OSX Mail plugin

MABE77

Idea

Hi Evernote!

I am a premium user that is using OSX as operating system. The last 3 years the exchange support in OSX Mail is usable and heavily used at least in the nordic countries. It is about time that you invest in a plugin that lets us in a easy and supported way insert mails into Evernote.

I have tested all suggested methods here in the forum and none is as effective and stabile as the plugin to windows version outlook.

It is NOT a solution that is worth Evernote's brand and reputation to email a email that you already have on the computer.

What we need is:

A plugin with a short command

Select multiple emails

Possibility to tag (the tags that i am using in Evernote)

Choose notebook

Possibility to make a action to the email when you are moving it to Evernote (move the email to a Evernote folder)

Please this as a priority!

Thanks in advance

Marcus Bengtsson

• Like 9

+1 

I love using Evernote but the fact there is no official plugin to support creation of notes directly from Mail application is a real surprise and actually pain. I understand that Outlook's user base is much larger than Mail that's why Outlook plugin was created first. However I cannot understand how, after so many years, Mail plugin still has not been released. 

Similarly to millions of Mac users I love Mail app's simplicity and not planning to switch to bloated Outlook. Evernote team please provide us with plugin :)

• Like 1

Hi Evernote and all users in this thread.

I wants to add some ideas regarding the mail integration.

First i want to say that the possibility to mail to Evernote is great but it has two major drawbacks.

1. It is not working when you are offline.

2. You can tag but only in a very simple way in the subject line. This is very cumbersome if you are spelling your tags different (gives you many tags that means the same thing). The way you have solved this in the web clipper is perfect. (a side note, i am using clipper to add documents and it would be perfect if you could add the same tagging functionality to clipper). I am using Evernote to save important mails that is containing information that i will need in the future - today i need to mail the email to Evernote and then start Evernote and do the tagging. Please make this workflow easier.

I have a working solution with Alfred and workflow script that easily moves email to Evernote without emailing them - it has problems with format (swedish characters and HTML).

Powerbot - is interesting but it is strongly connected to Gmail - i am asking for a more generic solution

Postbox - agreat application but it does not support native exchange connection - the solution should be a more generic design independent of the mail service.

Suggestion: cant you make clipper more generic meaning making it the portal between the computer and Evernote?

Yes he made it work but it does not work very well - i am a swedish user meaning i sometimes recives emails with swedish characters. This emails does not get properly encoded (some times) unreadable

This is a clip from the veritrope site regarding the downside.

The script isn’t great at dealing with HTML-encoded emails encoded in non-English character sets. I’m looking for ways to improve this but, if you’re one of the people affected, you can use the switch at the beginning of the script to turn off HTML support and process everything as plaintext.

There is no official plug-in API for Apple's Mail application.  Any integration would have to be via means of unsupported APIs; I could see this being an issue for an application that was sold or offered via the Mac App Store.

+1 - non-premium user (not just because of this - but it's pretty darn big as it totally changes the ease of workflow)

And I'm not a fan of the unsupported API excuse. The GPGTools developers have dealt with this hassle. I think Evernote is a great product and I understand the concern of turning out a product that is difficult to support. But I don't think you need to be open source developers to take this risk for the benefit of the users. 

Be honest - Beta tag the heck out of it - and I'd understand that when Mavericks comes out - it's probably going to bust the plugin for awhile. (not that you couldn't get a developer preview release and verify compatibility ahead of time). 

It's doable. Veritrope got pretty close - but the OP's list of requirements is dead on the money. 

According to the fact that this plugin is probably easy to create, at least with an applescript ( same veritrope.com did, but the project seems dead, and we need to buy the old Growl notification solution), my question is: Do they mind ? ;-)

Guess if your not an business user it might be, but PostBox is not a Business app..Its more for personal user.. It doesn't even support Exchange Severs.

Only POP & IMAP which is horrible

That's definitely a valid point. I'm just a premium Evernote user and use Gmail for both personal and business, which makes Postbox a great solution. If you are looking for Gmail optimization though, Postbox is nice.

I received an email:

Tboy,

You have just received a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "OSX Mail plugin".  The topic can be found here:http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37782-osx-mail-plugin/?view=getnewpost

----------------------------------------------------------------------
For a very early beta version, please download from the following location: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68366/ChungwaSoft/EverMail-Installer_1.0_143.app.zip (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68366/ChungwaSoft/EverMail-Installer_1.0_143.app.zip)

1. The dropbox link does not exist

2. The post is not on this thread. 

Why? what is it ?

I received an email:

Tboy,

You have just received a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "OSX Mail plugin".  The topic can be found here:http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37782-osx-mail-plugin/?view=getnewpost

----------------------------------------------------------------------

For a very early beta version, please download from the following location: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68366/ChungwaSoft/EverMail-Installer_1.0_143.app.zip (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68366/ChungwaSoft/EverMail-Installer_1.0_143.app.zip)

1. The dropbox link does not exist

2. The post is not on this thread. 

Why? what is it ?

Change the "143" in the link to "144" and  you'll find the (updated, I'm guessing) zip file.

I want 2-way sync integration, or something that would index each mail message to a web database, so that regardless the device being used to access the mail message, the database record will be universally called up. Without such an integration or side app, individual email messages sent to Evernote are divorced from further direct email transports, and as such the process is cumbersome and impractical for any fast-paced workflow.

Given that OS X now has a supported API for extensions, my bet is that this eventually show up and be OS X Yosemite and later only. At least, that is the ONLY supportable way to deliver this feature, and hacking into Mail using unsupported APIs now that there's an "official" way to do it would seem to be a very bad idea.

• Like 1

Given that OS X now has a supported API for extensions, my bet is that this eventually show up and be OS X Yosemite and later only. At least, that is the ONLY supportable way to deliver this feature, and hacking into Mail using unsupported APIs now that there's an "official" way to do it would seem to be a very bad idea.

I am using PostBox right now.  With Beta 5.6.0 I am getting the below error in my Note when I import an email into EN from PostBox

Why am I getting this error?

I was able to copy the portion of the applescript found here exports attachments along with the message and mix it with this one that archives the email after it processes the send to Evernote. I could not figure out how to turn the new script into a .workflow like they did here. I think that the problem is that this script is too complicated to be executed from Automator, but I will keep poking around with it. I was able to assign a hot key to the script using Quicksilver.

So I placed the script in the folder /Library/Scripts/Mail Scripts then I pointed Quicksilver to that script and assigned it a hot key.

You can download the edited script with the archiving code here.

Any help turning this thing into a Finder service so that a 3rd party app doesn't have to be used would be cool.

As I'm coming from the dark side (windows) I had a plugin in Outlook to send a mail directly to Evernote where I'm Premium. I can't use Outlook on my Mac because the Calendar and Contacts don't sync with my Google account! So back to Mail I was trying to find a solution to link it to Evernote. The best solution I found is not to use Mail anymore but AirMail (1.99$ on the store but free if you take the Beta). It has the Evernote service built in so right click and then send to evernote. It works but I have a popup asking me to chose an app to open a link???? and it doen't transfer the attachements so far!

Finaly I gave a try to Postbox and it seems to do the job quite well despite no popup when you click on the evernote icon so you don't know if it's done! I sent 3 times the same file! But attachment are going through. I'm going to spend my 30 days trial period but it looks like a good alternative.

I was able to copy the portion of the applescript found here exports attachments along with the message and mix it with this one that archives the email after it processes the send to Evernote. I could not figure out how to turn the new script into a .workflow like they did here. I think that the problem is that this script is too complicated to be executed from Automator, but I will keep poking around with it. I was able to assign a hot key to the script using Quicksilver.

So I placed the script in the folder /Library/Scripts/Mail Scripts then I pointed Quicksilver to that script and assigned it a hot key.

You can download the edited script with the archiving code here.

Any help turning this thing into a Finder service so that a 3rd party app doesn't have to be used would be cool.

Can you save the applescript as an 'Application' to your desktop, then run it from there?  That may do what you need to avoid the 3rd party software.

Finaly I gave a try to Postbox and it seems to do the job quite well despite no popup when you click on the evernote icon so you don't know if it's done! I sent 3 times the same file! But attachment are going through. I'm going to spend my 30 days trial period but it looks like a good alternative.

I have used Postbox for several months and have found success with it briefly.  When EN Version 5.6.0 Testing Beta arrived, Postbox stopped working for me.

I sent the error to both Postbox and Evernote on June 25 2014.

Today, I downloaded the EN Version 5.6.0 Public Beta (450565 Direct), Postbox seems to be working well again. Either the cyber Gremlins fixed the issue or one of the two companies fixed the issue.  Nonetheless, it is working well again.

Job well done to those who fixed it! 

I enjoy using this combination of tools.  Still no popup notification that the Note has been created, but it is there!

+1 for a feature that would allow you to send an email to Evernote (not forwarding to an email address), and include a link back to the original email in Mail App.

This feature would make it so much easier to follow up on emails and keep track of various emails that are parts of projects.  Right now, if I want to follow up on emails in Evernote by forwarding them, I then need to go back to Mail to search for those emails when I want to send a follow up email or reply to the prior message.  

I have considered getting Mail Tags or some other app that will allow me to tag and organize the emails better without sending them to Evernote, but I prefer to have the emails and all of my notes, etc. in one central location (which is what Evernote is supposed to be).

Seems like this should be a feature that can be done... OmniFocus has a similar functionality where you can have links to emails within TODO items, where clicking the link opens the mail item.

Here we go! ChungwaSoft just released a BETA version of EverMail, an Evernote plugin for Apple's Mail application. It allows to easily create Evernote notes from your email messages. Please have a look at http://www.chungwasoft.com/evermail/

If you have feature requests, bug reports or other comments, please don't hesitate to use our forum at http://www.chungwasoft.com/support/community/ or send an email to support@chungwasoft.com - We want to make this plugin as useful as possible and we need as much feedback as possible to do so!

• Like 2

+1 on this!  I have really been trying to prove to myself that OS X is worth using, but this one glitch drives me crazy.  I routinely clip emails to Evernote, and the Windows Outlook add-in works just fine.  Need equivalent in OS X Mail.

Also a premium user and fan of Mac/Mail looking for this shortcut to use Evernote + GTD.  This worked for me:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s7/sh/6c72cc9b-eca0-4c22-9771-79fc7e3e847b/3a465f9b0fdb9cb94e061840f53a4997

If you get the error message noted above, check the facebook page (linked in the instructions) for blog posts on the fix. I did, it was pretty simple and it now works beautifully. I tried EverMail too but it was not as quick and only does 1 message at a time. This keyboard shortcut is actually better than the plug-in button for Outlook.

+1 premium user.

I'm glad the ChungwaSoft version exists but I'd prefer an official Evernote one.  Also, at current currency conversion rate it looks like EverMail is coming in at $11.13 which is on the higher side of what I'd care to pay for a 3rd party plugin.

Finally got my first ever Mac  a macbook pro and no Evernote plugin for my mail??   oh my!   Premium user.   A bit disappointed.

My solution is to use Postbox as a Mail alternative. It  has an Evernote plugin.