[Version 10.3] Ability to disable spell checking

mimimimimi
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Idea

Hi,

I can't seem to be able to disable the red squiggly underline under my typing n the desktop app. I already tried disabling Windows' own spell checking, no effect, so it seems to be built into Evernote. I can't find any kind of drop-down menu with settings that would help me to turn this annoying feature off. Is it possible to do so?

• Like 5

54 replies to this idea

• Administrator
  • Solution

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I've modified the title of this thread to better reflect the request.

You can find the Mac equivalent of this request here:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Level 5*
25 minutes ago, Austin G said:

We are working on a fix for this! thank you for your patience. 

Always like to know if it is a fix to something broken or an add back for something dropped.  Transparency and all that for customers.

On 10/8/2020 at 7:29 PM, Austin G said:

I do not understand how this spell checking problems (by the way since this post from Austin G persisting the last two bug fix updates) could pass ANY quality control. Is there nobody at Evernote aware of bi- or multilingual people out there in the world? 

• Like 3

Hello, any update for windows on this annoying issue?

On 10/21/2020 at 11:53 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I've modified the title of this thread to better reflect the request.

Shane, you mistakenly flagged this post as " Solved". See the many complaints below. 

Could you please re-open this. Many international users like me would much appreciate it if you could do anything to prioritize this issue. Spell checking has been a well-known nuisance for a long time and needs to be adressed.

Thanks!

Hi everybody,

After the Evernote for Windows last update, the app has begun to check my spelling. I want to disable this function, but can't find how. Anybody has the answer?

Thanks!

• Like 3

I have the same problem. Basically, I am unable to read all my notes because they are in a different language than my operating system and the spellcheck marks all words as incorrect. Unfortunately, it seems that the spellcheck function is not a part of Evernote anymore. How one can overlook such an important issue in a beta test is really beyond me.

• Like 4

EN 10.1 still does spell checking. This is also a problem when users are writing in multiple languages, like in coding when English is combined with the native language. So, I would really suggest an option of disabling it, instead of making it to show when the written language is different from the OS language. 

A quick search on the forum shows this issue keeps popping up since 2015. It seems to be a major distraction to the workflow of many users.

Could you please make sure it's clear to Evernote staff that many multilingual users simply want to disable the spell checker ? From experience I can add that this also includes many professionals who use domain specific jargon or source-code fragments in their text.

Many thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, average_user said:

Could you please make sure it's clear to Evernote staff that many multilingual users simply want to disable the spell checker ?

Fully concur but this still would be only a second best solution. In the year 2020, it should be an absolute no-brainer that a professional software with a considerable subscription fee has the ability not only to turn the spellchecker on/off, but also to check syntax and grammar in multiple languages. Most freeware is able to do this. It is really ridiculous that users have to ask for this "feature".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I'm sorry to add a post to this thread without contributing anything helpful, but since I installed the new Evernote for Windows today this spellchecker just drives me crazy! For me as a (German) author, editor, abbrevation-user and word-inventor this feature is a painful nuisance! My peaceful and calming lists which helped me to get through my daily tasks in these not so easy times have changed into a super busy cluttered surface! And why? Just because a feature which every other app I'm using is able to disable can't be disabled in Evernote. 😠

Why can't we even tell the program, that YES, this red underlined term is right - we can just choose another word that was not meant. This is incredibly unfunctional!!

Please just give us the option to tick that off, Evernote! Or, if you don't want to, tell us, so I can leave you and search for another software for my notes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just installed the new Evernote App for Windows (10.1.7) and a spellchecker red-underlines almost every word in my notes. I'm french and I write mostly in English which makes the problem worse I guess. This completely ruins the experience for me, making my many notes close to being unreadable. I am an Evernote Premium user , I work on Evernote every day and I'm very disappointed. There was no spellcheck on the previous version and I wish I could simply disable it.

I tried to disable the Windows spellchecker but it doesn't change anything on Evernote. I read on Reddit that other people experience the same problem, please correct it or help us remove the spellchecker.

• Like 1

I cannot understand how product management can keep this in the wild. It must be easy to disable spell checking until problem is solved. 2 weeks since then...

On 10/23/2020 at 9:11 AM, Victorvk said:

Can I get back to the older version of Evernote?

Sure, you can and should use the legacy version of the application if version 10 hasn't developed well enough for you.  Both work, both can be installed at the same time.  I don't have the download link to hand but a search in the forums should find one of the many posts which answers this question.

I just installed Evernote Legacy, thanks for the link!

I understand the reasoning of the dev team. Using the built-in Windows spellchecker saves maintenance. I think you can change the language of the spell checker by installing language packs and enabling multi-language support in the Windows settings. However: there is a major bug somewhere; turning off spell-check in Windows has no effect on Evernote! This is a killer for many people, as not everybody types plain text in Evernote. For example: code.

Another tip is to use the web interface. There, spell-check can be disabled.

• Like 3

Adding that I also have the problem. I'm taking notes on programming, cyebr security and networking terms, the majority of which are NOT in the dictionary. Vendor names. Partner names etc.

My documents and notes are now filled with squiggly lines. This is my first week using Evernote and it's likely to prevent me adopting Evernote or considering Premium if it's missing such basic functionality.

• Like 1

After upgrading to 10.1.7 on OS X 10.13.6, I also now have the same problem with not being able to switch off the spelling checker. I write a lot of technical and non-English notes, which means my notes are now full of unrecognized words the spelling checker underlines as errors. I have disabled the OS X spelling checker from System Preferences, but that has no effect in Evernote. I hope Evernote developers do more testing before publishing app updates in the future.

• Like 2

Same problem for me. My notes are trilingual most of the time (German living in Portugal, writing lots of English stuff). I try to give my notes a clear structure to be able to read them fast. With the spellchecker on they look like a bloodbath and are difficult to read. 

And with EN 10.3.6 EN still ignores users feedback and did not add disabling of spell checking...

Assuming the speed basic functionality is added back to the electron app we have to sit for a further year or two to just see a supported client with same feature set as with legacy. It keeps frustrating.

And 6.25.1 is not supported anymore and has bugs/incompatibilites with sharing public links with web/android. It is not correct, that this a full functional alternative.

• Like 1

Another reason for me not to install V10.

C'on EN developer: this is a tool to take NOTES, not writing a book !! I have lots of abbreviations and special keywords in my notes. The redline is bogus !

Whow! I wish there had been a warning in the pop-up window before updating: "P. S. Beware! No app preferences available. You'll be discriminated if you are using any other language than plain EN, code incl."

For now I switched to the browser version. That's at least a little better. So if you're struggling with the red squiggly underlines try logging into Evernote in the browser and see if that helps.

• Like 2
On 10/21/2020 at 9:53 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Hi,

This is not a solution. Why mark this thread as solved ??

-- Someone who used to be a Premium subscriber.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, average_user said:

Shane, you mistakenly flagged this post as " Solved". See the many complaints below. 

Could you please re-open this. Many international users like me would much appreciate it if you could do anything to prioritize this issue. Spell checking has been a well-known nuisance for a long time and needs to be adressed.

Thanks!

I think the 'solution' is found in a staff post on 8 October - "We are working on a fix for this..." So it is solved is so far as the issue os noted and a solution is anticipated. It just hasn't arrived.

• Sad 2

this is disgusting, the red lines are soo annoying.. I am planning to disable my premium yearly subscription.
And why was this feature not included in the 10th version?? Do evernote plan to read our data?

Been paying for Premium since june 2008, and now I have to write my notes in notepad before I paste them into Evernote 🙄 , cause it's so confusing to have a whole block of text with squiggly red lines below 90% of the words 🤣

They do have international websites, but I wonder how the danish customers ending up at the danish website, will feel when all they danish words are red-underlined..  https://evernote.com/intl/da/premium

On 10/22/2020 at 6:53 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Why this issue is checked 'solved'?

I updated version 10.4. But still, there is no "spell check off option", Even on commingsoon list, too!

DUDE FIX THIS S@# IT"S SOOO ANOYYYINNGGG THIS HAS BEEN LIKE THIS FOR WINDOWS FOR LIKE MORE THEN 5 WEEKS JUST GIVE US A TOGGLE OPTION JEEEZZ

MABY IM BETTER OF GOING TO NOTION CAUSE YOU GUYS WILL KEEP LOSING PEOPLE IF THIS STUFF DOESN"T GET FIXED 

HAVE A GOOD DAY :)

• Like 1

It's not just non-English-speakers who hate this! In English-language notes I've written, it flags as errors the name "Coen" (the filmmakers), "Benatar", "Jett", "Sia", "Fogelberg", and "Lightfoot" (the singers) , "Denzel", "Kidman", "Cheadle", and "Hiddleston" (the actors), the term "60s" (the decade), the abbreviation "SNL" (the TV show), "Hulu" (the streaming service), "absentia" (the legal term), university abbreviations such as "UNC", "USC", "UCSD" (but oddly not "UCLA"), "NYU", "BYU", etc., etc., etc. 

Oy veh! (it flags both of those words too). 

Edited by Bruce T.
Small clarification

Somehow ridiculous how they think they have built a better editor and simply forgot to integrate a mature spell checking. Instead Evernote staff declares problem as solved. For me this kind of interaction is ignorant. Sad.