thoughts about V10 (with a little more distance)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, mrsjones_speaks said:

It seems my Windows based Evernote life will be stuck in 2020 (of all times!). I was part of the Beta, gave my feedback, uninstalled, and went back. Today, I tried again to no avail. The new update comes at the cost of stripping away everything I use and love about the Windows desktop version. I have used Evernote personally and professionally for 10 years. I use it daily on multiple devices. This is a devastating setback.

Notes - we lost all access to our font list and reduced to five? Set line spacing around text that you cannot change. Spacing around images that used to be a nonissue. I don't need my notes spread out down the page. I use small fonts for a reason. Snippet view is huge now - only 7 notes visible compared to 12 on the old version

Shortcuts - why did we lose access to them in the toolbar?

Search - why is that taking up space in the navigation window? it was fine where it was or add it to the toolbar. The navigation panel is prime real estate that I should be able to control.

Folders - no option to remove Recent Notes from the Shortcuts menu is the opposite of helpful. Why take away styles for notes? I use color coding to organize my folders for the different subjects and activities I teach and coach.

If I wanted to use the web version, I would. I use the desktop version for all of the functionality mentioned above.

Reinstall 6.25.  If you didn't save a copy you can find it here.  6.25 should be around for a while and hopefully some of this hot mess gets fixed in the meantime.

8 minutes ago, CalS said:

Reinstall 6.25.  If you didn't save a copy you can find it here.  6.25 should be around for a while and hopefully some of this hot mess gets fixed in the meantime.

The legacy version of the actual/old version Evernote_6.25.2.9198 as well is to find and to download via the Evernote article "Install an older version of Evernote" on https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314.

•  

I am a premium paying customer.

How can such a big announcement result in such an epic failure:

1. Looks all all the native windows UI is now HTML5 with embedded Chromium windows

2. Shortcut toolbar - where did it go?

3. Creating a new note doesn't open a new window - OMG!

4. Opening a note in a new window takes almost 10 seconds - OMG!

THANKS BUT NO THANKS - Luckily had the old installer saved on my laptop.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

yes - I'me the user side - I miss a lot of features - recently switched back to Evernote from a different tool because of lack of feature on the mobile devices there - and now, Evernote has dropped core features: search in shared notebooks by others to yourself: gone. Tag filter to easily find your notes (or notes shared to you without any knowledge what Tags could be assigned to them): gone (currently only ALL Tags are listed, this is NOT a filter)

Share, Search, Tags - poorly supported now - can't believe this is still an Evernote app.

• Like 3

hello, 

i downgraded the new version of evernote 10.10 to the version 7.9 

it's the wisest decision ever .. 

the new version is useless .. you can think that they changed the hole concept of the application 

Evernote is gone .. 

• Like 8

Yes I had to load the old version as well because the new version is so shockingly bad. Never seen a company do something like this before, it’s like corporate suicide. 
What are they thinking? If I worked for that company right now I wouldn’t be getting much sleep. I can tell you as a 10 year paid subscriber I’m not sleeping either. Wrote this at 2:35am I put the last ten years of my life into Evernote. 

• Like 4
6 分鐘前, MrIllustrator說:

Yes I had to load the old version as well because the new version is so shockingly bad. Never seen a company do something like this before, it’s like corporate suicide. 
What are they thinking? If I worked for that company right now I wouldn’t be getting much sleep. 

If you use Facebook for free and you are the product, the case in Evernote is definitely much worse than that.

You have paid but you are worse than a product. A toy? No. A ***** labour who have to pay to the employer rather than getting paid.

Well said. The worst company I have ever seen in the world.

• Confused 1

I tried the new version tonight. I knew nothing of this 'no more local notebook storage' prior to doing so. As the installation completed I became scared to death, I thought all old notes were lost. I've spent the past few hours panic stricken because of this nonsense. Thank goodness I'd set a system restore point prior to installing this nightmare. I have over ten years of notes in Evernote. I do not place them on other people's servers, never, not once. I don't store a single note in Evernote's cloud service, not one, not ever. Now I need to research other Note programs, specifically that don't force your information into the cloud. Man, talk about a bad move Evernote!!! At least warn people prior to installing this nonsense. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I'm not sure if this is user error or some cosmic event interfering, but printing a website page to save as a PDF in Evernote on the Mac (the way I have generally saved PDFs to Evernote for years now) stopped working when I downgraded to the legacy version (7.14.1 from the Evernote website). It goes through the process and looks OK, but when I go to view it in Evernote, even after forcing a sync (something we can no longer do in the new version), nothing appears. I can still accomplish this task on a different Mac computer that never got upgraded / downgraded (version 7.14 before the legacy release). In other words, the legacy version is now broken in new ways since the release of 10.

I assume this is a bug. I assume it will be fixed at some point. But, my concern is that the legacy app will increasingly become incompatible with me and my workflow as time goes on, forcing me onto 10, which is entirely incompatible with my workflow. This plan (?) seems like a terrible one for releasing a new version (however nice the new stuff is), and a terrible idea if you want to retain your existing customers, especially the ones who love the product and pay for it. 

My warning to fellow users would be to try to avoid the downgrading scenario, if possible, because you may encounter unpleasant problems. I could revert to an even earlier version of the app if I scrounge around on the Internet looking for it, but I think I won't waste the time (I've got more to say on this in another thread).

• Level 5

What does it mean you „downgraded“ ?

Uninstalled v10, reinstalled legacy ?

Was v10 really purged from your Mac, using AppCleaner, or are there parts of it that still stick on your Mac ? 

Creating pdf and sharing it to any app are OS functions. If they are blocked, probably there is something left from the previous install which catches anything that wants to go through to the legacy install.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

I'm not sure if this is user error or some cosmic event interfering, but printing a website page to save as a PDF in Evernote on the Mac (the way I have generally saved PDFs to Evernote for years now) stopped working when I downgraded to the legacyversion (7.14.1 from the Evernote website)

Print PDF to Evernote works for me
I actually renamed the Evernote Legacy app to "Evernote" so that may have been the solution

The list can be manually edited; add/remove entries
I added the Evernote v10 app to the menu 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
38 minutes ago, MrIllustrator said:

..."bring a few of the legacy features to our new apps". "a few" !, are you going to wait and see if one of those features is data export before or after they get rid of the working version.

Good point. Thanks for stressing this. I think they are likely to have some sort of export, because they are talking about different formats, but when will that come? And, is only being able to select 50 notes at a time a feature or a "missing to be added later" element? I don't know, and I would recommend not waiting to find out.

As always, it's good practice to keep daily backups (Time Machine on Mac) and to keep an exported version of your notes on hand (.enex and/or .html). But, as you said, the exports may not be possible for long, so tonight might be a good night to get it done.

By the way, Apple Notes (infamously) doesn't even offer a way out of their application. If you are on Mac, I'd recommend something with better portability as an alternative place to put your notes.

Thank you GrumpyMonekey, I'm still looking for an alternative, I've not found anything that approaches the old Evernote unfortunately so for speed I'm forced to just go with Apple for now until I find the new place to rest my files safely and reliably.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

When you have it installed, it stays.

There are other web sites in the Internet where you can find all sort of legacy installs.

There may be another issue (but probably not in the near future): If the database on the server changes, sync will stop. And with MacOS, there is the switch to BigSur, and further. But all this is no immediate concern.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Print PDF to Evernote works for me
I actually renamed the Evernote Legacy app to "Evernote" so that may have been the solution

I also added the Evernote v10 app to the menu 

Hmm. Must be user error somewhere along the way. Weird. Perhaps renaming will help. Thanks for the advice.

I was not happy at all with the update to Evernote. I have also downgraded and was very relieved to find this thread.

I have been building my business on Evernote for the past 5 years and it's been super productive then just one day randomly they decide to change everything? There were so many missing features and the interface looked terrible.

Let's go through a few things that are terrible changes:

• Overall the interface seems to be some kind of web view or electron app that has much worse performance (notes load slower and it's much less responsive)
  • No preferences or settings whatsoever...
  • The spacing between notes is massive (too much and makes it hard to see multiple notebooks and stacks in a quick, scalable manner
  • The notes have 2-steps to click on links? (that's extremely unproductive and slow)
  • The fonts are terrible
  • The CMD+J is gone
  • The list view spacing is also huge and doesn't let you easily see note titles
  • The search box is useless because before it was just CMD+J and the new note button is massive and way too big
  • The dropdowns for some options are not native (they are again some web-based dropdown which is much slower)
  • Some of the content simply didn't render correctly and went into HTML content boxes which I have no idea what it is
  • The edit menu in the top of notes is too intrusive and distracts from note taking (I like it small and simple)
  • And tons more issues...

The point is that this was not desirable at all for many users. And we want the first version around for the lifetime of our subscription. (do not make it temporary).

Again, WE ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE NEW VERSION and DO NOT WANT TO USE IT.

PLEASE KEEP THE OLD VERSION AVAILABLE.

We are building businesses that are important on Evernote and it's not fair to users to force them to get a worse version.

I needed to post this because I am working on my business full time and this is literally the last thing I need to ruin my days.

Thank you for understanding and I look forward to continuing with Evernote Legacy.

• Like 4

I'm a down-grader too.  What a disastrous new version.  What are they thinking?  I've been on the platform from the begging.  They nearly lost me over the note privacy issue about 4-5 years back - this is probably the nail in their coffin for me.  Great new gadget look and feel BUT THE APPLICATION IS WORTHLESS without customizable columns and sorting.

I'm a GTD oriented user, anyone find a new home yet?

D

Also in v10, multiple notebook windows / tabbed windows is gone, all my formatting is gone, it's using 100% CPU for hours, BUT they managed to implement Find & Change inside a note. Wow! That took some years. Now with 'multiple windows' gone and the 100% CPU and the same slowness as before, it is now become unusable for me. I've had it with Evernote. I'm going to move 10000 notes to something else. UNLESS ... they bring back the multiple notebook window feature back within a week.  .... nah, a week is too long. I've already decided.

• Like 2

I

1 hour ago, MrIllustrator said:

I also have 10,000+ notes to move, took me 10 years to get to this position, I'm really hating this.

The utter contempt to their users is gutting.

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 22.02.37.png

I've just done some research and tests and I choose Apple Notes (I'm on Mac). Fastest way to move them over : https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-transfer-evernote-notes-to-apple-notes-2016-6#choose-a-file-name-and-location-to-save-your-notebook-3 

That's a somewhat outdated article, because now Evernote saves the notes in a '.enex' file (still an XML file), and the good thing is that Apple Notes can read it and it imported my first 74 notes from 2010 without problems (they include PDFs and JPGs). So luckily this will will be a quick and painless move. Apple Notes doesn't have the tagging feature yet, so I have to find a solution for that.

Update: another introduced limitation in Evernote is that you cannot select more than 50 notes at one time.... 

I think the "new" version is just a bad web browser that let us connect with the Evernote web.

Just deleted it, if I wanted the web version, I would use the Firefox or another better web browser.

At least there is the legacy version to save us from this "new" version (it is truly a downgrade).

• Like 1

Oh my god, I wish I hadn't 'upgraded' to 10.1.7 this morning. It's a really dumbed down version from what I had before. So many issues. Like, where is the Sync button? Why can't I have my note list at the top of the screen any more (crucial if you want to see more than a few columns in the list). Where are user preferences. This sucks BIG TIME. Evernote, you are alienating core (paying) users with this *****. And it's so SLOW! Aaargh, I hate this.

• Like 1

I'm normally fine with adjusting to a new UI, change in layout - but this seems to a little more drastic than that.

None of my apple-script shortcuts and customisations work, and I'm not sure they ever will as this has become an electron app? 

Really don't want to have to go through the pain of migrating to another notes solution after 8+ years as a premium member..

I have been (and still am) really annoyed with V10 and what EN has done to "my" beloved product. my main issue being the removal of the local notebooks and thus no longer having the ability to truly leave my data private in the new app. but that's not the point here. with the distance of a few days I am thinking EN may be coming up with a solution for that use case eventually. if not I'll just have to sadly move on.

more fundamentally I am getting very curious about the performance issues of V10 and what that might mean for the future of the new approach of the electron based platform:

to avoid tempering with my production environment I have installed V10 with my approx. 15k notes on a separate machine. the app is really slow and unresponsive in comparison with the native client, even by comparison to other web apps. I was not quite sure why that is but suspected the number of notes might slow down the app. so I logged out, deleted the data, uninstalled the app, re-installed it and started new with a new and empty account I had registered. while the app was still substantially slower than the native app, it had sped up a lot compared to the 15k notes account.

if this experience is not a one off, but consistent it would be a substantial problem for the new framework as the accounts with bigger note numbers would be hit hardest by the downsizing of the evernote apps with V10. these accounts however will on average likely be the premium customers making up the revenue base of evernote.

as a disclaimer, I am not a software engineer, yet still a technologist, and I am somewhat at a loss how such an issue could be fixed to begin with as obviously the app needs to deal with all the notes there are. also additional features will add more complexity, which will likely tend to slow the app down even more...gosh, I hope I am wrong, and in absence of proper communication from EN directly maybe some users with more experience in software development can make the point I am wrong. but if I am not EN might have moved itself into the strategic dilemma of p**** off its paying customers most on the performance side and making things worse by slowly adding features back in that slow the app even more...

1 hour ago, toao said:

deleted the data, uninstalled the app, re-installed it and started new with a new and empty account I had registered. while the app was still substantially slower than the native app, it had sped up a lot compared to the 15k notes account.

I was wondering this about the number of the notes and the size of the database. I have 28,893 notes as of this morning, so if the new electron based platform is not going to handle this, it will be a really big concern/issue for me as I cannot operate on this slowness right now. It is contradicting the purpose of a "productivity" app.

I am really sincerely hoping that the speed issue is resolved otherwise I am not sure how long V6.25 will be in service and working. Time will tell.

Related to this subject, I know there has been talks about making all platforms look and feel the same which is really great but I never realized (watching the behind the scene videos) that the windows app will almost become like a web based app. Not sure if I missed it but this was really a shock for me to see how much it slowed down. I was never a fan of the web app since I had the same problem but I always used the web app so not a big deal for me. I think if you are not a heavy user like with 10K + notes, then web app thus the similar electron v10 app would work for majority of the people but for rest of us, I think it will present a major issue to resolve.

• Level 5
7 hours ago, Wozza said:

Oh my god, I wish I hadn't 'upgraded' to 10.1.7 this morning. It's a really dumbed down version from what I had before. So many issues. Like, where is the Sync button? Why can't I have my note list at the top of the screen any more (crucial if you want to see more than a few columns in the list). Where are user preferences. This sucks BIG TIME. Evernote, you are alienating core (paying) users with this *****. And it's so SLOW! Aaargh, I hate this.

Welcome to a pretty large club. If you take a look around the following specialized forum, you'll find threads dealing with these issues: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/720-evernote-for-windows-issues-versions-100-and-above/.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I would like to believe that, but everything I’ve seen points to the opposite.  Can you provide a link?

It was I believe said in the beta forum.....although now I can't find it....

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

It was I believe said in the beta forum.....although now I can't find it....

Thanks for checking.  Maybe the discussion was about offline notebooks instead of local notebooks?

• Like 1

Another user who has just upgraded to legacy.  A premium user reconsidering their subscription.

What do you mean only 5 fonts?

What do you mean I can only have a side note view and not a top note view like I prefer

And I am sure that there are others.

Disappointed.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

I think we are wearing different shades of rose tinted glasses. 🙂  My reading of the tea leaves is that local notebooks are gone (and I would love to be wrong) but they may be reconsidering their position on import folders.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I think we are wearing different shades of rose tinted glasses. 🙂  My reading of the tea leaves is that local notebooks are gone (and I would love to be wrong) but they may be reconsidering their position on import folders.

For sure.  I could very well be confused based upon the volume of posts since the V10 introduction.  In any case I have my local notebook exit strategy in place.  I think we discussed it before, simple Windows folders with Windows indexing.  Works well.  Putting off the work for a month or two just in case.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 10/19/2020 at 4:45 PM, s2sailor said:

Evernote posted that Import folders were not available yet   
I still have faith .... and the legacy version

• Like 1

Loyal subscriber here of 10 years.

V10 is awful for all the reasons others have said. I've just downgraded 7.14.1 which is so much nicer in many ways, and have now downloaded my entire notebook of 10 years while I consider alternatives.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

My own "thoughts about V10 (with a little more distance)":  😱😱😭😭🤢🤢🤬🤬

This is a disaster. My legacy version isn't syncing, even after reinstalling, and their support people (who generally make me do a lot of work for a little help) have a waiting list over 10 days. So I'm stuck with this laggy garbage. 

After one and a half month since iOS was launched,

• I like the UI but don't like most of the things need one more step, say clicking a link on MacOS/Windows.
  • I am confusing when using iOS, especially iPadOS. Sometimes there is a sidebar and sometimes there is not when searching.
    • There are so many useful functions but they have been hidden, especially when you are frustrated with the performance.
  • Still buggy/battery hog even after v10.1 on iOS/iPadOS and v10.2.4 on Mac.
  • The company is reluctant to respond to users, just being interviewed by YouTubers.
    • Irresponsible to customers, and just leave it to customer support (you're a team!)
  • Level 5*

Only issue in today's world is needing a server if you were ever to log out.  Log out, not close the window.  So as long as you never log out you should be okay.  One caveat, If EN were to do something to reach out and shut down old instances in the future.  Not sure they could or would.  So a slight risk.  Which could be remediated by blocking EN via your firewall or just turning off the internet. 

Im a long time paying evernote user also. I work in IT and have 1000s of notes, and they are all a mess now.
I had used specific formats and spacings, i had gone out of my way and even rewritten old notes to get everything uniform.

Found this thread and am going to downgrade, who the f@<# in mgmt ok'd this monumental stuff up!!
They should be fired as well as the design team.

I was about to look at exporting all my notes out ans cancelling my subscription.
Ill try the older version, but this needs to be fixed.

Very disappointed in Evernote team

• Like 2
On 10/12/2020 at 10:05 AM, MarcSant said:

Regarding the last buzz about the new 10 version, at least in my point of view, they are unifying the product to have a single development team, reducing costs by allowing the Windows team to have the same development base for Apple. 

This forces them to remove features that are highly dependent on the operating system, such as sending a note via email, changing the font to a list larger than just 5, among other things. 

What they did was: "we will implement a multi-platform version, release it with what we could provide for both ecosystems, and over time we will implement back what we removed." 

From a business point of view, it makes sense because you save money and focus in one direction only, with shorter development cycles.

But the problem is that they haven't thought about users at all: they've launched the new product and damn what the user thinks. They could have minimized all this stress by sending an email to all users talking about the new version, and in this email putting the link to the Legacy version in case the user didn't feel comfortable with the changes.

Procrustes would be pleased!

• Like 1
On 10/17/2020 at 1:38 AM, DTLow said:

Evernote offers a Legacy version Here for Windows and Mac platforms   
I'm using the Mac version (7.14.1)

This is MOST important information about this new version 10... It had to be on the first place everywhere in all message boxes of notification windows and setup wizard and  marked by RED... Some "new" features information costs nothing comparing to it. 
Discovering that new version is absolutely nonfunctional and makes whole Evernote application for Windows absolutely useless was a great stress... 
At least I am happy that this Legacy version exist - because it was very frightening to loose all data attempting to downgrade after this last upgrade, which doesn't support local database.
Thanks for this lifesaving option. How much time we have before we loose this desktop application completely?

On 11/11/2020 at 6:55 PM, Wirkki said:

This is MOST important information about this new version 10... It had to be on the first place everywhere in all message boxes of notification windows and setup wizard and  marked by RED... Some "new" features information costs nothing comparing to it. 
Discovering that new version is absolutely nonfunctional and makes whole Evernote application for Windows absolutely useless was a great stress... 
At least I am happy that this Legacy version exist - because it was very frightening to loose all data attempting to downgrade after this last upgrade, which doesn't support local database.
Thanks for this lifesaving option. How much time we have before we loose this desktop application completely?

nobody knows, well let me be precise: the users/customers do not know...you might want to consider doing frequent backups / exports, especially of any local (i.e. non synced notebooks) and either look around for suitable alternatives or eventually simply resign to the usage of the much more limited V10...who knows, maybe they will restore some of the functionality of the fully featured apps over time...that's a big part of the issue: they are not saying what they are up to and have established a track record of ignorance and neglect of their customers...

On 10/12/2020 at 10:05 AM, MarcSant said:

What they did was: "we will implement a multi-platform version, release it with what we could provide for both ecosystems, and over time we will implement back what we removed." 

Did they actually say the red bit somewhere? I'm very curious to know if this is actually part of their stated intentions. 

I'm hip to the first part (stripping it back to fundamentals which will play well on all OSes--resetting to zero, if you will), but I'm still trying to ascertain their intentions vis-a-vis lost features and the future thereof. :)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
35 minutes ago, toao said:

you might want to consider doing frequent backups / exports, especially of any local (i.e. non synced notebooks) and either look around for suitable alternatives or eventually simply resign to the usage of the much more limited V10

Let's not get too apocalyptic here - if you have an active legacy (or un-updated) copy of Evernote on your desktop,  you - by definition - already possess a copy of your database.  Evernote have given no sign that they plan to disavow the previous versions yet,  but even should they do so,  you'll still have your database and the ability to export that to other applications.  Evernote would not and could not remove your access to the notes - and plenty of other sharks will be fishing around for unhappy former users to sign up to their systems.  I'd imagine anyone that hasn't got an Evernote notes import feature has prioritised that already...

41 minutes ago, toao said:

not saying what they are up to and have established a track record of ignorance and neglect of their customers...

...and that's just mean.  "Not saying" is what they've (not) done for 10 years or more,  and while Evernote is a corporate body out for its own profit...  what else is new?  That description (and the resulting behaviour) is common throughout IT - evidence Google recently deciding it won't offer unlimited image storage any more. (Though I'm surprised they did that in the first place!) 

9 minutes ago, hanseric said:

I'm still trying to ascertain their intentions vis-a-vis lost features and the future thereof. 

And the 'restoring lost features' thing is something I have in my head too - I'm fairly sure Ian Small said it in one or more of his video appearances in the last few weeks,  though I couldn't pin that down further...

Certainly the update notes are beginning to feature 'coming soon' items that include some old favourites...  I'd be hopeful.

18 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Certainly the update notes are beginning to feature 'coming soon' items that include some old favourites...  I'd be hopeful.

I'll pay more attention to those from now on where possible.

I kind of tapped out of the v10 updates after this major update fail I experienced. I literally have the very latest update .exe in my Downloads as I write this and I'm eyeing it suspiciously, wondering if it's worth trying again or should I wait a few more iterations. 

[insert game show thinking music here]

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, toao said:

you might want to consider doing frequent backups / exports, especially of any local (i.e. non synced notebooks)

Good advice, and not specific to Evernote
As part of my data backups I have daily incremental and weekly full backup using Evernote's export feature    
Mac's Time Machine is also doing hourly incremental backups

For anyone using Local Notebooks (Evernote Legacy), data backups are required    
By definition, the data is not being uploaded to the servers and backed up by Evernote

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, hanseric said:

I literally have the very latest update .exe in my Downloads as I write this

How exactly do updates work in v10? (You'll note that I am not going anywhere near them for the rest of this year at least!!)

There was a suggestion that Evernote were setting themselves up to be able to apply updates automatically and transparently as the app develops; but it sounds like the system still gives you an "update available" alert,  which you can follow up if you want...

I may be dating myself (I admit it, I'm old). Does anyone remember "Packrat" from Polaris Software? It was a precursor for Evernote type programs. It was a great application and was widely in use until they came out with an ill-conceived upgrade. The analogy is not perfect. Their problem was they came up with great improvements, but could not produce a stable version. For Evernote, they have a stable new version, it just doesn't do much. How many times have we heard that features are coming 'later'?

I'll remain a loyal paying customer as long as they maintain the V6 branch in Windows or provide a feature equivalent V10.  I have had V10 installed for a couple of days, but I just reinstalled the 'legacy' application and will be using that. I'm retired and not a business user and I store almost everything digital in Evernote. That gives me access to my information everywhere. One of the primary features I use is to move a PDF into Evernote. It was simple using Nitro Reader 5 by clicking a menu option. When I installed V10, the menu item disappeared. Now, it's something that's 'coming'. I also learned this morning, that hitting the delete key doesn't move a note to the trash anymore. Now, it's 'CTRL-Backspace'. In my opinion, that's nothing more than making a change for the sake of making a change.

Upgrades should at least preserve the features of an old version. Offering a stripped-down new version may serve the developers. I guess I have to question that since this version has so many things missing from it, why the management decided to release it before it was ready. When V10 becomes feature-equivalent to V6, I'll take a look again.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Let's not get too apocalyptic here - if you have an active legacy (or un-updated) copy of Evernote on your desktop,  you - by definition - already possess a copy of your database.  Evernote have given no sign that they plan to disavow the previous versions yet,  but even should they do so,  you'll still have your database and the ability to export that to other applications.  Evernote would not and could not remove your access to the notes - and plenty of other sharks will be fishing around for unhappy former users to sign up to their systems.  I'd imagine anyone that hasn't got an Evernote notes import feature has prioritised that already...

you are absolutely right they have not given us any sign on when they will discontinue the fully featured desktop apps (just *that* they will do so at some point). just as they have given us no sign they would make them unsupported legacy and provide us with a stripped down and slow official version instead. that very behavior makes it somewhat hard for me to be overly confident in evernote's future actions. this is what I am referring to - they have lost trust with a portion of their paying customer base (me included). we just don't know how sizeable that portion actually is.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

...and that's just mean.  "Not saying" is what they've (not) done for 10 years or more,  and while Evernote is a corporate body out for its own profit...  what else is new?  That description (and the resulting behaviour) is common throughout IT - evidence Google recently deciding it won't offer unlimited image storage any more. (Though I'm surprised they did that in the first place!)

not quite sure what's "mean" about this - to me this is pretty factual (see above). maybe you have seen a roadmap of what they are up to in terms of (re-)introducing? if you have and can share it I'd be delighted to stand corrected. and that the "legacy" apps are no longer supported (even if they continue to work for now) is official company wording to my knowledge. how would you describe that if not as "ignorance and neglect of their customers"? and just because google has done it as well (with a sidekick of their business, not their main money maker search) does not make evernote's approach any better, does it?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, toao said:

a stripped down and slow official version instead.

Still with the emotive language.  I haven't seen any sign that 6.25.2 (the legacy version) is any less capable than 6.25.1 (that last public release - that I'm now on.)  I believe the legacy version was tweaked to allow v10 to run alongside it and share syncs as and when they happen.  I did advise someone who's running 6.25.1 alongside v10 and experiencing some slowdowns,  to go back and nuke his installation and reinstall 25.1 on its own (from the Forum link which is still live).  It will be interesting to see the outcome.  Either way the last public version is still freely available if you have issues with other options.

2 minutes ago, toao said:

does not make evernote's approach any better, does it?

<Sigh>  "Evernote's approach"  being what exactly?  They issued a new version and said they weren't going to support the old one forever. 

Sounds like every other app update in history  from every other provider so far...  and it makes sound business sense because otherwise instead of replacing the 5(?) support networks they have now with a single more efficient option,  they wind up with 6 support mechanisms instead.  Of course they're going to promote changing to the new version as hard as possible. 

And even if they do withdraw support unexpectedly - I already made the point you will have a full copy of your database in the last public or current legacy versions,  which will be exportable to any other product you care to try.

Please stop saying the sky is falling.  It really,  really is not.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
37 minutes ago, mrschwarz said:

I may be dating myself (I admit it, I'm old). 

I'll see your 'old' and raise you an 'ancient'.  I remember my first Eureka moment on an IBM PC when TSR (terminate and stay resident) software was produced and something called PE (Personal Editor) could be called up even while you were working on a database in the one DOS window that was available on my one-floppy (no hard drive) desktop.  Two windows at the same time!  It was ground-breaking... way back then...  ☺️

• Haha 1
On 10/7/2020 at 4:19 PM, CalS said:

Thanks for this link but this is for the Windows versions.  Any idea where to find old Mac versions? 

So, I came to the forums before trying the new version, because I thought "I bet they've completely screwed the pooch on this, like they do every time they announce a big update."  

Seems I was right - I guess I'll hold off on upgrading, yeah?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I just downloaded the Evernote Legacy version for Mac and, oh my God, it's amazing! Blistering fast! Well, at least it seems blistering fast if you're coming from Evernote 10 (which is a sluggish mess, as we all know).