Skitch 2.0 - Mac

nle

Idea

Hi all,

I've been using Skitch almost since the day it came out, and I really like it. I use it to share/comment on ideas, teach people what to do, keep notes on something I need to remember for a short while, etc.

I've only used the new 2.0 version a couple of hours, but it looks like the new version has removed some of the best features.

Missing:

• Ability to set privacy options on images (and if they are indexed by google by default, that is even worse..)
  • Ability to auto copy URL on publish (preference to choose witch URL. Direct, web, etc.).
  • Ability to upload to FTP (one of the nicest features on Skitch. Please don't cripple this app to force people to pay for Evernote)
  • Press "alt" to change direction arrows
  • Preference to remove dock-icon, and only have menu-bar icon.
  • Ability to press "shift" to get timer countdown.

Nice new features:

• Pixelate tool (time consuming to go into PS whenever that is needed)

Thank you for reading. :)

"We did a full rewrite of Skitch, and we didn't take anything out — there's just some stuff we haven't put in yet,"- Evernote CEO Phil Libin

haha wow that makes no sense, I am not sure if I should be frustrated with him or just pity him for having to sell a ridiculous statement.

I'm a Premium Evernote user. I use both EN and Skitch all the time. I wouldn't mind the integration of Skitch with EN, as long as Skitch 2.0 retained the functionality it had with version 1.07. I just don't understand why Skitch had to be destroyed before it could be integrtaed with EN.

So unless 2.0 recaptures the features of 1.07, I will be happy to continue using both products (Skitch 1.07 & EN), separately!!!!

"We did a full rewrite of Skitch, and we didn't take anything out — there's just some stuff we haven't put in yet,"- Evernote CEO Phil Libin

Well, clearly this is not true. Do you mean that there's an intention to include the things that disappeared in the new Skitch that just haven't made it back yet? Because that's a story people will understand if you communicate it clearly.

"Skitch has never been and is not about to start being a drawing tool. People want multiple brush types... and photo editing tools like dodge and burn... but that's very low priority for us."

I don't believe any of the complaints I've read are about such things, but about the things that were taken out of Skitch. Of course, you said you didn't take anything out...so something isn't adding up. What exactly is it that just hasn't been put in yet?

Just want to add how awful the update is. The old version was perfect, I think literally perfect. This new version drops the ease of doing annotations for a non-user friendly and limited web 2.0 looking interface.

I get wanting to force users to use your other products, but some of us don't want to use Evernote, let alone be forced to sync content to an account.

Where did the paint bucket tool go?

Why are screenshots so much clunkier? What happened to select and shoot?

Limited controls with poor UI (highlighter icon, really??)

I will continue to use the old version, this is just a sad update.

+1 to all the comments made here. I'm sadly disappointed with this Skitch update.

Particularly not being able to snap a whole webpage anymore... this was one of the greatest features of the old Skitch.

On the plus side, I find the Evernote integration seamless and very helpful.

cheers

A suggestion for Evernote:

- put the old version back as the main Skitch version

- expose the new version as a Beta version, with notes and screenshots to explain what is different

- gather feedback and let the new version mature a bit until it's a real replacement...

or... just make sure the 'classic' version remains available.

Just my $0.02...

/SDW

I have been using Skitch for longer than I can remember. In fact, before is was taken over by Evernote, I paid for a three year subscription to its pro services. In construction terms, Version 2 represents the demolition of what was a great app., not the development. Bring back Version 1 and develop that along the same lines please. Why no menu bar icon /options for example? FFS!

My own view of Version 2: in short, it's *****e.

New users or upgraders: forget it.

While I found many aspects of Skitch 1.0 interaction bizarre (resize vs zoom) I appreciated a number. I pareciate 2.0's attempt to normalize some interactions but not at teh cost of loss of functionality.

2.0 has little to appreciate and removed things I liked.

Reverted back to 1.0 till things get cleaned up. Using SnagIt more.

Hello,

I have attempted to contact Evernote developers regarding Skitch and have been directed here. I note from the posts immediately above this one that there does not seem to be any company representative attending to peoples concerns. I read a lot of complaining and for obvious reasons. A simple drag into an e-mail of a screenshot now is quite onerous. The old method of dragging the tab on the bottom of the Skitch window onto the e-mail compose window, however without doing anything different attempt to attempt, it finally works. I don't get how a program can go from being a mature product to an immature one. Like others I paid for Skitch Premium and whilst I like Evernote, the regression impacts my computer use more. Simple things don't work either, like being able to take a screenshot and dragging it into the body of a pre-existing Evernote in the compose area. I know why, because it is busily uploading my screenshot to Evernote, eating up my storage without me confirming that action, and creating a separate note that often I don't specifically need, as all I need is the image for the construction of the note or e-mail. So, an easy thing gets clunky. I have to say I am really disappointed in this whole situation and hope that Evernote start to represent their product better to those that can be bothered to comment in this forum, dedicated users of their programs. As for the programs, I hope and expect considerable work and changes to be reflected in new updates of Skitch, and its integration with Evernote.

I forgot to mention the saving function of the screenshot is a drop down arrow activated on the RHS of the Drag Me window at the bottom of the Skitch window. Ironically I just used it and wanted a PDF instead of a JPEG, not a big ask I thought. Skitch 2.0 doesn't allow PDF, or it certainly didn't drop down as a choice for me, and yet when I fired up the old one it did, plus a lot more file format choices. Crazy backward engineering. I simply don't know of a software product that has ever gone backwards through an amendment process.

Oh I was happy!! I used the link to the "old" skitch and I thought I had it back. I did, for about 24 to 48 hours. I now have been automatically upgraded!! I don't want to be upgraded!* I want the original Skitch. The new one is not an improvement.

And now the skitch servers are down... no more auto-copying links to the clipboard. Ridiculous there's been no comment from Evernote. We should start sending in story tips to places like Engadget, Mashable, Wired, etc and try to get at least some press on this. :angry:

Direct Image Link was a Premium service for Skitch Plus users. Any Skitch user who paid for Skitch specifically for this feature and has not yet received their free Evernote Premium subscription, please contact us with your payment information so we can get that issued. We have the full list of paid Skitch users available for cross-reference.

This was a legacy feature that was superceded by Evernote image share. Should you require direct image linking (and not image markup, which is what Skitch does), there are other products around who are made to do that, many of them free, such as http://imgur.com/too...oard-widget.zip (sign up for an account on http://imgur.com/ ).

This was a legacy feature that was superceded by Evernote image share. Should you require direct image linking (and not image markup, which is what Skitch does), there are other products around who are made to do that, many of them free.

1. It was a CORE feature, a key part of "what Skitch does" for 100's of 1000's of us.

2. Yes, please DO reccomend 3rd party solutions for which we were willing to pay you: which "direct image linking" solutions do you suggest we leave you for exactly please?

Pff. First company voice in this entire 6 pages:

- no appology

- no communication of empathy or concern

- no strategy to address major lost functionalities

Am shocked that such a smart solution as Evernote can emerge from a customer "care" philosophy as MSoft'ian as this.

Grrr.

There was an answer before that these threads are being monitored. But I can understand the last post. For me Imagesharing via FTP was essential. I even wrote my own litte skript that would allow all kinds of annotations for the uploaded files. Booomm … all gone in the new version.

Sure, evernote bought the product and finally can do to it what it wants … as we have the right to take a hundred dollar bill and burn it to light our cigars :-) … In the end we vote with our loyalties … that said I have my own little theorie why nothing is happening here. It's true … they got a "Sh*t storm" in this thread from many old users but then again I guess the new distribution channel App-Store (and them being featured in it) produced sooooooooooooooo many new users and downloads that we are probaly obselete at this point … just a theory.

I for one am glad I can still use the old version and once the OS doesn't support it anymore and Skitch doesn't improve his recent "downgrade" I will vote with my feet and switch to another app.

Best regards

Max

Hello,

I have attempted to contact Evernote developers regarding Skitch and have been directed here. I note from the posts immediately above this one that there does not seem to be any company representative attending to peoples concerns. I read a lot of complaining and for obvious reasons. A simple drag into an e-mail of a screenshot now is quite onerous. The old method of dragging the tab on the bottom of the Skitch window onto the e-mail compose window, however without doing anything different attempt to attempt, it finally works. I don't get how a program can go from being a mature product to an immature one. Like others I paid for Skitch Premium and whilst I like Evernote, the regression impacts my computer use more. Simple things don't work either, like being able to take a screenshot and dragging it into the body of a pre-existing Evernote in the compose area. I know why, because it is busily uploading my screenshot to Evernote, eating up my storage without me confirming that action, and creating a separate note that often I don't specifically need, as all I need is the image for the construction of the note or e-mail. So, an easy thing gets clunky. I have to say I am really disappointed in this whole situation and hope that Evernote start to represent their product better to those that can be bothered to comment in this forum, dedicated users of their programs. As for the programs, I hope and expect considerable work and changes to be reflected in new updates of Skitch, and its integration with Evernote.

So, some of your primary issues should be resolved in the newest version. Drag Me should be working for email clients of most stripes, if you've landed on one where it doesn't work, I have this thread here for you to drop in questions involving Drag Me, and we'll investigate. I am a huuuuge Drag Me guy, across MS, Apple and web products (including Evernote) and have been testing across all those suites. Dragging into excel "feels" slightly different now, but works. You may be experiencing something similar with your email client.

We've turned off the automatic upload feature to Evernote, making that optional. Dragging right into Evernote is working pretty seamlessly, at least for me.

I tried to upgrade to 2.0 today hoping that there would be some bug fixes and I was pretty dismayed by the missing features in the new version. I consider myself to be a basic user of the tool, mostly just using the editing tools available on the main screen and the export function, but I had to downgrade after about 5 minutes of trying to get things done with the new Skitch. For example, it seems that in the new version the paint bucket tool is gone, which means I can't shade background images before I put text over them.

It feels to me like there is a good range of features in the old version. Not enough to make it a sophisticated photo editing application, but enough that you could use it to produce decent screenshots with some mark-up for slide presentations very very quickly. As a student, both Evernote and Skitch have been very useful tools for me, and I share the concerns that others have expressed in this forum that the new Skitch will not be as useful. In fact, with the new features, it's not clear to me why Skitch is a stand-alone app at all. Why bother rewriting Skitch to do only three things instead of twenty? Why not just put a few new features into Evernote and be done with it?

There was definitely room for improvement in old version, but I think this is a pretty obvious example of the 80/20 myth in action. I recommend that the Evernote/Skitch devel team read the Joel on Software article: http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000020.html. If you buy what Joel says, the user outcry about the changes should not be at all surprising.

I concur with scores of others expressing their frustration, bewilderment, anger, disbelief, and pretty much everything except appreciation. Everyone has already added what's wrong, what got removed, what's missing, etc. so I won't repeat it. I just wanted to toss in my 2¢ to request the old functionality back, especially the ability to post to FTP/sFTP. I also want to choose whether my Skitches are saved to Evernote. I'm a premium Evernote member, as are a lot of folks here, so it goes without saying that I love Evernote, but I don't want all my Skitches there. It should be our choice.

I do appreciate @gbarry saying they are listening to us and checking out the iTunes reviews. I've seen several blogs about it, but this one from Engadget asking about Skitch replacements caught my eye: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/27/ae-skitch-replacement/

Please, Evernote powers-that-be, please bring back the Skitch we know and love. Adding functionality is ok. But please don't take it all away. Thanks for listening.

Please, Evernote powers-that-be, please bring back the Skitch we know and love. Adding functionality is ok. But please don't take it all away. Thanks for listening.

This says it all, we all love Evernote and use it everyday, but the Skitch move was very frustrating...

I try to hide the app because it's not in the menu bar anymore (my fav old feature). But it can't hide by itself and I have to hide it manually even if I chose to hide it in the Login Items in system configuration. Even worst, the first time in the day that I try "Command+Shift+5" it brings the Skitch window first, being that part of the capture!

I'm concern now about the new Evernote for Mac coming soon... I hope is not a complete redesign otherwise Evernote will turn into... ugg... Microsoft? I believe Evernote is one of the BEST applications around. Period. Please don't mess it up trying to go one step further.

Thanks Evernote, we love you!

Latest version doesn't allow me the ability to save selections as PDFs. Why not?

Also, I'm no longer able to drag and drop selections to gmail emails in Chrome, Safari and FF. Big problem.

The forced merge with Evernote introduces lots of clutter to a previously simple and more useful app. Evernote integration/functionality should be optional.

I downgraded to the previous version and am happy again.

Just a me too. "Dowgraded" to V2.01 and immediately "reupgraded" to V 1.0.12.

V1 was a productive tool, V2 is a toy. :angry:

Whoever was in charge for this redesign hopefully starts accepting the reality, that this was a move in the wrong direction. The simplified GUI just doesn't cut it, it is not very intuitive. I still don't know how to alter line weights, set default font size, undo pixelation to just name a few, not to re-mention all the things that have been removed.

Go back to the drawing board and start from scratch. Just re-adding a couple of V1 features doesn't help.

Pete

I agree this is a HUGE step in the wrong direction. Overall the UI feels more responsive and snappier, but it has lost so many tools!!!

My biggest gripes are:

- No Fill: Using fill to grey out parts of an image made things stand out so much more.

- Can't rename images: Much easier when viewing items as attachments.

- Only one brush size

As for the interface, I'm not hating here but the crop icon looks like some little android bug robot thing. Not super intuitive.

Also, why turn the brush / pen tool into two different tools when you could have left the highlighter option in with the color palette? You could have either left the brush size option in with the pen tool or added the fill tool in there.

I for one like the idea of stripping down a program for ease of use, but you guys took it a little too far.

I hope that either:

A) you're reading this and will fix some of these glaring issues

B) someone else is reading this who will capitalize on your mistakes!

TTFN

- Only one brush size

I hope that either:

A) you're reading this and will fix some of these glaring issues

There are actually three brush sizes--you can change them in the color control button.

Thanks for the feedback. And we're definitely reading, watching, and updating. See our latest post on the direction of Skitch here: http://blog.evernote.com/2012/11/21/skitch-and-evernote-a-letter-from-keith-lang/

I'm a long time user and fan of skitch. I even purchased the app. Now evernote made this app/service trashed.

So i downloaded the old version 1.0.12 and suddenly "Share Note Link - Click to Copy" is not working.

I'v checked with different Macs and all same.

WHY BREAK THE BEST APP FOR MAC?

Evernote - Scrap version 2 - or make it beta - and make version 1 the "official" version until you get things right again. Absolutely atrocious "update."

Things I really miss in addition to things already mentioned:

--I often add white space to screenshots by clicking and dragging. This enables me to add text when there's not enough room on the screenshot itself and allows me to easily make tutorials

--Custom color picker and "eyedropper"-type color matching tool

--easy ability to change tool sizes (new method is incredibly awkward)

--THE SELECTION TOOL!!!!! It is ridiculously difficult to select individual elements by clicking on them without a dedicated selection tool.

On my Lion install, there are no snapping and drawing preference tabs - is that a bug or are the instructions for changing preferences not updated?

I also downgraded. For anyone having difficulty with Skitch 1 not respecting your preference to show only the menubar icon and not the dock icon under Lion, this worked for me (copied from https://getsatisfaction.com/rescuetime/topics/it_would_be_great_to_be_able_to_hide_rescuetime_from_the_dock). You'll need the ability to edit a property list:

--. Navigate to your Applications folder and right-click on the Skitch.app and select "Show Package Contents".

--. This should open a folder that contains a "Contents" folder, open that folder and you should see a list of folders and files including "Info.plist"

--. Double click on Info.plist to open it - it should open with the Property List Editor by default

--. Click the triangle next to "Root" and it should display the contents of the Info.plist file.

--. The setting we are interested is called "LSUIElement". This setting should be in the property list and should have a Value of 1 (hidden). If it has a value of 0, you can change it to 1 by double clicking on the value.

--. Close the Property List Editor and save the changes

now i'm using both version 1 and 2 on my mac. version 2 is missing lots of features from version 1 and version 1 is not even working properly. this is ridiculous. i'm very disappointed by evernote. i can only think the purpose of evernote acquired skitch is to users increase their monthly data usage and move to premium account. :angry:

I'm a long time user and fan of skitch. I even purchased the app. Now evernote made this app/service trashed.

So i downloaded the old version 1.0.12 and suddenly "Share Note Link - Click to Copy" is not working.

I'v checked with different Macs and all same.

WHY BREAK THE BEST APP FOR MAC?

To be grudgingly fair, there have been OS updates to Mac since Evernote "created" Skitch 2.0, and because Evernote stopped supporting/updating Skitch 1.0.12 it's possible that the changes in the Mac OS are responsible for Share, Copy Link not working any longer. This may continue to happen to other features after each Mac OS update.

Hey everyone,

I wanted to bring to your attention Keith's post (found here: http://blog.evernote.com/2012/11/21/skitch-and-evernote-a-letter-from-keith-lang/) and my forum post (found here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/31839-hello-and-intro-from-head-of-skitch/) where we both address the rational behind Skitch 2.0.

We are actively working on bringing back many of the features from 1.X to 2.0. Many of these features remained on our roadmap, it was a matter of having time to role them out.

We are committed to making Skitch the best annotation program for visual communication available.

With future releases of Skitch we'll bring back many loved features in addition to addressing bugs, and introducing new features we think all Skitch users will love. If you read through Keith's blog, you'll see there is a very sound rational about why we made the changes and how we are moving forward. We believe Skitch is the best visual communication tool on any platform and we are committed to making it better.

So please keep the feedback coming and we'll continue to listen (we always are, even if we aren't responding) and determine the best next steps.

There is no excuse for version 2.0, I payed for Skitch premium and they have removed most of the useful functionality. Version 2.0 is a terrible piece of software, just terrible, whereas 1.x was a beautiful piece of simplicity... very disappointed. Downgrading never felt better.

We are luck it's still possible to downgrade !

http://evernote.com/download/get.php?file=SkitchMac_v1

By the way I've lost 4 days of work because I don't have anymore the "History" feature... it was not important but very usefull when you need to reuse a screenshot done few days ago.

Also Many bugs on the latest version 2.0.2, especially when you want to do a screen with Cmd+*****+5 some windows replace the current screen I still don't know why but I have to collapse them before doing the screenshot If I don't want them appears again...

I'm very disappointed with the new version :s

Guys--I want to ensure everyone has seen and checked out our latest public beta, located here: http://discussion.ev...a-announcement/

It's a serious update that needs your attention. We want your opinions and feedback.

We are asking for your feedback for Skitch for Mac v. 2.0.3. Please download the 2.0.3 version from the link below and then test it out. If you have any problems testing out the FTP function please let us know, if possible, what software your FTP server runs so we can try and narrow down the problems.

New Features available in this version include:

• Create one custom color for annotation tools
  • Enhanced sharing options (There are several new Share URL options, including direct URLs)
  • FTP access <- Functions similar to 1.x. You’ll need to set the account information under preferences.
  • Auto copy of the URL to the clipboard
  • Increase in pen tool sizes
  • Count down timer for timed snapshots
  • New preferences - Including options to control the timed snaps and to use a URL shortener

We’ve also addressed quite a few bugs such as (but not limited to):

• Saving Skitch image title changes when switching back to the Skitch Notes in Evernote gallery
  • Saving text when added to an image using the Text Tool and immediately sharing the note
  • Delete key starting new text entry
  • Saving while still typing text causing the text to disappear
  • Title changes not sticking on sync
  • Various instances were sync might fail
  • And lots of of other bugs.

I just tried unsuccessfully to Paste to Evernote a simple, copied, annotated screen grab (thank you Skitch v1!) and "sync" it when EN crashed. Took me several tries and 10 minutes, all for nothing. I have been so disappointed in all the functionality I have lost since EN took over (broke) Skitch. I'm going to ditch Evernote as well. How an a UX team be so tone deaf about obviously useful features? I can only think it has to do with squeezing us into Premium ASAP. I'd do it but all the comments here seem to indicate that nothing would change for my application (i.e., mostly instant, picture-is-worth-a-thousand-words, tech support in a semi-private environment). Very sad. :(

@Alberto

I'm sorry to hear that you're frustrated and having problems, but perhaps I can try and get this working for you (I'm not customer service, but I'll do my best).

• What version of Skitch and Evernote are you using?
  • Is there a reason you are copying and pasting the image into Evernote vs. simply creating a note via Skitch and letting that sync?
  • Are you copying and pasting the Skitch snap into a note with existing content?
  • And finally are you copying and pasting the snap into a new note within the same notebook Skitch uses to normally sync?

I just tried all of the above with Skitch 2.0.3 (downloaded from the Mac Store) and Evernote 5.0.4 for the Mac and was not able to get a crash. I tried copying into a new note, existing note, editing the note, and syncing both within the same Notebook Skitch uses for syncing and a separate Notebook.

• What version of Skitch and Evernote are you using?
  • Is there a reason you are copying and pasting the image into Evernote vs. simply creating a note via Skitch and letting that sync?
  • Are you copying and pasting the Skitch snap into a note with existing content?
  • And finally are you copying and pasting the snap into a new note within the same notebook Skitch uses to normally sync?

I just tried all of the above with Skitch 2.0.3 (downloaded from the Mac Store) and Evernote 5.0.4 for the Mac and was not able to get a crash. I tried copying into a new note, existing note, editing the note, and syncing both within the same Notebook Skitch uses for syncing and a separate Notebook.

Thanks for the reply, Joe. I am using OS X 10.6.8 and my cherished Skitch 1.0.7.. I know full well that this version of Skitch doesn't interoperate with Evernote (Version 5.0.3 (400675)) but have decided that Skitch is too useful an app to abandon it and am trying to develop a practical workflow given the current drawbacks. I hope I've answered all your questions below, most of which assume I'm using Skitch 2.0.3. My hope is to develop a method as convenient as Skitch's used to be, via Quicksilver or Automator automation. This is what I tried that resulted in the crash:

1. I made my screen cap with Skitch, annotated it, and used Select All and Copy from its menu.
  2. I pasted it into a blank Photoshop document to confirm that the Copy operation worked (I had never had to use Copy from the Skitch menu, having always just dragged). It worked fine.
  3. After making sure that I had updated Evernote to its latest version, I Quit it and clicked on the Evernote menu icon and selected "Paste to Evernote." I assume that that operation is set to use the default notebook.
  4. It displayed a syncing progress message that never progressed. After a few minutes I clicked the Cancel button.
  5. The OS X crashed system dump dialog appeared after a second. I submitted it with similar notes to these and gave up as I needed to work.
  6. When I restarted Evernote just now, it also asked me to submit a crash report. I'm afraid that I entered the wrong version of Skitch in the notes as v2.0.3. So sorry!
  7. The note I had attempted to paste yesterday is present in the default notebook and Evernote synced without issue. Too late for what I needed but there it is.

Since you may wash your hands of this because I'm not using Mountain Lion and Skitch 2.x, I'll thank you for taking the time to reply but don't expect you to be able to help me with versions you are not supporting.

Do I need to hammer-in further how the new version's workflow is nowhere near the convenience that I have been enjoying from Skitch over the past many years, being a user since it was in beta)? It used to be a matter of seconds to do what your current version's workflow expects users to go through now. That, and the features we've lost make it less desirable. One final note, I almost upgraded the OS when I saw Skitch v2.0.x since I was excited about the possibility of even more awesomeness. It really was the only reason for me to upgrade OS X at this point. I've since decided to wait to see how you fine people handle this.

Happy 2013!

Alberto

@Alberto,

Looking through your steps, I would say this was an error in Evernote 5.x, with 10.6.8 or some combination. Technically in either of our versions of Skitch when you copy & paste you're going through OSX's clipboard system and the snap should be a basic image getting handed from Skitch to the clipboard to Evernote. If you are using a third party tool like Quicksilver or Automator, then they too can be introducing a potential fail into the equation. If you see similar problems with Evernote 5.x then you should open up a technical support ticket with this issue so the problem can be tracked and potentially resolved.

As for Skitch we only support 2.x working on OS X version 10.7.4 and up.

If you don't mind, I'd like to hear more about what workflow you feel is different between versions. Please send me a private message with the details. Thanks.

I had the same problem with Skitch 2.0.3 that I d-loaded from the Evernote site not quitting unless I force quit. 10.8.2

However, I just downloaded it from the Mac store (as was recommended) and it seems to quit correctly. I will let you know if It hangs up again.

Archived