cifip

Evernote v8.0 for iOS Released

Idea

Hi all,

We released Evernote for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch v8.0 earlier today.

Evernote 8.0 is a complete redesign emphasizing speed and simplicity. Capture your thoughts with ease, and find what you're looking for faster than ever. Bring beauty and clarity to your notes with an improved editing experience. In addition, this new app will lay the foundation for us to more easily build the features you've been requesting. We’re really excited, and we hope you are too.

What's New in Evernote 8.0:

• Quickly navigate between main sections of the app with the tab bar
    • Sections: Notes, Search, Note Creation (+), Shortcuts, and Account
    • Work Chat is now found inside the Account tab
    • Tag management has been moved into Account tab > Settings > Manage Tags
      • This is a simplified list, where you can delete tags or add a tag to Shortcuts

• Find your content more easily with the new note list
    • Browse notes and identify your images quickly with newly designed note previews
    • Switch between small, medium (default), or large previews by tapping Note List Options (in the overflow ‘…’ menu)
      • Medium and Large previews will show up to three thumbnails in the note list
      • You can still control sort order and whether or not to view images or snippet text
    • Filter a note list by pulling down slightly to expose a search box, tag filter, and reminder filter
    • Filter by tags: Tap the tag icon to select and apply tag filters
      • After selecting a tag, a filtered list of remaining tags are shown if you wish to refine further
    • Filter by reminders: Tap the reminder icon to view just your reminder notes
    • Manually sync: Pull down on the note list

• Switch between notebooks quickly
    • The notebook list is now opened from the top of the note list
    • When you first launch Evernote 8.0, you'll see All Notes at the top with a down arrow - tap that to open the notebook list including All Notes and Reminders collections
    • Tap the name of the notebook at the top of the screen to get to your notebook list
    • Swipe left on a notebook or stack to expose the settings button: use this to open notebook or stack settings to rename, add to stack, add to shortcuts, or change sharing permissions

• Create new notes with a multi-function + button
    • Tap the (+) button (aka new note skittle) to get right into the note editor
    • Long-press on the (+) button and drag to quickly create Audio, Photo, or Reminder notes
    • Or long-press on the (+) button and release to view these note creation options then tap the one you want
    • Swipe the keyboard down to save your note and enter View mode
    • Tapping Done will save and sync your note
      • If you leave your note title and note body empty, the note will be automatically removed

• Beautify your notes with a better formatting and styling options
    • On top of the keyboard, you'll see the new formatting navigation bar
      • ABC is the main keyboard
      • Next is the primary formatting button - this opens the formatting menu in the keyboard area
        • Change font style to bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, or highlight
        • Change text size to small, medium, or large
        • Change text color! (Swipe left for shades of gray)
      • The third button is for list and paragraph settings
      • The camera button launches our powerful document camera
      • The square + button will open an action sheet for other options of adding audio, sketch, files, or photos

• 2 ways to search
    • Search within a notebook by tapping in the search field at the top of the note list
    • Search your entire account from the search tab
      • See suggestions for notes, notebooks, and tags before running your search
      • Recent searches and saved searches are also on the Search tab

• Easy access to shortcuts
    • Access your shortcuts straight from the tab bar
    • Shortcuts area also shows your most recently viewed notes

• Evernote Business users - now switch between business and personal accounts
    • Evernote Business users can switch between personal and business accounts in two ways:
      • From the Account tab; just tap your name and select the account you want to view
      • Alternatively, you can long-press on the Account tab to launch the quick account switcher
    • Your notes, saved and recent searches, recent notes and shortcuts, and tags are now all separated by account within the app
    • To move a note between your personal or business accounts, within a note, tap on the notebook name and scroll to the bottom, and then tap "Move to another account" to open your business or personal notebook list.

What's coming soon:

• Context and related notes
  • 3D Touch Peek and Pop for note lists
  • Note list scrubber - ability to quickly move through long note lists
  • Enhanced (native) business card notes
  • View tags in note list - formerly on iPad only - we plan to bring the option to iPhone and iPad
  • Reminders enhancements

What's not returning:

• Home screen and home screen sections - primary navigation has been moved to the tab bar
  • Presentation mode - this will still be available on desktop clients
  • Suggested note titles
  • Note "draft" mode
    • In v7, when you created a note you needed to save it. If you tapped cancel, you'd have the option to delete or save.
    • In v8, when you create a note, you tap done to save the note. If you decided you didn't want the note, you can delete it. This should cut down in inadvertent data loss.
Read more about the Evernote 8 launch on our blog: Evernote 8.0: Organization Made Simple.

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

January 18 Update

Hi all,

Today we released v8.0.1 to address the following issues:

• Inserting multiple images into a new note with no other content drops the images from the note
    • 8.0.1 stops this behavior and repairs notes that may have encountered this issue
  • From a note list, swiping on a note and tapping the delete button resulted in the note getting expunged instead of going to the Trash
    • 8.0.1 now sends the note to the Trash

We are currently focused on fixing the following issues to be part of 8.0.2:

• From a note list, swiping on an empty note that was just created before the note is automatically removed resulted in the following note being deleted
    • Inadvertently deleted notes should be found in the Trash, but we are also fixing the initial bug
  • Top crasher
    • There is an issue with the thumbnail generation in the note list that may result in crash on launch, crash while scrolling note list, or crash on search.
    • The following have worked for users with various degrees of success: force quit and relaunch app (multiple times if necessary), rebooting device, deleting and reinstalling the app.

Edited by cifip
Added 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 details
  • Like 9

I just downloaded last version 8.0 and the new version just krasch at start. I tried to do several restarts but a second after launch it has a nasty crash.

I rum iOS 10.2 on iPad Air with A7/M7 1GB

How can I retrieve my information. Can't reach any of my information now.

Place my ask for help because you appsupport loops back to evernote that ....crash 

Anyone know what to do? 

Aldo

• Like 1

@Aldo_Swe, try rebooting your phone/ipad. If that doesn't fix it, then you will probably need to uninstall the app, then reinstall and redownload your info.

• Like 2

I really like this update on my iPad 12.9 I really liked the UI for MacOS and the new layout reminds me of it a bit. On the phone this update really looks good, way less cluttered and easy to navigate once you get the hang of it.

One possible bug I ran into and maybe it's just me but I noticed when I went to "settings"-"notebooks"-"offline notebooks" my settings had defaulted to "Do not download notes" where as before I had several offline notebooks.

• Like 3

Thank you very much for fast reply.

It's was the 8.0 update that made it crash. Can't remember any other app update that made my iPad to start crash. I didnt do anything. Perhaps I shall not have the settings to automatic update of apps. 

Q: How do I avoid to loose my the content if I uninstall? Is it safe to uninstall and install?

Dont feel good that a update send my iPad into crashing mode.

Aldo

I really like the new version. Looks really good.

I'm very sad though that the presentation mode is gone :-(. As a teacher, this was a really handy feature.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Aldo_Swe said:

Thank you very much for fast reply.

It's was the 8.0 update that made it crash. Can't remember any other app update that made my iPad to start crash. I didnt do anything. Perhaps I shall not have the settings to automatic update of apps. 

Q: How do I avoid to loose my the content if I uninstall? Is it safe to uninstall and install?

Dont feel good that a update send my iPad into crashing mode.

Aldo

Your notes are all stored on Evernote's servers, so you could lose your ipad, get a new one, install EN, and it all comes back down. So on iOS, nothing should be lost via an uninstall/reinstall. That can be different on a PC/Mac if you have "local notebooks" only, but that is rare and you have to do it on purpose. Not even an option on iOS.

Same problem here, EN 8.0 crashes after update on my iPad Air 2. Reboot of my iPad does not help. Had to re-install EN. Now it works fine.

• Like 1

Nice version, finally a decent way to use tags !

But ... needed to uninstall and re-install to get it working (EN crashed when started)
Reboot was no help

• Like 1

Where did "trash" go? I tried to delete a note by swiping and selecting "trash" and the app lagged and deleted the note I wanted to delete but also deleted the one beneath it.

• Like 2

Just installed version 8 on IOS 10.2  iphone 5s and it evernote CRASHES upon start.  Restarting the iphone does not help.

Evernote-- please fix this!!!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CVJ said:

Where did "trash" go? I tried to delete a note by swiping and selecting "trash" and the app lagged and deleted the note I wanted to delete but also deleted the one beneath it.

Go to the notebook selector and scroll to the very bottom. Trash will be the last one listed.

Overall like it!  Quick thoughts.

1. Compound tag search is great.
  2. New formatting is great and seems to maintain syncing from IOS to PC.
  3. Typing lag seems to be gone from iPad, thanks for that!
  4. Lost some information density, less notes per screen.  Don't know why the propensity in today's world for additional space and flatness.... pretty but it does take longer to get things done.
  5. Will lose some productivity with the home screen gone and the one press access to tags, notebooks, searches,and recent notes.  More presses to get to the same place now.
  6. Loss in 2 should be made up in quicker path back to All Notes.

Issues.

1. Thumbnails on iPhone and iPad are upside down.
  2. Had my iPad horizontal, rotated it to vertical to view a PDF and EN crashed.  Repeated the exercise and it crashed again.  Pages 2 and 3 were showing in the PDF.  Same note works fine on iPhone.
  3. How do you get rid of the Stay up-to-date splash screen.  Maybe a Never option in addition to Not now and OK?
  4. iPad has crashed a couple of times in addition to the PDF.  Sent the reports.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, EdH said:

Go to the notebook selector and scroll to the very bottom. Trash will be the last one listed.

I checked and it's not there on my iPad or my iPhone, I even tried force closing the app and the last notebook under "Notebooks" is my notebook titled "Receipts"

Just checked my wife's iPad and it's not there also

40 minutes ago, EdH said:

Your notes are all stored on Evernote's servers, so you could lose your ipad, get a new one, install EN, and it all comes back down. So on iOS, nothing should be lost via an uninstall/reinstall. That can be different on a PC/Mac if you have "local notebooks" only, but that is rare and you have to do it on purpose. Not even an option on iOS.

@EdH 

I followed your advice and now EVERYTHING IS GONE!

All notes, all,pictures etc is not to be seen

What to do?

After a quick check I feel uncomfortable. Not becouse of the look. I don't really care  the look so much but the functionality. And it seems that handling reminders are more limited in this version than earlier. For eg. after mark a reminder as Done there is no one click way to make it unclompletted again....

• Like 1

I like a lot of what has been done, the improved tag search is particularly great  

Very disappointed that hierarchical tags are still not available through. Alphabetical sorting doesn't work so well in my system. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Aldo_Swe said:

@EdH 

I followed your advice and now EVERYTHING IS GONE!

All notes, all,pictures etc is not to be seen

What to do?

Are you sure you are logging in with the same user ID? Log into the web site to see your notes there. Uninstalling the app WILL NOT DELETE ANYTHING, anymore than uninstalling your email app will delete your emails from an email server.

• Like 1

On 2017-01-17 at 10:10 AM, cifip said:

Tag management has been moved into Account tab > Settings > Manage Tags

• This is a simplified list, where you can delete tags or add a tag to Shortcuts

Way to bury it; I'd prefer a Tag icon in the sidebar

Speaking of tag management; is there an edit function

TagManagement is increasingly becoming an oxymoron in IOS - no hierarchy either

• Like 4

I love this update! I think it looks great, and is accessible. Some thoughts:

I liked the home screen in v7, but I can work around it.

I love the look. It seems more user friendly.

On my iPhone 6, when going to My Account, the page shifted outside of the screen. I haven't been able to duplicate it, so it might have been an initial glitch that corrected itself.

One thing that I would really like back is being able to see tags in the list view when I'm looking at notes. I have three major tags that separate my notes in three categories. I then have tons of tags that connect all of them based on subject. Not being able to see what they are tagged at a glance like I could in v7 makes it difficult to tell which category I'm working in. It'd be cool if I could turn that on (and off for those who don't want it) like the "Note Preview: Show images/Show body text."

Otherwise, I love this.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CVJ said:

I checked and it's not there on my iPad or my iPhone, I even tried force closing the app and the last notebook under "Notebooks" is my notebook titled "Receipts"

Just checked my wife's iPad and it's not there also

So to be clear:

• You have "notes" selected in the toolbar at the bottom (do this on iPhone. I don't have an ipad and the UI could be different)
  • "All Notes" is at the top
  • You select "All Notes" dropdown and it says Notebooks now with a list of notebooks
  • Scroll to the very last row, and there is no "Trash" showing?

Thanks for Evernote 8.0! It seems to work quite intuitively. Great to have to ability to find notes by combining tags and keywords. That is exactly what suits me when, in a meeting, I am in a rush to find that specific item among my 14.000+ notes.

I look forward to "Reminders enhancements" in a future update. Using reminders to have the notes for todays meetings at my fingertips, I like to be able to sort reminders by date. It would be truly magnificent if today's reminders could be just on top, above reminders for days passed and coming. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, EdH said:

Are you sure you are logging in with the same user ID? Log into the web site to see your notes there. Uninstalling the app WILL NOT DELETE ANYTHING, anymore than uninstalling your email app will delete your emails from an email server.

To my best knowledge I do.

I use the linked gmail account. 

Dont know what to do now. I'm sad.

8 minutes ago, 26ph said:

It would be truly magnificent if today's reminders could be just on top, above reminders for days pass

I use a saved search in my shortcuts.  It also includes outstanding reminders

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aldo_Swe said:

To my best knowledge I do.

I use the linked gmail account. 

Dont know what to do now. I'm sad.

Contact Evernote support. To the best of my knowledge, there are only two things that could be going on:

1. You are using the wrong email account/user ID
  2. You had stuff in your Evernote app that had never sync'd for some reason and you didn't see the sync error warning (which is really hard to do as it pops up when it cannot sync due to an error) and thus none of your notes were ever on the server. If that was the case though, that should have been resolved before any upgrade attempt, as that alone could have caused the failure, and at that point, I am not sure there is was any way to recover the data.

I think #2 is so remote as to be virtually impossible to have happened, but it could have.

Look through your emails. You may have used a different address or userID to sign in to your account. 

Support might ask you for varoius email addresses and maybe they can help you identify which one(s) have valid EN accounts.

See this thread for any crashes on startup. It repeats my advice above, but there is one thread on this for addional support.

I also have a bug around the Trash Notebook. If I create a note on my Mac and sync so it shows on my iPhone and then delete it on my iPhone and sync, it shows in the Trash on my Mac and a Trash Notebook appears on my iPhone where I can then delete it and sync so it also goes from my Mac. If I create a note on my iPhone and sync so it appears on my Mac, and then delete it on my iPhone and sync, then it disappears but there is no Trash Notebook on my iPhone and the note disappears from my Mac but is not in the Mac Trash either. So notes deleted in 8.0 on iOS disappear immediately.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, EdH said:

So to be clear:

• You have "notes" selected in the toolbar at the bottom (do this on iPhone. I don't have an ipad and the UI could be different)
  • "All Notes" is at the top
  • You select "All Notes" dropdown and it says Notebooks now with a list of notebooks
  • Scroll to the very last row, and there is no "Trash" showing?

Yup, attaching screenshot I circled "+ New Notebook" to show I am at the bottom. On my devices Receipts is the last notebook in the list due to listing in alphabetical order. 

The app did it again just now with a new note, there was a bit of lag and the new note disappeared without me deleting it. I checked my desktop application and when it synced the note disappeared there also and it is not in the trash folder.

IMG_0238_zpsbylaaulm.png

16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I use a saved search in my shortcuts.  It also includes outstanding reminders

Thanks for your reply, DTLow.

In the meantime, I've discovered the following method to deal with reminders in EN 8.0:

1. Go to the Note tab in the footer bar

2. Choose the notebook selector on the top of the screen

3. The second option, below 'All notes', is 'Reminders'

4. Choosing this option produces a chronological list of the reminders.

So if I keep my reminders up to date, partly by pushing forward reminders for actions still to be undertaken, the reminders for today will be on the top of this list.  

26 minutes ago, EdH said:

Contact Evernote support. To the best of my knowledge, there are only two things that could be going on:

1. You are using the wrong email account/user ID
  2. You had stuff in your Evernote app that had never sync'd for some reason and you didn't see the sync error warning (which is really hard to do as it pops up when it cannot sync due to an error) and thus none of your notes were ever on the server. If that was the case though, that should have been resolved before any upgrade attempt, as that alone could have caused the failure, and at that point, I am not sure there is was any way to recover the data.

I think #2 is so remote as to be virtually impossible to have happened, but it could have.

Look through your emails. You may have used a different address or userID to sign in to your account. 

Support might ask you for varoius email addresses and maybe they can help you identify which one(s) have valid EN accounts.

The next problem is to find the support mail. That was the reason why I placed my question here. I can't simply find the support mail. I have jumped around and i'm not finding a email the support.

Ii think i have to take a break from this now before I delete this app for ever and walk away from my notes and pictures, and be happy that 80% that can be recreated from dropbox and other working services.

Thanks for your try and your patience but this didn't work out well. I can't figur out why this had to happen from the start.

I look into this tomorrow again.

Aldo

So the part where I asked you to try it on your iPhone @CVJ since the UI of an iPad could be different...

or just log in to the website and restore the note from the trash there.

I was so looking for the update, but still there are no consistency between iOS, web version, Mac and Windows especially with the tags... and especially when you share the notebooks with others... 
Only what we really need is the hierarchal view expand and collapse (Like the Mac version) when sharing with others...
It seems the developers of those versions are not talking to each other :P
  • Like 1

I did do it on both, I just happened to be on my tablet at the time. The menu UI is the same, it's weird also because I just watched the app delete a note I had created to test something without swiping and selecting delete. The new note just disappeared while looking at it.

The "trash" folder missing looks like a UI bug because I have some notes on my phone that are cut off at the top but appear fine in landscape mode.

IMG_3715_zps718nw9ih.png

23 hours ago, cifip said:

What's not returning:

I'm always advising users to sync their devices when switching devices.  Is this do-able in the new version?

I notice the notes in the new version have an indicator for sync status

Edit: Found it - on the Accounts screen

Also in the release notes     Manually sync: Pull down on the note list

Repeated comment; Way to bury it

Did you empty your Trash notebook? When I do so, the Trash notebook does not show on the iPhone.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CVJ said:

I emptied my trash, and the Trash icon disappeared

Deleted notes seem to just disappear - I don't see them in the trash on other platforms

Edited: Got the Trash folder back.  I deleted a note on my Mac.  Still no deleted notes

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I emptied my trash, and the Trash icon disappeared

I haven't touched it yet, it was never there. i went looking for it when the app deleted two notes instead of one.

Maybe you deleting yours got the rest of ours  j/k

So I am reading all the comments and seeing users experience crashes etc.

For me all good some far on my iPad Mini.  No issues

Love the UI and seems a nice working environment.  I would even say I may use Evernote more on my iPad in preference to web or my mac.  

Great work Evernote :D

I have a couple of notes that I was working on yesterday on the desktop, saved fine last night, and now the new update has knocked it back a few days. I'm assuming some bugs are happening with the new update, just wanted to see if anyone else noticed this or if its just me :)

ETA: Found the updated version in the note's save history, in case anyone else has the same problem :)

Edited by CatlinH
Found the right version.

55 minutes ago, Cepenpark said:

I also have a bug around the Trash Notebook. If I create a note on my Mac and sync so it shows on my iPhone and then delete it on my iPhone and sync, it shows in the Trash on my Mac and a Trash Notebook appears on my iPhone where I can then delete it and sync so it also goes from my Mac. If I create a note on my iPhone and sync so it appears on my Mac, and then delete it on my iPhone and sync, then it disappears but there is no Trash Notebook on my iPhone and the note disappears from my Mac but is not in the Mac Trash either. So notes deleted in 8.0 on iOS disappear immediately.

Following up on this, I also used EverNote Web to delete notes and found that this showed an incomplete note in Trash that will not fully delete so this may be part of the problem.

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 21.14.38.jpg

6 minutes ago, Cepenpark said:

Following up on this, I also used EverNote Web to delete notes and found that this showed an incomplete note in Trash that will not fully delete so this may be part of the problem.

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 21.14.38.jpg

Then I'd contact support at the links in my sig. Something screwy going on with your account in particular.

16 minutes ago, EdH said:

Then I'd contact support at the links in my sig. Something screwy going on with your account in particular.

I would but I'm no longer a Premium User and can't submit a ticket on Basic.

Oops - 26PH figured this out above. Thanks! This makes a huge difference in how I use Evernote from now on.

Nice work EN!

I like the new UI - very simple, easy to use. Much better for my large fingers.

Question: Is there a way to order reminders by date on the iOS app? It seems like an intuitive feature but I can't seem to make it happen.

I keep a reminders shortcut but they can only be ordered by name, date created, or date updated.

Am I missing something? Thanks for the help.

Edited by remedy5
Found answer above

24 minutes ago, Cepenpark said:

I would but I'm no longer a Premium User and can't submit a ticket on Basic.

Twitter is free for everyone, and I can attest that they respond!

• Like 1

I use Livescribe 3 and Evernote. On my iPhone, the OCR text now appears at the top of the note, covering the top of the Livescribe note. Since my handwriting is less than perfect and I use many abbreviations and technical references, the Evernote OCR on my Livescribe notes isn't meaningful. Please display them below the Livescribe image (as they are in the Windows desktop). The placement of the OCR is a real problem.

After reinstall on ipad mini ios 9 Evernote sees current device as iphone. Maybe thats the cause of all update trouble?

Second; where 's the gear-icon?

Evernote did it again: Proclaiming the best iOS version ever and what is the result:

• It crashes on start-up, re-install was necessary.
  • Other bugs obvious within minutes after starting to use it:
    • After some time wrong notes are shown in the right part and not the one selected in the left list. I had to restart the app several times to cope with that.
    • At one point only the list of notes is visible covering the whole screen, restart necessary again.
    • Trash is missing deleted notes. I had to delete them using the desktop app.
    • Saved searches are missing from the list
    • Deleted notes are really deleted and don't appear in the trash
    • Other note deleted than the selected one and not into trash -> catastrophic!
    • ????

I stopped using the app for now. I hope there will be an update soon. Is there any quality assurance system installed in Evernote? Unfortunately, I have to doubt after this experience.

Apart from these problems the UI is not very much better than the one before.

Some improvements yes but the UI before the last one was still the best and this has been years ago.

It looks very much like the bad new web app. The left list only can be used really as a list which deserves this name with one setting: small without pictures and text body and even then I just see only 8 notes in the list, bad. On my iPad it only makes sense to use the landscape mode otherwise the note part gets too small and I always have to switch to fullscreen mode. It still seems that the developers did not care for the iPad very much.

Considerung the announcement I expected something much better but on first glance I am disappointed. And the editor is still far from state of the art. Three different text sizes only? No different fonts. Only different foreground colors but no background coloring. No, this was not a big step but more a 'quantum leap' (smallest possible step between two energy states of an electron).

• Like 1

Tried looking for my deleted note in the web app and it never showed up there either, guess the note is just floating in the nether somewhere for now.

12 minutes ago, Stuhrer said:

Evernote did it again

You might want to hold off before jumping into upgrades.  Monitor the forums to hear the pro and con

Also a rule of thumb is that version .0 tends to be a bit rough; version .1 cleans up bugs

• Like 2

There is a Bug when inserting Sketch/Handwriting: it gets created at the end of page automatically, regardless of cursor position. This is a pitty, as I need to insert notes at certain positions in a template. Please correct quickly!

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

You might want to hold off before jumping into upgrades.  Monitor the forums to hear the pro and con

Also a rule of thumb is that version .0 tends to be a bit rough; version .1 cleans up bugs

Yes, I should have known better. But why is this always the case with Evernote? With no other app I had such bad experiences and after the announcement I was optimistic. Bad decision. Anyway, I love the Mac client. I use it most of the time because the other apps (web, iOS) are so limited in features and feature wise the new iOS app is disappointing as well.

• Like 2

Hi,

I really like the new layout and overall upgrade but there are some raw edges.

bugs:

• I confirm that deleting does not move the icon into trash. Trash is present by the way.
  • the app sometimes crashes, I've sent report of that
  • on a bit slow wifi the app kinda lags, non unusable but it let me feel it depends too much on instant connection to EN servers (solution: queue changes?)

regression:

• i can't rename a tag anymore. Please add that in the next update, cause it's pointless to focus on tags and forget such a feature

still missing

• i can't see nested tags, like I do on desktop.

Question: what's the default background sync interval? Just out of curiosity, pull to sync works fine.

• Like 3

Ok I got trash back when I deleted something in the desktop app. Emptying trash and the folder goes away, deleting in the app brings it back so it's working this time unlike my first attempt at deleting.

• Like 1

Seems really great.....(there is a but coming)

It is great and stable on my iPhone 6S plus,

...i can't open it on the iPad Air. Crashes 5 times in a row. Tried closing all other apps and restarting....yup still crashes. 

To add to everyone else's comments, Evernote crashes on my iPhone when I went to use the updated app. I've rebooted it and it still does not work. Why was this new interface not tested beforehand? Grrrr. Now the app is unusable for me until it gets fixed. Thank you Evernote. Arrggh

57 minutes ago, Stuhrer said:

But why is this always the case with Evernote?

Perhaps the fact the software is free; the upgrade is free; most of the 200+ million users are non-paying
- doesn't allow much margin to pay for extensive testing

• Like 2

The initial syncing for offline access is taking forever, I don't even have that many notes with attachments.

4 minutes ago, CVJ said:

The initial syncing for offline access is taking forever, I don't even have that many notes with attachments.

I don't think its specific to this version - my last offline download took a few days (8000 notes, 5GB)

46 minutes ago, CVJ said:

Ok I got trash back when I deleted something in the desktop app. Emptying trash and the folder goes away, deleting in the app brings it back so it's working this time unlike my first attempt at deleting.

Great to hear you got that sorted out.

4 minutes ago, CVJ said:

Yeah, let me know how that works out for you. Not thrilled with this aspect of it myself. It is very slow to the point I am not using offline access with it right now. I hope to see improvements in 8.0.1 or whatever is probably already cooking in the Evernote kitchen.

24 minutes ago, macneilpi said:

Seems really great.....(there is a but coming)

It is great and stable on my iPhone 6S plus,

...i can't open it on the iPad Air. Crashes 5 times in a row. Tried closing all other apps and restarting....yup still crashes. 

Ok. Deleted it and reinstalled it. No problems on the iPad Air now. It has only crashed once on the iPhone. 

Mom only disappointed with the loss of presentation mode. I used that when i was "selling EN" to new folks. Lol 

I'm now super-anxious for incorporating 3D Touch! I hope that the wait is not long. 

5 hours ago, Aldo_Swe said:

I just downloaded last version 8.0 and the new version just krasch at start. I tried to do several restarts but a second after launch it has a nasty crash.

Place my ask for help because you appsupport loops back to evernote that ....crash 

Anyone know what to do? 

Aldo

Reinstalling worked on my iPad Air

5 hours ago, Carlos-E said:

Just installed version 8 on IOS 10.2  iphone 5s and it evernote CRASHES upon start.  Restarting the iphone does not help.

Evernote-- please fix this!!!

Reinstall fixed that on my iPad. My iphone updated fine 

5 hours ago, All Aves said:

Very disappointed that hierarchical tags are still not available through.

I miss this too! Please bring it back!

• Like 2

Please restore the ability to view all notes within in a stack of notebooks! I really need it. Thank you.

• Like 1

In the new iOS app, when I go to put a note in a notebook, you pull down to search from available notebooks. In the old version, you could search any part of the word (i.e. "Read" would pull up my notebook "_Reading List" but on the new search, it only searches from the start (i.e. You have to start searching with "_R" if you want it to find "_Reading List). Why would this change??

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kkm11 said:

Please restore the ability to view all notes within in a stack of notebooks! I really need it. Thank you.

As a workaround, could you use a shortcut to a saved search

• Like 1

I'm also not able to press the Annotation button at the top right on PDF attachments - is this happening to anyone else?  It's grayed out on both my iPad and iPhone on all notes that have PDFs.

Thanks!

IMG_0342.PNG

Interesting, but how do you add a search to Shortcuts? For others, I was able to get a successful search using:

stack:[stack_name] *

7 minutes ago, mcfryer said:

I'm also not able to press the Annotation button at the top right on PDF attachments - is this happening to anyone else?  It's grayed out on both my iPad and iPhone on all notes that have PDFs.

Thanks!

Yup. Appears to be not functional.

• Like 1

Couple of bugs being reported elsewhere:

1) CRITICAL: Deleting a note with v.8.0 iOS app seems to delete it permanently, it's not moved to "Trash." 

2) Alphabetical sorting issue with lists that involves capitalization: "AB" sorts prior to "Aa". NOT desirable and hopefully a bug. Anyone else seeing this? I'm sure this was NOT the behavior in prior versions, it certainly does not sort that way with desktop app.

• Like 1

It's a three step process

1. Make your search

2. Save your search

3. While viewing your save search results click on the "..." in the upper right to add a shortcut

• Like 1

Overall feels like a good direction, but the missing reminder functionality is killing my daily workflow.

I really really really need that ability to Sort Reminders by Due Date and the ability to Show Only Due Reminders. Not to mention when I slide a note to the left and click on the reminder icon, it just sets it as complete instead of giving me quick access to adjusting the reminder time/date.

Will this be addressed in "Reminder enhancements" noted above?

• Like 1

Add me to the list of people with crashing Evernote on iPad OS 10.2.

I do note that if I double-click home button I can see the Evernote 'All Notes' page displayed. 
Clicking on it just brings me back to home screen again. 
Trying the uninstall/re-install, but not until I've exported everything.

I don't know if this has been reported as yet, but I'm not in the mood to look.  When I do a search on the iPad the only note that can be selected is the one at the top of the list.  Click on any note in the list and the top note displays in the note window.  I have to slide the note I want to the top of the list to view it.  Seems to work okay on the iPhone   

Any chance you guys could post a go back version for the iPad?  This is unusable.  That and the reports of inadvertent data loss while deleting other notes.

EDIT:  This occurs with the search bar at the top of the note list.  Saved searches work as expected and I think using the search icon is fine.  The selected note moves to the top of the list (?) and also displays in the note window   

Side note, a search which returns a large number of notes takes a long time and eventually times out and then EN craters.  

Edited by csihilling
Clarification

9 hours ago, csihilling said:

1. Lost some information density, less notes per screen.  Don't know why the propensity in today's world for additional space and flatness.... pretty but it does take longer to get things done.
  2. Will lose some productivity with the home screen gone and the one press access to tags, notebooks, searches,and recent notes.  More presses to get to the same place now.

Sigh. These are two big issues for me. I used to be able to see 6 notes at once on my iPhone 7 Plus screen  Now it's 4 notes.  

Is "manage tags" supposed to DO anything?  It's just a scrolling list.  Jeez.  

Overall I just hate every decision that went into this new version. It truly seems like change just for change sake. 

I'm a premium member but will likely let my subscription expire later this year. 

• Like 3

I used to be able to view my reminders by notebook group, now it's just a cascade of note snippets. Not happy! 

Also immediate Notebook list view is what brought order to my life, now I have to tap and see 'recent notebooks', 'reminders' 'all notes' first before I get to the notebook list. Sorry but this is not how I like to view my Evernote .

• Like 1

On 18.1.2017 at 1:04 AM, DTLow said:

Perhaps the fact the software is free; the upgrade is free; most of the 200+ million users are non-paying
- doesn't allow much margin to pay for extensive testing

Possibly, but as a premium user I don't want to be a f...... beta tester!

• Like 5

Just to let you know that version 8.0 crashes on launch on my iPhone 6. I have force quit and restarted the iPhone. Still crashes. Will now delete EN from my iPhone and reinstall. A real pain!! Not a good experience. I have used EN for years, installing every update, and this is the first time this has happened.

OK, have just reinstalled EN on my iPhone and it is still crashing as it downloads my notes from the EN servers. I shall stick to EN 7 on my iPad until this problem is sorted.

1 hour ago, jbarnabasl said:

OK, have just reinstalled EN on my iPhone and it is still crashing as it downloads my notes from the EN servers. I shall stick to EN 7 on my iPad until this problem is sorted.

I do the same. It would have spared EN some bad comments and us users some time and frustration if this update had been communicated as still beta.

I would add a caveat to the update information until 8.0.1. is released ...

16 hours ago, Aldo_Swe said:

Anyone know what to do? 

Aldo

Same.

I wonder why they got rid of the presentation mode on iOS...  Having it on mobile devices makes sense the most – it's much easier to carry a tablet than a laptop to do presentations.  As a teacher, I can honestly say it will be sadly missed.

Any reason why it's no longer available?

Note creation and searching is somewhat better, note typing and editing is definitely a step back, unless you use an external keyboard.  Last year basic markdown was hinted at as a soon-to-be-released feature, but it's still not there, nor do we access to any sort of styles...  

• Like 4

Business card scanner option for "saving to contacts" has now disappeared, which is the main reason for using this feature... 

I assume that this is an omission that will be corrected rapidly?

Luckily I only "up"graded my iPhone 7 and left my iPad alone. Next time I'll do it the other way around....

• Like 1

Hi !

I've been using Evernote for 3 years now, and loved it so far. I'm in medical school and this app is now in the center of my study habits.

Unfortunately this update really is the worst one I've seen in terms of productivity, which is what Evernote is about...

• The app is globally so slow now (iPad mini retina, never lagging before this update...). Really slow, even when you are juste writing stuff, note even talking about loading notes...
  • all the option about writing are hidden and you have to tape many time to get one option (highlighting for example)
  • again, to set up a reminder... you guys need to put the logo back on so we can just tape on it directly : and this goes for the writing option
  • scrolling down note's list is lagging now... Evernote doesn't need to be graphically heavy to be productive
  • an idea : when you have a lot of reminder it is long to look for one especially now that the app is slow. Wouldn't be possible to have an option to look for an note by date of reminder ? Like a calendar or search option ?
  • also when you create a new note, the writing point (I don't know how to say it in English sorry) shouldn't be in the main writing section but in the title so we can type the title first and then the body of the note.

So basically the app is beautiful and more enjoyable to read but mainly less productive to my opinion. The thing is this should be the priority...

Thanks in advance

• Like 4

For the Widget, if I change my in-app settings to not show notes, then I don't want to see the 'notes will appear here text'. I'd love the widget to simply show only the icons for creating more notes. This would save widget screen real-estate and negate the need for a 'show more' option (although maybe that could be used in reverse - to show any new notes, as an extra option in settings, i.e. 'show notes last').

And please, please give premium users back their Dark Mode!

• Like 1

Usability of UI is way better, just great - bravo. 
But: 
1. Interface elements are too bold 
2. Give me back presentation mode 
3. It's slow - I want to open the app, click + and star writing. Now I have to wait for the app as it's unusable for few first seconds 
4. Weird gray  - big nono 
6. Where are interface themes?

• Like 2

Appreciate the update:

- landscape mode for iPhone 7plus

- font sizes and colors 

- more streamlined in certain ways

Would appreciate:

- home screen (I understand that having Evernote open up to the most recent notes seems to be better for work flow however the most recent notes doesn't always equate to priority)  

- w/out homescreen and jumping right into "All Notes" means that Shortcuts/Notebooks/Tags/etc. are one step removed

- shortcuts is now a step removed (this should be one click but now requires two)

- no option to have green or black (white can be very intrusive, the green and black felt premium) 

- sketch/handwriting/voice recording is now one step removed which for people who rely more on sketching and handwriting 

- options such as Bold/Italics are also one step removed (which doesn't make sense when there is plenty of real estate, especially when flipped in landscape)

*it seems that with the aim to streamline and simplify it actually made more hurdles and steps

Bugs:

- when switching back to portrait mode from landscape EN takes me back to a note instead of back to "all notes"

-when adding a sketch to a note it automatically sends it to the bottom of the note 

-annotations on the iPad do not allow zooming

thanks 

premium member

Edited by YNRZ
Needed to add
  • Like 1

Hello, not happy at all. In the previous version, when you clicked on the reminders clock in "all notes" or in a list of notes filtered for a tag, for example, the list of notes was appearing in the reminder order. Now, there is no way for getting this sorted correctly and, worse, nothing is foreseen in the "Note list Options" for chosing in the "Sort by" settings "By reminders", on top of the date updated, date created and note title. This is very annoying and I am deeply disappointed by this. Thanks.

As others have mentioned, the new ios version on my iphone 6 plus running 10.2 crashes on start.  

8 hours ago, Stuhrer said:

Possibly, but as a premium member I don't want to be a     beta tester!

Repeating an earlier comment, you may want to not jump into upgrades.
Holdback and review the comments from other users

On my Mac, the upgrades have a specific beta option to chose or reject

13 hours ago, togusa.9 said:

Overall feels like a good direction, but the missing reminder functionality is killing my daily workflow.

I really really really need that ability to Sort Reminders by Due Date and the ability to Show Only Due Reminders. Not to mention when I slide a note to the left and click on the reminder icon, it just sets it as complete instead of giving me quick access to adjusting the reminder time/date.

Will this be addressed in "Reminder enhancements" noted above?

I fully agree with you. That reminder functionality that disappeared is also a disaster for me.

• Like 1

Yeah, what is the purpose of a reminder search if you can't sort it into a reminder order?

• Like 1

iPhone5 with latest IOS, after updating the application to v8.0 it can no longer be opened, always crashes.

I tried power off-on my phone without help.

The ability to sort the entire reminders list is great. Thanks for that. I echo the rest of the group's desire to have a more robust reminders feature.

Evernote would be the "one app to rule them all" if it nails the reminder features that everyone is asking for.

Thanks for listening.

22 hours ago, cifip said:
What's coming soon:
  • Reminders enhancements

Thank you for moving the Reminders section from the Note List panel.  It took up space and I never used it

I'm interested in the planned enhancements

As others mentioned (but you failed to) features have been removed from the Reminders section  (sequence, grouping).  I'd like to see your response on this

It's hilariously ironic how the blog post is full to the brim of butt hurt Android users thinking they're being ignored. They don't get it. They simply don't see it. They don't feel the iOS users' pain of continually getting a prettier and prettier interface that does less and less. 

Evernote is the reason I do not use auto update on any of my iOS devices. They will go ahead and remove features and functionality, so it's better to have some time adjusting to a new reality before it puts you on the spot. I hope not too many people who were planning on using presentation mode today in an important meeting kept their apps up to date ... 

It just boggles my mind.

• Like 4

My advice for all who want to update En:

1. Sync notes on all your device be sure of this) and shut down En app.

2. Shut down the device and restart it ( not only reboot your device)

3. Update En

it seems that if you go in this way, En will don't crash at startup.

I test it on 1 iPhone 6s plus, 1 5SE and one iPad mini 4 without any kind of troubles.

I hope it will work also for you!

Best regards