New Web Experience Beta now Available

Chantal Leonard

Idea

Hi Folks -

We’re making our new Evernote Web experience available for users to try today.

What makes it so shiny and new you ask?

• We’ve spiffed things up to create more consistent design and interactions across web and other platforms.
  • With the ‘Shared with me’ view, you can now easily see all of the notes and notebooks that have, well, been shared with you. 
  • We’ve done some work under the hood to improve search results, so things will now be ordered by relevance instead of date updated.

Coming soon to a web experience near you: You may be missing reminders and a tags view, but don’t worry; we’re adding functionality to this new world as we go, so some of your favorite features are still to come.

Want in?

• All you have to do is go to ‘Settings’ and click the ‘Use the new web beta’ link. 
  • Give it a spin and then send us any feedback you have by using with ‘Feedback’ button.
  • If the changes aren’t your cup of tea, no worries. You can turn back the clock by navigating to ‘Account’ and clicking on ‘Switch to previous version of Evernote’.

New Web Experience 

image.thumb.png.0d29759571bdcba23b9407c44070cccb.png

• Like 8

I like the look of the new web client. However, I can't see a way to search inside particular notebooks (as opposed to searching all notes), like we can in the previous version. If there is not a way to do that, I would find it very useful for that feature to be added back.

Is there an intention that the new web version will have multi-select capability? This is what is keeping me using the classic version despite it no longer working properly on Chrome. As a linux and android user, the classic web version is the only way I have to get multiple note selection and note merge functionality.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
15 minutes ago, JoeMD said:

I can't see the link to try the beta out anywhere. Nothing in Settings apart from links to upgrade to Premium. Maybe I'm just being stupid?

On the Settings page, Account Summary tab, you should see "Evernote Web" about 2/3 of the way down, and a link to try out the new stuff (I've already changed over for the moment, so it's different for me)

image.png.f451f335c8d947f15734305af99d5d09.png

• Thanks 1
23 hours ago, Metrodon said:

Am I being really dumb (don't answer that Jeff) - is there a way yet to expand Notebooks in the sidebar?

Seriously. How do they not get that this is needed.

Notebook stacks and notebooks in the left column. Get with it, Evernote. This is ridiculous.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Metrodon said:

It's the first public beta....give them a chance.

I just wasn't sure if I was missing something.

It's the beta of the new version of the UI... but this functionality was absent in the previous version of the UI also. It's not like this is a brand new product or something.

The more I think about it, the more puzzling this is. Even a child could see that the list of notebooks should be there on the left-hand side. Hiding them behind a superfluous icon or menu item makes no sense.

Maybe they're worried about adapting to different screen sizes? But even that doesn't make sense now, with the new design. The column is there... yet you still can't use it to browse your notebooks.

The principal improvement of the new Evernote Web for me is not the design, but a new scheme of URLs.

I mean, that I can take the link to notebook (like https://www.evernote.com/client/web#?b=7b5657265-5731-4515-bc5a-aww20b8c7ba15 (link to notebook don't real, it's example of URL- adress, but you can see screenshots of real notebooks below)

and use this link somewhere in another place (for examle in browser bookmarks).

As result, i can create an (infinity) multilevel hierarchical structure of my notebooks (or single notes) - see left side of screenshots - hierarchy of bookmarks in Safari browser.

---------------

For Evernote- developers: besides tags we need ability to edit (rename, create, add to favorites) and take a link to Evernote Stacks too.

093656.png

094012.png

My problems are not over.

When I use the same link (https://www.evernote.com/client/web#?anb=true&) for two different accounts, Account Summary for each indicate that I am using the beta version, but only the Plus account renders Notebooks correctly,  i.e., correctly, with Notebooks nested in stacks. However, this Basic account does not render any stacks, instead listing all notebooks in order (e.g., A-Z); and furthermore, lists one notebook (Chromecast) twice, with one indicating correctly (8) notes, the other indicating (0) notes.

ENbeta_BAD2.thumb.png.b54e7aff0eb59ea507b28b63ad9b701d.png

I noted in my earlier post that clearing all FIrefox caches resolved rendering the problem. However, this time I am using the Chrome browser, have signed out/signed in, and cleared all browser settings/cache, to no avail.

• Like 1

I can't seem to find a way to filter or sort search results in the new version. If I search by several tags, a list of notes is returned in seemingly random order with no option to sort.

Also, I would stop hiding common functions under different icons and menus. Having to click several times within menus to make a note link is frustrating. I'd give up a "clean" interface for a "useful" interface any day.

• Like 2

I've also found that it's harder to include links to other notes. It's now not obvious where to find the equivalent of the "copy notelink" button that existed previously (it's under "Share", then "More share options"), and then when I paste this into another note, the full link gets displayed, rather than a link showing just the text of the note title. It would be very nice to have it working like it did before.

• Like 1

I'm just now finding out about this beta version of the web client.  Looks really good!  For some reason I can't see my shortcuts though.  Anyone else experiencing this?  I'm sorry I didn't have time to read through all the posts.  I did try searching.  Maybe I missed it.

• Like 1

I started to use the new web-client actively today and I am sad to report that it loses changes in notes.

There is no way to provide you the concrete steps except:

• Open existing note
  • Edit it
  • Click another note
  • Click back on note you just edited
  • => Changes are lost, the edited note is in its original pre-edit state

If it happens to a note I can repeat it over and over again until I refresh the page completely.

Hope you can fix it soon,
Thanks.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

All you have to do is go to ‘Settings’ and click the ‘Get the new Evernote Web’ link. 

Hmmm, not seeing the new 'Get the new Evernote Web' link... :( 

Still seeing the "Get Business" link.

Edit: OK, I clicked on "Use the new web beta" link (just different enough that I had doubts), and that seems to have done it. Look, the big '+' is here!! The Notebook view! And... emoji!!

:) 

So, a work in progress. No saved searches. No Spaces yet. We'll see how the searches go....

Hmmm, "any:" searches don't seem to work...

54 minutes ago, jefito said:

Hmmm, not seeing the new 'Get the new Evernote Web' link... :( 

Still seeing the "Get Business" link.

Edit: OK, I clicked on "Use the new web beta" link (just different enough that I had doubts), and that seems to have done it. Look, the big '+' is here!! The Notebook view! And... emoji!!

So, a work in progress. No saved searches. No Spaces yet. We'll see how the searches go....

Hmmm, "any:" searches don't seem to work...

Thanks for catching the typo on the instructions, fixed! 

We're tracking the work for saved searches, and hope to get that in soon. Thanks for passing along early thoughts, keep them coming. 

• Level 5*

Seems to run quickly. very nice.  I don't use the web that often, but for my use case:

1. Not having a notebook drop down in the left panel may be a PITA.  Two clicks to get to a notebook every time.  Didn't notebook view just disappear from Windows (the one with all the notes listed under the notebook, which isn't of much use for large notebooks anyway) which is what this looks like?
  2. Couldn't find a list view of any sort, which is more productive for some of us.
  3. Still can't modify create/update dates.
  4. Notebook specific or note specific are the only shortcuts that appear.
  5. History option failed.
  6. ADDED: Snippet view on the PC displays tags, not so on the new web.

I don't think the above are two out of bounds for "We’ve spiffed things up to create more consistent design and interactions across web and other platforms."  Overall though, looks and performs smoothly.  Thanks.

EDIT:  Added snippet view comment.

Edited by CalS
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Does the new version only work in Google Chrome?  After a couple of false starts I got through to the 'switch to the new Evernote web',  but https://www.evernote.com/client/web#?an=true& gets me here.  I'm logged in to my account,  but the options are to download Evernote or to use Chrome..  I use Firefox...?

2018-05-30-17-41-04.thumb.jpg.33384f10aa1c1d75286082e3f479399b.jpg

Just a suggestion, but there are various user agent string "switcher" add-ons that allows you to spoof your string to a site. A note of caution to use at your own risk. 

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher-revived/

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, Metrodon said:

Am I being really dumb (don't answer that Jeff) - is there a way yet to expand Notebooks in the sidebar?

Not that I could find. 

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Metrodon said:

Yes, and no.

You click on Notebooks to get a pane with the Stack/Notebook tree. Click on a stack to open/close it, click on a notebook to show/hide its notes. I kinda prefer the stack/notebook tree control to be in the left panel myself, but maybe the coming Spaces have something to do with this change.

On 6/1/2018 at 6:05 PM, jefito said:

You click on Notebooks to get a pane with the Stack/Notebook tree. 

That's not what I see. No expanding/collapsing stacks, just a list of notebooks each of which may be expand to display a list of notes contained therein.

Two comments:

• I like the Mac UI, so I like this new web UI that mirrors the Mac UI almost perfectly. It's an obvious upgrade from the previous version.
  • I am concerned this new web UI only includes the "Snippet View" for the notes list. I mostly use Evernote for its "Expanded Card View" that I find much easier to parse visually than the usual lists that almost all notes app include. I hope its absence from the web UI does not mean Evernote plans to remove it from the Mac app...
On 5/29/2018 at 9:28 PM, Chantal Leonard said:

Hi Folks -

We’re making our new Evernote Web experience available for users to try today.

What makes it so shiny and new you ask?

• We’ve spiffed things up to create more consistent design and interactions across web and other platforms.
  • With the ‘Shared with me’ view, you can now easily see all of the notes and notebooks that have, well, been shared with you. 
  • We’ve done some work under the hood to improve search results, so things will now be ordered by relevance instead of date updated.

Coming soon to a web experience near you: You may be missing reminders and a tags view, but don’t worry; we’re adding functionality to this new world as we go, so some of your favorite features are still to come.

Want in?

• All you have to do is go to ‘Settings’ and click the ‘Use the new web beta’ link. 
  • Give it a spin and then send us any feedback you have by using with ‘Feedback’ button.
  • If the changes aren’t your cup of tea, no worries. You can turn back the clock by navigating to ‘Account’ and clicking on ‘Switch to previous version of Evernote’.

New Web Experience 

image.thumb.png.0d29759571bdcba23b9407c44070cccb.png

I miss the button that creates a new note based on a meeting on my calendar. If you could please add that back — or better still, add it to the Mac version as well ?

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, PETStech said:

That's not what I see. No expanding/collapsing stacks, just a list of notebooks each of which may be expand to display a list of notes contained therein.

I click on "Notebooks" in the left panel (the dark one), a pane opens up showing me my stacks and unstacked notebooks. I can click triangle to the left of on a stack to open it and expose its notebooks, or click on the triangle next to a notebook to expose a list of its notes:

image.png.5b7b2db112af0690df1be28e1eebb49d.png

Or click on a notebook's title to open a note list pane with a note pane to the right:

image.png.901b80f00a193812cf266141eb9b4050.png

I tried Evernote Web [beta] again this morning with the link https://www.evernote.com/client/web#?anb=true&amp and still got no stacks and one notebook, Chromecast, with two listings: one indicating (8) notes, the other (0) notes. When I clicked the one with (0), it immediately disappeared and the list of 8 notes appeared under the one with (8).

EvernoteWebBAD.thumb.png.466ff4ce65dea97f0fef52fb80ccb420.png

I tried again later, after clearing caches in the Firefox browser and got what I should get, a listing with stacks.

• Level 5*

This takes forever to load.  I just timed it at two minutes.  The first time I accessed there was a message that it might take a while.  I think this recent log in took longer than that initial load.  The rest of the internet seems to be running just fine.  Switching back to classic.

Just testing this version on Chrome and Firefox.

On Chrome, I cannot see the Chat icon.

In Firefox, all of the icons are present.

Early days.  It would be helpful if the web version looked the same on Firefox and Chrome.

Hi!

I have been testing the new version in Chrome and it looks amazing. Thank you so much for putting your efforts on renewing the web client (I was waiting for it for long time!). Here is some feedback I've collected for you to continue with the improvement tasks.

Spontaneous logouts

In the last days I have been experiencing some spontaneous logouts. In such cases, while I am working on a note, the page refreshes itself and a message appears saying that Evernote was not able to load (see attached picture). Since I am accessing from Finland, I think it could be the case that you are doing some nightly maintenance (which makes more sense now you are releasing a new web client). I was wondering if you could notify us (your users) beforehand, so the notes we were working at that time don't get lost. Maybe a web-browser notifications some minutes before would do the job nicely.

logout.png

Unwanted tag search buffering

I see that tags are now implemented in this new web client: thanks for that! I just tried searching some notes using the Evernote search syntax, and it seems it is somehow affecting later queries. This is how I reproduce this issue: I look for "tag:A tag:B" using the search bar and all notes with tags A and B are returned. Then I try to gather the notes with tag "A" from the "Tags" tab, and I still get only these notes that have both "A" and "B" (notes with tag "A", but not "B", are not shown anymore). The good news is that later I can repair the problem by making the search "tag:A".

Accumulative tag search

In the desktop and mobile clients, we have a way to focus our search using tags in an accumulative manner. This is, a search for notes with tag "A" would reduce the scope of the next search by only suggesting the tags that go together with "A" in the last search result. I see this is still not implemented in the new web client. It would be great if you in fact add it! It would make the experience across platforms more uniform.

---

Thank you for your time and effort!

Hello, I'm trying this out, and I can't find a way to copy links to notes (the equivalent of "Copy notelink" in the old version). Is there a way, and if not can this functionality be added back?

Also, another comment I posted here before seems to have vanished - I can't find a way to limit searches to particular notebooks, which is very useful. So it would be great if that functionality could be added back, if there is not a way to do it in the beta.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Pagw said:

Also, another comment I posted here before seems to have vanished - I can't find a way to limit searches to particular notebooks, which is very useful. So it would be great if that functionality could be added back, if there is not a way to do it in the beta.

Your post is still here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/113856-new-web-experience-beta-now-available/?do=findComment&comment=510017

This forum is sorted by vote count, and your previous post has one, so it appears higher on the page than posts with no votes. If you sort by date, you'll see them in the order that they were posted. Softing is done using the controls just under the main topic, on the right-hand side of the page. Also, you can find your previous posts by going to your forum profile page.

5 minutes ago, jefito said:

Your post is still here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/113856-new-web-experience-beta-now-available/?do=findComment&comment=510017

This forum is sorted by vote count, and your previous post has one, so it appears higher on the page than posts with no votes. If you sort by date, you'll see them in the order that they were posted. Softing is done using the controls just under the main topic, on the right-hand side of the page. Also, you can find your previous posts by going to your forum profile page.

Ah, great, sorry, I didn't realise the posts were being sorted that way.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Pagw said:

Ah, great, sorry, I didn't realise the posts were being sorted that way.

No problem. Threw me for a while when they first instituted it (and it's only in certain forums). I think that they're trying to make it easier to gauge popularity of feature requests in forums, and depending on users to put feature requests in the dedicated forums (as opposed to forums dedicated to how-do-I? types of questions)

On 7/6/2018 at 12:16 PM, Pagw said:

Hello, I'm trying this out, and I can't find a way to copy links to notes (the equivalent of "Copy notelink" in the old version). Is there a way, and if not can this functionality be added back?

it's buried (wish it weren't) under Share button » More share options » Copy internal link.

• Thanks 1

I love the new beta, but there are 3 features I would love to see implemented:

1- Ability to update the Created and Updated dates, just like in Desktop version. This is useful when migrating notes from other services.

2- Play audio notes within the note, instead of opening in a new tab or downloading the file.

3- Notebook search. I want to search a notebook, i.e. exclude all notes that do not belong to a specific notebook. This feature exists in Desktop and current web version. 

Also, THANK YOU for bringing the new tables format!

Thanks!

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, nurgasemetey@gmail.com said:

Creating new note is very cumbersome in this beta. It can be fixed.

How so?  Clicking on the + sign along the left margin will create a new note.

• Like 1
On 7/12/2018 at 10:37 PM, s2sailor said:

How so?  Clicking on the + sign along the left margin will create a new note.

It will not create immediately. Firstly I must select "notebook". If notebook is located in down due to alphabetic sorting, I must scroll. There is no recent notebooks or search by typing. I just want to create note and categorize later. 

• Level 5*
On 7/14/2018 at 5:56 AM, nurgasemetey@gmail.com said:

Firstly I must select "notebook". If notebook is located in down due to alphabetic sorting, I must scroll.

Hmmm, not for me.  If I click the + it immediately creates a new note assigned to my default notebook.  I can then change the notebook if I choose but I don't need to first select one.  Maybe try using a different browser to see if the behavior is different.

• Level 5*
On 7/14/2018 at 5:56 AM, nurgasemetey@gmail.com said:

I just want to create note and categorize later. 

The problem is that all notes must have a notebook, so it must be chosen before the note is created. You either must go to the notebook you want and create the note there, or when there is no current notebook (as with All Notes), choose the destination notebook on note creation.

The notebook chooser in the first case could be better as you suggest, I'll agree.

When clicking on a link within a note in Evernote, it is redirected to the respective site of the link directly, just by clicking, which by the way ends up being undesired in most of the time. One solution to this would be to implement the option to "open" along with the other options that appear as soon as the link is clicked, such as "edit" and "remove", the "open" should be included in it. Or create two modes in the note, like Google Docs, there is the "edit" mode, and "preview" mode, what sets the two apart is that in "edit" mode the links you click do not redirects to another page (but there is a possibility if you want to access it), and allows you to make any changes to the document, whereas in view mode you can only interact with the file.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, willianjhonatta said:

When clicking on a link within a note in Evernote, it is redirected to the respective site of the link directly, just by clicking, which by the way ends up being undesired in most of the time.

I responded here about right-clicking or hovering on a link

Seems like the new web version is currently unavailable for Firefox. This seems strange given that a previous user post suggested that the beta was working on Firefox as of 7-5-2018. Any chance that we could get an ETA on which browsers will get the beta when? The information would be much appreciated. :)

Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 1.22.13 PM.png

• Like 1

Someone above mentioned that tags were implemented. I don't get any. I just shared a TIFF2018 Notebook with account B, and when I login to the web as account B, I see the notebook but none of the tag s that those notes have. 

The tags are also all missing in the previous version of web, so I'm pretty much scr***ed.   Please get the tags working on one or the other. My second premium account is useless to me without tag sharing.

20180724_234032.jpg

20180724_234205.jpg

I find that sometimes when I return to my Evernote tab, it is back in the old (current) version of the web application, even though it is still set to use the beta version in the settings, presumably because my browser reloaded the page at some point. Changing the Evernote settings to use the current version and then the beta version again and then going back to the notes seems to work, but could it be made so that the beta version is loaded whenever Evernote is loaded with this setting?

Where the hell are the reminders - your taking the piss and falling behind the reiterating tech companies of 2018 like Monzo that actually interact with their customers and deliver updates that people want and need. Hardcore love the the product but really need to listen to customers. Get this moving down the productivity pathway and help a busy guy out!!!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JRRS1982 said:

Where the hell are the reminders - your taking the piss and falling behind the reiterating tech companies of 2018 like Monzo that actually interact with their customers and deliver updates that people want and need. Hardcore love the the product but really need to listen to customers. Get this moving down the productivity pathway and help a busy guy out!!!

Geez, where's the politeness? Didn't you read the topic post? Italicized for your convenience:

Take a deep breath and remind yourself that this is a beta (I'd call it a preview, myself). If you need reminders, you should go back to the actual current release version: Settings / Evernote Web / Go back to current version. Or you can always go power-user, and do your own searches: e.g., a search of reminderorder:* will find notes with reminders.

• Like 2

I am just having a problems with accessing the beta. For some reason switching to beta works with my msn account but when I try with my Gmail account and I get is a white loading screen for literally hours. I have a gsuite account. Is anyone else facing this issue?

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, rdolmat said:

Is it just me? Or is there even LESS information available in this new "beta"? Are we losing more and more access to immediate info/detail with every "improvement"? I don't get it.

afaik  Evernote is still in the process of adding features to this beta version.  For example Reminders are still outstanding.

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, rdolmat said:

Is it just me? Or is there even LESS information available in this new "beta"? Are we losing more and more access to immediate info/detail with every "improvement"? I don't get it.

It isn't the full product as yet, so it doesn't have much use for day to day work.  More of a come see where things are going playground.

Anyone have a reset to the original web version URL link?  

I just saw this new beta tonight, thought I'd give it a try.. but it didn't show my shortcuts (any of them) and only showed about 26,000 of my 41,000 notes for some reason.  Tried to switch back to the normal web version and now all I get is a white screen - something must be 'stuck'?

*disregard... in the time it took to hard boil a dozen eggs, check the screen again and ponder my options... then type out the above, Evernote web (beta) rendered (Chrome browser, i7 Dell with 16gb ram, 256gb ssd) - and with my shortcuts and all notes showing.    Looks good - but hopefully that initial wait doesn't mean it is trying to download hundreds of mb of data?!?

*edit -- missing several shortcuts.   nested tags not working (assuming that's already been pointed out).. and wondering if tag (and notebook) styles might transfer across to this new web version.  Otherwise, looking good... hopefully it develops entirely soon.  It would be nice to see a beautiful revamp of Evernote with some new style and new features  (integrated calendar, improved pen support (I use a surface pro 4, ipad pro and likely note 9 soon).  

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

It's an account settings thing  2060125832_ScreenShot2018-09-09at20_49_44.png.930e275456dff044e46af04e76ed7bfe.png

Thanks.. I was more concerned earlier because I was only getting  a white screen and no options for anything.... I just needed to wait (and wait and wait).. then had the beta screen available.

On 7/6/2018 at 3:22 AM, Pagw said:

I like the look of the new web client. However, I can't see a way to search inside particular notebooks (as opposed to searching all notes), like we can in the previous version. If there is not a way to do that, I would find it very useful for that feature to be added back.

This was the first serious concern I had as well. Searching in all notebooks is not at all a substitute for being able to search in one notebook. Please add this back in.

When will the most vital and basic feature of moving notebooks be available?  I understand that it is a beta BUT THAT IS THE MOST BASIC FEATURE.   Moving notebooks should of been enabled before the beta was even announced.  Now 4 months later and still can't move notebooks.   I like the look of the new interface but you can't even do something as simple as ORGANIZING.   ?

I just switched to the Beta. Kinda pissed that I didn't receive any notification that it was available because the last update, prior to this beta, blew away auto-complete shortcuts along with code formatting on the toolbar which I use extensively.

My apologies if any of these were already posted, but I tried to make sure they aren't repeats.

1. I am missing the ability to quickly change a note's notebook by clicking on the notebook and then being able to do a text search for the target notebook. Having to click on the menu and then choose move note, and then scroll through my 50+ notebooks is tedious. a.) the note should always have the associated notebook shown. I like the ability to click on the name itself to go to that notebook; b.) the notebook should have an edit icon next to it that I can click to change it.

2. Since you elected to roll all of the notebooks into a separate click in the sidebar, why don't you put the Inbox on the top level. It would flow so much better. I treat my Evernote like I do my Mailbox and my GTD task manager. Put things in the inbox, review them, and then move them to notebooks. And it would be great to have Inbox as the "home" page if you will.

3. This has been requested several times over the years, so I thought I would try again. Add the ability to pin notes to the top of a notebook. I usually have one or two notes that represent a summary of the activity going on in a notebook and I would like to have easy access to them. Please don't suggest favorites or reminders, as they do not solve the organizational dilemma. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bill Butler said:

Since you elected to roll all of the notebooks into a separate click in the sidebar, why don't you put the Inbox on the top level.

1867442577_ScreenShot2018-09-21at14_41_16.png.601601541871a3c347eba86e49689e36.png

There's a Notebook icon in the sidebar to launch the Notebook page
In the Notebook page, I see and alpha ordered list of Stacks/Notebooks
How does "Inbox" apply to this?

I do want my default notebook (@Default) listed first.  
I achieve this by prefixing the notebook name with @

>> I usually have one or two notes that represent a summary of the activity going on in a notebook and I would like to have easy access to them.

There's no pin feature.  
I can adjust the title or dates so the notes naturally
sort to the top of the list.
(date adjustment requires the Mac/Windows platform.

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

There's a Notebook icon in the sidebar to launch the Notebook page
In the Notebook page, I see and alpha ordered list of Stacks/Notebooks
Where does "Inbox" apply to this?

I do have a notebook I want listed first.  I achieve this by prefixing the notebook name with @

>> I usually have one or two notes that represent a summary of the activity going on in a notebook and I would like to have easy access to them.

There's no pin feature.  I can adjust the title or dates so the notes naturally sort to the top of the list.
(date adjustment requires the Mac/Windows platform.

I appreciate your commentary, however...

The whole idea with developing a good UX (One of my jobs as software architect) is to minimize clicks. An Inbox choice--between All Notes and Notebooks--in the left most vertical nav-bar would allow quick access to the default notebook for new notes. (I understand that the default can be changed, so display the default notebook). And I am well aware of the technique to fool systems into ordering items by putting symbols in front to push important stuff to the top. It is a problem that should be solved natively, without the need to invent cockamamie workarounds.

Yes, I know there is no PIN feature, which is why I am requesting it. Sorting by date does not solve the need to keep very important notes at the top of the notebook list. I write a spec, or project outline that I want to keep in focus all of the time. All of the other notes in the notebook are supporting for the primary spec. It is sort of like taping in a document to the front cover of a real copybook.

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, Bill Butler said:

An Inbox choice--between All Notes and Notebooks--in the left most vertical nav-bar would allow quick access to the default notebook for new notes.

I also want quick access for new notes.  I should not have to specify notebook at all
With no notebook selected, new notes should automatically be assigned the default notebook.
I see this as the definition of "default"1185501912_ScreenShot2018-09-21at14_52_05.png.de0bebaa14280c35e1fdeb60c50e6bde.png

I just tried the BETA version today, and I like the overall feel.   However, unless I'm missing something, Tags are a mess!  I spent A LOT of time organizing my tags into categories/titles and now they are just a massive list in alphabetical order.  It pretty much makes them useless for the way I use Evernote and tags.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Hylander said:

I just tried the BETA version today, and I like the overall feel.   However, unless I'm missing something, Tags are a mess!  I spent A LOT of time organizing my tags into categories/titles and now they are just a massive list in alphabetical order.  It pretty much makes them useless for the way I use Evernote and tags.  

Bearing in mind this is a beta,  and Evernote has said there is more to come...

I can confirm your lack of parent/ child tags (I assume that's what you meant by "categories/titles") - all my tags are also in alpha order.  What is weird is that instead of all the A's being sorted together,  there are two completely separate indices for capitalized tags and low case - A - Z and then a - z.  So not only do you need to remember the name of the tag,  you also have to remember whether or not it had a capital...

Couldn't find an alphabetizing rule that applies (surprisingly) but in my experience either capitalization is completely ignored in filing,  or one level is filed in front of another - as in: and / And / astonomy / Astronomy.  Y'don't get Uppercase filing followed by lowercase (or vice-versa)...

Absolutely agree tag index handling needs a lot of work!!

• Like 1

I can't get past this screen.  When I log in via Chrome, it brings me here automatically and clicking the green "take a look" button OR the 'x" to get out takes me to a black screen that never loads.

image.png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, maravs6 said:

I can't get past this screen.  When I log in via Chrome, it brings me here automatically and clicking the green "take a look" button OR the 'x" to get out takes me to a black screen that never loads.

Hi.  Have you tried clearing your cache?  If you're in the market for an alternative Chrome-based browser,  I'm currently using Vivaldi which shows the new web page for me...  Chrome add-ins are supported.

7 hours ago, maravs6 said:

How long have you waited?  I've gotten to the black screen, gone to the kitchen, made coffee, some lunch, watch a couple youtube videos  and returned to have the new web on screen.  Your results may vary.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, ej8899 said:

How long have you waited

Yup. Jolly good question - one of my comments on the new web version has been that it takes a very long time to load compared with other sites.

Two things I'd like to see:

1. I use notelinks all the time when creating a child document, I will place a parent link at the top of the note.  The new interface still provides this but it's a couple steps deeper in menuing and transitions mode styles in the process.  For something I use all the time, it's not my favorite UI change.

2. Tags are missing in shortcuts.  I use tags to do things like 'action required' or 'incoming' and really miss the convenience of having tags in the shortcuts view.

• Level 5*
On 10/12/2018 at 6:21 PM, laird said:

I will place a parent link at the top of the note.

Hi.  How exactly are you wanting to do this?  AFAICS the easiest way to add a shortcut is to copy and paste the link into the note.  On the occasions when I'm creating a note 'tree' for various purposes I'll either link all the notes together with a temporary tag,  search for that tag and add a Table of Contents to link to all the notes,  or have a 'parent' note open in another window and copy and paste links to and from that note.

• Level 5*
On 10/12/2018 at 10:21 AM, laird said:

Tags are missing in shortcuts.

Shortcuts are missing in the shortcuts section.  ?
Still a work-in-progress.  I reverted back to the previous version.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Shortcuts are missing in the shortcuts section

Hi - are you meaning some shortcuts,  or all shortcuts?  I have shortcuts,  but they are missing the few shortcuts I created on desktop that go to tags.  Since they're just saved searches I can save anything complicated in a note and copy/ paste into the search box if necessary.

• Level 5*

Are folks being switched over to the new beta automatically now?  I was on Firefox until recently so had an offer to 'update' the web experience,  but found out it was a Chrome Only.  I've been playing with the new web since I swopped to browsing with Vivaldi and Brave Dev (both Chrome based),  but I still mainly use the desktop version for more features.

Since there are still features missing it seems unfair to dump users there without warning...

On 10/14/2018 at 7:43 AM, gazumped said:

Hi.  How exactly are you wanting to do this?  

I enjoy hierarchical notes and tags.  I will frequently have something like my vw maintenance page nested like this: 'cars / blue van / blue van maint' where each of those is a notelink.  On the blue van note, I would have at the top 'cars / blue van' and a list of notelinks to pages below.  I estimate that for information I curate, I am 75% hierarchical and for random notes, I'm 75% tagged.

I would love to see a table of contents tool that automatically maintained this kind of parent / child linkage and the top-line navigation links.

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, laird said:

I would love to see a table of contents tool that automatically maintained this kind of parent / child linkage and the top-line navigation links.

Seems like that would be hard to automate - when I create a couple of notes,  as I just have - one for an interesting article about insurance (I have many talents) and another shortly after when I took pictures of the serial number stamp on a Kindle box that I found -by accident- and want to link to its original occupant (there are several kindle in our house!). 

The notes are totally NOT related,  but how does Evernote know whether or not to link them?  How would I tell the app to link the two if they were connected somehow?  I guess there could be a button or a key combination to 'link to previous note' - but then is this a child? A sibling? A parent?  Does Evernote then have to check to see what other links there are to notes in the same 'family' and create some sort of lookup table for itself or the user to navigate? 

And how much delay does this add to creating a new note?  My process today was:

> See article
> Clip article
> See box
> Take Picture

How many choices are required to add / decline links?  And my insurance article might relate to others in my database,  but until I read the thing fully and do some searches,  I probably wouldn't be able to link it meaningfully to others on the same subject...

Please understand,  this is not me saying this can't or won't be done - I'm just pointing out that it seems to me,  this isn't the sort of change that requires one coder and ten minutes!

I'd suggest you create a general feature request for your suggestion to see how many others might support it.  There's another one out there somewhere for linking in general, and a way to make the manual creation of links far simpler which you might like to vote for.  I think that's more likely to happen!

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Seems like that would be hard to automate

No doubt we can get into the weeds on how this might be done.  

My point is that I like to organize with hierarchies and tags and they represent different ways of curating information.  Evernote has a couple of different methods for organizing notes (notebooks, shortcuts, tags, and search) but nothing for hierarchical methods.  

It's been a while since I've written a data function like this but I recall it's as simple as storing the parent of a record in the record and writing a function that can be called to generate top-line chrome (for navigating up), child TOC (showing anything that calls this record a parent), and full page TOC.  

I will take your suggestion and compose a feature request.  What is the best place to make that request these days?

Regards,

Alan

• Level 5*
40 minutes ago, laird said:

My point is that I like to organize with hierarchies and tags and they represent different ways of curating information.  Evernote has a couple of different methods for organizing notes (notebooks, shortcuts, tags, and search) but nothing for hierarchical methods.  

The tag feature is a hierarchical organization with parent/child tag relationships.
I can access this data using an sql app on my Mac (DBBrowser)

I implemented a relational tag model with multiple parents.  The details are stored in a note.
I use scripting on a Mac (Applescript) to access this information.

Scripting also allows navigating the tag hierarchy.

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

The tag feature is a hierarchical organization with parent/child relationships.

I implemented a relational model with multiple parents.  The details are stored in a note.
I use scripting on a Mac (Applescript) to access this information.

Sorry about that.  I'm referring to the branching hierarchy which tends to be the most common type and each record would only have one parent.  Your use case sounds like an overlapping hierarchy.  There are many types of hierarchies and I should have been more specific.

Tags can express many different models and are not strongly opinionated so what you are talking about is a great use of tags.

I love Applescript as well but that would not apply in this thread about the new web experience.  

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, laird said:

There are many types of hierarchies and I should have been more specific.

I'm not clear on this.  Could you provide some actual data examples.

And you're right; we're out-of-topic for the web beta.  A new topic would be more appropriate.

Hi, 

Overall I approve of the new web format.

But I'll be leaving Evernote - the new web version has no 'Stacks'. Folder organisation in Evernote is extremely poor. You can't organise groups of folders with different names or colours like in Onenote. With stacks you could use one folder, but not create layers of folders for different categories.

This makes it extremely frustrating to organise your notes/folders in a simple manner. 

• Level 5*
On 10/23/2018 at 11:29 AM, a1140679 said:

But I'll be leaving Evernote - the new web version has no 'Stacks'.

I see my stacks in all versions of Evernote, including the new web beta (Windows/Chrome).

Folder organisation in Evernote is extremely poor. You can't organise groups of folders with different names or colours like in Onenote. With stacks you could use one folder, but not create layers of folders for different categories.

If you need arbitrarily nested notebooks, then Evernote has never been the tool for you. I use stacks somewhat to organize my relatively small number of notebooks on my two accounts, but tags are mainly how I organize notes. If OneNote works better for you, then you should use it.

This makes it extremely frustrating to organise your notes/folders in a simple manner. 

I don't find it frustrating at all. I use folders mainly for sharing between my accounts; tags generally fill the rest of my organizational needs. But tags are not for everyone...

• Level 5*
On 10/23/2018 at 8:29 AM, a1140679 said:

the new web version has no 'Stacks'.

The new version is a beta and incomplete.  
For the full featureset; revert to the standard web version
Even more features are supported on the Windows/Mac platforms.

>>Folder organisation in Evernote is extremely poor. ... This makes it extremely frustrating to organise your notes/folders in a simple manner. 

Folder organization is not supported in Evernote.
As per @jefito, I use the Tag feature for organization; it is very effective for organization and imho an improvement on the classic "Folders".
For those needing the Folder experience, Tags can be organized into an unlimited hierarchy1281313645_ScreenShot2018-10-17at13_48_04.png.dc54d8b591f9f81db3f5e1215aabe3ab.png.cb8e5f5f64395fa48af2e5f2c9d1c53c.png.62dcf928c37de6ffec62e797cc0ea756.png

Greatly disappointed with the Beta version. I have Notebooks shared with my wife's Evernote account, and after selecting to switch to the new version, all the Notebooks I share with her do not show up. Can't search for them, even with links I copied from the older version, in the new version they don't show up. When clicking on Share with Me in the new version there was just a welcome screen message of nothing being share yet. Thousands of important notes suddenly not being able to be accessed is very scary for us. Please fix this critical error. I have checked this using Chrome and Safari on an iMac, both displaying same problem. Many other Forum users have noted the same errors.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, EverBrook said:

Many other Forum users have noted the same errors.

Beta versions are just that: not necessarily meant for full-on productive use - and the announcement that started this thread says that there are features missing...  revert to the previous version in Settings and watch for developments!

FYI to Evernote - my quick two cents on the web beta. 

I generally like the beta better than the original version. Recently I started using the web version more because the Windows version runs too slowly on my five-year-old work computer. 

While I miss the quick notebook selection, the one show stopper for me is not having access to saved searches. I have about 30 saved searches, with about 5 that I use at least every other day. I hate switching back and forth between the old and new web versions to be able to do the searches, so I tend to stick with the old web version, even though visually I find the new version more amenable to focusing on my work.

I use evernote on several of my computers.  Synching across multiple platforms is a key feature of EN for me.

I am a long time premium user.  I was disappointed to find that apparently the latest version of Windows web interface no longer allows me to open already password protected  individual ers (home and work) and on my Android phone.  My synched database access from all is a critical feature of EN to me.  I have been able to encrypt a note on my home computers which run the installed EN app, and then open them as needed via the web interface.  Due to my employer's security protocal I cannot install the EN app on my work computers

Fortunately the new web interface at least lets  you load previous versions, which restore my ability to open the password protected files.  I supsect this  "previous version" feature will go away at some point

Opening password protected notes in the Windows web browser access is a make-or-break feature for me.  PLEASE reconsider new restriction (or fix the bug or overlooked feature if that is all it is)

Is there a way to increase the number of items displayed in the list of notes on the left side of the UI?

In the old UI, when deleting images and summaries (in case of me) I was able to display 14 notes.

In the new UI, only 7 notes will be displayed even though images are not displayed.image.thumb.png.d78e09d688575d78aa4eef40cfe64567.png