Evernote for Mac 6.9 Released

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi everyone,

The Mac client team is pleased to announce the release of Evernote for Mac v6.9. This is an amalgam of the work from Beta 1 & Beta 2 with a few additional bug fixes. Thanks all very much for your helping in identifying issues and providing feedback for the two Betas, the product is better as a result!  

You can download the new version here or from within the app and shortly from the App Store too. 

Version 6.9 

This version of Evernote is supported on Mac OS X v10.10 and higher.

New:

• Evernote will launch automatically when your computer starts. You can change this in Preferences.
  • Search for Google Drive documents by title.
  • The note title and share bar will stay visible at the top of the page when you scroll through a note.
  • Open a note link in a separate window from the note you are viewing by choosing this option when you right click the link.
  • Premium document search now lets you search within attached text files. Supported file types include .txt, .html, .java and .log.

Fixed:

• You can edit keyboard shortcuts in Preferences.
  • Hidden items in your left sidebar like shortcuts and recents will now stay hidden when you relaunch Evernote.
  • Tags you add or remove from a note will now sync across your devices.
  • Various crash and data sync issues were fixed.

42 replies to this idea

On 21.9.2016 at 6:43 PM, bambooparadox said:
BUG Replacing Text in Table moves it outside of Table
▶︎ Steps to reproduce the behavior:
a) add a new note
B) add a 1x1 table (1 cell)
c) add "Text" in this cell and format it bold
d) select all content (cmd-A) and copy selection (cmd-C)
e) place cursor at beginning of content
f) insert clipboard (cmd-V)
g) select "Text" in first table and copy selection (cmd-C)
h) replace selection (cmd-V)
▶︎ Result:
"Text" is now outside of table (before).

BUG still exists in EN 6.9.1

Why change how the in-page bookmark hyperlink behave?

<a href="#some-anchor">Text</a>

It used to work as expected (clicking on the link jumps/scrolls to the labeled part of the note) and I have used it to implement in-note Table of Content and such. At that time clipping webpages with similarly structured TOC also worked well. But this is gone for some reason in 6.9 (still worked at 6.8) and I wonder why? Considering how universal this kind of bookmark/anchor is in the general world of HTML/XML, it's surprising to see it taken out suddenly.

Edited: Instead of opening the marked "#some-anchor", a link like this is opened instead:

file:///Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Resources/common-editor-mac/mac.xhtml#toc:some-code

Why this?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, frogwell said:

;;;  But this is gone for some reason in 6.9 (still worked at 6.8)

+1  I also make use of the hyperlink code.  Please fix this

In-page bookmark hyperlinks is a long requested feature.  Could you share the process you used to insert the code?
edited:  I got it 
https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/83621-create-jump-links-in-your-notes-with-elin/?do=findComment&comment=356405

I am having a printing issue. When printing an all text based note, I sometimes receive a blank print out. See first image below. (Text in the note, but nothing prints.) 

2016-09-19_21-00-36.jpeg

After clicking on several other notes and then coming back to this note, the text magically appears when I attempt to print the note. See second image below. Please fix, was not an issue in 6.8.

2016-09-19_20-47-12.jpeg

BUG Backspace does not respect Cell boundaries in a Table
a) add a new note
c) add "Text" in this cell
d) place cursor on beginning of cell (before "Text")
e) hit <backspace>-key
▶︎ Result:
"Text" is now outside of table (before).
With multiple cells in a table, "Text" will be moved to previous cell.
BUG Replacing Text in Table moves it outside of Table
a) add a new note
c) add "Text" in this cell and format it bold
d) select all content (cmd-A) and copy selection (cmd-C)
e) place cursor at beginning of content
f) insert clipboard (cmd-V)
g) select "Text" in first table and copy selection (cmd-C)
h) replace selection (cmd-V)
▶︎ Result:
"Text" is now outside of table (before).
Em 10 de setembro de 2016 at 02:11, bambooparadox disse:

EN v6.9 does launch automatically when the computer starts, even if the option is turned off!
I have tried turning the option on or off - it always launches automatically.

(OS X 10.11.6 on a MacBook Air an MacBook Pro)

Same here [3] (OS X 10.11.6, Mac Mini)! And I hate this, because it turns everything slow when Mac is starting! Evernote was a absolutely perfect product and now just getting worse and worse. What is happening...

On 21.9.2016 at 6:42 PM, bambooparadox said:
BUG Backspace does not respect Cell boundaries in a Table
a) add a new note
c) add "Text" in this cell
d) place cursor on beginning of cell (before "Text")
e) hit <backspace>-key
▶︎ Result:
"Text" is now outside of table (before).
With multiple cells in a table, "Text" will be moved to previous cell.

BUG still exists in EN 6.9.1

Is it just my imagination or did a tag just auto populate based on the URL? I just saved a simplified page from The Washington Post and my Washington Post tag was just... there. Just POOF! Inserted. NOT complaining. It's AWESOME. But... is that a thing now? And if it isn't, is it a preference? Or COULD it be? HUGELY helpful.

Evernote has gotten glitchy when it comes to annotating pdfs. I cannot highlight text. Maybe 1 out of every 10 times it will let me activate the highlighter on the pdf I am trying to annotate. The 'annotate entire as PDF' prompt no longer comes up either. Only noticed this with Sierra.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, isaac.joseph said:

Same problem as  @JulienB, @javalife , and @luckman212here. Would really appreciate a fix, as this is kind of a critical flaw for using Evernote, as I heavily use Latexit to paste in images. 

If this  is the image stretching problem, it's reportedly fixed in the latest beta version

When pasting an image from clipboard, the image size does not stretch to fit the window width anymore. That bug is fixed.

But the size is still not right. It is the double size of original image on browser. Is that related to retina display somehow?

On 19/09/2016 at 8:56 AM, frogwell said:

It used to work as expected (clicking on the link jumps/scrolls to the labeled part of the note) and I have used it to implement in-note Table of Content and such. At that time clipping webpages with similarly structured TOC also worked well. But this is gone for some reason in 6.9 (still worked at 6.8) and I wonder why? Considering how universal this kind of bookmark/anchor is in the general world of HTML/XML, it's surprising to see it taken out suddenly.

Edited: Instead of opening the marked "#some-anchor", a link like this is opened instead:

file:///Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Resources/common-editor-mac/mac.xhtml#toc:some-code

Why this?

@frogwell & @DTLow I'm not sure if we're asking the same thing, but please see my question here about clipping webpages with in-page hyperlinks i.e. Wikipedia articles: 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

This is an amalgam

Do you really think mixing Evernote with Mercury is safe?  See Amalgam :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist the play on words. ;)

Does Ver 6.9 have all of the new features introduced in the Ver 6.9 betas?
Do the "New" and "Fixed" sections of Ver 6.9 refer to new and fixed since Ver 6.8?

7 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

The note title and share bar will stay visible at the top of the page when you scroll through a note.

@Chantal Leonard, I like this feature but would like to suggest adding a bit of contrast colour to the note title bar when scrolling (maybe a slight greyish tinge like how this quote title and content is being diffrentiated). It appears a little confusing at times. For instance, if I scroll down to a point in the document, depending on the formatting conditions, the document may appear to begin at that point even though the scroll bar is visible on the side. When multitasking between different applications, this may lead to confusion as one might forget that the current viewpoint of the note is not viewing the beginning of the note.

• Level 5*

I can consistently get this to crash when opening a 256bit encrypted PDF file. The same file opens fine on iOS and Windows. I sent the crash report in via the dialog box when it relaunched. If I need to PM it to someone, let me know.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, davidtderrick said:

I STRONGLY echo that request. On very long note of many pages, it's extremely irritating to have the title constantly visible, like it's following you around. I know where I am without this. It takes up valuable screen space too. It also makes it impossible to see at a glance whether you're at the beginning of a note or not. Lastly, but this is a lesser point, it's a bit close to the note: the spacing is not elegant.

Please give us an option to turn this feature off.

Definitely to each their own. I hated not having it there, having to scroll back to the top for some key info I had in the note title.

@davidtderrick and @EdH; the fixed title thing is poorly implemented; as I suggested for b2, some sort of delineation of the title region of the window is needed; it looks bad now as scrolling occurs.

BTW I don't think anything has changed since b2; the problems reported for b2 are still there. What is the point of commenting on changes if the developers do not act on the comments?

Problem report: Editing links in notes fails; note display text is replaced by new URL

[This is a repeat report of a problem I noted with 6.9b1 and 6.9b2. :angry:]

Steps to reproduce:

1. Select text in a note; Format/Link/Add... (command K) menuchoice; type or paste URL or Evernote note link; press return or OK button.

Result: selected text is now underlined/blue if URL or green if Evernote link, and clicking on it goes to the linked object. (As expected, :)).

2. Select the text from step 1 (underlined/blue); Format/Link/Add... (command K) menuchoice; select URL (as entered from step 1), edit the URL or paste in a new one; press return or OK button.

Result: the link display text that was selected previously is replaced by the new URL or Evernote link, which becomes an active link. The formerly displayed text is gone. :(

Expected result: the link display text should remain unchanged and the new or edited URL or Evernote link should be active.

Implication: in 6.9 it is impossible to edit a link without destroying the displayed text. :angry:

To the developers: what is the point of our commenting on problems in your betas if you don't fix the problems, especially when they are reproducible. :excl:

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, davidtderrick said:

There are several distinct points here -- I hope Evernote is reading the whole of this. We don't see the title when we print. We are forced to see it when we are working on it and scrolling up and down -- irritating with a long note, but some like to see it, so it should be hideable. We can't, now, see at a glance when we're at the top of a note. And, as wb points out, it doesn't even look good as scrolling occurs: the change has been badly implemented.

I've posted the two feature requests below
Please use the voting buttons (upper left corner of the post) to indicate your support

• Level 5
On 9/8/2016 at 8:37 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Fixed:

• You can edit keyboard shortcuts in Preferences.

I found a problem with this new keyboard shortcut system!  If you try to clear them in Preferences by pressing the "X" next to each action, it actually sets the shortcut to the letter "A" with no modifiers.

4MEmCZjXqK8aKB2fMAQfRsFeExgZNA.png

This causes a problem since now whenever the "a" key is pressed, it triggers the functions (create new note, etc).  Luckily I had another Mac that I hadn't tinkered with yet and was able to dig into the .plist to find the correct setting to mean "disable shortcut" and I ran these commands with Terminal:

defaults write com.evernote.evernote "ShortcutRecorder fullscreenshot" -dict keyCode -1 modifierFlags 0 modifiers 0
defaults write com.evernote.evernote "ShortcutRecorder newnote" -dict keyCode -1 modifierFlags 0 modifiers 0
defaults write com.evernote.evernote "ShortcutRecorder newnotewindow" -dict keyCode -1 modifierFlags 0 modifiers 0
defaults write com.evernote.evernote "ShortcutRecorder pasteboard" -dict keyCode -1 modifierFlags 0 modifiers 0
defaults write com.evernote.evernote "ShortcutRecorder screenshot" -dict keyCode -1 modifierFlags 0 modifiers 0
defaults write com.evernote.evernote "ShortcutRecorder search" -dict keyCode -1 modifierFlags 0 modifiers 0

After running those, here's how the shortcut window looks:

0umnpeHdm60zLerOdVotE0sqi5hDbd.png

The only cosmetic problem with this is that there is a subtle hint text now in the QuickNote window that displays a null character. This entire line should really be hidden if the shortcut is disabled:

Ewjhe9gAoJ33v4nOv4IL2IJNQDRNwS.png

Please fix this! (I am running v6.9.453991-Direct btw)

(sorry for the huge screenshots, that's how the forum displays them from my retina screengrabs...)

Hi

Since upgrading from 6.7 to 6.9 (sorry, I did not install 6.8) , the way images are handled through drag and drop seems to have changed, for they are now integrated in much bigger size.

For instance, I use Latexit to create Latex formula and then put into my notes. Please note that the image are exported into PNG.

Previously, it was rendered as shown in the first screenshot provided.

But since I upgrade to 6.9, I have a very bad rendering, as shown in second screenshot, with formula too big to be useful.

Granted, I could resize the image but :

- that is an useless extra step for me

- I often use simple formula (such as K) inline, and its size is now clearly too big (the height of the line is much bigger after the drag and drop than before), _but_ the image is too small to be resized (the blue square do not show the usual bottom-right circle used to resize). For an example see the 2 last screenshots.

Do Evernote team intend to correct this ? I use Evernote very heavily to take scientific notes...

Thanks

Evernote_Premium.png

Evernote_Premium.png

Evernote_Premium.png

Evernote_Premium.png

On 9/10/2016 at 8:54 PM, DTLow said:

Not sure what the intent was for the Note Title when printing.  

Previously, the title printed.  With this release, the title no longer prints.

This is something I would like to see fixed...print option?

@DTLow thanks. Even if we can only upvote once, I clicked a dozen times, for my own sanity. Reading @davidtderrick was like reading my own mind. I spent 20 minutes yesterday going through all the menus and preferences, and did again today, in case I missed something. Today, I have been typing all my notes in a text edictor, and then pasting them in EN, never scrolling. Thanks again!

Archived