App Performance Issues: Slowness/Poor Responsiveness/Lag

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

14 hours ago, jdmarch said:

Thanks for the info @OrbWeaver. Presumably (and from brief look at its docs) Joplin does not have Evernote's ability to do fuzzy searching in images? For everything else it sounds perfect. And frankly markdown would be a relief after Evernote's stubborn inability, decade after decade, to allow me to reformat text to my needs.

Fuzzy searching? All my stuff is fuzzy. I'm retired remember and my eyesight is getting bad so everything is fuzzy these days. But seriously though, I would have to say their search is not up to Evernote's standards. Searching PDF/Word files is not there, nor is text recognition in images and a search can't be restricted to specific items (eg: search in title only) but Joplin is pretty new. It's still version 1.xx so there's a lot of enhancements possible by the time it gets to version 6.xx. Hopefully they don't follow Evernote and come up with a version 10.xx

BTW For those who like dark themes, Joplin has a few of those that work well even in Windows 7. My old eyes are most grateful for that.

• Like 1

For the record, my initial impression of 10.6.9 on Mac is that the performance is much improved. No long waits yet (much less freezes).

Time will tell. Still not updating my Windows (primary Evernote) machine.

I've invested years in Evernote and intend to keep it so long as it is working and it allows me to use the legacy version that I currently enjoy.  In the meanwhile, I am doing frequent downloads of the enex files and have even verified that these work well in the Joplin app.  This gives me a Plan B if everything goes south.  Overall, I have faith in Evernote even though I'm still a little perplexed at how they could have thought that their new version would replace the legacy one.  I've read all of their statements and I understand their thinking and the logic behind it.  I also understand that perhaps power users such as myself and many people on this forum are not as important as the potential business from other users.  However, it reminds me of the time that I Rock and Roll radio station that I used to listen to (with thousands of others) decided one day to become a Country Western station instead because their data was telling them it was a more popular demographic.  Needless to say they lost their entire fan base and were not able to replace it with the prospective new base.  Perhaps I'm wrong and that my exacting standards for Evernote are "overkill" but it seems strange to suddenly take away so many features in the name of simplifying across platforms.  My hope is that even if it takes them a year to sort all of this out, that we are allowed to keep the legacy version until the new version becomes something that even power users can accept.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, jdmarch said:

For the record, my initial impression of 10.6.9 on Mac is that the performance is much improved. No long waits yet (much less freezes).

Time will tell. Still not updating my Windows (primary Evernote) machine.

It does appear a bit quicker. Thumbnails show up faster and the note gets loaded faster although the latter depends on the connection I imagine.  Without an internet connection, loading the note still takes forever (literally.) I can't use it if requires a connection to access my previous notes. It looks very nice and I even tried creating a new entry. I had to quit and go back to v6.25.1 as I couldn't create the new note. I hate having to constantly search for the key combination to do basic tasks. Ctrl-Backspace? Give me a break! And how do I insert the date/time in my system format "2021-01-18 23:45"? Ctrl-Alt-D won't do it.

I can't resist the urge to jump in and complain once again. Joined Evernote 2010, I am a Premium member. I am limping along with Legacy on my mostly Mac computers. I say limping along because I am forced to use the new edition of Evernote when I need to drag and drop out of ScanSnap Home software. It won't work with Evernote Legacy and defaults to and opens Evernote 10.

I get the pleasure of waiting FOREVER to move a file from my scanner to Evernote... unless I create a folder, drag and drop from ScanSnap home to it and then drag and drop from that folder to Evernote Legacy. Believe it or not, that is incredibly  quicker than waiting on Evernote 10. Oh what sheer Joy. Note that this is not the Evernote Edition Scanner but a Fujitsu scanner nonetheless. I am posting here because it is the lag that is the problem. Moving files remains sooooooo sloooooowwwww. 

Hi @celia80302 For what it's worth, I have  scansnap set to dump files into Evernote directly via the cloud (so no drag-drop needed), which has continued to work with legacy. (This scanner was originally Evernote Edition but a year or two ago when EN dropped it, Fujitsu issued a firmware replacement patch, so it now has been converted to a standard Fujitsu ScanSnap.) Now that I think if it, this workflow might depend on the scanner having Wifi capabilities, which mine does.

You are right but... I like to rename the PDFs' and look for the most efficient way to do it. I also use notebooks and need to distribute the notes to various notebooks. It is super easy in Scansnap Home to rename them and drop them in their respective notebooks-except no more.  Scanning directly to Evernote Legacy ScanSnap Manager, cloud dump. if you will,  results in that weird glitch in which the renamed PDF reverts back to its former name if the sync isn't "Just so"... Thanks so much for the reply. I guess patience is king in these trying days.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Depends on how much load you will put on the system, and on what sort of machine you execute it.

For me it works sufficiently well - for a lack of some features in v10 I still stick with legacy.

You can run both clients side by side.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Can someone tell me if the current version of Evernote is reasonably fast and responsive or if I should stick with the legacy version for a while longer?

Keep using Legacy if you need performance and the features of Legacy.
v10 is good to play with, but I find it sluggish on most of my machines.  I even dumped out 30,000 notes and brought my database down to just short of 50,000 notes - still sluggish - most of my machines are Windows with i7 processors on 8 to 16gb ram and loads of SSD space.  

I keep asking if there is anything I can do to help Evernote test performance gains, but don't hear anything back. 

v10 is "usable", but performance is a far cry from the Legacy experience - for me anyway - and a lot of others.   If you use v10, keep in mind you need enough drive space free on your machine - your ENTIRE Evernote database will download in addition to the drive space Legacy uses for EN data.  Yes - two copies of EN data will be on your machine. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Can someone tell me if the current version of Evernote is reasonably fast and responsive or if I should stick with the legacy version for a while longer?

I am trying to use V10 for work and it really is not working out. Even for personal use, the speed (lack of) is really bothersome but since it is personal notes and I mess with them at night or on the weekend, I can be more flexible. But at work, I need the data, reference materials and the search function to be fast and responsive. So 6.25 it is !

With every update, I hope it is faster and way better but it is not even close to the previous version which is becoming more concerning to me for the future of my use of Evernote.

If you value speed and get frustrated with super slow computers or apps, stick to legacy. :) 

• Like 3

Not sure if I understand the logic of putting the "Notebook" selection on the top but the tag selection on the bottom. In Legacy Evernote when I adjudicate a note I usually assign tags to it and then select which notebook I want to put it in.  That has all happened on the top of the note where the tag and notebook features lie side by side.  In the new version they are separated by an entire page.  I literally have to select one thing on the top and then the next thing on the bottom.  Seems counterintuitive.  Am I the only person bothered by this?

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, idoc said:

Not sure if I understand the logic of putting the "Notebook" selection on the top but the tag selection on the bottom. In Legacy Evernote when I adjudicate a note I usually assign tags to it and then select which notebook I want to put it in.  That has all happened on the top of the note where the tag and notebook features lie side by side.  In the new version they are separated by an entire page.  I literally have to select one thing on the top and then the next thing on the bottom.  Seems counterintuitive.  Am I the only person bothered by this?

Nope.  Aargh!!!

• Haha 1
On 1/28/2021 at 1:01 PM, TK0047 said:

With every update, I hope it is faster and way better but it is not even close to the previous version which is becoming more concerning to me for the future of my use of Evernote.

If you value speed and get frustrated with super slow computers or apps, stick to legacy. :) 

That's too bad. I basically just need to be able to type quickly and it's weird and sad that Evernote does not offer that experience.

Maybe when V11 or V12 comes out, Evernote will be fast again.

17 minutes ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

I basically just need to be able to type quickly and it's weird and sad that Evernote does not offer that experience.

Yeah, right? When a note-taking app can't take notes, does it really matter that it has an "awesome" "home" screen?

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Simple actions - tagging 10 notes, moving notes between folders now takes many minutes to complete, and consumes huge amount of resources. Even typing out text involves considerable lags.

I am actively considering alternatives.

If my database is simply too large (~4.5 GB), then I need an effective system to determine where the dead weight is.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Patrick584966382 said:

Simple actions - tagging 10 notes, moving notes between folders now takes many minutes to complete, and consumes huge amount of resources. Even typing out text involves considerable lags.

I am actively considering alternatives.

If my database is simply too large (~4.5 GB), then I need an effective system to determine where the dead weight is.

I don't think you are alone with the speed issue. 

Best alternative I've seen to date in the market is the old version.  I'm waiting it out on 6.25.1 until this V10 thing gets sorted or not.  If not, I'll see how V10 compares to the market at that time.

• Like 2

I've been using Evernote for roughly  15 years, and while there have been changes that I liked and changes that I didn't, I've never seen anything like this pervasive collapse of functionality. 

Does anyone here know whether the Evernote team is even aware of these performance issues? If they are living in an alternate universe with tiny little test demo databases, they may be happily going on in adding cute fluffy kittens to their feature grid while the foundation rots under their feet.

• Like 5
18 hours ago, Patrick584966382 said:

Even typing out text involves considerable lags.

This is driving me crazy! Although there has been significant speed improvement compared to the initial release but still the lag with the typing is still there and I don't think that is acceptable with a "note taking" app.

If they cannot get the lag and the speed/performance under control, all the nice things being added (such as the home screen, dark mode etc.) will mean nothing. It is like my car has heated leather seats and can make coffee for me on the way to work but only goes 5mph. Give me the fundamental function first, then make my coffee :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 1/28/2021 at 9:31 PM, idoc said:

Yes - reported even as far back as the beta version.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel somewhat overwhelmed with the number of posts on this issue of lagging/hanging since my latest upgrade to 10.7.6 (2321) as it is clearly a big issue and I am not the only person frustrated out of my mind.

I have allowed myself to become totally reliant on Evernote for both work and personal use and there is nothing worse than when you are dictating important conversations with a client and the stupid thing decides to hang.

And then you have to quickly open Notepad instead to frantically take note of what was said and missed out half of this important conversation. You can't keep saying to client (esp. same one) to please hold whilst you try to resolve Evernote. At present this system is becoming more of a liability than an asset. 

I am a Plus user with a very decent machine (Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD) with decent internet (100Mbps) yet, struggle like this.

I really need an urgent fix or work-around and lack of support is terribly frustrating.

Regards

• Like 1

@Robert Blomstrand The choices Evernote made have consequences.. The foundation the new Evernote is build on will always be slower than the legacy versions. Maybe the stability will be fixed over time, but the application is new so it comes with bugs... and because Evernote needs (wants) to expand the features due to the competition (that's the priority at this moment, see release notes) the stability will suffer... that's guaranteed. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Robert Blomstrand said:

I really need an urgent fix or work-around and lack of support is terribly frustrating.

Reinstall and use the old version until EN gets this sorted.  I am using 6.25 on Windows until this gets better or am forced to move. 

6 hours ago, ArjenC said:

The foundation the new Evernote is build on will always be slower than the legacy versions.

I can accept (to a certain degree) the slower app when switching between notes, or notebooks but when the typing has a lag, that is not acceptable to me. It is a note taking app and I need to be able to type away. Same with tagging, I should be able to tag quickly, instead I type the tag, wait for it, hit enter....wait for it to show up then type the next tag.

I am really hoping the typing lag will go away, I don't think I can live with that though.

• Like 6
10 hours ago, ArjenC said:

@Robert Blomstrand The choices Evernote made have consequences.. The foundation the new Evernote is build on will always be slower than the legacy versions.

How do you know that the new Evernote apps will always be slower than the legacy versions?

10 hours ago, ArjenC said:

@Robert Blomstrand Evernote needs (wants) to expand the features due to the competition (that's the priority at this moment, see release notes) the stability will suffer... that's guaranteed. 

On the one hand, @IanSmall recently said the opposite of this. On the other hand, every Evernote CEO and many other employees have been promising and failing to fix these issues for well over a decade. Let's hope this time truly is different.

image.thumb.png.c9c37713cd37152ccec9ee941ee24532.png

Are they keeping that promise?

Let's see.

image.thumb.png.31db86d668bb0a6de2e148003ae499a5.png

I think we have the answer.

Evernote does not appear to have changed. There are still people there working on embedding YouTube videos instead of making the typing experience tolerable. Employees are still adding features like a home screen instead of ensuring that the program overall isn't a huge resource hog. Evernote is pouring resources into dynamic links with Google Drive files instead of preventing system hang.

The list of new and non-core features is consistently large while core performance issues remain largely unchanged.

From the outside, it still feels like Evernote is focusing on the car's leather interiors and stereo system while the brakes and steering don't work.

Can someone please correct my cynicism if it's out of line? Have there been enormous improvements to the core UX of the new apps that I'm not aware of?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5*
13 minutes ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

From the outside, it still feels like Evernote is focusing on the car's leather interiors and stereo system while the brakes and steering don't work.

I am seeing serious problems with the Version 10 product    
but I know Evernote is rolling out fixes (slowly)

It's a question of priorities    
It seems users consider their issues to be higher priority, and Evernote should fix them first; as per your "brakes and steering"    
I'm content with letting Evernote set priorities

I'll continue to use the Legacy product until I'm satisfied with Version 10

• Level 5

The new clients are build on a framework. This means

• User to app interaction is handled by the EN app
  • App to OS interaction is handled by the framework

In terms of computer performance this will usually ever run slower / consume more resources than native apps. It is like a web site running in a browser window. I think that the excessive use of CPU and RAM reported here is a malfunction, but even when this got fixed, the new client will not be as lean as before.

In terms of company performance this design sets dev resources free to add features and gadgets to the app. Since the changing OSes are handled by the framework, own resources can be spared. If you look at the not even half a year since the first v10 client has been released, you have seen a rollout of a new update every month or so, plus the first really new features added since years.

Compared to this the „old“ native clients had practically reached their end of life, running on too much old code. Even maintenance was stalling, new features were out of reach.

If v10 is the way to the future remains to be seen - the old clients had definitely become a cul de sac.

9 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

How do you know that the new Evernote apps will always be slower than the legacy versions?

The new version is build upon the Electron framework, this (an any other framework) will be slower than applications build in native code (for example C++ or C#). But over time (years) devices will be faster, but for now it will be slower (always)...

9 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

On the one hand, @IanSmall recently said the opposite of this. On the other hand, every Evernote CEO and many other employees have been promising and failing to fix these issues for well over a decade. Let's hope this time truly is different.

I know and as CEO he must believe in his product and team. But in all honesty.... he should be mad as **** that this is the state of the product... I can only guess what went wrong, but product wasn't ready for production and even today it is the current release.

When it was clear that data loss and corruption occurred all red flag signals should pop-up. Stop the migration, analyze what is wrong and try to fix the damage (trust).
Start real customer communication and maybe advice to roll-back... 

This was the reason for me to leave after years and years the best note-taking app. Never doubted Evernote with my data, always relied on the professionality and quality of the Evernote decisions. Was I wrong? Apparently I was... don't know what happened, maybe due to competitors like notion that Evernote decide to change they product...we don't know... but v10 in current state isn't the best application out there. 

Hope that in the coming months things will turn for the better... 😀

• Like 5
On 2/15/2021 at 10:28 PM, DTLow said:

I'll continue to use the Legacy product until I'm satisfied with Version 10

I wish they had a legacy version for iOS as well, sluggish like v10, crashes continuosly.

• Like 1

iOS is Apple’s mobile application for iPhone and iPad. Mac computers use the Mac OS software. The wish was for a  Legacy for the now sluggish iOS mobile apps on the iPad and iPhone.

The Mac version of Evernote 10 is also a huge problem for anyone desiring speed, efficiency, and reliability.

Sadly, whomever told you Mac software runs smoothly was incorrect.

On 2/16/2021 at 8:57 AM, ArjenC said:

Hope that in the coming months things will turn for the better... 😀

Unfortunately, this may be a false hope. If you extrapolate what happened during last year, future of EvN doesn't look bright. It's seems that the current team, especially CEO will be unable to deliver something better than this crappy "fast/junk food" version anytime soon.

Therefore this month is my last month as an active/premium EvN user. it's time to say good bye after almost ten years.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

There is no "Best".

It all depends on your use cases, which platforms you want covered etc.

With that "best"-question you will get the usual suspects - nothing more than a Google search would deliver as well. Be more specific if you want real advise.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, celia80302 said:

What would you consider the best replacement for Evernote? 

My 2cents:

For note taking: try workflowy. This is a simple (an therefore complex) tool to help you get your notes / ideas ect.. out of your brain. But you must try it for a couple of hours/days to know if it is something you like....

For Webclipping: Notion. Joplin, Onenote

For Data/ File / Document storage: Cloud base storage (onedrive, google drive, dropbox). Look for HIPAA certified if secure cloud storage is important for you.

If you want a Evernote (one stop shop) but then made by some other company: Onenote, Joplin, Obsidian

(or look at Roam.. but I didn't test it my self)

----

Because of the V10 Evernote release I felt the need to rethink my workflow and tools to be productive. 
I've switched and after adepting I can say that Evernote V10 was a game changer, but not as I  had predicted.

More productivity, less irritation. I use more tools, Yes,  but sometimes more is more... I now use tools that best fits me and my workflow. In the past Evernote "dictated" what I could and couldn't do due to missing features, but I didn't need to change... didn't feel the need...

So in the end, for me, V10 was the best update in years 😁.
(but the last period I wasn't happy with the changes made)

Good luck with finding your best fit setup. Try out new stuff, use it for a couple of days because you need to learn and reprogram yourself.... And know that Evernote application is just a tool to help you, and not the other way around....

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions-and sorry I wasn't more clear. I use Evernote for the bulk of my organizational needs and for record keeping for both business and personal use (quite a lot of web clipping too). I have two Premium Accounts. My workflow is mostly filing and renaming scans and organizing them into notebooks for future use/reference.

For my business, I create training tutorials that are shared in Evernote that include audio and video. We organize social media for the business in Evernote, keeping notebooks at hand that contain core information for pasting to the web site, social media, printers, etc. It has been a great thing up until the new version to have Evernote where "the rubber meets the road", so to speak.

I use Dropbox for some overlapping record keeping and also for sharing with people more familiar with its interface. Adobe Creative Cloud has its own little niche, too.

Evernote spoiled me. Having the ability to search all my notes in the granular way that they provide is not available on the other products I use. To do so very quickly, and then to lose that feature, a key component to my complaints. Lag time is a real bother for me. For those who haven't been using Evernote for very long and not knowing what it was like "before" may think it is fine.

Dragging, dropping, filing, creating hash tags all very quickly within prior versions has kept me very organized and given me noticeably more free time.

So, to replace the tasks and storage needs that Evernote has provided me for so long, I guess I am looking for the thing that the other services I listed don't provide. I will have a hard look at Joplin. Others have mentioned it as well. And, I think you are wise in suggesting spending some time with it. 

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, celia80302 said:

So, to replace the tasks and storage needs that Evernote has provided me for so long, I guess I am looking for the thing that the other services I listed don't provide. I will have a hard look at Joplin. Others have mentioned it as well. And, I think you are wise in suggesting spending some time with it. 

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Nimbus Note has a similar look and feel to EN.  It's search and shortcut/saved search capability falls far short of EN though.  Search works but is not as easy to use.  I think the product is based upon the same tech as V10 and is much faster than V10, though not as fast as Legendary EN.  Nimbus also supports local notebooks.

IAC I am still holding out for an improved V11 of EN.  Fingers crossed anyway so as to avoid the work of moving all my stuff.

Have just installed the Legacy app. trying to reorganize the notebooks and with 30 sec for each note times 3000 notes its just not going to work.

If there is no improvement I will have to find a different solution all in all.

To bad have used Evernote for 11 years

2 hours ago, Jonas2265 said:

Have just installed the Legacy app. trying to reorganize the notebooks and with 30 sec for each note times 3000 notes its just not going to work.

If there is no improvement I will have to find a different solution all in all.

To bad have used Evernote for 11 years

How are you having issues with Legacy?
I've got 50,000 notes and it runs fine (Windows).
Be sure to close the v10 app before moving large numbers of notes & notebooks around and ensure Legacy is fully sync'd to your computer (it might take a few minutes/hour even to download your 3000 notes). 

7 hours ago, ej8899 said:

How are you having issues with Legacy?
I've got 50,000 notes and it runs fine (Windows).
Be sure to close the v10 app before moving large numbers of notes & notebooks around and ensure Legacy is fully sync'd to your computer (it might take a few minutes/hour even to download your 3000 notes). 

Sorry, realize my post was not 100% clear. I had to install Legacy to manage this. No issues with Legacy but with the latest version

• Like 2

As a paid subscriber since 2012 and daily plan and data repository user of Evernote, I’m extremely frustrated Ian chose to go after “fluff” instead of maintaining a trustworthy tool.   “Power user” I’m not, but have thousands of notes in their currently incapable hands.  

If I execute a simple saved search based on tags, alter a note to remove a tag that is required in the search, and return to the saved search results...the note is still there in the search results.  Okay, maybe I have to re-execute the search...no, several execution of the search retains the note even though it no longer meets the search criteria.   In what altered universe is that considered acceptable for even the most basic database?   Mind boggling!

• Like 5

I've been a premium subscriber for 10+ years.  The windows app performance has been awful for some time, not just the current release.  I have notes with multiple pdf's in them and Evernote has to be relaunched multiple times to add new pdf's.

Is there something I can change to alleviate the problem?

On 3/6/2021 at 9:41 AM, harrd0517 said:

I've been a premium subscriber for 10+ years.  The windows app performance has been awful for some time, not just the current release.  I have notes with multiple pdf's in them and Evernote has to be relaunched multiple times to add new pdf's.

Is there something I can change to alleviate the problem?

Most of my notes have multiple pdfs since that is part of my workflow. However, I do not have to "relaunch" Evernote as you mentioned.  I routinely add new pdf's to my notes on an almost daily basis.  Of course, I am referring to the legacy version or to the one just before legacy.  If you having so many problems with pdfs it may be due to something else.

On 3/6/2021 at 11:41 AM, harrd0517 said:

The windows app performance has been awful for some time, not just the current release. 

Right, nobody is claiming any new problems with the current release in particular. It's the entire re-engineered 10.x series that is broken. The reason for the rising frustration is that we have been willing to cut them some slack for a few weeks or even months while they work out kinks with new technology, preferably keeping the community informed. But now, 5 or more months after the release of 10.x, fundamental problems remain with absolutely no acknowledgement or plan for improvement on the part of the company. Hence the rising tide of disillusionment, and the widespread suggestion to return to the legacy version 6.25 until either the company makes a radical change to fix the breakage (not just adding more and more fluff), or one finds an alternative. The tradeoff, and specification for an acceptable alternative, will vary for different users.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jdmarch said:

Right, nobody is claiming any new problems with the current release in particular. It's the entire re-engineered 10.x series that is broken. The reason for the rising frustration is that we have been willing to cut them some slack for a few weeks or even months while they work out kinks with new technology, preferably keeping the community informed. But now, 5 or more months after the release of 10.x, fundamental problems remain with absolutely no acknowledgement or plan for improvement on the part of the company. Hence the rising tide of disillusionment, and the widespread suggestion to return to the legacy version 6.25 until either the company makes a radical change to fix the breakage (not just adding more and more fluff), or one finds an alternative. The tradeoff, and specification for an acceptable alternative, will vary for different users.

If they just let me use the legacy version I would be perfectly happy.  In the past I have gone 8 years or more using outdated versions of Word for Windows, Quicken, Quickbooks, Win7 etc without a single issue or problem (even after the version had sunsetted years earlier).  So, even if they never spruce up Legacy again it's perfectly adequate for my needs going forward.  Of course, my main concern is that they remove the ability to use Legacy.  Of course, this is far more likely than with the desktop apps that I previously mentioned that were  independent of any online interactions.  

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 7:12 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

I'm using this thread to centralize posts regarding app performance issues.

This will help me better track your issues. I'll be looking to merge threads that fit the description into this one.

Thanks Shane

The editor freezes often, any time, and it takes it up to half a minute or even more to turn back responsive again.

- opening external links

- opening a pdf

- after pasting an image or whatever

- when fixing a misspelled word, because the editor tries to show the list of proposed correct terms even if you don't want it to do it.

So I'm in the middle of a critical meeting, must open a pdf or reach a link, or edit a misspelling or change from one note to another and EN freezes and I must make everyone in the meeting to wait for me to reqch or check any important data

The memory and CPU consumption is hughe (well over 30% CPU and 1.5 GB, for a data base with around 7800 notes at this very moment. I can't tell but I'd say this didn't happen with the first releases of EN 10.x. In any event, it didn't occur with pre-10.x versions.

IMHO it could be due to syncing. We should be able to configure syncing as we did in pre-10x versiones, so that we can work fast enough when required.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

It has been a couple of months since I asked, so I'll ask again: Are Evernote 10's core functions working yet? That is, does the basic experience (opening notes, typing, copy/paste, moving notes, saving data, etc.) just work yet? Or is still better to stick with Legacy?

In my opinion, I am definitely not happy with the core functionality even though using latest version. I still struggle with significant lag/hanging at times and this is way too essential for efficient use of the tool. It has driven me nuts a number of times when I am typing critical notes in a meeting, and suddenly Evernote goes walk-about and I have to urgently start up and revert to notepad to miss as little of what is being said as possible.

I have even started opening Evernote and notepad simultaneously when in meeting in case I have to take above action.

A typical example of the issue is when right-clicking (then pauses for a number of seconds).

I have given up on waiting and I am voting with my feet. I simply don't see why I should give Evernote Corporation more time. This thread is almost 7 months old.

Been with Evernote for 12 years now but Nimbus Notes has been a breath of fresh air. Faultless transfer of notes, responsive support (they have immediately fixed one issue i reported) and the editor is far better than Evernote. Performance is okay for me.

My Premium trial is about to end and I am satisfied that it is a much better product and that the functionality can work for me. I will be cancelling the Evernote subscription immediately and subscribing to NN. The Evernote mobile app has already been deleted and replaced.

Well done Evernote. You took a perfectly good product and made it unusable to most people. But thanks for showing me the way forward.

-paul

• Like 2

I am facing a consistent problem with the speed of the app. First i thought that's a problem with my laptop but even after doing what i can to make it as fast as i can, i was forced to look answers on the net. And here i am. 

So i am asking the EVERNOTE people to look into this speed thing very seriously as it is becoming counter productive with the app's motive to free its user from remembering things and finding the things fast.

4 hours ago, maheshsharma121 said:

So i am asking the EVERNOTE people

They don't ever comment here; no sign that they are interested in our feedback. I have been using Evernote for at least 15 years and am very discouraged.

2 hours ago, jdmarch said:

They don't ever comment here; no sign that they are interested in our feedback.

50% correct. But the 50% you are correct with, is 100% spot on.

See post 8 in this thread for a response from @Shane D.. I have only now just realised that he marked this thread as solved on the day it was opened. Disgraceful. So much for using this thread to centralise posts regarding performance issues.

-paul

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Paul Warwicker said:

he marked this thread as solved on the day it was opened.

To give him the benefit of the doubt, this may have been just a technique to pin his comment so that others would see it more readily. Though that would not justify the lack of any other acknowledgement of the feedback here.

• Like 1

Hmm. Sounds like only disappointed people are posting. Either Evernote 10 is still a sluggish resource hog... or maybe only people with that experience are responding.

So I'll put out a request for any other point of view: Does anyone believe that the ultra basic features of Evernote 10 (e.g. typing) JUST WORK? Or does literally everyone - from users to customers, Evernote janitor to Evernote CEO - everyone - believe Evernote 10 has not reached that bar?

It's difficult to try this over and over. I did it twice but found that since it wipes out ALL the existing data it's too expensive to reload every time. I have only cellular connections I tether my tablet to (S7+) so downloading a few GB of offline data is bloody expensive. I will use v8.13 until my subscriptions to Premium both run out and then switch to something else. And yes, the "basic" functions are unusable in the v10.?? I tried a month or so ago. Lost 3.7GB of notes testing that one.

Evernote Premium client since Jan 2012.

Happy user of a smoothly working and joyful to use Win10 client for years.

With the new version, just a pain every single day, close to being unusable, what a regression, totally frustrated.

Started to move to an alternative. Taking the effort seems to be a better investment, than the waste of time and pain to use every single day. It is better to make a painful break than draw out the agony.

Thank you for the wonderful years, Evernote. I had been a proud, pleased and recommending user. But our joint journey seems to have reached its end.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Hmm. Sounds like only disappointed people are posting. Either Evernote 10 is still a sluggish resource hog... or maybe only people with that experience are responding.

So I'll put out a request for any other point of view: Does anyone believe that the ultra basic features of Evernote 10 (e.g. typing) JUST WORK? Or does literally everyone - from users to customers, Evernote janitor to Evernote CEO - everyone - believe Evernote 10 has not reached that bar?

If you want to just type or look for a note then there is no reason why EN10 would not be a fine option.  The problem is that right now it's almost useless for anything else.  For example, many of us used EN to store screen shots, documents, pdf's, spreadsheets etc.  This is probably one of the most fundamental features of an app like Evernote.  Unfortunately, with no ability to sync on the fly, you really have no idea of what has been copied over.  This and this alone has made it unusable for me.  However, just for kicks I tried to see how it would be like if I didn't care about this functionality.  Even then I still found it unacceptably sluggish and clunky.  The good news is that EN legacy is working OK and this is the only reasonable option right now.

I've pretty well resigned myself to EN Legacy. It works, and I'm happy with it. I'm using Nimbus in parallel and it seems like a good backup plan if the brilliant minds that guide EN decide to mothball Legacy. I'm hoping some day they wake up, but at this rate, they're moving towards snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Like 1

I tried Nimbus when they first started up. Was no competition to EN back then and I felt uneasy sending my money, not to mention my data, off to Russia. They may have a Cleveland office now but they were Russian then. Even after I cancelled my subscription  they went ahead and kept billing me. Had to cancel my card to stop the charges to it.

56 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

I tried Nimbus when they first started up. Was no competition to EN back then and I felt uneasy sending my money, not to mention my data, off to Russia. They may have a Cleveland office now but they were Russian then. Even after I cancelled my subscription  they went ahead and kept billing me. Had to cancel my card to stop the charges to it.

Ok, good to know. Still evaluating, but I'll definitely factor this in. It seems pretty robust in its parallels to EN, but haven't worked it hard yet. As far as sending my data to Russia.....If they really want it, they can probably just buy it from China....hehehe

And the Chinese Premier will order Trudeau to send whatever he can dig up as well. I think the only way Nimbus avoided a copyright suit was their location. It was an exact duplicate of EN at that time.

• Like 1

I'm currently loading my stuff on a lesser used tablet using EN10. I don't care if that is slow and I will be using it for read-only access. I tried it elsewhere a few times and hat to revert to older versions.

• Level 5*

I used a backup to test V10 Windows desktop.  Painfully slow, click heavy, missing features all added up to switching back to 6.25.1 in 30 minutes.  V10 has a ways to go to be competitive. 

Same goes for IOS iPad.  Slow and confusing as to what/when syncing occurs.  IOS iPhone is fairly usable for lookups and the like once you grasp the convoluted search method now in place.  Weird the response times vary with the two IOS platforms.

• Like 1

I think it comes down to business. They may lose a few thousand old-timers who can't stand the slow response but they may get a few million newcomers who don't know it's slow simply because they never saw the faster versions. So those of us who kept them afloat for years are expendable. I've got about half my stuff converted to Joplin via cut/paste (it has direct import but I don't need everything) and have 4 months left on one of my Premium accounts. Lots of time to finish the migration.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, CalS said:

I used a backup to test V10 Windows desktop.  Painfully slow, click heavy, missing features all added up to switching back to 6.25.1 in 30 minutes.  V10 has a ways to go to be competitive. 

Same goes for IOS iPad.  Slow and confusing as to what/when syncing occurs.  IOS iPhone is fairly usable for lookups and the like once you grasp the convoluted search method now in place.  Weird the response times vary with the two IOS platforms.

This is terrible.

I'm most shocked by how you can't tell what has and hasn't synced. Is there actually nothing as simple as a green check mark or "saved to cloud" message or something like that to indicate to the user that data has been stored? How are users supposed to know, ever, when any data is saved?

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

This is terrible.

I'm most shocked by how you can't tell what has and hasn't synced. Is there actually nothing as simple as a green check mark or "saved to cloud" message or something like that to indicate to the user that data has been stored? How are users supposed to know, ever, when any data is saved?

There are check marks on the IOS devices though I found the iPad version to be confusing.  Sometimes the check mark would be green even though the note had synced.  Relative to Windows there is a message that the note has been updated.  But since search results lag the update sometimes it causes one to second guess.  My brief stint with V10 on Windows anyway.

Maybe it is in sync, and maybe it is not. That's just part of the fun and adventure EN is trying to give us. I've found on Android that even though you tell it to make the notebook available offline, and it confirms that it is available, the notes themselves may or may not be completely available. I can see a few perfectly when online but only partially if offline. Thumbnail behavior has changed as well. The thumbnail seems to be set to the first image in the note when it is first synced. It can't be changed after that. Nice for some, not too nice for others.

Windows desktop version: 10.10.5-win-ddl-public (2487)

Editor: v120.1.15587

Service: v1.31.4

When I return to Evernote desktop from a different window, it is completely unresponsive for at least one minute...

What are the developers doing that's making it lag so badly? 

It's annoying enough that they keep moving the buttons around for no reason at all, and I guess the new home page might be useful for some people, even though I never use it, but what else did you do that makes it run slower than a super memory heavy browser session??

And before anyone blames my RAM, I've got 32 GBs of RAM, and every other window is running swimmingly

I've found that as long as I reboot my system every 15 minutes or so I can keep the lag down to 20 seconds when switching notes. Without a reboot EN just stops responding after a while and will never recover without rebooting. It's on a test system and will never move to a real.machine until it is stable. Like next decade perhaps 

7 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

I've found that as long as I reboot my system every 15 minutes or so I can keep the lag down to 20 seconds when switching notes. Without a reboot EN just stops responding after a while and will never recover without rebooting. It's on a test system and will never move to a real.machine until it is stable. Like next decade perhaps 

Rebooting your entire computer every 15 minutes to cut the lag time when switching notes down to 20 seconds?  This is so absurd that I can't even tell if it's sarcastic or not.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, HumbleAmbition said:

When I return to Evernote desktop from a different window, it is completely unresponsive for at least one minute...

Do you think you could make a video of this, post it here, and also describe your hardware? Maybe watching that super long lag time in the video will get enough attention at Evernote to divert some resources away from rearranging home screen buttons and towards basic performance improvements.

On 4/7/2021 at 4:37 AM, OrbWeaver said:

Thumbnail behavior has changed as well. The thumbnail seems to be set to the first image in the note when it is first synced. It can't be changed after that. Nice for some, not too nice for others.

I am having this same issue. I want to be able to change the thumbnail to be more representative of the content of the note.

It's strange seeing notes with thumbnail images when the notes no longer have any attached images. I used to depend on the thumbnail changing so a quick glance at my tablet would tell me if I had synced recently. Used one as a sort of a picture of the day and changed it when necessary. 

• 3 weeks later...

the pen responsiveness on the Windows version is quite poor. I thought this update was supposed to resolve this issue. I dont know if this is also an issue for Mac, but i have a feeling it isn't

I have just downloaded the old version of Evernote 6.25.2.9198 (309198) Public (CE Build ce-62.6.10954) because the new one was so slow as make it impossible to work fluently.

Hope this helps me. I just wanted to suggest to make it faster.

I've stopped updating. The updates don't address any of the existing problems like sluggish response or missing core functions. Rather, they promote new stuff that is just as sluggish if not more so. Updates also uninstall my 6.25 version every time and while the data remains safe. I have to reinstall. Not worth the effort. The Android version won't even install on my Samsung tablet so that, along with a few other devices, will not be getting the updates. My Win 7 system, the workhorse, won't run the new version and I wonder what will happen to those older boxes. Is Evernote just going to tell them to get lost?

8 minutes ago, t87699 said:

How do you install legacy on your Android?

thanks

Only via 3rd party services. Evernote doesn't deliver older APK files for your Android device. So beware of this not official solution, you could get in to trouble when installing not official apps delivered by official companies.. 

You need a copy of the 8.3 (or earlier) APK file. I have always backed up applications  and archived older versions in case of bad updates. That practice certainly proved useful with Evernote .

My desktop (Windows 10) app just updated, but now when I click on the app to open it, it doesn't let me view any of my work, it just has the logo appearing with a circling line, and a bunch of repetitive sentences about the newest version.

I can access the "Help" menu (The menus appear at the top, but most of the dropdown options are disabled.) to get the version number and "About" info, but that's about it:

10.9.10-win-ddl-public (2439)
Editor: v119.1.15375
Service: v1.30.2
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Task manager shows nothing being strained (32 GB RAM, SSD is mostly empty, 10th Gen i5)

20210503EvernoteWontOpenProperly.jpg

Evernote Legacy does not seem to function the same way as Evernote 6.25.  At my workplace I installed the newest version of EN and immediately uninstalled it.  In the process I deleted the 6.25 version but then reinstalled it under its new name, "Legacy".   However, Legacy never worked the same as what I had previously had.  In fact, at home I use EN 6.25 and it is working great.  However, the "legacy" version at work is constantly hanging.  Anything I do initiates the "not responding" message for at least a minute or more.  It's not that it doesn't work, but it takes 3-5 times longer compared to the version I use at home.  Is there any way of getting rid of this "legacy" version and using the one that I use at home?

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, idoc said:

Evernote Legacy does not seem to function the same way as Evernote 6.25.  At my workplace I installed the newest version of EN and immediately uninstalled it.  In the process I deleted the 6.25 version but then reinstalled it under its new name, "Legacy".   However, Legacy never worked the same as what I had previously had.  In fact, at home I use EN 6.25 and it is working great.  However, the "legacy" version at work is constantly hanging.  Anything I do initiates the "not responding" message for at least a minute or more.  It's not that it doesn't work, but it takes 3-5 times longer compared to the version I use at home.  Is there any way of getting rid of this "legacy" version and using the one that I use at home?

6.25.1 is the last version pre V10.  "Legacy" is 6.25.2, it has some tweaks in it though not sure what they are.  You can find 6.25.1 here on the filehippo site.

2 hours ago, CalS said:

6.25.1 is the last version pre V10.  "Legacy" is 6.25.2, it has some tweaks in it though not sure what they are.  You can find 6.25.1 here on the filehippo site.

Just wondering if my experience is unique ie: are people having much more difficulties with 6.25.2 compared to 6.25.1?  For me it's night and day difference even though I'm using the exact same operating system.

6.25.1 was working fine and is still working. Never tried the 'Legacy' version. After seeing the v10 I lost trust in their updates and decided to stick with what worked. I have it running alongside v10 on a lesser used system but have no plans to actually use the v10.  It's just there to remind me that Evernote is coming to an end and I'd better get my migration done.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, idoc said:

Just wondering if my experience is unique ie: are people having much more difficulties with 6.25.2 compared to 6.25.1?  For me it's night and day difference even though I'm using the exact same operating system.

Never tried 6.25.2.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Does the new Version (10.13) for Windows just work yet?

Some will say yes and others will say no.  Best to download it and try it out yourself.

27 minutes ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

Does the new Version (10.13) for Windows just work yet?

I was one of the ones that criticized the V10 a lot but I must admit it came a long way from what it was.

The speed was the biggest issue for me, although it is not as fast as the V6 (legacy) version, it is now manageable so I started using it fully as I figured I would have to do it at some point. 

Everybody uses Evernote in a different way, certain features are important to some users and some users could not care less about those same features. So as S2sailor suggest, best to download and try it out yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Depends on what you mean by just working.

There are enough use cases fully supported - others depending on features not yet supported, or permanently removed will now or for the future not work.

In comparison the v10 client uses more system resources than the prior version, and lives from a stable internet connection. Depending on your setup, you will notice, or you won’t. I am running it on a 9 year old i7 HP desktop (plus on a Mac plus on iOS devices), and regard it as „working“ (more than „just“).

Go and find out … installing another client doesn’t cost more than a little time to set it up. Legacy is still around if v10 does not do the job.

• Like 1

Unfortunately for me, I need the Android version as well and the V10 there does not work. Notes, when it finally starts,  are missing, notes are duplicated and I even found one that was in two notebooks at the same time. Not a copy, but the exact same note. Notebook A had the note as did notebook B. I changed the note in notebook A and the one in notebook B was changed as well.  I had to scrap V10. Too worried it was going to do bad things to my notes. I tried to make the notebooks offline and it locked my tablet. Had to power off and back on to clear it. Uninstalled. Won:t be going back to it. Moving elsewhere.

26 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

Unfortunately for me, I need the Android version as well and the V10 there does not work. Notes, when it finally starts,  are missing, notes are duplicated and I even found one that was in two notebooks at the same time. Not a copy, but the exact same note. Notebook A had the note as did notebook B. I changed the note in notebook A and the one in notebook B was changed as well.  I had to scrap V10. Too worried it was going to do bad things to my notes. I tried to make the notebooks offline and it locked my tablet. Had to power off and back on to clear it. Uninstalled. Won:t be going back to it. Moving elsewhere.

Oh man! I am bummed to hear this, but not at all surprised.

I disabled auto-updates on my Samsung Note 10+ quite a while back when I saw the utterly abysmal reviews for V10 on Google Play Store. I mean it was really ugly in there. 

Windows v10 app having left a mark on me initially, I didn't want to lose my right arm (read: functioning Android EN app which I rely on so heavily). So disabling auto-updates was my hack to keep moving forward and still use Windows V10 when it was ready enough.

Been using Windows V10for several weeks now. Not looking back.

However, I did have to do one thing in Legacy v6.25 today, which was print a note. Last time I tried printing a note it was a complete fail. Literally. Basically a blank page.

That's my State of the EN Techno Union at this point, for whatever that's worth to someone out there.

I have had 2 Premium accounts for years. When I first saw the V10 I was overjoyed. For about a day. Then after a few weeks of hoping it was just a bad dream I realized they were serious and this was no practical joke. Both accounts are now cancelled, one expired last month, the other in a few months. Been migrating away and am almost done. Perhaps in 5 years I may look back at EN but it's useless to me now so I have to move on.

23 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

Been migrating away and am almost done. Perhaps in 5 years I may look back at EN but it's useless to me now so I have to move on.

I've remained on legacy v6.25 for Windows, and am waiting for the skies to clear, and the birds to sing before I upgrade to v10.  But so far I have found the web client excellent, and latest Android app really good, except a little slower perhaps, notwithstanding I rarely use EN on those platforms.

But to your comment... Over the past days, I have been studying and building my Task Management system now in 'Notion'. My plan is to use Notion for all Goals/Projects/Workflows/Task Management etc... so it will be my central Hub.  EN will then serve as my Knowledge Management System/glorified Filing Cabinet, as for now the EN interface is cleaner, the web clipper clips better, better search function etc... but I think the day may come that if Notion closes the gap in these areas I too could jump ship. 

And to @hanseric comment re Playstore feedback... yeah when I look at feedback since 7 months ago, back to v10 launch in Oct 2020 on MS-Store, PlayStore, Appstore etc... 98% of all the feedback is 1-star. Combine this with so many premium users, that have never posted on this forum, chiming in for the first time, compelled by woeful v10 experience & issues, well... So I wonder if @Ian Small will indeed "sell more EN  subs in the 12 months to Oct 2021, than they did in the previous 5-years" because that type of community feedback does nothing to sell the product to new first time users considering EN.

• Like 2

I elected to go with Joplin so I could sync with my own WebDaV server. No more subscriptions and the data stays on my hardware (Synology NAS) where it can remain private. I never liked the idea of having my data stored on Google servers. I predict that within a year Google will buy EN at a rock-bottom price, slip a new privacy policy past people who don't read those things, and gobble up all those notes as advertising fodder  Or maybe not. Either way, my stuff won't be there 

• Like 1