Dark Theme/Dark Mode

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if a headline like the above might get @Chris O'Neill (apologies if not the EN CEO user) attention?  IT SHOULD! 

There are plenty of examples of companies that spout off rhetoric about service and listening to customers needs/wants, only to completely ignore them once the interview cameras and mics are switched off.  Is EverNote really listening, or will they go the same way as the Dodo companies before them, and suffer a meteoric fall from grace when the NEW EN Killer app appears on the horizon?

Being a 10+ hour-a-day PC User, eye-strain/fatigue has become a BIG issue for me, and for sure my eyesight has suffered due to all the time spent on our modern-day devices.

For this reason, and where possible I use 'dark themes/options' via any online/desktop app I use, or look to add the feature via app addons/extensions e.g. 'Care Your Eyes' + 'Dark Theme for Google' in Google Chrome etc etc.

However in EN, the closest solution I can find to creating a dark note background to a new or existing note, is by adding a single colum/row/cell table and then simply change the background color and add content as needed.  This is do-able work-around if you're ONLY using your desktop/laptop... However one of the selling features of EN that got me to choose them over their closest rival 'MS OneNote'... was the cross platform/device usability.

The issue with using this table-work-around is that the table is not responsive, does not resize well -resulting in requiring sideways scrolling on mobile devices... so IF you are switching platforms/devices often then using a single row/colum table to achieve a dark note background may not work for you, it doesn't for me.

The EverNote app and company have sold me.  Their product for the most part, and most of the time, is excellent for my needs.  Indeed I now use EverNote more than MS Word.  But they are Ignoring me, Ignoring You, Ignoring Us... there's no other conclusion!

Since 5 years ago in 2013 the #1 Feature Request has been for a dark theme/dark mode (NOT just a dark left-side panel).  I said that was the year 2013, right?... 5 Years and NOTHING!  Yes they have done other good things, but this the #1 request from us, the paying customers, and nada!  So I hope that @Shane D. does some more... "we certainly want to relay user feedback/sentiment to our various teams"  ...over the next 5 years! 

Okay, I will drop the sarcasm, but do you care Mister EN? Do you care about my eyesight or just my wallet?  A few days ago EN CEO Chris O'Neill said "we care about what you care about" ...really? ...do you really mean that Chris?  And Chris, when you said "we invest directly in the areas that will improve our products and your experiences with them" I hope there's enough money in the bank to get EN Number #1 feature request addressed... I know the past 5 years were a tough ride for you, so my prayers and fingers crossed for you mate that the team can get to this over the next 5!

300 Million Users...let's say 10% pay $90 USD per annum = over 2.5 BILLION $$$ Dollars revenue per annum... hmmm.

So @Shane D. what's been done in the past 5 years about this?  What's stopping EN from doing this...is it too hard?  What might be done about this in future?

In closing, and if you the reader, would also like this simple feature added, if you too care about your health and eyesight, then let your voice be heard (or unheard) and head to the EN feature request 'Dark Theme/Dark Mode' and please vote for the feature request (click the up arrow in top left of screen).

Cheers

Rick

PS I hope it was worth my 20 minutes to write this

To each their own, and good for you that the ONLY Default setting (a white background) works for you.

To be clear, I'm requesting an OPTION not a Change.  An OPTION to be able to adjust/change a Notes background color.  And did I mention it is the #1 feature Request since 2013?

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, RavBoy said:

To each their own, and good for you that the ONLY Default setting (a white background) works for you.

To be clear, I'm requesting an OPTION not a Change.  An OPTION to be able to adjust/change a Notes background color.  And did I mention it is the #1 feature Request since 2013?

Now you mention it, it's good to remember that it's best to add your feedback/vote to existing identical requests rather than creating new ones, especially since you already know it's a identical (https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/45681-dark-themedark-mode/?page=0#comment-238060). 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, RavBoy said:

To be clear, I'm requesting an OPTION not a Change.

You're posting in the Possible Bugs / Technical Issues forum.  Do you want the discussion moved?

34 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You're posting in the Possible Bugs / Technical Issues forum.  Do you want the discussion moved?

Guess I wanted to raise discussion and get some support from folk here to vote over there, if they too agree/have a need... but see your point re posting in wrong place, my unconsidered error.

At least the 'Guru's' here on this forum are quick to act.  But difficult to understand why @jefito would be sarcastic with me, over what I and many others believe to be a valid issue/requirement.  My understanding is that you 'Gurus' are volunteers and not paid employees... and in the past the many helpful answers I have got from you guys has been awesome, but not feeling the love this time ?  If this message needs to be moved/squashed and otherwise blown away then fair enough.  

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, RavBoy said:

But difficult to understand why @jefito would be sarcastic with me, over what I and many others believe to be a valid issue/requirement.

Pretty minimal sarcasm from me, particularly given that you lead off with a fair amount yourself ("Okay, I will drop the sarcasm", remember?). There's not a lot of point having duplicate feature requests; it doesn't help the people you're intending to reach (that would be Evernote, right?), and it's entirely possible that someone will fold this into the main request anyways. None of the preceding says anything about the validity of your request  -- it's perfectly valid, in my book -- just that it should probably have been tacked onto the end of the existing one. For your sake, I hope it's implemented.

Hey @jefito ...How do I move this to 'General Discussion' forum - or can you do it please?   My 'point' indeed was NOT to make this a duplicate feature request... but to get some buzz and noise happening...at least I achieved some on the latter ?

In actuality, I'm not an everyday user of this forum, or forums in general (until just recently) and so yeah this post should be in another forum, and NOT the 'Bugs-Technical issues' one, my bad and my apologies, noob still learning thingo.  And like you my 'pretty minimal' sarcasm directed at @EdH was a reaction to his preceding, I did indeed feel, in-validation of this post/ my needs/concerns and issue I take with EN not fixing this yet some 5 years later... just felt that a Guru should no better than that.  So I will post in the right place next time should I wish to bang on the front door of EN and yell loud so they might here the little ol user.

Finally, is there any other solution you're aware of, to get a Note background color to change, other than the table method i referred to at the outset???

Cheers

Rick

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, RavBoy said:

my bad and my apologies, noob still learning thingo. 

No problem. Go forth and post in peace. :) 

11 hours ago, RavBoy said:

And like you my 'pretty minimal' sarcasm directed at @EdH was a reaction to his preceding, I did indeed feel, in-validation of this post/ my needs/concerns and issue I take with EN not fixing this yet some 5 years later... just felt that a Guru should no better than that.

Ah, hm, Ed's post was a joke, and pretty funny for those of us who remember using the command line a lot, which tended to be white text on black background by default. One thing though: the title 'Guru' comes almost exclusively via post count. Post enough times, and hey, you're a Guru! Most of the people who stick around long enough to achieve this exalted position do spend a fair bit of their time here helping other users or contributing ideas or giving feedback for beta versions and other constructive stuff like that. Doesn't mean that we don't also engage in other tomfoolery here occasionally. Aside from that, we're not all in lockstep with Evernote or each other on importance of various features. Me, I'm happy to make suggestions, but I try to stay out of the priority game. Evernote works well enough for me as it is now that I gain a lot of benefit from using it, and that's all I need.

Evernote, with all due respect to a fantastic piece of vital software in my day to day operations, I wanted to say that the lack of a night mode feature is forcing me into other applications. I've been a paying customer since 2011. The lack of response to a torrent of requests for night/dark mode gives the impression that customers aren't important. I've been a paying customer since 2011 and recently purchased Scrivener to do my writing. There isn't a specific dark theme, but it does allow you to customize the interface to my liking. Right now I'm still a paying Evernote customer, but that may soon change based on evaluation of other platforms. Again, this is spoken not as a rant but in an effort to communicate that the lack of this feature is becoming a deal breaker for me. 

With regards. 

Thanks @jefito

Before logging on I was just thinking that I need to learn more about how forums work and in particular how/why people are Guru's on this forum...and guessed at what you wrote, so cheers and you read my mind re this.  Well, thanks to all the Guru's including @EdH for your ongoing contributions and help, cheers

Yeah, this eyestrain thing continues to be a big deal for me write now, but I get it's not for many others, and to discover yesterday that EN have had it on the books since 2013 really peeved me.  My obvious tongue-n-cheek sarcasm was all directed at EN should they be listening, I mean 5 years, really!  In a day and age when so many businesses talk about transparency, why don't they just tell us...'hey it's too hard' , this seeming small addon option would be too difficult, or whatever, to implement...sorry but no can do etc.  

And whilst I was quite annoyed, I feel I was still pretty fair about all the EN positives... I really like EN, and mention the app whenever the subject of research/productivity apps comes up in groups. Cheers

@RavBoy

In my time here  I have seen numerous requests for optional? dark mode. 

Because I am too lazy to 'bake' yet another specific monitor profile for the few apps that ship without optional themes I simply change the monitor setting (Windows 10) to night mode.  Might be worth your try?

2 hours ago, alwayzambitious said:

To the programmers, in the 5 years since the first request, up until today. 

Would it have been possible to make a version of evernote that had that feature.

realistically?

My guess is that rushing a patch to do a very basic & dirty version of this for the web client would probably take like an hour. Doing it properly, with clean settings and a carefully crafted theme in the web clients and the apps, maybe 2-3 weeks without rushing (hard to say, depends how messy the current code is). I think the problem can be summarized as:

"amount of ***** given by whoever is in charge: 0000"

8 minutes ago, 127.0.0.1 said:

My guess is that rushing a patch to do a very basic & dirty version of this for the web client would probably take like an hour. Doing it properly, with clean settings and a carefully crafted theme in the web clients and the apps, maybe 2-3 weeks without rushing (hard to say, depends how messy the current code is). I think the problem can be summarized as:

"amount of ***** given by whoever is in charge: 0000"

People are not asking for a dark theme for web client, but for the software. For the web client, there is no problem, just use an extension like DarkReader (available under Chrome, Opera, Firefox...)

+1 from me. Hoping to see a dark theme in the MacOS and iOS apps soon. It's especially disappointing to see competing apps like Bear marketed as part of the "apps that look great in dark mode" on the front page of the new Mojave App Store.

I need a dark theme half out of necessity (I do a lot of typing at night) and half because I don't feel like it's asking a lot from the Evernote team. This thread is nearly five years old. It's frankly ridiculous. I'll change apps out of spite before my next Evernote renewal, hopefully to an app with devs that are more responsive to reasonable feature requests.

Almost every development IDE or text editor for code has a dark mode. Surely some of the Evernote devs use dark mode for their code. I don't think the blame for this lack of response is with the developers, but with management. Of course, the disclaimer on the feature request forum says that popularity doesn't mean implementation. That's fair. But In the CEO's message about layoffs, there were repeated mentions of being customer-driven, e.g., "These changes are designed to create more customer-focused teams and allow us to deliver product experiences at greater velocity and higher quality."

Well let's have it then! This feature request forum is a great way to organize what the customers want. This feature is literally the top of the list. 

I am wondering if the latest bad news about Evernote will lead to a change in how Evernote prioritizes Customer requests. 

I believe situation could be as follows:

- Evernote is a unicorn company with >300m VC money in it

- Goal is to become a company like Dropbox, Slack (IPO candidate and so on)

- B2C business alone is probably sufficient to finance the business, but it's not really great (<100m revenues p.a. and very limited growth potential, I guess the VCs are hoping for much more)

- Therefore: Full focus on getting Evernote into companies, just as Dropbox or Slack, as companies are the much better customers given their high willingness to pay (once they have decided that they really need a software)

- In the last months they must have realized that this has failed. Evernote is too differentiated to become a standard solution for enterprises like Dropbox or Slack.

- Management must have recognized that couple of competitors are now pushing in the market, trying to take away the B2C business from Evernote. Due to Evernotes Focus on B2B there are plenty open spots where competitors can attack (simple stuff like a good UI, Dark mode, Markdown support and so on)

- My hope is that the management and shareholders have realized that Evernote must react now by getting focus back to B2C business (i.e. implement now the features the users are asking for and stop them switching to competitors) if they don't want to lose their core asset, the gigantic B2C community and finally lose everything.

By the way: That the CTO has left the company is from my point of view a good development. Evernote is an unstable piece of software and obviously the technical foundation is so complicated that ultra-simple features like different markdown colors can't get implemented in a short amount of time. This situation is not good for a company like Evernote. And this is what a CTO is responsible for. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, kthesun said:

I am wondering if the latest bad news about Evernote will lead to a change in how Evernote prioritizes Customer requests. 

No sure what latest "news" you're referring to.
There's a staff reduction which might lead to less support available.

I'm not clear on how your analysts of the situation is even relevant to this.

12 hours ago, Theo1231231 said:

Evernote needs to support Dark Mode on MacOS Mojave. That's just a given.

And Windows 10 which has a dark theme for 3 years, does it matter less?  Dark theme for everyone, no more for one than the other, especially when we talk about an OS that has not even been released yet...

+1, BUT

I'd believe that this is an incredibly hard feature to implement.  If I were to guess, I'd bet that different note storage methods over the years collide heavily with background color changes.  Acrobat Reader has this problem in spades; reverse reading color only really works in text only documents.  In most other docs it turns into a mess.

If I were Evernote then i'd try to offer in all newly created notes going forward.  That way note authors can see immediately if background collides with images/text/clippings.

For all the complainers, here's your chance to fix it:

https://evernote.com/careers/job/?id=1324558&amp;gh_jid=1324558

On 9/25/2018 at 6:47 PM, JohnLongney said:

@RavBoy

In my time here  I have seen numerous requests for optional? dark mode. 

Because I am too lazy to 'bake' yet another specific monitor profile for the few apps that ship without optional themes I simply change the monitor setting (Windows 10) to night mode.  Might be worth your try?

I've had Win10 on Dark Mode since it became an option .. made no difference to EverNote though.. And, I let my sub expire here & using (at least for now) the Notion Workspace software (in Dark Theme/Mode) which was easy-peazy to implement right in the menu.  But, I'm keeping an eye out here still in the hope that they'll have some change of heart if they want this huge portion of their potential base to take them seriously.  Lately, all their talk about taking their Customers seriously ..well, for years any of that's been just that -talk..

Evernote is a premium and staple application.  For reasons both practical and aesthetic, it needs a dark mode.  Now that macOS offers a dark mode, Evernote's compliment to this would be timely and received with great fanfare.   

Regards

I simply can't understand why such a basic and relatively easy to implement feature is not taken care of since it is sooooo requested. We are not requesting integrating with other platforms or adding AI, it's so much easier than that.

So I'm left to think if Evernote really cares about it's users....

I tried to learn coding. Some Java, Some. Used several IDEs, meaning development environments. Guess what EVERY IDE offer and reasonable programmer will use. You guessed right DARK/NIGHT Mode.

If dark/night mode request is unreasonable, please elaborate how Evernote software engineers code? Do they stare in to white spaces all day long? or use dark mode?

23 minutes ago, Mishkafofer said:

I tried to learn coding. Some Java, Some. Used several IDEs, meaning development environments. Guess what EVERY IDE offer and reasonable programmer will use. You guessed right DARK/NIGHT Mode.

If dark/night mode request is unreasonable, please elaborate how Evernote software engineers code? Do they stare in to white spaces all day long? or use dark mode?

In spite of any recent Press Releases.. sometimes I get the feeling that there just aint a bunch of coding going on at all ...and, even less attention to anything we may have to say.. unfortunately.

Please roll out Dark Mode for Evernote for Mac.  All you need to do now is conform to MacOS Mojave.  A dark sidebar does not address the problem.  Working with what are effectively Notes in many apps including some non-Apple apps with white text on a dark background takes away huge amounts off eye strain staring at a screen for long periods.  It also makes the battery on a laptop last much longer.  If you want a model for how this would look the Apple Notes app is a very good template.  I'm not saying that I'm close to thinking of switching over but  the lack of dark mode in Evernote has given me a reason to check out just how much Notes has caught up with Evernote.

On 10/14/2018 at 1:47 AM, Remus Buzatu said:

I just canceled my premium subscription. Also I'm going with simplenote app as it does offer dark mode for both mac and android / iOS app.

Thought of doing the same since I really like SimpleNote, but I find it is just too limited compared to Evernote, particularly I need note links and table of content for organization. to me any program that lacks this is not a reasonable option to replace Evernote.

I am desperately waiting for dark mode for Evernote in my Mac. because I use it intensly. But its not available till date. I have figured out my own way to do it.

I invert colours of my Macbook display from accessibility setting and it works for me.

Could this be a solution?

It's called "Negative Screen".

• It's tiny, opensource, freeware
  • You push a hotkey, *boom* screen inverts.
  • Easy. 

Attention coders:
Can this be tailored specifically to Evernote?

Smoother fonts, not inverting pictures, etc?
You’d be the forum hero!

*Note:
No affiliations, I’m just like you and looking for a solution, thanks 

Untitled.thumb.png.8323efdf3af811c41dddcb0b8eca2989.png

word.thumb.png.0496289480a6f1940eb8a03666de9f70.png

I've joined the ranks and cancelled my premium subscription that would be renewing next month because of the lack of a dark mode and a developer response about it. I've been using Notion for about a month now. It's cheaper and has more of the features that are useful for me. I mainly need a place to put my daily work journals. Support for markdown and programming language-specific code formatting are particularly useful for me. And of course, it has a dark mode. The main downside, of course, is that I have so many notes built up in Evernote. Notion has a way to import them but I haven't yet tried it. 

3 hours ago, naturechase83 said:

Could this be a solution?   It's called "Negative Screen".

The more options the better, but it lacks the ability to dim the screen along with the inverting, a feature available in such programs as Sunsetscreen and CareUEyes.  But the smart inverting feature is certainly interesting, similar to what SunsetScreen can do but easier to use.

Programs of this type sometimes conflict and cancel out each other, I guess they use similar/same system calls, but I was able to use it together with CareUEyes, so smart invert and dimmer screen at the same time, cool.

Now all I need is a program that will understand that if a background is already black or a dark color, don't invert it into white or a light color!!  I have seen some browser extensions that understand this quite well, but nothing that works system wide yet.

--

Btw, what most people are missing in this discussion, is that the dark mode issue in EN is not a programming issue, but a design, branding issue.  

18 hours ago, MarkKaiser said:

Who ever asked for that?
And what kind of dumb idea, can't you just copy paste notes?

No one asked for this. But EN is very good in implementing things we did NOT ask for and NOT implementing things we all ask for.

And it's also half implemented, it does not allow to store title and tags in a template?!

I feel neglected just as you all do, which is why I don’t use Evernote anymore but to be fair, templates was requested a few years before dark mode was requested. I looked up when it was suggested. since I too was disgusted templates was announced recently 

that being said dark mode is easier and should have been implemented first.

+1 for a dark theme option for iOS/Android and WIndows desktop and web versions.  If I remember right, there was a dark sidebar theme for iOS versions with iOS 9-11 and they just scrapped it out.  A full theme would be perfect when looking for notes late night.

• Level 5*
On 10/17/2018 at 5:10 PM, MarkKaiser said:

Meanwhile, they added templates for Evernote.

Who ever asked for that?

Below are a few of the many template requests.

>>And what kind of dumb idea, can't you just copy paste notes?

Some users think it's important; no idea what they think about the dark mode idea
I have no problem with my collection of template notes.

Second that motion - dark theme needs to be implemented, for battery efficiency and AMOLED preservation also. And it could turn the background of clipped web pages to black also - ideally make this a selectable option in the settings

Dear Evernote, what's the matter? Are you sad? We know it's been hard for you.. but you hired a new CEO, you set a new vision, you raised prices, and we're still (mostly) all here. Your loyal supporters. We don't ask much, but a simple dark mode is something one or two people may have mentioned over the many years past.

We know – you were busy with Evernote Food. Thank you. Then you changed the look of notebooks, made them more realistic looking. Then you changed them back again. Then you changed them to grey. Thank you for that. Then you just got rid of those pesky notebook icons. Then you did some other stuff I can't even remember, but I'm sure it was lots of work. Then you brought out a big update which allowed as to change the side bar to a dark color - YES! This was very close Evernote! Us, the people, asked for dark, and you listened. Thank you! Now we humbly come to you again and ask that perhaps you could take it just one step further...

It's now the year of our lord 2018 and we were just wondering if perhaps someone who works at the Evernote headquarters could put in an extra hour or two this week and change those pale areas to glorious dark shades of black and grey. Please make this kind soul employee of the month. Thank you. 

For years through all the changes, updates, new features, personnel a dark mode has been requested.  In all this time, if no one employed at Evernote has the technical no-how (Highly Unlikely) to answer this request they could have hired someone. How could they go through all these evolutions and neglect to address I would imagine the most requested feature change. It was for this cause I dropped my premium subscription. They are not supplying premium features.

Mac turns their entire operating system to dark mode and evernote can't put this option out, even for premium members?  That's alright.  Sublime text works just as good as evernote for note taking.  And office with a dark theme now?  May be time to check out OneNote again 10 years later.  I'm cancelling my premium evernote account. I don't even use it anymore specifically because it lacks this feature.  As a director of a creative marketing and dev team, it blows my mind.  This is an easy feature to put out that would have a big impact. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, nizzle said:

Mac turns their entire operating system to dark mode and evernote can't put this option out

12 hours ago, Casti said:

I downloaded the Beta version of Evernote on  my Mac and now I have dark mode ?

The gotcha is to enable the dark mode background in the Preferences->Notes

Oh good - the stable release should be soon then! I just downloaded Mojave and the apps that don't have Dark Mode yet are really painful to use.

Em 28/07/2017 at 05:01, Sergey Voronov disse:

Just to add a bit to the Stylish solution for web version.

Couple of months ago I found these extensions restyling all web to dark.

They do it quite well, are easy to disable per site, and I completely switched to them from separate Stylish themes:

Chrome: Dark Reader https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh
Firefox: Dark Background and Light Text https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/addon/dark-background-light-text/
   Firefox - Custom colors to make it more like IDEA, my favorite IDE:
    * foreground #A9B7C6
    * background #2B2B2B
    * link color: #D9C077
    * visited link #D9C077
    * selection color #214283

Although, I think that's not a solution for Evernote, as the web version is way slower and harder to use than desktop one.

Agreed.

Aaand... looks there's not a Safari extension.

Em 10/11/2018 at 15:50, Casti disse:

I downloaded the Beta version of Evernote on  my Mac and now I have dark mode ?

The gotcha is to enable the dark mode background in the Preferences->Notes

Mojave version for Mac OS finally is embracing the dark mode lovers/needers. Not perfectly, but... but hope is still alive!

Archived