time soon", and their current focus is elsewhere than adding brand new big features (see https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/306-behind-the-scenes-series/), but sure, it's always good to get direct guidance on what's on their radar. It's not always been their way, however.

Specifically, I'd like to just see a markdown rendering mode for displaying markdown files.

The traditional Evernote way to deal with files is as attachments. Evernote doesn't handle editing, but in some cases like PDF and image files, you get a preview inside the note, at least for desktop Evernote (I use Windows). I could see something similar for markdown files being useful: you could display the rendered version in Evernote in a  box in the note, scroll up down in it, a la PDF files, but in order to edit it, you'd need to invoke a separate editor. That way, Evernote doesn't need to do any translation back and forth between Markdown and Evernote's internal ENML format, the user can see the Markdown results inside an Evernote note, and the user gets to use their favorite Markdown editor to make changes.

While the current rich text editor provides a lot of formatting options, one thing missing is inline code markup.

This is separate from the Markdown thingy, but it would be useful. I do use the line-based code formatting a lot, but I could use the inline version as well.  About the closest I've come is just to  format the relevant code using a monospace typeface, and let it go at that (sometimes you get that from copy/paste. This is made easier in the Windows application where you can use the F4 shortcut key to reapply the last formatting you did to the current selection (a great tip from a fellow Evernoter that I saw recently). Doesn't work on Android or on the web (I'm using the current web beta).

On 2/26/2020 at 11:35 AM, DTLow said:

Did you mean "code notes"   
Evernote notes are enml/html based; I can access the content.enml component for coding

I strongly believe most people could get my point when I say "coding notes" or "programming assignments"

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, amfeather said:

I am using Evernote Web Version 5.30.0 for Safari. It supports the use of hashtags (#) for headers, asterisks/pluses/minuses (*/+/-) for bullets, and numbers (1/2/3) for numbered bullets. Bolding, italics, and underlining is still controlled from the menu bar (or with a keyboard shortcut) exclusively.

This has been a feature of the Windows Evernote application, among others, for some time. See https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001758468-How-to-use-auto-formatting

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
46 minutes ago, amfeather said:

Some might (correctly) say that this is not true markdown

As per @jefito, this is more in the form of auto-formatting.

Also note, this is entry only; the code is converted and stored as enml/html   
For true markdown, I use an external editor and store the .md file as a note attachment

• Like 1
On 1/5/2020 at 12:08 AM, Heidi Duan said:

5 years since the initial request has been posted and Evernote still hasn't supported lol.

I am going to switch to some other note applications. Can anyone kindly provide some suggestions? So far I just know Typora is a pretty nice and lightweight option.

For me it's time to export all from Evernote to Notion.

I tired from Evernote - it looks like stagnation.