Evernote for Mac 6.13 GA

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Today we're announcing 6.13 GA. Get it here or check for updates in your app. The feature set and fixes are the same as our Beta 5 which was the release candidate we published last week. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team

--------------

6.13 and app updates going forwards will be supported on OS X El Capitan (10.11) and above

Improved

• Sharing: consolidated share options under the "Share" button in Evernote. Share a note, choose to create a public link or modify share permissions all from one place. 
  • Navigation and Commanding UI: we've made some adjustments to provide more space for your content using a narrower toolbar, and making some tweaks to the sidebar to improve legibility. We've also improved the Move Note dialog to make it even faster to move a note across accounts by listing all notebooks from both your business and personal accounts directly in the dialog. 

Fixed
We fixed many issues in this release, here are some of the notable issues addressed. 

• Fixed an issue where notebooks are sometimes duplicated on upgrade
  • Fixed several crashes including intermittent issues around moving notes, app launch, and on PDF annotation
  • Fixed an issue where the Evernote app window sometimes appears black when in full screen mode

--------------

Screenshots

Simplified user interface with a more minimal toolbar 

Evernote.thumb.png.447c0acade124809c7cf003e19afb699.png

Improved sharing dialog 

image.png.e8573c965e87d3794a9fba51cc21e9

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

Fixed
We fixed many issues in this release, here are some of the notable issues addressed. 

• Fixed an issue where notebooks are sometimes duplicated on upgrade
  • Fixed several crashes including intermittent issues around moving notes, app launch, and on PDF annotation
  • Fixed an issue where the Evernote app window sometimes appears black when in full screen mode

How could you not make a comment about the numerous, very serious, sync issues????

Didn't we make it very clear how critical and important that issue is to us in the numerous Beta threads????

Still no fix for the on-going sync issues? The app still syncs constantly, hanging the app and severely hindering productivity. In the latest release, the preference to allow the user to control how often to sync, or to sync manually, has been removed completely, giving the user no control over the sync function.

As others have noted in previous posts, sync is a critical, game-breaking feature that hasn't worked correctly for awhile now. Can you provide information on what your plans are for fixing the persistent sync issues, and whether you plan to give control of sync back to the user?

I'm beginning to think that some underling from Trump's White House staff has taken over the Evernote team's decision making process. 

You have now, without warning, and after FIVE betas, suddenly taken away all sync options from Preferences in the final release candidate, in a bid, apparently, to cover up the long-standing sync issues you have been unable to cure – and left us only with that ridiculous, superfluous, uncalled for 'Waiting for sync' dialog which insists on popping up on quit, even when no notes have been added or editing changes made.

If you wish to dumb down Evernote further, please be so kind as to inform us of your plans so we no longer have to constantly go through the embarrassment of these exchanges.

We are here, to a great extent, to shepherd you through the beta process. Why are we being treated with such seeming contempt?

It took 5 beta versions of 6.13 and the major bugs STILL haven't been fixed. Sync is still broken. The note list goes blank constantly. But of course the most logical thing to do is make "UI improvements" to the toolbar and the sidebar instead of fixing major glitches right? It's nice to know Evernote has their priorities straight.

Copying Shareable Link from notes that have been previously shared gives ' Note not found' error message in browser. Creating new notes and sharing public links works fine. Stopping the Share and re-enabling appears to be the only way to get it to work again. Using the online version of Evernote, the old shares still work.

Regarding the 6.13 final version / Mac.

There is a bug in printing: It doesn't print Note titles :(
Search box is toooo small (narrow) if you want to add a notebook to narrow the sarch results it fills the entire field and you can't see what do you search for. 
I don't know why the font of a notebook and the owner of the note in the Snippet view is sooo big? 

I like ohter changes, but especially printing bug is a pain :(

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 16.48.56.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 16.52.34.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 16.53.56.png

• Level 5*

Well, it is quite impressive that so far only negative posts have been made about the release of 6.13 GA.

It appears we can't down-vote this topic, but we can express our displeasure by selecting the "sad" emoji at the bottom right of the OP:

2017-11-01_13-20-01.png.4a4cfedeff6adadf329fa48884fc089c.png

I don't know that this will help, other than to notify future readers that we have found issues with this release.

Please make lists collapsible: We need lists within lists. It's essentially the only thing keeping me from using Evernote for everything.

(Also, tables take up wayyyyyy too much space. The old tables weren't great, but they were smaller.)

(Also, sync issues.)

• Level 5*

I don't know why anyone expects anything differently. They similarly plowed ahead with the release of the iOS version 8.0 despite so many flaws that were brought up in the beta threads. The forums were flooded with issues and they released. .01 releases every few days trying to fix things.

It is like someone there picks a date, then come hell or high water, THAT. DATE. IS. WHEN. IT. WILL. SHIP. 

And everyone suffers, including the EN programmers scrambling to fix issues foisted on the general public en masse vs actually listening to the beta users and responding to those issues.

It won't change. It hasn't for at least 5 years.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, pablo67gmailcom said:

Of course the Sync function is not functioning... 

I don't know how to stop the sync function from running.  I make sure I login with the same account/password, and it just runs

Is the activity log showing any errors?

hace 5 minutos, DTLow dijo:

I don't know how to stop the sync function from running.  I make sure I sign o with the same account/password.

Is the activity log showing any errors?

Actually, it seems to be working (it moves!), but there is not any synchronization happening.  No message of error, either: 

Version: Evernote Mac 6.13 (455674) [App Store]
   WebKit: 603.3.8
  WebCore: 603.3.8
Mac Model: MacBookPro9,2
     Date: 2017-11-01 22:17:45 +0000

ynchronizing shared notes
2017/11/01 19:16:28:992 I|*   15274 -[ENSyncEngine _syncStoppedWithErrors:delegate:] | Sync complete. No errors.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, pablo67gmailcom said:

Actually, it seems to be working (it moves!), but there is not any synchronization happening.  No message of error, either: 

Edited: Listen to @nicolml and try a forced sync first

My self help solution would be to start over.  Clear Evernote from the Mac; app, database, ...

The app AppCleaner is recommended for this.

Reinstall the app, login with the correct userid/password

34 minutes ago, pablo67gmailcom said:

In my case, I have a completely EMPTY Evernote... No notes, no files, no tags... nothing. Fortunately, everything is there in the web version, but not on my desktop. Has anyone experienced something similar? Of course the Sync function is not functioning... 

If Evernote is showing blank, but your content is on ENWEB you might want to try a force sync. Hold down ⌘ Shift on your keyboard and click on the sync wheel. Let me know if that helps. 

18 hours ago, Craig Harry said:

Still no fix for the on-going sync issues? The app still syncs constantly, hanging the app and severely hindering productivity. In the latest release, the preference to allow the user to control how often to sync, or to sync manually, has been removed completely, giving the user no control over the sync function.

As others have noted in previous posts, sync is a critical, game-breaking feature that hasn't worked correctly for awhile now. Can you provide information on what your plans are for fixing the persistent sync issues, and whether you plan to give control of sync back to the user?

I'm sorry you're still experiencing sync issues. Are you able to DM me the details and your activity logs? 

Thanks

18 hours ago, DTLow said:

Not fixed: 

1. Sync Issues
    In fact, Preferences no longer allow us to set a sync interval
  2. Note List becomes invisible

Hey there @DTLow

Are you also able to DM me the details to the sync issue you're having along with your activity log? Thanks!

6 minutes ago, DTLow said:

My self help solution would be to start over.  Clear Evernote from the Mac; app, database, ...

Tried all of that and it did not help...

So I just went back to version 6.12.3 and the sync is back to normal working order :)

6 hours ago, Kremik said:

Regarding the 6.13 final version / Mac.

There is a bug in printing: It doesn't print Note titles :(
Search box is toooo small (narrow) if you want to add a notebook to narrow the sarch results it fills the entire field and you can't see what do you search for. 
I don't know why the font of a notebook and the owner of the note in the Snippet view is sooo big? 

I like ohter changes, but especially printing bug is a pain :(

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 16.48.56.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 16.52.34.png

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 16.53.56.png

Thanks for reporting this. The trifecta here is already logged with our developers and we're aware of these. Hang tight as we're working on a fix. 

1 hour ago, DTLow dijo:

Edited: Listen to @nicolml and try a forced sync first

I have followed your advice, and it seems to be working... The new version is still synching notes (more than 5 GB by now... ). Thanks! 

hace 12 horas, pablo67gmailcom dijo:

I have followed your advice, and it seems to be working... The new version is still synching notes (more than 5 GB by now... ). Thanks! 

Unfortunately, after the synchronization finished, I only found the last 6 notes that I have been working on the web the last hour. Everything else was empty. 

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, pablo67gmailcom said:

The new version is still synching notes (more than 5 GB by now... )

8 minutes ago, pablo67gmailcom said:

I only found the last 6 notes that I have been working on the web the last hour. Everything else was empty.

Over 5GB of empty? Can you see a note count under All Notes

3 hours ago, pablo67gmailcom said:

Unfortunately, after the synchronization finished, I only found the last 6 notes that I have been working on the web the last hour. Everything else was empty. 

@pablo67gmailcom . Are you able to DM me your activity log and a screenshot of what you see in the mac app versus Evernote web? 

1 minute ago, pablo67gmailcom said:

After the second clean installation, it finally worked! 

Thanks for letting me know, and glad you appear to be back on track. If you can still provide your activity logs to help us out, that would be great. I'll DM you instructions. 

On 11/1/2017 at 2:02 PM, Dattwood said:

Please make lists collapsible: We need lists within lists. It's essentially the only thing keeping me from using Evernote for everything.

(Also, tables take up wayyyyyy too much space. The old tables weren't great, but they were smaller.)

(Also, sync issues.)

Thanks for the feedback, I will share the info with the designers (and sorry I don't have feedback for Sync issues, I need a Sync expert to reply to that)

Kremik writes "Search box is toooo small (narrow) if you want to add a notebook to narrow the sarch results it fills the entire field and you can't see what do you search for. "

And I want to add my voice in strong agreement, that I find this a crippling change to the interface.  I can't imagine what a designer would be thinking there.  (Advanced) searching is absolutely critical to non-trivial use of EN, well at least when you've got 1000+ notes, saved searches as search templates, etc.  It's quite disheartening when you're hoping for some fixes and all you get is more broken stuff.  Help!

A great fix would be to have two kinds of search bars in the toolbar customization widget set, a fixed size one, and one that expands like the "Flexible Space".

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jason Miller said:

sorry I don't have feedback for Sync issues, I need a Sync expert to reply to that

ATTN: @Evernote: (  @Chantal Leonard, @Johnathan Hebert, @Jason Miller ) 

You guys must have a very unusual project/team organization.  I would expect those Evernote employees who are responding publicly in forums like this to be in a communication role, with direct access to the dev team.  This would enable the EN forum responders to get information about, and respond to any issue posted here.  But that's just my thoughts.

There are many ways to organize a project, and I don't pretend to tell you how, nor do I really care, as long as Evernote provides quick, clear responses to our questions/issues posted here.

On 11/1/2017 at 3:05 PM, EdH said:

It is like someone there picks a date, then come hell or high water, THAT. DATE. IS. WHEN. IT. WILL. SHIP. 

And everyone suffers, including the EN programmers scrambling to fix issues foisted on the general public en masse vs actually listening to the beta users and responding to those issues.

@Evernote, I don't know if this is what is happening or not, but I can tell you that it certainly appears like that to me as well.

Let me put it like this:  Surely it is clear to Evernote, as it is to your users, that the current development/release process you are using is NOT working very well.  How can you possibly approve of, be proud of, releasing such a buggy product, adversely affecting millions of users???

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

How can you possibly approve of, be proud of, releasing such a buggy product, adversely affecting millions of users???

https://gigaom.com/2014/01/06/evernote-ceo-to-users-well-do-better/

Four years later and nothing has changed. :(

(and yes, I know, different CEO now, one that I thought was supposed to be better at the day to day management of an org vs one flying at 50,000ft all of the time)

Hey everyone,

Although we've fixed some sync issues, there are some we still need to address and there are some that are currently being fixed. We believe we have a good grip on the sync issues that are a bigger pain point for our users, but If you'd like please DM me your activity logs along with your sync observations. The more information I can compile from you the better. I truly appreciate your help with this. 

Thanks again, 

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, nicolml said:

Although we've fixed some sync issues, there are some we still need to address and there are some that are currently being fixed. We believe we have a good grip on the sync issues that are a bigger pain point for our users

That's good, but . . .

WHY have you been releasing production GA versions that you know have these sync bugs????

While we all want to get fixes to the buggy Ver 6.13 GA that you just released, please focus on bug fixes, forget about new features for now, do your job and properly test a build BEFORE you make another GA release.  I can not have any confidence in an Evernote product that has sync issues.  How many times must we repeat:  "Sync is a core Evernote feature, and MUST be rock-solid".  

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, EdH said:

I know, different CEO now, one that I thought was supposed to be better at the day to day management of an org

Yes, Evernote has had a new CEO, Chris O'Neill, for over two years.  So let's focus on his statements and promises.

Directly from Evernote CEO Chris O'Neill on 2015-09-29:

Evernote’s strength is in its core: notes, sync, and search. That’s where we’re going to focus.

Here are two things that you can expect from us over the next several months: we will launch major foundational product improvements around the core features that you care about most, and we will pull back on initiatives that fail to support our mission.

please send your thoughts to me directly at ceochris@evernote.com

Perhaps we should all start emailing Mr. O'Neill, respectfully sharing our issues, our view, and what we would like to see happen.

@JMichaelTX & others - Version 6.13 has improved handling for sync from the previous version - that's one of the reasons why we released it!  There have been some comments here about the changes in sync behavior - in particular that we sync more frequently. This is one of the improvements we implemented over the last of couple of releases greatly reducing the number of sync conflicts users were sometimes previously experiencing.  

That said, we're always looking to improve and make things better, and we've seen some reports since version 6.12 around a specific sync issue and we're looking for logs to help reproduce and narrow in on a fix. If you see a sync error and see the following in your error logs, please take up @nicolml on his offer and send him logs. It'd be hugely helpful. 

[ENSyncEngine(Notes) updateServerNoteFromLocalNoteWithID:resourceFileMap:attemptRetry:] | note exception thrown: <EDAMUserException:

Thanks, and please let us know if you have any questions. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

@JMichaelTX & others - Version 6.13 has improved handling for sync from the previous version - that's one of the reasons why we released it!

@Chantal Leonard, first I'd like to thank you for the very quick response to our comments.  I really do appreciate this.

Unfortunately, things get a bit negative from here.  What I don't understand is why you would release a partial set of fixes as a GA release?  Why not issue another Beta, so everyone would know there might still be bugs?

I don't think you guys seem to understand our, your customers, perspective.  We expect a production release (GA), to not have any material bugs (some minor bugs perhaps, but nothing material).  But we especially expect you to NOT release a product with major sync bugs.  Do you understand this?

Why do you guys feel like you must issue production releases so quickly?  Until you guys start releasing a production build with no material bugs, I cannot in good conscience recommend Evernote to my friends and colleagues, or really, to anyone.

There have been some comments here about the changes in sync behavior - in particular that we sync more frequently. This is one of the improvements we implemented over the last of couple of releases greatly reducing the number of sync conflicts users were sometimes previously experiencing.  

Well, I think nearly everyone would like to reduce sync conflicts.  However, I suspect that many, including myself, strongly disapprove of your method of immediate, constant syncing.  This seems more like a bandaid than a solution.

IAC, if the user has a preference of a sync interval of "none", then you should honor that.  Or for that matter, you should honor whatever interval the user has chosen.  Ironically, you're new method seems to be causing apparent sync conflicts in EN Mac.  Have you seen the reports?  Sometimes, there are several good reasons to NOT sync immediately.  Syncing is very different from local saving.  So yes, I want to save very frequently.  But there are times when I am making major, large changes to a Note that I do NOT want to sync until I am finished.  Do you understand that?

Adding insult to injury, you made these sync changes, and then completely removed the sync interval preference, without so much as a word in the Release Notes / forum post.  How do you explain that?  How do you justify it?  Are you trying to hide it from us?  In case it not obvious, this kind of behavior make us distrust you.

The behavior of the Evernote Development team over the last few months has been more like that of a disorganized startup who thinks the only important thing is to be first out of the gate.  It is very disappointing, and very discouraging.

Please slow down your development/release cycle, and start once again producing a high-quality product that we can rely upon, that we can trust our life's memories with, that we can trust or most critical business ideas with.

2 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

Adding insult to injury, you made these sync changes, and then completely removed the sync interval preference, without so much as a word in the Release Notes / forum post.  How do you explain that?  How do you justify it?  Are you trying to hide it from us?  In case it not obvious, this kind of behavior make us distrust you.

My sentiment exactly. That, and the fact that Simplified Formatting is still broken after 4 GA releases, are the main reasons why I'm still on v.6.9.2. I just don't know what to expect from Evernote anymore. I no longer have confidence in the release notes, so I wait for feedbacks from early adopters on this forum, and sure enough each time I see things that suggest I should stay away.

Not that I'm happy with v.6.9.2, which has many shortcomings. But at least it behaves predictably here.

Thank you, @JMichaelTX for expressing the issue with such patience and lucidity.

It is hard for us users to understand the reluctance the developers have to reverting to previous sync behaviour which allowed us complete control over our notes.

The problem of sync conflicts is surely unrelated to users' sync rhythms, and it would seem to me that having manual control over syncing should, in normal circumstances, reduce the danger of such conflicts. It cannot be such a big ask for the team to deconstruct the heavy handed new sync behaviour and revert to the earlier, non-intrusive method we previously enjoyed.

At the moment it feels like someone on the other end, there in the Evernote dungeons, has blithely assumed they must control our instincts and has got ahold of our mouse.

I have done a lot of beta testing with several developers of different apps and I have never encountered such obtuseness as the recent EN team has displayed, and I have never had to be in such protracted conversations for them to understand my suggestions.

It's all very disappointing. And embarrassing. After being such a fan of Evernote for most of its existence, I am now seeing friends giving up on you in disgust.

Just updated.

1. Is this user profile picture necessary? Perhaps for Evernote Business users that they can easily toggle between accounts, but that doesn't apply to most of your user base. Could we have a way to toggle this (Like we can toggle everything else on the left bar)? I don't need a picture of myself constantly in the top left corner.

2. What is up with the massive username right next to a low-res user icon. It sometimes displays my name and other times the name of the folder -- with no obvious reason.

This is such a great service, please put some more love and care into these releases.

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 8.55.09 AM.png

A couple of UI things I hope the Evernote team can fix asap:

1) The search bar is really squished up to the right. The search bar on the previous version looks and works better, please fix this.

59fc841260634_ScreenShot2017-11-03at22_57_55PM.png.2022b6e751c2787d15e12ad42ba9457c.png

2) The sidebar scroll needs to be fixed, it's really obtrusive now and looks like it's part of the snippet view column

59fc84cf7e45e_ScreenShot2017-11-03at23_00_10PM.thumb.png.4fe68764ff4ce7e6ffdb05411ba6a4ab.png

3) Evernote web clipper saves from YouTube are having their thumbnail images squished up

59fc8520ef437_ScreenShot2017-11-03at22_55_59PM.thumb.png.304d26c5fba8cd757de9fe16447fbe76.png

Outside of the above, I really hope that Evernote can finally develop an iOS web clipper that behaves like the MacOS version. Right up till now I still get poorly saved content that have its formatting wrong.

I am also experiencing poor syncing fidelity between my iOS and Mac Evernote clients. The total number of notes don't tally between them with missing notes amongst them. 

14 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

@JMichaelTX & others - Version 6.13 has improved handling for sync from the previous version - that's one of the reasons why we released it!  There have been some comments here about the changes in sync behavior - in particular that we sync more frequently. This is one of the improvements we implemented over the last of couple of releases greatly reducing the number of sync conflicts users were sometimes previously experiencing.  

That said, we're always looking to improve and make things better, and we've seen some reports since version 6.12 around a specific sync issue and we're looking for logs to help reproduce and narrow in on a fix. If you see a sync error and see the following in your error logs, please take up @nicolml on his offer and send him logs. It'd be hugely helpful. 

[ENSyncEngine(Notes) updateServerNoteFromLocalNoteWithID:resourceFileMap:attemptRetry:] | note exception thrown: <EDAMUserException:

For whatever it's worth, the sync issues coincide with Evernote ceasing to support older versions of macOS. In effect, the last version of Evernote many Mac users will have access to will be an exceptionally buggy one. This seems like unfortunate timing.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, upnix said:

In effect, the last version of Evernote many Mac users will have access to

I have access to many versions of Evernote.  I like to keep current, but I switch between between v6.11 thru 6.13 (my work computer is are still running v6.11)

6 hours ago, hwlhwl said:

A couple of UI things I hope the Evernote team can fix asap:

1) The search bar is really squished up to the right. The search bar on the previous version looks and works better, please fix this.

59fc841260634_ScreenShot2017-11-03at22_57_55PM.png.2022b6e751c2787d15e12ad42ba9457c.png

2) The sidebar scroll needs to be fixed, it's really obtrusive now and looks like it's part of the snippet view column

59fc84cf7e45e_ScreenShot2017-11-03at23_00_10PM.thumb.png.4fe68764ff4ce7e6ffdb05411ba6a4ab.png

3) Evernote web clipper saves from YouTube are having their thumbnail images squished up

59fc8520ef437_ScreenShot2017-11-03at22_55_59PM.thumb.png.304d26c5fba8cd757de9fe16447fbe76.png

Outside of the above, I really hope that Evernote can finally develop an iOS web clipper that behaves like the MacOS version. Right up till now I still get poorly saved content that have its formatting wrong.

I am also experiencing poor syncing fidelity between my iOS and Mac Evernote clients. The total number of notes don't tally between them with missing notes amongst them. 

Thanks for reporting this and welcome to the forum :)
The search bar was something previously mentioned in the forums, and the scroll bar is something new introduced with 10.13, but rest assured we already have a ticket on this and our devs are aware. 

I was able to reproduce the last issue you reported with clipping from Youtube and filed a ticket with our text editor devs. Thanks for pointing that one out!

Em 02/11/2017 at 17:09, Jason Miller disse:

Thanks for the feedback, I will share the info with the designers (and sorry I don't have feedback for Sync issues, I need a Sync expert to reply to that)

Yes, the new tables are great looking. But they leave a huge gap on the top and the botton. Before this new feature, I used a single cell table as a title, like when you merge notes. But now it looks horribly, with a huge empty space after the title.

59fcf66a7a06b_EvernoteTables.png.216a9e8d7f956ecc40ed2cc3cc8cbd83.png

• Ex Employees
34 minutes ago, Eduardo Estefano said:

Yes, the new tables are great looking. But they leave a huge gap on the top and the botton. Before this new feature, I used a single cell table as a title, like when you merge notes. But now it looks horribly, with a huge empty space after the title.

59fcf66a7a06b_EvernoteTables.png.216a9e8d7f956ecc40ed2cc3cc8cbd83.png

Thank you for this feedback. The empty space is for the table UI elements, and then there's a blank line above (and below) that to ensure you can get the cursor ahead of and behind the table. Our text editor team is taking all the feedback of the new tables into consideration, so this is appreciated.

On 11/3/2017 at 12:07 AM, JMichaelTX said:

The behavior of the Evernote Development team over the last few months has been more like that of a disorganized startup who thinks the only important thing is to be first out of the gate.  It is very disappointing, and very discouraging.

This pretty much sums it up.

On 11/2/2017 at 8:59 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Can we get a specific ETA on when the "blank note" issue will be fixed? Having the entire note list go blank constantly is incredibly frustrating. It's been like this for over a month now.

Why God why, with all that you could fix did you monkey with the toolbar and sharing, which (IMO) were not broken?

Meanwhile, I'm still getting this (see screen shot) when I use the reminders dropdown. (which I've had a ticket in on for months.) ??

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 6.15.37 PM.png

Also, just noticed that some of my saved search strings are generating strange results in 6.13.

This string (-reminderTime:day+7) which used to generate overdue reminders and those due in the next 7 days, are now resulting in all sorts of notes that don't fit that criteria.

Attached example where you can see that this search string on 11.04 is generating a note with a reminder due on 12.01.

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 6.40.21 PM.png

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, Steve Lytle said:

Why God why, with all that you could fix did you monkey with the toolbar and sharing, which (IMO) were not broken?

Meanwhile, I'm still getting this (see screen shot) when I use the reminders dropdown. (which I've had a ticket in on for months.) ??

Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 6.15.37 PM.png

That is the reminder screen I was getting. A full exit of Evernote and restart fixed it for me though. Try that. Still shouldn’t happen. 

1 hour ago, EdH said:

That is the reminder screen I was getting. A full exit of Evernote and restart fixed it for me though. Try that. Still shouldn’t happen. 

Thanks. I can get it to go away by refreshing (opening another notebook etc..) or full exit and restart... but it returns. Can replicate repeatedly on both MacBook 2017 and MacBook Pro 2016

14 hours ago, Steve Lytle said:

Thanks. I can get it to go away by refreshing (opening another notebook etc..) or full exit and restart... but it returns. Can replicate repeatedly on both MacBook 2017 and MacBook Pro 2016

I have this problem with Reminders display - I get it to go away by dragging a width adjustment, even the slightest, to that pane (in Side List View) and it always redraws correctly by this action.  I figured it was "my fault" because I have more reminders than will fit without scolling, and so I am very happy to hear it's not just me.  I'm unhappy with the bug - it's disruptive to workflow and just plain jarring.  Older versions didn't do it.  Not sure when it started.

Hi, I don’t use beta versions, so no syncing issues here. So far everything works great for me! I like the updates to the UI, although the search box is very small. Perhaps you could use follow some of the macOS HCI guidelines and allow it to expand when it gains focus?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, SMX-CT said:

Seems like the inmates are running the prison. Watch the meltdown of Evernote in real time. SAD

In that analogy, us users would be the inmates?
And the prison would be Evernote?  
I don't see that we're locked in, its easy to export our data and walk away
I don't see that we're locked in to using v6.13.  If it's not working for me, I'll switch to a previous version.

From the tone of the posts, some are convinced we can do a better job than Chantal but I'm sure that would lead to a meltdown

Also, for those of us that are having some serious issues going from beta to GA release, sometimes you have to uninstall everything, download a fresh copy, and reinstall. I tried one of the beta versions a while back and everything went sideways for me. I had to hunt down every last trace of Evernote on my Mac and delete it in order to make the problem go away… Once I had the fresh, non-beta install on there and my data all synced up again, everything was peachy. 

BTW, I’ve been using Evernote for 6+ years and have 2K+ notes.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

In that analogy, us users would be the inmates?
And the prison would be Evernote?  
I don't see that we're locked in, its easy to export our data and walk away
I don't see that we're locked in to using v6.13.  If it's not working for me, I'll switch to a previous version.

From the tone of the posts, some of us are convinced we can do a better job than Chantal
I'm sure that would lead to a meltdown

Okay -more specifically the programmers are running amuck without proper management and follow through. The decisions being made are bizarre and it appears there is no leadership or proper finish. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, SMX-CT said:

Okay -more specifically the programmers are running amuck without proper management and follow through.

Oh, those inmates.  I'm more familiar with the phrase "inmates at the asylum"

From experience I've learned to hold off on software upgrades until issues get resolved.  Still waiting on some v6.12 issues.

50 minutes ago, DTLow said:

From experience I've learned to hold off on software upgrades until issues get resolved.  Still waiting on some v6.12 issues.

For minor issues this approach makes sense. But let's be honest...some of the current bugs are major issues. How can users trust Evernote when the application keeps breaking in major ways? Currently every time I process my Evernote "Inbox" notebook to 0 and then switch views, the note list goes blank. Users have been reporting this bug for over a month now, and there's still been no acknowledgement from the development team. Why would anyone pay for a yearly subscription when major bugs are not being fixed in a timely manner?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, janstet said:

How can users trust Evernote when the application keeps breaking in major ways?

When I hit a roadblock, a bug with no work around, my solution would be to downgrade to the previous version.  I ran into this a few times wit the Applescript interface

I'm experiencing the blank note list issue.  I opened a ticket (#2223326)and they confirmed the issue

13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

When I hit a roadblock with a bug with no work around, my solution would be to downgrade to the previous version.  I ran into this a few times wit the Applescript interface

You're absolutely right. This is the most logical solution to the problem. In fact it's the only solution currently. But why even release new versions at all then? Beta versions I understand...they are meant for testing. But these are general releases that go out to all users. Why would you knowingly release "updates" that contain very major bugs? It simply doesn't make sense. It's also extremely infuriating for someone who relies on Evernote as part of their system. 

13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm experiencing the blank note list issue.  I opened a ticket and they confirmed the issue

Acknowledging the issue is an important first step. But it's been over a month now and there hasn't been a fix...or even an update on when one will be available. It's disheartening, especially for an app I use every single day.

• Level 5

I am just speechless at this point. People must be running for the exits at Evernote HQ. The "QA" (hah) team simply throws stuff over a wall at us (paying users) and is never heard from again. Bug reports are farting into the wind, peeing into the ocean, whatever. Years of issues left unresolved. Each "release" brings no useful features, just more bugs, toolbars moving around, features silently changed or removed. The core features of the app (note taking + sync) are BROKEN for months with no acknowledgement or announcement of when fixes are coming. I have zero confidence that the outsourced dev team has a clue how to manage this spaghetti code base that's been dropped on them.

I am done. Life must go on and I simply can't waste any more time debugging this program. It's sad. EN was once a shining example of form & function, but it's been neglected and allowed to slowly deteriorate for years. Goodbye Evernote.

On 11/1/2017 at 6:35 PM, nicolml said:

Thanks for reporting this. The trifecta here is already logged with our developers and we're aware of these. Hang tight as we're working on a fix. 

In addition to the Note Title not printing, my headers overall do not show up in the print dialogue box.

Please notify us when a fix is in the works. (Also, is it possible to revert back to version 6.12?) It would be nice to have access to older versions that are solid even though they don't have all of the latest changes.

Thanks,

-- AJD

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, ajdimac said:

Also, is it possible to revert back to version 6.12?

I've always found it easy to revert back to previous versions.  I find it best to revert all components; app, database, ...  The app AppCleaner is recommended for this

You can then reinstall the app and the database will be rebuilt from the servers.  Warning: The rebuild does not include Local Notebooks or unsync'd notes

>>It would be nice to have access to older versions that are solid even though they don't have all of the latest changes.

And you're choosing v6.12?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ajdimac said:

6.12 seemed to be pretty solid. Where would I find the installer?

I have personal backups, and every release notice has a link as per the first post in this discussion  

Today we're announcing 6.13 GA. Get it here

On 11/5/2017 at 5:17 AM, EdH said:

Hi folks - we're targeting this for a dot release soon, please stay tuned. 

On 11/6/2017 at 3:31 PM, DTLow said:

Oh, those inmates.  I'm more familiar with the phrase "inmates at the asylum"

@DTLow can you share out the issues that you're still tracking from 6.12 - would like to help comment and weigh in on which we're already tracking on our end! 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, ajdimac said:

I assume that the  GA v6.13 still includes the header and titles bug, yes?

Confirmed; v6.13 did not include a fix for the header titles bug.  I'm not sure when the bug was first introduced

• Level 5*

@DTLow can you share out the issues that you're still tracking from 6.12 - would like to help comment and weigh in on which we're already tracking on our end! 

Thanks for following up.  For me,  sync issues are at primary, followed by the invisible note list

I'd like to point out my post (discussing prison/asylum) doesn't reflect my attitude on the software issues or Evernote, employees/users.  I'm satisfied with giving the developers time to work out the issues, and appreciate that releases don't necessarily fix every outstanding bug

I really like the changes made to the UI, but I would probably be able to enjoy them more if it wasn’t for the following:

- So your "fix" to the constant, non-stop syncing that ignored sync interval preferences was to simply remove the sync interval preferences altogether and basically force users to live with it? Are you trying to disguise a bug you can’t fix as a feature? Cause that’s what it looks like.

- I still get that annoying "waiting for sync" dialog window everytime I quit Evernote, even though all the notes are already synced up and I've set my preferences to give me no warning about active syncing upon quitting. Is that actually supposed to happen?

- As a lot of other people have been reporting for a while now, sometimes the note list goes blank (usually when you switch from an empty notebook - or the empty trash bin - to another one that isn’t empty). The notes are still there and you can still click on them if you place the cursor where they should be, but they aren’t showing.

- Ok, this one is REALLY annoying: Evernote suddenly "forgets" all of my preferences, including font size and display options, reverting everything back to default. Even the welcome popups you get when you open the application for the first time start popping up again. I honestly have no idea what triggers it. Sometimes it happens immediately when I open the application, sometimes it happens during sync and sometimes it happens while I’m in the middle of working on a note, but it happens often. Closing the application and re-opening usually fixes everything and returns my preferences, but something this bad shouldn’t really be happening on a GA release at all. I thought for a moment upon updating to 6.13 that it had been fixed, but now this bug has started rearing its ugly head again. Even more aggravating is that it has been reported before by other users (since the first 6.12 update, I believe, so it has survived two GA releases already) and so far you haven’t even acknowledged it as an issue that exists. This is so annoying that it’s really starting to drive me away from Evernote, which used to be my favorite application on my Mac and one that I use daily.

Chantal,

I sincerely appreciate your commitment to respond to my fellow irate users.

PLEASE  FIX the sync issue. I have submitted a ticket with activity log. As a premium user, since 2009, it is terribly disappointing to see the overall decline in the product recently.

On 11/7/2017 at 6:09 PM, DTLow said:

Thanks for following up.  For me,  sync issues are at primary, followed by the invisible note list

I'd like to point out my post (discussing prison/asylum) doesn't reflect my attitude on the software issues or Evernote, employees/users.  I'm satisfied with giving the developers time to work out the issues, and appreciate that releases don't necessarily fix every outstanding bug

Absolutely.  As part of the dot release I mentioned above we're planning on pulling in a fix for the top sync issue we're seeing at the moment: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/109929-evernote-for-mac-613-ga/?do=findComment&comment=484348, and will keep the fixes coming.  

I have been making my notes/notebooks publicly available via the share notebook link option. This has worked without a hitch for years but today it is failing with a "Note not found" message when trying to open the link in a browser (see screenshot). 
I noticed that the link generated in the above way adds the following to the link: (null). If I remove this extra bit, I don't get the error message but I am forced into an Evernote account. Interestingly, when I share the note via my iPad (iOS 11) there is no such problem.

Screenshot 2017-11-09 09.33.26.png

On 03/11/2017 at 6:41 AM, JMichaelTX said:

WHY have you been releasing production GA versions that you know have these sync bugs????

I was just doing one of my period forum-skims to see if the Conflicting Changes bug has been mentioned as fixed (not).

In the course of that, I read a few linked articles on the state of Evernote the company, that mentioned how many programmers have left. I wonder if they are now in the horrendous situation that there are not actually people there who deeply understand the codebase, and it's too convoluted to easily fix.

As a developer for over 30 years, I've encountered situations of deep technical debt like that. The prevarication over how many sync bugs have been identified, and which are being fixed fuels my despair and paranoia. From the outside, we can't tell the difference between 

1. Support staff who can't see actual bug reports, or have incoming tickets that are not related to the issues the developers work on, or
  2. A company trying to hide just how broken things are, or
  3. A company who doesn't even know how broken things are because they can't tell how many trouble tickets are the same bug.

(Just in case anyone's looking at my resume, my most recent employer Realm was definitely not in that category of dysfunction).

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, AndyDent said:

I wonder if they are now in the horrendous situation that there are not actually people there who deeply understand the codebase, and it's too convoluted to easily fix.

My impression is that it's a question of costs; how much development/testing to put into a software release.  
Should this be hundreds of hours/$; thousands of hours/$; millions of hours/$?

As users, we can consider what we're willing to pay; except the software is free - we don't pay for it or the upgrades
The company can consider the revenue on a software upgrade; except ....

Evernote 6.13 Cannot access notes from within the app.  I can see it on Evernote web, but it's random.   I have tried reverting to previous versions, uninstalling the app, using mac cleaner, blah, blah.  "Customer Service" contacts are grayed out and creating an actiual service ticket with which to attach activity log(s) does not work either.  But that's ok...I have only lost six years worth of notes!  Feeling a tad snarky!

On 11/9/2017 at 10:09 AM, DTLow said:

As users, we can consider what we're willing to pay; except the software is free - we don't pay for it or the upgrades

What about users who actually do pay for the service through the Plus & Premium tiers? Are they not considered paying customers?

• Level 5*
On 2017-11-12 at 12:51 AM, janstet said:

What about users who actually do pay for the service through the Plus & Premium tiers? Are they not considered paying customers?

imho  Yes, users with plus/premium accounts are paying customers.  
We get the same software at no charge but benefit from extended features

7 hours ago, DTLow said:

imho  Users with Plus/Premium accounts are paying customers.  
We get the same software at no charge but benefit from extended features

Users with Plus/Premium are paying for the service. This is a fact. Not merely an opinion. 

On 11/9/2017 at 10:09 AM, DTLow said:

My impression is that it's a question of costs; how much development/testing to put into a software release.  
Should this be hundreds of hours/$; thousands of hours/$; millions of hours/$?

The company can consider the revenue on a software upgrade; except ....

Can you explain this in light of the above contradiction? It doesn't make any sense to me. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, janstet said:

Can you explain this in light of the above contradiction? It doesn't make any sense to me. 

I'm not sure of what contradiction you're referring to

Yes; Plus/Premium (and Business) accout users are paying customers
- subscription costs for enhansed features  (Which-Evernote-product-is-right-for-me-)
Yes; the software is free
- we don't pay for it, or upgrades
- the company doesn't make direct revenue from software or upgrades

>>Users with Plus/Premium are paying for the service. This is a fact. Not merely an opinion. 

I was agreeing with you on this.  Sorry if it seemed otherwise

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm not sure of what contradiction you're referring to

Yes; Plus/Premium (and Business) accout users are paying customers
Yes; the software is free
- we don't pay for it, or upgrades
- the company doesn't make direct revenue from software or upgrades

The company makes money from "free" users upgrading to the Plus/Premium/Business plans...

Scrolling in Quicklook is broken i.e. after clicking on the eye (Quicklook) in the icon for an attached document, a Quicklook preview of the file is presented but scrolling with the mouse, dragging the scroll marker or clicking in the scroll bar does nothing.

Google Drive integration is still flaky i.e. inserting a file from Google Drive can end up looking three different ways

- long horrible URL (most of the time), this is usually fixed by going to the webclient for Evernote, loading the note & then syncing the desktop client. This results in the option below.

- the actual name of the file (sometimes)

- a file icon showing the name, file type & various options (sometimes)

Another day, another bug. 

Right click on an imported PDF document, select "annotate this PDF", EN crashes. And, not just any basic crash—upon restarting EN, my preferences are forgotten, stock default views (dark sidebar, etc) in place. All notes and notebooks still there.

Seriously, what is going on over there? EN is quickly becoming unusable with one bug after another. Will soon be time to switch to OneNote, as I'm sure many other, more sensible people, have.

Third issue I've found in under 24 hours. What's sad is that I've recommended this software to countless people.

15 hours ago, adorno's gray said:

Another day, another bug. 

Right click on an imported PDF document, select "annotate this PDF", EN crashes. And, not just any basic crash—upon restarting EN, my preferences are forgotten, stock default views (dark sidebar, etc) in place. All notes and notebooks still there.

Seriously, what is going on over there? EN is quickly becoming unusable with one bug after another. Will soon be time to switch to OneNote, as I'm sure many other, more sensible people, have.

Third issue I've found in under 24 hours. What's sad is that I've recommended this software to countless people.

As this is a "premium feature" I expect this to work or I expect my money back. 

Oh Lord, Just had to share this one in the spirit of the rest of the discussion and heck, perhaps others of you have been fighting this too.

I have two Macs both running OS 10.13.1 and both running EN 6.13*.

Today realized that I could open links to Mac filepaths in notes on one machine and not the other.

After a bunch of research that yielded not much, I realized that one Mac was running EN 6.13 direct* (in which filepaths work) while the other was running EN 6.13 App Store (in which filepaths DO NOT currently work). Once I ditched the App Store version and reloaded direct version, I was once again able to open links to Mac filepaths. Arg.

Oh Evernote, how you test my sanity sometimes. I find it laughable that I have to change my workflow depending on the source of the current version I happened to have downloaded on a particular machine.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, Steve Lytle said:

Oh Evernote, how you test my sanity sometimes. I find it laughable that I have to change my workflow depending on the source of the current version I happened to have downloaded on a particular machine.

I think you can blame Apple for this.  Apple has imposed more severe restrictions on apps put in the Mac App Store that what will actually run on a Mac.  This is the reason that many developers do not put their app in the App Store.

Why the Mac App Store Doesn"t Have the Applications You Want 

The main reason many apps aren’t available on the Mac App Store is the “sandboxing” requirement. As on Apple’s iOS, apps listed in the Mac App Store must run in a restricted sandbox environment. They have only a tiny little container they have access to, and they can’t communicate with other applications. They can’t access all the files on your computer — if they want to access a file, they have to pop open an Open dialog and you have to choose that specific file.

20 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

I think you can blame Apple for this.  Apple has imposed more severe restrictions on apps put in the Mac App Store that what will actually run on a Mac.  This is the reason that many developers do not put their app in the App Store.

Sincere thanks for that accountability. (I do appreciate it.) Happy to stand corrected on that front. 

Now when you paste anywhere inside a paragraph (except at the very start or very end of it), the cursor immediately jumps all the way to the very end of the paragraph after the text is pasted (instead of remaining at the end of the newly-pasted text, which is the correct behavior and the way it used to work). This is extremely annoying. Am I the only one with this bug or are other people seeing this too?

The couple of other annoying issues that I have noticed so far have already been mentioned before in this thread and acknowledged by the developers.

I don't see what all the fuss is about w.r.t. the current syncing behavior — it's working perfectly fine for me, and I actually prefer more frequent syncing...

I keep hearing about sync fixes.

Has the Conflicting Modifications bug been fixed (Ticket# 2188207)?

Is there any way for me to check the status of a bug - I don't think so?

I am stuck on 6.11 Mac.

I am scared that at some point I'm going to have to upgrade for compatibility and then will have to leave Evernote.

With my 33,000+ notes I already have had to give up on using Evernote on iOS to compose notes as it's unusable for editing - I write in something else then paste.

If that happens to Mac as well I will have to be gone. Sad end to years of being a Premium user and staunch advocate. 

I am an incredibly busy person. You have to annoy me with very bad service to get me to spend time writing these kind of posts.

Archived