Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Evernote for Windows V5 beta 3

evernote

• Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#1 dlu

dlu

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

Beta 3 is here! We've added drag & drop reordering for reminders within the same notebook. We also have a new share bar for notes in shared notebooks.

Oh and we added a highlighter tool :-)

Thanks again for trying it out!

If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#2 Seaniedee

Seaniedee

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Awesome!

#3 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:25 PM

The highlighter will be nice. I've been syncing my notes to my phone or ipad to highlight and then sync back.  :D

#4 danlefeb

danlefeb

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:07 AM

I noticed that this update doesn't say "Beta" like the other release notes do in the Windows app.  Does this mean it is officially out of "beta" (despite the title of this post)?

Attached Files

#5 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• Title: "There is no magic, only lost physics"
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:22 AM

Welcome to the forum danlefeb :)

This is still a beta version (Shown by the term "Pre release" in the text in your image)
It would be nice to have a little more consistent naming scheme in the release notes though. (It can vary it seems :( )

Noticed something interesting with this version, not sure if it is new to this one or not.
Shared notebooks (and business notebooks) have a new information bar that shows creator and last editor. Could be quite useful:
http://www.evernote....b81745e00e4ad99

#6 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:27 AM

It would be nice to have a little more consistent naming scheme...

Amen!

#7 danlefeb

danlefeb

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:29 AM

Ah well, one can hope. :)

#8 FactMan

FactMan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 514 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:38 AM

LOVE the highlighter!!!

The drag-and-drop of reminders within a notebook took me a little while to figure out for some reason, but that is awesome too!

I am not seeing the share bar, but that could be because I don't have many shared notes at the moment.

Great to see some of the suggestions that have been around for a long time and now starting to be implemented.

#9 JohnOem

JohnOem

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:23 AM

HIGHLIGHTED TEXT... YeeeHawww   :D

I was afraid I wouldn't last to see it.
If for no other reason than this... LOVE IT !

Thanks and keep up the good work.

alias: Hassayampa Slim

"Make the World a Better Place; Think Before You Speak"

#10 dlu

dlu

• 2,415 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:40 AM

HIGHLIGHTED TEXT... YeeeHawww   :D

I was afraid I wouldn't last to see it.
If for no other reason than this... LOVE IT !

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Glad you like it! Yeah I know it took a while... Maybe I'll just go change my avatar to a turtle

If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

#11 gustavgi

gustavgi

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:05 AM

Please bring back the option to have separate tag/notebook/saved search searches in the toolbar. It was less cludded when you knew you wanted a certain tag, the program knew you wanted a tag and therefore highlighted the top tag letting you press enter to chose the first tag recommendation instanly. The left menu bar would also jump to that tag, making it a very quick and useful nested tag-tree navigation tool.  The closest thing - "filter by tag" - isn't nearly as effective, as it only sorts within a selected area, does not search within the tag name but from the first letter, and has no connection to the left side bar.

• EdH likes this

#12 gustavgi

gustavgi

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:22 AM

And the international letter search bug has been adjusted slightly. å ä ö ø are now handled as 'a' and 'o' and æ is handeled as 'ae', while still leaving out search results containing å ä ö etc. except in word suggestions and they're still not displaying the correct letter.

• dlu likes this

#13 Xabi

Xabi

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the highlighter!  Is there a shortcut for it (like ctrl+u for underlining)?

#14 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• Title: "There is no magic, only lost physics"
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for the highlighter!  Is there a shortcut for it (like ctrl+u for underlining)?

The view - Styles menu says

Ctrl + Shift + H

#15 ddiaz

ddiaz

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

Hi good job , the new interface is nice and the highlighter tool is a plus but after installed this beta version i can not  use some keyboards shortcut for example  , alt + shitt+ A , notes created today, etc  and where is the advanced search menu ? (notes created today , notes created last week , notes containing ... ,  )

Thanks in advanced.

#16 Xabi

Xabi

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

The view - Styles menu says

Ctrl + Shift + H

Thanks!  Was trying to look for it and couldn't find it...

#17 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,790 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

Glad you like it! Yeah I know it took a while... Maybe I'll just go change my avatar to a turtle

Turtles pull their heads into their shells -- you definitely don't do that!

On the multiply-defined tags thing: OK, so it looks like this has been at least partially addressed:

Scenario: you have a tag in a notebook shared to you that's identical to one from your personal account (e.g. "_Todo"). These tags show in the tag tree as "_Todo" and "_Todo (<shared account name>)". When clicking on an instance of the shared tag in the tag tree, both instances would automatically be selected (surprising UI), and the search would behave as though the two separate tags were added to the search string, most likely leading to automatic search failure, as you would wind up with a search for notes with both tags, which is impossible since you cannot apply tags from your account to notes from a different account, and vice-versa (suprising and bad). In other places in the UI (e.g. the search filter area, above the note list), the two tags appear to be indistinguishable, as they are just shown as a blue tag icon with the tag name inside. Most of the time, that's probably OK, since the context dictates which tag is being used, however, when filtering on a multiply-defined tag, the search filter area shows two identical copies of the same tag icon with no indication of which is which. Confusing.

Previously, as noted, searching on a multiply-defined tag would most probably fail; however, you could delete one or the other of the duplicated tag icons in the search filter area, and the search would use the remaining tag, and that would work sort of as expected, with the result finding only tags with the specific tag instance (personal or shared).

Currently, you still get the duplicated tag display, but now you cannot delete either of the "duplicates" from the search filter area, which is confusing. However, the search now finds notes with either tag, which is what I was looking for originally. This is a big improvement for my usage, so thathanks to the Win devs for that.

It's still not clear to me what the idea behind the behavior of auto-selecting all multiply defined tags in the tag tree when you select one of them, or the reason for showing duplicate blue icon tags in the search filter area, but Jack pointed out that this is still beta, and I see this build's change as forward progress. Even so, I can't really see much reason for having distinct tag instances for identically named tags in the tag tree (except perhaps for the note counts??), as you can't do anything with the individual tag instances. Obviously something I'm keeping my eye on, but I can wait on further progress and hopefully more explanation. Thanks again.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#18 gonsalvr

gonsalvr

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Looks like you guys have fixed/changed the Snippet view. :)  Its more like the old 4.x Thumbnail view. I love it once again.

#19 raerei

raerei

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:52 PM

I am so excited by this update since I love the highlighter feature in Clearly and on my iPad.

Thanks!

My only concern with the beta is the lack of contrast, the website version and android versions have some nice grays as contrast and then pops of green while in this version the sidebar melts into the notes lists and the menu melts into the rest. (The notes themselves actually have contrast and depth though shadowing). Here's to hoping that the design will be addressed before it goes out of beta to give it a little more Evernote feel.

#20 dlu

dlu

• 2,415 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:50 PM

Turtles pull their heads into their shells -- you definitely don't do that!

On the multiply-defined tags thing: OK, so it looks like this has been at least partially addressed:

Scenario: you have a tag in a notebook shared to you that's identical to one from your personal account (e.g. "_Todo"). These tags show in the tag tree as "_Todo" and "_Todo (<shared account name>)". When clicking on an instance of the shared tag in the tag tree, both instances would automatically be selected (surprising UI), and the search would behave as though the two separate tags were added to the search string, most likely leading to automatic search failure, as you would wind up with a search for notes with both tags, which is impossible since you cannot apply tags from your account to notes from a different account, and vice-versa (suprising and bad). In other places in the UI (e.g. the search filter area, above the note list), the two tags appear to be indistinguishable, as they are just shown as a blue tag icon with the tag name inside. Most of the time, that's probably OK, since the context dictates which tag is being used, however, when filtering on a multiply-defined tag, the search filter area shows two identical copies of the same tag icon with no indication of which is which. Confusing.

Previously, as noted, searching on a multiply-defined tag would most probably fail; however, you could delete one or the other of the duplicated tag icons in the search filter area, and the search would use the remaining tag, and that would work sort of as expected, with the result finding only tags with the specific tag instance (personal or shared).

Currently, you still get the duplicated tag display, but now you cannot delete either of the "duplicates" from the search filter area, which is confusing. However, the search now finds notes with either tag, which is what I was looking for originally. This is a big improvement for my usage, so thathanks to the Win devs for that.

It's still not clear to me what the idea behind the behavior of auto-selecting all multiply defined tags in the tag tree when you select one of them, or the reason for showing duplicate blue icon tags in the search filter area, but Jack pointed out that this is still beta, and I see this build's change as forward progress. Even so, I can't really see much reason for having distinct tag instances for identically named tags in the tag tree (except perhaps for the note counts??), as you can't do anything with the individual tag instances. Obviously something I'm keeping my eye on, but I can wait on further progress and hopefully more explanation. Thanks again.

There's some bugginess in there that we're working on

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote