Search has stopped working on all devices

Jlavine
Go to solution Solved by Shane D.,

Idea

Premium user running newly updated 10.0.4 on iPad iOS 14. When I search inside a note, the search bar counts the correct number of returns/hits in the note, but it doesn’t jump to it *within* the note. When I use the arrows, right/left, it will count up or down, but again, doesn’t jump to the hit within the note. I’m having a full-on panic attack right now. Search in Evernote is everything on my iPad and has been since I’ve been a user for over 10 years now.  NOTE: This behavior is *not* happening on my iPhone, only on the iPad. 

The search function is complete nonsense now. First of all, the hotkey doesn't work. Second, in the past I selected a notebook, and inside it, I carried out my query, something that took me a couple of seconds only. Now, the main search option doesn't allow that. I'm growing more angsty with Evernote by the day.

• Level 5

Maybe give it another try. IMHO the new search is really a progress compared to the prior iOS version:

• Select a notebook from the list, then hit on the search icon
  • The search window opens. The selected notebook is shown below the line where to enter the search string. Now - IMPORTANT - you need to click once on that notebook button (with the dotted line around it) to confirm your selection. The button turns to blue.
  • The field below will now fill, with the tags that are used inside of this notebook. You can decide to search by tag - then click on one of them, and only the notes with that tag will show.
  • Or enter a search string. Search is instant, while you type letters the words found will show. It will not only show search words with the string at the beginning, but inside of words as well. This is very nice, sometimes you have a combined word containing the search string in the middle.
  • When you have narrowed down and find the exact word you are searching, click on it, or hit enter while typing if you want to search for all words that are left.

The search window after clicking on the notebook icon will look like this - note that the notebooks name is now inside of a solid blue button. Only when this shows the search is narrowed down to the selected notebook. If not, the search will be „all notes“. This means you can come from a distinct notebook, and still make an „all notes“ search.

FCCEE545-87D2-4625-912E-30D564C6F04F.thumb.jpeg.7c6d88704af81d27c9430a79b531360f.jpeg

• Thanks 2

I’ve noticed a syntax search bug regarding the ANY command with tags. It doesn’t work if I want to search into a specific notebook. When I write ‘any:’ it affects to the notebook too, not only tags.

For example, if I write in the search bar ‘notebook:folder1 any: tag:tag1 tag:tag2’ it shows all the notes archived in the notebook folder1. Those notes tagged with tag1, tag2 or other different tag.

I consider this a bug in view of the EN syntax concepts that worked before and because it works properly in the Windows desktop software.

Since upgrading to the newest version for Mac, search does not work. I've lost track of how many times I shutdown/restarted. Even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Same results.

Whenever I try to search for anything, I get the same error. "Search failed. Try again later."

• Level 5

Are these notes located in notebooks that were shared to you by others ?

This happens to me when search hits notes in such notebooks. It shows a placeholder instead, which is of little use.

As a workaround I found out that if I have downloaded offline notebooks, and switch the i-device to flight mode, suddenly the search finds and shows these notes (EN iOS v10.3 and v10.4). This means the problem is located in the server based search - when you cut the connection to the server, the search looks up the local copy, and suddenly it works.

Wow, that’s bad   If I go offline I get two results and can view them. If I go back online, I can see one of them but not the rest. The worse part is that one that shows up offline was written in one of my own folders (that I have shared out) but not when I am connected. The notes that are missing are both in local and shared folders  

Jan 2021.  I just updated the latest again and am still getting blank searches.  109F1789-80EE-4CBB-A7EB-5401DE5ACC47.thumb.png.407bd2108a428e4d876dfd6088e3e6c1.png

Hi all, I'm a brand new user and having the same issue. I only have two notes so far and about an hour after creating them I am unable to use a keyword search. This occurs on both the desktop app (version 10.6.9 running on macOS Big Sur 11.1) and when using web based (tried both Safari and Google Chrome). Attached are pictures of what it looks like when I try to search a key word in the desktop app (did not include screenshots of the web based because it looks absolutely identical). In the first picture you can see that I have a note created an hour ago containing the word "in" (I've tried searching lots of other words but just chose "in" for example's sake) and in the second note when I search "in" I receive a "No notes found" message. Happens with every keyword. 

Additionally, PinkElephant's workaround to rebuild the index suggested on a few other threads isn't working for me. When I hold down "Option" and press the "Help" menu at the top, there is no problem solving option. There is a troubleshooting menu, but no options under troubleshooting regarding the index.

Any help would be much appreciated! I was excited to start with Evernote specifically because of the search feature and am afraid I'll have to switch to a different system if I can't figure it out.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 12.29.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 12.30.16 PM.png

Hi need help from you awesome people.

I just updated Evernote (10.6.9) on my Mac (11.1). As like some other comments on this forum, my index is screwed up and my search results on the Evernote App turns NO result. So what I have tried?

1)Hold Option + Click Help - Tried it. No change. Only see Learn More, Documentation, Community Discussions, Search Issues
2)Restart Mac - Did it 2 times already

Please help. Really appreciate it

When searching for a note from the top left search box, any text, or syntex for a tag or even just the wildcard * has stopped returning any notes in the search results.  Then after a couple of seconds a red box appears top middle of the screen saying "! Search Failed.  Try again later".

(see attached)

I am a long term experienced user, I updated to the new app for the mac when it first came out, I use evernote every day, and it has only stopped working tonight.

Is anyone else having this problem?

• Like 8

I have an exactly same issue, it started couple hours ago in Evernote web.  In Android version, it also gives an Error: ServiceError: errorCode=4 message=Failed to execute findSearchSuggestions rateLimitDuration=nul.  

as of today (2021-Feb-09) search is completely broken.

now the app is completely unusable.

this would be what is known as a SEV1 ticket.

Mac desktop search is broken.

iOS search on multiple devices is broken.  totally a reproducable bug.

was it the implementation of new search feature in multiple shared notebooks that completely broke search, for everything?

i made sure that i was on the latest update of EN and that's what has definitely F'ed me.  but i think i was F'ed anyway bc i have noticed that search on mobile iOS has been deteriorating for a while.  a search i do on mobile would work perfectly on Mac desktop.  and now the search corruption as propagated to everything?  the pain wasn't enough for me to take time to report another poorly performing app.  but now the app is unusable.  search was tested on a friend's EN too.  and even the paying suckers are F'ed.

• Like 2

I'm on the latest version 10.7.6 and now the SEARCH function won’t work on the Desktop APP nor on Evernote.com website!!!

What is going on???

I rebooted my iMac which is brand spanking new.  

I’m also on Big Sur O/S Version 11.2.1

Extremely frustrating not being able to access very important notes for work!!!

Can I temporarily downgrade to get Search function to work again?

• Like 1

I am experiencing the same problem, the search is totally impossible. On Mac app, and on andoroid, and even on the Web version of Evernote(Chrome browser).

So the problem shoud be not in  the apps, but where?

• Like 1

I'm on the latest version 10.7.6 and now the SEARCH function won’t work on the Desktop APP nor on Evernote.com website!!!

What is going on???

I rebooted my iMac which is brand spanking new.  

I’m also on Big Sur O/S Version 11.2.1

Extremely frustrating not being able to access very important notes for work!!!

Can I temporarily downgrade to get Search function to work again?

• Like 1

Since about 3 days ago, I am unable to search my notes on any device - PC, android or web interface.  No results are shown, sometimes I get an additional pop up advising there is an error.

As a long-term Evernote user I rely heavily on being able to search for previous items.

Any one else come across similar issues?

Same by me... iPhone (screen) and Macbook without search results... 

Evernote, I use your Service more than 7 years. Was always happy about product, reliability, functions... I complained over last 6 months already 2-3 times - I got never some solution, only some excuses and it just began to work with no idea why... Today I am struggeling with another problem again I am loosing trust again... Search doesnt work (mac + iPhone). I cant even login on your evernotes pages... Hey, and dont please try the classical excuse internet - Internet is working really good (tried on wifi + cellular).

IMG_0791.PNG

Same here, on iOS iPhone and iPad. Error received is:

Error: ServiceError: errorCode=4 message=Failed to execute findSearchSuggestions rateLimitDuration=null

Support request raised: Ticket# 3260401

• Like 2

And here. I am using the latest Evernote web application:

v 10.8.4 web 229
Editor: v118.1.15148
Service: v1.28.1

In Google Chrome Version 87.0.4280.66 (Official Build) (64-bit)  on Windows 10.

Tag searches simply fail. If I click a tag, the note list is cleared and after a few seconds I see "Search failed. Try again later" in a red error message.

image.png.166ebf138b1421de3ca4a184be58cd32.png

I am losing my patience with this product.

• Like 1

I am having the exact same problem but on Windows 10. I just upgraded to Version 10.8.4 and still the same issue. I rely on searches to organize my life in Evernote. This is killing me. Please help! Yes I have restarted, etc.

Same for me. I updated Evernote to 10.8.4 and error still the same

Evernote Error: ServiceError erorCode=4 message=Failed to execute findSearchSuggestions rateLimitDuration=null

Your issue has been assigned support ticket #3260261
  • Like 3

I have this symptom too. I see some errors in my activity log:

{"name":"electron.main","hostname":"Valentina.local","pid":41056,"level":40,"msg":" conduit-electron-worker [[\"Conduit query SearchEx failed with error \",\"ServiceError: errorCode=4 message=Failed to execute findSearchSuggestions rateLimitDuration=null\\n    at y (app://evernote/boronConduitWorker/vendors~en-conduit-electron-worker-ea57d3f20ab46be8a66b.js:18:325776)\\n    at Object.t.wrapThriftCall (app://evernote/boronConduitWorker/vendors~en-conduit-electron-worker-ea57d3f20ab46be8a66b.js:18:326537)\\n    at async Object.t.onlineSearchEx (app://evernote/boronConduitWorker/vendors~en-conduit-electron-worker-ea57d3f20ab46be8a66b.js:41:51854)\"]]","time":"2021-02-10T13:10:34.567Z","src":{"file":"/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/en-ts-utils/src/logger.ts","line":238,"func":"warn"},"v":0}
{"name":"electron.main","hostname":"Valentina.local","pid":41056,"level":50,"msg":" client:sagas:search {\"name\":\"MultiError\",\"errorList\":[{\"name\":\"ServiceError\",\"errorType\":\"EDAMSystemException\",\"errorKey\":\"\",\"errorCode\":4}]} ","time":"2021-02-10T13:10:34.628Z","src":{"file":"/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/en-ts-utils/src/logger.ts","line":254,"func":"error"},"v":0}
{"name":"electron.main","hostname":"Valentina.local","pid":41056,"level":40,"msg":" conduit-electron-worker [[\"Conduit query SearchEx failed with error \",\"ServiceError: errorCode=4 message=Failed to execute findSearchSuggestions rateLimitDuration=null\\n    at y (app://evernote/boronConduitWorker/vendors~en-conduit-electron-worker-ea57d3f20ab46be8a66b.js:18:325776)\\n    at Object.t.wrapThriftCall (app://evernote/boronConduitWorker/vendors~en-conduit-electron-worker-ea57d3f20ab46be8a66b.js:18:326537)\\n    at async Object.t.onlineSearchEx (app://evernote/boronConduitWorker/vendors~en-conduit-electron-worker-ea57d3f20ab46be8a66b.js:41:51854)\"]]","time":"2021-02-10T13:10:37.788Z","src":{"file":"/Applications/Evernote.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/node_modules/en-ts-utils/src/logger.ts","line":238,"func":"warn"},"v":0}

10.7.6-mac-ddl-public (2321)
Editor: v117.1.15008
Service: v1.27.2

Going offline (disabling wifi) allowed me to search again. Search results were also cached for auto-complete after going online. However, new online searches don't work.

To me this indicates an issue with the server, either a broad issue or a problem with my account. I will try again after the Wed maintenance window and see if that fixes it.

• Like 2

Confirmed - search spits out this error....   the app also crashes on quit....

Evernote version (under Mac OS 10.14):

10.7.6-mac-mas-public (458452)
Editor: v117.1.15008
Service: v1.27.2
© 2019 - 2021 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved638943384_Screenshot2021-02-10at13_32_26.thumb.png.84db58f225714f2e40153d1abe6f678b.png

• Level 5

Hi All,

We are aware of the issue that is affecting search and are working to fix it as expediently as possible.

Please post on this thread if you are encountering this issue.

I'll provide an update here ASAP once it's available. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3
hace 2 horas, sbliven dijo:

Going offline (disabling wifi) allowed me to search again. Search results were also cached for auto-complete after going online. However, new online searches don't work.

To me this indicates an issue with the server, either a broad issue or a problem with my account. I will try again after the Wed maintenance window and see if that fixes it.

That made the trick on my mac. Thanks! It didn't work on my phone though.

• Like 1
hace 2 horas, sbliven dijo:

This works for me too.

I am able to search across all the platforms I use, but, the results are incomplete

• macOS Big Sur using 10.8.4
  • iOS using 10.5
  • Web currently stated to be 10.8.4 via Safari

In all cases the number of records, so far, that are shown match BUT the actual Notes displayed is far less than the stated number.  On each platform the Notes displayed varies and is not uniform at all.

An example is search a Tag, 4800 results.  Only 200 or so actually get listed, but a different 200 on each platform

Search stopped working on MacOS Big Sur. Suddenly stopped working on Evernote version 10.7.5. Upgraded to 10.7.6 with no results. Still cannot search. Today in the morning everything worked OK. But it works on the web version and on my Android phone.

OK.  Same here.  If I disconnect my network cable, it also starts working with wifi off.  I love the changes, but it is more important to have it working properly than it is to have all the bells and whistles.

So I just searched for notes with the string "zip" in them. No results... And yet I have at least one note that has "Zip" and "zip" multiple times in it. And I just tried several other strings of things I know are in notes (because I just saw that word or phrase verbatim), and nothing. Search is just broken.

On Mac OS, using Evernote version 10.7.6.

Search_results_-_Evernote.thumb.png.8897afd4ea0f8b53982b3356ae10605d.png

Command_Line_-_Evernote.thumb.png.78844027dcecc03c7a2e25868ba29c8f.png

As of EN Update 10.8.4 this morning Feb 10 around 10:15am EST Search Function stopped working (returns "No notes found")  on MacBook Pro Big Sur  11.2.

Disconnected iPad Pro (iOS 14.4) from wifi prior to launching EN so it did not update.  Search worked fine (as it always has).  Reconnected to wifi, EN updated, Search no longer works.

Search does not work using the web client either.

Sorry guys, this really sucks on top of all the other recent update problems.  Leaves me pretty much dead in the water.

Signed out of all my accounts to see if it helps but it didn't. The issue effects all the clients.

Checked status.evernote.com and nothing there. 

Came here to see if others are running into this and sure enough they are.

Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Search is not working on the windows store app. Which oddly I just switched to so I can stop the eye bleeding lack of dark mode support on the windows download install version of evernote.  Oddly search works fine there... could it be this insistence that everything be in some sort of cloud rather than use the computing resources on my local desktop?

2 minutes ago, kylefreestyle said:

Right, mine isn't working. It's absurd how often there are issues with Evernote. I'm a paying user and thinking seriously about jumping ship. It's so frustrating and ridiculous. 

I've used evernote 10 years now. Now in few months ,several serious issues ... :(