nle

mac Skitch 2.0 - Mac

Idea

Hi all,

I've been using Skitch almost since the day it came out, and I really like it. I use it to share/comment on ideas, teach people what to do, keep notes on something I need to remember for a short while, etc.

I've only used the new 2.0 version a couple of hours, but it looks like the new version has removed some of the best features.

Missing:

• Ability to set privacy options on images (and if they are indexed by google by default, that is even worse..)
  • Ability to auto copy URL on publish (preference to choose witch URL. Direct, web, etc.).
  • Ability to upload to FTP (one of the nicest features on Skitch. Please don't cripple this app to force people to pay for Evernote)
  • Press "alt" to change direction arrows
  • Preference to remove dock-icon, and only have menu-bar icon.
  • Ability to press "shift" to get timer countdown.

Nice new features:

• Pixelate tool (time consuming to go into PS whenever that is needed)

Thank you for reading. :)

7 people like this

148 replies to this idea

It also looks as if Skitch was removed from the Menu bar....another useful feature missing in the update.

6 people like this

I have to concur.

The new skitch breaks some of the *CORE* functionality I came to expect, and rely on DAILY from the product.

This new version is a significant regression in functionality and quality.

1. My LARGEST complaint, is that you removed the functionality that lets me push a screenshot/snip up to my own sFTP/FTP target. For my internal work needs, where I need to share things in a semi private manner it was an amazingly useful feature for me to be able to take a capture, drop an arrow on it, and in 15 seconds have that up on a URL that I can share with someone.

http://myfakedomainname.com/filename+timestamp+applicationname.png <-- something like this was what I could then share with my clients, or coworkers! This was an amazingly simple feature that uses MY bandwidth the way I want to use it, and keeps *MY* name (the domain name) in the context. I then, personally could worry about removing, editing, archiving, deleting the old images, how ever I wanted.

By forcing me to share content via evernote, you've removed an incredibly simple tool that leverages the most basic functionality of the web... 'sharing a URL with someone'. And no, YOUR URL, doesn't count. I don't want to see evernote's bloated URL (which is useless for plain english parsing) and evernotes website... My clients don't want to see it, and I have ZERO interest of it living indefinately on your servers just so you have some permanant track record of everything I've uploaded. I'll use evernote if I want that (and for evernotes use cases, I do, but not skitch).

Now I'm forced to upload to evernote if I want to get a quick URL to share with someone. I pay you a monthly fee so I *DON'T* have to worry about this. Not because I want something free, and I'm going to -deal- with the functionality you force on me.

This alone completely breaks Skitch for me.

If you simply added back the "upload to sFTP/FTP" capability from the previous version, and left everything else you've added, I'll be satisfied.

2. Editing tools.

Why did you remove the simple "click to select, so you can delete or move things".

The new "blur" tool is nice, I like that. But once you place it, I can't figure out how to move it, or remove it.

In comparison, the line drawing tool can be clicked on after the fact, to move or delete what you just drew.

This is broken, and makes no sense.

3. There's also no way to change the line weights or font size anymore.

I'm not expecting photoshop, but sometimes you need to have smaller, or larger elements.

4. The top OSX menu bar icon. You removed it... why?

5. I'm sure there's other things that I haven't noticed yet that are going to bother me just as much...

This is a huge step backwards for what was an amazing product that I used MANY times through out the day.

I'm actively looking for a replacement now.

6 people like this

@Duran

You can resize typed text, by typing. Deselect. Select. Drag the round dot in the corner. Quite a hassle, but it works.

1 person likes this

Very disappointed in 2.0. I wish I could go back to previous version!

If you have Time Machine you can downgrade that way... that's what I just did.

I completely agree Duran and the OP, I use Skitch almost exclusively for the ability to upload screenshots super quickly to my own server and share them privately with my team members. Without that ability I will have to hold on to using old Skitch until I find something else. I can't believe this feature was removed.

4 people like this

I've also been using Skitch since it was released, and use it constantly. Not having a menu bar option, requiring it in the dock is a huge loss. Also, it seems that there are more steps involved to actually capture screenshots. The reason Skitch worked so well is that it was quick to access and use. I'm sad to say that this release negates those positive attributes.

1 person likes this

My Mac friends are quite upset over the removal of features. A primary use was to quickly post screenshots in forums and blogs, but without the ability to share to a server and copy the link for hotlinking the picture, the function is broken.

3 people like this

I also decided to go back to the old version for the time being. I'm going to use that (uploading to ftp) until some of the issues gets sorted out.

And guys (and girls). Be sure to log on to http://skitch.com/tools/download/ and dowload all your photos, before they get deleted.

Awesome, thanks for the .zip file link to restore the old version of skitch!

1 person likes this

yes...bring back menu bar icons....why break something working?

1 person likes this

I recently have bought into the Evernote ecosystem wholeheartedly for my note taking in my college classes but today's Skitch update is really awful, thanks for the zip of the old version I won't but updating until the app stops bothering me to upload my notes and allows me to use it from the menubar. I drag my screenshots into my Evernote notebook I don't need to save the pictures by themselves and I don't want to.

1 person likes this

I believe a lot of thinking and hard work went into this launch and usually I try to be appreciative and open-minded when it comes to updates to the products I use. But this one is just not doing it for me unfortunately.

I'm your premium subscriber and I used skitch.com for hosting, so I'm not very affected by the change, yet I do find the move itself to be quite in poor taste. You took 2 great free products that a lot of people had years to learn to depend on and merged them together in a very limiting way. Skitch was something you used without thinking. Its traffic was free and unlimited. You took it away.

I do feel personally affected by some other changes though. I actually paid for Skitch's premium account not long before you acquired them, so I could have direct URL to my image copied to the clipboard automatically. Sometimes it makes a lot of difference in the workflow. You took it away. And you did same for ability to pick my output format. And aiming for that small arrow in the corner of sharing icon is real pain. I almost sent my image by mail 3 times before I managed to aim well enough to see other options in that drop down.

Cropping and resizing feels much worse now. While older Skitch had somewhat childish interface and felt odd in native Mac OS environment, it made those things really smooth and almost intuitive.

I didn't have to make an extra click to activate crop tool and I definitely didn't have to drag each of 4 handles individually from the center of the image just to get them back to the edges of the original so I can start looking into what I want to leave out. Who said I want that small rectangle in the center? How often would this scenario actually happen? Why?

Resizing is even worse, because I need to activate the tool and then use small switcher to toggle cropping/resizing while it was a matter of using a simple handle before. And after this I'm getting a slider that's nowhere close to precise. I just couldn't get my picture to be 640px in width exactly. The slider suggested the numbers that were near that but never that. I could get the size right in a matter of seconds in older version. And if my hands were shaking too much to achieve the result for some reason, I always had advanced instruments in preferences where I could input exact numbers from the keyboard.

Everything just feels like more of a hassle, including the extra click/keystroke I now need to confirm my selection when taking a crosshair snapshot. But this move I can justify at least.

Why can't I choose the thickness of the lines and size of the text anymore? Paint bucket?

Removal of menubar icon? Why? At least integrate it into Evernote's clipper icon and let me get rid of the one in the dock. It has nothing to indicate, it's a satellite tool for Evernote, so there is hardly a reason for it to sit there, occupy the space and distract attention.

And I also have very mixed feelings on the new interface to be honest. It's much more clean for sure and blends into Mac OS much better but it seems to lack polish a bit. The shadow looks too strong for a light background and the 'drag me' handle does not feel like something you want to touch. It appears plain, thin and fragile. I somehow feel dark grey background for the 'Evernote' section (that btw fails to indicate the way to get back to editing an image) would work much better and provide contrast between tools, background and image that current implementation lacks.

To be honest, despite its quirky look Skitch 1.X was one solid application that did a lot of things right. It was fast, effortless and free.

If I were to ask something more, it would be:

• ability to take screenshots of full page in the browser
  • alternative formatting styles (I know this look gives Skitch a character but sometimes you need things to be presented in a bit more serious manner)
  • ability to accept handwritten text from tablets
  • tighter integration with Evernote on Mac and iOS that would make basic editing of images within Evernote possible (iPhone image size please)

This update added pixelate tool that is acting funky (it looks fun but I could hide things with color before), removed dozen of features, made most basic tasks much more of a hassle and made whole app feel unstable and buggy. I'm trying to stay positive but this is something really hard to appreciate.

5 people like this

I just want to throw my hat in on the "this is crazy" bandwagon. Part of the core functionality for my use (and other users in our organization) is to take screenshots of as-yet-unreleased web sites and make them available internally via FTP. This is content that - quite simply - we CANNOT send out to some random server on the open Internet.

We will not be upgrading to 2.0 until this functionality is restored.

1 person likes this

Skitch 2.0 is driving me crazy.

For me the killer feature in skitch was the countdown screenshot by holding shift. It lets me make tutorials that include context menus and other things that are only available when you are interacting with the screen.

Thankfully I've found a copy of the old skitch online. I'll keep an eye on Skitch 2, but I won't be moving to it until they incorporate all the features of Skitch 1. I find it incredulous that they'd remove features in a newer version of the app!

2 people like this

Why did you break this wonderfull tool ?!

Evernote i'm not mad, i'm disappointed. Bad evernote.

4 people like this

Thank you all for updating us about all this. I will not be updating at this time.

1 person likes this

2.0 = The worst update of an app I've seen. I want to return to 1.0.12 NOW!!!

5 people like this

Simply put ..., you took a gem and turned it into brown doggy stuff!

All the substantive comments are in the earlier posts.

4 people like this

Is there a way to change the format of the image? Mine is stuck on png. Changing it was quite easy to do with the previous version, but I haven't found out how in the new one.

Capture > Menu Snapshot provides a countdown, but it is apparently triggered by pulling down a menu. The previous version allowed you to have a countdown for ANY purpose -- it wasn't limited to menus. I used it just yesterday to hover and display a tooltip before taking the shot. Now it seems to be impossible to accomplish that.

1 person likes this

I just read TechCrunch's comments on the Skitch update: "

Nor can you choose the file format for your screenshots anymore (it’s .png or nothing)."

Evernote, you've got to be kidding. You have taken a unique, useful app and made it just like a dozen other screenshot utilities. You should have renamed it.

2 people like this

I really don't understand how this update was even possible. It just speaks so loudly to the complete and utter disregard to the customer base for Skitch.

I don't think I have ever been this disappointed and truly angered by a developer. This came out of nowhere. Yesterday, I'm working very efficiently on images for our Web site, and today I log on and literally ALL the features that matter to us are gone.

LITERALLY.

• No drag to resize.
  • No ability to export to another format.
  • No ability to drag to crop.
  • No fill

I mean these are "core" features are they not? One of the major selling points was, "look how easy it is to crop, resize, and export". The speed of use. All of that is gone? And for what? So it looks more like the iOS version?

This is actually souring me on Evernote as a company. Who know what they'll do to Evernote? Maybe they'll decide to stop allowing PDF and only use their own file format. It's crazy, but so was this. We've all seen companies do dumb things in products, but I've never seen anything like this. It's really Skitch in name only. What made Skitch Skitch is gone.

The only consolation is that you can still download the old version around the web and from their site... for now.

Skitch 1.0.11 http://bit.ly/RvFw08

3 people like this

I trashed 2.0 and brought back the old version thanks to Time Machine. I also sent a message to Evernote via Skitch > Provide Skitch Feedback.

Maybe there's some hope Evernote will understand how bad this update is. They're getting trashed on Twitter. TechCrunch's article is titled "When Updates Make Things Worse: Evernote's Skitch 2.0."

1 person likes this

Skitch was my most used app, and my highest recommendation for my clients to use for sheer simplicity. This update does strip away some of the core features which were great. I use this app as a support and sharing app to help explain points. I do not use this for noting things for future reference.

• Direct syncing to Evernote is not useful and just take up space on Evernote.
  • The lack of choosing a compressed .jpg is really terrible because now it increases the upload time to CloudApp or email, and increases the download time for the person receiving the file. It also makes sharing on 3G or 4G mobile internet take up more data on upload. For someone who uses Skitch a dozen times per day or more, this is considerable.
  • The direct dragging and cropping just felt a little better than what it is now.
  • The lack of a toolbar icon and space on the dock is such a step backward.

But my positive feedback is that the file creation part is smoother and allows for direct dropping into CloudApp/dropplr. This is great!

The capture method and resizing prior to capture feels really nice.

The pixelation feature is great too.

1 person likes this

Also going back, I just don't like the ever-present dock icon, it's menu bar or not at all for me.

1 person likes this

Been using skitch since beta, I cant say too much more than what was said here but you took all the unique minor UI concepts that made skitch amazing and easy to use and you churned out this chunky abomination. I have downgraded and hope you have the decency to keep supporting the old version.

I dont understand why a company takes something perfectly good and trashes it in the name of change. Are your developers that scared of being made redundant they feel they should keep programming if even for the worse? I mean look at the preferences for the new version its 2 tabs and one of these only has a checkbox, alarm bells should have rang then.

-No option to keep it in menu bar only despite it being a lightweight utility.

-No longer able to drag images onto canvas, must be "opened" via menus

-No longer able to click to resize 1.1 and see on your screen pixel for pixel on your screen how big itll be when you export.

-No more FTP support (not selling enough premium memberships?)

-Buttons are not larger and more obnoxious and there are fewer of them.

-No longer able to capture a webpage from safari in it's entirety without scrolling with a single click (this itself is VERY valuable to many and is the sole purpose of a few apps)

I'm glad louder voices than mine feel the same way: When Updates Make Things Worse: Evernote’s Skitch 2.0

Look at what you released and compare it to the following, there is so much more utility and power in the old version and it does it from an un-intrusive menubar icon:

tx5FS.jpg

I'm actively looking for a replacement now.

I am using the old one at the moment unfortunately there was nothing comparable software to skitch which why it WAS so amazing. Hopefully someone takes advantage of this and brings it back with better support for 10.7.2.

I think Evernote do great work though but for some reason no company seems to immune to "fixing things that work great" in this manner. Thanks for listening to our voice guys, ill always remain a premium evernote subscriber and had no qualms with my photos being uploaded to evernote however this should not be the sole method.

1 person likes this