App Performance Issues: Slowness/Poor Responsiveness/Lag

Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

On 10/23/2023 at 11:02 AM, Mike Dundee said:

I was force to update to newest version some days ago, stating the old version will be unusable.

It's a warning from my point of view. Old version is usable so far - but might get problems anytime in future (maybe by stopping sync possibilities...) 😞

On 10/23/2023 at 11:02 AM, Mike Dundee said:

Problem I experience every day

Give the new version a chance to sync all your data. Unfortunately this process cannot be tracked life. It may take hours or days until all data is mirrored locally to your disk (if you use Mac or Windows). After this is done, delays will go away...

[quote]I was force to update to newest version some days ago, stating the old version will be unusable.[/quote]Ditto - but about 2-3 weeks ago. I have not had the issues you mention (knock on wood).

My main concerns are:

- version updates are now automatic. I'm not a fan of this with any app/program. I prefer to wait a while and see how the new code functions.

- there is no manual sync. This is mostly from my long history with EN and getting conflicting notes (and the time-consuming issues of sorting them out)

Overall, the functionality has been very good. Sometimes when I switch from Windows to iPhone, there will be a lag in getting the iPhone up to date but generally things are going in the right direction. I hope everything continues in this direction.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, RL7836 said:

- version updates are now automatic. I'm not a fan of this with any app/program. I prefer to wait a while and see how the new code functions.

- there is no manual sync. This is mostly from my long history with EN and getting conflicting notes (and the time-consuming issues of sorting them out)

A couple of thoughts on these points: In my experience, when a new version is made available there will be a notification in the left pane, which you can ignore for as long as you want. But if you restart Evernote or reboot the computer, then the update will indeed install automatically.

There is a way to force a sync by pressing Ctrl+R. For me, this rarely accomplishes anything. Syncs now are generally very rapid, and note conflicts very rare, at least in my experience (which involves a consistently strong Internet connection). For a fun demonstration, open the same note in Windows and the iPhone and edit on both at once.

In the old days, Evernote pushed out one, maybe two minor releases a year (with some small bug fixes after the release) -- if that? It made sense then to wait a bit -- kind of like we do now for minor/major OS feature updates. I also like to wait a bit for the kinks to be worked out before performing these updates.

However, now we are on the continuous deployment train -- the same as a lot of other software apps these days -- where releases are pushed out every other week. It's a newer paradigm in app software development -- release early, release often.

Since that is the case, it doesn't make as much sense to hold on to an older release as there are scores of older version -- not just one or two. Realistically, you'll never be able to hang onto an older release and check out the stability of the new releases because they are just coming too fast and the majority of people will always be on one of the newest releases. That's just the way it it.

But it's also a mixed bag. We see (mostly minor) bugs released from time to time that you just have to work around, but we also fortunately see them get fixed in just a few weeks. Unless you are manually installing the latest version the same day it is available, the devs should have enough time to fix any breaking changes before they propagate to us automatically.

Syncing is much improved with the new real-time editing (RTE) / syncing infrastructure. I think some kinks are still being worked out, but it works pretty great for me.

This RTE sync is also a different way of working with things where it's an "online" first mentality now. This obsoletes the practical use of a manual sync button.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 10/24/2023 at 3:10 PM, boggo said:

So is evernote broken now? I haven't been able to use it for years. All it does is make my PC fans spin really fast.

I having the same problem.  It's super frustrating.  With the update in the last couple of weeks, Evernote Windows Desktop app won't even function on my main PC and my PC won't even function if Evernote is spinning.  SO FRUSTRATING.  I could include lots of error log details but I don't have time to spend an hour or more compiling all of that Error and performance failure log information for troubleshooting Evernote desktop right now. :(

Please fix this Windows Desktop Evernote Performance issue, that got really bad at about version 10.68.1.  I normally use Evernote every day to create notes, but now it's not even usable because it can take about 10 minutes just to generate a new blank note.

On 12/28/2023 at 12:41 AM, Dan Cox said:

Please fix this Windows Desktop Evernote Performance issue, that got really bad at about version 10.68.1.  I normally use Evernote every day to create notes, but now it's not even usable because it can take about 10 minutes just to generate a new blank note.

Interesting (& sad) to hear. Thankfully, I don't have these issues and (knock-on-wood), EN has been functioning very well on windows with the new versions coming out every other week or so. Hopefully you (&/or EN) can figure out what's wrong because I don't want to even think about moving to another program.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I having the same problem.  It's super frustrating.  With the update in the last couple of weeks, Evernote Windows Desktop app won't even function on my main PC and my PC won't even function if Evernote is spinning.  SO FRUSTRATING.  I could include lots of error log details but I don't have time to spend an hour or more compiling all of that Error and performance failure log information for troubleshooting Evernote desktop right now. :(

Welcome to the forums. It's other users here, not Evernote tech support. Since most of us don't seem to be experiencing this, you may be having a local issue such as a corrupted database. The usual advice is to completely uninstall Evernote (people recommend Revo Uninstaller as much more effective than standard Windows uninstall), then re-install it and let it rebuild the database (which can take some time if it's large).

I noticed this with that update too, but especially on the Remote Desktop we use. It was ok on the Remote Desktop before too but after the update it became so slow and is still pretty bad. Not sure why since the app on local is still working fine.

I also have a co-worker that uses the online version, he mentioned the same to me that it is not usable for him right now after the updates.

I did a brand new install too which did not improve unfortunately.

Their latest blog posts mentioned something about working on making it faster and reliable etc. hopefully I will see those effects soon. 

• Level 5

What was described in the post by @Dan Cox is usually a sign of a corrupted local database.

Easy enough to resolve: Log out, quit the app. Now use Revo Uninstaller (PC) or AppCleaner (Mac) to erase the whole installation. Restart the computer. Go to evernote.com and download the latest release. Install, log in.

It will now draws a fresh copy from the cloud server. This takes a while, let the app run in the background. While it downloads, it will feel less snappy, because occasionally it needs to load  some content from the server.

Hint: The regular OS uninstaller will not remove settings and database, and is worthless in this situation.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I don't know if hardware acceleration problems were mentioned in this topic, but if not, here is a link to another topic where we talk about a big slowdown problem with acceleration hardware activated, which cannot be disabled in the latest versions because the option is missing:

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Evernote 10.75.2 eats my CPU doing nothing. Forcing restart doesn't help. Typing in the app results in 50% chance of not entering any text. Inserting a file causes app freeze. 32GB RAM, 12gen i7. Am I happy? Not, because in current state app is NOT USABLE.

image.png.25b3aba9184718a986f7086bc44ad93d.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You have read the thread a little, before posting ?

For example my post from the 4th of January ?

No ? Then it's time to come back to it now. At least if you want this:

OK, it is not one of this heating units Intel calls a chip, but an Apple M2 Max. But still, most high CPU events are caused by a corrupted local database that forces the CPU to run in loops. Simple to fix, if you want it fixed.

This is on idle, when I use it it goes up somewhat.

image.thumb.png.c3a0def76802fe2018f6e4f5b315983f.png

57 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You have read the thread a little, before posting ?

For example my post from the 4th of January ?

Issue solved by forcefully uninstalling Evernote installed from Microsoft Windows store and installing version 10.76.2 downloaded from Evernote website. I assume issue was caused by crippled way Microsoft updates apps via its store. Looks like cache wasn't corrupted, problem was only with Windows store app version of Evernote.

Sorry for rage posting. All works fine now:

image.png.6aee604978c9b9609fc5286e1003c084.png

• 1 month later...

Just updated to 10.80.3 and it literally killed performance on Windows. It now takes 5-15-45 seconds for text to appear when editing my 48,074-word long note (and the whole Evernote UI is frozen in the meantime). I'm used to working with notes this large (and much larger) in Evernote on a daily basis and never had any performance issues. Now it's unironically literally unusable.

Also updated to 10.80.3 on my Macbook and it's not as bad, but the lag is still noticeable (1-2 seconds). Prior to this update there was no delay when typing whatsoever.

Uninstall/reinstall makes no difference, I guess the HW acceleration option isn't available anymore, so going through threads to see if I can find any other solutions.

Update: It seems this is caused by formatting, since a new note with 50k words of dummy text doesn't exhibit this behavior, but even after trimming my current note (that has headers, bullet lists, highlights etc.) down to under ~20k words it still causes lag and stutter.

Update 2: Downgrading to 10.79.3 immediately fixed the issue. Will have to stick to .79 for now while I'm waiting for support's reply.

Edited by affectski
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

@affectski, I've seen someone else with a note that has a lot of (now collapsible) bullet lists report the exact same phenomenon. The collapsibility seems to be causing it. Don't know if it's a "bug" or just poor implementation (if there's a difference), but probably worth reporting to support: https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@affectski, I've seen someone else with a note that has a lot of (now collapsible) bullet lists report the exact same phenomenon. The collapsibility seems to be causing it. Don't know if it's a "bug" or just poor implementation (if there's a difference), but probably worth reporting to support: https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action.

Ohh, I didn't even realize all multi-level bullet lists are now collapsible by default! Thanks for pointing it out - this has to be what's causing the lag since I have a ton of these kinds of lists in my notes (none of which I ever needed to be collapsible but now they are).

• Level 5
21 hours ago, affectski said:

Ohh, I didn't even realize all multi-level bullet lists are now collapsible by default! Thanks for pointing it out - this has to be what's causing the lag since I have a ton of these kinds of lists in my notes (none of which I ever needed to be collapsible but now they are).

Yes, this was just introduced. It's a long-desired feature, but seems to come with a price. Here's the other note where it's reported, in a thread on the collapsible lists:

• Like 2

After update it to 10.80.3-win-ddl-public (20240314162820) notes that are big (~5MB) is freezing the Evernote and/or having a huge delay to edit them :( 

Please, how can I downgrade for a version that works?

4 minutes ago, mdbs99 said:

After update it to 10.80.3-win-ddl-public (20240314162820) notes that are big (~5MB) is freezing the Evernote and/or having a huge delay to edit them :( 

Please, how can I downgrade for a version that works?

I had to uninstall Evernote, then download and install 10.79.3 manually (you can find it online) and prevent it from auto-updating by setting AppData/local/evernote-client-updater folder permissions to read-only.

Not ideal, but 10.80.3 is very much unusable for me and I haven't yet heard back from support so have to stay with .79.

• Like 1
On 1/4/2024 at 8:21 PM, PinkElephant said:

What was described in the post by @Dan Cox is usually a sign of a corrupted local database.

Easy enough to resolve: Log out, quit the app. Now use Revo Uninstaller (PC) or AppCleaner (Mac) to erase the whole installation. Restart the computer. Go to evernote.com and download the latest release. Install, log in.

It will now draws a fresh copy from the cloud server. This takes a while, let the app run in the background. While it downloads, it will feel less snappy, because occasionally it needs to load  some content from the server.

Hint: The regular OS uninstaller will not remove settings and database, and is worthless in this situation.

Just to confirm PinkElephant's solution I was having the same problem of EN using 100% of CPU time and slowing everything else down. I used Revo Uninstaller to remove everything and then reinstalled EN from their website. First time I uninstalled I used the 'standard' search and did not delete absolutely everything and it did not work (seemed to be some things in the list that did not appear to connected to EN so I 'unticked' them before deleting). Second time I used the 'advanced' search and selected all to remove. Reinstalled EN and no further problems!

Thank you PinkElephant for your invaluable help!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 3/18/2024 at 2:42 PM, weborican said:

I'm having the same issues with my notes that contain a large number of bulleted items 🙁

Having the same issue as well.  Thinking I may just need to start new notes with no bullets and merge the versions if Evernote is able to correct this issue.

Just out of interest; why does EN show 9 processes working on v10.80.3-win-ddl-public and taking up about 528 MB of CPU.  Except for google chrome (which takes up 1800MB) this is the highest.

image.png.88812422ed9b8dd8124022cbac3a3ec9.png

• Level 5

Sure, EN v10 IS a Chrome(ium) browser engine, without a front end. The Electron framework used to embed the app on the host computer uses the Open Source Chromium as platform.

The good is that the app devs can focus on the apps functionality. The framework takes care of the interaction with the OS. It makes it far easier to have an app working the same cross platform.

The bad is that all OS interactions need to be coded (thus no scripting), and the intermediate layer uses resources for its own purposes.

There are plenty of apps these days that use frameworks. Electron is one of the most widely used. Similar to Chrome it works in many ways more like a Virtual Machine than an application.

19 hours ago, Heidi Turley said:

Having the same issue as well.  Thinking I may just need to start new notes with no bullets and merge the versions if Evernote is able to correct this issue.

I can confirm that I've had the same problem since the last update. At the moment I write all the text without thinking about it and then I wait several seconds for the text to appear, but I hope this will be fixed as bullet points are very useful for organising information.

A significant feature like expandable bullets should always have an option in settings to turn it completely off. Especially if it penalizes users with lots of bullets, we can't go back and edit hundreds of notes to remove bullets now. I hate it when they force features like this on users. I don't want or need this, but now apparently my notes are insanely slow because I use a lot of nested bullets. I'll try the full Revo uninstall/reinstall again, but I don't think it's a corrupted database this time, I think it's spinning on all the bullets in most of my notes.

Like many users, I also use bullet lists. I have not noticed any issues in the two days since EN auto-updated to the new version.

Roughly how many bullets in a note does it take to have noticeable slowing occur?

12 horas atrás, RL7836 disse:

Like many users, I also use bullet lists. I have not noticed any issues in the two days since EN auto-updated to the new version.

Roughly how many bullets in a note does it take to have noticeable slowing occur?

The slowing occur only in big size notes, such ~5MB or more.

I'm asking myself when they will fix this... this is a bug that is impacting many users.

• Level 5

You know that 5 MB of plain text is the equivalent of more than 1.000 pages when printed ?

This IMHO hardly passes as „note“ taking any more. If you want to write a novel, better use apps like Scrivener or Ulysses designed for this task.

Sorry if I don't conform to your idea of what a note should be.

Evernote's product specs clearly say "200 MB max. note size". Notes should not be unusable at less than 5% of that advertised size.

Notes aren't plain text. There is a lot of overhead. I just created a note with 1000 characters and the note info says 2 KB - 10 words - 1,000 characters. 2KB for 1000 characters, that's ~100% overhead. The note below has 2MB for 87K characters, that's 22X the size in overhead!

I'm seeing severe typing performance issues on a note that's 2 MB - 15,622 words - 87,627 characters. It has a lot of bullets. No images, just formatting. This one is horrible now for typing, large delays.

I had no typing performance issues until the most recent update(s). Something has clearly changed for the worst. I really suspect the expandable bullets with larger notes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5

Very likely it is the expandable bullets.

Many users wanted the expandable / collapsible sections ... it seems they come for a price.

I disagree however about the size penalty. I just build a note by copying a longer wikipedia text as plain text into a note. Note information says it`s 186.451 characters and 199KB.

That is practically no penalty at all, each character takes up a single byte.

Probably there is another mechanism at work: EN keeps a note history for every note. Changes are kept there, which allows to go back to earlier versions.

This will force the note to grow its overhead data, to store these changes. If a note is altered a lot, note history will probably become significant.

• Like 2
On 3/18/2024 at 12:42 PM, weborican said:

I'm having the same issues with my notes that contain a large number of bulleted items 🙁

I'm having the same issue. My desktop app keep freezing when I open my my larger notes (133mb) that are all in bullet point format. Everything was working fine in terms of load time until this last update🤬

• Like 2
23 horas atrás, PinkElephant disse:

You know that 5 MB of plain text is the equivalent of more than 1.000 pages when printed ?

This IMHO hardly passes as „note“ taking any more. If you want to write a novel, better use apps like Scrivener or Ulysses designed for this task.

In my case, it is more than 5MB (in one note that I am testing) because there are files/images attached to it. Only text it is not too much...

Anyway, this note is like a "log" to me and has been working for years, until this last update.

As long as this new feature causes performance problems, EN should offer a possibility to disable it (at all or better: enable/disable it for specific notes).

In my case there is no problem with the display speed (moderate size of notes on a speedy maschine 😉). But I miss accelerator buttons to open/close list items. 

• Like 3

Been a long time user of EN. Loved the legacy version and finally updated. It was working ok but now has been very slow since the latest patch.

There's significant input lag for many of my notes. If I type something, it takes at least 1-2 seconds for the text to appear. Is this happening for anyone else? Any possible fixes?

• Level 5

It depends how long your „finally updated“ is ago. The app will build the local database during the first days, which causes it to run slower. Further the download may not yet be complete.

You should keep the app running in the background, to allow it to complete organizing things.

If you have a lot of bulleted lists, it may be this is slowing down things. Headers (that didn’t exist in legacy) and bulleted lists are collapsible now. It seems this causes an additional lag. Hope it will be optimized with the next releases.

Same here. For example a text-only note (58 KB - 6,177 words - 31,490 characters) with extensive bullet points is getting close to unusable for typing. Maybe 1 second delay for each new letter of text. I broke this up from a prior larger note with even longer delays. The same note on my iPad has zero delay so in principle it's possible to have a note of this complexity respond quickly in some contexts.

• Like 2
On 1/4/2024 at 12:21 PM, PinkElephant said:

For the record, I followed Pink's instructions regarding Revo uninstall and it was a surprisingly fast and easy process.  In fact, I was amazed when I started to see all of my notes within a few minute of installing the new program.  Many people have pointed out that even after doing this and seeing all of your notes there is a lag time of possibly a few days before it's functioning at its maximal capacity.  In my case, I felt that within a few hours it felt as fast as it ever was.

I actually recently reinstalled after removing the entire installation using an app cleaner as well. I've seen no improvements. The application is running so slowly now that I don't even have the note text rendered for several seconds after scrolling - I have completely blank space until the app can catch up. 

This may be limited to my Intel chip mac i9 2019. My M1 Air was fine when I used it a few days ago, but it may not have had the update yet. 

17 horas atrás, AlbertR disse:

As long as this new feature causes performance problems, EN should offer a possibility to disable it (at all or better: enable/disable it for specific notes).

[...]

I fully agree.

I still don't understand how no DEV saw this bug — doing a simple test, editing some note — and, more importantly, why it hasn't been fixed yet.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Tcellguy said:

using an app cleaner

Which one?  I think it's important to use the app that @PinkElephant has recommended, if not in this thread, in numerous others.  Other apps don't seem to give as reliable results in removing and reinstalling local databases.   But the problem may also have something to do with collapsable bullets, so the best approach may be to wait a few days and see if an update becomes available to fix it.  But, disclaimer - I'm not a mac guy, so I'm just passing along what I've seen in other threads.

Vinnie

I'm having the issue on Windows 10, since I updated 4 days ago to Evernote 10.80.3-win-ddl-public (20240314162820), Editor: v177.8.2, Service: v1.96.2 , I'm having 2 to 3 seconds keyboarding lags when adding to some longer existing notes. Typing in new notes does not lag, so my workaround to adding to existing notes is to create a new note for data entry and then cut and paste to the existing note. This needs to be fixed soon. EverNote is one of my primary tools for my daily work.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

If you haven’t already, please submit a support request.

I did submit a support request after I posted the above, but it's a good reminder. Thanks.

• Like 1
1 hora atrás, RussP41 disse:

I'm having the issue on Windows 10, since I updated 4 days ago to Evernote 10.80.3-win-ddl-public (20240314162820), Editor: v177.8.2, Service: v1.96.2 , I'm having 2 to 3 seconds keyboarding lags when adding to some longer existing notes. Typing in new notes does not lag, so my workaround to adding to existing notes is to create a new note for data entry and then cut and paste to the existing note. This needs to be fixed soon. EverNote is one of my primary tools for my daily work.

"Welcome to the club" :(

46 minutos atrás, s2sailor disse:

If you haven’t already, please submit a support request.

I thought that they read here, no? Anyway, I'm pretty sure that more than one thousand have already written this bug to the support.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, mdbs99 said:

I thought that they read here, no? Anyway, I'm pretty sure that more than one thousand have already written this bug to the support.

No, don’t count on it.  This is primarily a users forum.  The other thousand may have thought the same thing.  More support requests help to show the severity of a problem.

• Like 3
12 horas atrás, s2sailor disse:

No, don’t count on it.  This is primarily a users forum.  The other thousand may have thought the same thing.  More support requests help to show the severity of a problem.

You are right. I have installed the newer version 10.81.4-win-ddl-public (20240320152323) today and the issue has not fixed yet!

Just updated again and the issue is still there. Extremely slow but only in notes with multiple bullet point lists. I wish we could turn off the embedded lists feature. Thanks for the tips, I just submitted a support request as well on this item. I think the more people who submit, the better. 

• Like 1
11 horas atrás, soresu disse:

Just updated again and the issue is still there. Extremely slow but only in notes with multiple bullet point lists. I wish we could turn off the embedded lists feature. Thanks for the tips, I just submitted a support request as well on this item. I think the more people who submit, the better. 

Where should I submit it too? (I think I never sent it...)

If already exists a thread, I would like to continue in there. Thanks.

7 hours ago, mdbs99 said:

If already exists a thread, I would like to continue in there. Thanks.

This is not a support forum. AFAIK there are no Evernote-monitored threads anywhere.

See @RussP41's post just now for submitting a support request to Evernote.

• Like 1
On 3/16/2024 at 12:50 PM, affectski said:

Just updated to 10.80.3 and it literally killed performance on Windows. It now takes 5-15-45 seconds for text to appear when editing my 48,074-word long note (and the whole Evernote UI is frozen in the meantime). I'm used to working with notes this large (and much larger) in Evernote on a daily basis and never had any performance issues. Now it's unironically literally unusable.

Also updated to 10.80.3 on my Macbook and it's not as bad, but the lag is still noticeable (1-2 seconds). Prior to this update there was no delay when typing whatsoever.

Uninstall/reinstall makes no difference, I guess the HW acceleration option isn't available anymore, so going through threads to see if I can find any other solutions.

Update: It seems this is caused by formatting, since a new note with 50k words of dummy text doesn't exhibit this behavior, but even after trimming my current note (that has headers, bullet lists, highlights etc.) down to under ~20k words it still causes lag and stutter.

Update 2: Downgrading to 10.79.3 immediately fixed the issue. Will have to stick to .79 for now while I'm waiting for support's reply.

Thanks for sharing.

I would love to downgrade to 10.79.3 until they fix the collapsible bullets issue, but how did you do it ? Where did you find the old release ? Did you fully purge database and other local files before reinstalling ?

1 hour ago, vschachter said:

Thanks for sharing.

I would love to downgrade to 10.79.3 until they fix the collapsible bullets issue, but how did you do it ? Where did you find the old release ? Did you fully purge database and other local files before reinstalling ?

Searched on Google, found a few websites that store older EN versions. Uninstalled 10.80.3 via EN's default uninstaller, installed 10.79.3, worked fine.

3 hours ago, affectski said:

Searched on Google, found a few websites that store older EN versions. Uninstalled 10.80.3 via EN's default uninstaller, installed 10.79.3, worked fine.

Thanks a lot !

Thank you for the tips. I've also uninstalled and reverted to version 10.79.3. All of the lag is gone. I do think everything is related to the bulleted lists

To @mdbs99, @RussP41, @Vitaliy Grinchuk and any others that submitted a ticket recently to support, I would like you hear about your support experience. I'm sure they were polite and followed the script. My question is, in the case of bugs or lets call them features that do not work they way the "should", do you think oppening a ticket made any difference?

I ask because for a long time EN support had the infamous banner "Support is overwhelmed. Please be patient" (or words to that effect) all over the discussion and support pages. This notice started IIRC during 2020 or 21 re COVID-19 and was there as recently as a month ago. That banner to me meant, don't bother us with anything more complicated than account recovery, we won't be able to help. That banner stayed up far too long, and I lost faith in EN support.

It was only a week or so ago that I noticed the banner is no longer there. So I'm wondering, has the support experience improved recently? I am trying to decide if I should give them another chance reporting bugs or asking for clarification or offering feedback about how a feature is supposed to function. I don't really care about how quickly they respond. I care about if I submit a detailed ticket with screen shots and a sanitized activity log, will they engage with that in any meaningful way or just give me some canned response.

Edited by John in Michigan USA
added "and a sanitized activity log"

@John in Michigan USA I got a canned reply (see below). In my ticket submission, I provided a link to this forum thread. I had done all that they suggested in the things to try below, and I felt my description with the forum link was enough if they really wanted to look at it. I did not send an activity log, so likely that's the reason I haven't heard anything more. Maybe I should take one for the team and take the time to do that. Anyway, here's the initial email I received:

Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out and for flagging up this issue.

We're sorry to hear about the inconvenience you've been facing and we'd be pleased to help you out. Before proceeding with further investigations, we suggest carrying out the following steps, as they'll help us better isolate the issue and rule out any of the following root causes. If you have already followed them, feel free to give them another try.

• The Operating system requirements for Evernote have been updated recently. Please check the article to see if your device is still compatible.
  • Make sure you’re using a strong Internet connection, possibly trying to switch from cellular to Wi-Fi and vice-versa or switching to a different network
  • Restart your device. A simple restart can fix some errors.
  • If you are using Evernote Web, make sure is browser is updated, relaunch your browser and try to switch to a different one. We also suggest to clear the browser's cache.
  • Make sure the app is updated to its very latest version. Here’s how to check for updates and download the latest available version.
  • Sign out and sign back into your Evernote account.
  • If you're receiving a "Client not supported, please upgrade" error when attempting to log in, please make sure to update your Evernote app version.

Should you still be facing the same after performing the above steps, please send us the following details:

• Detailed description of the issue, possibly including a screenshot or a screen recording of it
  • Platforms on which you're experiencing the issue (Mac, Windows, Evernote Web, iOS, or Android)
  • Activity logs

Please note that without the above details we won't be able to assist you further.

We remain at your disposal in the meantime.

Kind regards,

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, RussP41 said:

my description with the forum link was enough if they really wanted to look at it. I did not send an activity log

Assuming your forum link made clear to anyone following it why an activity log wasn't relevant, or that you didn't want to attach an activity log to the forum post but you'd provide one to support if asked...assuming that, it is entirely reasonable for you to assume no human was involved in this canned response and that, if you responded to the canned response with an activity log they still won't follow your link or do any other real support such as escalating it to devs.

If someone else wants to make the case that I should give support another chance, now's your time!

Em 01/04/2024 at 05:59, John in Michigan USA disse:

To @mdbs99, @RussP41, @Vitaliy Grinchuk and any others that submitted a ticket recently to support, I would like you hear about your support experience. I'm sure they were polite and followed the script. My question is, in the case of bugs or lets call them features that do not work they way the "should", do you think oppening a ticket made any difference?

The first response was automatic and generic. The ticket said I should respond with more information.
My answer was:
Detailed description: everything was explained in the ticket. And I am pretty sure (as others) that the problem is related to the new collapse/uncollapse bullet list feature.
Platforms on which you're experiencing the issue: Windows
Activity logs: you do not need. Just fix the bullet list feature, please.

15 horas atrás, RussP41 disse:

@John in Michigan USA I got a canned reply (see below). In my ticket submission, I provided a link to this forum thread. [...]

Yes, I did the same.

7 hours ago, mdbs99 said:

The first response was automatic and generic. The ticket said I should respond with more information.
My answer was:
Detailed description: everything was explained in the ticket. And I am pretty sure (as others) that the problem is related to the new collapse/uncollapse bullet list feature.
Platforms on which you're experiencing the issue: Windows
Activity logs: you do not need. Just fix the bullet list feature, please.

If anyone wants to really make sure that an overtaxed support department truly understands the issue, here's my suggestion:

Create a dummy note with generic text and lots of bullets / sections, make sure there are sufficient collapsible sections to have truly awful performance. Share it publicly, then send the link to support. It will immediately be very clear to them.

• Like 3

I just installed version 10.83.4 with claims to "Fixed a performance issue when typing in large notes"

https://evernote.com/release-notes

Although it does reduce the latency on large notes with many bulleted items, it doesn't completely eliminate it. I would say it is "adequate" for now, but I would like to see a "better" fix implemented in a future version.

• Like 2

I have refrained from asking this question but since there are so many posts on this issue I suspect that I am not understanding it.  What is the big deal with these "bulleted items".  I have been using EN for a decade and have never even used a bullet.  I usually use other methods to demarcate that seem just as good.  Is the problem with the bullets or with the new software that allows you to collapse the text under the bullets?   Although I don't use bullets I was quite enthusiastic about collapsible sections since it would fit nicely into my workflow.  However, I will refrain from doing so if it causes lag or other issues. It's hard to get too excited about any flaw in the program because updates are happening so often these days that one literally expects that any perceived issue today will be fixed before you need to adjust your workflow.  This is in direct contradistinction to how it used to be when updates were very infrequent and you knew you would be stuck with the problem for 6 months or more.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, idoc said:

Although I don't use bullets I was quite enthusiastic about collapsible sections since it would fit nicely into my workflow.  However, I will refrain from doing so if it causes lag or other issues.

I would suggest giving it a try.  10.83.4 is out and the fix notes states that performance is improved.  If it wasn't for others in the forum drawing attention to the problem initially, I would never have noticed it.  I use a lot of bullets but my notes don't tend to be that long.

Also for those bothered by the AI edit popup, that appears to be removed in 10.83.4 as well.  It is now only a menu item.

Edit - I spoke too soon.  It is still there :(

• Like 2
22 hours ago, idoc said:

What is the big deal with these "bulleted items". 

I'm used to use such lists since ever - most often to explain technical topics.

22 hours ago, idoc said:

Is the problem with the bullets or with the new software that allows you to collapse the text under the bullets?

Yep. It's implemented with scripting inside EN's text editor - and not with <details><summary>...</summary></details> directly in HTML (which would work very fast 😉)

After having seen 10.83.4 with an update on the problem, I reworked  my https://tinyurl.com/missing-in-EN10 to use collapsable sections (headers and bulleted list) as a test medium.

Unfortunately you cannot see collapsable lists in this publicly shared version of the note (collapsing is not supported there 😞). But if you import this note to your account, you can see (and play) with collapsable items within EN...

Well, crossed my fingers and let Evernote update to today's 10.83.5, since the release notes include "Fixed a performance issue when typing in large notes."

And.. so far I am not seeing the performance issues I was experiencing before on my large notes with lots of bullets. Characters are showing up immediately on typing, with no delays or short freezes.

We'll see if this is the fix and it continues working well. Hope so, I like some of the other new 10.8x.xx things.

And super happy the silly AI helper thing seems to be gone. Or at least hidden somewhere I haven't found it yet.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Zzyzx said:

Well, crossed my fingers and let Evernote update to today's 10.83.5, since the release notes include "Fixed a performance issue when typing in large notes."

And.. so far I am not seeing the performance issues I was experiencing before on my large notes with lots of bullets. Characters are showing up immediately on typing, with no delays or short freezes.

We'll see if this is the fix and it continues working well. Hope so, I like some of the other new 10.8x.xx things.

And super happy the silly AI helper thing seems to be gone. Or at least hidden somewhere I haven't found it yet.

Thanks for your feedback.
Is there a way to force the application to update? I have version 10.82.2 (Windows) and when I go to the Help menu to check for updates, the application tells me that 10.82.2 is the latest version.
Or maybe the updates aren't deployed everywhere at the same time?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, khal said:

Is there a way to force the application to update?

Download it directly from the Evernote website.  The latest will be there.

• Like 1