New Files section in the Evernote desktop sidebar

• Level 5*

This matches Attachments they have added to mobile.  I don’t see the utility on mobile but maybe it will find a good use on desktop.

• Level 5

So that means Files would essentially be a searchable assemblage of all your attachments? Maybe, depending on how it's implemented, a (marginally?) easier way to find an attachment or some information in it than regular search and filtering. I'd like to hear what some of the many users who use Evernote as a filing system think.

This may allow me to use Evernote as a filing system for files.  While I have files in Evernote, they are generally copies and I tend to keep the originals in File Manager.  I use those originals when I make changes to them.  It's just a little too awkward and difficult to use Evernote as my primary repository.  The weird path names, etc...  But if Evernote has some basic file management-type functions, I may change my mind.

Vinnie

• Like 1
On 3/14/2024 at 5:04 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

… I'd like to hear what some of the many users who use Evernote as a filing system think.

I use EN also as a filing system. But that not my primary usage and I think that one doesn't need a €100 p.a. tool for filing.

Having said that, a view to all attachments could be useful. But I don't want to sacrifice anything for it. And I absolutely need a way to save multiple attachments to the filesystem (as export). (Mind you, in V10 they took out the ability to save the attachments of a couple of notes selected in the notes list. It is only possible to save the attachments of a single note now. What a stupid idea.) Anyway, a file view with that ability (save multiple attachments) would help me. But that will depend on the ability to sort/display the files in meaningful, well thought-out ways (e.g. we should be able to sort such that files in a note are adjacent and I'd like to be able to filter the view to the notes that I selected prior).

In summary, it could be useful in some ways to me. But having seen the latest features and all the issues they introduced with them, I am kind of scared.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, Razmataz said:

Mind you, in V10 they took out the ability to save the attachments of a couple of notes selected in the notes list. It is only possible to save the attachments of a single note now. What a stupid idea.

Calling things stupid without knowing is becoming rampant in the forum. I think learning is a measure against it:

You can export all attachments from several selected notes, even from a full notebook. Select what you want to export, choose EXPORT and export as HTML. All attachments will be nicely arranged as files in a subfolder of the export folder. Done.

We have shared this solution several times in this forum already. Maybe use the forum search to find best practice answers like this one.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Oh, I know that „solution“, learned it from you, thank you. I even passed it on.
But it is a onerous workaround. It requires an export, which is OK and the same effort as before. 
then you need to go the new folder, into the subfolder, copy the attachments to the original target folder and delete the export folder. 
It can be done, sure. 
But my point is that it  is unnecessarily cumbersome, distracts and reduces productivity.

If it is better for you this way, rejoice. EN V10 was created for you. 

• 4 weeks later...

Got that yesterday. Interesting. Can be useful in some cases. But, as always with EN, also buggy: setting for "show file size" doesn't stick.

image.png.6b551c6ab481e21dc63fb55d4cf9db73.png

I cannot think of any reason why I would use this.  However, I have found a problem with it. I deleted a note containing a PDF file, but this file is still displayed in the Files section and as far as I can see, there is no means of deleting it.

8 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

I cannot think of any reason why I would use this.  However, I have found a problem with it. I deleted a note containing a PDF file, but this file is still displayed in the Files section and as far as I can see, there is no means of deleting it.

Just managed to delete it by going into Abobe Acrobat which had a link to it in my Offline Notes and managed to delete it from there.

Just got this feature, but all I get is a blank screen when I click on Files. I've left it there 5+ minutes at a time in case it's just slow to load. I'll test again once I update to 10.85.x.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

Just got this feature, but all I get is a blank screen when I click on Files. I've left it there 5+ minutes at a time in case it's just slow to load. I'll test again once I update to 10.85.x.

Logging out and back on worked for me.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

Just managed to delete it by going into Abobe Acrobat which had a link to it in my Offline Notes and managed to delete it from there.

If any businesses still use Evernote, this sounds like the makings of a data retention policy nightmare.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

I deleted a note containing a PDF file, but this file is still displayed in the Files section

Here 'files' will probably only make a core problem obvious, i.e. reveal that note handling has issues no one was aware of before.

Same with the 'search for attachment name' that @Dave-in-Decatur mentioned, this would allow to list all 'untitled attachments' 'unknown attachments' and hopefully will not give us a heart attack if we find too many of them...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Numerous issues with this new feature.  Some obvious ones, I don't know why they pushed it out so soon.  Here are a few that I've noticed.

Multiple copies

image.thumb.png.4d8f69706682b86e2fcb4a1dec38b1d4.png

There are actually many more copies of those, I just clipped a few ... I only have one file.  This is happening with several files and not just this one.

It says I can't preview it, ok, but then it wants me to download it.  It is already downloaded, why can't I just open it like I can from the note?  

image.png.b09106d3667ec425b791566b5eec991e.png

I've also seen the problem with password protected PDFs.

Media is picking up all of the flotsam images from web clipping.  It would be nice if they could filter those out somehow.

This is interesting but I'm struggling to see how I would actually use it.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, s2sailor said:

It says I can't preview it, ok, but then it wants me to download it.

Yep - preview works only for images and PDF. Other files (.XLSx, .DOCx and all others) throw only a message to open or download it 😞.

Search does not search within the files. 😞 If you are looking for a specific word within an Excel oder Word document, the normal search (within notes) will lead to the file - but not the search within Files 😤

But all-in-all the Feature itself is a very good idea

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

Basically, this is as much used as a chocolate teapot.

??? If it will be implemented completely (see above), it will get a very usefull tool to search for things around and inside attached files. I'm often sure that something is inside an attachment.

If the Files search will be able to scan text in images and sound files - bingo! Until now there's no search keyword to find text only inside attached files...

• Like 1

I'm obviously delighted that this will be useful for some people. Sadly many of my attachments are clipped from the web and their names are often not very helpful.

For me personally the whole point of having attachments in EN is to be able to add other information which either adds context or makes the file easier to find. This might be as simple as making the title of the note the actual name of a report rather than the meaningless title of the pdf.  Also the ability to add numerous attachments, with explanation, as part of a bigger story.  If all I wanted was a list of files then there are lots of options which don't use EN.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

??? If it will be implemented completely (see above), it will get a very usefull tool to search for things around and inside attached files. I'm often sure that something is inside an attachment.

If the Files search will be able to scan text in images and sound files - bingo! Until now there's no search keyword to find text only inside attached files...

I can find any File I need in a Note with a normal search.

As I already reported, Yesterday I deleted a note containing a PDF.  Despite this, the PDF was still displayed on the Files List.  There was no visible means for me to delete this file, and I only managed to do so by Opening the File in Adobe Acrobat, which had a link to the Offline Data Storage, and I was able to delete it from there.

It seems to show all deleted attachments also. To get rid of an attachment you need to delete the whole note and then also empty the trash.

• Confused 1
13 minutes ago, janndk said:

It seems to show all deleted attachments also. To get rid of an attachment you need to delete the whole note and then also empty the trash.

The Note had been deleted and the Trash emptied, but the PDF remained in Files. I only noticed it because it was at the top of the list, and I recognised that I had already deleted the note.

How long does it normally/for you, my fellow users, take to start Evernote 10.85.4 with the Files functionality? I've been looking at this screen for 10 minutes now. Before also, then I restarted Evernote totally (also background/tray part of Evernote). The green circle in the screenshot also stopped totally with all movement. After clicking on Files part, Evernote is frozen.

image.thumb.png.3485ec625f2cc18af100a3cc5cea2ca5.png

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, MvdH said:

How long does it normally take to start Evernote 10.85.4 with the Files functionality?

Just tried.

If EN is open it took 6 seconds to open the file section (17,852 files)

If EN was actually closed when the files section was open it took 13 secs to open EN and re-load the files section. I have "Resume where I left off" as my opening EN preference.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
44 minutes ago, MvdH said:

How long does it normally/for you, my fellow users, take to start Evernote 10.85.4 with the Files functionality? I've been looking at this screen for 10 minutes now. Before also, then I restarted Evernote totally (also background/tray part of Evernote). The green circle in the screenshot also stopped totally with all movement. After clicking on Files part, Evernote is frozen.

image.thumb.png.3485ec625f2cc18af100a3cc5cea2ca5.png

If this is the first time you opened files, you may need to logout of your account and back in.  I wasn’t able to get it to load either until I did that.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, MvdH said:

How long does it normally/for you, my fellow users, take to start Evernote 10.85.4 with the Files functionality?

app. 1 second with 20625 files

3 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

I can find any File I need in a Note with a normal search.

Yep - but Files ist faster - and will be limited to attachments 😉.
Regarding deleted attachments: If they reside in Files even after Trash is cleaned: Might be either a caching problem or is simply a bug for the moment...

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

For me, it just took around 4 seconds to open the Files screen.

Remember that Files is a work in the earliest stages of development.  It is, I think, a response to the fact that many Evernote users work wqith file attachments more than notes.  The idea has been to develop something that will all the developers to see what is proving useful. So feedback is definitely going to have some influence. But if it really doesn't fly then I imagine Files could disappear as suddenly as it appeared.

If they are monitoring just @bmcl26 and my use then expect it to go soon ;)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

app. 1 second with 20625 files

Yep - but Files ist faster - and will be limited to attachments 😉.
Regarding deleted attachments: If they reside in Files even after Trash is cleaned: Might be either a caching problem or is simply a bug for the moment...

Can you multiselect files and drag these to your desktop?

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, eric99 said:

No multi-select that I can find.  I'm on 10.85.4.

20 hours ago, eric99 said:

Not even by selecting one file 😞 - but it's a good idea 😉

• Level 5
On 4/18/2024 at 1:09 PM, agsteele said:

Remember that Files is a work in the earliest stages of development.  It is, I think, a response to the fact that many Evernote users work wqith file attachments more than notes.  The idea has been to develop something that will all the developers to see what is proving useful. So feedback is definitely going to have some influence. But if it really doesn't fly then I imagine Files could disappear as suddenly as it appeared.

@agsteele, I think you would know this: Is there still a beta testing program? I would think that that would be the logical venue for "work in the earliest stages of development," not a random group of increasingly mystified users. Hopefully it will have some purpose and function(s) someday, but in the meantime, seriously, isn't this what beta is for??

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, righteousdork said:

Anyone else on Mac seeing this behavior?

Did you try logging out and back in?  I needed to do that before it would work for me.

On 4/20/2024 at 3:43 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

seriously, isn't this what beta is for??

They should assign all of V10 to the beta test again, IMHO. 

• Level 5

IMHO you are just not used to getting ANY new features in years. This was not perfection, it was oblivion.

Now after receiving features users have requested for more than a decade, you are update distressed, it seems.

As a fellow user used to say: Don’t panic ….

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Now after receiving features users have requested for more than a decade, you are update distressed, it seems.

I'm in IT since 1987, I think I can handle updates and new features just fine. In V10 I hit a roadblock all the time, most of them I would consider bugs and not my inability to appreciate all those new features. I opened tickets for some of them (none of them answered let alone solved btw.). 

• Like 1
On 4/18/2024 at 1:09 PM, agsteele said:

For me, it just took around 4 seconds to open the Files screen.

If they are monitoring just @bmcl26 and my use then expect it to go soon ;)

Took about 40s for me, but I have over 100K files. 

• Level 5
22 hours ago, righteousdork said:

I can't even get it to load on the Mac version.  All I get are a bunch of errors.  I submitted feedback.  Anyone else on Mac seeing this behavior?

image.thumb.png.c3a551d7ea91dd2a4d4b6d229909018e.png

I am experiencing the exact same problem in the very last version. It worked in the previous version though.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Stuhrer said:

Some additional information: The files feature works on my Intel based MacBook Pro but not on my Mac Mini with an M2 Pro.

Hmmm, I have an M2 Mac mini and it is working fine.

• Level 5

It is working for me on an i7 MBP, a M1 mini and a M2 MBP.

Not all the game, but a pretty good test environment to say: A problem is not related to the processor used for your Mac. 

7 hours ago, Stuhrer said:

Some additional information: The files feature works on my Intel based MacBook Pro but not on my Mac Mini with an M2 Pro.

It's reassuring knowing it's not just me.  I did try logging out and restarting the app with no luck.  I also use Evernote on my work PC and the Files look fine there.  It's only on my M1 Mac.

So...as an experiment I went to the Mac App Store and downloaded Evernote from there.  I was running the direct download version.  I assumed it would just create a duplicate app, but it didn't.  It essentially replaced my existing version of the app.  And now it works fine!  You might want to try that Stuhrer if you're also running the direct download version.

This is what I'm running now:
image.png.4c86daa6d53a2038a6cacf9e1a39efc0.png

• Level 5

You practically downloaded a new client. In the past the AppStore version has given all sorts of hiccups - we don’t promote it’s use. Probably the same would have happened with a fresh download of the direct install as well.

• Level 5

A re-installation with the download version did not help. I am going to un- and re-install. I hope, this helps. I'll let you know later.

• Level 5
4 minutes ago, Stuhrer said:

A re-installation with the download version did not help. I am going to un- and re-install. I hope, this helps. I'll let you know later.

After I uninstalled Evernote using appCleaner and re-installed it, the problem disappeared. The window showing about 15.000 files opened within a few seconds.

• Like 1

Does anyone know why I only see a limited set of my files?  It seems to be consistently around 30, under All, Media and Docs.  I have tried changing the sort.  I see also that it's not just selecting the most recent (or oldest).

On 4/23/2024 at 3:32 AM, Stuhrer said:

After I uninstalled Evernote using appCleaner and re-installed it, the problem disappeared. The window showing about 15.000 files opened within a few seconds.

Thank you for mentioning this! I have signed out of Evernote, signed bakc in, re-started computer, but uninstalling and re-installing worked. 

• Like 1
On 4/23/2024 at 11:04 AM, Grant837 said:

Does anyone know why I only see a limited set of my files?  It seems to be consistently around 30, under All, Media and Docs.  I have tried changing the sort.  I see also that it's not just selecting the most recent (or oldest).

I have the same problem, the number of files at the top is probably ok (10840), but the actual files list only shows about 50, I can't scroll further through the other 10800 files

On 4/18/2024 at 3:33 PM, MvdH said:

I just stopped it: 6 seconds for 8700 files - every time I enter the files section.

• Thanks 1
3 horas atrás, eric99 disse:

I have the same problem, the number of files at the top is probably ok (10840), but the actual files list only shows about 50, I can't scroll further through the other 10800 files

The same thing happens to me. I imagine it's because the functionality isn't 100% ready yet. In one of the posts on X (twitter) Federico said this: https://twitter.com/fedesimio/status/1780279923518644588

Although I hate it, I will uninstall with Revo and reinstall in order to see if the Files feature can work.

If a fresh install is necessary, to use a new feature the developer should say so. It would be less frustrating than the eternal cycle: upgrade, try, does not work, try again, does not work, upgrade again, try, does not work, start or contribute to a thread here, lof of, log in, try, does not work... I mean, they must know about it, no? 

• Level 5

Files came up for me without much (maybe I quit the app, and restarted the Mac). Setup can behave differently, and not any hiccup can be foreseen.

Where I agree: QA is not visible in this chain of releases. They seem to release, and then fix what’s coming up.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
18 hours ago, Cristiano478 said:

The same thing happens to me. I imagine it's because the functionality isn't 100% ready yet. In one of the posts on X (twitter) Federico said this: https://twitter.com/fedesimio/status/1780279923518644588

I’m not sure I would agree that they would be withholding value by not releasing it.  I notice that in the pic they have 141 files.  They should have an account like mine as one of the test beds.  I have over 50,000.  Many of those are web clipping junk that I wish were automatically filtered out.  I can filter those out by clicking on the doc tab, but I have to wait for the all tab to fill first before switching to the other tab. Also you can only act on one file at a time.  I’m not seeing the value at the moment.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
24 minutes ago, fredhammersmith said:

If a fresh install is necessary, to use a new feature the developer should say so. It would be less frustrating than the eternal cycle: upgrade, try, does not work, try again, does not work, upgrade again, try, does not work, start or contribute to a thread here, lof of, log in, try, does not work... I mean, they must know about it, no? 

I think the need is random and database dependent.  I’ve had to fully uninstall and reinstall the desktop only once in recent memory but on mobile several times. It almost seems to be a roll of the dice with each update and with the current frequency of updates the odds get higher.

Hello 

'Files' on web doesn't upload for me (I see a spinning circle) , since maybe I have hundreds images and documents , now honestly I don't need this tab called 'files' so I do not really mind , I am just concerned that this disrupts the backup process or just makes evernote way slower for heavy users .

also coping images from one note to another is causing spinning circle and does not work or lag post 10.82.2 version 

I think the best way to improve this function is that 'files' shows the actual 'files' for a searched note , or a specific note , and not all files for a notebook or all of the notebooks , since there are so many files for some users , this is causes loading issues @Federico Simionato

thanks 

Bit of frustration here.

Following suggestions.

Uninstall (with Revo), re-install, let Evernote synchronized, click on the Files icon, went for a (long) walk. Came back.

Same results: spinning wheel.

Yes I have a lot of files and a lot of notes (close to 47 000). Still... in this day and age, displaying a directory should not be complicated.

It has been said so many times: Evernote should stop create new features and make the app rock solid.

The thing I have not tried: trash the database. Should I try? (70 Gb, 323 000 files). 

• Level 5*

I have 50,000 “files” and it takes several seconds (too long) to open, but it does open.

27 minutes ago, fredhammersmith said:

The thing I have not tried: trash the database. Should I try? (70 Gb, 323 000 files). 

It does sound like you have a database issue.  I would.

1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

I have 50,000 “files” and it takes several seconds (too long) to open, but it does open.

It does sound like you have a database issue.  I would.

Ok then, I'll report back.

Overall, I like the feature and I use it as an overview.  For example, I can select the "files" option and then search for a term such as "Faxes".  It will give me a long list of 300 pdf files which are all faxes from my Hellofax account.  However, the functionality stops there ie: I can't seem to select these files so that I can work with them as a group.  This functionality was available on Legacy ("attachments") and is not at all the same thing as the "export to html" feature.  There have been many posts on the difference between how Legacy and v10 handles attachments and I won't reactivate any of this now.  Nonetheless, it would be great if the file feature eventually lets us actually select and manipulate the files rather than just looking at them.  If that is the case, we could eventually see that lost Legacy feature reincarnated.

On 4/23/2024 at 4:10 AM, PinkElephant said:

You practically downloaded a new client. In the past the AppStore version has given all sorts of hiccups - we don’t promote it’s use. Probably the same would have happened with a fresh download of the direct install as well.

So is it generally better to use the direct download or the download from the Apple app store? Or does it not really matter?

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, RNRNRN said:

So is it generally better to use the direct download or the download from the Apple app store? Or does it not really matter?

The direct download tends to have less problems, so we usually recommend that.

• Level 5

The AppStore version is the same software.

But MacOS executes it in a sandbox mode. This can cause problems, most often in the collaboration with other apps. This has nothing to do with EN, it’s a MacOS security feature.

Have the same issue , also have an issue with the spinning of images , when copying one image from one note to another , or uploading an enx file to a notebook, all images do the spinning sign , tried the re install suggestion , issue still occurring , I contacted support , but no reply yet...

On 4/29/2024 at 5:27 PM, fredhammersmith said:

Bit of frustration here.

Following suggestions.

Uninstall (with Revo), re-install, let Evernote synchronized, click on the Files icon, went for a (long) walk. Came back.

Same results: spinning wheel.

Yes I have a lot of files and a lot of notes (close to 47 000). Still... in this day and age, displaying a directory should not be complicated.

It has been said so many times: Evernote should stop create new features and make the app rock solid.

I see spinning for about 15 seconds but then it stops and I can see the files (v10.86.8 win 10 desktop).  My problem is not with seeing the files but with the utility of the feature itself.  You can't actually do anything with these files other than looking at them or selecting one at a time to open.  It would be far more useful if you could delete groups of them, merge them, copy them etc.  This was possible with Legacy and was a huge time saver for certain tasks.  I'm hoping that this is the direction that this goes.  Other than that, just curious as to how people actually use this feature.

• Level 5

I think we agree that the current implementation can't be the end of it. It lacks most possibilities to select certain files, and perform actions on them. the moment it just shows an idea of what it might be one day, after release of additional features.

Currently I found it hard to use at all, partly due to the very long Startup time before any files show.

• Like 1

I usually create draft notes , snip images on them , or upload , and then move them around via copy paste to titled notes , now cannot do it , since I get the spinning image , and at first the images appear to be pasted, but when you leave the note and come back it shows a spinning sign, so i'm stuck and cannot work since Evernote decided to 'over innovate' which may create more bugs , sometimes over innovation destroys products , having 10k plus files (pdfs, images etc') is causing issues imo with the database , imagine having the file tab on a mobile app , it going to be a disaster 

working with 10.82.2 on desktop which does not produce this issue as of now

On 5/2/2024 at 9:40 PM, idoc said:

I see spinning for about 15 seconds but then it stops and I can see the files (v10.86.8 win 10 desktop).  My problem is not with seeing the files but with the utility of the feature itself.  You can't actually do anything with these files other than looking at them or selecting one at a time to open.  It would be far more useful if you could delete groups of them, merge them, copy them etc.  This was possible with Legacy and was a huge time saver for certain tasks.  I'm hoping that this is the direction that this goes.  Other than that, just curious as to how people actually use this feature.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Select both notes, the draft one and the final one to which you want to add content.

Merge both notes - you get all content in one note, without copy & paste orgies. Erase what you don’t want to keep, rearrange the rest - done. V10 even allows to define in which order the notes appear, which makes it easy to move the content to erase to the end of the new note.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Select both notes, the draft one and the final one to which you want to add content.

Merge both notes - you get all content in one note, without copy & paste orgies. Erase what you don’t want to keep, rearrange the rest - done. V10 even allows to define in which order the notes appear, which makes it easy to move the content to erase to the end of the new note.

This will break Backlinks, this will break reminders. Both which I use a lot, the same as merging which I use a lot. (indication, I merge 50 notes per day I estimate.) 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you read what was posted as use case, it’s about getting content from draft notes into „mother“ notes. I doubt that neither links nor reminders are typical functions that you will find as draft notes content.

Technically you are right, of course.

• Like 1

issue has been solved post 10.87.5 update

appreciate the workaround, but merging notes and then moving the image to the right place inside the note is making my workflow much longer vs copy paste .

just put a p.s for what I am seeing when opening a new note and pasting an image from another note into it , just FYI at first it looks pasted , but when leaving the note and returning to it the spins appear ...

btw doing a snippet and pasting an image works fine , its just copy pasting , evernote 10.82.2 on desktop does not have this issue , so I am working with that for now.

On 5/3/2024 at 10:54 PM, PinkElephant said: