Dark Mode for Windows

Georgi Georgiev

Idea

Really sucks to be 2nd class citizens, no? The way Evernote closed the 5-year old thread even though Windows users are still waiting (you wouldn't close the thread if dark mode was only released on iOS, no?) and how ambiguous the help article regarding Dark Mode on Windows is (not even a promise that it's coming or that they're working on it, it just says "got better things to do") implies Evernote thinks their work is done here. We're probably gonna get it too but we can probably expect in the same 5 year time frame I guess. We're just not that much of a priority.

Mac people though, ah, they gotta get those Bear and Omnifocus users. Windows users aren't going anywhere anyway, no?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi.

I'm a developer, designer and photographer. And I use evernote plus for many years to control tasks and content of my interest, beyound my courses. I have more than 1k of notes that I use every day. So it's a great tool for me, thanks for all the hard work done so far, although a lot of people are paying to use the program.

I am from the old school, started in 1989 when my screen was really black. I'm in 50's now, not anymore healthly like you young talent guys from Evernote Co. My eyes are not the same. And will need work for more 15 years, to then get some rest. So, my eyes will be worst in more 15 years. 

So, I use some other very useful programms daily, in my Windows 10 platform. They are very helpful in dark mode. Best for me would be if my evernote was in dark mode too.

Daily I use for work:

I use Sublime text for windows in dark mode (not a windows store app). 
I use Kindle for windows in dark mode (windows store app).
I use Chrome for windows in dark mode (not a windows store app).
I use Photoshop for windows in dark mode (not a windows store app).
I use Lightroom for windows in dark mode (not a windows store app).
I use Xodo PDF for windows in dark mode (windows store app).
I use Windows operating system and how many Windows apps possible in dark mode.
Ah, I use evernote for android in dark mode, this is so good.

And I use Evernote for windows... in white mode. For God Sake! Is this a uncle Bill problem?

Cheers

sublime.jpg

chrome.thumb.jpg.6a65c09fb32aefdaf9ac29bc44b3cd37.jpg

xodo.jpg

kindle.jpg

lightroom.jpg

photoshop.jpg

windows.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 7/17/2019 at 3:30 PM, VredalertV said:

EVERNOTE DEVS - ADD A DARK MODE AND MAKE EVERNOTE BEAUTIFUL AGAIN!

I loved Evernote, but its UI now looks very dated and looks ANTIQUE on Windows 10... Every other App I use now is "beautiful" in Windows 10...  And in dark mode (Office, my DAW, Chrome, you name it...)

I give up, I'm switching to Microsoft OneNote with a beautiful Dark Mode:

image.thumb.png.ad5bb8cb143ef52a5e97e4338f26d985.png

I am with you buddy, start migrating from evernote to onenote too ! 😎

We have requested dark mode for windows since 7 years ago and look they just dont care about our feedback.

now microsoft launched DARK MODE on ONENOTE ! microsoft knows that dark mode is really important for us and most likely will beat EVERNOTE because for feature they underestimated or ignored (7 years and still counting proves obviously evernote team think dark mode is just not important)

Let's see how much user will started leaving like us and move to onenote just because of dark mode. When total users keep declining, then evernote will regret their decision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Congratulations to all you Mojave Mac users out there, you have something we all want; A Dark Mode! Meanwhile, in the Windows world, our eyes still bleed. 

According to an official statement, you are working on other things, but we think you should be working on this dark mode thing, as it's still the most requested feature. 

The original thread for a dark theme has been locked but this feature has not been implemented for a large section of your customer base. So let us reiterate; 

Evernote Wizards. 

Please, give windows users a dark theme.

Best Regards,

Your Paying Customer

• Like 3

Ok, so One note now got Black theme.... 

I have been paying Evernote customer since it became an option..

Don't care about excuses that Windows 10 only supports dark mode for UWP apps.....How hard is it to make background black and text white ?!

Will end subscription and use One note or even roll my own opensource alternative. Sorry but Evernote team is not listening to its customers.

• Like 2
On 1/2/2019 at 3:04 PM, jefito said:

This is a duplicate of requests in the Windows feature request forum. Moving it there.

Yes, and duplicates will keep on appearing on this forum until Evernote gives the majority of their paying users a dark theme. 

It is funny that we have been requesting Dark Mode in this thread for 5 to 6 years, and they finally made it, and they closed the thread. Leaving us Windows users to start a new thread for the same request. Do we have to wait for another 5 years or what?

• Thanks 1
On 5/17/2019 at 12:57 AM, dconnet said:

Most other platforms get dark theme support for free. Windows does not. (The Windows dark theme support you hear about is only available to UWP apps. That's not us.) The likelihood of the current Windows version supporting a true dark theme are about 0.1%.

Not sure if this is a official reply from Evernote (because @dconnet is shown as staff) but I hope this is not. This reply is misleading and irresponsible from a company that have so many paid subscribers. 

I am a software developer so I understand what that UWP argument means. But what this reply implied was that Evernote would give us dark mode, only if it cost them nothing (as low cost as just adding a new parameter to the current editor API). Evernote is telling us that we don't have the dark mode because MS doesn't want to implement it. No, that's wrong. Evernote doesn't give us the Dark Mode because Evernote doesn't want to implement it. They just want to see if they can wait until MS implement the dark mode for Win32 Editor. 

It is very irresponsible reply, because after all, who get the money from paid subscribers, MS or Evernote? Then why blame MS on this?

The reply is misleading because, there are so many tools I am using on Windows with dark mode/theme. Just name a few that I use more often, VSCode and Notion (Electron based) both support custom theme very well. Tools as simple as Simple Note support dark mode as well. Old tool like Eclipse and notepad++, at least have dark theme editors (Eclipse is SWT based, NP++ should be Win32). And Visual Studio also with dark mode (should be Win32 too).  So, if it is a technical issue or a architectural design level problem that makes Evernote unable to give us Dark Mode in Windows version, just tell users the truth. Please do not blame another company for your laziness or incapability. 

Anyway, thanks for replying though, at least we knew that's VERY VERY unlikely we are going to have a Dark Mode in Windows. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

They know about this already -- it's discussed here (which was linked from the original forum announcement): https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002061928?utm_campaign=dm&utm_medium=url+link&utm_source=discussion+forums. Short form:

When is dark mode coming to Windows and/or Evernote Web?

We don’t currently have a timeline to bring dark mode to Windows or Evernote Web. We’re currently focusing on performance improvements and feature parity in these clients before we make changes to the color theme.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, Adreng said:

We're just not that much of a priority.

I think we're pretty much the same priority as everyone else - but desktop users have things that mobile users don't,  Androids do different things than IOS,  and Macs and Windows users always think the other OS is doing better.  It would be nice to have the dark theme,  but - if you were reading all the posts - the Windows team don't seem to have the same kind of flexibility in the OS that Macs have.  Maybe they're waiting for the OS to catch up...

It not just closing the issue , it's also redirecting me ones to another post when I asked about windows.they are completely unaware and ignorant about windows,I guess they have too much money to spare for buying overpriced macs only I guess. 

Blaming windows flexibility is not a good idea , iOS has not reached anywhere close to windows flexibility, So there is no catch up to do.

Evernote codes itself shows it's been coded to white background for windows, there is work around hack available for the same which is litterally to change the hex code.

It's just.that more poorer who can't afford Macs overpricing tend to use windows,And we are in the blind spot. Evernote thinks that ignoring windows is a calculated risk to otherwise putting feature ( workload ). Well may be they are wrong. I already moved my stuff's to Zoho notebooks, works well and they are putting out a Windows version too, at least they hear customers. 

By end of this year I'll be moving out completely , thank you Evernote , it was nice having you and making life easier.

• Like 1

I mainly use a Mac as a desktop computer and Windows when mobile with a laptop. Dark mode is great on the eyes however changing font color of a block of text on the mac (usually a light shade to contrast nicely with the dark background) makes reading that text on Wndows really difficult because you end up with light font on white background. If Windows also had dark mode I could use colored fonts on the Mac without this hassle.

I suppose we're not. If there are real 2nd class citizens here, that would be the Linux folks. haha

But we're paying (at least I was, formerly) the same amount as Mac users. And we're here left to hang yet again. For something that's been requested for at least 5 years now you'd think they'd have plenty of time to release dark mode for everyone. Instead they keep on pushing these features that would make evernote a powerpoint competitor instead of a note-taking program. Take it as you will.

And I have a sense of perspective in this and that's within the Evernote environment. I don't need to look around the world to feel like the company doesn't value me as much as other users. What do you call someone who pays (again, formerly) the same amount for the same thing and gets less than everyone else? Where are the timelines? Even a vague promise? A shot-in-the-dark date that says "we'll release dark mode on Windows in 2020 or something"? I'm sure there's a lot of work involved in it but a dark mode isn't exactly cutting edge technology that needs years to develop. They obviously have priorities and I know people want to think we're all equal here but that's not how I'm feeling it. I'm glad you're contented with how Evernote is taking care of you but I'm not. And I'm sure I'm not alone with this.

But yeah, I AM making this sound so grave so sorry for that. It's just a dark mode after all. Dark mode was just a nice-to-have feature for such a long time and now that it's come and there are no indications that it will come to Windows too, coupled with the fact that Evernote closed that other thread just like that, it gets frustrating.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hello, I wonder if there is any news or work going on to implement dark mode for evernote desktop? Evernote has been always integral part of my thinking and work process. However, I recently shifted to work late at night and usually keep dark mode on for my PC. But whenever I needed to switch to evernote for note taking or for any reason, the white brightness is very disturbing. I would be delighted if Evernote team consider implementing Dark mode for Evernote.

Thank you

How has this not been addressed yet?  I see a lot of highly supported community feature requests that go many years with no attention, and very few significant updates to Evernote. 

I've been a paying user since that option was available (many years) and I have to say I'm really frustrated to see things ignored to the point that community members get so upset.  A lot of people are clearly feeling ignored, which I think is more important to address than any individual feature requests.   Evernote needs to wake up to this, and then eventually stat making changes that should take days, not years.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, rogerpec said:

And I use Evernote for windows... in white mode. For God Sake! Is this a uncle Bill problem?

Hi.  Please see the comments in this thread.  We're told Windows won't support it...  :(

Windows 10 One Note app now has dark mode... They also have a Import Evernote notes app so you can port easily.. looks like I'll be switching. Such a shame on Evernote to have "no timeline" for this feature. They probably don't user evernote themselves on Windows.. They are probably programming on their macs. 

I keep checking back to see if dark mode has finally been developed for the windows client, and after 2 years or so, nothing seems to have changed.

The help page still says "We're working on bringing parity to the features between windows and Mac" or some such, but how long can that possibly take?

I'm really keen to pay for a premium service like this or one note, but the gross windows 10 interface is a real game breaker for me.

Just joined, paying sub, would like to contribute to this conversation.

I as well like dark mode day OR night on all of my applications and browsers. DARK MODE ANYTHING is MUCH better on the eyes.

I use dark mode for pretty much everything on my android and Macbook Pro, there is zero reason that someone couldn't implement a dark mode variant on Window's machines.... just glancing over the two pages and seeing that this has been requested for several years just points to priorities not being the customer.

I would like to say I will stay with Evernote, but seeing that they do not care about the Windows users I'd have to say I will find an alternative sooner or later... 

There are excuses, but not good reasons. Many companies have have made the change, with software just as complex. Having worked in development for 30 years I can tell you that while yes, it is not easy, that there is no excuse for not having it done by now. I know several want to defend Evernote, for some reason, but the fact is they are falling behind.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Evernote are (they say) in process of completely re-coding all of their apps for all operating systems (See the Evernote Blog), so they may have already included some upgrades. But they don't preview details, so we'll probably have to wait until the new versions hit the streets to see what new features exist. 

• Level 5*

Windows just got real DarkMode support with 1809, which is still not out for the vast majority of the people, and what I've seen, isn't nearly up to par with what macOS did with Mojave. 

I'm sure it is in the pipeline, but they may be waiting until Dark Mode on WIndows 10 is up to snuff, or at least available to a lot of people via 1809.

• Like 2

Better or Worse, dark mode is a personal preference, I like the window implementaion better than dark mode in Mac 

Why so

1. It makes no change to me if it brighter around or not , boxy is just fine untill it work 

2. Amoled friendly so future proof #00000 , Hence also Battery friendly 

3. Less blue light, hence less circardian change ( making it night mode is not going to change it much )  

Why I preffer dark mode in Evernote 

1. Studys associating Blue light with health risks , because it affects circardian rhythm

Why I am sad that for what Evernote did ? 

Ethically wrong to put a group just because they are not vocal possibily 

Also not right to put a user group under health risk, while proving others with solution

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Understand first of all I am not an employee nor do I speak for Evernote. I am just speculating as to why there is no Dark Mode yet on Windows.

I think it is a bit overblown to say they are putting users at a health risk. That is a bit like me complaining that Evernote doesn't change the "Changed Date" for a note when I change tags, so when I sort by recent changes to see which notes I tagged with "Birthday Gifts" I didn't see a note for my nephew's gift because it had an older "changed date" - ergo Evernote hates children.

Dark mode has nothing to do with blue light. You want to use the "Night Light" settings in Windows. You can control the time, or let it go along with sunrise/sunset times in your location, and you can adjust the color temperature to your preferences. This is OS wide, so Evernote is affected.

image.thumb.png.470cb297bef4e972c1e6fe182d722e27.png

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
43 minutes ago, dconnet said:

For UWP (Windows Store) apps only. We're an old-style Win32 app (even the WinStore version of EN is still considered Win32).

Yup. I am not even sure if they plan to roll it out to all apps. The way Win32 apps work with displays is a mess. They still haven't figured out a graceful transition from regular to HDPI displays without the developer having to rework the app.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, trjuaugu said:

Due to the fact that Evernote refuses to listen to its customer base, I am forced to cancel my subscription and I am looking for an alternative app. Any suggestions?  

The OS has no Win32 support for Dark Mode, and it just got it with 1809 for UWP apps, and virtually no one has 1809 except insiders. What is Evernote supposed to do? Roll their own UI model because Microsoft won't?

42 minutes ago, EdH said:

The OS has no Win32 support for Dark Mode, and it just got it with 1809 for UWP apps, and virtually no one has 1809 except insiders. What is Evernote supposed to do? Roll their own UI model because Microsoft won't?

Since EN is implemented above CF3, using web technology such as javascript, html5 and css, I would assume that they can indeed implement it rather easily. At this very moment I use OWL, a FireFox dark mode plugin and on Chrome you have Dark reader etc.

Have a look at Visual Studio Code https://code.visualstudio.com/, a very nice editor completely written in javascript above CF3, with nice dark themes. So, technically it is perfectly possible in this technology.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Right, but it would be Evernote's flavor of how Darkmode should work, or Firefoxes, or whatever. They could definitely do that. I guess they have chosen, for now at least, to work with the OS makers to ensure good integration into device-wide darkmode so the user experience is consistent, so it works on macOS. iOS doesn't have it yet.. It may work on Android - I don't keep up with that.

And then when the OS does support it, they would have to spend time undoing all of their changes so it did work with the OS-wide setting.

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

It does.  It's in the latest update.

Yes it does. Thanks. Wasn't aware of that.

As someone who grew up with DarkMode, I've yet to find a reason to jump onto this recent fad. image.thumb.png.9d06dd3f5f8b33ee9fb719cf8e947884.png

image.thumb.png.72b99edfd87dc656db3d15a67515fd66.pngimage.thumb.png.6f1a8362d4146ac01f5e85c0e0fb3c56.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Level 5*
35 minutes ago, EdH said:

I've yet to find a reason to jump onto this recent fad. 

Doesn't ring my bell either, but I activated it to see what the fuss was about.

Clever example using a sample from our resident author and dark mode proponent.  Do I win a prize for noticing 🙂.  Maybe a key to unlock more emojis?

• Level 5*

Ha-ha -- yes, my early computer experiences were with PC (or rather, Compaq Portable) Dark Mode (if you discount the PDP-8 paper tape, IBM punch cards and teletype; that was just college). We used Wordstar as our first programming editor for awhile, I wrote a Lotus 123 spreadsheet reader (hacked the Lotus 123 executable in debug.exe so that I didn't have to have the floppy disk inserted on launch). *sigh* Those were the days, I miss them so... like a hangnail...

• Like 2
18 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Doesn't ring my bell either, but I activated it to see what the fuss was about.

Clever example using a sample from our resident author and dark mode proponent.  Do I win a prize for noticing 🙂.  Maybe a key to unlock more emojis?

I also grew up with dark mode, then switched to white screens for a big part of my professional life and switched back to dark mode a year ago. I prefer the dark theme because it is much easier on my eyes. I am a professional developer, so I am sitting in front of IDEs for some 8h/day.  It is much healthier for the eyes, less UV (less cataract) and less eye strain.  For me, the difference is spectacular.

• Level 5*
On 12/9/2018 at 10:33 AM, Adreng said:

Really sucks to be 2nd class citizens, no?

Honestly, look around the world. Get a sense of perspective. We are not second class citizens in any sense of the words.

How to use dark mode in Windows.

While pressing Windows Key, press three times + in the numeric keypad.

It is not ideal, but it works. Takes time to get used to it, but it works. It is not beautiful, a bit psychedelic, and it works.

hmm.  I use "Ctrl+Alt+I".  

It toggles invert colors in Windows10.

to active it :  Settings > Accessibility > Magnifier > Enable Magnifier

I think its the only option for me until Evernote release dark mode for windows10.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, vitaliistep said:

Is this so hard to add dark background option? If Evernote developers are really waiting for proper Windows 10 dark theme, then it's already here! Where is our dark theme for Evernote on Windows?????

The dark mode added in Windows 10 is only for UWP/PWA style apps. None of those APIs are available to Win32 apps, so as of right now, if Evernote does this, they will have to roll their own UI changes.

So when I first started using evernote on windows, the interface was gray.  And it didn't bother me that there was no dark theme for evernote because most of the interface was dark enough.  The web version was much darker too.  At some point a design decision to go with bright white was made, and I can't fathom why.

When I first started trying out Windows 10, one of my chief complaints was that there was no dark theme.  While I do not entertain the notion that people care much about what I think, I think it's fair to point out that there was market pressure enough to have Apple and Microsoft each develop dark themes for their respective OS's.  When Android was a newer thing and it was popular to root ones device, one of the chief reasons to do so was to apply a dark theme.  Almost every development IDE comes with a dark theme.

It should not be surprising that given my love of customization, I used to run a linux desktop.  I'd peruse the internet and see the other customizations others had made to their compiz desktops etc....  It should come as no surprise given the theme that I'm working on here, that most people used some sort of dark theme. 

My point here is that I feel that this is a significant enough point to the user base of a lot of software applications, not just evernote, that I am slightly stunned that the effort has not been put in.  I think that evernote is otherwise the best note taking app I've ever used, and would love to see this small trifle dealt with.

Also, since the service is subscription based, it would also be nice if there were a version available for linux too.

This is a shame that dark theme was not introduced in Windows and is not even planed in the foreseeable future.

I am a software developer with some vision impairments and I am having a hard time working with white screens. The most professional application I am working with does support a dark theme or at least supports high-contrast mode. Even Windows enabled dark explorer, what I never believed that will happen. 

At least I can use Dark Reader in a browser to achieve some prosthesis of dark Evernote.

• Like 1

If Windows 10  doesn't support dark mode, as purported by several Evernote replies to this topic, then how is it possible to configure the left panel as dark in the Windows client?
Tools > Options > General > User Interface > 'left panel theme dark'?

Perhaps Windows 10 only supports dark mode on the left vertical 1/5 of the screen?  Indeed, this is a Windows OS design limitation.

We're not getting honest answers from Evernote.  The honest answers are:

1. This isn't a priority for the development engineers, who have other 'cool' features to pursue regardless of what users are asking for.  (I have seen it 1000 times in SW development.)

2. We don't care because we don't need to.

3. See #1.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, Karlbu said:

If Windows 10  doesn't support dark mode, as purported by several Evernote replies to this topic, then how is it possible to configure the left panel as dark in the Windows client?

Because Evernote developers added a "dark mode" panel, which has nothing to do with any Windows-supported dark mode? Otherwise it would just respond to Windows dark mode setting, right?

7 hours ago, Karlbu said:

1. This isn't a priority for the development engineers, who have other 'cool' features to pursue regardless of what users are asking for.  (I have seen it 1000 times in SW development.)

Well, obviously they're working on other stuff -- or more likely, per the CEO's blog post -- focusing attention on fixing bugs,  improving stability and consistency , etc., rather than adding new functionality. In other words, the developers have been things to work on that the company (not the developers) has deemed to be higher priority. Is this a surprise? 

• Like 1

I have been using dark theme in Evernote for IOS for a while now and want to do the same in Windows 10 but I can find the command to execute this.

There's a dark theme for the left column...is it possible there's no option for the whole app to go dark yet?

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, Mr.Blu said:

Hello, I wonder if there is any news or work going on to implement dark mode for evernote desktop? Evernote has been always integral part of my thinking and work process. However, I recently shifted to work late at night and usually keep dark mode on for my PC. But whenever I needed to switch to evernote for note taking or for any reason, the white brightness is very disturbing. I would be delighted if Evernote team consider implementing Dark mode for Evernote.

Merged to existing feature request in Windows Feature Request forum.

This could be a work around, though it doesn't have all the same functionality as the local Windows Program/App.

In Chrome, Use the Menu > More Tools > Create Shortcut for when logged in to your web account (might need to quickly create the shortcut while the page is loading for https://www.evernote.com/Home.action instead of the generated link for the note at the top of the side column list).

Select Open as Window.

Shows up on your desktop and in the Apps Tab as Evernote Web.

Then add a dark mode reader for Chrome like Dark Reader.

Customize colors as desired.

**works on Google Docs also.**

If you want to try something different for a change, install f.lux and enable Darkroom Mode.

I got hope that the next evernote version 6.18 would finally include dark theme for windows, waiting several months for this.

As its released now, I am seriously disappointed. After all other platforms already got dark theme, is the credo for windows still "it's ready, when it's ready?" Or can we expect some more details?

Evernote web client in combination with a dark theme extension is an alternative, but does not offer the same smooth user experience as the native windows client.

4 hours ago, n5z said:

would finally include dark theme for windows

Most other platforms get dark theme support for free. Windows does not. (The Windows dark theme support you hear about is only available to UWP apps. That's not us.) The likelihood of the current Windows version supporting a true dark theme are about 0.1%.

Thanks @dconnet for clarification,

just to understand your phrase correctly:

The likelihood of the current Windows version supporting a true dark theme are about 0.1%.

Do you mean the OS windows or the evernote windows version that is unlikely to have a dark theme support? What is still unclear to me: Does Evernote plan to implement a manual theme for windows and when is the expected release date? What does speak against an UWP Evernote release?  Its unfortunate that there is no step in the dark theme train for non UWP apps.

I meant the Evernote windows version. I have zero insight into what Microsoft is doing!  (And the version we have in the store is not a UWP app - it's the exact same binary you get when you do a direct download and install.

• Level 5*
On 5/18/2019 at 11:47 AM, Sigurdur said:

Yes, and duplicates will keep on appearing on this forum until Evernote gives the majority of their paying users a dark theme. 

Sure, and w can keep merging them into the main request as needed, since they're not really adding any new information, just more votes. *shrug*

You should also read the following thread (Evernote employee @dconnet's replies in particular): 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, faifaifai said:

So, if it is a technical issue or a architectural design level problem that makes Evernote unable to give us Dark Mode in Windows version, just tell users the truth.

My interpretation of the response is that it is a bandwidth / priority issue.

6 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Yes that's what I have said we would only have Dark Mode "only if it cost Evernote nothing". That means this issue will never get the resource needed, and we will never get Dark Mode for Windows version. 

What I don't feel good here is that the reply is not honest about the current situation. If they are not going to give us Dark Mode, just say it. Don't mislead people with UWP/Win32 sh*t. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, faifaifai said:

What I don't feel good here is that the reply is not honest about the current situation

I think they gave a pretty honest answer.  The likelihood in the short term is low, but never?  Who knows?  They have never been one to give out roadmaps.

• Like 1
On 5/27/2019 at 3:53 AM, s2sailor said:

Precisely. My (very rough) estimate is that it would be a minimum of 6 months of effort. Almost everything in the UI is custom drawn. (Actually many of the custom drawn things are probably easier to update than some of the standard windows controls are!)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, dconnet said:

My (very rough) estimate is that it would be a minimum of 6 months of effort.

Holey moley! Dunno if that's just development time or design + development + QA/testing + etc. time, but that's an impressive amount. One of my old managers used to say, "well, I take your estimate, multiply by 3 and add 2 units, and then pass it on to my boss, who probably does the same thing." That being said, I can't even imagine how long it would take to do the software that I work on (lots and lots of dialogs, toolbar sets, etc.); thankfully, nobody's asking us for dark mode...

39 minutes ago, jefito said:

Dunno if that's just development time

That.

Edit: BTW, I should mention I played around with trying to expand our current theming to the list controls (standard windows controls) that we use for the note list. It was a complete failure at making it look right.

Guest Aleksander

Hi, I've been using Evernote for a few months and I absolutely love it--in pair with TickTick, they're significantly boosting my productivity and helping me stay organized. However, I'm wondering when or if there's going to be a dark mode for either the Windows app or the Web version? The white is really harsh on my eyes and it makes it difficult to read after a while :( 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Guest Aleksander said:

Hi, I've been using Evernote for a few months and I absolutely love it--in pair with TickTick, they're significantly boosting my productivity and helping me stay organized. However, I'm wondering when or if there's going to be a dark mode for either the Windows app or the Web version? The white is really harsh on my eyes and it makes it difficult to read after a while :(

Merged your post with the main "Dark mode for Windows" topic. Please read replies from @dconnet above.

On 5/16/2019 at 7:57 PM, dconnet said:

But we are paying for Evernote, thus Evernote can pay to have the dark theme implemented. What's the big deal? I thought we are paying to keep the product in development and have new features offered to us.

• Like 1

I would love to see a dark mode as well - what helps and is very eye friendly is a monitor with eye saving mode which had a more reddish color adjustment, helps a lot and I also have custom made glasses that are darker as normal reading glasses to further dim the radiation.

I also work with the windows 10 dark mode, love it

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Please see the comments in this thread.  We're told Windows won't support it...  :(

More specifically, Windows dark mode doesn't support the old Win32 style apps, which is what 99% of apps on Windows are. It only supports the UWP, PWA style apps. Evernote could roll their own, but instead of it being a single Dark Mode experience for users, users would have to manually configure each Win32 app, and Evernote (and other dev's) would have to come up with a UI to modify, and support multiple DPI modes, video drivers, etc. It gets to be a mess. I can be done of course, but Windows makes it really really difficult and tedious to do.

And I don't think all Store apps can be supported either. There is an Evernote in the store, but it is a Win32 app written with a wrapper so it can be downloaded from the store.

I'm not defending Evernote, or Windows. It is just a huge mess. Which is to be expected with an OS that has its roots in the mid-90's.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, EdH said:

More specifically, Windows dark mode doesn't support the old Win32 style apps, which is what 99% of apps on Windows are

...including Evernote. Many apps are now 64-bit (we ship 32- and 64-bit versions of our software), but still use much the same Windows API as the 32-bitters. Speaking for my company, we won't be making any attempt to make UWP or any other versions, any time soon. Part of that is level-of-effort (large and oainful), demand for UWP apps (small to non-existent), and belief that backwards-compatibility to old Win32 style apps is not going away any time soon (pretty certain).

2 hours ago, EdH said:

I'm not defending Evernote, or Windows. It is just a huge mess. Which is to be expected with an OS that has its roots in the mid-90's.

Now I'm curious about the situation in Linux, with its roots in the 70's... but then again, so does MacOS.. :) 

• Level 5*

Win32 refers to both 32bit and 64bit apps. It is the API interface, not the bittedness.

The underlying platform of macOS does have its roots in the 70's, but the user interface was developed fresh when they started over with OS X and was designed to handle multiple DPI monitors of high and low res (which Windows still cannot handle without the DPI percentage adjustment hack) and their UI was designed to have better control so the OS could adjust apps colors right from the start. Hence system wide dark mode without apps having to be rewritten.

Windows has done the same rewrite by the way, but only for UWP/PWA style apps. Which no one is using. My understanding it is a virtual impossibility to do it for Win32. It would be as much work for developers to rewrite to support as it would to just redo their apps. Which will be never. We'll be dealing with Win32 APIs until well past 2050. IT departments will not rewrite apps to support dark mode. If you want dark mode, they will let you use the AS/400.

Ibm green screen tutorial

• Like 1

I don't understand why some people in this thread appear fixated on Win32 v. UWP and seem to be missing the obvious clue that Dark mode has already been partially implemented... It already exists in some fashion in *PRESENTATION MODE* for a note (click the Moon icon). And from my tests, it works pretty darn well which is to be expected considering it's probably doing some really basic CSS styling since notes are already HTML-based anyway.

And heck, if they're concerned that some notes won't show up correctly in some globally applied Dark Mode, then they could just take a hint from the Firefox Dark Reader extension and allow you to turn it on/off at the Note level and have the system persist the specific note preferences.

And honestly, most Windows users concerned with dark mode are most likely already configuring apps at the individual level via themes for dark mode - Pycharm, Visual Studio, Notepad++, Sublime, etc. Who cares if one app's dark mode differs thematically from another app's dark mode. I'm not decorating my house for jebus sake.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, cacotigon said:

I don't understand why some people in this thread appear fixated on Win32 v. UWP and seem to be missing the obvious clue that Dark mode has already been partially implemented... It already exists in some fashion in *PRESENTATION MODE* for a note (click the Moon icon). And from my tests, it works pretty darn well which is to be expected considering it's probably doing some really basic CSS styling since notes are already HTML-based anyway.

That's in the note, and not in the UI, which I think is where @dconnet was coming from, at least per the post above: 

You don't get UI dark mode support for free in Win32, so it then becomes a question of level-of-effort prioritization. Which doesn't seem likely at the moment...

• Like 1
20 hours ago, jefito said:

That's in the note, and not in the UI, which I think is where @dconnet was coming from, at least per the post above: 

You don't get UI dark mode support for free in Win32, so it then becomes a question of level-of-effort prioritization. Which doesn't seem likely at the moment...

Ah, I hadn't realized they were referring to the UI itself. I can't speak for the majority of Evernote Dark-mode proponents (wouldn't mind seeing this in a poll though), but for myself, I'd be fine with the standard looking  interface as it is as long as the notes themselves had dark mode since that's where the majority of my attention is directed anyway.

Most of the people I know who use dark mode is because its less strain on the eyes, or in some cases because myodesopsia makes white backgrounds more distracting.

If Evernote were making the case that it wouldn't be thematically consistent having dark notes with standard looking GUI then why provide the option for dark mode on just the notebook-tree hierarchy in the first place...

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, cacotigon said:

If Evernote were making the case that it wouldn't be thematically consistent having dark notes with standard looking GUI then why provide the option for dark mode on just the notebook-tree hierarchy in the first place...

Can't say for sure, but the left panel is newer UI, I believe, and maybe they designed in dark mode up front.The Evernote dev folks would know a lot better, and it does appear that they've already done some kind of initial estimation, but beyond that I couldn't say.

This would at least be an easy option that could be put into the WebUI.  I mean it would literally just be a different CSS to use to present the interface, which could be used as a catchall for unsupported specific applications.  I've never understood the reluctance to support an easy win.  I've found posts about dark-mode in the desktop client that date back to 2013.  You'd think that in 6 yrs it could be prioritized.