2023-10-04 outage

Go to solution Solved by Federico Simionato,

11 hours ago, ChristianJB said:

Thanks a lot for your and the efforts of your entire team and for your transparency. Over the last few months there was more progress than in all the years before, regarding performance and stability. 

Thank you!

Yes, thank you Federico and the team for your transparency and efforts! I am really enjoying the increases in speed in Evernote for Windows 10.63 and Evernote for Android 10.55! 

• Like 4
  • Administrator
6 hours ago, Mia said:

2 days? Count as a blessing... 

Some have seen Weeks, possibly months without being able to log in/ utilize EN at all. 

Yup. Still here. 

Can you give me more details in DM? Will look into this

(Same for those who can't login, although we see from data that this should almost never happen)

• Like 1

Hi all,

Since the outage, Tasks are not working

One task either recurring or not, when I try to check it, or change the date it reappears in the previous state 
So I cannot do anything with them, they remain in the existing state

Any thoughts?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

Can you give me more details in DM? Will look into this

(Same for those who can't login, although we see from data that this should almost never happen)

unfortunately i can't DM @Federico Simionato  i get the message you can't message him but i did message someone else direct . .thank you @gazumped for the testing. 

• Like 1

I am still having issues accessing any of my notes on the Evernote platform. I'm running it on a Windows-based laptop. I am unable to open any files and each folder shows that my old files are not there but the page says that the notebook stack as well as the notes are there. Can you advise?

12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

OK, this has taken us a step further.

Which OS ? Which client version ? Which plan - subscription or Free ?

Windows 

latest version - download directly from Evernote 

paid - professional 

• Level 5
55 minutes ago, Kfellow said:

I am still having issues accessing any of my notes on the Evernote platform. I'm running it on a Windows-based laptop. I am unable to open any files and each folder shows that my old files are not there but the page says that the notebook stack as well as the notes are there. Can you advise?

50 minutes ago, Kfellow said:

Windows 11 home

how do I check the client version?

Free subscription

To check the version, click on Help > About Evernote, or at bottom left "Need a little help?" > Release notes. The current version is 10.63.3. I haven't experienced what you're experiencing (on a Windows 10 laptop) but it sounds as if your local database may have become corrupted. There are a series of increasingly drastic steps to try. You could just reboot the laptop, if you haven't tried that yet. If that doesn't work, the local notes database can be deleted by clicking the gear icon at top left and then de-selecting "Keep a copy of my notes...." Again, I haven't tried this myself, but when you do that and then quit Evernote entirely (File > Quit Evernote -- not the X at the top right of the window), the local copy of your notes database should be deleted. When you restart Evernote, it will begin to download your notes, as needed for access, but gradually downloading the whole database (which will take some time depending on the size of the DB and your Internet connection). Hopefully this will restore functionality. (Be sure to go back to the gear and re-select "Keep a copy ..." to retain the database on your device.)

Hope that's some help. Next step would be a total uninstall (people in the forums recommend Revo Uninstaller as being more thorough than Windows uninstall).

27 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

To check the version, click on Help > About Evernote, or at bottom left "Need a little help?" > Release notes. The current version is 10.63.3. I haven't experienced what you're experiencing (on a Windows 10 laptop) but it sounds as if your local database may have become corrupted. There are a series of increasingly drastic steps to try. You could just reboot the laptop, if you haven't tried that yet. If that doesn't work, the local notes database can be deleted by clicking the gear icon at top left and then de-selecting "Keep a copy of my notes...." Again, I haven't tried this myself, but when you do that and then quit Evernote entirely (File > Quit Evernote -- not the X at the top right of the window), the local copy of your notes database should be deleted. When you restart Evernote, it will begin to download your notes, as needed for access, but gradually downloading the whole database (which will take some time depending on the size of the DB and your Internet connection). Hopefully this will restore functionality. (Be sure to go back to the gear and re-select "Keep a copy ..." to retain the database on your device.)

Hope that's some help. Next step would be a total uninstall (people in the forums recommend Revo Uninstaller as being more thorough than Windows uninstall).

I have the current version. I'll try the other steps. Thanks

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Federico Simionato said:

Try again now, for some reason I had a full inbox 🤦‍♂️

@Federico Simionato  can't send   my logs   web clipper the desktop .. because I guess I have sent. my 2 messages for the day .. 

by the way the support responded with  we had a server problem.  try again . 

4 hours ago, Babis1215 said:

Hi all,

Since the outage, Tasks are not working

One task either recurring or not, when I try to check it, or change the date it reappears in the previous state 
So I cannot do anything with them, they remain in the existing state

Any thoughts?

I have also problems with tasks: When updating/changing the task name, it later changes back to previous 🤥👎

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, coldwinds said:

Hello,

Legacy version is not syncing, or there is a login problem, the legacy on win7 is frozen when start.

Could you look into that?

Hi.  Legacy has been carrying a red "this app is outdated" flag for weeks now.  Evernote no longer provides any support.  You could try powering device off and on again,  but changes to Evernotes servers,  or to your own OS or browser may have stopped the service working.

On 10/4/2023 at 8:36 PM, Federico Simionato said:

The only remaining issue seems to be on the authentication side.

If you're not logged in, I suggest you don't sign out until we fix it. But if you're signed out you are not locked out, it should be enough to try logging in again once or twice.

This problem continues. Notetaking/productivity app you can't login. Any idea when there will be a solution?

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, janndk said:

This problem continues. Notetaking/productivity app you can't login. Any idea when there will be a solution?

Yet others can log in without issue.  Maybe contact Support?

21 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Yet others can log in without issue.  Maybe contact Support?

And many others that can't! 🤨 But anyway, let's give support some more work. Do you think I should raise 3 tickets as the problem appears in 3 platforms/apps? 🤔

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, janndk said:

And many others that can't! 🤨 But anyway, let's give support some more work. Do you think I should raise 3 tickets as the problem appears in 3 platforms/apps? 🤔

Is problem also in online browser version?

my problem seems to be  isolated with IP addresses.      the IP address that I was frustratingly trying over and over on the outage day, with multiple machines,  multiple browsers with the web clipper.      I have dedicated. VPN IP .   .   when I turn it off..   login works.   back on doesn't work.      For now just had to build a domain rule to bypass the vpn . 

I am suprised though .. you are keeping that ip on some blacklist ..    .....   @Federico Simionato       

For those asking is it your VPN provider they blocked..  the answer appears to be no.  I have another network .. with a dedicated VPN ip same provider and that works fine. I did have the login issue on that day , I just didnt hammer Evernote on the downtime day trying to log in . 

However,  and I suspect it is the way the Web Clipper is coded/structured...   it will not login .    

I hopeful to continue this resolution .. in the coming week.  

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, janndk said:

And many others that can't! 

By my count that's two,  so far. (Haven't gotten around to the other thread where this huge crisis is being trended yet).

As to Support - your ticket (just the one from each user will do fine) may be their first indication that something went wrong.  Also they can look into more tech stuff than most of us here can,  and it gets you into the queue for attention.  Plus if they get a couple of thousand tickets,  alarm bells will ring.

• Level 5*

So let's see...  how many of the following have you done?

• Powered your device off and on again
  • Contacted Evernote Support via https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?guest=true using the issue type "Account"
  • Checked that you have a direct connection to the internet (ie no VPN or business firewall) and that other applications are connecting correctly
  • Exited Evernote (if the app is running) and restarted it
  • basic uninstall - exit and uninstall the app,  download a new version:  then reinstall
  • clean uninstall  - use Revo Uninstaller or Appcleaner or similar,  download from https://evernote.com/download and try to log in again.  Your data will be rebuilt from the server.

Posting here isn't likely to get anything done in the near future apart from attracting comments from other users like me who have logged out an logged back in to my main Evernote account plus a test account without any obvious issues.

PS - If you are using Legacy,  you may want to download v10 for access;  if you're not a subscriber,  you may have exceeded your device limit.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, gazumped said:

So let's see...  how many of the following have you done?

• Powered your device off and on again
  • Contacted Evernote Support via https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?guest=true using the issue type "Account"
  • Checked that you have a direct connection to the internet (ie no VPN or business firewall) and that other applications are connecting correctly
  • Exited Evernote (if the app is running) and restarted it
  • basic uninstall - exit and uninstall the app,  download a new version:  then reinstall
  • clean uninstall  - use Revo Uninstaller or Appcleaner or similar,  download from https://evernote.com/download and try to log in again.  Your data will be rebuilt from the server.

Posting here isn't likely to get anything done in the near future apart from attracting comments from other users like me who have logged out an logged back in to my main Evernote account plus a test account without any obvious issues.

PS - If you are using Legacy,  you may want to download v10 for access;  if you're not a subscriber,  you may have exceeded your device limit.

I know posting here will not do nothing :) as sending support request will do nothing.

But in any way, i do like how you are always very EN protective, that is cool.

Also on other hand i am pretty tech savy, so tried:

- powering my device off on - heck, similar as i do with router from telco and not stupid notes app

- updated iOS to last version

- like i said my 5G works like charm, also wi fi :)

- unistalled installed app from app store

- i cannot exit EN as i cannot log in :)

- i could also try maybe indian holly dance to see if that helps..but it seams that note app that you need to use on the move is dead, kapput..good i am premium user, getting premium service 

29 分鐘前, gazumped說:

那麼讓我們看看...您完成了以下幾項?

• 關閉並再次開啟您的設備
  •  使用問題類型「帳戶」 透過https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?guest=true 聯絡 Evernote 支持
  • 檢查您是否可以直接連接到互聯網(即沒有 VPN 或企業防火牆)並且其他應用程式是否正確連接
  • 退出 Evernote(如果應用程式正在運行)並重新啟動
  • 基本卸載 - 退出並卸載應用程序,下載新版本:然後重新安裝
  • 乾淨卸載 - 使用 Revo Uninstaller 或 Appcleaner 或類似工具,從https://evernote.com/download下載並嘗試再次登入。您的資料將從伺服器重建。

除了吸引像我這樣的其他用戶的評論之外,在這裡發布不太可能在不久的將來完成任何事情,這些用戶已經註銷並重新登錄到我的主要 Evernote 帳戶以及一個沒有任何明顯問題的測試帳戶。

PS - 如果您使用的是 Legacy,您可能需要下載 v10 進行存取;如果您不是訂閱者,則可能超出了您的裝置限制。

Hi, thanks for providing the solution for me to try
But I've tried all the solutions you provided, but they don't work.
These are the solutions I used during the last big crash
Sending support to customer service is of no use. I have sent several messages but never solved the problem effectively.
Hopefully I'll fix it if I get some sleep 💤

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*

Still not seeing any other complaints here about failures to login...  (to be fair,  there was one,  but they had the password wrong).  If you are determined to ignore Support and have alreay tried all the obvious fixes,  I'll leave you to your righteous misery. 

(It's also helpful by the way to say in your initial post what you may have already tried to fix your situation,  because it saves us time repeating dumb advice that you're going to ignore anway...)

Do let us know if/ when you find a fix...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 小時前, f34xbcbdc說:

Still can't log in
This problem occurred when I logged in to evernote again
It is assumed that people who have not logged out will not be affected.

🤔😔

2023-10-08 23-52-30.mkv 4.49 MB · 3 downloads

I have encountered the same issue, and it seems that I need to first log in from the web interface and then remove the device I want to log in with. After that, I can simply log in by entering my username and password. This is a peculiar problem.

But I cannot log in using the Google method; I can only log in using my username and password.

• Like 2
On 10/8/2023 at 10:39 AM, gazumped said:

By my count that's two,  so far. (Haven't gotten around to the other thread where this huge crisis is being trended yet).

As to Support - your ticket (just the one from each user will do fine) may be their first indication that something went wrong.  Also they can look into more tech stuff than most of us here can,  and it gets you into the queue for attention.  Plus if they get a couple of thousand tickets,  alarm bells will ring.

Then you haven’t seen much of the social media talk. Reddit is full of complaints across several different boards, Twitter has a lot, and myself….i have not been able to log in for a week now. 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, DMVDawg said:

Then you haven’t seen much of the social media talk

Any good fixes coming up?  Unless Evernote gets reports direct it can't sort out whether there is an issue or not.  Given that most users still seem to be able to connect it will be hard to identify a cause...

5 hours ago, DMVDawg said:

i have not been able to log in for a week now. 

Have you contacted Support?  They're the ones who can look into this for you...

For the less technical here,  I listed out all the fixes / checks I could think of for when a login fails.  If anyone has any additions / changes please post 'em...

If you are unable to log in to your account

🔹Power device off and back on

🔹Check for direct access to the internet - cut out local firewalls or VPN

🔹Evernote  available? - https://status.evernote.com/ 

🔹Latest app version? - https://evernote.com/download 

🔹Not a subscriber? - Check device limit - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/218558068
     Device limit options are: revoke access (if possible) / wait out the month / subscribe

🔹Using Apple or Google login - try original Evernote user name /password

○ https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053487874-Sign-in-to-Evernote-with-Apple

○ https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/230436427 (Google) 

🔹Using 2FA? - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314238 

🔹Password correct? - https://www.evernote.com/ForgotPassword.action 

🔹Clear browser cache / try another browser / try another device / try web -vs- app

🔹Search for more help / contact Support - https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the update, Federico Simionato. It's good to hear that most functionalities, especially the Rich Text Editor (RTE) and synchronization, are back to normal after the October 4th outage. Double-checking login and authentication is a prudent step to ensure a smooth and secure user experience.

If you have any further updates or information about the status of Evernote services, please feel free to share. Users often appreciate timely and transparent communication during such situations. If you encounter any issues or have questions, don't hesitate to ask, and I'll do my best to assist.

On 10/4/2023 at 5:56 PM, Federico Simionato said:

Starting roughly 4 hours ago, Evernote has been either down for some people or experiencing degraded performance.
This is due to an important migration we were working on. We did not expect to see downtime for more than a couple of minutes, but we were wrong.

The team is on it, I will update this thread once everything is back to normal.

Apologies for the disruption.

EDIT: Everything is back to normality.

I posted here an analysis about the outage. Hopefully it helps clarify.

https://evernote.com/blog/update-october-4-outage-a-big-migration-and-a-better-infrastructure/

I have been a paid user for years and I am discovering these forums now and just read this update. 

Way to go on efficient communication, such information should be shared on more readily available and more accessible mediums rather then posting it on an obscure forum.

• Confused 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Yaserawan said:

rather then posting it on an obscure forum.

According to your profile,  you joined this 'obscure forum' 3 years ago and you are complaining about a post -and an incident- that happened 10 days ago.  Your other recent post here -

- suggests you are not very familiar with how things actually work. 

If you have queries we are happy to help if we can,  but please bear in mind we are just users here - any complaints should go to Evernote direct.  There's also a code of conduct for posting here.  https://discussion.evernote.com/guidelines/ 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, Zenobia Lewis said:

That may explain why my  Apr.-Oct. 2023 newest notes are ALL gone.

Nope,  not even close.  It was an outage that prevented access for a few hours,  but did not change anything already stored online.  Please give us your device/ OS/ Evernote version.

• Evernote Expert
18 minutes ago, MichelleRGR said:

it is not just one device. It is all different devices on our team of 7. I updated just this morning and it is still occuring

I'm not clear what is still occurring. Are you saying that you are still experiencing the system outage that is the subject of this thread? Or are you saying that you have data missing?

Have you raised a technical support request? That would seem to be the way forward.

• Evernote Expert

Then not related to the original issue in this thread. The Syncing temporarily paused issue had been seen from time to time. I saw it once after I updated to v10.64.3 I selected File, Quit and that resolved a couple of things and I haven't seen the Sync message since. Thankfully I've not lost data.

If you didn't say it was affecting seven people in your team I'd ask if you have tried a clean uninstall and then reinstall. I'd do that with Revo Uninstaller on Windows or Appcleaner on a Mac. They get rid of all the buggy old code and start afresh.

I'd strongly recommend that you open a support ticket and include the log files with the report.