New UI - Experiences Bad and Good

Pros

• Cleaner interface 
  • Looks fresh and modern
  • The dark theme is ok

Cons

• Terrible background color (yellow snow)
  • Lots of empty spaces in full-screen mode (totally wasted) and in the majority of other pages/screens. image.thumb.png.466328cd2ec219a2203a71f6aa24359e.png

image.png

• Like 5

Ok I am finally at the office and able to use the new ui more. A few thoughts

Pro - 

It is clean, it feels fresh and I have to say I really like the dark mode and that the note itself has a pure dark background.
Some of the lag I had with things like the note animation lagging (the pop up note task etc on the sidebar) - the lag is gone.

Could be improved - 
It seems there are some new transition effects when heading to home screen for instance, I dont mind these but they need to be a bit faster than they currently are.
I still think the sidebar text should be pure black or white to increase readability.

Thats me so far, gotta say I really do like the dark mode.

• Like 1

Took me a minute, but there's actually a way to dial down that brightness. Weird thing is, the settings button isn't super obvious. Try hovering around the bottom right corner, sometimes the gear icon is kind of sneaky. If that's a no-go, hitting CTRL + , (that's a comma) usually pops open the settings.

• Evernote Expert

The Evernote settings provide no means of adjusting the brightness although you can choose between light and dark mode via Ctrl+,

29 minutes ago, ChristianJB said:

Yes, at least with the latest Version 10.73.3

Im still on 10.72.2 and the note title column is resizable for me there. Its a bit to the left of where it might be expected but it is there and working for me. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ChristianJB said:

Yes, at least with the latest Version 10.73.3

That's great! I can’t wait to use it. You are a beta tester, right? I volunteered to be one too, but I haven’t got access yet 😞

23 minutes ago, eric99 said:

That's great! I can’t wait to use it.

Note title column is resizable now. However, it is only resizable to so much. It would be nice if we could make the column smaller. I use a view with note on the left and have that as small as possible also - it'd be nice if could make the note list column a little smaller, but can hide it if need be.

Screenshot below shows it as small as I can make it - I also have created and updated dates as columns. This is on a 15" MBP and maybe its different on different screens

image.png.7dd5b0978148a0280dc1029b6a1ee61b.png

Here is same with it larger title column.

image.png.15c5604b2e6872b266556fb2cb031103.png

Got finally the new UI activated for early testing (I really really hope this is for early testing, and not the final version). Poor little Evernote - what have they done to you. I'm crying 😭

The positive thing is, that at least some of the bugs from that "accidentally-revealed" version seem to be fixed now, so it's somewhat workable 🤔

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
On 1/23/2024 at 12:27 PM, WilliamL said:

Ok I am finally at the office and able to use the new ui more. A few thoughts

Pro - 

It is clean, it feels fresh and I have to say I really like the dark mode and that the note itself has a pure dark background.
Some of the lag I had with things like the note animation lagging (the pop up note task etc on the sidebar) - the lag is gone.

Could be improved - 
It seems there are some new transition effects when heading to home screen for instance, I dont mind these but they need to be a bit faster than they currently are.
I still think the sidebar text should be pure black or white to increase readability.

Thats me so far, gotta say I really do like the dark mode.

Generally, I am fine with the dark mode, but the note list font bothers me a lot. It looks more fuzzy and unclear than the snippet list font, for example. Is it because there is an aliasing problem or is the font too bold in note-list mode? Have you tried the note list yourself or are you just using the snippet view?

edit:The note list would be much easier to read if it had the same font and fontsize as the tag list.

• Level 5*

I just installed 10.73.3 and it could be my imagination but it does look like they improved the contrast of the text in the left-hand panel.  I still prefer a hybrid view with dark mode in the left panel and light mode in the other two.

image.png.591d0b628d2b2e170d6258596d36be38.png

• Like 3

I'm really really really trying hard to convince myself to like the new UI. But that lilac-gray shaded background, with stains of "yellow snow" (as @daniilminkov vividly and accurately described it) is just too much. My eyes hurts. Would be nice to have an option to change the background.

image.png.6963774ef2da4c0652a56a2c9e70818c.png

• Like 1
9 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I just installed 10.73.3 and it could be my imagination but it does look like they improved the contrast of the text in the left-hand panel.  I still prefer a hybrid view with dark mode in the left panel and light mode in the other two.

image.png.591d0b628d2b2e170d6258596d36be38.png

Yeah that’s definitely been tweaked, text is darker now. I still have .2.72 hoping I get the update pushed today, too lazy to download it as last time I forced an update it didn’t go happy. 

20 hours ago, janndk said:

Got finally the new UI activated for early testing (I really really hope this is for early testing, and not the final version). Poor little Evernote - what have they done to you. I'm crying 😭

I completely share your opinion, this light theme is so pale and less readable that it will  push away potential users. I wondered if I was the only one who felt this way, so I asked my son (who recently graduated in computer science) and he was also shocked by what they did to evernote. He thought that this must be a quick and dirty implementation and that we might see some improvements soon

I'm lucky because I'm a dark theme user anyway.  As I stated, I'm fine with the new dark theme, even though the previous one was better because the side note list font was larger and sharper. I hope they will correct that.

• Like 3

If I could get a plane and plain gray background (instead of shaded yellow-lilac), and just a little bit more contrast, I would be so much happier.

image.thumb.png.744fffa22d8807039a08e619136db097.png

👇

image.thumb.png.8dfb00372c2b183f99158d599134e97a.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, janndk said:

EN 10.17.4 Windows update today. Thumbnails gone when using the new UI 🤔

en-thump-2.png.e56bb9b75cd6c19b805ba22715a22686.pngen-thumb-1.png.c33317e61d28ffc4aa2b46d79ab79661.png

You tried a logout and back in. I'd got them all OK on here on Windows 10.74.4.

1 hour ago, Jon/t said:

You tried a logout and back in. I'd got them all OK on here on Windows 10.74.4.

Didn't make any difference. But actually i'm probably just happy they are gone, as in many cases a wrong thumbnail is shown.

I've often wanted to offer suggestions of  ✌🏼 🕊️ ,  a peace sign, a breather, or  hey kids - "let's all sing Kum bī ya"❣️ Yeas, I talk to myself about you all, but value the forum 🧠  🤯

Back to the visuals at hand.  As my eyes are burning, head throbbing for days, I feel for the individuals having difficulty adjusting to this 'Visual Mushiness'.  @bmcl26 having a detached retina is a bi***,                        I understand. Would love to learn more about it. Diabetes?   Having had early onset cataract sx., I now see 20/20.    A Visual Thinker w/ ADD - is exactly why I Use & NEED EN. 

So, Question.  Does EN actually take into consideration these - dare I Say It - Health Considerations -  of people who are totally willing to PAY for their Premium Service 🏼.   It's an important,  interesting view...        Yeas?

Now play nice. 

And

I Thank you.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mia said:

Does EN actually take into consideration these - dare I Say It - Health Considerations -  of people who are totally willing to PAY for their Premium Service 🏼.

Just for the record,  there is no 'premium' service - just personal or professional.  And was there actually a comment or question in there about the new UI?  Because I didn't see it... 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Just for the record,  there is no 'premium' service - just personal or professional.  And was there actually a comment or question in there about the new UI?  Because I didn't see it... 

I think the poster was referring to one of my earlier posts where I was highly critical about the new UI being difficult to read as I had undergone Surgery on my left eye due to a Detached Retina.  I find the lighter text on a grey background lacking in contrast compared to the present UI, with the dark left Column being easier to read.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Maybe read 2xs @gazumped.  Also,  realize "text/chat"  at times does Not translate well (on both users/posters ends). 

Thank you @bmcl26.    "Visual  comfort" (yes referring to the New UI) from clarity of text to the lighting in your home to Yeas VISUAL THINKING, is a Real Thing.  

The Poster's name is Maria "Mia" for short. I'm an Artist & deserve some respect... The same exact respect I give ALL OF YOU.

Thank you 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Up to now features in EN does not really place a visible priority on users with special conditions. I say this with luckily being a user who doesn’t have any of such conditions, but I think it is important to have them in mind.

We all grow older, medical problems can develop, whatever happens in life. So there is a lot to improve. Just to mention a few:

• Text size settings are not reflected in parts of the GUI
  • Standard font settings can’t be altered
  • Light / dark mode doesn’t work seamlessly
  • Notes can be created using audio, but there is no transcription 

I do hope the new UI will address at least some of these issues.

Not falling into exactly the same category, but I think RTL languages should be supported as well.

• Like 6

This border within a border in the side bar and note editor seems redundant:

image.png.e4407d489f342f4b223e1cc4e54c8e09.png

It also makes it seem like the side bar and note window are floating on top of the notes list:

image.png.3e37cef6a7f25e0bee3801dec3cd76e4.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I just noticed that I am unable to access the scrollbar in the note list in snippet mode on my Mac.  It is also very light and difficult to see, see below.  Maybe it is too close to the panel resize line (blue) which isn't where I would expect it to be. 

image.png.95c4101bf96f238a27e1af1de1508758.png

Update: I can access the scroll bar if I grab it to the left of the bar.  If I position on the bar the panel resize line gets activated.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I just noticed that I am unable to access the scrollbar in the note list in snippet mode on my Mac.  It is also very light and difficult to see, see below.  Maybe it is too close to the panel resize line (blue) which isn't where I would expect it to be. 

image.png.95c4101bf96f238a27e1af1de1508758.png

Update: I can access the scroll bar if I grab it to the left of the bar.  If I position on the bar the panel resize line gets activated.

I can grab it just, but because it is so narrow it is hit or miss. catching it.  It does not really bother me as I use Cards view, so the Scrool Bar is much wider and easier to use.

• Like 1

It looks like the new UI is coming to some, even if not asked.  I have it today without requesting beta access.

It reformats my tables (poorly) and removes the special formatting of headers (colors, fonts) that I had set on specific pages. ☹️

I did not catch it immediately as I had several open windows (next actions, this week's log) and the main Evernote window.  The standalone windows did not show the changes, but the main window did.  Restarting Evernote shows the changed formatting in both places.

Tables with checkboxes were reformatted.

I had an opinion of the new fonts, background changes, etc. (slightly negative), but I thought it would grow on me, so I was silent, but the reformatting of things tosses past work.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Dave Green said:

Tables with checkboxes were reformatted.

Hmmn.  I volunteered as a beta tester but haven't had any issues with tables (that I've noticed).  What sort of reformatting are you seeing?

4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

What sort of reformatting are you seeing?

Widths of columns and less disturbing heights of columns.  As an example, both the first and second columns were sized to fit in single row.

CleanShot2024-01-30at18_34.02@2x.thumb.png.6b07c513a83b8d14715e5a00ac4d09bf.png

The fifth row, "E," did not have a gap on the items in the S column.  There is also extra spacing under the checkboxes that was not there in the prior format.

I can manually fix the width problem of the first table, and the gap problem, but I can not fix the extra vertical spacing.

The pain in "fixing" is that I have about 100 of these tables.

CleanShot2024-01-30at18_36.19@2x.png.6ae25726dc67674c8434ac3d433d079a.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
43 minutes ago, Dave Green said:

It looks like the new UI is coming to some, even if not asked.  I have it today without requesting beta access..

The iPhone still shows the original formatting (and I just made sure I had the current release from the App Store.)

My tables are butchered too. I think it's because the default font is bigger and wider so it's going to make things wrap. Looks like they've widened the cell margins too. Everything is just bigger and more spread out.

They are also treating the font 'Auto' color differently for dark background cells:

Old:

image.png.6b426d17e0720fd9c080c82b2735d2f2.png

New:

image.png.9e35c8d66ab1a9619f232380bf130301.png

I can of course, manually adjust it -- no problemo. But things are just too spread out for my personal tastes.

Going to probably write up something more comprehensive at some point, but I'm really not liking the UI. Change can be a shock and it can take a bit to become accustomed and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, etc, etc, but IMO, this new UI is so bad in so many ways.

• Like 3

There are also problems when auto-fitting tables to the note width. It doesn't work properly: gets wider than the note, which means some of the table content is not visible, and the table gets added a scrollbar.

It's so irritating that Evernote keeps making changes without any checking or testing.

• Like 3

Two other points...

#1 there seems to be a switch from green to blue going on:

- Checkboxes and checklists are becoming blue.  (probably just a personal preference kind of thing, but I have grown used to green being the Evernote color scheme)

- hovering over a link gives you a blue tooltip view of the link and edit.

I liked the use of Green for "Evernote" things and blue for other links.

#2 Now, not only do templates and note duplication not carry forward settings, the apply color changes to all headers (of a type) does not work.  See https://v.usetapes.com/5VAykY9V2s

• Like 2

At some point things changed that are finally driving me nuts enough to look for help. (I hoped that waiting for some minor releases would get things back to "normal".)

Anyway, my most annoying problem is to get Evernote to remember my preferred point size for adding text in a note. The font is consistent across notes with my choice, but the point size is defaulting to 16 when I want 18. Even within the same note where I've changed the size to 18, inserted lines are 16 and I have to select them and choose the desired size again.

The logical thing would be to set this in a preferences or settings file, but I don't see that choice.

Thank you for any assistance. -Doug

Thanks for the post in the forum. 

I was surprised that the new UI is so ugly and confusing for me. The UI changed suddenly, and it makes it hard for me to find my notes. 

I tried to contact any customer service representative to complain about this issue, but it is also difficult to reach any real people. 

Can anyone provide any ways to get a clean and distinguished UI for users? Thanks

To Evernote staff:
The latest updates for Evernote UI are hard to tell the columns on my laptop. There are no differences for different categories of content, which is confusing and complete chaos for me. (Even I feel the UI is so stupid)

I got used to the black side bar and the white body part, but now, all white and mixed. 

The floating card style is old-fashioned and not flat at all. 

I want to have the previous pure flat style if possible. How can I achieve this? 

As a subscriber, I feel frustrated when seeing the new UI. 

What have you done to the product? I really love Evernote, but not the new UI.  

• Like 8

Users with regards to the Legacy to v10 change - Circa 2020: "There is too much white space and padding everywhere!"

Bending Spoons Pre-UI-Revamp - Late 2023: "You ain't seen nothing yet!"

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

I have realized that the list that appears when you are making a search in the search window is now transparent, si the offered search results mix with the list of pinned notes. A chaos. 

Interface error.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

MOVE Folder Dropdown now too subtle IMO

image.png.db692e6a02a17b561e2f75d48e399792.png

We used to have a bar all the way across and now have a (small) color change.  I often use a few words to narrow the folder search and tab to get to the one I want.  There is very little visual feedback for that action.  It seemed like yesterday when the change was from a green background all the way across to a blue background, and today, to a much subtler color change of just the font.

• Like 1

Any legacy templates with tables are not lined up properly.  All my tables have alignment issues.  There is too much padding and extra space everywhere.  I was able to use the legacy version on my Amazon Fire, but can't do that anymore. I hate the idea of having to research other apps and going through my notes to transfer to another application.  It is that are go through over 5000 notes with tables and make the necessary corrections.  Very disappointed.

Here are a few examples of increased white space:

image.png.a6af0d33421c667b2ecf13a47bbe51d1.png

Most notable are:

• the wider left and right margins in a table cell -- 8 pixels to 18 pixels -- a 125% increase (Edit: the "old" v10 cell padding has been restored in a later fix. Yay!)
  • increased distance between the bottom of the toolbar and the title -- 37 pixels to 68 pixels -- an 84% increase.

I do think a little white space is important, but IMO what we currently have now with the UI revamp just seems a tad bit excessive.

Another example... -- I don't have a comparison of the old version anymore, but here it is on the new:

image.png.8bdd4fc601d7044ef6697d10f888800b.png

There is no empty line between the header and the task or the task and the table. It's just blank padding.

I really wish we could set a preference for those margins and padding.

Edited by Boot17
Table cell padding has been restored close to normal.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
On 2/1/2024 at 12:40 PM, michael8912597 said:

I hate the new UI how. Is it possible to get the old UI back.

No idea what the future plans are (mainly other users here) - you can probably get it back for a little while by contacting Support - though that in itself might take a while.  Whether they plan to offer an option to switch back when the change is made available to everyone I don't know.

I am now on it, and it is much faster; however, I am not a fan of the all-white and much prefer the older one with the Black left-hand column.  The new one is more difficult to read. and where there is colour it is much too faded I might have to consider an alternative if there is no choice of adjustment.

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

I might have to consider an alternative if there is no choice of adjustment

As with the change from Legacy to v10 and then the acquisition and subsequent price increases, I must admit this new UI has me evaluating other alternatives again. So now I've been wasting way too much time monkeying (🙊🙉🙈) with Obsidian again -- not finding any themes I really like and so now I'm down playing in the weeds with custom CSS. It's pretty cool, and it's customization galore (not just styling the CSS yourself, but everything else about Obsidian), but that comes with it's own can of worms and I'm not sure I'm ready to change the way I've become accustomed to working with Evernote.

Maybe this new UI will grow on me and I'll adapt... most likely.

• Like 1

Another thing I've noticed with the UI revamp (not sure I've seen it mentioned before) is that the title of the note you are in is not visible in the header of the window. Not the main window, nor the note when it's opened in it's own window.

Wonder if that's an oversight or if it's by design. 

In the main window, it looks to be by design -- at least on the Mac as they've gotten rid of the window title bar:

image.png.8d5c5b4139ef53b405273d2051e58874.png

There is a window title bar in a note in it's own window though and it's curious why the title doesn't appear there like it used to:

image.png.6ebbaaf69240d1defa33ae04d2e6066e.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
32 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

the title of the note you are in is not visible in the header

I believe it should be visible Always... Clear... Editable... Even if you scroll in the note. If I remember correctly, like in legacy. Much clearer that would be. Much more usable. Great ux/usability. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
36 minutes ago, MvdH said:

it should be visible Always... Clear... Editable... Even if you scroll in the note. If I remember correctly, like in legacy. Much clearer that would be. Much more usable. Great ux/usability. 

Yep - and if you scroll upwards within you note text, the cursor should not move to the title. The upperst position in note text has not to be the title. It's just before the first character of the note text.

Currently you often move to the top with many Cursor-up-clicks and accidently change the title if you start typing. For me as a user who adds new content at the top of a note this is horrible 😤

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, ChristianJB said:

Have you tried dark mode? 

Yes, I do not like Dark Mode. I have tried numerous times with many apps on Dark Mode, but after a short period, I give up on it and return to Light Mod.

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, bmcl26 said:

Yes, I do not like Dark Mode. I have tried numerous times with many apps on Dark Mode, but after a short period, I give up on it and return to Light Mod.

Only use dark mode, better for my eyes. 

29 minutes ago, ChristianJB said:

Me too, it’s much easier on the eyes. I use it all the time, as do most developers these days

• Like 1

I hate to be "that guy" - but I HATE the new UI.
Passionately.

Having the dark column on the left made it easier to distinguish Control from Notes.
Now it's one giant bright white box at a glance. Sucks 

Also when highlighting a table cell, row or column, the selected cell used to be powder blue.
Now it's just a different shade of grey. 
Rather than just knowing blue meant "yeah that is selected" - I now have to play the "shade acuity test" and scroll up or down to compare one grey against the other to make sure I have selected what I want. Wasting time. 
THIS BLOWS.

This should use definable and being force fed whatever the UI designer thought was a good idea.
C'mon Evernote I don't like playing Easter Egg hunts when I'm trying to work.

OK - grumpy old  man rant over.
Back to being Mr Happy Go Lucky

• Like 8
2 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Yep - and if you scroll upwards within you note text, the cursor should not move to the title. The upperst position in note text has not to be the title. It's just before the first character of the note text.

⚠️That!

25 minutes ago, MvdH said:
3 hours ago, AlbertR said:

⚠️That!

Is this a new feature or a new bug? 🤔

It actually would be practical, if you could select both title and note content. But as it is now, it's only messing up, as the cursor easily ends in the wrong place.

1 hour ago, Blake Lane said:

I hate to be "that guy" - but I HATE the new UI.
Passionately.

Having the dark column on the left made it easier to distinguish Control from Notes.
Now it's one giant bright white box at a glance. Sucks 

Also when highlighting a table cell, row or column, the selected cell used to be powder blue.
Now it's just a different shade of grey. 
Rather than just knowing blue meant "yeah that is selected" - I now have to play the "shade acuity test" and scroll up or down to compare one grey against the other to make sure I have selected what I want. Wasting time. 
THIS BLOWS.

This should use definable and being force fed whatever the UI designer thought was a good idea.
C'mon Evernote I don't like playing Easter Egg hunts when I'm trying to work.

OK - grumpy old  man rant over.
Back to being Mr Happy Go Lucky

Again, why did they replace the existing themes, they just had to add two new ones and keep the existing ones...

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Blake Lane said:

Now it's just a different shade of grey. Rather than just knowing blue meant "yeah that is selected" - I now have to play the "shade acuity test" and scroll up or down to compare one grey against the other to make sure I have selected what I want.

+1 for this. Here is the before:

image.png.4a462dfc9419861a763632744420ca62.png

And the after:

image.png.f6ea94869fcbda21590295d9ac0f6e3a.png

IMO, the before is clearly, hands down, better.

Also - there is a bug currently in that the gutter gets off by +1 pixel for every row down the table. Here the row is selected about 10 rows down:

image.png.d5414c6166f63791c6ba8997fc3a5eca.png

• Like 5

And now, for a little bit of some good as this thread is titled bad and good and I've had more than my share of bad...

I do like the inline and code block better with the UI revamp

Before:

image.png.f063909e05b3bcd3d3424d4148adf755.png

After:

image.png.efb7566b54cf0b6bb65a521a83c31732.png

• Like 1
9 hours ago, janndk said:

Is this a new feature or a new bug? 🤔

It actually would be practical, if you could select both title and note content.

Clearly a BUG! The note title can be seen as a file name. Note content is file content. I've never seen an app the mixes up these two things. I can't count the situations in which I accidently changed the title...

16 hours ago, ChristianJB said:

Not if it is that dark, you can not easily read some of the lettering, it causes extra eye strain.

1 hour ago, bmcl26 said:

[white on black...] you can not easily read some of the lettering, it causes extra eye strain.

People who like to read white on black should ask their eye doctors. I think they recommend black on white, because that's what we're used to with paper...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

People who like to read white on black should ask their eye doctors. I think they recommend black on white, because that's what we're used to with paper...

Yes, that is what I was advised by the Surgeon who performed my eye surgery for a detached retina.   I find the Dark Mode has a lot of the content grey Fonts against the Black very difficult and, in most cases, impossible to read.

43 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Why do we have to choose? Let the user pick the colors and I can have pink on purple if that works for me.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, Momofthrees said:

Why do we have to choose? Let the user pick the colors

At the end (in app. 5 years) they might implement such a color picker dialog. For the moment it is much easier to simply offer a toggle button for dark or light. That's enough. They should focus strongly on important things 😉 

• Sad 1
11 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

They should focus strongly on important things 😉 

They should focus strongly on making UI readable and usable.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

At the end (in app. 5 years) they might implement such a color picker dialog. For the moment it is much easier to simply offer a toggle button for dark or light. That's enough. They should focus strongly on important things 😉 

No special configurations needed, just make some of the existing stylesheet(s) accessible. Since they already exist underneath, it shouldn’t require much effort. Then the community can adjust stylesheets to their liking, while the developers can fix the real software bugs...

• Like 6
50 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Then the community can adjust stylesheets to their liking,

This is the first wish of developers who (might) know what they're doing. But it's a nightmare for support if every user tries to adjust stylesheets. I for myself would change font sizes (easy) but do experiments with many other properties (section spaces, table outfit, image placement, ...). Before offering editable stylesheets they will stay with controlled settings for a long time. It's OK for me...

20 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

This is the first wish of developers who (might) know what they're doing. But it's a nightmare for support if every user tries to adjust stylesheets. I for myself would change font sizes (easy) but do experiments with many other properties (section spaces, table outfit, image placement, ...). Before offering editable stylesheets they will stay with controlled settings for a long time. It's OK for me...

Just to be able to change that terrible background, and maybe adjust text contrast a little bit, would help a lot.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

23 minutes ago, janndk said:

Just to be able to change that terrible background, and maybe adjust text contrast a little bit, would help a lot.

Yes, just a reduced stylesheet for font type, size and color settings, harmless.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, eric99 said:

just a reduced stylesheet for font type, size and color settings, harmless.

It would have to be a hidden feature to get not in trouble with all those customers who want more (like me) and|or do not understand how (like appr. >99%)

Necessary effort to restrict it to only these harmless settings and at the the end  explain and support such a feature for all platforms (Android, Windows, Mac, Windows, iPhone, ...) is a bad invest for the moment. They should concentrate on quality, speed and features - not nice looking.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

It would have to be a hidden feature to get not in trouble with all those customers who want more (like me) and|or do not understand how (like appr. >99%)

Necessary effort to restrict it to only these harmless settings and at the the end  explain and support such a feature for all platforms (Android, Windows, Mac, Windows, iPhone, ...) is a bad invest for the moment. They should concentrate on quality, speed and features - not nice looking.

The old UI was somewhat "nice looking" - quite ok to use, anyway. Messing it up was "a bad invest".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
On 2/2/2024 at 2:30 PM, eric99 said:

Me too, it’s much easier on the eyes. I use it all the time, as do most developers these days

Not me, I can't stand dark mode. It is horrible for my eyes and gives me a headache.

13 hours ago, AlbertR said:

For some users it's not about 'looking nice', it's about being able to use it or not

• Like 3

Version 10.68.3 on Windows 11:

• The Windows title bar is missing (tried toggling full screen but no luck)
  • Tabs not indented correctly in sidebar (even though this version was supposed to fix that)

Anyone else seeing this?  Everything seems to work ok on Windows 10.

On 2/2/2024 at 6:00 PM, Boot17 said:

+1 for this. Here is the before:

image.png.4a462dfc9419861a763632744420ca62.png

And the after:

image.png.f6ea94869fcbda21590295d9ac0f6e3a.png

IMO, the before is clearly, hands down, better.

Also - there is a bug currently in that the gutter gets off by +1 pixel for every row down the table. Here the row is selected about 10 rows down:

image.png.d5414c6166f63791c6ba8997fc3a5eca.png

I hope Evernote fixes this, my work is now going to be slightly slown down because of this missed table row  misalignment 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
31 minutes ago, JCummings said:

Thanks, I haven't received it yet but will watch for it.

You can download updates anytime from Evernote.com and just run a manual install if you want ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, PinkElephant said:

No, you made no point.

You gave a general opinion, but no chance to improve anything. 

Understood.

Actually I did responsibly reply to their questionnaire about pros & cons.

Just venting today.

• Like 3

@Blake Lane I thought you made a point -- and I got it. 😃

I must admit I had a pretty visceral reaction the first few days of using the new UI, but now I'm starting to at least get more used to it. I don't hate it as much as I first did but I still think it's not quite as good as the old UI in many ways as noted in many comments above.

It doesn't help that there are many UI bugs with regards to it as well as this one where I was trying to make changes to the cell properties in these two columns... where is the little drop down menu thingy...?

image.png.e674d9560d0a6f00c68e470e3f237ce8.png

Oh, you can't see it either? Lets look closer! It's right here of course:

image.png.7dd164b2c2fbc819648eb759b0b13680.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, Boot17 said:

I'm starting to at least get more used to it.

... but it will be a long journey 😤.  And tables (or attached documents at all) are a good example...
It's a good idea to offer a life preview - but why do the try to "simplify" this preview? One example:

This is a screenshot of an attached Excel document (opened in Excel)

240205-1003-Comparison.xlsx-Excel.png.31ca540e318926c3c2530e9ac023de23.png

In EN10 it can be seen as 

image.png.b2edf83f992015c5f0c8f5b6a4dda9ce.png

Nice - but where are my highlights, cell backgrounds, cell widths, alignements, ...? If I place this Excel file in our CAD-System, it can be seen asimage.png.6d0daaaee6206fdbdeb4ed32b1e47caa.pngand a double-click on this opens Excel to modifiy it (either externally or in-line). It's that easy to implement OLE embedded objects 🤔. On Windows it's a finger excercise for experienced developers, on Mac I think it's possible also. Android? I'm sure, too.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
19 hours ago, Boot17 said:

@Blake Lane I thought you made a point -- and I got it. 😃

I must admit I had a pretty visceral reaction the first few days of using the new UI, but now I'm starting to at least get more used to it. I don't hate it as much as I first did but I still think it's not quite as good as the old UI in many ways as noted in many comments above.

It doesn't help that there are many UI bugs with regards to it as well as this one where I was trying to make changes to the cell properties in these two columns... where is the little drop down menu thingy...?

Oh, you can't see it either? Lets look closer! It's right here of course:

image.png.7dd164b2c2fbc819648eb759b0b13680.png

Holy ... stuff that is not usually holy. What the actual other-bad-word did they think they were doing? Assuming thought entered into it at all.

"I don't hate it as much as I first did": high praise! I'm still resisting even beta testing the thing, but I really appreciate those of you who are, and who presumably have a feedback channel that you are employing vigorously.

• Haha 2
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I really appreciate those of you who are, and who presumably have a feedback channel that you are employing vigorously.

No special channel or forum that I’m aware of.  They did send out a questionnaire for the UI update that I responded to and didn’t hold back on.

• Like 3

I signed up for the "beta" (more of an early try-it-outer) on my Free account - but there was just one questionnaire with text feedback only on a few questions - that's it.

Then on my Personal subscription account, I was auto-opted into it I guess as I didn't sign up for it. I suppose this is where some angst comes in in that I didn't ask for it on my Personal subscription account, but I got it anyway while it's still not all the way baked.

And you are prompted to fill out the questionnaire almost immediately in both my cases -- pretty weird to ask for feedback right then.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I'd like to see a slight improvement when, e.g. moving a note from one notebook to another that having selected the note and hitting Alt+Shift+M, you get a list of Notebooks to move to; you can arrow down the list and each notebook is highlighted in turn by the font colour changing to blue  - I think it would be more helpful if as well as changing the cokur the font was set to bold to make the selection clearer