[Feature Released in Version 10.7] Ability to disable spell checking

mimimimimi

Idea

On 10/21/2020 at 11:53 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I've modified the title of this thread to better reflect the request.

You can find the Mac equivalent of this request here:
Ā 

Ā 

Shane, you mistakenly flagged this post as " Solved". See the many complaints below.Ā 

Could you please re-open this. Many international users like me would much appreciate it if you could do anything to prioritize this issue. Spell checking has been a well-known nuisance for a long time and needs to be adressed.

Ā 

Thanks!

• Like 6
  • Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, average_user said:

Shane, you mistakenly flagged this post as " Solved". See the many complaints below.Ā 

Could you please re-open this. Many international users like me would much appreciate it if you could do anything to prioritize this issue. Spell checking has been a well-known nuisance for a long time and needs to be adressed.

Ā 

Thanks!

I think the 'solution' is found in a staff post on 8 October - "We are working on a fix for this..." So it is solved is so far as the issue os noted and a solution is anticipated. It just hasn't arrived.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Level 5*
25 minutes ago, Austin G said:

We are working on a fix for this! thank you for your patience.Ā 

Always like to know if it is a fix to something broken or an add back for something dropped.Ā  Transparency and all that for customers.

19 hours ago, average_user said:

Could you please make sure it's clear to Evernote staff that many multilingual users simply want to disable the spell checker ?

Fully concur but this still would be only a second best solution. In the year 2020, it should be an absolute no-brainer that a professional software with a considerable subscription fee has the ability not only to turn the spellchecker on/off, but also to check syntax and grammar in multiple languages. Most freeware is able to do this. It is really ridiculous that users have to ask for this "feature".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Please put behind the development on an advances search feature when we can't disable automatic spell checking. This is a disaster for literally everybody.

Ā 

image.png.acd5afa63eaef06110242ff87245078c.png

Ā 

And I'm really annoyed I have to write here instead of being productive. I will leave Evernote in 2021 when this stays

Ā 

• Like 1

I have the same problem. Basically, I am unable to read all my notes because they are in a different language than my operating system and the spellcheck marks all words as incorrect. Unfortunately, it seems that the spellcheck function is not a part of Evernote anymore. How one can overlook such an important issue in a beta test is really beyond me.

• Like 6

EN 10.1 still does spell checking. This is also a problem when users are writing in multiple languages, like in coding when English is combined with the native language. So, I would really suggest an option of disabling it, instead of making it to show when the written language is different from the OS language.Ā 

• Like 1
On 10/8/2020 at 7:29 PM, Austin G said:

A quick search on the forum shows this issue keeps popping up since 2015. It seems to be a major distraction to the workflow of many users.

Could you please make sure it's clear to Evernote staff that many multilingual users simply want to disable the spell checker ? From experience I can add that this also includes many professionals who use domain specific jargon or source-code fragments in their text.

Many thanks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry to add a post to this thread without contributing anything helpful, but since I installed the new Evernote for Windows today this spellchecker just drives me crazy! For me as a (German) author, editor, abbrevation-user and word-inventor this feature is a painful nuisance! My peaceful and calming lists which helped me to get through my daily tasks in these not so easy times have changed into a super busy cluttered surface! And why? Just because a feature which every other app I'm using is able to disable can't be disabled in Evernote. šŸ˜ 

Why can't we even tell the program, that YES, this red underlined term is right - we can just choose another word that was not meant. This is incredibly unfunctional!!

Please just give us the option to tick that off, Evernote! Or, if you don't want to, tell us, so I can leave you and search for another software for my notes.

Ā 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I cannot understand how product management can keep this in the wild. It must be easy to disable spell checking until problem is solved. 2 weeks since then...

• Like 1
On 12/2/2020 at 10:28 AM, j2mb0 said:

Does this mean Version 6 didnt help? I have the same issue on Mac and waiting day and night for a fix :(

No sorry Version 6 is fine.

My bug support ticket has been closed with:

Ā 

Upon checking, spell checker preferences is not yet available in the new version of the app. We havenā€™t built this feature into the new Evernote app. This is one of a handful ofĀ  features we are still considering. Thanks for letting us know this feature is important to you. I will share this information with our product team.

While we encourage everyone to give the new Evernote app a try, we recognize that there are some scenarios where using an older version is necessary or desired.

You can download the Evernote Legacy app by following the instructions in this Help & Learning article:Ā Install an older version of Evernote.

Ā 

So I'm giving up with the new version 10 and going back to the old version.

Like the other people on this thread I'm disappointed and surprised.Ā  But maybe we're the minority :(

Ā 

I'm also back on the old version now. What a relief. Now I can finally use it again. But I think I will start planning for a move to OneNote. It will both save me money and probably make me more efficient.Ā 

It is so sad to see a long time friend like Evernote get disabled like this. Version 10 is really a step backward in all the parameters that matters to me.

Ā 

• Like 1

There was a posting from EN support a few days ago saying it should be fixed withĀ EN 10.6. ThisĀ would be terribly late and somehow underlines theyĀ missed the purpose of a note taking app in general and especiallyĀ forgot about all multilanguage users.

In between this posting was deleted...now we can guess what this means...

The topic still is declared solved by Shane D. by the way!

Last thing : one workaround is when your squiggly red note is in a detached window, you can press Ctrl+R and that will reload the note and the squiggly lines are gone. (Until you start editing again)

Disclaimer : may depend on AB-Testing aka "experiments". If you have the option, it's in the help menu, near debugging. Shortcut is Ctrl+R. I'm on 10.5.7 btw. (spell-check fix still not announced in the "coming next" dialog)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Austin G said:

I apologize for the delays folks. this is now scheduled for the 10.7 release. Will continue to post updates as I receive them.Ā 

@Austin GYou cannot be serious, it is not time for april fools. You are then almost on EN 11 but not have even resolved such a basic issue for a NOTE TAKING app. This is absolutely ridiculous. Waiting another 2-3Ā months for that is no option. Instead of playing with shiny GUI adjustment I would prefer to see some more substantial evolving...it is so sad what you are doing to the product and the brand! šŸ˜ž

• Like 3

10.6.9? "Disable spell-check" option was theĀ actual need for non-English and Technical users,Ā "Add to dictionary" doesn't solve the problem(a lot of short forms and technical acronyms, not possible to add all to dictionary one by one). As it is an important feature for techinal users please add it in the upcoming versions. Thank you.

I just installed the new Evernote App for Windows (10.1.7) and a spellchecker red-underlines almost every word in my notes. I'm french and I write mostly in English which makes the problem worse I guess. This completely ruins the experience for me, making my many notes close to being unreadable. I am an Evernote Premium user , I work on Evernote every day and I'm very disappointed. There was no spellcheck on the previous version and I wish I could simply disable it.

I tried to disable theĀ Windows spellchecker but it doesn't change anything on Evernote. I read on Reddit that other people experience the same problem, please correct it or help usĀ remove the spellchecker.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
On 10/23/2020 at 9:11 AM, Victorvk said:

Can I get back to the older version of Evernote?

Sure, you can and should use the legacy version of the application if version 10 hasn't developed well enough for you.Ā  Both work, both can be installed at the same time.Ā  I don't have the download link to hand but a search in the forums should find one of the many posts which answers this question.

I just installed Evernote Legacy, thanks for the link!

I understand the reasoning of the dev team. Using the built-in Windows spellchecker saves maintenance. I think you can change the language of the spell checker by installing language packs and enabling multi-language support in the Windows settings. However: there is a major bug somewhere; turning off spell-check in Windows has no effect on Evernote! This is a killer for many people, as not everybody types plain text in Evernote. For example: code.

Another tip is to use the web interface. There, spell-check can be disabled.

• Like 4

Adding that I also have the problem. I'm taking notes on programming, cyebr security and networking terms, the majority of which are NOT in the dictionary. Vendor names. Partner names etc.

My documents and notes are now filled with squiggly lines. This is my first week using Evernote and it's likely to prevent me adopting Evernote or considering Premium if it's missing such basic functionality.

• Like 1

After upgrading toĀ 10.1.7 on OS X 10.13.6, I also now have the same problem with not being able to switch off the spelling checker. I write a lot of technical and non-English notes, which means my notes are now full of unrecognized words the spelling checker underlines as errors. I have disabled the OS X spelling checker from System Preferences, but that has no effect in Evernote. I hope Evernote developers doĀ more testing before publishing app updates in the future.

• Like 2

Same problem for me. My notes are trilingual most of the time (German living in Portugal, writing lots of English stuff). I try to give my notes a clear structure to be able to read them fast. With the spellchecker on they look like a bloodbath and are difficult to read.Ā 

And with EN 10.3.6 EN still ignores users feedback and did not add disabling of spell checking...

Assuming the speed basic functionality is added back to the electron app we have to sit for a further year or two to just see a supported client with same feature set as with legacy. It keeps frustrating.

And :Ā 6.25.1 is not supported anymore and has bugs/incompatibilitesĀ with sharing public links with web/android. It is not correct, that this a full functional alternative.

• Like 1

Another reason for me not to install V10.

C'on EN developer: this is a tool to take NOTES, not writing a book !! I have lots of abbreviations and special keywords in my notes. The redline is bogus !

Whow! I wish there had been a warningĀ in the pop-up window before updating: "P. S. Beware!Ā No app preferences available. You'll be discriminated if you are usingĀ any other language than plain EN, code incl."

For now I switched to the browser version. That's at least a little better. So if you're struggling with the red squiggly underlines try logging into Evernote in the browser and see if that helps.

• Like 2
On 10/21/2020 at 9:53 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that I've modified the title of this thread to better reflect the request.

Hi,

This is not a solution. Why mark this thread as solved ??

-- Someone who used to be a Premium subscriber.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

this is disgusting, the red lines are soo annoying.. I am planning to disable my premium yearly subscription.
And why was this feature not included in the 10th version?? Do evernote plan to read our data?

Been paying for Premium since june 2008, and now I have to write my notes in notepad before I paste them into Evernote šŸ™„Ā , cause it's so confusing to have a whole block of text with squigglyĀ red lines below 90% of the wordsĀ šŸ¤£

They do have international websites, but I wonder how the danish customers ending up at the danish website, will feel when all they danish words are red-underlined..Ā Ā https://evernote.com/intl/da/premium

On 10/22/2020 at 6:53 AM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Ā 

Ā 

Why this issue is checked 'solved'?

I updated version 10.4. But still, there is no "spell check off option",Ā Even on commingsoon list, too!

Ā 

DUDE FIX THIS S@# IT"S SOOO ANOYYYINNGGG THIS HAS BEEN LIKE THIS FOR WINDOWS FOR LIKE MORE THEN 5 WEEKS JUST GIVE US A TOGGLE OPTION JEEEZZ

MABY IM BETTER OF GOING TO NOTION CAUSE YOU GUYS WILL KEEP LOSING PEOPLE IF THIS STUFF DOESN"T GET FIXEDĀ 

HAVE A GOOD DAY :)

• Like 1

It's not just non-English-speakers who hate this!Ā In English-language notes I've written, itĀ flags as errors the name "Coen" (the filmmakers), "Benatar", "Jett", "Sia", "Fogelberg", and "Lightfoot" (the singers)Ā , "Denzel", "Kidman", "Cheadle", and "Hiddleston" (the actors),Ā the term "60s" (the decade), the abbreviation "SNL" (the TV show), "Hulu" (the streaming service), "absentia" (the legal term), university abbreviations such as "UNC", "USC", "UCSD" (but oddly not "UCLA"), "NYU", "BYU", etc., etc., etc.Ā 

Oy veh! (it flags both of those words too).Ā 

Edited by Bruce T.
Small clarification
  • Like 1

Somehow ridiculous how they think they have built a better editor and simply forgot to integrate a mature spell checking. Instead Evernote staff declares problem asĀ solved.Ā For me this kind of interaction is ignorant. Sad.

"MABY IM BETTER OF GOING TO NOTION CAUSE YOU GUYS WILL KEEP LOSING PEOPLE IF THIS STUFF DOESN"T GET FIXEDĀ " --> Evernote already lost a Premium subscriber (me).

Hope that everyone in this thread do the same so that it may put (even a small) pressure to them.

• Like 1
Here is another one who in two months will not renew the Evernote subscription.
One thing is to improve and another is to go backwards.
- No correction in two languages.
- No possibility of deactivating word correction.
- No auto-start with Windows

• Like 1

Just to echo the views of people here - I like many of the features of Evernote but to see red squiggles under proper nouns and abbreviations is unforgivable. People choose data management tools for many different reasons - for me, presentation is key. I re-subscribed today after a while away and was happy until I saw a few notes littered with incorrect corrections.Ā 

I've gone back to OneNote - where the spelling is configurable. And tags are now properly implemented.

I wonder how you guys think about value/effort mapping and the need for 'quick wins' now and again. Sometimes simple things are more important than USPs. I've always been transparent about product roadmaps - it's tough but it builds trust with your customers.

image.thumb.png.aff5847c5fa015c908896cc798328123.png

Can we please have an official date for this fix? I had to change to web browser to stop this annoyance but honestly I am not going to renew my Premium plan nor recommend Evernote with this kinda of issue and lack of service.

• Like 2

I uninstalled version 10 and started using Evernote 6 again.Ā  Then tried out moving to OneNote that I pay for anyway withĀ  Microsoft subscription.Ā 

The importer is here:Ā https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

But I recommend experimenting if you have a lot of notes with a small notebook.Ā  I mistakenly ticked use labels as tabs or some such and ended up with one note notebooks with a gazillion tabs which I didn't like.Ā 

That was OK but then I wondered if the spellcheck was fixed and tried version 10 again.

No joy; I have a support ticket open so fingers crossed.

I've been paying for evernote for ages, first note I had was Sep 25 2006.Ā  And for the first time I'm thinking of stopping the subscription, it is absolutely unbearable seeing little red squiggles all the time.

The funniest one is that the wordĀ 

EvernoteĀ 

itself comes up as mis-spelt.Ā  (as well as my own name, though I don't type that very often so just noticed). Hilariously bad.

image.thumb.png.8398f039328e68b2f9253f9af399ce60.png

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, alasdair said:

I uninstalled version 10 and started using Evernote 6 again.Ā  Then tried out moving to OneNote that I pay for anyway withĀ  Microsoft subscription.Ā 

The importer is here:Ā https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

But I recommend experimenting if you have a lot of notes with a small notebook.Ā  I mistakenly ticked use labels as tabs or some such and ended up with one note notebooks with a gazillion tabs which I didn't like.Ā 

That was OK but then I wondered if the spellcheck was fixed and tried version 10 again.

No joy; I have a support ticket open so fingers crossed.

I've been paying for evernote for ages, first note I had was Sep 25 2006.Ā  And for the first time I'm thinking of stopping the subscription, it is absolutely unbearable seeing little red squiggles all the time.

The funniest one is that the wordĀ 

EvernoteĀ 

itself comes up as mis-spelt.Ā  (as well as my own name, though I don't type that very often so just noticed). Hilariously bad.

image.thumb.png.8398f039328e68b2f9253f9af399ce60.png

Ā 

Does this mean Version 6 didnt help? I have the same issue on Mac and waiting day and night for a fix :(

• Sad 1

10.4.4.: I am also writing notes in multiple languages. Highly distracting red squiggly lines all over the place and no way to turn this horror off. This is unacceptable.

You need to fix this quickly and bring back global user preferences, please - if I should stay onboard.

Not sure anyone from Evernote is reading these posts... Evernote? You There?Ā Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Registered an account to post a question about how to turn off the distracting red spellcheck lines, only to learn that many others have already mentioned the same. One thing blatantly missing from the forum is a response from Evernote. These lines areĀ SO DISTRACTING it makes my notes unreadable!!!

Guess I too may be leaving their services behind... been onboard since 2011... sigh!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Any schedule for this? I have stopped using Evernote for the moment and moved to MS OneNote.Ā I would like to stick with Evernote, but not if this issue is not fixed.

This makes the application unusable. 10.4.4 didn't fix it. When is this going to be fixed? Its really annoying. Considering transferring all notes to OneNote if this doesn't get fixed soon and cancelling my premium membership.Ā 

• Like 2

Evernote user since 2009 here. I'm looking into alternatives and ready to cancel Evernote Premium.Ā This is such a glaring regression;Ā it's disheartening to see that this has been an open/known issue for months now.

If you write notes with technical terms and/or multiple languages, this is incredibly distracting. If you have the audacity to use proper nounsĀ in your writing, this is incredibly distracting. If you use acronyms, this is incredibly distracting. šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø

Hi, i was so irritated by this, that i googled it... i could not believe that it was really something that is not possible... i thought it was somehow my mistake and i just need someone to explain to me how to deactivate this.Ā 

But when i read, that there is NO way to deactivate it and that evernote does not changed this since months... i had to make an account just tell that i`m super irritated by this behaviour of evernote... and that i`m thinking about cancelling my pro subscription too.Ā 

I mean... how... why...Ā šŸ„ŗĀ 

My last posting has been deleted by Evernote, I guess because I pointed out, that Shane D marked this topic as resolved although it is not.

Now I try again...I also saw the posting of EN staff saying it is on roadmap for EN 10.6. So at least there was hope... But this posting has been removed so we are again not sure if our professional note taking editor will come back again.Ā 

• Evernote Expert
On 12/2/2020 at 8:27 AM, FotoFreddy said:

Update : no fix.

Would also like to say that Evernote has gone backwards in speed and usability the last few updates ! Wrong direction !

The staff response is version 10.6 New releases seem to be every couple of weeks soJanuary might be a reasonable estimate... (Not a promise ;)

Ā 

2 months and counting to just disable a setting...Ā  Ā  Ā what a bunch of awesome coders.Ā  Ā šŸ’©

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 12/9/2020 at 10:18 AM, Milincho said:

2 months and counting to just disable a setting...Ā  Ā  Ā what a bunch of awesome coders.Ā  Ā šŸ’©

The coders could very well have the fix complete. Completion of a fix does not necessarily mean it will be in the next release. There are a lot of things gating bugs/features moving forward. (QA availability, Management decisions, etc...) As a dev, that can be a particularly annoying aspect of development cycles.

Let me turn off that annoying spell checker! Programming code and languages are barely readable.

The new version is disappointing to put it mildly. I hope, it didn't update my database so I can go back to the earlier, better version. What was in your mind, when you decided to sell feature removal (notebook colors, notebook context menu) and adding some fancy editor tools as an "upgrade"?

Tip for users: Use "Insert code block" as a workaround. Text inside will not be spellĀ  checked.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, jerrypgillespie said:

Guys - what's the status of this? The inability to correct this quickly is a bit disconcerting for me. I'm finding Evernote had to use with anything now. It's not solved, right? Are they saying it's solved?Ā 

Must be written in more than one issue topics here (sorry...):
so far still no way to disableĀ spell check in evernote 10 (for Windows, Mac oder web)

EN-Staff posted somewhere here that notes spell check options are scheduled to be released with version 10.6.1