Looking for Evernote Alternatives…. Suggestions? (CLARIFIED MY QUESTION)

Go to solution Solved by BonskY,

34 minutes ago, Cristiano478 said:

As an alternative to Evernote, I'm surprised to see that few here talk about Nimbus Note (it seems it changed its name to Fuse Base). I used the service last year and it was basically a copy of Evernote because it was so similar. The structure was the same with tags and everything. It has an exclusive option to import directly from Evernote and the last time I used it the notes were imported perfectly. Nimbus is the most Evernote-like software I know.

His only problem I imagine is the price. Just like Evernote is doing now it limits the number of notes to 30 on the free plan.

I have it in this table, but you are right... here in forum is not so talks about it

But my tests last year said it was similarly slow to evernote, if not even slower...

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s36/sh/92f753bc-f3dc-8aff-d3a6-2f52c41bcbde/5ZdlDSSpa6x9tfRulriUNBkFbrbnwVMyRUN8zRFNzLBSOTshunoljxYv_g

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Razmataz said:

And I could not find an acceptable export function in it. Looked to me as a system that locks you in. Perhaps that has changed.

nimbus note?

• Level 5

Just wanted to give a shout out / Thank You to all who provided some feedback re: Encryption on other note-taking apps. Much appreciated! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

I am going to see how well Joplin imports my ENs, but was surprised there are four ENEX Import options. Does anyone have a link to a YouTube or other resource that talks to importing large Evernote databases into Joplin? 

TIA

Please add a markdown feature for backlinking.  It would be so great to be able to create a link to a page that hubs everything related to a topic.  I know it can be done...but, not as easily as its done in Obsidian or Remnote.  I love almost every other thing about EN.  But this kind of ease would put EN back in the conversation after what seems to be a decline in popularity.  I have been loyal to EN and would like to keep it since it does so many things I really like.  But an easy backlinking feature in text would be really practical. 

Thanks

@jcnassocThere is a documented limitation that Joplin only implements 1000 files at a time. It is not clear if that is 1000 notes in a collection of ENEX files or 1000 notes or attachments in a collection of ENEX files. I think it is the latter, as each of those things has to get a UUID.

There is a Joplin plug-in that will strive to restore links between notes as more and more Evernote content comes in.   Seems to be pretty clever and about the best that can be done.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Museed said:

Please add a markdown feature for backlinking.  It would be so great to be able to create a link to a page that hubs everything related to a topic.  I know it can be done...but, not as easily as its done in Obsidian or Remnote.  I love almost every other thing about EN.  But this kind of ease would put EN back in the conversation after what seems to be a decline in popularity.  I have been loyal to EN and would like to keep it since it does so many things I really like.  But an easy backlinking feature in text would be really practical. 

Thanks

At present, links to other notes can be created by: clicking the blue + at top left; pressing Ctrl+Alt+K; and now (just added) by pressing / and then selecting Note link from the menu. That's as handy as I need, personally. I hope they will not start making us learn Markdown.

BTW, these are user to user forums. To address suggestions to Evernote directly: feedback@evernote.com.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
53 minutes ago, Dave Green said:

@jcnassocThere is a documented limitation that Joplin only implements 1000 files at a time. It is not clear if that is 1000 notes in a collection of ENEX files or 1000 notes or attachments in a collection of ENEX files. I think it is the latter, as each of those things has to get a UUID.

There is a Joplin plug-in that will strive to restore links between notes as more and more Evernote content comes in.   Seems to be pretty clever and about the best that can be done.

Hi Dave.

Thanks for the info... I actually ran out of disk space after importing two of my five ENEXs... Will try again later and see if that 1000 note limit makes this a no-go for me. 

Appreciate the help!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

At present, links to other notes can be created by: clicking the blue + at top left; pressing Ctrl+Alt+K; and now (just added) by pressing / and then selecting Note link from the menu. That's as handy as I need, personally. I hope they will not start making us learn Markdown.

BTW, these are user to user forums. To address suggestions to Evernote directly: feedback@evernote.com.

I suppose after the introduction of Collapsible secsions, linking to Headers could come up. In Notion this is done and nobody there needs to know mardown... In Obsidian it's more complicated via commands... Workflowy has it as simple as possible...

2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I hope they will not start making us learn Markdown.

I hope you aren't typing '#' to create a large header, '##' for a medium header, and '###' for a small header, or '---' for a horizontal line, etc... because... those are from markdown! And then they've already bamboozled you! 😃

Some markdown-based shortcuts are nice, but if there is just as easy a keyboard shortcut (like Ctrl+Alt+K for linking), that works great for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5
23 hours ago, Boot17 said:

I hope you aren't typing '#' to create a large header, '##' for a medium header, and '###' for a small header, or '---' for a horizontal line, etc... because... those are from markdown! And then they've already bamboozled you! 😃

Some markdown-based shortcuts are nice, but if there is just as easy a keyboard shortcut (like Ctrl+Alt+K for linking), that works great for me.

I stand bamboozled!

• Haha 1
On 3/10/2024 at 4:32 AM, Cristiano478 said:

As an alternative to Evernote, I'm surprised to see that few here talk about Nimbus Note (it seems it changed its name to Fuse Base). I used the service last year and it was basically a copy of Evernote because it was so similar. The structure was the same with tags and everything. It has an exclusive option to import directly from Evernote and the last time I used it the notes were imported perfectly. Nimbus is the most Evernote-like software I know.

His only problem I imagine is the price. Just like Evernote is doing now it limits the number of notes to 30 on the free plan.

I looked into Nimbus & they still don't have a way to import notebook & the notes under them & I don't see anywhere on the backend where it looks very similar to EVN.

I normally don't use it for anything but screenshots (their screen sharing video recording was terrible. I don't know if they fixed it, so I use ShareX for all of my screen recordings) & I even pay for the pro version & I love their tech support, but I'm not sure where you are seeing that it's just like EVN.

I thought they had notebooks, but you only mentioned tags. I'm not a tag person, I want notebooks/folders.

Thanks

On 3/10/2024 at 5:05 AM, ferol said:

I have it in this table, but you are right... here in forum is not so talks about it

But my tests last year said it was similarly slow to evernote, if not even slower...

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s36/sh/92f753bc-f3dc-8aff-d3a6-2f52c41bcbde/5ZdlDSSpa6x9tfRulriUNBkFbrbnwVMyRUN8zRFNzLBSOTshunoljxYv_g

Thanks for the list. There's some on there that I don't have on my list.

Why didn't you test any of the ones at the end? It's a fairly long list.

27 minutes ago, RapidFinancialSolutions said:

I looked into Nimbus & they still don't have a way to import notebook & the notes under them & I don't see anywhere on the backend where it looks very similar to EVN.

I normally don't use it for anything but screenshots (their screen sharing video recording was terrible. I don't know if they fixed it, so I use ShareX for all of my screen recordings) & I even pay for the pro version & I love their tech support, but I'm not sure where you are seeing that it's just like EVN.

I thought they had notebooks, but you only mentioned tags. I'm not a tag person, I want notebooks/folders.

Thanks

Nimbus seems to be restructuring, they are called FuseBase now. It looks more targeted at teams and businesses rather than individuals. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, mackid1993 said:

Nimbus seems to be restructuring, they are called FuseBase now. It looks more targeted at teams and businesses rather than individuals. 

Yeh, I don't care what companies change their name to. I'm totally against that. It's very confusing & 2 vendors I have used for YEARS both did that in the last 2-3 years & I question why.

I already got Nibuses' answer why, but it makes no sense.

When you have a customer base & branding for years (not months), you don't just switch it for no reason at all b/c you have personal feelings about the name (all of a sudden) so that no one can find you or remember your new domain, etc. SMH

That's not good biz IMO.

Now maybe here was a falling out between 2 partners & then it would make sense, but they didn't say that.

Their note software is for teams?

I'm actually looking (still) for a task management software that doesn't charge per user for my staffers & Think Tank partners. I have been using Wrike for a while, but there's constant reconnection issues & they only allow 200 tasks & I've been going over that lately. Plus it takes them 2 bloody weeks to respond back to my tickets & none of them understand how their own software works & I can never understand their English. All they do is throw links at me instead of JUST answering my simple question. sigh

6 hours ago, RapidFinancialSolutions said:

Thanks for the list. There's some on there that I don't have on my list.

Why didn't you test any of the ones at the end? It's a fairly long list.

I have tested almost all of them. Some didn't work. For example, TANA. And some didn't interest me at all by presentation and some sample videos, so I didn't even download them. But I had most of them installed. Some only for a few minutes because they were really incomparably weaker or different than Evernote. And I wanted a better replacement for Evernote. I didn't do it for the price, but for the functionality..

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

5 hours ago, RapidFinancialSolutions said:

Yeh, I don't care what companies change their name to. I'm totally against that. It's very confusing & 2 vendors I have used for YEARS both did that in the last 2-3 years & I question why.

I already got Nibuses' answer why, but it makes no sense.

When you have a customer base & branding for years (not months), you don't just switch it for no reason at all b/c you have personal feelings about the name (all of a sudden) so that no one can find you or remember your new domain, etc. SMH

That's not good biz IMO.

Now maybe here was a falling out between 2 partners & then it would make sense, but they didn't say that.

Their note software is for teams?

I'm actually looking (still) for a task management software that doesn't charge per user for my staffers & Think Tank partners. I have been using Wrike for a while, but there's constant reconnection issues & they only allow 200 tasks & I've been going over that lately. Plus it takes them 2 bloody weeks to respond back to my tickets & none of them understand how their own software works & I can never understand their English. All they do is throw links at me instead of JUST answering my simple question. sigh

I ruled out Wrike about 8 years ago... Bitrix24 was interesting... but in the end I put everything corporate together in the proven Evernote

On 2/26/2024 at 1:24 PM, fuchsfr said:

Those who have been following me know I'm leaning to Obsidian.

It meets all my use cases, which are pretty unique. 

I have been migrating notebook by notebook to test capabilities and see how much garbage I collected.

I use the default plugin and then tried YARLE - Yet Another Rope Ladder from Evernote

It complicated, but has better options to customize the conversion.  I wanted to retain the original note creation date.

One observation I have made moving to Markdown.  There is a incredible amount of garbage in my notes.  I got links to social site, adds, ect.

Depending on your EN size, a audit of your current notes may not be a bad idea.

Did EVN add a feature to the new version where it keeps the original date even if you edit it? In legacy it doesn't do it.

I can't move to them b/c I would never use markdown instead of a text editor. 

I'm glad you like it & thanks for the suggestions. I'm curious how many notebooks you have. 

I’ve been tearing my hair out looking for a suitable replacement that is cost effective. 

I’ve ended up with UpNote as it ticks mosts boxes and it’s only £30 for a lifetime license and it syncs well. 

im surprised there hasn’t been more mention of it on this chat?

I also tried obsidian (with iCloud), bear and Joplin. 

• Level 5

There are some threads about ON. But you need to be aware of which ON you are talking about: The installed client (sounds like in your case), the O365 subscription version, the cloud only version. They are not the same, and differ in their feature set.

4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There are some threads about ON. But you need to be aware of which ON you are talking about: The installed client (sounds like in your case), the O365 subscription version, the cloud only version. They are not the same, and differ in their feature set.

Sorry my bad. I actually made a typo or my phone did. I meant to say UpNote not OneNote. I’ve corrected my original post now. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, dav555 said:

Sorry my bad. I actually made a typo or my phone did. I meant to say UpNote not OneNote. I’ve corrected my original post now. 

I may have mentioned this before, but so many of these note taking software companies are either run by or only hire 3rd world people who can't understand English & that includes EVN & I just had a major issue with one of their staffers.

My notes say they didn't even understand what I asked them when I gave them a list of features & asked them what they don't have from my list. They wanted to know what issue I had with One Note.

If you don't care about that, you will be fine. For me people understanding me when I write to them is paramount.

I hope it works for you. 

4 hours ago, dav555 said:

I’ve ended up with UpNote as it ticks mosts boxes and it’s only £30 for a lifetime license and it syncs well. 
im surprised there hasn’t been more mention of it on this chat?

I noticed two issues that are serious of for me:

1. Upload limit of 20 MB per note ( I have many notes with attachments that exceed that limit)
  2. It is being developed in Vietnam (?) (that's not an issue per se, EN too is rumored to use offshore developers who barely speak English) by a very small team or just one person (?) (that raises a longevity question).

Your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

Your chart says no for complex search in V10. 

Just tried: todo:false AND tag:"Waiting to Record" and got the exprected results.

You can also ask this is the Ai search in natural language.

• Like 1
On 7/12/2023 at 7:00 PM, BASboy said:

JUST Updating the facts as so many responses have been not answering the question but being Defensive about my thinking of moving on from EN.

So I will state I do not take it lightly to be moving my whole system to another app. I Have been an EN User for well over 10 YRS and Paying PRO Prices to support them. I was a big fan of Phil's who started the company. And I was sticking with the company when he left and the internet was abuzz with 'EN Is Dying'.

SO, what seems to miss most responses is - My Current Notes now take 1+ minutes to open. I have written support and get tickets saying they will get back to me. BUT as of several weeks and several times contacting Evernote Support I keep not being answered and now all of Evernote Staff in the US appears to have been fire., I am beginning to suspect that Bending Spoons is run be a heartless AI with video projections of people. (People missed that this was Sarcasm... so let me now make it clearer #Sarcasm... there, now no misunderstandings, maybe)

So with No Support Response and my notes access problems getting worse, I am starting to look to alternatives that are close to Evernote. So far Nimubs Notes seems like a good Evernote Like Alternative. But open to other suggestions. Please list your app choices and the reason for your choice / maybe some of the functions the alternative app provides. Please DO NOT attack me because I am looking at other options. I realize there are Fanatics out there for so many things, including EN. So try to recognize that I am making this inquiry because I cannot get support and the app is not working properly. BUT if you choose to attack, then give actual FACTS with Links for why is so wrong with my choice and not just state Rumor or Speculation about Nimbus Notes if you Don't have Actual Experience with it. 

Please DO response if you have an actual alternative app suggestion and why. 

I figured there are others looking at possible alternatives and were still on the forums. SO I Thought I would ask Evenote Users that might have some two cents advice to give. 

NIMBUS NOTE PRODUCT OVERVIEW (Just listing some of what they do just like Evernote) 

• All-new note editor

• Groups, workspaces, folders, and subfolders

• Public links to share notes, documents, images, and videos

• Various collaboration features

• Document search and image recognition (OCR)

• Set colors to folders and notes

• Reminders

• Send emails to Nimbus Note

• Screenshot and screencast tools

• AND UNLIKE EVERNOTE... They let you do folders within folders within folders and let you color code the folders) 

EN support is terrible.

They do not want to really help.

I remember the case, when my new EN clients stopped initial sync in the middle with unclear message.

So about 1 month I was unable to use new clients.

Support wrote me idiotic answers and denied the bug.

I've spend about 10 hours of my own time and figured out the problematic note, which caused sync failure.

After I deleted it, EN started to work.

That note was created many years ago on android, and recent at that time windows EN versions failed to process it.

So EN support stole 10 hours of my life.

• Like 2

A couple of days ago I reinstalled Legacy on an old mac mini in order to export everything from Legacy.

Initial sync took a couple of hours (instead of like weeks for V10), I could select and tag ALL 22000 notes in one pass with an export marker tag and the export itself was blazingly fast (I exported notebook by notebook to have separate ENEX files). The marker tag for the export was added to all notes in order to later  know when they had been exported.

>>> What a joy to use Legacy compared to V10 <<<

I would recommend everyone who thinks of leaving V10 to export from Legacy before it stops working.

I test imported a large ENEX with 4000 files into EagleFiler and had only two minor issues with German umlauts (ä,ö,ü and ß)  not being handled properly for attachment filenames and tags. 

Contacted Michael Tsai (developer), received an answer within 2 hours and a pre-release patch within four (hear that, BS?).

Apart from that I didn't find ANY issues with the import, so tonight I will test again with the patched version. 

Once all my imports are done, I have a data 'clone' of everything I had in Legacy, along with a vastly superior tag handling (finder tags), perfect finder integration, folder and Spotlight support, 2-way-editing of files from within Eaglefiler or outside via standard MacOS. 

I can use one of my most important apps (LEAP.APP) on the EagleFiler folder structure and find, tag, edit, move and replace anything outside of EagleFiler, changes are then recognized by Eaglefiler.

I will use Eaglefiler as my future repository. 

For actual  work I will use 'Keep It.app', which even more resembles Legacy but has a wonderful tag management built in, along with thumbnails, 3-pane-desktop like Legacy, and similar features as Eaglefiler.

I intended to use V10 only for web clippings but the (broken) way it handles website clippings, images and attachments I will probably not even use it for that (standard Safari export to PDF works much better, used to be the other was round).

Just my 2 cts.

Can anyone recommend a Mac app that handles web clippings equally good or better than the older web clipper (which in turn handled web sites much better than the current one)? 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

No - I don’t remember any posting in the forum naming an equal or better web clipper.

yes, me neither. But maybe someone comes up with an app that is under the radar right now. 

I really don't like SnagIt but something in that direction might work as well. If I remember they did web clips as well...

OK, I'm officially out (at least in a couple of months).

image.jpeg.6779f56275e8f52f39768d6cdc26cf09.jpeg

Until then I have plenty of time to settle with my new app combo and see how this goes. If - what I really hope - V10 becomes more usable for me I can always resubscribe (I am sure there will be offers towards the end of my subscription).

But at least I cannot forget to cancel my membership.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Feitz said:

yes, me neither. But maybe someone comes up with an app that is under the radar right now. 

I really don't like SnagIt but something in that direction might work as well. If I remember they did web clips as well...

Most of the time I print to PDF now.  Sometimes I will use Awesome screenshot and its cropping/save to PDF capability.  FWIW. 

9 hours ago, MDA13 said:

EN support is terrible.

They do not want to really help.

I remember the case, when my new EN clients stopped initial sync in the middle with unclear message.

So about 1 month I was unable to use new clients.

Support wrote me idiotic answers and denied the bug.

I've spend about 10 hours of my own time and figured out the problematic note, which caused sync failure.

After I deleted it, EN started to work.

That note was created many years ago on android, and recent at that time windows EN versions failed to process it.

So EN support stole 10 hours of my life.

They have stolen numerous days & hours of my life over the years too.

I managed to get someone to respond to my ticket 1 1/2 weeks ago, then b/c they were a low IQ moron who couldn't tell me that it was NOT $89/month, but rather $18 (I'm not in the US & nowhere did it say it was another currency) I asked to speak to a manager.

After fighting with the gatekeeper 4 times & then finally threatening that if they do NOT get me a manager I will be posting all over the net, suddenly a supervisor appeared (fancy that).

That person at least had somewhat of a brain & acknowledged that wasn't the price.

I also had tried to purchase one month twice on 2 different computers & my card was declined twice.

It's been almost 3 days (in a few hours) & 3 emails later & I'm being IGNORED. 

Not only that, I'm out of unsyncs b/c I didn't realize that they now count evernote.com (I'm pretty sure they never counted it before) as one device, so now when I go to my desktop I won't be able to use it. 

Just TERRIBLE.

I recommend everyone review them on trust pilot.

While I don't trust Trust Pilot 100%, they are the pretty much the only site that has mainly real (not fake) reviews although I noticed that they now have this invite feature so any company who has a customer who they know will give them 5 stars (they may even bribe them) gets invited. I would ignore those ones & look for the ones who weren't invited.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.evernote.com

I see many already have reviewed them b/c they have 1.2 stars.

Months ago when I learned they were bought out about an evil AI company, I warned people about what was going to happen. Just b/c people don't know the TRUTH about what is going on & wants to ignore the Truth, doesn't mean it's not going on.

The same similar thing happened with Last Pass. I loved LP & have been using it since 2009. Log Me In bought them out about 6+ years ago & they ruined it & then jacked up the price from $12 to $36 & then the extension no longer worked or no longer had the features I relied upon for so many years. Many people jumped ship, but when I looked around there was nothing like it. Most just offer a p/w management option, nothing that does everything LP does. The one that came close also had terrible GUI.

I'm going to assume this will happen more & more UNTIL there are no more companies left & the evils own EVERY single company online & off. This just happened with T-mobile buying out Sprint. Now there's only what? 2 cell carriers left?

The only reason I wanted to pay a month even though I know my data will go to their AI & then the evils so they know exactly what I'm doing, I'm waiting for Zoho Notebook to clean some things up with their web & desktop version. They promise me it will be fixed by the end of this month.

https://go.zoho.com/rQ7

Zoho has pissed me off some, but their heart is in the right place, it just takes them forever to do the things. 

I have helped them a lot to tell them what's wrong & how to make their software better (free consultation) & I HOPE they fix all their bugs & change the GUI so it's way more like the EVN legacy version & it doesn't take me 3 clicks to do one thing whereas with EVN b/c they pinned a lot of their features, it only took one click. But it's the closest thing to EVN there is & it's free.

And even if you get the paid version it's so miniscule that they deserve it.

The more EVN users who move over & tell them how to make it (at least the GUI & to get rid of those stupid thumbnails or I told them to at least give us the choice of whether we want it or not) like EVN, the faster hopefully it will be done.

HTH

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, CalS said:

Most of the time I print to PDF now.  Sometimes I will use Awesome screenshot and its cropping/save to PDF capability.  FWIW. 

6 hours ago, Feitz said:

I don't use web clippers, but Nimbus has that feature. https://nimbusweb.me/#OurFreeSociety

I only use it for screenshots & love it & do pay for the year. They also respond so fast, that sometimes it's within 1 min. which scares me LOL 

But I'm usually emailing them at night time.

8 hours ago, Feitz said:

A couple of days ago I reinstalled Legacy on an old mac mini in order to export everything from Legacy.

Initial sync took a couple of hours (instead of like weeks for V10), I could select and tag ALL 22000 notes in one pass with an export marker tag and the export itself was blazingly fast (I exported notebook by notebook to have separate ENEX files). The marker tag for the export was added to all notes in order to later  know when they had been exported.

>>> What a joy to use Legacy compared to V10 <<<

I would recommend everyone who thinks of leaving V10 to export from Legacy before it stops working.

I test imported a large ENEX with 4000 files into EagleFiler and had only two minor issues with German umlauts (ä,ö,ü and ß)  not being handled properly for attachment filenames and tags. 

Contacted Michael Tsai (developer), received an answer within 2 hours and a pre-release patch within four (hear that, BS?).

Apart from that I didn't find ANY issues with the import, so tonight I will test again with the patched version. 

Once all my imports are done, I have a data 'clone' of everything I had in Legacy, along with a vastly superior tag handling (finder tags), perfect finder integration, folder and Spotlight support, 2-way-editing of files from within Eaglefiler or outside via standard MacOS. 

I can use one of my most important apps (LEAP.APP) on the EagleFiler folder structure and find, tag, edit, move and replace anything outside of EagleFiler, changes are then recognized by Eaglefiler.

I will use Eaglefiler as my future repository. 

For actual  work I will use 'Keep It.app', which even more resembles Legacy but has a wonderful tag management built in, along with thumbnails, 3-pane-desktop like Legacy, and similar features as Eaglefiler.

I intended to use V10 only for web clippings but the (broken) way it handles website clippings, images and attachments I will probably not even use it for that (standard Safari export to PDF works much better, used to be the other was round).

Just my 2 cts.

Can anyone recommend a Mac app that handles web clippings equally good or better than the older web clipper (which in turn handled web sites much better than the current one)? 

One of the suggestions to move to from EVN doesn't have an import from EVN. Does this EagleFiler convert the ENEX files into something that can be easily imported?

Thanks

6 hours ago, CalS said:

Awesome screenshot

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I normally use Shottr which is an easy-to-use utility but won't web clip like web clipper did.

5 hours ago, RapidFinancialSolutions said:

Does this EagleFiler convert the ENEX files into something that can be easily imported?

I am not sure I understand your question.

Both EagleFiler and Keep It import ENEX files flawlessly (at least in my experience) and convert notes to RTF and RTFD formats. Since they both store in a standard folder structure there is no need for further conversion, you can simply open the files from finder if you like.

Both apps have been around for a long time and both hsve a clean and uncluttered desktop where so far everything JUST WORKS which is really pleasant for a change.

Keep It has a very Legacy-like interface with a very good tag management right from the desktop.

Way better zhan the crippled tag functionality of V10 that I find hardly usable.

So far I am very hapoy with the switch.

For Sync Keep It relies on iCloud which is a bummer, EagleFilrr lets you store its base directory anywhere, if you need xattrs (e.g. finder tags) iCloud, Dropbox and Synology drive all support them, so vou can even self-host your files on your NAS.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Feitz said:

I am not sure I understand your question.

Both EagleFiler and Keep It import ENEX files flawlessly (at least in my experience) and convert notes to RTF and RTFD formats. Since they both store in a standard folder structure there is no need for further conversion, you can simply open the files from finder if you like.

Both apps have been around for a long time and both hsve a clean and uncluttered desktop where so far everything JUST WORKS which is really pleasant for a change.

Keep It has a very Legacy-like interface with a very good tag management right from the desktop.

Way better zhan the crippled tag functionality of V10 that I find hardly usable.

So far I am very hapoy with the switch.

For Sync Keep It relies on iCloud which is a bummer, EagleFilrr lets you store its base directory anywhere, if you need xattrs (e.g. finder tags) iCloud, Dropbox and Synology drive all support them, so vou can even self-host your files on your NAS.

Thanks, I'll have to get my website coder to dumb this down for me. 

Take care

I just heard back from the supervisor after 3 days of waiting.

I want everyone to know that Evernote is refusing to let me use my US credit card and my US address to pay for their service. They want to force me to use both an address & cc in the country I happen to be in.

I already know this ploy, because this started happening to me in 2022 when I wanted to pay freelancers using money transfer sites. Now it's almost impossible for me to find a way to pay freelancers which is another way to bring down the economy - NO flow of money or a FREE MARKET.

In 2023, I contacted every money transfer site that was given to me and they ALL they force you to have a toxic cell phone weapon instead of just verifying you (as has been done for the last 30 years) via email or a landline.

No one should EVER be forced to use a cell phone. If a person wants to harm themselves with one sure, that's their choice, but that's not what's happening here. Whether you believe me or not, in 2024 just try telling a company that you don't have a cell phone & see their reaction. 

My legal guy was shocked that when he went to see about opening a bank account (US), they told him he was going to have to use a cell phone otherwise he couldn't open a bank account. I had been telling him for years what's going on & he's finally starting to (sort of) wake up.

In 2023, I came to learn that the money transfer sites demanded that you be in the same country where your credit card & address is. I've used those types of sites before when I was outside the US & NEVER EVER had a problem paying freelancers & no, this has NOTHING to do with the lies being spread online that scams are up. And if they are up, it's only because they need to convince people who are NOT awake that there's always a boogeyman around every corner so you enslave yourself. The problem IS, we are ALL in this together, so if you capitulate to what they want you to do, that affects me & the rest of the world.

In 2022 I thought my World Remit & Remitely (MUST be the same company) accounts were auto closed down by the evil AI because of a scammer I was naively sending money to in the Philippines (she said she could get me a good price on plane tickets), but the following year I found out that it was because I was NOT PHYSICALLY IN THE US. 

I'm still trying to figure out what the evils are upto with this chess move and now it's clear this will be the tip of the iceberg. My first assumption which is probably correct, is that they want to track everyone (we already know this is what they are already doing hence the cell phone & the DIGITAL ID), but this doesn't really make 100% sense to me, so I'll have to ponder more.

If you are a digital nomad or someone who lives in different countries at certain times of the year or even travels for business or just on vacation, good luck with all of this. It's really no different then them locking EVERYONE in the countries they happened to be standing in when the scamdemic broke.

I told EVN I'm leaving & will let everyone know what they are doing.

Like I said, an evil corp.

Here are the results of some "hours" of reviewing note taking apps (free versions), with dimensions and scores. It is a work doc

Notion & sons

EDU
FREE 4 now
Price:9/month Edu waiting list discount
Price
sync:8/month
pub:8/month
Ontology
Entities
Database-Page-Subpage (Docs, Wikis, Projects)-Blocks
Filters: 
Collection-Set (similar objects)-Object-Block
Filters: Tag
Database-Collection-Object-Block
Filters: Tag (are objects)
Vault-Note
Features
A workhorse; needs previous structuration
Project manager
Page history 7 30 days
+ sync shared blocks, + links to notes and auto back links
Sleek Notion, with graph view and more structure
open philosophy;
enhanced security;
Tipo Obsidian e Notion

Similar to AnyType
Works with objects
A comment said is like object oriented programming

Planned
Gcal integration PAGO 
Nested tags
Real task management
A geekish swiss pocket knife
addins
save notes as files in computer
New/indevelopment
New better editor has not only markdown easy edit tables etc but limited still
Imp/Exp/Backups
Imp from EN;

Imp EN
export
problematic backup and recovery
IMPORT HTML
maybe
EXPORT mark down
NOt yet
Imp EN
export limited

Free(mium) lims

free 4 individuals
lim de 5MB per file upload
Notion Plus = Edu: no file imits
FREE 4 now
lim de 10GB backup
core is free
lim de 5MB upload
PAID: AI e task management, smart queries; block linking

free
sync entre devices e publishing pago

Appearance
Interface & usability (speed etc); open notes # windows
editable transclusion
SLOW??
open 2nd window
config side bar widgets
no transclusion nor editable 
block transclusion paid
open 2nd window
transclusion no editable transclusion
Formating & Content upld
collapsible topics, auto correct;
TOC
no footnotes
no text alignment
foldable lists
columns
Prob copy and paste não conserva formatting?
no TOC
no footnotes
text alignment
foldable headers
columns
no TOC
no footnotes
no text alignment
foldable lists
columns
no underline
no video embed
no tables (paid)

TOC
footnotes
text alignment
foldable lists and headers
no columns PLUGIN MD?
no colored text
no diagram view
no kanban
mark down formating
OrgSearch & Nav
TAGS filtering
not easy get global tags
no saved searches?
no inline tags
Tags; NO nested tags
no inline tags
Tags full note e parcial (tags are objects)
NO nested tags 
no side panel tags collapsible 
no inline tags
Tags; nested tags
inline #tags
No all tags menu? (source: EN move to Obs)
Integrations
GCal
Notion calendar ex-Cron calendar integra gcalendar 
pago 

poucas e pagas as task management
no GCal integ PLUGIN
Platforms
sync;
work offline
WinApp offline work limited 
android app
No web version
WinApp
offline work
Android app

WinApp
Android app paga
No web version
offline work
sync entre devices pago
Android app
wait, Obsidian has documentation to show you how to sync for free)
Task/project manag
GCal conection <>
GCal integ PAID
Global Task view
task management PAID (send tasks to GTasks) PLUGIN
PLUGIN
Sharing
Colab
Publish
limit free 2 blocks 
Colab
Pub
No colab
No pub
No colab
Pub
No colab
Paid pub
Web clipper
(posso fazer a mao)
YES
not good but  alt Save to Notion saves the day.
NO
NO
planned
NO
Graph view/ editing relations
canva view

NO
YES
Local graph filter connect to note
Graph view filters more limited
YES

filter by tags
Free version
EDU
FREE 4 now
Price:9/month Edu waiting list discount
Price
sync:8/month
pub:8/month
Eval (20)

Now the Evernote family

Evernote & sons (and other)
Free versions
Amplenote
Price: 6/month
Evernote new version
Price: 9/month
Afinne

Onenote
WorkFlowy

Price: 5/month
Aval (20)
Ontology
Entities
Notes-blocks
Tags
Filters: Tag, Saved Searches
Notebook-Note
Filters: Tag, 
Saved Searches
Notebook-Note
Saved Searches
Mems
Inflows
Outflow
Collections-Page-Blocks
Notebook-Section-Page-Note
Tags
Section-Bullets (notes)
Features
Jots, Notes, ToDos
better than Legacy (or not?)
most = EN
different
7 days version history

Miro + Notion baby
a bit raw
still physical notebook influence
collapsible lists on steroids
Imp/Exp/Backups
Imp from EN;

Imp EN
export MD zip

import
export
Imp EN
export html
Imp EN
no export
IMPORT HTML and Notion
Export?
Imp EN
No imp EN
export MD

Free(mium) lims

No graph view
No external calendars sync
No pub of pages
No TOC

(criei notas para futuro)
60 MB monthly uploads
25 MB max. note size
open source free
login Google only
no AI
limit 25MB upload
5GB of Cloud Storage
10MB of maximum file size

Lims 10 G
no limits
500 items/month
Appearance
Interface & usability (speed etc); open notes # windows
no editable transclusion
SLOW
no editable transclusion
no open multiple notes 
no transclusion nor editable

can't open notes in a separate Window
editable transclusion
Formating & Content upld
collapsible topics, auto correct;
no columns
TOC paid
foldable topics
no kanban
no diagram insert
Footnotes pop up

no columns
no TOC
foldable headers
no diagram insert
no kanban
audio notes
pdf searchable
no columns
TOC
no foldable
mark down
limited WYSIWYG
hot spot 
diagram view
kanban
no columns
no TOC
no collapsible hd
no highlighting
no colored text
no tables
no vid embed
no kanban
no diagram insert
no columns
no TOC
no collapsible headers
no TOC (addin)
no columns
foldable headers
no columns
no TOC
foldable headers
no tables
no horiz line
no diagram insert
kanban

OrgSearch & Nav
TAGS filtering

Tags; nested tags; saved searches
no inline tags 
Tags; nested tags; saved searches
no inline tags
Tags; NO nested tags
Tags; NO nested tags
Tags; NO nested tags
tags; partial tags
inline tags 
prob sharing tags
no global tag view
no nested tags
tags; inline tags
Integrations
GCal

No zapier integ only iftt
No external calendars sync GCal PAGO
GCal integ pago
integra gcalendar 

via zapier
no GCal integ

Platforms
sync;
work offline

works offline even PWA
android app
WinApp paid
only 2 devices
offline access
No web version
WinApp with offline access
android app
no android app
WinApp
no android app
android app
android app
Task/project manag

free tasks in-note
due dates, reminders, and notifications PAID
Sharing
Colab
Publish
Colab
Paid pub
Colab
Pub
Joplin cloud para colab paid  mas pode usar outros backup and sync app
Pub
Colab
Pub
No colab
Paid pub
Colab
Pub
Colab
Pub
Web clipper
(posso fazer a mao)
YES
(não vou conseguir criar notas) só se fizer com outra conta e copiar para blank note
YES
YES
Graph view/ editing relations
canva view

(ref Miro, Mindomo)
permite editar rels em graph; filter by tags
PAID

NO
NO
NO
YES
canva view
tenho de por blocks dentro de shapes para setas colarem
NO
limited canva
NO

1 hour ago, jpaz said:

And my decision for now: Keeping with Evernote new version for daily work (but still considering alternatives)...

My decision: Evernote Profesional + Obsidian (free own sync on PC) combination..

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ferol said:

My decision: Evernote Profesional + Obsidian (free own sync on PC) combination..

😉 yes, I am also thinking of exploring combinations with EN.

5 minutes ago, jpaz said:

😉 yes, I am also thinking of exploring combinations with EN.

Some of my observations on your Obsidian table

Why export limited?  with plugin is possible: dakdown, html, pdf, docx....

Kanban - there is 2 plugins for this

Colored text - plugin (but html inside text... but I chose not to use it. I only set the colored text for the headers)

mark down formating - is largely reduced by blocking this in css snippets. I use it largely as wysiwing...

tags organisation - with some plugins almost like in Evernote

sharing - possible free own website pulbishing (it's not as fast as evernote share online one note, but it can be worked out)

6 minutes ago, ferol said:

Some of my observations on your Obsidian table

Why export limited?  with plugin is possible: dakdown, html, pdf, docx....

Kanban - there is 2 plugins for this

Colored text - plugin (but html inside text... but I chose not to use it. I only set the colored text for the headers)

mark down formating - is largely reduced by blocking this in css snippets. I use it largely as wysiwing...

tags organisation - with some plugins almost like in Evernote

sharing - possible free own website pulbishing (it's not as fast as evernote share online one note, but it can be worked out)

@ferol Great, I had references to plugins but they were not reflected on the rating. Taking plugins in account, Obsidian rating will get higher 😁.

• Like 1

Actually using Obsidian with more than 1 200 notes migrated from Evernote.
Both Windows machine, MacBook, iPhone and iPad synced using Obsidian sync (48 USD/year). 
Fast, stable, reliable, opened to plugins and themes, a new world.
I keep my Premium EN account until expiration next summer.
After a couple of months using Obsidian daily, I would not come back to EN, which makes me sad after 15 years with the elephant, which could have benefit from the acquisition by BS, but this is not the way I need.

22 hours ago, Jean-Christophe said:

Actually using Obsidian with more than 1 200 notes migrated from Evernote.
Both Windows machine, MacBook, iPhone and iPad synced using Obsidian sync (48 USD/year). 
Fast, stable, reliable, opened to plugins and themes, a new world.
I keep my Premium EN account until expiration next summer.
After a couple of months using Obsidian daily, I would not come back to EN, which makes me sad after 15 years with the elephant, which could have benefit from the acquisition by BS, but this is not the way I need.

So far, I've tested Obsidian on my own Synology Cloud NAS... and when I decided to use it, I bought the original Sync today for 1 month for 5 EUR...
And I can say that it is absolutely not worth speculating with various free synchronization options... The synchronization goes absolutely beautifully and in real time I can change on mobile and PC almost at the same time (you have to wait a few seconds for the change, so I don't overwrite the modification)

So I'm switching to the original Obsidian Sync and I'll only do regular backups of data on the NAS using Good Sync...

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

1 hour ago, fuchsfr said:

The User community that creates plugins is very responsive, and really how can a paid staff compete with an open source community. 

I am 1 month into O and a member of EN since November 4th, 2011.

I wonder if you kind of answered your own question/statement in that first sentence with that second sentence -- you've paid for a product for over 12 years even though open source products have existed that whole time. (Edit - oh perhaps you haven't been a subscriber that whole time -- but for a good chunk of it anyway?) 

Note that Obsidian itself is not an open source product and Obsidian developers are (basically) paid staff, so...

Obsidian is fantastic, but requires a lot more technical know-how and maintenance than Evernote -- plus there are things that are just not as good as Evernote -- saying this as a fan of both. Many people do and will prefer Evernote (just not you anymore).

I also get the impression that the Evernote staff is a lot leaner ("and meaner"?) than before, plus with their price increases and limiting of free plans -- I'd guess (SWAG) that they are making hand-over-fist compared to before.

Edited by Boot17
56 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Obsidian is fantastic, but requires a lot more technical know-how and maintenance than Evernote…

That might be the case. But currently Evernote needs so many workarounds, outside help (e.g. Autohotkey) for discontinued functionality and constant trial and error that the net-net is: Evernote isn't easy to use at all. It just used to be.

This might change over time, but there is no assurance that it will (and frankly, it doesn't look like that at all).

We shall see.

• Like 2

I am just not sure of an alternative. PC, like E-mail notes, depend on web clipper, need tags. Need searching within attachments (which OneNote does not do). Need to import about 16,000 notes.

No need for calendar integration, no need for Tasks.

may not resolve your issue,  but just for info, if you attach the pdf as printout in onenote, it is searchable.

in case you still do decide to move from evernote to onenote, there are 2 solutions I am aware of.

1) free, open source tool called stefan's tool  evernote2onenote converter.   but i haven't used so cannot vouch for it

2) onegem costing $28.   I haven't tried so cannot vouch for it, though i have read 2-3 positive reviews and no negative reviews. there is also no real trial, so you will need to make leap of faith in buying

an alternative is what I will call "incremental migration" strategy. This works for migrating from ANY note app to ANY other note app.  This works as follows:

- leave all existing notes in your old note app

- new notes, you create in new note app

- old notes, whenever you need to amend them, copy over to new note app manually and edit over there

This may appear counter-intuitive.  But this way, you are also in a way doing housekeeping, ie after 1 year, you will have active notes in your new note app, while outdated notes only in your old note app.   This helps in keeping database small, thus faster speed. Also, when you do search, you don't get so many outdated notes also appearing in search.       

In my case, I had 5000+ notes in my old palm desktop, but after 1 year, I had transferred only 1500 active notes into evernote, and left the 3500 outdated notes in old palm desktop app.     1500 notes coped over 1 year works out to be about manually copying 4 notes a day, which is not too painful (though of course in reality, in initial days, may need to copy upto 10 notes notes a day, and then it starts tapering off).    There are some drawbacks like having to search 2 notes app for some time.   But after some time, this also reduces. 

I note you have16k notes which may be difficult to use this strategy, but not impossible.   It depends upon how many of your notes are "dead" notes.   Hope this helps.  Thanks

• Like 1

A quick note

One of the things I am loving in the new Evernote: the collapsing headers, helps navigating long notes, almost no need for TOC.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, jpaz said:

One of the things I am loving in the new Evernote: the collapsing headers, helps navigating long notes, almost no need for TOC.

I agree.  The downside is that for very long notes it can greatly slow down the editing experience.  I haven’t run into this personally since I don’t tend to have long notes, but others have reported the problem.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, jpaz said:

the collapsing headers, helps navigating long notes, almost no need for TOC.

Working very well for me in research as well - I'm going through lots of sources and I'm able to create a sorted list of categories using Evernote headings.  I stash all the related links / URLs / notes I find under one title. 

Instead of scrolling through a humongously long note to find where to save stuff,  I just see one page with a list - open one up,  add a new item,  and close it down again.

for me the best interface and similar to evernote is for UPNOTE, but I can't choose different types of typography like san serif, serif or script, can anyone advise me an app where I can? 

Found my alternative to Evernote. It's UpNote.

It does the job for what I need. and only $25 for life, one time cost. I have slowly started migrating and so far it's working great. 

On 7/12/2023 at 1:00 PM, BASboy said:

JUST Updating the facts as so many responses have been not answering the question but being Defensive about my thinking of moving on from EN.

So I will state I do not take it lightly to be moving my whole system to another app. I Have been an EN User for well over 10 YRS and Paying PRO Prices to support them. I was a big fan of Phil's who started the company. And I was sticking with the company when he left and the internet was abuzz with 'EN Is Dying'.

SO, what seems to miss most responses is - My Current Notes now take 1+ minutes to open. I have written support and get tickets saying they will get back to me. BUT as of several weeks and several times contacting Evernote Support I keep not being answered and now all of Evernote Staff in the US appears to have been fire., I am beginning to suspect that Bending Spoons is run be a heartless AI with video projections of people. (People missed that this was Sarcasm... so let me now make it clearer #Sarcasm... there, now no misunderstandings, maybe)

So with No Support Response and my notes access problems getting worse, I am starting to look to alternatives that are close to Evernote. So far Nimubs Notes seems like a good Evernote Like Alternative. But open to other suggestions. Please list your app choices and the reason for your choice / maybe some of the functions the alternative app provides. Please DO NOT attack me because I am looking at other options. I realize there are Fanatics out there for so many things, including EN. So try to recognize that I am making this inquiry because I cannot get support and the app is not working properly. BUT if you choose to attack, then give actual FACTS with Links for why is so wrong with my choice and not just state Rumor or Speculation about Nimbus Notes if you Don't have Actual Experience with it. 

Please DO response if you have an actual alternative app suggestion and why. 

I figured there are others looking at possible alternatives and were still on the forums. SO I Thought I would ask Evenote Users that might have some two cents advice to give. 

NIMBUS NOTE PRODUCT OVERVIEW (Just listing some of what they do just like Evernote) 

• All-new note editor

• Groups, workspaces, folders, and subfolders

• Public links to share notes, documents, images, and videos

• Various collaboration features

• Document search and image recognition (OCR)

• Set colors to folders and notes

• Reminders

• Send emails to Nimbus Note

• Screenshot and screencast tools

• AND UNLIKE EVERNOTE... They let you do folders within folders within folders and let you color code the folders) 

On 3/30/2024 at 2:26 AM, qin107 said:

Found my alternative to Evernote. It's UpNote.

It does the job for what I need. and only $25 for life, one time cost. I have slowly started migrating and so far it's working great. 

Any app which sells a lifetime license is living on borrowed time. Fine for certain things where I could get some value for a few years and not be overly fussed when the app inevitably shuts down or a new incompatible version is launched. But, for something as important as my notes and knowledge repository that's just too risky for me.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Any app which sells a lifetime license is living on borrowed time. Fine for certain things where I could get some value for a few years and not be overly fussed when the app inevitably shuts down or a new incompatible version is launched. But, for something as important as my notes and knowledge repository that's just too risky for me.

UpNote seems to be very aware of this, and brings it up in their FAQ, https://getupnote.com/support.html#premium-faq :

"How long does my lifetime plan last?
We currently offer the lifetime plan option for UpNote. Even if we have to switch to a full subscription model, we will still honor lifetime licenses and lifetime users will be able to use all existing premium features."

And

"I’m concerned about the sustainability of UpNote, especially with the lifetime plan option.
UpNote’s lean model allows us to create efficient development cycles while optimizing costs to offer an affordable premium plan to our users. Currently, UpNote limits each attachment to 20MB and reduce the image resolution when uploading to UpNote to reduce our server costs.

We are constantly monitoring our costs and will make adjustments as needed to ensure the long-term growth of the application. With the support of our users and word of mouth so far, we have seen UpNote’s steady growth, and we are passionate about maintaining and improving the app for the long term."

UpNote is quite impressive. Unfortunately still missing some features that are important for me, but in many other ways it's superior to Evernote. I bought a lifetime license to be able to follow the development. 

@janndk

What features are you using in EN which is not there in UpNote. I have just started playing around with it to evaluate, but would be helpful to know if you can share.

31 minutes ago, qin107 said:

@janndk

What features are you using in EN which is not there in UpNote. I have just started playing around with it to evaluate, but would be helpful to know if you can share.

Evernotes unique way to have tasks inside notes, and especially ability to get an overall tasks overview (summary of tasks in all notes).

UpNote has checklists, and an ability to get a list of notes containing open checklist items. That's almost enough, but I'm missing an easy way to flag and find important tasks.

hace 8 horas, qin107 dijo:

@janndk

In UpNote I can't use different fonts :( I don't need a hundred different fonts, but 2 or 3, a serif and a script would be a good option.