Looking for Evernote Alternatives…. Suggestions? (CLARIFIED MY QUESTION)

Go to solution Solved by BonskY,

Just now, bakula said:

Several questions were asked.

You simply answered the ones you were capable of answering to the best of your abilities.

Bottom line. Unless one of you  responding in these comments is from bending spoons. Then you’re just speculating and don’t know anything specifically.  So your comments are as hallucinatory as AI can be in its answers. Secondly, since I’m the one who originally started the whole post for an alternative to Evernote, I must say, I find it fascinating how this. Has gone down such a fascinating rabbit hole of opinion and nothing to do with the original topic.

also, it’s an age thing. Consider most people who use Notion are age 17 to 34. (and that’s probably the average for all the newer apps out.) How many people in this discussion or even close to those ages? I bet not many. As people get older, they’re less likely to wanna change things. So they become more stubborn. Unwilling to try something different because they have to learn new things. And they get more befuddled and confused if you take them out of consistency and habit. I’m 58 years old. But I’m also ADHD. Which makes me much more willing to change and try something new when when the old has stopped working.  ADHD brain TAKES longer to mature, and I am perceived 10 years younger than I actually am in thought and action. And after 10+ years of using Evernote, at least I can see Evernote, not being what it used to be, and not changing in a good direction FOR ME. But you do you you . 
  • Like 2
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, BASboy said:

As people get older, they’re less likely to wanna change things. So they become more stubborn. Unwilling to try something different because they have to learn new things. And they get more befuddled and confused if you take them out of consistency and habit.

Careful. A guy in his 70s who just bought an all-electric car might be reading this and get confused.

• Haha 3
44 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Careful. A guy in his 70s who just bought an all-electric car might be reading this and get confused.

Remember… use the Unleaded pump. Not the leaded one. LOL (I hope you bought a Tesla or one that can charge on a Tesla Charger… most of the non Tesla Chargers are a mess at best) So are you hinting that you are ADD / ADHD? Hello my brother. 

• Haha 1
  • Level 5
47 minutes ago, BASboy said:

Remember… use the Unleaded pump. Not the leaded one. LOL (I hope you bought a Tesla or one that can charge on a Tesla Charger… most of the non Tesla Chargers are a mess at best) So are you hinting that you are ADD / ADHD? Hello my brother. 

Thanks for the tip! 😅 No, afraid I can't join you in that brotherhood. (Didn't get a Tesla for a variety of reasons, but did install a charger at home, and charged at non-Tesla stations a couple of times OK.) </thread drift>

• Like 1

After Evernote switched to a $150/year plan where previously free, I finally started looking around (after using it for 11 years... free). 

... while I might use Notion for other purposes (projects etc), I'm finding I like Microsoft OneNote for the reasons I liked Evernote.  It actually looks like the best parts of Evernote and Google Keep combined.  

While it hadn't been "cloud" quite as long as Evernote, the whole program is actually one of the oldest Notetaking programs and it has always been free. Also runs on any platform.

When I look at most competitor programs to Evernote, I actually can't confidently answer why they wouldn't start jacking up prices in the future the way Evernote has. Whereas with a company like Microsoft (not that I'm necessarily a fan), they have a larger business scheme that extends much outside of the notetaking app, where maybe the note app is just a gateway...

After a couple weeks, my feeling right nkw is that OneNote just acts completely in the way I imagine Evernote would, if it were improved...

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, StephenRStone said:

After Evernote switched to a $150/year plan where previously free, I finally started looking around (after using it for 11 years... free). 

Evernote has always had more expensive plans.  Like any enterprise that wants to stay in business it needs to be paid if users access it frequently or over a long period.  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, StephenRStone said:

... while I might use Notion for other purposes (projects etc), I'm finding I like Microsoft OneNote for the reasons I liked Evernote.  It actually looks like the best parts of Evernote and Google Keep combined.  

While it hadn't been "cloud" quite as long as Evernote, the whole program is actually one of the oldest Notetaking programs and it has always been free. Also runs on any platform.

When I look at most competitor programs to Evernote, I actually can't confidently answer why they wouldn't start jacking up prices in the future the way Evernote has. Whereas with a company like Microsoft (not that I'm necessarily a fan), they have a larger business scheme that extends much outside of the notetaking app, where maybe the note app is just a gateway...

After a couple weeks, my feeling right nkw is that OneNote just acts completely in the way I imagine Evernote would, if it were improved...

Well, you can keep chasing the Free if you want. But just because Microsoft is a huge organization. Doesn’t mean it’s the better plan. Sometimes the ones we have to pay a small amount of money to get the best uses is needed. Because you get what you pay for. So does this mean that if one note starts charging you’re gonna have to find another note program that is free? i’m leaving Evernote because it doesn’t meet my needs especially for the price at charges. But I am leaving for a note that is less expensive, but I am choosing the tear above Free, so I have better tools of bitter accessibility. She may want to rethink your free is me attitude.  Like buying clothing. The cheapest clothes fall apart the fastest, paying more for quality clothes that last for years and years and years is worth the expense. But that is a Mind attitude. You have to learn overtime, I guess. 

16 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks for the tip! 😅 No, afraid I can't join you in that brotherhood. (Didn't get a Tesla for a variety of reasons, but did install a charger at home, and charged at non-Tesla stations a couple of times OK.) </thread drift>

Glad you got a home charger. I live in an apartment complex that is older and does not work with the city to install a charger. So when I finally go all electric, I will have to be charging at other stations outside of the complex. Or move to a better building. Lol. And I would only consider a Tesla for one more year until all the newer cars that are coming out. Have the connector for Tesla charging stations. I too am not a huge fan of Tesla for various reasons. But it did start the reality of people using electric cars on the regular. As it gets wired across the country for electrical charging stations. In the meantime, it’s a race between do I get a hybrid or do I go all electric. But that depends upon how well my car holds up for the next year. And what’s available or do I just lease for the meantime, though it’s not cost-effective, it’s only a small three-year time. That I have to really worry about and think about what I really want to get.

• Like 1
On 12/27/2023 at 9:05 AM, StephenRStone said:

Wow, I had no idea that's how much they jacked it upto. 

Even if I loved it I wouldn't stay for that price & I was willing to pay for a year with another program, just nowhere near that amount.

• Level 5*
On 12/27/2023 at 3:05 PM, StephenRStone said:

After Evernote switched to a $150/year plan where previously free

There still is,  and always has been,  a free plan - just with increasingly tighter restrictions since many opportunistic (but unwise) users found ways to exploit that to run businesses over decades without paying a penny toward even the costs of online storage.

There also always have been paid-for plans - some historically only a fraction of the cost the service is now - which higher-usage 'free' users could have adopted had they wished to help the company maintain its services.  The low-cost plans were gradually shelved because the take-up didn't justify their continuance.

Evernote has been playing "golden goose" for a long time.  This year they woke up to the fact that someone was stealing all the golden eggs and stopped laying.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Users that took advantage of a plan that Evernote provided and encouraged were not opportunistic, exploitive, or ... stealing.  I did not enjoy subsidizing them for all those years but the blame is on Evernote.  I'm glad to finally see the course correction.  It was long overdue.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
7 hours ago, RapidFinancialSolutions said:
On 12/27/2023 at 10:05 AM, StephenRStone said:

Wow, I had no idea that's how much they jacked it upto. 

Even if I loved it I wouldn't stay for that price & I was willing to pay for a year with another program, just nowhere near that amount.

They didn't. Personal is currently $130 U.S. per year for new subscribers (https://evernote.com/compare-plans). Don't know where @StephenRStone got $150. Of course, that's still a huge jump over $0. But the features are now a huge jump too, and if you're using $2.50/week worth of features, they're gonna make you pay.

It should be pointed out that if $130 in one lump sum is too much, you can also pay monthly for $15. It adds up to more over the year, but $15/month might not feel as bad.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

you can also pay monthly for $15

...and if you're already  free user (I checked using my test account) you'll get offered up to a 40% discount off the first year.  So $9 (ish) a month.  Still a lot more than free,  but a handy safety belt if you need time to examine what's going to be your best option...

EDIT:  OK Caveat time - the 40% discount applies to annual payments which are now in the $77 range and the equivalent of $6.50/ month.  Monthly payments are still $14.99.

• Like 2

Take care everyone. I am going to remove notifications on these comments. As I am about to proverbially burn my ships after I come ashore on the beaches of Island Notion. So no need for me to have my focus pulled away. 

• Like 1
On 12/27/2023 at 10:33 AM, PinkElephant said:

We had some posts about ON in the last weeks. Not many share your enthusiasm. Most mentioned issues are the UI, and syncing issues. So good luck. 

I can agree on UI. The lack of proper tags (can be worked around). The ugly, ugly, UGLY hot magenta everywhere. 

However, as someone who's been continuously using Onenote since 2010 (for work) and syncing since sync became available, I would say it's a very stable / mature sync platform now. Perhaps Android version is still problematic, but Windows and iOS / Mac worked fine for me for years with multiple accounts and devices. I'd say they seem to have fixed their sync engine around 2017 or so.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 6:03 PM, PinkElephant said:

If I look at Obsidian prices, it is similar or even more expensive than EN Pro. No sync at all without a subscription, for example.

For a price level decision this is absurd. If the own use cases are better supported would be a different reason to switch - but subscription price doesn’t look like a saving, based on similar features.

Well, the thing ist that you can put the "Vault" with the Obsidian content e.g. to Dropbox or pCloud or any other cloud service you may trust, and then it is being synchronized without the need to pay the syn function in Obsidian. If you need to sync it to Android or iOS, there are countless sync apps to sync your cloud to local folders which can then be used for syncing the Obsidian vault.

The reason why I moved from Obsidian back to Evernote (yes, I have been there for more than one year or so ...) was that the plain text notes are filled with markdown signs and wikilinks like [[this is a link]] ,... yes, your data is yours but it is being modificated to a kind of propriarity, text full with special signs, bounded together by the markdown engine which is being used in Obsidian. They tell you, your data is yours but in fact you are just captured in another bubble.

cheers,

Peter

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I didn't read the whole thread ,but searched it for "Synology" and found no hits.

Synology Notes is a simple replacement for Evernotes.

Its not a cloud server, you have to own the NAS it runs on, with it's own pros and cons.

You can import evernote, and it has all the basic features of a note app (organization, formatting, syncing, apps)

Good luck.

• Level 5

Synology Note Station has some aspects that may be relevant, like hosting it yourself. If you know how to get at things stored at your network safely while you are not in your home network, fine. If not, better choose a cloud based solution.

Another thing I dislike about Synology Notes is the lock in. It imports ENEX, but it only exports in its own, proprietary NSX file format. You either accept that from now on your are a Note-Stationer, or you need to rely on external, unofficial projects to extract your data.

And of course you should already own a Synology NAS. If not, getting one just to run Note Station is sort of costly: When buying a Plus model plus some drives, you easily invest 700-900$/€. And the running cost per year will be close to what an EN personal subscription costs.

• Like 2
On 1/16/2024 at 12:58 PM, Komrade said:

I didn't read the whole thread ,but searched it for "Synology" and found no hits.

Synology Notes is a simple replacement for Evernotes.

Its not a cloud server, you have to own the NAS it runs on, with it's own pros and cons.

You can import evernote, and it has all the basic features of a note app (organization, formatting, syncing, apps)

Good luck.

I reached out to them over a year ago & based on my VA's notes, they ignored all of her questions just pushing links to her so we have no idea if they have what we need.

They didn't even know what a VA is & Their live chat ticket system is only for tech support so it was very difficult to get a human being.

3 times they refused to tell me whether they have the features. They are terrible.

Those are my notes.

• Like 1

If anyone is seriously interested in contributing to have a developer create a note taking app like the legacy version, please reach out to me. I don't need all the other features, I just need this for notes.

I don't have the budget to hire someone who will charge a lot, but if we pool our resources, this could solve this problem.

• Like 1

If you just need Evernote for notes and not all the other features, then maybe find another note-taking app that is already out there and built. There are literally scores of them. Paying a developer to custom build you something will cost you at least tens of thousands on the low end for something very bare bones and rudimentary that wouldn't be as good as what is already out there anyway.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

If you just need Evernote for notes and not all the other features, then maybe find another note-taking app that is already out there and built. There are literally scores of them. Paying a developer to custom build you something will cost you at least tens of thousands on the low end for something very bare bones and rudimentary that wouldn't be as good as what is already out there anyway.

If any of the ones on my list responded to emails, answered simple questions, had all of the features I need & the GUI was user friendly, I would have switched already.

Thanks

• Level 5*

You don’t want to pay for Evernote, but you are willing to fund a developer to try and come up with a legacy like app??  I’m not seeing the logic, but good luck on your quest.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

You don’t want to pay for Evernote, but you are willing to fund a developer to try and come up with a legacy like app??  I’m not seeing the logic, but good luck on your quest.

I never said I didn't want to pay for EVN. I have several reasons for not wanting to stay with them.

i only like EN because it can OCR pdf automatically and search within those PDFs. i guess i use EN like a drawer and really need the search function 

i dont know why notion or obsidian cant... mem.ai looks promising 

Dont mind paying. and i think its fair to pay for EN if you use it so much.. just that the product has no real roadmap from here, and the AI could had been a lot better.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, l0nEr said:

i only like EN because it can OCR pdf automatically and search within those PDFs. i guess i use EN like a drawer and really need the search function 

If you only use Evernote for basic note-taking,  then you're probably  better off with another simpler (and cheaper) product.  AI is not a magic wand - it needs lots of training input to get used to users' needs in general and your needs in particular.

• Like 1

I have been a premium member for several years, and have several thousand detailed notes on the platform. That said, the 30% price increase is horrible.  I will give EN one more year. But if it cannot deliver in the way of the promised new features, this will be the last year.  

Edited by Charles Houseworth
grammar
  • Like 2

yeah but i need to OCR and search in pdf function, which a lot of basic notetaking app doesnt have. Thats why i havent migrated to Obsidian. 

Understand AI is not magic, but the point of paying is for a solution. And i also get the privacy factors involved, so they probably cant exactly use user data to train their models. 

The AI powered search is pretty ***** for me. Example, i have 50+ notes tagged "Hong Kong Property". AI-Powered Search suggested me to search "Show me my notes tagged Hong Kong Property", and NOTHING came out. ZERO results. "No relevant notes were found. Try a different search term."

If you see the roadmap in the link, its mostly back-end improvements, which is good. i definitely feel more comfortable that security is improved. But this is basic, no?

And faster sync, really?? not entirely sure if thats a priority for many users. maybe they are targeting users with collaboration needs, business users and teams. Anyway, i dont have their client database, i have no idea 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 minutes ago, l0nEr said:

yeah but i need to OCR and search in pdf function, which a lot of basic notetaking app doesnt have. Thats why i havent migrated to Obsidian. 

There are several free mobile and desktop apps that offer these features without AI.

- Mobile - Adobe Scan / Microsoft Lens / CamScanner
- Desktop - FreeOCR / PDF2Go / Sejda PDF Desktop
- Online - Smallpdf / I Love PDF / OnlineOCR

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
19 hours ago, gazumped said:
20 hours ago, l0nEr said:

There are several free mobile and desktop apps that offer these features without AI.

- Mobile - Adobe Scan / Microsoft Lens / CamScanner
- Desktop - FreeOCR / PDF2Go / Sejda PDF Desktop
- Online - Smallpdf / I Love PDF / OnlineOCR

And note that none of them is usable on more than one platform. Hence Evernote.

Obsidian can do OCR, via two plug-ins (Omnisearch and Text Extractor). These let you extract the text to the note or clipboard, which EN has never let you do.

Obsidian doesn't handle searching pdf content, AFAIAA, though.

Edited by avevers
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, avevers said:

These let you extract the text to the note or clipboard, which EN has never let you do.

If you expect Evernote to do the OCR for you,  then the text layer is stored as a separate item and is not accessible for a user.  If you do your own OCR when scanning - and there's free software to do that for you too - you create a 'searchable' PDF file where it's possible to select and copy/ paste some or all of the text.  Or you could simply save PDFs to a disk folder and use one of those other free utilities I mentioned to batch OCR several files.

On 1/23/2024 at 10:13 PM, l0nEr said:

ya but they arent a storage for notes too right? 

if only notion and obsidian can search into pdf files...

Have you looked into Logseq? the base product blows the doors off obsidian.. (particularly for side-by-side PDF notetaking, and its actually open source. It hasn't been running as long so there's not as many plugins, but they have a mobile app that works well, and since its your own files, you can store in any 'cloud' folder. Any of these newtech apps are superior to onenote in every way; think Craft, Drafts, Tana, Athens... I find notion to be more of an input-the-data-and-there-it-is app than a notetaking app, personally.

Good luck with whatever you pick, if you don't pick EN. I was moving through all those other apps for years before returning to EN in 2023, and I'm SO glad to be back, right on time for all these upgrades!

On 1/24/2024 at 5:46 PM, PinkElephant said:

You want it all ? 

Stick with EN, subscribe.

Or go searching for a better solution yourself. We can only post here what we currently know.

relax, im a EN subscriber for like the past 5 years i think.

just exploring whats out there. always always, keeping a look out to improve the process. 

Agree that EN can search inside the PDF, thats like the best thing for me.. but might not be so applicable to other people. Mem.ai said some time ago they are looking at it, but didnt happen i think.

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, l0nEr said:

always always, keeping a look out to improve the process. 

Sensible - within reason.  There are about a hundred apps out there and I try new ones out from time to time just to see what's on offer - but my main interest is getting stuff done;  and if Evernote is still able to handle it I see no reason to switch away for some slinky new feature that I may - or probably will not - use.

See websites like https://noteapps.info or https://toolfinder.co (or even Wikipedia) for more...

• Level 5

Many marketing statements read „good“, we could go on citing them all.

We encourage everyone who wants to look for alternatives to check and try before committing. Being able to export is an important aspect. Markdown is not an universal format for export - it’s in general only imported by apps that use markdown themselves.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, fuchsfr said:

I am kicking the tires on Amplenote and Upnote.  I filtered thru a list of products and these two seem promising.

Upnote is very lightweight but has some of the hacking features of evernote i.e. saved search with tags and uncheck todo boxes.

Amplenote is very interesting but a heavyweight.  It's much more GTD like and documentation is endless.  There seems to be many ways to do what I have done in evernote, but it's a mind bending change.

Anyone else play with these and come to any conclusions?

I've never heard Amplenote. I'll have to check it out.

Upnote, my  notes say they couldn't tell my VA if they have the features I need & just sent a link, & then when I contacted them, they didn't understand anything I said, so when I asked for someone who speaks English, I never heard back.

So if I need help, I can't count on them & I know I'll get very stressed dealing with them.

Please LMK your decision or any experiences with the other one. 

Thanks

On 1/16/2024 at 5:59 AM, Der Eisgraue said:

Well, the thing ist that you can put the "Vault" with the Obsidian content e.g. to Dropbox or pCloud or any other cloud service you may trust, and then it is being synchronized without the need to pay the syn function in Obsidian. If you need to sync it to Android or iOS, there are countless sync apps to sync your cloud to local folders which can then be used for syncing the Obsidian vault.

The reason why I moved from Obsidian back to Evernote (yes, I have been there for more than one year or so ...) was that the plain text notes are filled with markdown signs and wikilinks like [[this is a link]] ,... yes, your data is yours but it is being modificated to a kind of propriarity, text full with special signs, bounded together by the markdown engine which is being used in Obsidian. They tell you, your data is yours but in fact you are just captured in another bubble.

cheers,

Peter

Good Morning - I am in the process of moving my stuff from Obsidian back to EN as well - I agree with the added junk getting in the way.   How did you move stuff back? I've resorted to cut and paste! I'd love to see a MD importer for Evernote :)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Robejazz said:

I'd love to see a MD importer for Evernote

Some apps like Typora can recognise MD and save it in other formats,  but that's on a note-by-note basis.  There are some online MD-RTF converters (I did a quick search) and I believe Word and LibreOffice can open MD files...

Apologies in advance for being a bit pedantic here...

Is Evernote's ENEX export a proprietary format in the strict sense of the word? I saw another comment just now that stated the same, but the definition of "proprietary file format" is: a file format of a company, organization, or individual that contains data that is ordered and stored according to a particular encoding-scheme, designed by the company or organization to be secret, such that the decoding and interpretation of this stored data is easily accomplished only with particular software or hardware that the company itself has developed

The Evernote ENEX export is just XML -- a format that was an open standard before markdown was born. It's neither secret, nor does it require software that Evernote has written to decode.

One reason why so many third party and other alternatives can import from an ENEX is because it's basically an open book.

I like markdown and it has it's place for so many things, but it is a bit more limited when it comes to richer types of note taking. (Which is by design. Markdown is intended to be simple and more easily read by a human whereas HTML and XML are more complex and a bit harder to read, but still possible.)

As long as Evernote continues to offer an XML (or other open standard) export, I feel comfortable that I can export and take my notes anywhere else if I need to migrate. Also -- the Evernote HTML export (with corresponding image and other file attachments) is a huge plus and nicety.

• Like 1

Markdown is not a single standard, most note-taking apps have their own dialect of it. Moreover, Markdown has very limited expressiveness, so it is often supplemented with HTML (which is part of the 'standard'). As a result, a full Markdown reader is more complicated than an ENEX XML or HTML reader alone because it has to support both MD and HTML.

edit:  here a few examples of mark down limitations solved by HTML:  Hacks | Markdown Guide

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Also -- the Evernote HTML export (with corresponding image and other file attachments) is a huge plus and nicety.

I just checked again this "huge plus and nicety": The old bug still prevails: links in those HTML files  to attachments (e.g. a PDF file) are *still not working* (one good use case for the -- pardon my sacrilege -- legacy version).

(And I know that I could write a 10 page code to fix it, and it is very easy and even fun, and totally worth the price increase.) 

amplenote looks really nice and cheaper. 

great idea. Especially since my company doesnt block amplenote and notion, but blocks evernote (weirdly)

• Level 5

Looking nice is nice, but hardly a qualifying for whatever you need it for. We advise anybody who wants to switch to narrow down the options based on use cases, and then test drive what’s left. Import, use, export. Nothing beats a little experience.

• Like 1

Amplenote commits a few cardinal sins in my book. I hate the way attachments are handled. When opening one a randomized AWS link is generated. They also hash the filename, which is awful. The worst part is for a short period of time that link to your file can be accessed from any machine with an internet connection as long as you have the exact very long URL. It's a really lazy way of handling attachments. In other words, you get what you pay for.

Also no notebooks! You better like using tags for everything.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

Amplenote commits a few cardinal sins in my book. I hate the way attachments are handled. When opening one a randomized AWS link is generated. They also hash the filename, which is awful. The worst part is for a short period of time that link to your file can be accessed from any machine with an internet connection as long as you have the exact very long URL. It's a really lazy way of handling attachments. In other words, you get what you pay for.

sigh

I can't stand these lazy companies that can NOT make notebooks & use these stupid tags.

I don't upload files. I pasted the odd SS into a note, but it's rare b/c then I can't see it zoomed in). The notebooks, on the other hand, are a MUST for me.

Thanks for that. 

On 2/1/2024 at 7:28 AM, fuchsfr said:

Yea that worries me too.  Small developer out of Vietnam.  Surprisingly good product, but size in these competitive market give me pause as well.  When the market was small and EN dominated there was really no decision to make.  Now the market is flooded and each has there own little spin on things.  So you need to accept a paradigm shift for this move.

Thanks for you input.  It's helpful.

You are most welcome. I didn't know he was from Vietnam.

Maybe the market is flooded for you, but for me there's NOTHING. Not one of them even comes close to the GUI & features I need like with EVN.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, RapidFinancialSolutions said:

I can't stand these lazy companies

Nothing lazy about it; it's just a design decision.

16 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

Amplenote commits a few cardinal sins in my book. I hate the way attachments are handled. When opening one a randomized AWS link is generated. They also hash the filename, which is awful.

Interesting and a little disappointing. I did a little digging into this following your comment. The hashing of the filename probably makes sense from their perspective, but the fact that they automatically rename our files with the hash is idiotic. This should be something that's handled transparently behind the scenes so that we users can keep our "friendly" file names.

As for the AWS link situation, it seems that images are handled differently compared to other files (e.g. pdf files).

The worst part is for a short period of time that link to your file can be accessed from any machine with an internet connection as long as you have the exact very long URL. It's a really lazy way of handling attachments. In other words, you get what you pay for.

My understanding is that image files can be access forever if you know the URL. Which is not overly concerning to me in terms of random discovery of the file (the size of the random range is so large that randomly coming across a file should be almost impossible and specifically finding one user's file even more unlikely.) However, if you ever need to share an image file with someone, that URL can be forwarded or even posted online somewhere and there are no access controls. That's potentially concerning.

For PDF and other attachments, my understanding is that there is a time-limited token so access to the file only lasts about 15 minutes or so, which seems reasonable, I think? Open to any other concerns with this approach.

Doesn't bother me (easy enough to designate some tags as your "notebooks"), but I realize not everyone will feel the same way.

40 minutes ago, Paul A. said:

For PDF and other attachments, my understanding is that there is a time-limited token so access to the file only lasts about 15 minutes or so, which seems reasonable, I think? Open to any other concerns with this approach.

It's time limited. I tested by saving the link and then completely deleting my Amplenote account. Post deletion the link stayed active for quite a while for a deleted account.

7 hours ago, fuchsfr said:

Yea for Legacy that was true.  But now I got 99 problems and EV is #1.

0image.thumb.png.f51b90b8723ff716c9a3fcbc47595dd5.png

I am building my list based on Use Case elements and I am not finding parity with Legacy.  Bear seem likely, but it just an iOS solution.

I also object to the cost increase that was I find overbearing.  If I was using a tone of space for uploads I might find it justifiable.  But I use very little space about 5 notes a month.  I upgrade for multi devices mostly, so lists where available any I was on any device I needed.  With my current use and use pattern I cannot even down grade now.  EV created a pricing structure that is holding me hostage for my past notes and simultaneously deprecating capabilities.

As a PM I am sure there are trying to open the market aperture, and willing to sacrifice a % of there older customer base.

What I find objectionable is that they are too short sighted to realize the generic use case that they DID support that was a fundamental agile principal, that they broke.

I've seen this before. Lack of vision and failure to to communicate their superior capabilities.

I also know that being bought by a new owner does not guarantee superior vision and road map.  Some times dumb people are in charge and they have neither.  They are putting out fires just trying to keep there jobs.

I have communicated to EV multiple way & multiple times since being Legacy.  They just don't respond.

I recommend to test Notesnook

I tested many apps - look here: 

1 minute ago, ferol said:

I recommend to test Notesnook

Notesnook is developed by a company in Pakistan. I have the same issue with using a product for my personal data with a company based in Vietnam. It's nothing against the product or the devs or the people, it's the government and their repressive laws and my data being subject to those laws.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Notesnook is developed by a company in Pakistan. I have the same issue with using a product for my personal data with a company based in Vietnam. It's nothing against the product or the devs or the people, it's the government and their repressive laws and my data being subject to those laws.

I just recommended it because I found the system interesting. Whether it is risky, buggy, etc. is for everyone to test for themselves. I'm sticking with Evernote :)

For me there is no better system...

• Like 1
Just now, ferol said:

I just recommended it because I found the system interesting. Whether it is risky, buggy, etc. is for everyone to test for themselves. I'm sticking with Evernote :)

For me there is no better system...

Same here. Also your data is protected by GDPR now which is a nice plus.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
7 hours ago, delawaredave said:

Leaving Evernote was worth it  just to get rid of this message every time you click external link.....

Notion working great

image.png.4e76368c9d0204b4875c031e08d0e9d2.png

I'm sticking with Evernote ... but yeah, you've got a point about that one.

• Like 1

after 23 years of evernote on paid plans from the very beginning, i'm sad to say that i'm in the process of moving my 4000+ notes somewhere else (to notion). i don't mind paying for what i use, but the latest price increase just doesn't match what i need any more. i don't use tasks, calendars, AI and some of the other shiny things evernote uses to justify the price increase. 

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, esotirescu said:

after 23 years of evernote on paid plans from the very beginning, i'm sad to say that i'm in the process of moving my 4000+ notes somewhere else (to notion). i don't mind paying for what i use, but the latest price increase just doesn't match what i need any more. i don't use tasks, calendars, AI and some of the other shiny things evernote uses to justify the price increase. 

Notion working great for me.  The multilevel pages in pages is awesome - toggle switch to collapse and expand.  Yes there's "warts" but I like it more.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, delawaredave said:

Notion working great for me.  The multilevel pages in pages is awesome - toggle switch to collapse and expand.  Yes there's "warts" but I like it more.

some of those "warts":

• the process of importing from evernote into notion is buggy, had to do it over several days
  • their web clipper is unpredictable and doesn't have all the options the evernote one  has
  • if you like seeing the number of your notes/pages in a notebook/database displayed automatically for you, you're out of luck
  • their search is less powerful than evernote's
  • Like 2
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

Shows the App % History over time and who to keep an eye on.

I follow Tiago,  so I saw the video when it came out a year (?) ago.  The stats are interesting,  but IMHO a little flawed since the surveys were likely on his own GTD user/ trainees and therefore a rather 'filtered' source - and a year or more ago (when were these surveys actually done?) none of the apps were where they are now. 

It's an interesting watch,  but as you've found with Amplenote,  it's not what an app can do - it's what it can do for you.  ;)

On 1/23/2024 at 7:26 PM, l0nEr said:

Understand AI is not magic, but the point of paying is for a solution. And i also get the privacy factors involved, so they probably cant exactly use user data to train their models. 

The AI powered search is pretty ***** for me. Example, i have 50+ notes tagged "Hong Kong Property". AI-Powered Search suggested me to search "Show me my notes tagged Hong Kong Property", and NOTHING came out. ZERO results. "No relevant notes were found. Try a different search term."

If you see the roadmap in the link, its mostly back-end improvements, which is good. i definitely feel more comfortable that security is improved. But this is basic, no?

And faster sync, really?? not entirely sure if thats a priority for many users. maybe they are targeting users with collaboration needs, business users and teams. Anyway, i dont have their client database, i have no idea 

I'm confused, the new AI search which means nothing to me b/c I can't STAND EVIL AI, is worse than the pretty good EVN previous search (no clue what it's called.)?

Thanks nuts.

As for security, no offense, but I love people who think that just b/c a company tells you your data is secure, that means they are telling the Truth LOL SMH

The HUGE corporations (even med. corporations) almost always lie about EVERYTHING. This is assuming they are all evil owned. You see, almost every company of any huge size worldwide is owned by 2-3 corporations. One that's public, & the other that's private so you don't know who is behind it.

Do you know how many times they lie about something being "Natural" when they put that label on your food?

Or that something contains orange juice when it has maybe 1-3% orange in it because that's ALL the mafia gov't requires for these evil corps to lie to us? Guess who supports the evil corps & has a revolving door. Your mafia gov't.

This has been a known fact for at least 25-50 years, but probably longer.

The AI is a WEAPON. It controls the ENTIRE WORLD now & IT decides if I can open up a bank account, NOT a Human. Humans no longer have ANY say in ANYTHING in this world (not that they ever did.)

While their AI may not be the HUGE AI I'm referring to (I don't know for sure either way), I wouldn't trust any company or person who worships our demise as a HUMAN SPECIES by applauding AI & I used to LOVE tech before I became a Truther, but I was asleep & had no idea what was going on back then.

Ever see the movie, "2001 Space Odysee?" That's called predictive programming. The one difference is, they make it seem like there's no evil humans (if you want to call them Human) behind the scenes telling the AI what to do. Like always, it's 75% Truth & the rest is a lie.

I have to check out the article screenshot I just saw about them putting robot LIFEGUARDS at a beach now.

If people can't see we are being replaced both by AI & robots by killing us & forcing us NOT to interact with Humans & that Humans no longer control what they can do for you at a company level, then they are NOT paying attention or are just ignoring the Truth.

I may not like most Humans (never did), but that doesn't mean I want to see the killing off of our ENTIRE SPECIES & to destroy all living things including animals, insects & Mother Earth herself. Oh, they are replacing EVERYTHING with GM, GMO & even more toxic food now. They have started to ramp up their destroying of the farmers. Do you know that? I can even show you evidence of how they want everyone to eventually eat INSECTS. 

If you are ok with that & everything else I've said, I have nothing more to say to you.

AI isn't a toy, it's a weapon. It doesn't help you in business, it makes you become addicted to it instead of being with Humans. It replaces EVERYTHING. Just remember this conversation months from now.

I just watched a video that woke me up (I sort of knew this before, but now it's worse) that young males no longer want to have relationships with females. They hate them now although I first heard of this back before the war started in about 2017/8. They want the se.x dolls & this stupid CHATBOT that acts like a woman that appeals to their EGO & insecurities. It even begs him not to delete her because she doesn't want to die.

I went to go read the comments thinking this was a joke, but it's not, most guys feel this way. This all started in Asia before I even became a Truther.

I have no problem with kinks, but when you replace a REAL WOMAN with a fake one, then I have a problem with that.

I won't go into the destruction of men & women relationships, other than to say it was ALL preplanned.

End of my teaching for today, thanks for listening if you weren't triggered.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, RapidFinancialSolutions said:

End of my teaching for today, thanks for listening

Sometimes it is best to keep the crazy inside.  It keeps 'em guessing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, RapidFinancialSolutions said:

I'm confused, the new AI search which means nothing to me b/c I can't STAND EVIL AI, is worse than the pretty good EVN previous search (no clue what it's called.)?

Thanks nuts.

As for security, no offense, but I love people who think that just b/c a company tells you your data is secure, that means they are telling the Truth LOL SMH

The HUGE corporations (even med. corporations) almost always lie about EVERYTHING. This is assuming they are all evil owned. You see, almost every company of any huge size worldwide is owned by 2-3 corporations. One that's public, & the other that's private so you don't know who is behind it.

Do you know how many times they lie about something being "Natural" when they put that label on your food?

Or that something contains orange juice when it has maybe 1-3% orange in it because that's ALL the mafia gov't requires for these evil corps to lie to us? Guess who supports the evil corps & has a revolving door. Your mafia gov't.

This has been a known fact for at least 25-50 years, but probably longer.

The AI is a WEAPON. It controls the ENTIRE WORLD now & IT decides if I can open up a bank account, NOT a Human. Humans no longer have ANY say in ANYTHING in this world (not that they ever did.)

While their AI may not be the HUGE AI I'm referring to (I don't know for sure either way), I wouldn't trust any company or person who worships our demise as a HUMAN SPECIES by applauding AI & I used to LOVE tech before I became a Truther, but I was asleep & had no idea what was going on back then.

Ever see the movie, "2001 Space Odysee?" That's called predictive programming. The one difference is, they make it seem like there's no evil humans (if you want to call them Human) behind the scenes telling the AI what to do. Like always, it's 75% Truth & the rest is a lie.

I have to check out the article screenshot I just saw about them putting robot LIFEGUARDS at a beach now.

If people can't see we are being replaced both by AI & robots by killing us & forcing us NOT to interact with Humans & that Humans no longer control what they can do for you at a company level, then they are NOT paying attention or are just ignoring the Truth.

I may not like most Humans (never did), but that doesn't mean I want to see the killing off of our ENTIRE SPECIES & to destroy all living things including animals, insects & Mother Earth herself. Oh, they are replacing EVERYTHING with GM, GMO & even more toxic food now. They have started to ramp up their destroying of the farmers. Do you know that? I can even show you evidence of how they want everyone to eventually eat INSECTS. 

If you are ok with that & everything else I've said, I have nothing more to say to you.

AI isn't a toy, it's a weapon. It doesn't help you in business, it makes you become addicted to it instead of being with Humans. It replaces EVERYTHING. Just remember this conversation months from now.

I just watched a video that woke me up (I sort of knew this before, but now it's worse) that young males no longer want to have relationships with females. They hate them now although I first heard of this back before the war started in about 2017/8. They want the se.x dolls & this stupid CHATBOT that acts like a woman that appeals to their EGO & insecurities. It even begs him not to delete her because she doesn't want to die.

I went to go read the comments thinking this was a joke, but it's not, most guys feel this way. This all started in Asia before I even became a Truther.

I have no problem with kinks, but when you replace a REAL WOMAN with a fake one, then I have a problem with that.

I won't go into the destruction of men & women relationships, other than to say it was ALL preplanned.

End of my teaching for today, thanks for listening if you weren't triggered.

I agree with you... Fortunately, we flat-earthers will save the globe before AI !!!

Banner-fusion-whale-earwax-and-flat-earth-wit_Jeffrey-Kaplan-1-450x338.jpg

I'm testing Notion quite intensively. And the further I go, the more I like it for certain things. But it's not a full replacement for Evernote. And thus, I'm seriously considering moving some activities to Notion. Mainly, I really like the ease of building structure - so maybe I'll use it as a cross between Mindmap and Evernote, for example to build the structure of a web page, various online courses I'm planning, etc.. 
This is what I miss in Evernote, that it is not possible to do such a structure.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

So getting back to the topic of Possible Evernote Replacements.

Obsidian is showing a lot of promise.  Also all data is stored locally ( love it or hate it) I run mirror raid so I'm fine with it.

I hit every requirement I was looking for, and the community seems pretty active building new capabilities.

My subscription runs out in June 2024, so let the migration begin.

Part 1 : taking my monthly repetitive tasks for a test drive in Obsidian.

I find Obsidian somehow very complicated... I've only tested it for a while, but somehow I'm not convinced by the solution

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, ferol said:

I'm testing Notion quite intensively. And the further I go, the more I like it for certain things. But it's not a full replacement for Evernote. And thus, I'm seriously considering moving some activities to Notion. Mainly, I really like the ease of building structure - so maybe I'll use it as a cross between Mindmap and Evernote, for example to build the structure of a web page, various online courses I'm planning, etc.. 
This is what I miss in Evernote, that it is not possible to do such a structure.

i'm also working on migrating to Notion. what aspects of Evernote do you find lacking in Notion so far (beside not having an offline mode)?

• Like 1
On 2/9/2024 at 12:51 PM, esotirescu said:

some of those "warts":

• the process of importing from evernote into notion is buggy, had to do it over several days
  • their web clipper is unpredictable and doesn't have all the options the evernote one  has
  • if you like seeing the number of your notes/pages in a notebook/database displayed automatically for you, you're out of luck
  • their search is less powerful than evernote's

after warts, i wanted to update with some of the "beauty spots" in notion that i found so far (haven't even played with one of its main features, the database, yet):

• ability to get a structure deeper than two levels (yes, i always wanted this ability)
  • I tested the AI (which is a paid feature) and it is very impressive at modifying text:
    • i can ask it to format text as reference and even tell it what kind of reference style it should be (eg i can tell it: "format as IEEE reference") and it does a great job
    • i can ask it to add diacritics to text in languages that use that.
      for example, if i type "...sans reflechir aux consequences, et voila le resultat" it's going to offer "...sans réfléchir aux conséquences, et voilà le résultat".
    • it does everything that EN AI Cleanup does (i can ask it: "beautify", or "reformat text") but i can apply it to any text selection, not only to the whole note
  • its "Turn into..." command is very useful, you select text or page and can tell it to turn it into all sort of things including toggle lists, pages etc
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, esotirescu said:

after warts, i wanted to update with some of the "beauty spots" in notion that i found so far (haven't even played with one of its main features, the database, yet):

• ability to get a structure deeper than two levels (yes, i always wanted this ability)
  • I tested the AI (which is a paid feature) and it is very impressive at modifying text:
    • i can ask it to format text as reference and even tell it what kind of reference style it should be (eg i can tell it: "format as IEEE reference") and it does a great job
    • i can ask it to add diacritics to text in languages that use that.
      for example, if i type "...sans reflechir aux consequences, et voila le resultat" it's going to offer "...sans réfléchir aux conséquences, et voilà le résultat".
    • it does everything that EN AI Cleanup does (i can ask it: "beautify", or "reformat text") but i can apply it to any text selection, not only to the whole note
  • its "Turn into..." command is very useful, you select text or page and can tell it to turn it into all sort of things including toggle lists, pages etc

If you want, I created special topic:  "Evernote vs. Notion"

We can discuss this possibility there specifically and not in these "complex" topics where the quantum of systems mentioned is chaotically

• Like 1
On 2/12/2024 at 5:54 PM, ferol said:

I find Obsidian somehow very complicated... I've only tested it for a while, but somehow I'm not convinced by the solution

Obsidian seem very powerful and highly customizable (especially when compared to current EN) but for me lacks productivity, and user interface usability, especially on mobile. For example it tends to hide button to create new ad-hoc note (zettelkasten) very deep behind several interface interactions. It has optional plugins to enable or disable specific features on all platforms, has multiple separate workspaces, but at the end linking between notes is done on file name level, not unique note ID (like in Evernote or Joplin).

Yet I still continue to use in parallel paid Evernote, paid Obsidian (pay for sync as app is free) and paid Joplin cloud replication (because I have two years of notes I created when I wanted to leave EN 2020-2022).

Compared to other options Obsidian is both very complicated and most flexible but with serious limitations resulting from approach to edit/create files.

On 2/12/2024 at 7:31 AM, s2sailor said:

Sometimes it is best to keep the crazy inside.  It keeps 'em guessing.

Who said I'm crazy?

Only a moron who doesn't know what's going on & believes EVERYTHING they are told & puts others down for speaking the Truth is crazy.

In fact, if we look back in History, what parts are true of course since almost everything we've been taught is a LIE, the outsiders/people who were attacked the most & harmed, tortued & even killed were the most intelligent.

Everyone else is just an insecure follower, can't think for themselves, full of FEAR & unwilling to look in the mirror, is VERY naïve, feels most comfortable being a slave & therefor thinks everyone else should be a slave too, doesn't care about FREEDOM AT ALL, & is VERY closed minded. 

But I know, it's hard with low IQ people, they need to hide from reality so they can feel "safe."

And I teach, that is my job. Whether you wish to learn is your choice. I can't make you into anything you don't already want to be. It ALL starts with you. 

It's my duty as a person who follow Natural Law to teach the world.

Just b/c you & most others wish to remain ignorant (ignore-ant) and ignore all of the evidence so you help the evils destroy HUMANITY, doesn't mean I'm crazy.

In fact.... the evils tell us exactly what they plan on doing. 

Just b/c you choose to ignore what they tell us they plan to do and are actually doing, or you applaud their evilness b/c you think it's "normal," doesn't make me crazy, it makes you crazy & against Humanity.

5 hours ago, fuchsfr said:

You can look at a note in edit mode or reader mode.  So that is a major shift from evernote.  Thankfully you can check off to do boxes in reader mode.

Live preview mode in Obsidian is the best of both words - your note appears in lovely read mode everywhere except the block you're actually editing, which appears in the (slightly less appealing) markdown mode.

9 hours ago, RapidFinancialSolutions said:

You believe in FE??? Because I don't. 

You know what they say about assumptions... 

I wish I could say what I want to say about zombies, but then you would get upset.

Didn't you get the sarcasm? ...read the science again and think hard - What are I  saving? The earth - a sphere  

• Level 5*

Dear Forum Users - whilst I enjoy witty banter as much as anyone,  may I remind you that too much name calling can - and usually will - result in posts being deleted.  Play nice please...

• Like 1
  • Level 5
40 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Dear Forum Users - whilst I enjoy witty banter as much as anyone,  may I remind you that too much name calling can - and usually will - result in posts being deleted.  Play nice please...

Thanks. You saved from writing a fairly pointed response.

• Haha 2

I'm leaving after 14 years, decided that notion.so will work for me. It's not the same, but it has most of the functions I'm after. 

Just before clicking on the final bit of cancelling my subscription I was suddenly offered 40% off though, so my advice for those of you who want to stay would be to go through with the cancellation until you get that offer too, $77.99 is a much more palatable price hike...
I fact if that had been the offer in the first place I wouldn't have spent the time migrating my notes and stayed for another year...

evernoteoffer.png

• Thanks 1

Have fun with my list....  😅

I've already stopped testing alternatives. 

Evernote clearly wins for my purposes, despite various things I like and would like, and things that have worked in the past and no longer work, or things that goof up...

many from this list I personaly tested during the last year

I enjoyed it and learned to make better use of Evernote itself... because those other systems gave me different uses and ideas.
So I don't consider it a waste of time :)

This is a development worth watching:

This is rather not for me...
(or untested)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, ferol said:

Evernote clearly wins for my purposes, despite various things I like and would like, and things that have worked in the past and no longer work, or things that goof up...

I enjoyed it and learned to make better use of Evernote itself... because those other systems gave me different uses and ideas.

(or untested)

I think that UpNote is especially worth following. It's not a Evernote replacement (in my case) yet, but it's very interesting to see how it develops. I bought a lifetime license some time ago.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, janndk said:

I think that UpNote is especially worth following. It's not a Evernote replacement (in my case) yet, but it's very interesting to see how it develops. I bought a lifetime license some time ago.

yes.. UpNote is in my This is a development worth watching ... 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, fuchsfr said:

Those who have been following me know I'm leaning to Obsidian.

It meets all my use cases, which are pretty unique. 

I have been migrating notebook by notebook to test capabilities and see how much garbage I collected.

I use the default plugin and then tried YARLE - Yet Another Rope Ladder from Evernote

It complicated, but has better options to customize the conversion.  I wanted to retain the original note creation date.

One observation I have made moving to Markdown.  There is a incredible amount of garbage in my notes.  I got links to social site, adds, ect.

Depending on your EN size, a audit of your current notes may not be a bad idea.

I did this last fall after 11 years... it took me about 3 days... but I reduced it by about a third...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 7:10 PM, ferol said:

(or untested)

Interesting, maybe I will reach the same conclusion. But still trying out alternatives..

• Like 1

So a week after I downgraded my EN to the free plan, I got an offer to renew at 60% off. Several weeks before I started looking for EN alternatives I had emailed their customer support expressing my dissatisfaction with the price increase and intention to discontinue the paid plan. I never heard back, but had they replied with this offer I probably would have taken them up on it. Now it's too late, I've already committed to Notion.

• Like 1
On 2/26/2024 at 8:24 PM, fuchsfr said:

… and then tried YARLE - Yet Another Rope Ladder from Evernote

It complicated, but has better options to customize the conversion.  I wanted to retain the original note creation date.

Did you manage to retain the creation date? How? I'd have to retain it, too.

Thanks.

One of the musts of adopting another app going from Evernote, having a lot of notes (15 years), is the ability do import (including tags) notes (in my case I have only one Notebook, I make all filtering with tags and saved searches). These are some I am considering that have that ability:

• Notion
  • Obsidian
  • Joplin
  • Amplenotes
  1. Has anyone tried it, would like to share the experience and give some tips? 
  2. Does anyone know how other apps like Capacities can import form EN? From what I see it is still in development

https://capacities.io/feedback/p/bulk-import-from-md-and-other-apps

BR

JPaz

I don't know if it was already referred but this site looks amazing for comparing not taking apps. Really fantastic. Filtering comparing etc.

https://noteapps.info/

Only eventual catch: developed by company related to Amplenote but they disclose it.

So many hours I took comparing aps in a table with AI help included that could have been avoided. 

My dimensions are very similar to them. Of course you don't get the experience of use only presence or absence of capacities.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Alternatives and Encrypted Blocks 

Hi all - 

Background: I have lots of encrypted blocks in Evernote, so at least for now I will remain a paid subscriber so I can retain access to that content. IOW My primary plan is to transition to EN Web and EN Windows version 10. 

That said, my experience and reading some of the issues reported here tell me I need to have an escape plan ready and set the stage for a quick getaway to some other alternative. I've narrowed down the candidates to Notion, Obsidian and Joplin

Question: Have any of you played / used any of these three and do any of them support encrypting or otherwise protecting sensitive data. 

TIA! If I leave EN I don't think I'll miss the software as much as I'll miss the community and how helpful you all have been over the year! 

Enjoy the journey! 

Well, Notion does not support client-side encryption.

My issue with EN isn't so much the cost, I'd just pay the increased tariff if it was right but I have a problem with uploading all of my unencrypted notes to the cloud.  So it's the removal of local notebooks that's the biggie.  I quite like the new UI.  I love the instant sync, but in truth I have no need for it.

I'm not a big user of note formatting capabilities, don't use columns or grids so they are not really on my requirements list.

I tried Obsidian for a few days but i don't find the UI very friendly.  Note titles are simply the name of the target file in the OS so you cannot have notes with duplicate names, so when I imported the ENEX to Obsidian it simply appended a number to all of the dupes.  I have notes with duplicate names where they are basically the same but for a different time period - and in Evernote I can see the created date in the note list.

There are not many of these scores of alternatives that are actually capable of showing the created date in the note list, with a thumbnail, and with PDF files already rendered when you click on the note.  I got excited by NotesNook for a little while because of the security but the notes list suffers from the same shortcomings.

I also wrote off Joplin a while ago because of this but on a re-visit and investigation of the plugins I've got an installation that has almost all of those features.  PDF attachments don't show as thumbnails but they are rendered in the note.  Images do appear as thumbnails and I have a configuration that shows the created date and the tags in the note list, similar to EN. However there remains a big omission which is that Joplin does not have a Shortcut panel. There is a plugin ('Favorites') which shows shortcuts to Notebooks and Tags but isn't fully implemented for Saved Searches. The developer says he can't implement it. You can save your Saved Searches to the panel, but it takes a single mouse-click on the named Saved Search, then Ctrl+V to requery the notes list. It's clumsy but I can live with it.

I've discovered some brilliant features that will really enhance my workflow.  I'm usually working across a range of notes at once.  The History plugin shows all the visited notes over as long a time period as you wish (grouped by date).  The Tabs plugin allows a note to be retained in a tab whilst you go off and visit others.  The Calendar plugin shows notes created or updated on any day.

The creation date can be amended quickly by keying 09032024, none of this nonsense where you have to type 08 then key the slash etc. etc.

My intention was/is to retain EN and use Joplin as a replacement for Local Notebooks.  The use case is slightly different, Joplin would be for desktop pc based financial stuff and EN would be mostly for stuff of peripheral interest and which I use on the move.  But I like Joplin so much I'm asking myself why don't I migrate to it full-time?

I set up the sync to test it. It has client side encryption which makes the deprecation of Local Notebooks issue go away. It works with Dropbox and OneNote, but it's not especially quick. Once the updated note is downloaded the client has do decrypt it again. I haven't tested out Joplin Cloud which they claim is faster. The rich text editor has some shortcomings, clearly identified by Joplin, but I think I can live with them. The web clipper works only if you have a Cloud subscription so I didn't test it. The iPhone app is clunky but usable. Saved Favorites are not duplicated to the other clients, unfortunately.

Incidentally Joplin did not make any complaint about my mis-formed Tags which Evernote is perfectly happy with but Obsidian demanded that they were renamed.

I like Joplin but I still like Evernote. My current thinking is that I'll be keeping Evernote and it will live side by side with Joplin on my desktop PC, I'll ditch the iPhone app and won't bother with sync, and Joplin will simply replace my Local Notebooks. So I'm not flouncing off just yet ...

FavoritesPanel.png

NotesPanel.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, jcnassoc said:

I've narrowed down the candidates to Notion, Obsidian and Joplin

Question: Have any of you played / used any of these three and do any of them support encrypting or otherwise protecting sensitive data. 

for Notion see here

As an alternative to Evernote, I'm surprised to see that few here talk about Nimbus Note (it seems it changed its name to Fuse Base). I used the service last year and it was basically a copy of Evernote because it was so similar. The structure was the same with tags and everything. It has an exclusive option to import directly from Evernote and the last time I used it the notes were imported perfectly. Nimbus is the most Evernote-like software I know.

His only problem I imagine is the price. Just like Evernote is doing now it limits the number of notes to 30 on the free plan.