Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Mac 6.11 Beta 2 Released

Idea

Hi folks,

Excited to announce Evernote for Mac, version 6.11 Beta 2! You can download it here.

In this Beta, we've made changes which we think will improve the workflows the beta community had noted affected them as a result of the work we've done to more clearly separate business and personal content. We embarked on this change because we do not make the separation clear enough today for users, and make it difficult to make the right distinction between where a user's notes will be/should be placed (business notes are owned by the business, and that has a number of implications.) We're keen to understand if these changes improve your workflows, and any suggestions you have for improving these or other tasks across business and personal.

• When switching between business and personal, we'll restore previously opened single note windows
  • Use the keyboard shortcut or new right-click menu option to move notes more quickly across business and personal

589967fd5c445_ScreenShot2017-02-06at9_40_41PM.png.c6fbc7da235bb43c54d091d29daaf0e6.png

• We've made it easier to start a search in your other account by providing a link to searching in that context

58996914ef034_ScreenShot2017-02-06at10_08_24PM.png.cadfe9c7d8b493b64e42e7faa58d480b.png

We're looking forwards to hearing what you think, and if these changes improve your workflows compared to Beta 1 and 6.10.

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Mac team

Version 6.11 Beta 2 Release Notes

New:

• Support for Tabs on macOS 10.12. Reduce clutter and organize your windows using tabs instead of separate windows. Create a new tab by selecting File > New Tab. This is not supported on older versions of macOS.
  • Business and personal notes are now separated. You only see what you need, when you need it, making it easier to browse and search to find what you need, and create notes in the right place. Just click the user name in the toolbar, if you want to switch to another account.

Improved:

• Single note windows are restored when opening the app or when switching between Business and Personal.
  • More quickly move your notes across Business and Personal by using the Ctrl+Option+⌘+M shortcut or selecting that option directly from the right-click menu.
  • More quickly start searching in Business when in Personal (or vice versa) by using the added entry point in search suggestions.
3 people like this

70 replies to this idea

7 hours ago, caledavis said:

I, too, am very upset that my once-Local notebook is syncing with Evernote's web service and I cannot figure out how to turn it off. I want my notes on my computer, and definitely not stored in the 'cloud'.

My recent experiences with Evernote—this unrequested syncing and inability of highlight PDFs—has made me actively start looking elsewhere.

I used Evernote for years, but lately it has caused me significantly more frustration than warranted for what it is meant to do. If I could retrograde to the version I was using three years ago, I would. It worked well.

Evernote: Please—

1. Turn off syncing of local notebooks;
  2. Fix the bug that prevents me from annotating PDFs.

It is a beta. Errors happen. This error should not have happened, but it did, and it is a beta. You shouldn't be using beta software if you are only ok to accept some errors and bugs, but not others. The warnings when you clicked the beta box were very clear on this.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, zonderkoolzuur said:

That's indeed true. But I trust that Evernote will be removing my local notebook from the cloud in the near future so it can be back to being 'local'.

I have every confidence they will. Monitor this thread or the next beta update to see how they rectify the matter.

17 minutes ago, EdH said:

I have every confidence they will.

Sorry, but I don't share your confidence.

It's  a complex problem.  Not only are the Local Notebooks (LNB) now in the Evernote Cloud in your active Notes, but they are also in the Note History, and internal backups that Evernote makes.  Also, the LNB (from each device) are now on every device where you have an Evernote account.

I hope Evernote will be able to remove all of these LNB copies, but I'm not counting on it until I see it.
(Of course, since I determined long ago that using EN Beta versions are far too risky, I have NOT installed this, or any other EN Beta, for many years.  My thanks do go to you brave souls who test the Beta's, to identify bugs and bad behavior before it goes into production.)

25 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

It's  a complex problem.  Not only are the Local Notebooks (LNB) now in the Evernote Cloud in your active Notes, but they are also in the Note History, and internal backups that Evernote makes.  Also, the LNB (from each device) are now on every device where you have an Evernote account.

I hope Evernote will be able to remove all of these LNB copies, but I'm not counting on it until I see it.
(Of course, since I determined long ago that using EN Beta versions are far too risky, I have NOT installed this, or any other EN Beta, for many years.  My thanks do go to you brave souls who test the Beta's, to identify bugs and bad behavior before it goes into production.)

I'd be surprised of data was internally backed up. Evernote has over 3 petabytes of data. I am sure they are massively reduntant but I don't see how they could ever implement a backup routine that would matter. I could be wrong.

Assuming all data is in some form of live data, they know what they have that should be "local only" based on the flag in the Mac client - or can get that if they don't. Then, you just remove it from everywhere while telling the Mac client with the bug to retain it locally. That will wipe it from their servers and all of your other devices.

ANd remember, only beta users are affected by this, and I am not sure how many people have local only notebooks. I suspect this problem is far FAR less than 1% of users given it is:

1. Mac client bug
  2. A beta bug to boot
  3. You have to have a local notebook to be affected

I am not saying there is a switch to flip to fix it - it could be tricky on their end to ensure the purge without removing it from all of your clients as it should be retained on one, but I seriously doubt any of their storage medium is permanent (like an optical drive storage) or offline (like a tape) where your content could linger for years.

42 minutes ago, JMichaelTX said:

It's  a complex problem.

I don't know how complex the issue is but I will say that when it occurred on the Windows platform EN took it very seriously and reached out to those of us affected by PM and had us validate a fix in literally a couple of days.  Hopefully it will get resolved quickly again.

That said, it was this issue that convinced me to stay away from the beta track for a while.

1 person likes this

On 2/20/2017 at 3:46 PM, s2sailor said:

I don't know how complex the issue is but I will say that when it occurred on the Windows platform EN took it very seriously and reached out to those of us affected by PM and had us validate a fix in literally a couple of days.  Hopefully it will get resolved quickly again.

Well, it's been 3 business days since I created the ticket and I haven't heard a thing. So I'm not sure how seriously they're taking the issue on the Mac.

(re: Local notebooks syncing with the cloud)

1 person likes this

On 2017/02/17 at 7:00 PM, DTLow said:

It does require a certain frame of mind to be participating in beta testing.  Downgrading seems to be a good solution for you

While I don't agree with @stafmans tone, I do agree with his sentiment. This is a beta thread for a beta version of the application.

If anything, they should be providing a more extensive list of bug fixes and changes instead of a selective list than on a GA announcement thread. This would allow the beta testers to actually test these fixes and changes instead of incidentally coming across them during general use. It would also allow them to test if any of these changes indirectly affect other areas of the application. This would help in preventing the terrible regression bugs that EN always seems to have.

Ideally, all of this testing would and should be done by EN's in-house QA testers, but unfortunately that does not seem to be the case.

@Chantal Leonard did mention they'll try to improve in this area in the next beta, so lets hope for the best.

On 2017/02/17 at 1:45 PM, stafmans said:

@JMichealTX: thanks for listing the 6.10 bugs and pointing out 6.11 is not going to bring any relief in useablility. Just followed your downgrade instructions to 6.9.2 and am sooo relieved: I can do simple cut-and-paste between my notes again! Seems I have to sit out at least 6.10 and 6.11 with 6.9.2 to have a useable app. Pity Evernote is stumbling downhill like this.

I am also still on 6.9.2 and I've not upgraded further because of various bugs.

It's a sad state of affairs when I have lost so much confidence in EN's ability to release a stable version that I am afraid of actually upgrading. What's even more disheartening is that a lot of these bugs are previously fixed bugs and very basic things like cut and paste and general navigation and text selection errors.

Surely even the most basic of internal testing would highlight these issues and regression testing would highlight errors with previously fixed bugs. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to any thorough testing happening internally at EN. This makes me concerned about their development cycle.

Typically as an end-user, I should not have to ever concern myself with issues like these. However, with the lack of confidence I currently have in EN and their ability to update their software, I have to.

1 person likes this

I am also affected by the bug of local notebooks being synced. There is no way to stop this. 

I tried downgrading to 6.10 and 6.11 beta 1, but am told that these versions are not able to read my notebooks (which I guess have been converted into a newer 6.11 beta 2 - compatible format).

Could EN maybe comment on how quickly they can release a version that will stop the sync-ing of local notebooks?

Just now, Christos said:

I tried downgrading to 6.10 and 6.11 beta 1, but am told that these versions are not able to read my notebooks (which I guess have been converted into a newer 6.11 beta 2 - compatible format).

You have to downgrade both your software and database

I use the AppCleaner app to remove Evernote from my Mac
Then I reinstall the app and the database is rebuilt from the servers
Warning: The rebuild doesn't included local notebooks or unsynced notes

Well, the problem is that I have mostly local notebooks, and it is those that I am trying to stop from being synced to the cloud.

Using current beta, when I "Copy Note Link" from Note Menu, that link is NOT a local EN link, and does not work in other apps on the mac (Fantastical, 2Do) to open my note in EN. Instead, I get a new tab opening in Safari, requiring me to log in to see anything further!

14 hours ago, pdadoc2 said:

Using current beta, when I "Copy Note Link" from Note Menu, that link is NOT a local EN link, and does not work in other apps on the mac (Fantastical, 2Do) to open my note in EN. Instead, I get a new tab opening in Safari, requiring me to log in to see anything further!

It has been that way for years on the PC client. Are you sure that is new to the Mac beta?

on the PC you can hold the CTRL key down when selecting copy note link and it will do the old style evernote:\\ link. I am not near my Mac right now but I suspect it will do the same. 

I haven't used links for awhile, but wanted to use them more now. It used to be that holding Option key when selecting copy note link would do exactly that, but that no longer seems to work. It just copies a "full"url, which DOES seem to work in opening the link directly in EN IF already in EN. But on other apps, no longer working, which would seem to be a significant step backwards.

17 hours ago, pdadoc2 said:

1 hour ago, pdadoc2 said:

I haven't used links for awhile, but wanted to use them more now. It used to be that holding Option key when selecting copy note link would do exactly that, but that no longer seems to work. 

Pressing the option key works for meUntitled.jpeg.a307d30ff47eddbd6f665daade775473.jpeg
The menu text changes to Copy Classic Link
and the evernote:///view/.... link is copied

1 person likes this

Thanks- can you confirm you're using Mac version 6.11 beta 2? When I hit the option key, it does not change to classic (it used to!).

4 hours ago, pdadoc2 said:

Thanks- can you confirm you're using Mac version 6.11 beta 2? When I hit the option key, it does not change to classic (it used to!).

I think this is a UI bug/design issue.

If you right-click the note, then Option Key, it will change to classic note link, but no matter what you do, the Note menu in the menu bar will not change, which is inconsistent behavior.

EDIT: Check out that from the menu. I am back on my PC and CTRL modifies the behavior of what is copied on both the menu Note|Copy Note Link and the right-click menu, but in neither case does it change what the menu shows while it is doing it.

It could be the Mac is doing the classic note link from the menu and just not changing the menu. I didn't test the paste result in a text editor.

1 person likes this

WOW- Thank you! So I just confirmed that if I do as you suggested, and control click a note, then hold down option key, it DOES change to classic link, and I can paste that in another app to refer directly back to EN. However, I also confirmed that if I use Menu and Click on Note--> Copy Note Link, clicking on option key does NOT change to classic link, and it just copies the full (not classic) URL. 

Definitely buggy... I hope EN support is monitoring this and will acknowledge/ fix this!

1 person likes this

Yup. Right-clicking should not be the only way to get the classic link. That is a MAJOR pain if you have the note open in a window and you have changed to someplace entirely different in the main EN window then need to go find the note you are in just to get the classic link. Should be fixed so you can access from the Mac menu bar.

It's not unusual for me to have multiple Note Windows from different Personal and/or Business Notebooks open at once, some with multiple tabs.

When I with switch between Personal and Business, then back to Personal again, I am losing context (not Evernote Context, but the Notes I have open). For example, in the first screenshot, I have caught the list of open Personal Notes, before switching to my Business Account. When I switch back to Personal, I have the same number of Windows open, but that are all duplicates of, what appears to be, the last active window. Hopefully that explains what I mean by context in this instance.

Now please forgive me if I am jumping the gun, because you do seem to be on the path to where I would like to see the product - where I could retain open Windows (and Tabs) when I switch between Personal and Business - something which is a bit onerous in the most recent beta version.

Keep up the great work.

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 10.20.24 am.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 12.57.11 pm.png