Jump to content
  • 685

Native Markdown Support


brampeirs

Idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Good day, everyone.

In the last few month this issue has been taken to be one of the top three.

I perfectly realise that given the history there is little hope that Evernote will listen or act.

Nevertheless I would like to try. Do you think you could help out by spreading the word? I would like to see this feature request to be the top one for the next stage and I think it is possible. We got it from just 36 votes (that's when I joined in) to 114 today - it should be possible to get half of that amount if we all try to get someone else to vote.

Then there will be the next action - but I will come back on that one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, Doff said:

Do you think you could help out by spreading the word?

I doubt an increase in the vote count will have any impact on Evernote's priorities.

This request is on EN's radar and it's up to them if they implement it.

My suggestion is to use a workaround until we see this implemented in the EN editor

Link to comment
  • 0

As a long-time Evernote user - this is the missing feature that is most important to me. I love the other features of Evernote, but I'm finding myself taking fewer notes in this app over time due to this missing capability.  Apps like Quiver are what I'm looking for - full Markdown support with preview.  I should also be able to export these notes as Markdown files or Docx files with the proper formatting; no divs!

Please make this happen...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0

Totally agree, Evernote is fantastic but lack of markdown support hurts, I doubt I'll renew, seems I check evernote out every couple years then leave out of frustration and eventually come back to just leave again lol.  This is the main feature that drives that

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
On 17/03/2017 at 9:17 PM, ayapejian said:

Totally agree, Evernote is fantastic but lack of markdown support hurts, I doubt I'll renew, seems I check evernote out every couple years then leave out of frustration and eventually come back to just leave again lol.  This is the main feature that drives that

 

If you are on macOS or iOS maybe you should try Bear Pro 

bear-writer.com

Link to comment
  • 0

I think it's pretty clear now that either management don't see any need for Markdown support, that the underlying (legacy) code is resistant to it being added, or the developers don't have the necessary skills to add it (or a combination of the above). I remember reading that Markdown was in the process of being added, but that was years ago and must have been abandoned. I'm afraid it looks like it's just a matter of waiting for something better to come along. I have pushed all my long-form notes to Gitbook and really just use Evernote for small fragments. I would suggest anyone that hasn't looked at Gitbook to give it a go. It is solid and (unlike Evernote) is constantly being improved.

Link to comment
  • 0

Markdown is a great way of formatting text as it was intended to be convertable into HTML and yet be easy to read. It makes note taking a lot more fluid as you don't have to move a mouse to format.

Evernote already has the "---" markdown for horizontal rules. So I don't think it would be too hard to implement "*" for italics and "_" for bold. Also, "-" for bullet lists should be easy to do as well since there is the option to use "*" for bullet lists. However this clash would mean that it would have to be specified whether or not markdown is to be used when making the note.

I would use Evernote a lot more if there was support for markdown as it would mean note-taking on my mobile would be a whole lot easier.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 0
On 9/18/2016 at 7:13 AM, lrainaldi said:

I feel on the biggest missing features is native support for Markdown. Please add native Markdown to Evernote.

For me, Evernote is a perfect daily companion except for the fact that I can't do LaTeX.

Right now, I am planning to rely on Dropbox Paper Web version for my math notes. But, I am not satisfied with it either as it is not a replacement or intended for creating notes to store like Evernote.

Even if they can't support all kind of markdown, at least I wish for LaTeX editing like on Dropbox Paper on the web. The main feature of LaTeX Evernote should support is ability to go back and edit the LaTeX instead of deleting the whole math image and rewriting the code block again, in a convenient way.

I believe a lot of Evernote users dealing with math daily in their life would appreciate it very much! I am hoping for the integration in the near future soon.

I do code in my free time too. So, integration of code editing as an edit and read only special file note like how PDF editing works would be a big plus.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 0

Oh yeah. LaTeX in Evernote is a sweet dream.

Here is the idea - this feature request is number one.

I was thinking to raise a support request, something along the line - please implement.

Thoughts?

Link to comment
  • 0

The lack of markdown has made me leave Evernote a few times the past years. But I always came back. And every time after a few months I see a different tool that does support MD and then I leave again...

So +1 for me!

 

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
On 2017-05-26 at 2:34 PM, henchmanjustin said:

Just any way to represent mathematical notation is what I want.

Not supported by the Evernote Note editor.  

I use Pages (Mac/IOS) and theres support for LaTeX and MathML.  The documents work well as attachments to notes

Link to comment
  • 0

Still no Markdown support?

giphy-downsized.gif

I am waiting for this feature for years right now and today I looked again when this feature will be there but still no sign. It has the most votes, please make it finally happen soon. At the moment there is no real competitor that has this feature but when there is a lot of people will move I think. I don't want to move because I like Evernote but it's hard and I thought about moving multiple times. Make Evernote super duper awesome with Markdown

200w_d.gif

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 0

I would switch to paid Bear if they had their own server for syncing things, I don't like the fact that my notes could be using space in my iCloud account. 

Do you know another app that would do markdown and have also this idea from Evernote that you can upload things using an monthly quota?

Link to comment
  • 0
hace 1 minuto, Matt Corr dijo:

There is also Dropbox Paper.. but there is no native app yet and their development efforts are a bit slow.

I guess it comes down to personal preferences and wants/needs. I personally have no issue with them using my iCloud account and have always found the idea of a monthly quota "odd". If I am paying for a service, I would expect to be able to use it as much or as little as I like.

Wasn't there another app that worked over the top of Evernote to provide markdown support? Could that be an option?

The monthly quota is a great idea because you can upload any file you want an the next month you get your quota reset. You don't have to complicate over time deleting stuff for keeping your plan cheap.

 

There's an app that supports sort of markdown on top of Evernote: "Alternote" but its paid and they haven't updated it in a while.

Link to comment
  • 0

Same here. Recently switched from paid Evernote to paid Bear app (which has MD as first-class citizen / editor). But Bear has so many missing features which Evernote has...

Really waiting for native MD support in Evernote.

Link to comment
  • 0

Zapier has a "Formatter" that will take an evernote and format the markdown. I have it set up so a new note in a notebook is formatted by zappier from markdown to HTML and then added as a new post on my wordpress blog.  Works awesome. Will not solve everyones markdown problems, but it's one solution. 

Link to comment
  • 0

If anyone is interested there is Boostnote:

* Markdown support

* vim mode

* night mode

Has presently issues with pasting images and no mobile client as yet. But the project is very young so I am hopeful. Myself giving it a go.

Link to comment
  • 0

Evernote's feature request is like the end of Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Your request ends up in a huge Wearhouse with all the other feature requests, gathering dust.

I don't think they've added a single feature that I would consider useful for literally years. 

 

Link to comment
  • 0

Markdown support would be superb. The possibility of toggling it on/off as an advanced note editor would simplify the life of every working researcher in the natural sciences. I positively love Evernote and honestly believe that its multitude of features makes it an amazing service with no equal. There is also talk of Bear notes as an alternative solution, but it only has iOS functionality. And that is another great thing about Evernote: it works across OSs!

I guess it may well be the case that markdown functionality may somehow be interfering with legacy code from the note editor. Who knows, really. All I can attest to is that I have switched over to Evernote to keep track of research papers, clip articles of new discoveries and take pictures of my hand-written calculations. Why not take that one step further and introduce LaTeX and mathmode functionality?

Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaase 

We would be sooo happy! :wub:

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, PaceWalker said:

If it's too challenging to build markdown on top of existing enml ,would it be possible to hav3 a new note type like how you cr3ate a handwriting note?

I see it as more an issue of priority in assigning development resources than "challenging"
Markdown/LaTeX/mathmode are only of interest to a % of the user base 

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, DTLow said:

I see it as more an issue of priority in assigning development resources than "challenging"
Markdown/LaTeX/mathmode are only of interest to a % of the user base 

And my guess is a very very small %...

The vast majority of normal human beings have never even heard of markdown. Nerds like it (I like it), but my non-nerdy friends and family wouldn't have a clue what it is.

Link to comment
  • 0
18 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

And my guess is a very very small %...

The vast majority of normal human beings have never even heard of markdown. Nerds like it (I like it), but my non-nerdy friends and family wouldn't have a clue what it is.

This is indeed very true. Even my nerdy friends(computer science majors) have no clue what is a markdown. 

But I got this theory that many digital markers and nerds like myself promoting Evernote rely on markdown to write their blog posts (just a theory, no evidence) and to store their coding notes since there's a high chance they are the ones teaching their family, friends, colleges how to use Evernote + introducing Evernote to the non-nerds, it makes sense to make these group of people happy first because they bring in new customers and their job rely on certain features? 

Just a thought though, maybe the truth is far from that.

PS: i'm the one making everyone around to start using evernote and ignore stuff like onenote and apple note.

Link to comment
  • 0

For me, Markdown is a metaphor for a robust editor that serves a wide range of users (uses), which is sort of how I view Evernote as a product. As for what most users know about markdown (or any existing aspect of Evernote), any product that doesn’t offer users an expanding set of tools to help them expand the value they can create likely has a limited shelf life. 

Link to comment
  • 0

No I don’t.  Markdown being both actual and metaphor for aspects that could be added that would move EVERNOTE toward having a robust editor.  Presumably the purpose for current improvements to Tables.  In my view, what can be accomplished within a note is becoming the primary factor in my choice of a Note application.  

Link to comment
  • 0

It's very annoying that Evernote doesn't support Markdown. Since I discovered and learned how to use Markdown I couldn't wait for Evernote to implement it. Still no luck. It's my most wanted feature for the Evernote.

If Bear Notes had Windows version I would have moved to the app in an instant. Really confused why it's such a big deal to implement Markdown in Evernote.

Link to comment
  • 0
On 10/08/2017 at 10:45 PM, stuball said:

For me, Markdown is a metaphor for a robust editor that serves a wide range of users (uses), which is sort of how I view Evernote as a product. As for what most users know about markdown (or any existing aspect of Evernote), any product that doesn’t offer users an expanding set of tools to help them expand the value they can create likely has a limited shelf life. 

I really think that it would be wise to quickly make markdown available before products like Bear take away those of us programmers forever, you know it is quite troublesome (the mere thought of doing that is a burden) to migrate to another platform once you already accumulated a pile of programming notes and snippets. We REALLY need the markdown and code highlighting.   :(:(

Link to comment
  • 0

Ah! cant remember last time I posted around here about this or the lack of pre formatted headings levels not being available on Desktop apps...

 

Seriously? something fundamental and of utter value to the users is not implemented but their rubbish machine learning into our private content is top priority ???

-Face palm-

I already moved to Bear guys and updates are keep coming. 

The hell with Evernote. 

Bear is a beautiful and clean interface, support Markdown and is on all platforms

 

No brainer. Happy to give them my money and support development, not like this doomed app that asks for the premium price and bluntly ignore customers feedback. 

 

Disappointed at Evernote product management team. Shame on you. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
  • 0
On 10/08/2017 at 8:55 AM, Metrodon said:

And my guess is a very very small %...

The vast majority of normal human beings have never even heard of markdown. Nerds like it (I like it), but my non-nerdy friends and family wouldn't have a clue what it is.

We are a minority. But we are a minority with very strong influence. 

Ignore what the minority advanced/nerd users say and it is just a question of time until the rest of the following crowd (incl. the media) will start promoting very solid alternatives and by then those alternatives become the norm. 

 

It is the law of diffusion of innovation. Actually, former Evernote CEO used to talk about this few years ago. Life is full of ironies and that is why he also left. 
 

The metrics/numbers might be looking good or "stable" at the moment. But if there something that history tells about Product Management and Growth is that you should never ignore earlier symptoms from unexpected or unworthy sources. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
10 minutes ago, forLoop said:

Ah! cant remember last time I posted around here about this or the lack of pre formatted headings levels not being available on Desktop apps...

 

Seriously? something fundamental and of utter value to the users is not implemented but their rubbish machine learning into our private content is top priority ???

-Face palm-

I already moved to Bear guys and updates are keep coming. 

The hell with Evernote. 

Bear is a beautiful and clean interface, support Markdown and is on all platforms

 

No brainer. Happy to give them my money and support development, not like this doomed app that asks for the premium price and bluntly ignore customers feedback. 

 

Disappointed at Evernote product management team. Shame on you. 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm on Bear too but still keeping Evernote for a while longer until all hope is gone. I really really want to stay at Evernote camp because I have been a premium user since 2011 and quite used to it now.

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
On 2017-08-10 at 10:30 AM, Metrodon said:

You really think Evernote is a robust editor? Lolz...It's improving, but I think the last positive I would ever list for Evernote is a robust editor...

I think the Evernote is adequate for basic notes.  

If I need extended features, I switch to dedicated editor apps.  This includes a feature such as Markdown.  

Evernote is my digital file.  I’m not going to let the editor stop me from using features I need

Link to comment
  • 0
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I think the Evernote is adequate for basic notes.  

If I need extended features, I switch to dedicated editor apps.  This includes a feature such as Markdown.  

Evernote is my digital file.  I’m not going to let the editor stop me from using features I need

1

You trust Evernote, a private corp, to be your "digital life" ?

...until they start having a decline in Growth and are forced to shutdown/merge/sell. Then your digital life is gone. ;)

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, forLoop said:

You trust Evernote, a private corp, to be your "digital life" ?...Then your digital life is gone. ;)

I trust Evernote to process/store my data.  At the same time, I back up my data.

I have no danger of losing my data.  I have backups, and Evernote provides an easy export of data

Link to comment
  • 0
Just now, DTLow said:

I trust Evernote to process/store my data.  At the same time, I back up my data.

I have no danger of my losing data.  I have backups, and Evernote provides an easy export of data

Yeah. Exporting data is particularly useful these days when moving all content from Evernote to other platforms who are not using our data for Machine Learning purposes. 

Link to comment
  • 0
3 minutes ago, forLoop said:

Yeah. Exporting data is particularly useful these days when moving all content from Evernote to other platforms who are not using our data for Machine Learning purposes. 

How does machine learning help us taking notes more than features like markdown, headings, nested tags? Can someone explain to me please

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, PaceWalker said:

How does machine learning help us taking notes more than features like markdown, headings, nested tags? Can someone explain to me please

I'm not seeing any connection what-so-ever.  Its a completely different discussion

Link to comment
  • 0
11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm not seeing any connection what-so-ever.  Its a completely different discussion

 

Ah! of course, you don't (want to) see it ;) I wouldn't expect anything less from an inside job (looking at that Guru + 8800 posts) 

 

It is NOT a "completely different discussion", it is INDEED quite a relevant one. How can such unpopular feature get priority into the development against very popular and old requested features like markdown, headings, nested tags?

 

Not relevant? only for inside job fanboys who refuse to admit and get into this denial propaganda. 

 

Feel like whoever is monitoring this community feedback is basically issuing a certification of idiocy to all these "dumb users who in their crazy minds think that Markdown or heading or nested tags are important".

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
On 2017-08-22 at 1:10 PM, forLoop said:

How can such unpopular feature get priority into the development against very popular and old requested features like markdown, headings, nested tags?

I'm not into the      Boohoo, Evernote's so bad     posts
I'm more interested in how to make this product work for me
If I needed to use markdown; I would select the editor that supports it

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm not in to the      Boohoo, Evernote's so bad     posts
I'm more interested in how to make this product work for me
If I needed to use markdown; I would select the editor that supports it

1

? of course, you are. ;) 

 

So much that you spend all your life here (9000 posts...). I wonder how much of that interest on "the How" has worked for you so far.

 

Wait...I know you will tell amazing things next or maybe use a slight critique of Evernote to make yourself look humble and really convince people here that you are not a biased inside job with such profound and insightful (helpless regardless) replies to whoever makes any undercutting critique of the situation we are living for years regarding the lack of implementation of obvious features in favor of no so desired ones. 

 

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
25 minutes ago, forLoop said:

I wonder how much of that interest on "the How" has worked for you so far.

Its working quite well.  I do spend time honing my Evernote skills and setup.  
And as I said, select the editors that match the features you need

There is no "inside" conspiracy going on.  
Many of my posts are volunteering help to new users.

Link to comment
  • 0
4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Its working quite well.  I do spend time honing my Evernote skills and setup.  
And as I said, select the editors that match the features you need

There is no "inside" conspiracy going on.  
Many of my posts are voluteering help to new users.

3

Don't worry about that ;) 

No inside conspiracy. Just pure inside job. 

 

So far your posts in this thread are not meant to help "new" users but instead blunt attempts to defer the "unwanted/unpleasant" feedback provided by advanced users regarding unhappiness or disappointment for lack of (obvious) feature implementation.

For example, Headings or nested tags shouldn't be even considered as a feature. They are pretty much essential part any editor and Markdown is pretty evident is widely used by journalists, developers, researchers, bloggers, writers, authors etc. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
  • 0
5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Most definetly a feature of word-processing editors; perhaps not so much a factor for Notes

>>So far your posts in this thread are not meant to help "new" users

In this thread, I've been trying to help users to use Markdown, since it's not offered by the Evernote editor

So you implying that users who come to this thread asking for Markdown... don't know how to use Markdown or where to find it elsewhere? haha are we dumb?

 

Isn't obvious THAT we know where to "get Markdown" because obviously in Evernote we can't... but WE WANT?

 

Feels like your "contribution" int this thread is a bit our relevance and pointless. 

 

Admit it you are here just to talk down users asking for this feature because you are A-Fanboy or B-Inside_job or C-Inside_Conspiracy. ? 

 

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
11 minutes ago, forLoop said:

So you implying that users who come to this thread asking for Markdown... don't know how to use Markdown or where to find it elsewhere? haha are we dumb?

I intended no such implication

Many users are unaware of the power of attachment featuren that they don’t have to be locked in to the limitations of the Evernote editor.

Any file can be attached to a note.  Evernote works well with images, pdfs and office/iwork documents

Link to comment
  • 0
1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Not at all.  Many users are not aware of the attachment feature, and that they don’t have to be locked in to the limitations of the Evernote editor.

Any file can be attached to a note.  Evernote works well with images, pdfs and office/iwork documents

It is not up to you to decide if users should or should not be locked.

 

The purpose of this thread is very very, very clear. I shall emphasise VERY. 

 

We users/customers, posting on this thread, are voicing to implement Markdown feature. NOT to be made our needs as a "redundant thing" to be addressed or to be given the advice of look for other options when SOME of us DON'T want others options "elsewhere". 

I am fine with moving some of most important stuff to Bear and work from there. 

However, I find your contribution to this thread highly disrespectful/dismissal of the concerns we all in this thread are defending/asking for. 

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
On 2017-08-22 at 2:09 PM, forLoop said:

The purpose of this thread is very very, very clear. I shall emphasise VERY. 

Yes very clear, as stated in the top post:  Please add native Markdown to Evernote

To indicate your support for this request, use the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

Link to comment
  • 0
8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The purpose is stated in the top post:  Please add native Markdown to Evernote

To indicate your support for this request, use the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When one cannot win an argument and therefore need to switch to patronising tone.  ?

 

EDIT:

I am going to do you a favor, so that you can keep feeling good with yourself while gaining more momentum --> I am unsubscribing to this thread (or any) because it is pretty obvious this community medium is pointless and full of "guru" fanboys with patronising "advice" to give to all these dumb user requests. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0

The trouble with this so-called user forum is that requests for improvements are quite regularly commented by some Gurus in a way that feels kind of insulting. 

Nobody, repeat nobody, should be told to use another editor because Evernote is missing functionality. Requests for improvements, advanced features are not directed at Gurus or other users but at Evernote.

Developers, regardless of software or hardware field,  are normally quite keen to know what their customers would like to see in their product(s). It is in their own interest to evaluate and respond to requests. 

What strikes me is how often real help calls with individual problems calls are quickly referred to Evernote officials.

Sadly or oddly, though Evernote is supposedly used in excess of 200 millions all over the globe, there is not much available in the way of useful publication. Made me think that no one wants to lose money or just waste time over a software which seems to be a puzzle to its own company.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

The trouble with this so-called user forum is that requests for improvements are quite regularly commented by some Gurus in a way that feels kind of insulting. 

This particular forum has been set up by Evernote for users to post feature requests.  
It's called "Evernote Feature Requests"

In addition to posting requests and votes, users also discuss the issue and explore work arounds
I've learned a lot from the discussions and appreciate the users posting their solutions (member, noteworthy and guru).  I don't feel insulted

>>Nobody, repeat nobody, should be told to use another editor because Evernote is missing functionality.

I recommend using alternate editors.  
I'll add my vote to the request, however I'm not going to be restricted by the limitations in the Evernote editor.  It's ok for basic notes but I often need the features in dedicated apps  

 

Link to comment
  • 0

I am also think that markdown (even basically implemented) can be a huge asset for Evernote. 

The main problem I have in my notes is to read them because the formatting is messy. 

Indeed when I take notes I don’t have time to increase or decrease the font. So the only formatting I use is bold and underline. 

For example, it would be great if when I tap « # My title », the text would be automatically formatted as a level 1 title.

That’s a feature I experienced in Bear or IAWriter. It would be awesome in Evernote because as a note taking app most important features are to be able to enter text quickly and to read them later. (Also to search for your notes but on that point Evernote makes a great job).  

Link to comment
  • 0
17 hours ago, DTLow said:

This particular forum has been set up by Evernote for users to post feature requests.  
It's called "Evernote Feature Requests"

In addition to posting requests and votes, users also discuss the issue and explore work arounds
I've learned a lot from the discussions and appreciate the users posting their solutions (member, noteworthy and guru).  I don't feel insulted

>>Nobody, repeat nobody, should be told to use another editor because Evernote is missing functionality.

I recommend using alternate editors.  
I'll add my vote to the request, however I'm not going to be restricted by the limitations in the Evernote editor.  It's ok for basic notes but I often need the features in dedicated apps  

 

I feel that i am paying a yearly subscription because i expect improvements to be made over the years and since i am paying money for improvements and support, i have the right to make noise and express my frustrations in the feature request thread of user forum as much as i want when the feature i want is not implemented over 5+ years.

Also, i don't want to be told to use another alternative if the feature i expect from a product is not there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, PaceWalker said:

I feel that i am paying a yearly subscription because i expect ...

I pay the subscription fee for the continued processing of my data.  I need the enhanced featureset and limits

>> I have the right to make noise and express my frustrations

If you say so.  

I use the voting buttons to indicate my support for a request; I’m not into the dramatics

>>Also, i don't want to be told to use another alternative if the feature i expect from a product is not there.

If you’re not interested in the work-arounds, don’t use them.

For  me, I’m not willing to give up on the features I need

Link to comment
  • 0
7 hours ago, DTLow said:

I pay the subscription fee for the continued processing of my data.  I need the enhanced featureset and limits

>> I have the right to make noise and express my frustrations

If you say so.  

I use the voting buttons to indicate my support for a request; I’m not into the dramatics

>>Also, i don't want to be told to use another alternative if the feature i expect from a product is not there.

If you’re not interested in the work-arounds, don’t use them.

For  me, I’m not willing to give up on the features I need

Cool , good for you. I think the reason evernote does not improve might be due to users like you, who don't seem to be interested in voicing out and making strong demands so that the product can grow and become better but blindly worshipping evernote as if it has nothing wrong. 

I am not willing to give up on the features i need too, which is markdown support, that is why i am expressing my frustrations using plain language instead of lazily pressing the up button.

I know every possible workarounds, i even wrote some web apps to to write notes with markdown and syntax highlight. But wait a moment, why i should not be the one finding a work-around in the first place ? Shouldn't it be the job of evernote team to support customers with their use cases , provide solutions be it temporary or not and listen to customer's requests ?

Funny story of the day:

One day, a restaraunt run out of salt and served 2 dishes without salt to customers.

Person A talks to the manager demanding a refund or a new dish to be served.

Person B thought to himself :"it is okay, maybe the cook want that dish to be healthier and i can work-around by bringing my own salt"
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*

 

47 minutes ago, PaceWalker said:

Cool , good for you. I think the reason evernote does not improve might be due to users like you, who don't seem to be interested in voicing out and making strong demands so that the product can grow and become better but blindly worshipping evernote as if it has nothing wrong.

This is both nonsensical and unfair: DTLow helps other Evernote users use Evernote better, pretty much every day. He knows as well as anyone that Evernote has limitations -- and expresses them -- but as I see it, he's found Evernote to be overall worth it to stick with, despite those limitations (I feel much the same way). I see no blind worship there, just a strong desire to spend time getting things done as effectively as possible with the tool at hand.

52 minutes ago, PaceWalker said:

I am not willing to give up on the features i need too, which is markdown support, that is why i am expressing my frustrations using plain language instead of lazily pressing the up button.

While we always hope and expect that improvements will be made, we're really just paying for a service. If Evernote wasn't of use to me as it exists here and now, I wouldn't use it, much less pay for it, plain and simple; that would just be foolish. Your expectations may be different, but hey, it's your money; unfortunately, that's not what the contract is.

That being said, you are of course correct in that you have a right to make noise and express your frustrations here on the forums, and nobody's disputing that. On the other hand, we users cannot change the code, but we can try to find workarounds for limitations, which is completely valid because we can't change the code.

As for your funny story of the day, cute (though not very apt), but you forgot Person C, who, knowing that there was no salt, went ahead and ate the whole saltless meal anyway and still wants a refund, plus the right to sit around in the restaurant's lobby making fun of other diners who ate the same meal but didn't complain adequately or goodness, even enjoyed it without salt.

52 minutes ago, PaceWalker said:

I know every possible workarounds, i even wrote some web apps to to write notes with markdown and syntax highlight.

Um, OK. Were you able to reliably round-trip arbitrary HTML back to Markdown, which would be the real key to full Markdown support? Converting Markdown to HTML is not that big a deal; going the other way is much harder.

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
On 2017-08-25 at 9:57 AM, PaceWalker said:

voicing out and making strong demands so that the product can grow and become better

The Squeaky Wheel Theory59a074184f8da_ScreenShot2017-08-25at11_59_30.png.c87cc87bb1228dca8bbed0a64e03e406.png

also known as Greasy Wheels

 

 

 

>>Funny Story 

I see myself as person C.  I eat at the restaurant because it's the best choice around.  
I did speak with the manager but I'm not going to obsess about it
I like salt on my food.  Knowing there's a salt shortage, I bring my own.  I share my salt with other customersi

Then there's person D.  They eat at the restaurant because it's the best choice around.
They are aware of the salt 
shortage and have spoken to the manager
They eat their food without salt and "voice out"
They blame person C for the salt shortage

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 0

@DTLow

Please simply accept the fact that there are people who expect more from the Evernote editor than you do.  

Henry Ford was supposed to have said "you can get any colour providing it is black". Salt was said to have been the gold of the Middle Ages. 

Relevance to today?  Gone! 

In conclusion, it is only right and proper for users to remind Evernote time and again of what is sorely missing. Charges have gone up some time ago, yet the editor gets more bug ridden with every tiny little addition.  

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

Please simply accept the fact that there are people who expect more from the Evernote editor than you do.  

 

@JohnLongney  Please simply accept that there are people who require more features than the Evernote editor provides, for example Markdown

I actively seek solutions for obtaining these missing features

>>In conclusion, it is only right and proper for users to remind Evernote time and again of what is sorely missing.

Not my thing; I’ll leave that to you.  

I add my vote to the requests; I’m more interested in solutions to missing features 

 

Link to comment
  • 0
11 hours ago, PaceWalker said:

Cool , good for you. I think the reason evernote does not improve might be due to users like you, who don't seem to be interested in voicing out and making strong demands so that the product can grow and become better but blindly worshipping evernote as if it has nothing wrong. 

I am not willing to give up on the features i need too, which is markdown support, that is why i am expressing my frustrations using plain language instead of lazily pressing the up button.

I know every possible workarounds, i even wrote some web apps to to write notes with markdown and syntax highlight. But wait a moment, why i should not be the one finding a work-around in the first place ? Shouldn't it be the job of evernote team to support customers with their use cases , provide solutions be it temporary or not and listen to customer's requests ?


Funny story of the day:

One day, a restaraunt run out of salt and served 2 dishes without salt to customers.

Person A talks to the manager demanding a refund or a new dish to be served.

Person B thought to himself :"it is okay, maybe the cook want that dish to be healthier and i can work-around by bringing my own salt"

If you say Evernote never improves I guess you must be blind. (Bug fixes is improvements)

By the way, I believe there are much more features which may be believed to be more important than markdown.

Well, text editor most of the time could do markdown nowadays like visual studio code etc. The time u spend complaining could be done searching easily with google assistant / Cortana / Siri to search for a workaround?

Also, I believe the Evernote staff would have seen this since it is at 282 Upvotes?

(not wanting to say anything but the words got me triggered.)

Link to comment
  • 0

Leanote (http://leanote.org) is rocking exactly the concept that would work for Evernote.

I've been using it on and off during it's development, and it's quite capable with none of the often strange and awful formatting issues Evernote continues to have to this day. Edit and store in markdown, display in rendered HTML. 

I bet they could be bought for a pretty reasonable sum...

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
10 hours ago, stephen_bradley said:

Edit and store in markdown, display in rendered HTML. 

Can the export be stored as an attachment to an Evernote note?

I’m enthused about using alternate editors to get extended features

>>I bet they could be bought for a pretty reasonable sum...

I suspect this feature requires a proprietary format not supported by Evernote’s enml  base (Edit and store in markdown, display in rendered HTML).  For sure, the Edit part is do-able; we’re already seeing pieces of this

edited: Reading the documentation for Marxico, I see
Marxico puts the Markdown text in a hidden area of the note, which makes it possible to get the original text in Marxico and edit it again.

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, stephen_bradley said:

Edit and store in markdown, display in rendered HTML.

Ok, but Evernote stores its notes in ENML (sort of a subset of XHTML), not Markdown. It's one thing to go from Markdown into XHTML (which is, I think may be what you're saying), but can you easily go back to Markdown from XHTML? Anyways, with that in mind, there is this: 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
22 hours ago, Doff said:

Please have a look at Boostnote.

I’m all for using alternate editors and storing the documents as attachments in Evernote

Will Boostnote allow this storage 

Link to comment
  • 0

Dude this feature would be awesome. It would be absolutely sick if it could be implemented with keyboard shortcuts for example cmd + opt + 1 for heading 1 for like titles. Then cmd + opt + 2 for heading 2 and all the way up to 6.

Also seriously I don't get those that are saying, "if you want this feature look elsewhere." Seriously this is a very robust and convenient note taking program. Syncs with multiple devices, has web plugins, nice sharing features, decent organization. Going to a different solution for note taking would be very inconvenient because not many have all these features Evernote has. Adding markdown capability would not be outside of what Evernote is meant to do. It would go hand in hand with what it's meant for.

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, Pavlik said:

Dude this feature would be awesome. It would be absolutely sick if it could be implemented with keyboard shortcuts for example cmd + opt + 1 for heading 1 for like titles. Then cmd + opt + 2 for heading 2 and all the way up to 6.

This would be nice, but it's not Markdown.

11 hours ago, Pavlik said:

Also seriously I don't get those that are saying, "if you want this feature look elsewhere."

Actually, that's a common-sense take on the situation. Basically, the stance is "Evernote doesn't supply it now, and while it's fine to request it, there's no guarantee that they will add it. Therefore, if it's critical to your workflow (and third-party additions like Marxico -- see https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/61145-marxico-the-missing-markdown-editor-for-evernote/ -- don't cut it) then you should look elsewhere".

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • 0
2 hours ago, jefito said:

This would be nice, but it's not Markdown.

 

Yeah, I realized that now but still this would be a really nice feature. It would help with my note taking a whole ton.

2 hours ago, jefito said:

Actually, that's a common-sense take on the situation. Basically, the stance is "Evernote doesn't supply it now, and while it's fine to request it, there's no guarantee that they will add it. Therefore, if it's critical to your workflow (and third-party additions like Marxico -- see https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/61145-marxico-the-missing-markdown-editor-for-evernote/ -- don't cut it) then you should look elsewhere".

 

I get your point but if everyone is pushing for it then Evernote can't stay silent on it. At least they shouldn't haha. Currently I am considering other options though for note taking. I'm still keeping Evernote for other general notes but notes for school are not working on Evernote. I need better organization, styling, and keyboard shortcuts.

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Pavlik said:

Yeah, I realized that now but still this would be a really nice feature. It would help with my note taking a whole ton.

And it's been requested elsewhere, so you should use search to find that, and add your vote to it. We try to keep separate requests, well, separate.

 

1 hour ago, Pavlik said:

I get your point but if everyone is pushing for it then Evernote can't stay silent on it. At least they shouldn't haha.

Evernote staff don't often comment on feature requests; sometimes they do, and sometimes not. In this topic, it's a not. There's a lot of us, and not so many of them, so that's somewhat understandable. As it is, in the Windows client, they've taken some small steps to add Markdown-ish shortcuts for some features (bullet lists, tables, etc.), but it's far from full Markdown, and the original 'Markdown' text is not retained.

Oh, and 'everyone' is not pushing for it. To be sure, this is a pretty popular request, but it doesn't include everyone, by far.

Link to comment
  • 0

I tried marxi.co, but you can't edit notes already in evernote, and you can't edit in evernote a note created in marxi.co and after reedit in marxi.co

so as evernote team talked us about markdown in 2015, and as it's the top feature request, I hope they will act ?

I really need markdown or headings directly in evernote, please I use evernote for more than 9 years and don't want to change because this simple reason :(

 

 

Link to comment
  • 0
5 minutes ago, jefito said:

Reference for this? I found this thread: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/89115-feature-request-what-is-markdown-and-why-evernote-needs-it/, but saw no evidence that Evernote was committing to a full-on Markdown experience.

 

hello Jefito

it's here, in an official blog post :

https://blog.evernote.com/blog/2015/09/22/the-future-of-writing-in-evernote/

Quote

Bulleted lists and pasted content will become sharper. Image and table handling will be amazing. Basic markdown will be a reality. Beyond the fundamentals, it’ll open up new possibilities for what a note is and how you use and share it.

 

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, matthieu. said:

hello Jefito

it's here, in an official blog post :

Thanks. Missed (or forgot) that one. OK, from the blog post: "Basic markdown will be a reality."

Basic markdown != actual Markdown. As I said above, they've added some Markdown-ish shortcuts to the Windows client (and maybe the Mac client), but that's a long way from the real thing, and that quote doesn't promise actual Markdown. That being said, the common editor project is still a work in progress, but the work is pretty slow at present.

Link to comment
  • 0
14 minutes ago, jefito said:

Basic markdown != actual Markdown. As I said above, they've added some Markdown-ish shortcuts to the Windows client (and maybe the Mac client)

I didn't notice some markdown stuff in the windows client ? (I use mainly evernote on a windows computer)

the minimum should be the use of headings, without that we dont have semantic construction of the notes, it's really important in a note app

as you say, they improve all of that too slowly, and I've a problem with this because it's the core of the app, and they increase de prices, without increasing the quality :(

 

 

Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, matthieu. said:

We saw basic markdown (lowercase m) implemented with this Mac version

Finally, many people have asked for ways to speed formatting via the keyboard and we've added this in 6.2 by allowing you to use markdown-inspired shortcuts.  We’ve posted a blog post about our new common editor and this is one of the first major new features from this team. Expect more in the coming months.  This basically means that you can type characters into your note that will automatically apply formatting or a style to the text.  Here’s the list of formatting options supported.

  •  
    Inline Formatting
     
    *Text* = Italics
     
    **Text** = Bold
     
    ~~Text~~ = Strikethrough
     
    !!Text!! = Highlight
     
    `Text`= Code Block  

     
  •  
    Lists and Tables
     
    Typing “1. “ will start a numbered list
     
    Typing “* “ will start a bulleted list
     
    Typing [] or [ ] will create an unchecked checkbox
     
    Typing [x] will create a checked checkbox
     
    Typing a line of at least three * or - will add a horizontal rule
     
    Typing a [][][] on it’s own line will add a table with 3 columns 
     
    Typing [][][][]x2 on it’s own line will add a table with 4 columns and 2 rows
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Inline Formatting

...

As far as I know, these aren't in the Windows client.

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Lists and Tables

...

These are in the Windows client, all as options you can enable or disable. Tools / Options / Note / Note editing options.

 

4 hours ago, matthieu. said:

the minimum should be the use of headings, without that we dont have semantic construction of the notes, it's really important in a note app

There is no support for headings, per se, because there's no support for headings in Evernote at this time. It's a frequently requested feature (even more than Markdown, and deservedly so, in my opinion).

4 hours ago, matthieu. said:

as you say, they improve all of that too slowly, and I've a problem with this because it's the core of the app, and they increase de prices, without increasing the quality

I never said 'too slowly';  sure, there are features I'd like to see, but Evernote works well for me now, hence my stance:

On 10/7/2017 at 1:32 PM, jefito said:

"Evernote doesn't supply it now, and while it's fine to request it, there's no guarantee that they will add it. Therefore, if it's critical to your workflow (and third-party additions like Marxico -- see https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/61145-marxico-the-missing-markdown-editor-for-evernote/ -- don't cut it) then you should look elsewhere"

 

Link to comment
  • 0

Yea, I'm in agreement with everyone here and am yet again fed up with the Evernote team, who charges a premium price and doesn't deliver on basic features.  On the plus side I just, like 20 min ago, stumbled upon http://elephant.mine.nu/ which has markdown support, handles attachments, is cross platform and syncs via dropbox, google drive, box.com or whatever sync client you have.  At an initial review the app seems to be exactly what I wanted Evernote to be... oh and it's free.  ( ymmv )

( I'm not the developer, or even heard about this app before today, I don't gain anything from anyone using it, just trying to assist other frustrated users of Evernote like myself )

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...