I love EN, but Windows version = no longer usable

First let me start off by saying that 

I love Evernote.

I have been using it for over 10 years and it has easily been my most used day to day application ever. I have 25K notes for work, hobbies, trips etc.  EN is great for cross platform syncing and heavy multimedia note taking. I would happily pay more for it as a heavy and committed user. 

As such I accept occasional hiccups such as the endless resyncs on Macs a while ago, the degrading quality of the IOS web sharer or the random distractions into food blogging years ago. That's ok, it can happen in software engineering. I also empathize with the complexity of keeping multiple platform apps maintained, not easy.

BUT WOW

The latest EN for Windows (Evernote_6.19.2.8555.exe) is a disaster. I run Win10 home on a beefy computer (32GB, SSDs etc)

Not only does it do the widely reported endless syncs (many minutes at a time), it continues this even after a complete reinstall of the app and  DB rebuild (almost immediately). Not only that, it eventually crashes out and cannot be restarted any more (nothing happens when double clicking executable, nothing appears in Task Manager) This is terrible, isn't it ?

Why does syncing hang up the app / UI ("Evernote is not responding") in the first place ? Have we heard of multithreaded programming before ? Run the sync task in the background and leave the UI functional !

I hope it is not, but fear this fairly negligent programming/Quality Assurance may be indicative of deeper financial or HR retention issues at EN. I doubt any users will like this kind of flaky behavior from an app they trust with their data which means they will flee, exactly what EN doesn't need.

I wouldn't mind paying more, as I said, perhaps with the heavy user tiered so as not to detract beginning paid users. I'd rather do that than be saddled with unusable software which will lead to inevitable departures.

Evernote: please stay alive, stay well, rooting for you...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

In general I agree.There is much to improve - I have the impression that the current EN management understands this, and makes the right moves to fix things, one by one.

BUT: I am running my Windows client on a fully updated Win10 installation, and the actual EN client, and have no issues even when my PC is a lot less powerful than yours. Maybe there are design issues on how syncing is done etc. - but this bad, with all that power ?

Maybe there is another issue ... I have been today in a thread where in the end a password manager running in the background caused the performance problems - the guy who posted made a tremendous job in finding this cause for his problems on his windows PC. 

Maybe you can search for the thread and check for similarities.

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Toad said:

The latest EN for Windows (Evernote_6.19.2.8555.exe) is a disaster. I run Win10 home on a beefy computer (32GB, SSDs etc)

Not only does it do the widely reported endless syncs (many minutes at a time), it continues this even after a complete reinstall of the app and  DB rebuild (almost immediately). Not only that, it eventually crashes out and cannot be restarted any more (nothing happens when double clicking executable, nothing appears in Task Manager) This is terrible, isn't it ?

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble.  I'm running the same version on a far less beefy PC and it has been running fine so the problem doesn't seem universal.  Have you tried changing some of the sync settings in Options to see if it affects the behavior at all?  If you can't sort it out, it might be good to open a problem ticket and maybe support can figure it out from your log file.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

@Toad

Same experience as @s2sailor.  I have a less beefy machine as well, 42k notes, without any sync issues.  Area there any errors in the log file that might point to a note with something in it that could be causing the issue.  Per the above could open a support ticket.