Evernote v8.0 for iOS Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We released Evernote for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch v8.0 earlier today.

Evernote 8.0 is a complete redesign emphasizing speed and simplicity. Capture your thoughts with ease, and find what you're looking for faster than ever. Bring beauty and clarity to your notes with an improved editing experience. In addition, this new app will lay the foundation for us to more easily build the features you've been requesting. We’re really excited, and we hope you are too.

What's New in Evernote 8.0:

• Quickly navigate between main sections of the app with the tab bar
    • Sections: Notes, Search, Note Creation (+), Shortcuts, and Account
    • Work Chat is now found inside the Account tab
    • Tag management has been moved into Account tab > Settings > Manage Tags
      • This is a simplified list, where you can delete tags or add a tag to Shortcuts

• Find your content more easily with the new note list
    • Browse notes and identify your images quickly with newly designed note previews
    • Switch between small, medium (default), or large previews by tapping Note List Options (in the overflow ‘…’ menu)
      • Medium and Large previews will show up to three thumbnails in the note list
      • You can still control sort order and whether or not to view images or snippet text
    • Filter a note list by pulling down slightly to expose a search box, tag filter, and reminder filter
    • Filter by tags: Tap the tag icon to select and apply tag filters
      • After selecting a tag, a filtered list of remaining tags are shown if you wish to refine further
    • Filter by reminders: Tap the reminder icon to view just your reminder notes
    • Manually sync: Pull down on the note list

• Switch between notebooks quickly
    • The notebook list is now opened from the top of the note list
    • When you first launch Evernote 8.0, you'll see All Notes at the top with a down arrow - tap that to open the notebook list including All Notes and Reminders collections
    • Tap the name of the notebook at the top of the screen to get to your notebook list
    • Swipe left on a notebook or stack to expose the settings button: use this to open notebook or stack settings to rename, add to stack, add to shortcuts, or change sharing permissions

• Create new notes with a multi-function + button
    • Tap the (+) button (aka new note skittle) to get right into the note editor
    • Long-press on the (+) button and drag to quickly create Audio, Photo, or Reminder notes
    • Or long-press on the (+) button and release to view these note creation options then tap the one you want
    • Swipe the keyboard down to save your note and enter View mode
    • Tapping Done will save and sync your note
      • If you leave your note title and note body empty, the note will be automatically removed

• Beautify your notes with a better formatting and styling options
    • On top of the keyboard, you'll see the new formatting navigation bar
      • ABC is the main keyboard
      • Next is the primary formatting button - this opens the formatting menu in the keyboard area
        • Change font style to bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, or highlight
        • Change text size to small, medium, or large
        • Change text color! (Swipe left for shades of gray)
      • The third button is for list and paragraph settings
      • The camera button launches our powerful document camera
      • The square + button will open an action sheet for other options of adding audio, sketch, files, or photos

• 2 ways to search
    • Search within a notebook by tapping in the search field at the top of the note list
    • Search your entire account from the search tab
      • See suggestions for notes, notebooks, and tags before running your search
      • Recent searches and saved searches are also on the Search tab

• Easy access to shortcuts
    • Access your shortcuts straight from the tab bar
    • Shortcuts area also shows your most recently viewed notes

• Evernote Business users - now switch between business and personal accounts
    • Evernote Business users can switch between personal and business accounts in two ways:
      • From the Account tab; just tap your name and select the account you want to view
      • Alternatively, you can long-press on the Account tab to launch the quick account switcher
    • Your notes, saved and recent searches, recent notes and shortcuts, and tags are now all separated by account within the app
    • To move a note between your personal or business accounts, within a note, tap on the notebook name and scroll to the bottom, and then tap "Move to another account" to open your business or personal notebook list.

What's coming soon:

• Context and related notes
  • 3D Touch Peek and Pop for note lists
  • Note list scrubber - ability to quickly move through long note lists
  • Enhanced (native) business card notes
  • View tags in note list - formerly on iPad only - we plan to bring the option to iPhone and iPad
  • Reminders enhancements

What's not returning:

• Home screen and home screen sections - primary navigation has been moved to the tab bar
  • Presentation mode - this will still be available on desktop clients
  • Suggested note titles
  • Note "draft" mode
    • In v7, when you created a note you needed to save it. If you tapped cancel, you'd have the option to delete or save.
    • In v8, when you create a note, you tap done to save the note. If you decided you didn't want the note, you can delete it. This should cut down in inadvertent data loss.
Read more about the Evernote 8 launch on our blog: Evernote 8.0: Organization Made Simple.

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

January 18 Update

Hi all,

Today we released v8.0.1 to address the following issues:

• Inserting multiple images into a new note with no other content drops the images from the note
    • 8.0.1 stops this behavior and repairs notes that may have encountered this issue
  • From a note list, swiping on a note and tapping the delete button resulted in the note getting expunged instead of going to the Trash
    • 8.0.1 now sends the note to the Trash

We are currently focused on fixing the following issues to be part of 8.0.2:

• From a note list, swiping on an empty note that was just created before the note is automatically removed resulted in the following note being deleted
    • Inadvertently deleted notes should be found in the Trash, but we are also fixing the initial bug
  • Top crasher
    • There is an issue with the thumbnail generation in the note list that may result in crash on launch, crash while scrolling note list, or crash on search.
    • The following have worked for users with various degrees of success: force quit and relaunch app (multiple times if necessary), rebooting device, deleting and reinstalling the app.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are som nice and cool stuff to the update! And as a user primarily using evernote on iPhone and iPad mini for capturing simple stuff and recalling notes, I like the simplicity. However, it might be different for users with big iPad (pro) users e.g.

Bugs at the moment: (excuse me, but there are way too many, and I rely on evernote for iOS for being productive, efficient and creative - bugs diminishes all of these)

• Accessing a tag-based note list through the shortcut view apparently finds all notes (including from the trash) with the tag - I don't want to be bogged down by something I want to forget.
  • When searching for my notes..
    • I see "no results for [search term]" - but after some seconds (sometimes five) results come up. This is however misinformation, since Evernote is actually searching and I should wait!?
    • When results are displayed, I am though only allowed to view the first note. no matter which one I choose, it jumps to and displays the first!?

Please bring back the presentation mode!

Please give us back an easy tag management!

Please give us a way to switch back to version 7!

Interface in this application is vital. The choice of using the program largely depends on that.

Generally much more nimble but I'm really missing the Note Card view from the old version, esp on my iPad.  I don't want nor need a full preview on the right (it's also a security risk for over-the-shoulder peekers).  I'd rather have the option to turn off the full preview and use the screen space to display more note cards.

I'm a Premium User.

There is one obvious solution here. Especially for premium members : PUT THE OLD VERSION BACK ON UNTIL THIS 8Th VERSION IS STABLE, FAST, AND OPERATING. 

We are all loosing time at work, study and at home.

Be pragmatic about the work you did and accept to take a step backward...

Thank you in advance

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Quentin L. said:

There is one obvious solution here. Especially for premium members : PUT THE OLD VERSION BACK ON UNTIL THIS 8Th VERSION IS STABLE, FAST, AND OPERATING

A self help solution

Hello - highlighting text in my notes on my iPhone do not appear on my Evernote for Mac version or on the web. I contacted customer support who was able to replicate the issue and suggested that I post the issue here.  Thanks.

Just reverted back to v7 for my iphone. Love my home screen! Thank you to whomever posted instructions. It was a little fiddly (had to try twice) and I think some things have moved a little (offline notebooks now under premium, not general) but SOOOOOOOOOO much better than update. I have privacy again!

NB: premium user.

I've already submitted feedback through the app, so I won't delve into all the lag issues I commented on there.

But, I have my "Note List Options" selected as Small and it only shows 5 notes.  :huh:  So much screen real estate gone to waste.

Steve Jobs isn't merely rolling over in his grave. He's been resurrected and headed straight for the Evernote UX team :ph34r:

Hi! 

The new app looks really good, but.. I loved it that I did not see all my notes right away when I opened the app in the previous one. Is that still a possiblity? I'm quitte an organiser and love it when I have an overview ;).I would prefer to see my notebokes first instead of all the notes. 

Looking forward to your response!

Best,
Kimberley

On 1/18/2017 at 1:10 AM, cifip said:

complete redesign emphasizing speed and simplicity

I've had more lags, cumulative lag time, and crashes in the 2 or 3 days of slogging through v8 than all previous versions combined.

On 1/18/2017 at 1:10 AM, cifip said:

What's not returning

Home screen and home screen sections - primary navigation has been moved to the tab bar

An example of terrible customer service.

I understand you're most likely trying to steal market from Apple Notes and MS OneNote.  Fine. Keep it simple for unpaid account users.

Premium users want advanced.  We use Evernote more than merely save ideas -- we use it to organize our projects and our lives.

You took away our screwgun and gave us a screwdriver.  Give us an option to go back to advanced views Evernote.

In the new iOS version of Evernote, why does filtering by Tag show items in the trash?  Filtering by tag now is essentially useless for me for GTD since I can no longer instantly tell what is current and what was deleted weeks, months, or years ago!

Very unhappy now.

1 hour ago, tuulikki said:

Just reverted back to v7 for my iphone. Love my home screen! Thank you to whomever posted instructions. It was a little fiddly (had to try twice) and I think some things have moved a little (offline notebooks now under premium, not general) but SOOOOOOOOOO much better than update. I have privacy again!

NB: premium user.

You're welcome—glad it worked for you. ?

Hi!

After this update, all my PDFs have the annotation option disabled, the @ icon no longer appears, and I can no longer mark the files as I did before - underline, circle, create arrows, write.

How to solve? All my references to my master degree thesis are there, how will I stay without marking documents?

HELP!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jacobberger said:

I have my "Note List Options" selected as Small and it only shows 5 notes.  :huh:  So much screen real estate gone to waste.

I also turned off images and and body text
I only need titles; closer to the list view I use on my Mac

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Kmii89 said:

I'm quitte an organiser and love it when I have an overview ;).I would prefer to see my notebokes first instead of all the notes. 

I think that ship has sailed

I actually work in my note list more than notebook list (tag person, very few notebooks)

For me, the organization isn't the important point - its that my notes are retrieved when I need them
My notes are in update date sequence, so the notes I'm working on are at the top of the note list

Regardless - the notebook list is one click away; click on All Notes
And a second click gets be to Tag list

In earlier version it was possible to add/delete or change tags in the Tags menu.

This possibility has vanished in version 8.0! You can only add a tag when you are editing a note.

This should also be a possibility in version 8.0.

Best regards

Leif Svendsen

1 minute ago, leifsvendsen said:

In earlier version it was possible to add/delete or change tags in the Tags menu.

This possibility has vanished in version 8.0! You can only add a tag when you are editing a note.

This should also be a possibility in version 8.0.

Best regards

Leif Svendsen

It's mind boggling that they buried tags under "account" then "settings".  Tags are so fundamental to Evernote.  This was clearly an idea by somebody who never uses Evernote.  

Even once I'm there, it's just a scrolling list of tags that I can look at.  It provides no functionality.  Ponderous!  

2 hours ago, Kmii89 said:

Hi! 

The new app looks really good, but.. I loved it that I did not see all my notes right away when I opened the app in the previous one. Is that still a possiblity? I'm quitte an organiser and love it when I have an overview ;).I would prefer to see my notebokes first instead of all the notes. 

Looking forward to your response!

Best,
Kimberley

I also prefer to see my notebooks and notebook stacks first. This should be a feature that can be customized by the individual user. They also need to bring back the dark theme, which in my opinion should be used even on the Mac/PC applications.

Overall I am dissatisfied with the new UI and look.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, leifsvendsen said:

Tag management is now located under Account > Settings
We seem to have lost the "edit" function

To use tags in searches, click on About Notes, then the tag icon

The add tag function within notes remains unchanged

8 minutes ago, mdk1 said:

Even once I'm there, it's just a scrolling list of tags that I can look at.  It provides no functionality.  Ponderous!

@mdk1 the tag functionality is performed by tapping the tag icon to the right of the search box when in All Notes or a selected Notebook. The Manage Tags section appears to be purely for deleting tags or adding them to Shortcuts by swiping left.

1 hour ago, jim.g said:

@mdk1 the tag functionality is performed by tapping the tag icon to the right of the search box when in All Notes or a selected Notebook. The Manage Tags section appears to be purely for deleting tags or adding them to Shortcuts by swiping left.

Ugh, I see.  So ugly, time wasting, and disorganized.  

New list view looks too big, I'm used to seeing about 3 x 3 thumbnails in the desktop version, and 2 (columns) x 3 makes sense for me in the iOS version. I don't like a list view and never used it before. I update several notes a day, so I feel lost having to go down to look for notes instead of clicking right there the recently updated notes. Rotating the phone makes it even bigger, a note thumbnail doesn't even fit on the screen.

By the way, since the previous update, every time I open the app it asks me for my iTunes password. Same with this new update. I tried deleting and reinstalling the app and same problem.

Beyond that, thank you for the great app!

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Ron Vutpakdi said:

Now I have my tags working again.

Version 8 has many issues, however I wasn't aware of tags not working.  Can you elaborate?

I'm most concerned about loss of notes, the other stuff seems more cosmetic in comparison
Then there's the users who can't even run the version

Forgive me if this has been posted/discussed. Auto sync is not functioning on my iPad as it did with the former version of EN. If I modify or create a note on my laptop or iPhone, the edits or new note do not appear on the iPad until I close EN, then reopen. This certainly decreases the functionality of the app and makes syncing too slow. 

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Pangcp said:

Will be great if the presentation function is available again. I believe it a function that many really like to have just like me.

I'm thinking the Presentation Mode issue is bigger than this Release discussion.  I started a discussion so we can address it

Bring the presentation mode back! I can't understand why remove such a useful feature. I have large masses of text in my Evernote that I wan't to read!!!!!!!!! The feature was perfect as it was. Presentation mode is the only reason I pay for premium. Why, why, why? Please, give it back.

I'm not able to annotate my PDFs: I open a PDF, and the "a" icon is obscured.
If I tap on the icon, nothing happens.
I'm using iOS (latest update), the issue is both on my iPad and iPhone.
The Evernote App is updated.
How can I fix it?
I'm a Premium user (that means: I'm paying you, and I'm sustaining your business...).
Or should I shift to Google Drive and annotate my PDFs with a third party App, and get back to the free plan of Evernote?
Thank you.

IMG_0458.PNG

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Version 8 has many issues, however I wasn't aware of tags not working.  Can you elaborate?

I'm most concerned about loss of notes, the other stuff seems more cosmetic in comparison

Showing notes with a certain Tag (say "@Store") shows all notes with that tag, even the ones that have been in the Trash for days, weeks, months, or years.  No, emptying the trash every time that I delete a note is not a good solution or work around since I occasionally do want to recover a note from the Trash.

Hi!

With this update you have effectively ruined my existing workflow (GTD with own modifications), which I have refined over the last years. I am less than happy about it.

Why would you remove a feature such as the home screen, without giving me the option to activate it in settings? Please understand that you are not providing a casual dating app but a tool which is a core component of many people's daily workflow. The home screen was a great way of allowing customizability.

If you are to make big changes, please let the user still do changes in settings and for example change defaults and reactive hidden features, so that it can work with existing workflows. The tools is to serve the user, not the other way around.

Now I seriously have to consider looking for other solutions. Partly because my workflow no longer works but also since I feel I cannot trust Evernote with having this much influence over my daily workflow since I never know what breaking changes you might do.

I have been a power user, premium customer and giving recommendations for many friends as a part of the GTD workflow. Now I am not so sure.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Einar said:

With this update you have effectively ruined my existing workflow (GTD with own modifications), which I have refined over the last years.

This would be a separate topic post but you could present your existing workflow for discussion

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Cheeriegirl said:

Auto sync is not functioning on my iPad as it did with the former version of EN. If I modify or create a note on my laptop or iPhone, the edits or new note do not appear on the iPad until I close EN, then reopen.

Its working for me.
I have background update enabled in Settings
I can also manually trigger the sync process by pulling down on the note list

For some reason, I occasionally get an "uable to sync" message but I just keep triggering the sync

I have a notebook that has many items with the title sorted alphabetically. Before version 8.0, I could easily click on an alphabet letter on the right side of the screen to immediately go to the start of that note section. It appears that alphabet list has disappeared from the right side and I cannot find a way to bring it back. That means if I want to go to the start of a note that begins with say, the letter T, it's a LOT of scrolling before I can get there. How do I get the alphabet navigation back?

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, dcwebman said:

How do I get the alphabet navigation back?

There are some suggestions for downgrading your software
It may just be an oversight, otherwise a feature request should be posted - I'd wait a bit until this release gets stable

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Ron Vutpakdi said:

Showing notes with a certain Tag (say "@Store") shows all notes with that tag, even the ones that have been in the Trash for days, weeks, months, or years.  No, emptying the trash every time that I delete a note is not a good solution or work around since I occasionally do want to recover a note from the Trash.

Emptying the trash seems like a good solution.  
You might look at other methods to keep a backup of your notes

Deleted notes in searches doesn't seem consistent; I'm interested if it's intended or an outstanding bug

A few requests for the next update:

1) The iOS top bar is cut off by evernote app. It's a bit distracting. See top left corner of screenshot. "Verizon" is cut off. 

2) BRING BACK PRESENTATION MODE! This is a feature I paid for when I signed up for premium. Don't take away features from premium users they paid for.

3) Please stop asking me if I want to turn on notifications for background sync. I want to manually sync for various reasons. Ask me once... then stop asking me.

Decent update... but some critical misses.

IMG_0895.PNG

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Cheeriegirl said:

Forgive me if this has been posted/discussed. Auto sync is not functioning on my iPad as it did with the former version of EN. If I modify or create a note on my laptop or iPhone, the edits or new note do not appear on the iPad until I close EN, then reopen. This certainly decreases the functionality of the app and makes syncing too slow. 

It is a bit slower.  After you are done with the note, click on another.  The up arrow in a green background should appear.  When it is gone you are synced.  Or drag the note list down to force a sync,.

Evernote,

Please expedite the updated 3D Touch support.

In particular:

- view reminders from 3D Touch on the home screen launch. 

- 3D Touch vice long press for the new note options

- 3D Touch within a note results in an "insert" function for photos or sketch  (to be embedded where touched)

Without prior review, I updated my iPhone 7 to Evernote version 8+.  After spending time looking for the 'dark' vs 'light' switch, I realized 'dark' and front page was gone; very disappointed.  I use the free Evernote versions on the desktop and iPhone as opposed to free OneNote.  Given the manner in which I use the desktop version, and troubled "Web Clipper", and now this.  I am hard pressed to see my way to paying for them. 

This release either was not beta'd or was beta'd by a few non-power users.   With that comment I am sorry if I offend anyone.   I am a premium user, have 26K notes, and rely on Evernote as my brain prothesis.  However, with this release 8.01, I had no choice but to downgrade (really upgrade) to a previous version of Evernote.  This all gives me much concern over the leadership of Evernote and where Evernote is headed.

To release a version — especially touted as an upgrade — that is such a fail is abysmal.

/rant

Surely there must be a better way of enticing new users to join the platform than stripping away features to make the app more "simple". I'd be happy with an app that started out with a simple interface but allowed me to add "complications" to the screen as advanced toggles to have power user options. 

What we have instead is a dumbed down version of Evernote when it appears that people have been asking for more, not fewer options. This seems like an odd strategy to me when so many options exist for free or nominally priced simple note taking apps. I'm sure Evernote has done market research and thought about this in depth and simplicity and removal of features and productivity options was the result.

All of this occurring while undermining the stability and reliability of what for me had been a relatively reliable product. Think about how his would have been received in the enterprise setting? It reminds me of windows 8 that was poorly adopted in the work place. 

I'm giving Evernote the benefit of the doubt here for a while. However, I'm also planning to look at other options. I've been recommending this product to everyone for years and now I have to retain many reservations - especially with regard to data loss. The app should be robust enough to handle data loss without requiring the user to have a supplementary backup and export system. 

Please, please, please bring back Presentation Mode for the iPad. I rely heavily on it for delivering talks, and if it's not turned on then nearly every time I put my finger on the screen to scroll through my notes the keyboard pops up.

I want to use Evernote as my only presentation app, but at this point I either have to use another program (Word, Docs, Pages) to write out and present my outline, or I have to save my outline as a PDF and transfer it into Evernote. Either my delivery or my preparation suffers by continuing to use Evernote without Presentation Mode. 

I have to say that I'm not at all pleased that the alphabetized bar on the right hand side of the screen is not supported any longer. My only choices are to either search (that is if I am already sure of note title) or go through the entire alphabet to find the note. That means I don't get to hit a letter any longer to go directly to all notes under that letter. This is a real loss and I will look to other note forms to see if there is a better app. 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, mdk1 said:

Evernote 8 is the new Windows 8 failure.  

I'm not a Windows user so I don't get the reference
You did say failure so I get the intent

If you're referring to the response to UI changes, I don't give them much value
Every release has users responding I hate it, I want to switch back

The failure I see is that the software lost notes and bricked devices (EN wise)
This is Defcon1; Most Severe; Will Not Be Implemented

Then there are assorted bugs that will be sorted out over time

For my group, we had estimated 2 weeks to review this release
This may be extended, but after that I'm confident we'll roll out the release

And then go through it all again for the next release

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm not a Windows user so I don't get the reference
You did say failure so I get the intent

Pundits would say Windows 8 was the unsuccessful and unpleasant stop between Windows 7 and Windows 10.  Not Microsoft's finest hour (well a year or three I suppose).

On 2017-01-18 at 3:41 PM, GrumpyMonkey said:

LOL. Well, I've tried and failed to use Work Chat. Sometimes it is OK (when emailing notes, for whatever mysterious reason, fails). Sometimes not. It is never useful, though, at least in my situation. I admit that I don't really get why this was created.

But, there may well be people out there who enjoy using it, so I think even those of us who have no love for the feature would be fine if they'd let us hide it away out of sight. I don't care if it is removed or not, as long as it isn't pushed on me, especially with nagging. I think a lot of the hate came from having this pushed at us by locking it into the UI and so forth.

Anyhow, let's say the developers read my post and want to call me out on it -- fine, if they shouldn't be spending time fiddling around with the UI, what should they be doing?

1. Give me control over font size (with numbers, please, not "small" or "large")

2. Give me more sort options. One day, in another "exciting" update, they got rid of the sort options and dropped us down to three. Windows has a couple dozen, I think. Put that into iOS. Competitors have managed to do it, by the way, in an unobtrusive and effective manner (I count 10 options in one of them).

3. Give me control over the metadata (like we have in OSX).

4. Give us Context. We had it once, but then it disappeared in an "update." 

5. Display clipped web pages correctly.

6. If I do a search, and it locates a note with the term inside of a PDF, open the PDF and highlight it for me. Don't make me run a whole new search on every PDF trying to track it down.

7. Allow me to display PDFs inline. 

8. Is there a way to share a notebook publicly? If so, I just cannot find it. 

These are just a few things that occur to me right now. I am sure I could come up with more (besides the bug fixes). There is plenty of stuff out there to keep the developers busy, I think. Personally, search is one of the most important features for me, and when that is implemented in a clumsy manner (as it is now), that causes the most friction. Evernote still has one of the best searches on iOS, but there is room for improvement, in my opinion.

A note on Context - it seems to come back once in a while. I haven't figured it out...
With respect to your  Metadata and font sizes request, I disagree with you and I think it would be a step backward. Those are important things to be able to do, I agree, but the role Evernote plays is that of a notetaker app, not a desktop publisher/word processor. And this is what keeps Evernote as streamlined as it is (unlike the MS rival app we all know, a fantastic app but that is just too bloated for the quick use Evernote lends itself to). In fact I'm hoping for a slightly streamlined EN in the future—I feel this update is a step in the right direction. It is indeed a challenging balance to strike.

I installed evernote to my new iphone and the notes under my offline notebooks contain empty or incorrect contents. I think you messed up my notes, evernote. So what to do now? How can I recover my old notes? ;( I am currently looking for OneNote as alternative now until you fix this mess. Im disappointed because I have been loyal to you guys. Please fix this! 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Gabriel L. said:

A note on Context - it seems to come back once in a while. I haven't figured it out...
With respect to your  Metadata and font sizes request, I disagree with you and I think it would be a step backward. Those are important things to be able to do, I agree, but the role Evernote plays is that of a notetaker app, not a desktop publisher/word processor. And this is what keeps Evernote as streamlined as it is (unlike the MS rival app we all know, a fantastic app but that is just too bloated for the quick use Evernote lends itself to). In fact I'm hoping for a slightly streamlined EN in the future—I feel this update is a step in the right direction. It is indeed a challenging balance to strike.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree then. Many of the apps I use on a regular basis (including the browser where I am writing this now) have mastered the art of presenting a simple interface with the ability to select font sizes, styles, colors, etc. Even the plain text editors I use are more advanced in this respect. I am not requesting clutter. I'm requesting power and control over my data. All of these things can be done in an elegant manner. I recommend the developers keep a few of Edward Tufte's books on hand for inspiration. 

The metadata request doesn't seem terribly burdensome or bloated. Again, other apps manage to do it. And, the inability to edit the metadata makes it impossible to do very simple things such as change the created date, change the author, or view the note history. All of these can be extremely useful, especially when you experience data loss and may not have access to your computer for days or weeks. 

I'll take streamlined, too. In fact, as I said, I think they did just fine making the app beautiful. But, having functionality and elegant simplicity are not mutually exclusive. I could list many, many apps (including competitors) who strike a very nice balance (in my opinion). 

But, fair enough. Let's agree to disagree. Let's say they streamline the app further and remove more features they deem unnecessary. OK. I'll support them. Just don't dump the app on users with no heads up. Instead of sending out marketing blurbs devoid of content ahead of a release, maybe let users know you're going to do X, Y, Z for "reasons." That'll give us time to prepare, even if we aren't too happy to be paying for an app that increasingly does less :(

I downloaded 8.0 and it would not even start up - it just crashed every time. Deleted...re-downloaded...and better. Then 8.0.1 came out. Problems seemed to be solved, but now it asks for my iTunes password EVERY TIME I open Evernote (though not as often if I keep the app constantly open). There doesn't seem to be much difference between entering my password or just hitting cancel (please tell me if I'm mistaken). No matter what, please fix this bug.

Items in Trash, with Tags, is listed when searching or using a Tag In the Shortlist.

I use Tags on my notes, and then some of those tags are used in my Shortcut list on my iPhone. This is handy because I can list all things related to the Tag ".Monday" or things I need to shop for with".shopping-list". When that action or item is not required, I can ten simply swipe and delete. Now, with the upgrade, I can swipe and delete, but then the item is still listed because of the tag, but in the Trash instead fo the original folder. Is there a way to stop including the Trash folder as part of the tag search in thew iOS version?

4 hours ago, whitakerwritings said:

I downloaded 8.0 and it would not even start up - it just crashed every time. Deleted...re-downloaded...and better. Then 8.0.1 came out. Problems seemed to be solved, but now it asks for my iTunes password EVERY TIME I open Evernote (though not as often if I keep the app constantly open). There doesn't seem to be much difference between entering my password or just hitting cancel (please tell me if I'm mistaken). No matter what, please fix this bug.

I have the same problem here on my iPhone7s+ and my wife as the same on her iPhone6s+. It keeps asking us to enter our iTunes password. And you're right when you wrote that hitting on "cancel" doesn't make any difference.

can this being fixed asap please??

What happened to the "cards" view?  Very difficult to navigate iPad version in vertical orientation, which is how I like to type and read.  Too much wasted white space--the notes list only holds a few previews, causing major scrolling headaches through recent notes.  You must "expand" a note to add a few words because the note list takes up half the horizontal space.  The "action" buttons add another stripe of stolen space--these should go along the top.  Do you think we all have giant fingers?  There should be a more compact "compact" view at the very least.  Resizeable preview pane would be great. Even AOL webmail has that!

12 minutes ago, Lesicaire said:

I have the same problem here on my iPhone7s+ and my wife as the same on her iPhone6s+. It keeps asking us to enter our iTunes password. And you're right when you wrote that hitting on "cancel" doesn't make any difference.

can this being fixed asap please??

+1 - a nuisance!

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, tassiecelt said:

So I guess we are now at Apples pleasure, waiting to approve 8.02 this may or may not fix the disastrous update. Either way, my confidence is evernote has taken a beating. 

I wasn't aware that version 8.0.2 had been completed.  Last I heard, it was still being worked on at Evernote  

Edited: Confirmed, we're now waiting on Apple; 

Edited: I installed 8.0.2 - solved my PDF annotation problem

Users may want to hold off upgrading to version 8 until it is more stable.  

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ryanhanly said:

the item is still listed because of the tag, but in the Trash instead fo the original folder. Is there a way to stop including the Trash folder as part of the tag search in thew iOS version?

This was already posted.  We don't know if search including Trash was intentended or is getting fixed.  
A suggestion was to empty the trash frequently

Workaround for inability to select note in search (where selection changes to top or higher note):

1. Tap and drag desired note in the list to top of screen -- high enough so the date but not the border around note disappears.
  2. Tap the note.

Or do in reverse order (in which case, note will be downloaded twice).

11 hours ago, winzuton said:

I installed evernote to my new iphone and the notes under my offline notebooks contain empty or incorrect contents. I think you messed up my notes, evernote. So what to do now? How can I recover my old notes? ;( I am currently looking for OneNote as alternative now until you fix this mess. Im disappointed because I have been loyal to you guys. Please fix this! 

Same here (long term premium power user):

• Some images that show on other clients (Windows, Android, Web) don't show on iOS. If you edit the notes, those images are lost. (ticket filed,...)
  • I still see an older problem that I had reported more than a year ago (wrong images in notes). (ticket filed and closed long ago without resolution) 

Note that there is NO integrity check on your offline database. Sometimes it seems to sync incorrectly to iOS, and that will be your problem. I cannot recommend this release for anybody who cares about their notes.

I fully a comment by GrumpyMonkey that Evernote likes form over function; the GUI is eternally redesigned and dumbed down targeting users with less than about 2 notes, with anything that could benefit power users left out. Search crippled, no scrolling/scrubbing if you have many notes (why is it even released without that). At least we didn't get new features, like work chat trying to cripple email.

I'm also a OneNote user; it is great (eg, for taking notes) but serves for me a different, complementary purpose, as it does not allow to classify (tag) and meaningfully search large numbers of small notes. Should I migrate, I worry about ~8 years of notes, and yes, that's more than 2 notes.

I keep my fingers crossed that any major Windows release will not be messed up. 

8 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree then. Many of the apps I use on a regular basis (including the browser where I am writing this now) have mastered the art of presenting a simple interface with the ability to select font sizes, styles, colors, etc. Even the plain text editors I use are more advanced in this respect. I am not requesting clutter. I'm requesting power and control over my data. All of these things can be done in an elegant manner. I recommend the developers keep a few of Edward Tufte's books on hand for inspiration. 

Yes for probably the worst editor in a note taking application, yes for liking Tufte.

The update does NOT preserve existing functionality.

I use the Apple pencil on an iPad with Evernote to maintain my daily working notes. Every day starts by duplicating yesterday's note, erasing things I completed, and I was good to go. Each note contained a number of full screen handwriting "images" that I could tap to resume editing.

Now, after a duplicate, all of the "images" lose the ability for further editing.

Please restore the ability to always continue editing handwriting notes.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, humanengr said:

Workaround for inability to select note in search (where selection changes to top or higher note):

1. Tap and drag desired note in the list to top of screen -- high enough so the date but not the border around note disappears.
  2. Tap the note.

Or do in reverse order (in which case, note will be downloaded twice).

Or use the search icon for searches until search from the note list gets fixed.

On 1/19/2017 at 11:34 PM, DTLow said:
On 1/19/2017 at 10:05 PM, Tcellguy said:

I hate to say this but I think that Evernote is not interested in being a feature-rich platform for power users anymore

My impression is this release has some serious bugs that neen to be fixed

I'm not reading anything else into it

It's not just about a few bugs. Features are removed without replacement. The information density goes down (fewer notes shown, miles of white space in the web-redesign, as if large monitors are something of the past). Re-engineering (well, not to say dumbing down) user interfaces over and over while while not addressing shortcomings users have been complaining for years. These seem to be strategic decisions; this is where the development work is invested.

Back to the bugs: It is the ultimate insult to (not only) power users to shove out such a poorly tested version on a platform where it is very difficult to go back to older versions. Plus, bugs in the database and the sync issues seem to be there for good (>2 years for getting corrupted notes on the iPad, with no possibility of identifying). 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, lhb said:

Note that there is NO integrity check on your offline database. Sometimes it seems to sync incorrectly to iOS, and that will be your problem.

I actually have set up offline notebooks; I haven't seen any problems but I'm mostly online so possibly my offline data is never accessed.  I'll start switching offline to check my data

I'd think most IOS users would not be using offline notebooks.  In which case Evernote doesn't maintain much of an offline database

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, lhb said:

Yes for probably the worst editor in a note taking application, yes for liking Tufte.

I mostly use my Mac for editing, which provides a marginally better editing experience
In another discussion an alternate product was discussed that gives you the choice of which third party editor to use.
I liked that because its my solution when I need serious editing - I switch to dedicated apps

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I actually have set up offline notebooks; I haven't seen any problems but I'm mostly online anyways

I'd think most IOS users would not be using offline notebooks.  In which case Evernote doesn't maintain much of an offline database

Good for you, but it's advertised, it's functionality that I find useful enough to pay premium, and ... it is not reliable and a liability when you're using it.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, lhb said:

Plus, bugs in the database and the sync issues seem to be there for good (>2 years for getting corrupted notes on the iPad, with no possibility of identifying). 

What corruption are you seeing?

2 minutes ago, EdH said:

What corruption are you seeing?

Wrong images from another note in my note. A ticket was filed, there were some follow-up questions. It continues to happen in 8.0.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, lhb said:

Wrong images from another note in my note. A ticket was filed, there were some follow-up questions. It continues to happen in 8.0.

ok, same thing I've seen then, except with me it is usually wrong PDF file shown. :mellow:

By the way, don't edit the note on your iOS device. If you can edit it in some way on your PC/Mac or Web, it should fix it on the iOS device. I've done that successfully twice.

Once I did edit it on the IOS device thinking that might force a resync and fix it, and it made the incorrect subject/body combo the actual note. I had to restore from note history on my Windows PC.

Just now, EdH said:

ok, same thing I've seen then, except with me it is usually wrong PDF file shown. :mellow:

I didn't go through all my notes to check, but things like that do not fill me with confidence for safety of my notes.

Mostly it's just images missing attachments without a possibility to resync those notes (just the entire notebook, and hoping that these are the ones getting synced this time). 

I don't dare editing notes on iOS anymore.

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, lhb said:

it's functionality that I find useful enough to pay premium, and ... it is not reliable and a liability when you're using it.

Thanks for the warning - I'm going to start checking my offline data

>>Good for you, but it's advertised, it's functionality that I find useful enough to pay premium

No. it's not good for me.  I'm horrified the data won't be there when I need it

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, humanengr said:

But AFAICS the search icon does not allow restricting search to specific notebook or tags.

notebook:xxxx tag:aaaa tag:bbbb

Its not easy - I rely on saved searches

On 1/20/2017 at 1:55 PM, alvinpang said:

Generally much more nimble but I'm really missing the Note Card view from the old version, esp on my iPad.  I don't want nor need a full preview on the right (it's also a security risk for over-the-shoulder peekers).  I'd rather have the option to turn off the full preview and use the screen space to display more note cards.

I'm a Premium User.

Exactly my thoughts. The new user interface means, I can only view 6-7 notes on my iPad at once. Earlier using the cards interface it used to be 12 notes at once. That's almost half of what it used to be. Of what use is my 10 inch screen for evernote? My iPad has become a big iPhone when it comes to using evernote, which is a huge pisser and a deal breaker in terms of UI and usability. Moreover, they took away the presentation mode for ever, when the world has already moved to close to 13 inches iPads, which are excellent for presenting things to a small group of people on a round table conference. Removing it from the iPad is so stupid that I am at a loss of words to express my frustation. My other iPad's are never getting the new evernote updates!

me too, a Premium user.

• Level 5*

But

But AFAICS the search icon does not allow restricting search to specific notebook or tags.

Correct.  Kind of a pick your poison until EN fixes it; scroll the list or add terms when using the search icon.  Not pretty and a PITA.

OK. Have now had the new app for a while, but have now reverted back. 

What a tremendous difference in my workflow! It was because of all of the bugs and actually I couldn't quite remeber the value of the home screen, since it was such an enheritted part of my every day life. But I can only say: WOW!

Since I don't backup my iPhone through iTunes and because I am on Windows, I used this guide: https://writekay.github.io/Legal-Download-Legacy/. It took some time and focus, but I managed in my second try. 

I found it here, which also has other solutions to go back to previous versions: http://lifeinlofi.com/2015/12/30/how-to-reinstall-older-versions-of-apps-on-your-iphone-or-ipad/

Now I will consider wether Evernote is the future for powerful knowledge management for this century, an my premium subscription worthy..!?!

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, KNielsen said:

Since I don't backup my iPhone through iTunes and because I am on Windows, I used this guide: https://writekay.github.io/Legal-Download-Legacy/. It took some time and focus, but I managed in my second try. 

That is a lot of tedious steps. Too bad the App Store doesn't have a "revert to previous version" option for users.

8 minutes ago, KNielsen said:

OK. Have now had the new app for a while, but have now reverted back. 

Given the occasional tremendous changes in the user interface (I've lived through several of those) with impacted users both through missing functionality and bugs, I'd suggest that Evernote approach this the way some other companies with other apps approach it: Generate a separate "preview" version of the app, which is installed separately and where new versions can be tested -- in parallel to the "production" version -- and refined until they're ready for prime time.

This forum shows that there are a large number of dedicated and knowledgeable users that have their work built on Evernote would love to test and give feedback. Many spend more than a fair amount of time helping other users. A different approach would allow them to do so without having their workflow completely destroyed, possibly along with some notes. 

I can't understand why Evernote repeatedly chooses to cause their "evangelists" despair, frustration and anger, rather than leveraging their knowledge in the development and marketing process. This way, they'll soon be gone.

1 hour ago, lhb said:

Given the occasional tremendous changes in the user interface (I've lived through several of those) with impacted users both through missing functionality and bugs, I'd suggest that Evernote approach this the way some other companies with other apps approach it: Generate a separate "preview" version of the app, which is installed separately and where new versions can be tested -- in parallel to the "production" version -- and refined until they're ready for prime time.

Totally agree. Would you care to start this as a separate thread so readers can approve using the 'Voting' mechanism?

8.02 is released. Don't bother installing it.  Here is a note I posted immediately after the announcement of 8.02

And it is still a piece of garbage. It still crashes on my iPad Air 2.  I still have unsynced notes on my iPad, so the reinstall "fix" is not an option.  How long is this ***** going to go on? 8.00 crashed. 8.01 crashed. 8.02 crashes. What next Evernote? Is anyone bothering to even test these new releases? Are you unable to duplicate the issue? Have you considered sending out a private beta of a new version to some of us who are experiencing this issue? (I know for fact as an iPad developer that is possible to do.)  Seriously your reputation is getting severely tarnished on this fiasco. And no one seems to be listening.

• Level 5*

Does anyone know what was addressed in 8.02? (App Store info is only for 8.0.)

What's fixed in 8.0.2:

• Fixed our top crasher - related to thumbnail generation in note list snippets
    • This surfaced as crash on launch, crash when scrolling a note list, or crash on search
  • Swiping to delete a newly created empty note will no longer move another note to Trash
  • Audio, ink, & file attachments are now inserted at the cursor position when editing a note
  • PDF annotation (Premium feature) is no longer disabled for some PDFs
  • Zooming in on an image in annotation no longer resets the size of the image on that screen
  • The app UI no longer gets stuck in an odd view when partially swiping back in Settings
  •  
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, GShell said:

8.02 is released. Don't bother installing it.

This is very poor advice

I've been advising users to hold off on version 8 until it becomes stable,
but for those stuck in version 8 hell, you should upgrade to the most current release
(unless serious concerns have been identified)

The latest release notes are here

What's fixed in 8.0.2:

• Fixed our top crasher - related to thumbnail generation in note list snippets
    • This surfaced as crash on launch, crash when scrolling a note list, or crash on search
  • Swiping to delete a newly created empty note will no longer move another note to Trash
  • Audio, ink, & file attachments are now inserted at the cursor position when editing a note
  • PDF annotation (Premium feature) is no longer disabled for some PDFs
  • Zooming in on an image in annotation no longer resets the size of the image on that screen
  • The app UI no longer gets stuck in an odd view when partially swiping back in Settings
  •  

Hi, I'm more or less satisfied with the refresh. I'm pleased about the speed improvements. I have a few disappointments, however. (I wrote somewhere else that I would like a serif display font option.)

• I'm dissapointed about the text editing options at note editing screen, such as highlighting and colours. I realize it's not an enormous addition, but it adds to the bloat and distraction of the software—I never use the built-in Bold-Italic-Underline controls anyway, in fact I use the iOS keyboard buttons or keyboard shortcuts (I use an external keyboard). You've made the writing experience more focused in spite of that, admittedly, which I appreciate.
  • I'm disappointed there is no way creating a new note while in the middle of writing another one. Is it possible just to add a little green plus button that would stay there no matter what I'm doing in EN?

Thank you for the work!

• Level 5*

Hadn't thought to look there because @cifip had posted re 8.01 and plans for 8.02 here. Should there be a notice in this thread to stop discussion here and move over there?

I'd stick to this discussion, otherwise we'd have to repost all the issues

I appreciate all the effort Evernote does to continue to improve the user experience. I have been a premium user for a few years now, primarily for the presentation mode. While most people use this mode to present to others, I use it on my Ipad to read notes while I am giving a speech or delivering a workshop. This function was what sold me, and kept me as a premium user.

I noticed multiple other people also requesting this function back and you were keeping track of it. I realize that you can't make everyone happy, nor is that a healthy aim, but I need to know if you plan on bringing the function back. I use this function at least once a week for speaking. 

As a 6 year user of Evernote, I really don't like the new interface on the iPad. It's really dumbed down, less efficient to use, having to drill down to get to features especially during editing. Should be able to customize the toolbars, all the empty space on the screen is unnecessary and inefficient. Now the experience on my iPad is much different than on my laptop.

Tried to use the web interface thru iPad browser so the experience is more like my laptop, but for some reason that is not allowed.

Very disappointed !!!

17 minutes ago, Gabriel L. said:

I'm dissapointed about the text editing options at note editing screen, such as highlighting and colours.

Highlighting had been immediately available in the older version (along with strike-through) and so it's disappointing extra steps are required now to access this feature (which I use frequently).

I started another thread on the formatting/editing bar here.

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, jacobberger said:

Thank you for your post.  I will need to investigate further before I install the software, but it was interesting that versions are available for download.

I like your very first point:  Turn off automatic upgrade

I'd like to emphasize this as a general rule.  No one should install upgrades without knowing details

Archived