Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Mac 6.13 GA

Idea

Today we're announcing 6.13 GA. Get it here or check for updates in your app. The feature set and fixes are the same as our Beta 5 which was the release candidate we published last week. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team

--------------

6.13 and app updates going forwards will be supported on OS X El Capitan (10.11) and above

Improved

• Sharing: consolidated share options under the "Share" button in Evernote. Share a note, choose to create a public link or modify share permissions all from one place. 
  • Navigation and Commanding UI: we've made some adjustments to provide more space for your content using a narrower toolbar, and making some tweaks to the sidebar to improve legibility. We've also improved the Move Note dialog to make it even faster to move a note across accounts by listing all notebooks from both your business and personal accounts directly in the dialog. 

Fixed
We fixed many issues in this release, here are some of the notable issues addressed. 

• Fixed an issue where notebooks are sometimes duplicated on upgrade
  • Fixed several crashes including intermittent issues around moving notes, app launch, and on PDF annotation
  • Fixed an issue where the Evernote app window sometimes appears black when in full screen mode

--------------

Screenshots

Simplified user interface with a more minimal toolbar 

Evernote.thumb.png.447c0acade124809c7cf003e19afb699.png

Improved sharing dialog 

image.png.e8573c965e87d3794a9fba51cc21e9

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 10

107 replies to this idea

Still no fix for the on-going sync issues? The app still syncs constantly, hanging the app and severely hindering productivity. In the latest release, the preference to allow the user to control how often to sync, or to sync manually, has been removed completely, giving the user no control over the sync function.

As others have noted in previous posts, sync is a critical, game-breaking feature that hasn't worked correctly for awhile now. Can you provide information on what your plans are for fixing the persistent sync issues, and whether you plan to give control of sync back to the user?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't know why anyone expects anything differently. They similarly plowed ahead with the release of the iOS version 8.0 despite so many flaws that were brought up in the beta threads. The forums were flooded with issues and they released. .01 releases every few days trying to fix things.

It is like someone there picks a date, then come hell or high water, THAT. DATE. IS. WHEN. IT. WILL. SHIP. 

And everyone suffers, including the EN programmers scrambling to fix issues foisted on the general public en masse vs actually listening to the beta users and responding to those issues.

It won't change. It hasn't for at least 5 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kremik writes "Search box is toooo small (narrow) if you want to add a notebook to narrow the sarch results it fills the entire field and you can't see what do you search for. "

And I want to add my voice in strong agreement, that I find this a crippling change to the interface.  I can't imagine what a designer would be thinking there.  (Advanced) searching is absolutely critical to non-trivial use of EN, well at least when you've got 1000+ notes, saved searches as search templates, etc.  It's quite disheartening when you're hoping for some fixes and all you get is more broken stuff.  Help!

A great fix would be to have two kinds of search bars in the toolbar customization widget set, a fixed size one, and one that expands like the "Flexible Space".

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

@JMichaelTX & others - Version 6.13 has improved handling for sync from the previous version - that's one of the reasons why we released it!

@Chantal Leonard, first I'd like to thank you for the very quick response to our comments.  I really do appreciate this.

Unfortunately, things get a bit negative from here.  What I don't understand is why you would release a partial set of fixes as a GA release?  Why not issue another Beta, so everyone would know there might still be bugs?

I don't think you guys seem to understand our, your customers, perspective.  We expect a production release (GA), to not have any material bugs (some minor bugs perhaps, but nothing material).  But we especially expect you to NOT release a product with major sync bugs.  Do you understand this?

Why do you guys feel like you must issue production releases so quickly?  Until you guys start releasing a production build with no material bugs, I cannot in good conscience recommend Evernote to my friends and colleagues, or really, to anyone.

3 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

There have been some comments here about the changes in sync behavior - in particular that we sync more frequently. This is one of the improvements we implemented over the last of couple of releases greatly reducing the number of sync conflicts users were sometimes previously experiencing.  

Well, I think nearly everyone would like to reduce sync conflicts.  However, I suspect that many, including myself, strongly disapprove of your method of immediate, constant syncing.  This seems more like a bandaid than a solution.

IAC, if the user has a preference of a sync interval of "none", then you should honor that.  Or for that matter, you should honor whatever interval the user has chosen.  Ironically, you're new method seems to be causing apparent sync conflicts in EN Mac.  Have you seen the reports?  Sometimes, there are several good reasons to NOT sync immediately.  Syncing is very different from local saving.  So yes, I want to save very frequently.  But there are times when I am making major, large changes to a Note that I do NOT want to sync until I am finished.  Do you understand that?

Adding insult to injury, you made these sync changes, and then completely removed the sync interval preference, without so much as a word in the Release Notes / forum post.  How do you explain that?  How do you justify it?  Are you trying to hide it from us?  In case it not obvious, this kind of behavior make us distrust you.

The behavior of the Evernote Development team over the last few months has been more like that of a disorganized startup who thinks the only important thing is to be first out of the gate.  It is very disappointing, and very discouraging.

Please slow down your development/release cycle, and start once again producing a high-quality product that we can rely upon, that we can trust our life's memories with, that we can trust or most critical business ideas with.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the 6.13 final version / Mac.

There is a bug in printing: It doesn't print Note titles :(
Search box is toooo small (narrow) if you want to add a notebook to narrow the sarch results it fills the entire field and you can't see what do you search for. 
I don't know why the font of a notebook and the owner of the note in the Snippet view is sooo big? 

I like ohter changes, but especially printing bug is a pain :(

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 16.48.56.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 16.52.34.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 16.53.56.png

• Like 3

Seriously, how difficult would it have been to fix the ridiculous Notebook font size when you are in snippet view?

• Like 1

On 11/1/2017 at 2:02 PM, Dattwood said:

Please make lists collapsible: We need lists within lists. It's essentially the only thing keeping me from using Evernote for everything.

(Also, tables take up wayyyyyy too much space. The old tables weren't great, but they were smaller.)

(Also, sync issues.)

Thanks for the feedback, I will share the info with the designers (and sorry I don't have feedback for Sync issues, I need a Sync expert to reply to that)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

sorry I don't have feedback for Sync issues, I need a Sync expert to reply to that

ATTN: @Evernote: (  @Chantal Leonard, @Johnathan Hebert, @Jason Miller ) 

You guys must have a very unusual project/team organization.  I would expect those Evernote employees who are responding publicly in forums like this to be in a communication role, with direct access to the dev team.  This would enable the EN forum responders to get information about, and respond to any issue posted here.  But that's just my thoughts.

There are many ways to organize a project, and I don't pretend to tell you how, nor do I really care, as long as Evernote provides quick, clear responses to our questions/issues posted here.

On 11/1/2017 at 3:05 PM, EdH said:

It is like someone there picks a date, then come hell or high water, THAT. DATE. IS. WHEN. IT. WILL. SHIP. 

And everyone suffers, including the EN programmers scrambling to fix issues foisted on the general public en masse vs actually listening to the beta users and responding to those issues.

@Evernote, I don't know if this is what is happening or not, but I can tell you that it certainly appears like that to me as well.

Let me put it like this:  Surely it is clear to Evernote, as it is to your users, that the current development/release process you are using is NOT working very well.  How can you possibly approve of, be proud of, releasing such a buggy product, adversely affecting millions of users???

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nicolml said:

Although we've fixed some sync issues, there are some we still need to address and there are some that are currently being fixed. We believe we have a good grip on the sync issues that are a bigger pain point for our users

That's good, but . . .

WHY have you been releasing production GA versions that you know have these sync bugs????

While we all want to get fixes to the buggy Ver 6.13 GA that you just released, please focus on bug fixes, forget about new features for now, do your job and properly test a build BEFORE you make another GA release.  I can not have any confidence in an Evernote product that has sync issues.  How many times must we repeat:  "Sync is a core Evernote feature, and MUST be rock-solid".  

34 minutes ago, EdH said:

I know, different CEO now, one that I thought was supposed to be better at the day to day management of an org

Yes, Evernote has had a new CEO, Chris O'Neill, for over two years.  So let's focus on his statements and promises.

Directly from Evernote CEO Chris O'Neill on 2015-09-29:

Evernote’s strength is in its core: notes, sync, and search. That’s where we’re going to focus.

Here are two things that you can expect from us over the next several months: we will launch major foundational product improvements around the core features that you care about most, and we will pull back on initiatives that fail to support our mission.

please send your thoughts to me directly at ceochris@evernote.com

Perhaps we should all start emailing Mr. O'Neill, respectfully sharing our issues, our view, and what we would like to see happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Adding insult to injury, you made these sync changes, and then completely removed the sync interval preference, without so much as a word in the Release Notes / forum post.  How do you explain that?  How do you justify it?  Are you trying to hide it from us?  In case it not obvious, this kind of behavior make us distrust you.

My sentiment exactly. That, and the fact that Simplified Formatting is still broken after 4 GA releases, are the main reasons why I'm still on v.6.9.2. I just don't know what to expect from Evernote anymore. I no longer have confidence in the release notes, so I wait for feedbacks from early adopters on this forum, and sure enough each time I see things that suggest I should stay away.

Not that I'm happy with v.6.9.2, which has many shortcomings. But at least it behaves predictably here.

I really like the changes made to the UI, but I would probably be able to enjoy them more if it wasn’t for the following:

- So your "fix" to the constant, non-stop syncing that ignored sync interval preferences was to simply remove the sync interval preferences altogether and basically force users to live with it? Are you trying to disguise a bug you can’t fix as a feature? Cause that’s what it looks like.

- I still get that annoying "waiting for sync" dialog window everytime I quit Evernote, even though all the notes are already synced up and I've set my preferences to give me no warning about active syncing upon quitting. Is that actually supposed to happen?

- As a lot of other people have been reporting for a while now, sometimes the note list goes blank (usually when you switch from an empty notebook - or the empty trash bin - to another one that isn’t empty). The notes are still there and you can still click on them if you place the cursor where they should be, but they aren’t showing.

- Ok, this one is REALLY annoying: Evernote suddenly "forgets" all of my preferences, including font size and display options, reverting everything back to default. Even the welcome popups you get when you open the application for the first time start popping up again. I honestly have no idea what triggers it. Sometimes it happens immediately when I open the application, sometimes it happens during sync and sometimes it happens while I’m in the middle of working on a note, but it happens often. Closing the application and re-opening usually fixes everything and returns my preferences, but something this bad shouldn’t really be happening on a GA release at all. I thought for a moment upon updating to 6.13 that it had been fixed, but now this bug has started rearing its ugly head again. Even more aggravating is that it has been reported before by other users (since the first 6.12 update, I believe, so it has survived two GA releases already) and so far you haven’t even acknowledged it as an issue that exists. This is so annoying that it’s really starting to drive me away from Evernote, which used to be my favorite application on my Mac and one that I use daily.

Chantal,

I sincerely appreciate your commitment to respond to my fellow irate users.

PLEASE  FIX the sync issue. I have submitted a ticket with activity log. As a premium user, since 2009, it is terribly disappointing to see the overall decline in the product recently.

On 11/9/2017 at 10:09 AM, DTLow said:

As users, we can consider what we're willing to pay; except the software is free - we don't pay for it or the upgrades

What about users who actually do pay for the service through the Plus & Premium tiers? Are they not considered paying customers?

7 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Fixed
We fixed many issues in this release, here are some of the notable issues addressed. 

• Fixed an issue where notebooks are sometimes duplicated on upgrade
  • Fixed several crashes including intermittent issues around moving notes, app launch, and on PDF annotation
  • Fixed an issue where the Evernote app window sometimes appears black when in full screen mode

How could you not make a comment about the numerous, very serious, sync issues????

Didn't we make it very clear how critical and important that issue is to us in the numerous Beta threads????

• Like 2

Not fixed: 

1. Sync Issues
    In fact, Preferences no longer allow us to set a sync interval
  2. Note List becomes invisible

I'm beginning to think that some underling from Trump's White House staff has taken over the Evernote team's decision making process. 

You have now, without warning, and after FIVE betas, suddenly taken away all sync options from Preferences in the final release candidate, in a bid, apparently, to cover up the long-standing sync issues you have been unable to cure – and left us only with that ridiculous, superfluous, uncalled for 'Waiting for sync' dialog which insists on popping up on quit, even when no notes have been added or editing changes made.

If you wish to dumb down Evernote further, please be so kind as to inform us of your plans so we no longer have to constantly go through the embarrassment of these exchanges.

We are here, to a great extent, to shepherd you through the beta process. Why are we being treated with such seeming contempt?

• Like 1

It took 5 beta versions of 6.13 and the major bugs STILL haven't been fixed. Sync is still broken. The note list goes blank constantly. But of course the most logical thing to do is make "UI improvements" to the toolbar and the sidebar instead of fixing major glitches right? It's nice to know Evernote has their priorities straight.

Copying Shareable Link from notes that have been previously shared gives ' Note not found' error message in browser. Creating new notes and sharing public links works fine. Stopping the Share and re-enabling appears to be the only way to get it to work again. Using the online version of Evernote, the old shares still work.

In view of the number of complaints about the important unsolved problems (and after 5 betas), it is not unreasonable to think that the evernote team is sleeping with the enemy.
...What a pity!

Well, it is quite impressive that so far only negative posts have been made about the release of 6.13 GA.

It appears we can't down-vote this topic, but we can express our displeasure by selecting the "sad" emoji at the bottom right of the OP:

2017-11-01_13-20-01.png.4a4cfedeff6adadf329fa48884fc089c.png

I don't know that this will help, other than to notify future readers that we have found issues with this release.

• Like 1

Please make lists collapsible: We need lists within lists. It's essentially the only thing keeping me from using Evernote for everything.

(Also, tables take up wayyyyyy too much space. The old tables weren't great, but they were smaller.)

(Also, sync issues.)

In my case, I have a completely EMPTY Evernote... No notes, no files, no tags... nothing. Fortunately, everything is there in the web version, but not on my desktop. Has anyone experienced something similar? Of course the Sync function is not functioning... 

24 minutes ago, pablo67gmailcom said:

Of course the Sync function is not functioning... 

I don't know how to stop the sync function from running.  I make sure I login with the same account/password, and it just runs

Is the activity log showing any errors?

hace 5 minutos, DTLow dijo:

I don't know how to stop the sync function from running.  I make sure I sign o with the same account/password.

Is the activity log showing any errors?

Actually, it seems to be working (it moves!), but there is not any synchronization happening.  No message of error, either: 

Version: Evernote Mac 6.13 (455674) [App Store]
   WebKit: 603.3.8
  WebCore: 603.3.8
Mac Model: MacBookPro9,2
     Date: 2017-11-01 22:17:45 +0000

ynchronizing shared notes
2017/11/01 19:16:28:992 I|*   15274 -[ENSyncEngine _syncStoppedWithErrors:delegate:] | Sync complete. No errors.