New Evernote for Windows 6.1 GA Release

Hi there. We just released a new version of Evernote for Windows. You can download it here.

Here's what's changed in 6.1:

New:

• Quick Search
    • Effortlessly switch between notebooks, tags and searches. Just hit Ctrl + Q from anywhere in the app to give it a try.
    • Switch to specific notebooks and tags across your Personal and Business content even faster.
  • Note zoom: Ctrl+Plus, Ctrl+Minus, Ctrl+0.

Improved:

• Tag view is back! Use this view to easily filter, edit and organize your tags.
  • Show and edit note dates directly from the note editor.
  • Take snapshots and insert them directly into your notes.

Fixed:

• Minimized Evernote window will now be correctly restored to it's previous state, be it normal, maximized or docked.
  • Search Box and Quick Search text entry fields will not accept formatted text any more.
  • Some images were only shown as attachments. They are now consistently rendered inline.
  • Audio recordings are now saved when navigating away from the note.
  • Ink note shape recognition is now fixed.

Try this out:

1. Find a note that has many lines of plain text.
  2. Select several lines of text from the middle of the note.
  3. Hit Ctrl+x to cut those lines of text to the clipboard.
  4. Go somewhere else in the same note and click at the end of an existing line of text.
  5. Hit Enter to insert a new line underneath the existing text.
  6. Hit Ctrl+v to paste the contents of the clipboard (several lines of plain text).
  7. Notice where the text insertion caret is blinking.
  • Level 5*

This issue still exists in this public. 

If I create an All search with two tags, I cannot modify the search by deleting either of the tags.  After multiple clicks (3 or 4) on the x the tag will be removed from the search.  Eminently repeatable.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, eldrin said:

Try this out:

1. Find a note that has many lines of plain text.
  2. Select several lines of text from the middle of the note.
  3. Hit Ctrl+x to cut those lines of text to the clipboard.
  4. Go somewhere else in the same note and click at the end of an existing line of text.
  5. Hit Enter to insert a new line underneath the existing text.
  6. Hit Ctrl+v to paste the contents of the clipboard (several lines of plain text).
  7. Notice where the text insertion caret is blinking.

Thanks for providing these steps. I've repro'ed the problem and we're looking into it.

Something I believe I've mentioned in the past, which has always bothered me with Evernote, is still a problem in v6.1.2.

Basically, the issue is that there are various scenarios where it is possible for multiple nodes to show as being selected simultaneously (or having focus) in the Left Panel. It really should be the case that only one node in the Left Panel can be highlighted at any time, depending on where you actually are.

Take this for example:

1. Select one of your tags in the Left Panel so that the notes associated with that tag are displayed in the Right Panel.
  2. Hit Ctrl+q, then type a word word that appears in some other note that isn't even tagged with the tag you chose in Step 1, and then hit Enter.
  3. Notice that the focus/highlight in the Left Panel moves to 'Notebooks' because the search has occurred against all notes. But notice too that the original tag is still selected/highlighted in the Left Panel, even though you're not in that view anymore. That highlight on the tag should have disappeared as soon as the focus/selection moved to 'Notebooks' at the top level.

An even simpler way:

1. Select a tag so that it is highlighted in the Left Panel.
  2. Click the 'All Notes' button on the toolbar so that focus moves to 'Notebooks' and all notes are shown.
  3. Notice that the tag from Step 1 is still highlighted for some reason.

Is this helpful? I really hope this situation can be improved in future versions.

Dragging the scrollbar with the mouse on long notes that consist of many checkbox items (e.g. ToDo Lists) is extremely herky-jerky.

This is in contrast to plain text notes that don't have checkboxes, where dragging the scrollbar is nice and smooth. Is there some optimization you can do to improve the situation?

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, FactMan said:

Vertical note panel has gone - bring it back ASAP!

Scratch that - I have found it - CTRL-F8. That's what you get for installing the update late at night!

Thanks Evernote for listening to your users and re-exposing the created date! It is an essential (re-)improvement.

Now, I was hoping for a keyboard shortcut as well, to "Set focus to the Created Date field of the active note". I am aware this is not important to every user, but for us who rely heavily on the Created Date for the organisation of our library, it would be a significant workflow improvement. Is this in the workings?

Good stuff all around.  If I could suggest two things that would help my workflow immensely.

1) Keyboard shortcut to move a note to a different notebook,  Mac currently uses Cmd + Ctrl + M

2) Keyboard shortcut to set focus to the note list for navigation.  Mac currently uses something like Cmd + | (Cmd + Shift + \)

I am loving the Windows client...maybe even a little more than the Mac one.  Don't tell those guys and gals.  Shhh.  But one thing the Mac client kills at is keyboard control. 

On 6/2/2016 at 7:06 PM, eldrin said:

Dragging the scrollbar with the mouse on long notes that consist of many checkbox items (e.g. ToDo Lists) is extremely herky-jerky.

This is in contrast to plain text notes that don't have checkboxes, where dragging the scrollbar is nice and smooth. Is there some optimization you can do to improve the situation?

I have a note that is heavily loaded with check boxes and it scrolls smoothly.  Perhaps there's a Windows video performance issue on your machine?

• Level 5

The Note Zoom feature is only temporary. I don't remember this problem on the beta.

If I enlarge a note, then look at another note, the zoom automatically disappears on the original note.

Evernote for Windows 6.1.2.2292 (302292) Public

• Level 5
2 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

The Note Zoom feature is only temporary. I don't remember this problem on the beta.

If I enlarge a note, then look at another note, the zoom automatically disappears on the original note.

Yes, by design, Note Zoom is transient at the moment. I'll bring up your feedback to our PM this week.

• Level 5
16 minutes ago, emerick said:

Yes, by design, Note Zoom is transient at the moment. I'll bring up your feedback to our PM this week.

Thank you for passing on my comment. A disappearing zoom is better than no zoom at all. 

Unfortunately, my age-related deteriorating vision is not transient. 

1) Working with the new general release today, ctrl-Q brings up quick search as in the beta, but it reverts to All Notes as the search scope. Steps:

click on a stack or a notebook in a stack

ctrl-Q, select a search

Search executes on All Notes

2) Maybe I'm not getting it, but the display only shows created OR updated.  I would prefer to see both.  It's better, but I don't think it is perfect.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, eafpres said:

1) Working with the new general release today, ctrl-Q brings up quick search as in the beta, but it reverts to All Notes as the search scope. Steps:

I believe this is the intended behavior, refresh  content context. 

• Level 5
2 hours ago, eafpres said:

2) Maybe I'm not getting it, but the display only shows created OR updated.  I would prefer to see both.  It's better, but I don't think it is perfect.

If you don't have any created  dates in the future, you could use the any: command depending on the time range you want. Just save the search criteria you want. Examples:

any: created:day updated:day

any: created:week updated:week
any: created:week-1 updated:week-1
any: created:week-2 updated:week-2

any: created:month updated:month
any: created:month-1 updated:month-1
any: created:month-2 updated:month-2

Edit: if you have the >View >Search Information toggled on, you can revert back to the specific notebook you want by clicking on the drop down arrow.

Search Information.png

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?! I'm a paying customer who has liked your Windows application for its cleanliness, But Now you have some stupid upselling "Upgrade" button that continually reappears despite being removed from the toolbar. Thank's for making ruining part of my experience!

Found a bug.

If I apply a style to more than 255 tags the sync will fail:

Uploading 256 item styles
EDAMUserException: errorCode=BAD_DATA_FORMAT parameter="preferencesToUpdate"

When I set just 255 styles the sync is fine. My guess is preferencesToUpdate is defined to hold only a single byte. Should be relatively easy to fix.

Updated to the latest public EN this morning and set the styles via the tag manager (now that I can finally apply styles to more than one at a time).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, tserio2k9 said:

Found a bug.

If I apply a style to more than 255 tags the sync will fail:

Uploading 256 item styles
EDAMUserException: errorCode=BAD_DATA_FORMAT parameter="preferencesToUpdate"

When I set just 255 styles the sync is fine. My guess is preferencesToUpdate is defined to hold only a single byte. Should be relatively easy to fix.

Updated to the latest public EN this morning and set the styles via the tag manager (now that I can finally apply styles to more than one at a time).

This is not a bug according to the reponse I have received directly from EN. I reported this as early as in the closed beta, and in following threads. As of now this is a limitation in the same way that you are limited to 250 notebooks. The only bug is that EN let's you set 255+ styles.

Hopefully they will remove this limitation as I think styles in the way that they have otherwize been implemented is a really great feature.

21 hours ago, csihilling said:

I believe this is the intended behavior, refresh context. 

Hi, cshilling--can you clarify what you are suggesting by "refresh content"?  Thanks.

20 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

If you don't have any created  dates in the future, you could use the any: command depending on the time range you want. Just save the search criteria you want. Examples:

any: created:day updated:day

any: created:week updated:week
any: created:week-1 updated:week-1
any: created:week-2 updated:week-2

any: created:month updated:month
any: created:month-1 updated:month-1
any: created:month-2 updated:month-2

Edit: if you have the >View >Search Information toggled on, you can revert back to the specific notebook you want by clicking on the drop down arrow.

Search Information.png

Hi jbenson2--I am good with searches using various parameters including date.  It would just be more useful to me to see both dates in a selected note without having to do anything else.  Understand this is my preference / feature request and the intended behavior is working. Thanks for your search tip, though.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, eafpres said:

Hi, cshilling--can you clarify what you are suggesting by "refresh content"?  Thanks.

If you want to narrow the search even further, you are not supposed to use Quick search/Ctrl+Q.

All deeper search is located around the search results, where you use the tag picker to filter among relevant tags, and click "several" to filter among relevant notebooks (or notebook picker to filter with a known notebook).

btw @emerick and @kvitekp , I suggest you make that "in several notebooks" a bit more obvious, as it is a new great implementation but you pretty much have to know it's there to use it. Right now it looks like a plain suggestion, and not a useful drop down menu.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

btw @emerick and @kvitekp , I suggest you make that "in several notebooks" a bit more obvious, as it is a new great implementation but you pretty much have to know it's there to use it. Right now it looks like a plain suggestion, and not a useful drop down menu.

I stumbled upon this and think it is a great addition.  Adding a down arrow to the right of "several" indicating a drop down would be helpful.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, eafpres said:

Per @gustavgi Ctrl-Q resets search context to All Notes, ie refreshes context.

Sorry about that, if I could only type.... fixed in original post. 

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, eafpres said:

It would just be more useful to me to see both dates in a selected note without having to do anything else.

Workaround, but my standard view is side list (Ctrl-F8) with created date as a visible column.  I display updated date in the note header area.  So both are visible at the same time, though only updated is maintainable.  FWIW.

3 hours ago, csihilling said:

Workaround, but my standard view is side list (Ctrl-F8) with created date as a visible column.  I display updated date in the note header area.  So both are visible at the same time, though only updated is maintainable.  FWIW.

Thanks, I have been kind of addicted to snippet view; I'll try your suggestion and see how I do.  I like the images in the snippets; helps me find things

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, eafpres said:

Thanks, I have been kind of addicted to snippet view; I'll try your suggestion and see how I do.  I like the images in the snippets; helps me find things

Get it, though if you set the note header date to updated you can see created and updated in Snippet, but not Card. 

ScreenClip.png

I'm not really image centric and most of my searches yield less than 25 notes so side list works well for me.  Not for everyone for sure.

ScreenClip 2.png

On 6/5/2016 at 2:17 PM, gustavgi said:

This is not a bug according to the reponse I have received directly from EN. I reported this as early as in the closed beta, and in following threads. As of now this is a limitation in the same way that you are limited to 250 notebooks. The only bug is that EN let's you set 255+ styles.

Hopefully they will remove this limitation as I think styles in the way that they have otherwize been implemented is a really great feature.

That's a weird limitation since I'm not applying 255+ different styles, but rather a handful of styles to 255+ tags. It's essentially now a limit on tags if you want to use colors.

I agree that they should rethink this limitation.

20 hours ago, csihilling said:

Thanks @csihilling for that clarification on the search context.   Good to know before I start using heavily.

For those of that use EN on both Windows (office) and Mac (home), I am struggling with my mental mapping of "Q" == "Quit" as in Command+Q == "Quit Evernote" on the Mac.

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, Mike McGowan said:

Thanks @csihilling for that clarification on the search context.   Good to know before I start using heavily.

For those of that use EN on both Windows (office) and Mac (home), I am struggling with my mental mapping of "Q" == "Quit" as in Command+Q == "Quit Evernote" on the Mac.

You are welcome.  Yeah, funny how quickly we forget, but I'm reasonably sure Ctrl-Q used to be Exit in Windows pre V6.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Mike McGowan said:

Q is for Quick search. It's pretty much only Unix based systems and software that use Q for quit. Ctrl+Q and Win+Q have several different functions on a windows platform.

I think I have found a bug.

If you insert a table in EN for Windows and limit the table to a certain size, this size is not interpreted.

To reproduce this:

• create a note
  • insert a table and limit it to e.g. 3 x 3 AND limit it to 85% or some other fixes size (150 px)
  • Hit OK
  • The table is inserted but it is always expanded to the full width of the note and not limited!
  • This is reproduceable since version 5.9.1.8742 and of course in the current 6.1.2

Any comments on that? Can that be reproduced?

Sorry, but I did not find the time to post it earlier ...

• Level 5*
On 6/5/2016 at 8:29 AM, emerick said:

I don't know of any app that behaves like this.  Why would you guys think we would want this?
If we want to return to 100% zoom, it is easy enough:  CTRL+0

I've seen Evernote do this numerous times -- deviate from a well-established standard.  May I ask why?

Just to be clear, what makes an app intuitive is when it behaves like well-established standards.  Kinda like, CTRL+V to paste.
If Evernote changed this to paste plain text, or paste and match style, for whatever reason, it would NOT be intuitive to many users.

So, may I suggest, that unless you have a very, very compelling reason to deviate from long-established app UI behavior, that you go with the established standard.  If you do choose to deviate, then it is incumbent on your to clearly state that you have made the change, and why you have made the change.

I'm sorry, isn't this all Software Design 101?  Or, do they not teach that anymore?

After this patch I found that all PDFs are inserted inline now, no way to have them pasted as symbol, it seems. Also, when right clicking the inserted (then inline) PDF "show as attachment" is greyed out.

(I already checked: in the options "always show PDF as inline" is not active.)

Is anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT: It seems the PDF DOES convert from inline to symbol, but only after the new note is closed...

On 6/6/2016 at 8:15 AM, eafpres said:

Hi jbenson2--I am good with searches using various parameters including date.  It would just be more useful to me to see both dates in a selected note without having to do anything else.  Understand this is my preference / feature request and the intended behavior is working. Thanks for your search tip, though.

+1 on this. 

I was stoked when I read the release notes and saw the update would put note dates back in the note editor. After updating, I was trying to figure out how to enable the dates and couldn't find it so came here for help...then I noticed the "xx minutes ago" on a note I just recently edited. What the?! Ok then, let me go into note options to enable the create date too. Wait. What? Only one or the other? :::sigh:::

Also, why it gotta be in relative time now rather than absolute time? I frikkin' despise relative timestamps and wish there was an option to disable them in every app on the planet for all eternity. BTW, I was also going to ask what difference toggling on/off "Always show time of day" made because it wasn't doing anything for me but then I figured it out: it only applies to notes over 24 hours old. Anything <24 hours old shows relative time while notes >24 hours old show "real" time and THERE is where you can either show or not show the clock time (time of day) in addition to the date. 

@eafpres, I am totally with you on snippet view - cannot live without it! I've tried list and card and neither one works for me. My notes tend to be image heavy so the thumbnails give me an instant visual preview but then I also get the perfect amount of note title and text preview without the clutter that I feel in card view. 

#snippetviewgivesmelife ..... #downwithrelativetimestamps

en_why_you_hate_me.png

Thumbs up on getting back the option for the shortcuts bar to appear top horizontally so that more shortcuts are visible (show as separate toolbar option).

Best Regards

JPaz

• Level 5
7 hours ago, BrianScott said:

After this patch I found that all PDFs are inserted inline now, no way to have them pasted as symbol, it seems. Also, when right clicking the inserted (then inline) PDF "show as attachment" is greyed out.

(I already checked: in the options "always show PDF as inline" is not active.)

Is anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT: It seems the PDF DOES convert from inline to symbol, but only after the new note is closed...

Yes, we're aware of that problem and have already fixed it internally. It will be available in our next release.

On 02/06/2016 at 11:57 PM, eldrin said:

Something I believe I've mentioned in the past, which has always bothered me with Evernote, is still a problem in v6.1.2.

Basically, the issue is that there are various scenarios where it is possible for multiple nodes to show as being selected simultaneously (or having focus) in the Left Panel. It really should be the case that only one node in the Left Panel can be highlighted at any time, depending on where you actually are.

Take this for example:

1. Select one of your tags in the Left Panel so that the notes associated with that tag are displayed in the Right Panel.
  2. Hit Ctrl+q, then type a word word that appears in some other note that isn't even tagged with the tag you chose in Step 1, and then hit Enter.
  3. Notice that the focus/highlight in the Left Panel moves to 'Notebooks' because the search has occurred against all notes. But notice too that the original tag is still selected/highlighted in the Left Panel, even though you're not in that view anymore. That highlight on the tag should have disappeared as soon as the focus/selection moved to 'Notebooks' at the top level.

An even simpler way:

1. Select a tag so that it is highlighted in the Left Panel.
  2. Click the 'All Notes' button on the toolbar so that focus moves to 'Notebooks' and all notes are shown.
  3. Notice that the tag from Step 1 is still highlighted for some reason.

Is this helpful? I really hope this situation can be improved in future versions.

@emerick Is anyone at Evernote looking into this?

• Level 5*

Is it on the agenda to fix the issue where the two-finger scroll on touchpads (using a Surface Pro 4 here) will not scroll the note list window (upper right) when in Top List View? This was reported early in the beta. The two-finger scroll works great in note bodies and the notebook/tag listing, but not in that list view window, where it is really important.

On 6/6/2016 at 5:02 PM, csihilling said:

Get it, though if you set the note header date to updated you can see created and updated in Snippet, but not Card. 

ScreenClip.png

Thanks, I sorted that out.  I'm currently using list view w/updated as a column, as that is how I view 75% of the time, 24.9% by title, and 0.1% other.  The reason I want to see created at the same time, (which is demonstrated in cshilling & therefore is now a very minor feature request), is that there are times I may have clipped the same info 2x due to the way all my automated information collection works, then later I discover that and keep the earliest one as a rule, based on created date.  Thanks again for the feedback and help.

" Basically, the issue is that there are various scenarios where it is possible for multiple nodes to show as being selected simultaneously (or having focus) in the Left Panel. It really should be the case that only one node in the Left Panel can be highlighted at any time, depending on where you actually are. "

1 hour ago, eldrin said:

@eldrin  I have seen this issue in various forms and never reported it.  It has caused some issues like moving notes I didn't intend to, or deleting a note I didn't intend.  These are recoverable, but it is a really odd behavior.  Thanks for bringing it to light.  I have not done the work as you did to repro--if someone is interested I can try to do so. Next time it happens to me will try to document.  FYI, has been there for several past versions.

@eafpres, I am totally with you on snippet view - cannot live without it! I've tried list and card and neither one works for me. My notes tend to be image heavy so the thumbnails give me an instant visual preview but then I also get the perfect amount of note title and text preview without the clutter that I feel in card view.  "

I agree that snippets are a great balance.  I too have images; also I have thousands of PDFs and it is easy in snippet view to see which notes have those attached.  Nonetheless, I'm working in list view for now per suggestions from cshilling, and I'm getting happy with that.  I switch between updated date and title sort all the time, and list view lets you do that by clicking the column--much faster than clicking the drop-down then clicking the sort by.

FWIW, I put YYYYMDD in front of the title on 99% of my notes, where that date is either the date the content was tagged (i.e., an article or resource from the web) or the date retrieved if there is no date available (in that case, I use YYYYMMDD (retrieved) in front of the title).  This allows me to sort using title in chronological order, which is a third way as compared to created or updated.

Since updating to this latest 6.1.2.2292 I've noticed that when pressing Ctrl-Alt-N (which is my hotkey for a new note) the new note already has some tags assigned to it.

Apparently it depends on which saved search shortcut was selected in the shortcut list when the main Evernote window was last closed.

For example, if I have a shortcut "Tag:.2-Next Tag:.Home" selected in the shortcut list and I close the main Evernote window, when I later press Ctrl-Alt-N in the middle of some other program, the new note automatically has tags ".2-Next" and ".Home" already assigned. I think this should not happen, this is a bug.

Markku

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, markkul said:

Since updating to this latest 6.1.2.2292 I've noticed that when pressing Ctrl-Alt-N (which is my hotkey for a new note) the new note already has some tags assigned to it.

Apparently it depends on which saved search shortcut was selected in the shortcut list when the main Evernote window was last closed.

For example, if I have a shortcut "Tag:.2-Next Tag:.Home" selected in the shortcut list and I close the main Evernote window, when I later press Ctrl-Alt-N in the middle of some other program, the new note automatically has tags ".2-Next" and ".Home" already assigned. I think this should not happen, this is a bug.

Markku

Deselect "assign selected tags to new note" in options.

On 6/6/2016 at 11:35 AM, csihilling said:

I think you meant phraseexpress, too, buddy. :) Which, by the way, I'd never heard of and it looks really awesome, so thanks (However it's spelled!)

8 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

Deselect "assign selected tags to new note" in options.

Wow, thanks!

Was this added in this release, or did I only notice it now?

Update: Actually, since when having a saved search selected means the same as selecting the tags :-D

Markku

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, markkul said:

Wow, thanks!

Was this added in this release, or did I only notice it now?

Update: Actually, since when having a saved search selected means the same as selecting the tags :-D

Markku

It's new in v6. I personally think it's great that they've implemented this, as tags now work more similar to notebooks if you want them to.

I think it's natural that if you are using a saved search and you want to add a note in that context, you just click add new note and it will show up among the search results when using that saved search in the future. Instead of having to move the new note to the desired notebook and add all the relevant tags manually.

And if you want the note to go to the default notebook instead, the only thing you have to remember is to reset the context by clicking the X on the search bar first.

And saved searches have always just been a shortcut to either certain notes containing the search term, or the selection of a notebook or tag(s).

Thoughts on the update: 

:DGood stuff: Zoom seems to be working well. For my adoring fans (all both of them) I'll occasionally Instagram a quick picture of whatever piece I am writing at the moment (see first pic). Zoom makes that much easier. I haven't had much need for it on my laptop, but I can see some need for it on my tablet (Win10), so I think it will be useful.  

The Ctrl-Q search is going to be incredibly useful, although I've not tried it yet. When referring to callbacks and foreshadowing, I need to skip around within a story to figure out what character said/did what in certain chapters. This is going to make things much easier.

:) Bug fixes : although I have not been personally forced to deal with any of the bugs fixed in this update, I want to encourage the idea that every update should include way more of them than new "features." This update currently has five bugs fixed to five new or improved features, or 1:1. Not a good ratio! Fix bugs, then add new stuff. 3:1 is a good ratio.

:(Irritations: I completely agree with @Leothan, the addition of the "Upgrade" button in the middle of our toolbar is an irritation. When your product works properly I will pay for an upgrade again! Until then, you shoving that in front of me is just an annoyance. It isn't as irritating to me as it is to him, probably because I canceled my subscription years ago when bugs weren't getting fixed, but he's a paying user and has already upgraded, so that's kind of offensive.

Additionally, as mentioned in a "Feature Request" post I made a few days ago, I neither want nor need a shortcut on my desktop after every update. If I wanted a shortcut on my desktop, it would already be there. I'd like to have that removed from the next update, please. iTunes users hate it and complain about it every time they update. Why our devs can't take a hint from that is a little perplexing. 

Yeah, sure, I could just delete it, but why do I have to do so? That's like me throwing a beer can on your yard and then saying, "What? You can just throw it out if you don't want it there." You're messing up the Feng Shui of my desktop. Stop it.

On a slightly different matter, the updater removed the Evernote shortcut from the Windows 10 Metro interface. (See second pic.) Rather than remove this shortcut, and then add another one I don't want to my desktop, is it possible to leave this one alone and not  add the second one to my desktop? Most of the other software with shortcuts in Metro don't seem to need to remove or replace their shortcuts when updating, including Adobe Acrobat, which as we all know updates 2.7 times per minute.

I'd grade this update a B+. I would seriously like to see an update that is nothing at all but bug fixes. That would be an A++ update.

Keep up the good work. 

IMG_20160608_135707.jpg

Screenshot 2016-06-08 15.13.32.png

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, Coach Wade said:

I think you meant phraseexpress, too, buddy. :) Which, by the way, I'd never heard of and it looks really awesome, so thanks (However it's spelled!)

Indeed I did, I shall go back and edit the original.  I find PE to be quite handy for repetitive processes and searches, even for cleaning up emails prior to sending to EN.

3 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Indeed I did, I shall go back and edit the original.  I find PE to be quite handy for repetitive processes and searches, even for cleaning up emails prior to sending to EN.

Google found it with no trouble, FYI. 

• Level 5
On 6/2/2016 at 7:06 PM, eldrin said:

Yes, this will be fixed in 6.2.

I have a problem with V6.1.2.2292.  Not sure if it is just me but if a drag (copy) a image from one note to another it will disappear from new location on closing note or navigating away form the note in note panel. It looks like it's at the new location but it's not.

If i annotate the image it will up date in the note it was copied from but not the active note, if I print the note the image is missing.  I have tried draging an image between two open notes, to the note panel from a open note and to a open note from note panel but get the same thing happening, the change will not stay and the image is gone from the new location when I reopen the note.

Loony

Note.If I cut and past there is no problem.

On 08/06/2016 at 4:19 PM, eldrin said:

@emerick @kvitekp I sure do hope someone at Evernote is going to respond at some point. We the users have been beta testing this product (and I'm referring to the so-called "stable" versions) for years, providing bug reports for free, and you can't be bothered to read the forums and acknowledge the issues?

4 hours ago, eldrin said:

@emerick @kvitekp I sure do hope someone at Evernote is going to respond at some point. We the users have been beta testing this product (and I'm referring to the so-called "stable" versions) for years, providing bug reports for free, and you can't be bothered to read the forums and acknowledge the issues?

And people wonder why I'm so exasperated with Evernote development staff.

That. Right there. In a nutshell.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Coach Wade said:

Why wasn't it fixed in this release? Why are you sitting on bug fixes for known issues? 

Because then 6.1 wouldn't be out right now..

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, eldrin said:

I'm sure your reports are valuable, but I bet these types of small misleading bugs are considered less important than other bugs and priorities. In this case a user has to consider that the only correct representation of what the current "selection" is, is shown in the search description - where the current notebook and tags are shown.

• Level 5
10 hours ago, Jon lowbank said:

I have a problem with V6.1.2.2292.  Not sure if it is just me but if a drag (copy) a image from one note to another it will disappear from new location on closing note or navigating away form the note in note panel. It looks like it's at the new location but it's not.

Thanks for reporting this, we've confirmed the issue and are working on a fix.

@gustavgi I wonder why you are so accepting of Evernote having so many "small" bugs. After so many years in development it should be pretty polished by now. In addition to lots of "small" bugs there have been many major bugs that have had to be fixed in recent months too, which caused lots of problems for many people for many years. So there's a two-fold problem: the foundations (for the big underlying things) were clearly very shaky, and progress on the "small" bugs isn't going so well either, due to an apparent lack of quality testing and lack of attention to detail.

I wonder why you rush to their defense so quickly. They're a commercial organization, with a commercial product.

Many millions of dollars of venture capital have been sucked up by Evernote for the development of their product. Many would argue that for the many millions of dollars spent so far, the product should be in a much better state than it is.

I know that this is hard for you to accept and that you will have more things to say in their defense.

If you are happy with your Premium subscription (I assume you're also paying for Premium), and you think the product is as good as it needs to be for your needs, then that's fine, but you shouldn't take issue with the rest of us pointing out the things Evernote is getting wrong, no matter how "small" they may be.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, eldrin said:

@gustavgi I wonder why you are so accepting of Evernote having so many "small" bugs. After so many years in development it should be pretty polished by now. In addition to lots of "small" bugs there have been many major bugs that have had to be fixed in recent months too, which caused lots of problems for many people for many years. So there's a two-fold problem: the foundations (for the big underlying things) were clearly very shaky, and progress on the "small" bugs isn't going so well either, due to an apparent lack of quality testing and lack of attention to detail.

I wonder why you rush to their defense so quickly. They're a commercial organization, with a commercial product.

Many millions of dollars of venture capital have been sucked up by Evernote for the development of their product. Many would argue that for the many millions of dollars spent so far, the product should be in a much better state than it is.

I know that this is hard for you to accept and that you will have more things to say in their defense.

If you are happy with your Premium subscription (I assume you're also paying for Premium), and you think the product is as good as it needs to be for your needs, then that's fine, but you shouldn't take issue with the rest of us pointing out the things Evernote is getting wrong, no matter how "small" they may be.

Since when am I defending bugs or the state of EN? I agree with most of what you are writing. But you didn't complain about that. Instead you complained about why EN staff are not writing forum posts where the reporting of your small bugs are recognised.

Like I wrote, EN likely value your contributions and they most likely read all posts in the official threads. But you can't expect to get a public thank you for bug reports and especially smaller bugs. However the times they do acknowledge and give thanks are a nice way of showing their precense and gratitude.

2 minutes ago, gustavgi said:

But you can't expect to get a public thank you for bug reports and especially smaller bugs. However the times they do acknowledge and give thanks are a nice way of showing their precense and gratitude.

The thing I'm concerned about is bugs getting fixed. Simple.

In one of the other threads where you quoted my reply, I was referring to the fact that @kvitekp had finally acknowledged a bug (one of the "small" bugs as you refer to them), and then said that it would be fixed in v6.1. I then went on to report that it actually wasn't fixed in the final release of v6.1 at all, at which point @kvitekp went quiet. Not a peep. So as far as I can tell, that "small" bug is no closer to being fixed and the matter is still completely open-ended.

And in this thread, I've pointed out another "small" bug, to do with the multiple selection/focus in the left panel. That has been happening for a very long time. And yet no-one at Evernote has ever even acknowledged it.

I'm active in the forums of other software products that are developed sometimes by a single developer, where they (the developer) reply to many threads every day (i.e. to pretty much everybody that takes the time to report anything at all). With all of Evernote's millions of dollars, you don't think they could/should afford to have someone providing a better response in their forums, showing that they're taking all feedback and bug reports onboard, and working to get them resolved? Doesn't matter how small the issues are, the users are providing feedback for free, something that most companies have to pay QA teams a lot of money for. Instead we just see a lot of burying of heads in the sand and a whole lot of silence. No respect for the users or their time.

41 minutes ago, eldrin said:

The thing I'm concerned about is bugs getting fixed. Simple.

In one of the other threads where you quoted my reply, I was referring to the fact that @kvitekp had finally acknowledged a bug (one of the "small" bugs as you refer to them), and then said that it would be fixed in v6.1. I then went on to report that it actually wasn't fixed in the final release of v6.1 at all, at which point @kvitekp went quiet. Not a peep. So as far as I can tell, that "small" bug is no closer to being fixed and the matter is still completely open-ended.

And in this thread, I've pointed out another "small" bug, to do with the multiple selection/focus in the left panel. That has been happening for a very long time. And yet no-one at Evernote has ever even acknowledged it.

I'm active in the forums of other software products that are developed sometimes by a single developer, where they (the developer) reply to many threads every day (i.e. to pretty much everybody that takes the time to report anything at all). With all of Evernote's millions of dollars, you don't think they could/should afford to have someone providing a better response in their forums, showing that they're taking all feedback and bug reports onboard, and working to get them resolved? Doesn't matter how small the issues are, the users are providing feedback for free, something that most companies have to pay QA teams a lot of money for. Instead we just see a lot of burying of heads in the sand and a whole lot of silence. No respect for the users or their time.

I don't think @gustavgi was defending Evernote, even though I don't agree with his answer even a little bit. 

I think there are a lot  of users who are pissed at the Evernote development staff, and for good reason. They have earned this ill-will from the users. They typically don't respond to bug reports. They roll out random new features no one asked for, while ignoring failures in basic functionality that is, in fact, the whole reason anyone ever installs their product. 

I, too, am active in forums for other software developers, and I've never in my entire life been as ignored as I am by Evernote staff. Now, they can point to my present surly demeanor as the reason, or they can acknowledge that when I first came here in 2010 I was polite, friendly, respectful-- and not one friggin' thing I said was ever listened to, replied to, or fixed!

I'm also not impressed that I asked @emerick a direct question about why this was not fixed in the current release, and he has replied to other messages in this thread while ignoring my simple query. That is exactly why I don't trust the Evernote development staff any further than I can throw a wet box spring mattress up a spiral staircase. 

Ignore a user for six years and he's going to stop being the friendly and sweet guy. He's going to start ripping you open. And now that I've done so, I've been called everything from a tantrum thrower to a whiner instead of the one word I should be called, which is customer.

Notice that higher up in this thread I posted that a 3:1 bug fix to new feature ratio is what Evernote should be striving for. That was two days ago, and not one Evernote employee has even bothered to reply to the post or hit "like" to let me know that at least it's being read. 

22 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Because then 6.1 wouldn't be out right now..

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. @emericksaid the fix was complete. This was less than sixteen hours after the update was pushed out. Bearing in mind that we are talking about a development staff with a long and dismal history of ignoring bugs to add features. Now they have a bug fix, and they aren't releasing it. 

The only reason I can even conceive of such lunacy is that they are preparing to release some other damfool stupid feature no one wants or asked for in the next release, and they want a few more bug fixes to sweeten the pot so longtime users feel the developers are actually doing something about the fact that their product has gigantic, gaping holes in it.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Coach Wade said:

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. @emericksaid the fix was complete. This was less than sixteen hours after the update was pushed out. Bearing in mind that we are talking about a development staff with a long and dismal history of ignoring bugs to add features. Now they have a bug fix, and they aren't releasing it. 

He didn't say it was complete. He said it will be in the next release. I assume that EN plan for which features and bugs that need to be fixed before pushing out a new release, and that this was one of the bugs that the fix either didn't make the deadline or was pushed to the next release so that 6.1 could be pushed out.

• Level 5
On 6/9/2016 at 10:59 AM, Coach Wade said:

Why wasn't it fixed in this release? Why are you sitting on bug fixes for known issues? 

The bug was reported on this forum on 6/8, 3-4 days after 6.1 was released. Therefore, it will be in 6.2 along with all of the other fixes that have been made since 6.1. 

Another cut-and-paste bug. Try this:

1. With a bulleted list, select the last few words of one of the lines.
  2. Hit Ctrl+x to cut those words to the clipboard.
  3. Hit Home to go to the beginning of the line.
  4. Hit Ctrl+v to paste.
  5. Notice where the text insertion cursor ends up.
  • Level 5*
On 6/10/2016 at 0:49 PM, eldrin said:

Many millions of dollars of venture capital have been sucked up by Evernote for the development of their product. Many would argue that for the many millions of dollars spent so far, the product should be in a much better state than it is

I agree, completely.

@gustavgi, perhaps you can't see this in your own writings, but to me many of your posts do come across as defensive of Evernote.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I agree, completely.

@gustavgi, perhaps you can't see this in your own writings, but to me many of your posts do come across as defensive of Evernote.

Well it might come across as defensive of EN if you see everything here in a black and white "us vs. them" kind of way.

EN is a commercial product, and the effect of not listening to it's user base is going to be a non-loyal user base. That's the price the company themselves must decide if they want to pay. But EN doesn't owe anybody anything when it comes to bugs that doesn't compromise the data which is yours. It's not a user democracy. Therefore I am totally against the "they must" or "they owe me/us" mentality that some people are expressing when it comes to bugs/lack of features. This includes hostile attacks on how EN is doing their business.

So when I write that I think people are wrong when they express themselves in that way, I'm not really taking ENs defense. The fact is that most of the time I actually agree on the matter which is the basis for the users frustration. Like I have written before, I think EN did very little, and most things wrong from 2012-2015.

But sure, occasionally I will also express my defense for the implementations EN make, if I think EN has done the right thing.

So when it comes to actual specific complaints/bug reports about the software, or requests that EN change their policys, I am all for those. But rhetorical questions like "why hasn't/didn't EN....?" doesn't get you anywhere. My first standard answer in those situations would always be "probably because you or others didn't start by giving a good enough description of why and how important the issue is to you, so that EN understands why they should put resources into fixing just that instead of other things they are working on".

I am also of the opinion that if I can live with a bug for some time, it shows that it's not a deal breaker for me. But sure, "bugs" etc. do stop me from recommending EN to friends. 

Personally I am of the opinion that new features are just as important as fixing the old bugs that I have gotten used to living with. And by new features, I don't mean unrelated features like Workchat.. I mean features that help me create better looking notes, and especially those that make it easier to find my notes and related notes.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

Well it might come across as defensive of EN if you see everything here in a black and white "us vs. them" kind of way.

I don't see everything that way by a long shot, and, IMO, your statement is defensive/rationalizing, but we are really getting off-topic here (which I contributed to).  So, if you feel the need for a parting blow, I won't bother to respond any further on this off-topic.  ;)

On 6/10/2016 at 5:06 PM, gustavgi said:

He didn't say it was complete. He said it will be in the next release. I assume that EN plan for which features and bugs that need to be fixed before pushing out a new release, and that this was one of the bugs that the fix either didn't make the deadline or was pushed to the next release so that 6.1 could be pushed out.

I stand corrected. Thanks, Gustav. 

See, I can admit when I'm wrong. 

On 6/10/2016 at 8:38 PM, emerick said:

The bug was reported on this forum on 6/8, 3-4 days after 6.1 was released. Therefore, it will be in 6.2 along with all of the other fixes that have been made since 6.1. 

Thank you, Emerick. The wording of the reply made it seem like, "We've got this fixed. We just chose not to release that fix yet." That was probably a perception error on my part. I appreciate the heads up. I apologize if my posts engendered any extra confusion.

17 hours ago, JMichaelTX said:

I don't see everything that way by a long shot, and, IMO, your statement is defensive/rationalizing, but we are really getting off-topic here (which I contributed to).  So, if you feel the need for a parting blow, I won't bother to respond any further on this off-topic.  ;)

I think Gustav is actually pretty fair. I agree with him that it can be all too easy to forget that the reason we are here is because we actually like Evernote! If we didn't, we wouldn't put this much effort into trying to help the developers get it working. 

So, I was looking at my Android account yesterday, trying to find a program I'd installed a couple of years ago for a friend. I realized that. since my first smartphone, I have installed over two hundred apps. I currently have about fifty installed on my Galaxy S6 that didn't come with the phone. Of those remaining 150, I'd say about a solid hundred of them I uninstalled, usually with extreme prejudice, when something went wrong. Sometimes I had to demand a refund from the developers or the Android Market. Sometimes I merely left a quick review. 

Evernote is one of the only ones where I actively participate in the forum to try to improve the product. 

• Level 5*

Bug (to me): Ctrl+q search doesn't show search results for notebooks and tags if you only type in one letter. It shows the saved searches though. It seems like the tag and notebook search starts to run at 2 letters (just like the regular search field now starts at 2 characters).

Example: It's unfortunate if I have several tags that starts with/contains a special character like ! , and I want to find a tag called !tag , I have to remember that the second letter is a t; !t

The tag picker and notebook picker works as expected though.

The reason for not using the tag picker instead is that some of my tags are maxed out in letters and I have a word and the special character at the end (tag within a tag to connect related tags through search results), and the tag picker suggestions have an unfortunate larger letter limitation compared to Ctrl+Q.

My personal problem could of course also be solved by a further 10 character expansion of the tag pickers adaptive suggestion box. This was improved a bit in 6.1, so I thank you for that. Still I don't really see a reason why an adaptive box still has a max limitation which doesn't match the maximum character input of notebook/tag names (which today applies to both "pickers" and Ctrl+Q). So that remains a personal request as well.

It also seems like the regular search field doesn't recognize emojis anymore. I used to be able to find notes with (?) in the title, but not anymore. It would be nice if that was brought back.

EDIT: revised post.

When I select a notebook and filter out the notes by more than one tag and then if I click on of the tags to remove it from the filter I am having to click on the x to remove the tag for 3 or 4 times before it will remove from the filter.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ianfm said:

When I select a notebook and filter out the notes by more than one tag and then if I click on of the tags to remove it from the filter I am having to click on the x to remove the tag for 3 or 4 times before it will remove from the filter.

My workaround until EN fixes the problem is to change the search from All to Any, delete the tag, and then go back to All.  At least I don't have to guess at the number of times it will take to delete the tag.  :(

On 6/2/2016 at 10:10 AM, Justin Street said:

New:

• Quick Search
    • Effortlessly switch between notebooks, tags and searches. Just hit Ctrl + Q from anywhere in the app to give it a try.
    • Switch to specific notebooks and tags across your Personal and Business content even faster.
  • Note zoom: Ctrl+Plus, Ctrl+Minus, Ctrl+0.

I really like the new quick search feature and haven't had any issues with it yet. But I must say, Ctrl + Q is a poor choice of keyboard command! Ctrl + Q (or rather Cmd + Q) is almost universally used to quit a program on a Mac. For users like me who use both the Windows and the Mac versions, the muscle memory for searching has caused me to quit Evernote Mac accidentally several times....

For me, the update was uninteresting except that I lost a function  I constantly use which was apparently sacrificed for something I see little need for and can do almost as easily otherwise.

What i do ALL the time is paste text in from various sources while composing a note.  I then go through and select text to be titles, hit cntrl - B to bold them and ctrl +  to upsize them.  This organizes the information and makes the note readable for me    Now on this latest release,  when I do that, it changes the whole note not just the selected text.  For me, this is a loss. It's a move I make 20 times a day if not 50, to up and downsize text as I format notes for future reference.

As far as changing the text size for a whole note, I just don't see the need for that much.  If I did, I would hit ctrl-a and then ctrl +  to do it.  Currently i do that once a....year, maybe.

I would appreciate it if you returned the ctrl+ for sizing text selected.  If other users really care about zooming the whole note, then maybe add a zoom button or something, but please don't cannibalize good  longstanding functions for new ones.  Not considerate of users. The ability to quickly format selected text within the note is important. 

thanks

On 6/16/2016 at 4:20 AM, jcelle said:

No progress nor improvement on the interface: grey grey grey...

I am remaining on version 4.6

jcelle, to me it's all white with a slight grey in the left panel. I absolutely hate it. I don't know why the developers think users just want to see all white but I'm about to quit Evernote altogether due to it. That and the bugs that I still encounter but regarding the UI,  I've never understood why they gave Mac users the black background in the left panel of the Mac version but didn't do that for Windows users.

Have you just not upgraded since Evernote 4.6? Is that even safe to do and if so, is there any way to get one's hands on Evernote 4.0 install? I'd rather use that than burn my eyes out using version 6.

For anyone reading this post, have there been Windows users requesting more white space? If so, why?

• Level 5
20 hours ago, SWSL said:

I would appreciate it if you returned the ctrl+ for sizing text selected.  If other users really care about zooming the whole note, then maybe add a zoom button or something, but please don't cannibalize good  longstanding functions for new ones.  Not considerate of users. The ability to quickly format selected text within the note is important.

Ctrl+Plus and Ctrl+Minus are standard shortcuts for zooming the view in all internet browsers out there. Evernote just follows the trend.

You can increase/decrease selection font size using Ctrl+Shift+> and Ctrl+Shift+<

• Level 5
2 hours ago, deffnull said:

Two pages before I mentioned an error concerning the tables.

Any feedback on that? Is somebody able to reproduce that?

All issues reported here are verified and added to our bug tracking database. There is no additional communication unless we cannot reproduce the problem or have a workaround that you can use until the problem is fixed.

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, kvitekp said:

All issues reported here are verified and added to our bug tracking database. There is no additional communication unless we cannot reproduce the problem or have a workaround that you can use until the problem is fixed.

Possible to a add a reply like "Added to bug tracking" or the like to remove the uncertainty?

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, kvitekp said:

All issues reported here are verified and added to our bug tracking database.

Peter, that is great news!  You have answered a question many of us have had for a long time.

Does this apply to all Evernote products, or only to EN Win?

• Level 5*

Found something weird — unsure if it's a bug, intentional, unintentional, or a surprise...

Depending on whether or not Reminders are sorted by date, they either have the notebook title on top of them or have the "Add a reminder to ..." phrase. IMHO maybe they should have the same behavior? This only happens when viewing them by Tag selection, not Notebook, as well. The Notebook view has only the "Add reminder..." placeholder. 

Regardless, super low priority. Just thought I'd pop it in here.

Also, not to drag it out again, but — I've always felt I've gotten GREAT response from Evernote staff. To be able to regularly talk to and get replies from the staff of such a popular and well-used app is a great experience for me. Maybe it's because I try not to make subtle commentary on motivations, or question the decision-making of the company, or other things like that. I just report and hit submit. Not to accuse anyone in this of ANYTHING AT ALL — I just tend to see throughout the forums overall a lower response rate to people who tend to whine/complain versus constructively criticize, or come at things with the "why are you ruining my life?!" vs. the "I'd like to help resolve this" attitude. Hyperbole, of course! But I think sometimes comments get a bit passively personal or derogatory (often-times unintentionally) and I can imagine that getting very tiring for EN staff to read and try to respond politely to on a daily basis. We are all human.

TL:DR - Thank you Evernote staff for your presence here. I've personally had a rollicking good time and I think you guys get hit with more vitriol than thanks sometimes, so I want to add my thanks to the list. The interactions I've had here (with staff AND users) have made me more emotionally tied to Evernote than even using the app itself. So, thank you.

Also, being able to add styles to more than one tag is the bee's knees. THANK YOU!

21f0b06dc87b516ac6e9c1b7b02f16a9.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Another bug!

If I click into a new note and paste an image, the image doesn't show up in the note body but DOES show up in the snippet view preview. If I click in the note and get a blinky text input line and then paste, the image shows up. But just clicking anywhere in the note box and hitting paste seems to halfway place the image.

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, chirmer said:

If I click into a new note and paste an image, the image doesn't show up in the note body but DOES show up in the snippet view preview.

Strange.  I can't reproduce this.  How are you copying the file?  Is this from the screen capture tool or are you just copying a jpg file and trying to paste it in a note?

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, chirmer said:

If I click into a new note and paste an image, the image doesn't show up in the note body but DOES show up in the snippet view preview. If I click in the note and get a blinky text input line and then paste, the image shows up. But just clicking anywhere in the note box and hitting paste seems to halfway place the image.

What happens if you click another note, then come back to this note? I've seen an issue where the UI has a bit of a lag and clicking out and back in causes it to redraw the note.

• Level 5
On 7/6/2016 at 2:15 PM, chirmer said:

In the first scenario, how are you able to click into a new note without getting a blinking cursor? As soon as I right click to insert an image in any note, the blinking cursor is set to my current mouse coordinates in the editor. A video might help here, if at all possible.

On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 7:59 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Increase and decrease font size is Ctrl+Shift plus "+" or "-".  Zooming in and out with Ctrl plus "+" or "-" mirrors browser actions,  if not standard keyboard practice.  See keyboard shortcuts for more...

Actually, those shortcuts you offered don''t work, not in windows anyway,  but thanks for the link to EN's shortcuts page which now seems to reflect the change they just made.  I do appreciate it when any shortcut is standardized to the rest of Windows or browsers, whatever.  I had grown accustomed to Evernote's non-standard approach to text sizing up to now, but as long as there is a text sizing shortcut, I'm happy.

On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 4:09 PM, kvitekp said:

Ctrl+Plus and Ctrl+Minus are standard shortcuts for zooming the view in all internet browsers out there. Evernote just follows the trend.

You can increase/decrease selection font size using Ctrl+Shift+> and Ctrl+Shift+<

Thanks, those new shortcuts (sorta) work now and do follow the Microsoft shortcut assignment standards  as well as allowing your new zoom shortcuts to follow browser custom. 

I say sorta works because Ctrl+Shift+> and Ctrl+Shift+<   does not actually behave like EN's  old ctrl + and ctrl - did for all these years, nor does it behave like any other "upsize/downsize" command in Windows software.

Before,  in EN, one could select mixed text and as long as it was "clean" text and not constrained by web markup baggage, it would scale the text up and down from it's current size in increments while keeping the relative size differences among the text selected.   Now, in the latest version since the new "zoom" feature,  if I select a block of text that has, say, an 18 point title, 14 point subtitles and 10 point body and try to upsize it all one notch, everything becomes 19 point. If I then downsize, it's now all 18point.    Or, if the 10 point text is first, then it all is sized up or down from 10 points.   So it has the undesirable effect of removing any relative sizing already formatted and homogenizing the size of all selected text to match the first text in the block selected.      Not what you want when using an up or down size shortcut and not what MS will do in Rich Text, or Word, for example.   MS does it the way one would expect and the way that EN did it up to now. 

I don't know if you guys actually decided to change over to this new odd behavior or if it 's a bug due to the change but text sizing  really should work as it was before the "improvements". That's the standard and that's what users need with this command.

As an aside, for general input, I agree with others that EN often seems to be ahead of itself trying to do more and more, sell more new features before it's truly mastered the fundamentals and associated bugs.  It's a complicated task just to do what EN basically does, with mixed media and syncing and must require both brilliance and dedication, no doubt.    And it's understandable that both within EN and outwardly, it's more rewarding to move on to new stuff than to slog away ironing out the details of features introduced back at the beginning.  But, as you start pushing users into paid versions and then also raising the price to us existing payers, it becomes even more important that you do the main things right and well for the long-term users, even if it isn't as sexy..    MS understood this with their office software and it's the same attitude needed for turning EN into a new stalwart of productivity like the Office suite.  It's headed there, if you guys can truly stabilize it and make sure all the basics really work well.

Hope that EN can take that to heart, or at least get the text sizing back working correctly !

Cheers

• Level 5
5 hours ago, SWSL said:

Hope that EN can take that to heart, or at least get the text sizing back working correctly !

Keep pushing! Thank you for the valuable input.

• Level 5*
On 7/6/2016 at 2:35 PM, s2sailor said:

Strange.  I can't reproduce this.  How are you copying the file?  Is this from the screen capture tool or are you just copying a jpg file and trying to paste it in a note?

Whether I use the right click Copy option or click the image and use Ctrl+C, I get the same result. Any file does it - I've tried JPEG, PNG, and PDF. And, just testing PDF for the first time now, it even changes the note title to the name of the PDF. You can tell when I hit Ctrl+V because the PDF previews in the note list and the note title changes.

Screencast: http://screencast.com/t/27RJcEQTYg

When the mouse leaves the view, I left-clicked the New Note button. Forgot I'd need that in screen. Oops!

On 7/6/2016 at 2:44 PM, EdH said:

What happens if you click another note, then come back to this note? I've seen an issue where the UI has a bit of a lag and clicking out and back in causes it to redraw the note.

No dice :( still doesn't show up. Syncing doesn't have it show, either. 

On 7/8/2016 at 7:54 PM, emerick said:

In the first scenario, how are you able to click into a new note without getting a blinking cursor? As soon as I right click to insert an image in any note, the blinking cursor is set to my current mouse coordinates in the editor. A video might help here, if at all possible.

So sorry it's 6 days later! Hope this helps:

I only get a blinking cursor when I left-click in the first line of the new window - where the placeholder text sits. If I left-click anywhere else, it seems to bring the focus to the panel but doesn't make it active or allow me to type. 

Apparently Jing doesn't record mouse clicks so the first time in the video when I start circling the blinky line, I had left-clicked right on that line of placeholder text. The second time, when my mouse goes further down, I left-clicked down there - and you can see the blinky line go away. It's when I paste in that state that the image seems to stick somewhere in the note but doesn't show up. If I paste while I have a blinky line it's fine. When I eventually paste, in the video, I used Ctrl+V (because the right click menu wasn't an active option) and you can see the thumbnail preview pop up in the snippet view, but no image in the note.

http://screencast.com/t/P9VwGhRH9n

Windows 7 Professional SP 1 64-bit
Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB RAM

Evernote v. 6.1.2.2292 (302292) Public

Activity Log PM'd. 

Happy to send anything else you need!

• Level 5
17 minutes ago, chirmer said:

I only get a blinking cursor when I left-click in the first line of the new window - where the placeholder text sits. If I left-click anywhere else, it seems to bring the focus to the panel but doesn't make it active or allow me to type.

OK, now I understand. In version 5, newly-created notes had a visual effect that made them look like a short piece of paper that grows as you type into it. We removed that effect in version 6, but our editor still behaves as though that short area defines the active boundaries of the note. So when you click below what it thinks is "the note", it doesn't enable those menu items. We have a ticket open for this issue but no ETA on it yet. I'll let the PM in charge of that component know that it's causing confusion.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, chirmer said:

The second time, when my mouse goes further down, I left-clicked down there - and you can see the blinky line go away. It's when I paste in that state that the image seems to stick somewhere in the note but doesn't show up. If I paste while I have a blinky line it's fine.

Thanks for the video.  I can reproduce this now.  I was doing something slightly different.  If you left click at or near the top line in the body of the note you get the blinky cursor and then pasting is all good.  If you instead click further down in the body of the note you don't get the blinky cursor.  When the mouse indicator is at this location, where left clicking it will not show an input cursor, a right mouse button will show that paste is disabled.  That is how I usually paste so doing it this way I am only able to paste when the cursor is in the correct (top of note) position.  If you instead use cntr-V and attempt to paste the image you get the result you commented on.  

Looks like a bug to me too.  Since paste is disabled in the right mouse button menu in this state, cntrl-V should be disabled as well.  It is not pasting the image into the note but it is pasting something that the snippet image engine is picking up.

Archived