2023-10-04 outage

Go to solution Solved by Federico Simionato,

Thanks for the heads-up. Communication with customers is vital though, especially when things are on the blink.

We are many that have been reloading status.evernote.com just to be told "[ok] All systems are running smoothly" ...

• Like 9
1 minute ago, Grant837 said:

My Boy's company just finished a migration for a client... it was a long night for them... so some issues are not surprising in this case...

That's not the issue. The issue is them trying to keep it hush. They have so many means of communication besides a forum post that 99% of paying subscribers will never see.

• Like 4

I am CTO so I am well aware that updating status page is not immediate, you need to check if this an isolate incident or a major outrage, in this case it's the latter and as Twitter and Reddit users have been reporting this issue for more than 6 hours there is clearly a lack of communication that should no happen with such a big company.

Most users would not bother to check the forum but they might go to the status page and seeing nothing is wrong could indicate that something is wrong with their hardware and software.

• Like 4

The late notice and single forum post are not reassuring. Why did/does the status page say everything is running fine when they're not? Why did it take hours to even see a forum post?

Not a great look for EN.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ollie990 said:

I shouldn't have to spend 20 minutes of my day confirming that Evernote is having widespread outage problem. I know you're working on it but damn, send a notification or something

Also, why isn't status.evernote.com being updated with this issue? I cannot even log in to my Mac Evernote app, and the error message is "check your network connection and try again."

This is an outage and should be visible as such. I went to the trouble of reinstalling my software because I thought it was something on my end. 

• Like 1

Seriously Evernote! Please put up the issue on Social media and Pin the Post in Forum. This was so frustrating to me. Figuring out this chat thread took a long time.

Communication should have been done esp. considering that it is common to have service outages and more common to notify the userbase.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Federico Simionato said:

We are currently serving 50/60% of the incoming traffic, up from 0% 5 hours ago. Still making progress.

I'm sure you guys are scrambling to get it right.  I came to evernote because of an interview you did on the keep productive youtube channel.  I was impressed by your team and switched from apple notes to here.  One thing that would help me echo's what everyone is saying.  Some simple communication.  You have our emails...you can push notifications to us.  Just let us know when there is even a possibility for a disruption in service. It equips us, the users, with the ability to make the best decision on what to do with our work. 

• Like 2

I've used Evernote for what, 13 years? And this is the first serious outage I've encountered in real time. YMMV, but that's not a bad record of service. Yet – all it's hampering for me is web clipping. The problem seems related to (re)authentication. I'll gladly extend them some grace for this.

Thanks for the updates, @Federico Simionato.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Federico Simionato said:

Ja, Sie haben Recht, die Kommunikation muss beim nächsten Mal viel besser sein

Oh ja, Federico, nur ein kleines Banner oben auf der Homepage (nicht jeder benutzt X oder andere Social media Kanäle). Das geht schnell und wäre super hilfreich und transparent!

Benutze Evernote seit 2011, bis heute eigentlich eine ziemlich zuverlässige Sache. Weiter so!

Most functionalities should be back to normal, RTE & sync for sure. I need to double check login & authentication.

Looks that sync is worknig on my v.10 and Legacy not so perfect..

14 minutes ago, ecerulm said:

Definitely the https://status.evernote.com page needs to be updated as soon as you know there is outage 

The status page needs to be off Tumblr and either put somewhere in these forums or on the Evernote website. I don’t know whoever thought it was an intelligent decision to put it on Tumblr, but it looks unprofessional. It’s been there as long as I can remember and might even have always been there, but come on, anyone that knows Tumblr knows what it’s purpose is well was up until the last few years

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Everything seems to be up and running in PA, USA. 

I have also been part of EN for many years. This is my first major outage that I can remember. Mostly happy with the product.

Don't need to bash here. Hopefully EN will walk away with some learnings. I don't care what happened for the most part, but let's communicate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

On the bright side the offline feature of Evernote works really well... been working as normal all day.

Not exactly... it threw me out of my notes in the morning and got lost... but it was only about 3 lines... so no tragedy

7 minutes ago, Dave Schell said:

Not sure if this is related, knowing there was an outage and its fixed, but I still seem to be having issues with changing the name of a note. It reverts back to the original name after a couple of minutes. Any thoughts here?

It also happened to me after declaring that everything was OK now.
Make a new note and copy everything from the old one into it and delete the old one.. That helped me.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

A note on syncing during and after the outage: The outage happened during the night where I am, so I didn't know about it. But earlier this morning I was editing a note, and noticed that some text I'd added to it on a different device the night before was missing. A little apprehensively, I continued editing. After a time, the text appeared on the device I was using, along with my edits this morning. The important point is that despite the delay in syncing, and in fact some asynchronous editing, no duplicate note was created. The new sync/RTE system worked as advertised in what was evidently a highly stressed situation for the Evernote system, and I was able to work on and have all my work preserved and synced. So ... agreed, the breakdown maybe should have been anticipated, and absolutely should have been communicated much better. But in my case I discovered the surprising resiliency of the new syncing structure.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

If the emails didn’t work for a while, it will take time until the queue is processed. I waited for an email that I send today as well - it arrived an hour ago. Since several user accounts share an email server, it can be pretty individual when such a service is back to normal. If you are together with other users who send a lot of emails, the queue will be longer.

If it can wait, check tomorrow. If you still haven’t received them, contact support.

• Like 1

I'm having an issue with Web Clipper. When I highlight some text on a page that I want to clip, and right click it and select Evernote Web Clipper, the only option is "Login to Evernote" I do that, and it says it's successful, but the next clip attempt shows the same thing. I've did the "Login to Evernote" menu several times, each time successful, but still only get the "Login to Evernote" menu next time I try to clip. I'm on Windows 10, and using the Chrome browser. 

I was able to login to my Evernote web account with no issue. 

Edited by dwainem
Entered more info
  • Like 1
  • Level 5
11 minutes ago, dwainem said:

I'm having an issue with Web Clipper. When I highlight some text on a page that I want to clip, and right click it and select Evernote Web Clipper, the only option is "Login to Evernote" I do that, and it says it's successful, but the next clip attempt shows the same thing. I've did the "Login to Evernote" menu several times, each time successful, but still only get the "Login to Evernote" menu next time I try to clip. I'm on Windows 10, and using the Chrome browser. 

I was able to login to my Evernote web account with no issue. 

I tested and got the same result. After about the 3rd time of clicking Login to Evernote, though, it actually worked. However, the Web clipper plugin (in Edge on a Windows 10 laptop) is not working (click, no response).

EDIT: 2 minutes later, it's working fine. Maybe the last vestige of the earlier outage.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Federico Simionato said:

The only remaining issue seems to be on the authentication side.

If you're not logged in, I suggest you don't sign out until we fix it. But if you're signed out you are not locked out, it should be enough to try logging in again once or twice.

That seems to be my issue - I have tried several times but will try again tomorrow. No idea why the app logged me out, I was using it earlier, went to use it again and was asked to log in - which I can’t do. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get back in. 

28 minutes ago, Federico Simionato said:

If you're not logged in, I suggest you don't sign out until we fix it. But if you're signed out you are not locked out, it should be enough to try logging in again once or twice.

Husband just tried to log in and can't. Approximately 5 minutes ago and it's 12:05 PM Mountain Standard Time as I type this.

I experienced the outage when I started using EN at around 09:00 EST.  

For many of us, Evernote is where we keep our most critical data and information.  After all, what's the point if we can't rely on it?

Over the past several months, I've felt like EN is being run by amateurs.  The software is slow and laden with bugs, and now outages.

For a company that intends to offer a world-class product with back-end services, outages are unacceptable, and failure to communicate is inexcusable.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5

If you need to work with your data, make sure you are offline. The desktop client will then „go local“. I know the situation when EN is online, but very slow - it’s when I’m on a train.

It tries to stick with the server connection, even when it’s very slow. Similar to yesterday, when most of us probably were running on the alternate server. Then go offline, much faster working, and sync when the situation has returned to stable.

At least for the Mac a single app can be selectively taken offline by an app called TripMode.

I am still having issues with the web clipper on Safari after yesterday's outage. The icon is greyed out and nothing happens when I click it. 

I've tried to remove and reinstall both clipper and Evernote on my Mac. But it's still the same.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks!

Skrmbillede_-_5__okt__7_32_AM.png.b93a66836f2f2ff42fb2fd419fe96d0d.png

I am unable to login to the security settings page. The login on the evernote website itself shows an error and says try after some time. Is there still some maintenance work being carried out?

I have been receiving the following message but cant login to update: 

Ensuring the utmost security for your Evernote account is our top priority. To further strengthen the platform against cyber threats, we’re making an important update to our two-factor authentication method.

On October 20, we’ll stop supporting SMS two-factor authentication. Therefore, we kindly ask that you go to your Security settings page and follow the instructions to set up the Google Authenticator, or an equivalent TOTP authenticator app of your choice. If you don’t update your settings before October 20, two-factor authentication will be automatically deactivated for your account, and you will be asked to reset your password before your next login.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Bonjour,

je n'arrive toujours pas à me connecter sur mon ipad.... j'ai fait la mise à jour de l'appli....

je rentre mon mail et mon mot de passe (qui ne sont pas mas identifiants apple ou google), 

ça mouline et j'ai message suivant : "une erreur s'est produite lors de la connexion" rééssayez

comment je fais pour avoir evernote sur mon ipad ! avant le problème d'hier ça fonctionnait parfaitement !!!

merci d'avance, j'en ai besoin pour travailler ....

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Ak potrebujete pracovať so svojimi údajmi, uistite sa, že ste offline. Desktopový klient potom „prejde na lokálny“. Poznám situáciu, keď je EN online, ale veľmi pomaly - je to vtedy, keď som vo vlaku.

Snaží sa udržať pripojenie k serveru, aj keď je veľmi pomalé. Podobne ako včera, keď väčšina z nás pravdepodobne bežala na alternatívnom serveri. Potom prejdite do režimu offline, oveľa rýchlejšie pracujte a synchronizujte, keď sa situácia vráti do stabilnej polohy.

Aspoň pre Mac môže byť jedna aplikácia selektívne stiahnutá do režimu offline pomocou aplikácie s názvom TripMode.

How can I do this offline in Windows?

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
12 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

Federico, i hope your health is better now. 

Assuming that my issue is related - I still can't log on from a windows desktop, just getting the message "Unable to connect to Evernote. Please check your network connection and try again." Everything else seems fine and can access through a browser. Hope it's all sorted soon!

Evernote Web Clipper, i.e. one the absolutely basic features of Evernote, either is not working or it works with 10 minutes delay. I've checked every browser I have. It's not working in Edge, Chrome, Vivaldi, Opera - the icon shows "not logged in" status. I tried to log in (pressing the right mouse button you get a menu with this option) but to no avail. The dialogue windows pops up, it says "logged in" but nothing changes. The only browser in which I was able to save a page immediately was for some mysterious reason Firefox although the clipper icon still was showing "not logged in" status. In Edge the "save page" dialogue popped up about 10 minutes after I pressed the button.

And it's been 18 hours since the outage announcement. It preposterous. 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, JustinChapman said:

Web & IOS work for me fine. Won't log into the the Windows Desktop versions as below error, only happened since this outage.

image.png.3c7550af887926f2c8672d3555fe3a45.png

Try it 3-4 x ...  I had yesterday same problem, but after third trying I get in..

@Frederico Can we have a status of the outage ? Many of us have business who run and depend of your software. We need informations and status at regular base in order to take decisions and move on. The last status was 17h ago and it's way too long for a majority of us. Many thanks in advance. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Federico Simionato said:

This remains the current status.

We are aiming at solving the remaining issue today.

We will post a comprehensive article with all the details.

Dear Federico,

Thx for the update.

Just to be clear, the slow arrival of mailed in notes via e-mail and the problems with external apps (ifttt for example) are both related to the authentification issue?

• Evernote Expert

Scan into a local folder and then drag and rop into an Import Folder or direct into a note in Evernote locally.  That will keep you going while we await this authentication issue to be fixed.

Actually I always scan locally and then rename the result and drop into an Import Folder.

17 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Scan into a local folder and then drag and rop into an Import Folder or direct into a note in Evernote locally.  That will keep you going while we await this authentication issue to be fixed.

Actually I always scan locally and then rename the result and drop into an Import Folder.

I don't know who you are replying to but this wouldn't help me with web clipping.

Have been using web EverNote via WaterFox Classic for a while it no longer works it is forever stalled. While trying to clip anything on the iPhone takes x3or4 attempts if I am lucky.

Is this a temporary blip  or the new normal?

Grim

Regards,
Malcolm Rowe.

4 hours ago, loxly64 said:

Web clipper in Chrome is still not working. Any update on when this will be resolved?

I could not use Web Clipper earlier but it is now working normally after I installed and re-installed the Windows App.  I had some problems signing back in but it suddenly cleared and now working fine. 

37 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Good idea, but this doesn‘t work as my ScanSnap Cloud apps were set to scan to Evernote prior to this outage. Whenever I try to change the scan destination I get endless error messages and, as a result, cannot change the destination as the app is waiting for Evernote for an answer. I have tried this numerous times during the past hours. 

But thanks for the suggestion! 

2 hours ago, agsteele said:

You should be able to create a new profile. I certainly can.

If you are replying to me - I was talking about SnapScan Cloud, there are no profiles in that app. You can only create new accounts which does not help with 50+ scans in the app pipeline of an existing account. I however tried that as well with the result that I could not log in using the new account (on a new device as I was to scared trying this on my main iPhone and iPads). 

BUT - rejoice, it is working again. ScanSnap Cloud is uploading to Evernote again. I am incredibly relieved and scared at the same time. 

i still can't get access via the MAC desktop application ..  only on web interface which is brutally inefficient ..  anyone with ideas or can help.

10.63.3-mac-ddl-public (20231003171454)
Editor: v176.13.0
Service: v1.75.3

Running  MAC OS Sonoma

• Level 5

@Octavian when you are in ScanSnap Cloud, and the sync to the cloud service doesn’t work: Tap on the scan. An annotation window with the scan will open.

Tap on the sharing symbol bottom right. Select the format (I got pdf or jpeg). Then you get the standard sharing options, among them EN and other installed services. You can save the scan this way.

Actually when I tried, syncing with EN worked, and the scan ended up in a new note in my EN account. But I could have used the alternative sharing method in addition, or if it did not upload as an alternative.

2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

@Octavian when you are in ScanSnap Cloud, and the sync to the cloud service doesn’t work: Tap on the scan. An annotation window with the scan will open.

Tap on the sharing symbol bottom right. Select the format (I got pdf or jpeg). Then you get the standard sharing options, among them EN and other installed services. You can save the scan this way.

Actually when I tried, syncing with EN worked, and the scan ended up in a new note in my EN account. But I could have used the alternative sharing method in addition, or if it did not upload as an alternative.

Thanks, your workaround unfortunately is not feasible if you have a lot of scans in the cloud that still needed to be processed and it will work for a few documents, but if you use a document scanner to actually scan a lot of documents then that is another story. And that was the case here. I have been using SnapScan software (and later SnapScan Cloud) for 10+ years now. (And Evernote since 2008, though I am getting more and more open to alternatives now.)

But hey, it is working again!

• Level 5

A workaround is not a regular process, so what may not look feasible day by day can be feasible in an exceptional situation.

But basically I agree: There would have been no need to do anything, but wait for the situation to correct itself.

Sometimes there may a scan be stuck, and the paper already destroyed, when getting it moved is important. And that’s when you work around.

I posted here the analysis I promised about the outage. Hopefully it helps clarify.

https://evernote.com/blog/update-october-4-outage-a-big-migration-and-a-better-infrastructure/

Im not all that tech savvy but it sounds like a big step forwards was taken.  Looking forward to seeing what those future announcements are. 

31 minutes ago, Federico Simionato said:

I posted here the analysis I promised about the outage. Hopefully it helps clarify.

https://evernote.com/blog/update-october-4-outage-a-big-migration-and-a-better-infrastructure/

Thanks a lot for your and the efforts of your entire team and for your transparency. Over the last few months there was more progress than in all the years before, regarding performance and stability. 

Thank you!

• Like 3

@Federico Simionato  You do major updates in the middle of the week?      Seems haphazard sunny day outlook especially if you have businesses that leverage the tool.. 

I am paid individual subscriber and I still can't  get access to desktop version.  of which I have now uninstalled / reinstalled 3 times.   ..        I created a support ticket almost 8 hours ago and haven't heard a peep from anyone beside this forum.

I have been user/subscriber since 2009 .       

I appreciate the we screwed up ownership particularly around communication  but .. for me .. it is still not resolved. 

Thanks for all the details in the RFO. We appreciate your transparency. I may suggest some improvements for the futur and especially regarding your business customers (some of them trust you and use Evernote as central collaboration and communication hub.(like mine)):

- Send specific communication for business to alert that you will perform migration in advance.

- Try an efficient communication during the outage by providing an Estimate Time to Restore. The reduction of login attempts is a deliberate action from your side in order to preserve the infrastructure, you had some idea of ETTR. 

- As far as possible try to perform this kind of operation during week end.

This kind of professional communication cost effort and money so I may also suggest that you develop a specific offer for business who need more SLA, more support and communication. You can definitely make money from this and we will be more confident to use your software even more deeper on our core business. Trust = money

we all know that this could happen and we understand, we just need to be prepared and adapt ourselves to this kind of event. 

Thanks for your work.

• Like 1
On 10/4/2023 at 9:49 AM, Federico Simionato said:

We are currently serving 50/60% of the incoming traffic, up from 0% 5 hours ago. Still making progress.

Good to hear but I am not going on almost 2 full days of not being able to log in.

Federico, thank you for clarifying the incident.

Thank you also for offering us a new page of released versions

I hope you keep this page updated with the latest versions and that the same thing does not happen as with the old page that they stopped updating since May 17

Thanks for everything

5 hours ago, DMVDawg said:

Good to hear but I am not going on almost 2 full days of not being able to log in.

2 days? Count as a blessing... 

Some have seen Weeks, possibly months without being able to log in/ utilize EN at all. 

Yup. Still here. 

9 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

For major changes planned in advance like this, where there is a potential risk of service disruption, you simply need to send a mass email to all users about what is planned.

At what time and when it is planned and what might happen. And ask for patience.
For example, you'll avoid people trying to log in repeatedly afterwards when they know an outage is planned.

In addition, people can arrange work in advance. For example, if I know in advance that our web hosting company is going to be dealing with something and maintenance is scheduled, I simply won't schedule the site modifications for that day but will work on something else.

The most frustrating thing is just not knowing that where the problem is. And a lot of people unnecessarily reinstalling a nonsensical application for example. That's an enormous waste of time. If I instruct my colleagues to all start reinstalling the application, that will add up to several days of "man-hours" of unnecessary work..

https://status.evernote.com/ take advantage of the real vanishingly small percentage of people to find out what's going on....  Mail and all the social media and information channels are subtly more effective for informing people in advance, and https://status.evernote.com/ should only be used to send people to it so they can see the ongoing status of the outage there.

Think of it as feedback for the future.

I am now happy with the speedup of v.10 despite the outage (which also annoyed me tremendously and made problems for me during work) - this is the key for me and I thank you for this.

• Like 1

And I'll just add that a lot of people are complaining about the price increases. Of course, I would also like the price to be as low as possible... that's natural.

But for me, Evernote is one of the most used programs ever, and because of that it has a separate monitor on which it is on from morning till night. So I'll happily pay even more than the current price of the product after the price increase, but for that I need to feel "safe" and know that I can rely on Evernote. And the form of communication contributes a lot to that.

image.png

• Like 5
10 hours ago, ChristianJB said:

Thanks a lot for your and the efforts of your entire team and for your transparency. Over the last few months there was more progress than in all the years before, regarding performance and stability.

Completely agree, the very agile development process combined with transparent and continuous communication with the community is a real winner 👍👍👍

• Like 4