Looking for Evernote Alternatives…. Suggestions? (CLARIFIED MY QUESTION)

Go to solution Solved by BonskY,

On 7/12/2023 at 1:00 PM, BASboy said:

JUST Updating the facts as so many responses have been not answering the question but being Defensive about my thinking of moving on from EN.

So I will state I do not take it lightly to be moving my whole system to another app. I Have been an EN User for well over 10 YRS and Paying PRO Prices to support them. I was a big fan of Phil's who started the company. And I was sticking with the company when he left and the internet was abuzz with 'EN Is Dying'.

SO, what seems to miss most responses is - My Current Notes now take 1+ minutes to open. I have written support and get tickets saying they will get back to me. BUT as of several weeks and several times contacting Evernote Support I keep not being answered and now all of Evernote Staff in the US appears to have been fire., I am beginning to suspect that Bending Spoons is run be a heartless AI with video projections of people. (People missed that this was Sarcasm... so let me now make it clearer #Sarcasm... there, now no misunderstandings, maybe)

So with No Support Response and my notes access problems getting worse, I am starting to look to alternatives that are close to Evernote. So far Nimubs Notes seems like a good Evernote Like Alternative. But open to other suggestions. Please list your app choices and the reason for your choice / maybe some of the functions the alternative app provides. Please DO NOT attack me because I am looking at other options. I realize there are Fanatics out there for so many things, including EN. So try to recognize that I am making this inquiry because I cannot get support and the app is not working properly. BUT if you choose to attack, then give actual FACTS with Links for why is so wrong with my choice and not just state Rumor or Speculation about Nimbus Notes if you Don't have Actual Experience with it. 

Please DO response if you have an actual alternative app suggestion and why. 

I figured there are others looking at possible alternatives and were still on the forums. SO I Thought I would ask Evenote Users that might have some two cents advice to give. 

NIMBUS NOTE PRODUCT OVERVIEW (Just listing some of what they do just like Evernote) 

• All-new note editor

• Groups, workspaces, folders, and subfolders

• Public links to share notes, documents, images, and videos

• Various collaboration features

• Document search and image recognition (OCR)

• Set colors to folders and notes

• Reminders

• Send emails to Nimbus Note

• Screenshot and screencast tools

• AND UNLIKE EVERNOTE... They let you do folders within folders within folders and let you color code the folders) 

OBSIDIAN ALL THE WAY FOR ME!!

- Tags are absolutely critical for me and Obsidian handles tags REALLY WELL - so much better than Evernote.

- Searches - Obsidian is SOOO FLEXIBLE with its search capabilities: Regular Expressions, Saved Searches or Bookmarks can be sorted in alphabetical order - WHICH HAS ALWAYS BEEN TOO HARD FOR EVERNOTE TO FIGURE OUT???  Or organized in folders and sub-folders in any order you wish.

- Templates - REAL TEMPLATES.  Programmable templates.  Evernote's templates don't include tags or headers.  There's no way to programmatically enter today's date in a header in Evernote????

- Foldable sections

- VERY CUSTOMIZABLE THEMES - that allow you to change the view, color and organization of your notes on your screen.

- CANVAS option that allows you organize multiple notes any way you like on your screen.

- It is open source.  So there are lots of improvements being made every month or every other month.  

- There are lots of developers world wide, who write plugins.  I have found the plugins to be very reliable.

- Even though this is open source software IT IS SOOOO MUCH MORE RELIABLE THAN WHAT WE HAVE HAD TO DEAL WITH FROM EVERNOTE DEVELOPERS , THE PAST 3 YEARS!  

- Finally the data, folders and files are yours.  You don't have to wait 2 weeks for Evernote to finally find the last technician who can still figure out how to get you logged in again and give you access to your notes.

- I'm not big into nested folders but I know you can have them with Obsidian.  Obsidian's structure is totally based on the file system of the hardware you are using.  So you can nest folders anyway you want.  I have some nested folders.

The one negative is that the obsidian.md web page documentation is not great for a beginner.  So getting started can be disconcerting, at first.  But you quickly find lots of videos and outside contributors who do explain how everything works, very well.

Sending an email to Obsidian is NOT a native feature.  I do miss that.  There are various recommendations on how to add this capability to Obsidian but none of them are straightforward solutions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Sledr said:

- Tags are absolutely critical for me and Obsidian handles tags REALLY WELL - so much better than Evernote.

- Searches - Obsidian is SOOO FLEXIBLE with its search capabilities: Regular Expressions, Saved Searches or Bookmarks can be sorted in alphabetical order - WHICH HAS ALWAYS BEEN TOO HARD FOR EVERNOTE TO FIGURE OUT???  Or organized in folders and sub-folders in any order you wish.

- Templates - REAL TEMPLATES.  Programmable templates.  Evernote's templates don't include tags or headers.  There's no way to programmatically enter today's date in a header in Evernote????

- Foldable sections

- VERY CUSTOMIZABLE THEMES - that allow you to change the view, color and organization of your notes on your screen.

- CANVAS option that allows you organize multiple notes any way you like on your screen.

- It is open source.  So there are lots of improvements being made every month or every other month.  

- There are lots of developers world wide, who write plugins.  I have found the plugins to be very reliable.

- Even though this is open source software IT IS SOOOO MUCH MORE RELIABLE THAN WHAT WE HAVE HAD TO DEAL WITH FROM EVERNOTE DEVELOPERS , THE PAST 3 YEARS!  

- Finally the data, folders and files are yours.  You don't have to wait 2 weeks for Evernote to finally find the last technician who can still figure out how to get you logged in again and give you access to your notes.

- I'm not big into nested folders but I know you can have them with Obsidian.  Obsidian's structure is totally based on the file system of the hardware you are using.  So you can nest folders anyway you want.  I have some nested folders.

The one negative is that the obsidian.md web page documentation is not great for a beginner.  So getting started can be disconcerting, at first.  But you quickly find lots of videos and outside contributors who do explain how everything works, very well.

Sending an email to Obsidian is NOT a native feature.  I do miss that.  There are various recommendations on how to add this capability to Obsidian but none of them are 

since when is obsidian open source?

there are only a few developers for the core product...

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, eric99 said:

since when is obsedian open source? there are a few devs only

Its no open source. They host releases on GitHub but you can't get to the code.

The one thing that always worries be about Obsidian is the plugin system. If you install 6 plugins then you're relying on 6 different developers to keep things updated so it works with the core software. Most of the plugins are hobby projects so if a dev gets married, has a kid, changes lifestyle the plugin may get put on hold or never worked on again. 

If you rely on this for you work, business, personal productivity workflows then you're gonna be screwed!

I've spend close on 20 years working with WordPress and pretty much every single problem comes from 3rd party themes and plugins.

I'd rather stick with Evernote where its the companies/developer's actual paid job to make it.

• Like 4
  • Evernote Expert
7 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

If you rely on this for you work, business, personal productivity workflows then you're gonna be screwed!

I've used the Thunderbird Email software in preference to Outlook. It serves me well but, similarly, every issue arises from the 3rd party plug-ins or at least the dysfunction that arises when the main program is updated.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Sledr said:

- Searches - Obsidian is SOOO FLEXIBLE with its search capabilities

If there's one thing I don't like, it's the bloated messy search results list

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Sledr said:

The one negative [about Obsidian] [for me]

Of course, that is an implied "for me". There are many negatives of Obsidian depending on your use case and personal preferences.

Personally, I'm finding Obsidian to be very intriguing and promising in many ways and it's moved to the top of my list for alternatives, but there are a lot of tradeoffs and a different mind shift and workflow to use it. Evernote definitely has many advantages over it in different areas (and vice-versa), but if you don't care about those areas then it doesn't matter.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Jon/t said:

The one thing that always worries be about Obsidian is the plugin system. If you install 6 plugins then you're relying on 6 different developers to keep things updated so it works with the core software. Most of the plugins are hobby projects so if a dev gets married, has a kid, changes lifestyle the plugin may get put on hold or never worked on again. 

Right, but we've also seen a similar thing happen with Evernote from v7 to v10.

Not as many fingers in the pot, and hopefully not likely to happen again, but it was still quite a drastic and show-stopper change for many.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I would be interested to know if anyone has found another app that searches embedded files like EN does.  I have Powerpoint, Excel, Word Docs, and Pdfs in my EN files.  When I do searches on EN, it also searches the content of all of those docs contained in the notes.  This is a feature that I have not been able to find in ANY other app.  Many will search only PDFs.  OneNote, only searches embedded PDFs and I believe the same it true of Notion.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

BearNotes and Apple Notes both offer the capability to search within PDFs and other types of documents, similar to Evernote. However, in comparison to Evernote, their organizational structure is less robust. Additionally, BearNotes and Apple Notes' web clippers are relatively basic in functionality.

After evaluating numerous alternative solutions, it appears that there is a scarcity of options (with the potential exception of DevonThink) that replicate the functionality that Evernote used to provide.

At present, I am adopting a wait-and-see approach, hoping to avoid any further data losses.

Depending on associated costs, I am inclined to continue using Evernote.

Nevertheless, I find myself in a constricted position, harboring reservations about the software's reliability.

The updates released by the company seem inadequately tested, leading to significant issues. It appears that the company may have taken on more than it can effectively manage, resulting in a situation where they are still finding their footing.

Given this context, it is incredible that they have opted to raise prices for software that is currently unreliable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
11 minutes ago, sfish said:

I would be interested to know if anyone has found another app that searches embedded files like EN does.  I have Powerpoint, Excel, Word Docs, and Pdfs in my EN files.  When I do searches on EN, it also searches the content of all of those docs contained in the notes.  This is a feature that I have not been able to find in ANY other app.  Many will search only PDFs.  OneNote, only searches embedded PDFs and I believe the same it true of Notion.  Thoughts?

Nope, I’ve not come across any. For basic stuff things like obsidian or heck even notepad do the job - but when it’s more - ocr scanning for instance none get close. Neither does OneDrive which has woeful search and someone tested google drive v Evernote on Reddit for ocr - Evernote beat it too. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, RobertJLee said:

BearNotes and Apple Notes both offer the capability to search within PDFs and other types of documents, similar to Evernote. However, in comparison to Evernote, their organizational structure is less robust. Additionally, BearNotes and Apple Notes' web clippers are relatively basic in functionality.

After evaluating numerous alternative solutions, it appears that there is a scarcity of options (with the potential exception of DevonThink) that replicate the functionality that Evernote used to provide.

At present, I am adopting a wait-and-see approach, hoping to avoid any further data losses.

Depending on associated costs, I am inclined to continue using Evernote.

Nevertheless, I find myself in a constricted position, harboring reservations about the software's reliability.

The updates released by the company seem inadequately tested, leading to significant issues. It appears that the company may have taken on more than it can effectively manage, resulting in a situation where they are still finding their footing.

Given this context, it is incredible that they have opted to raise prices for software that is currently unreliable.

Good point re bear and apple notes - great for those fully Apple, less so for those who use more than one platform.  Personally a web app is a must for me so bear is out.

regarding quality of releases. I don’t know much tech wise but I think RTE exposed the coding somehow and caused all sorts of issues - I don’t think continuing to support legacy helps either. They seem to be getting on top of things now and are communicating way better - my apps (barring the glitch on Tuesday!) have been way more stable - especially the mobile ones. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WilliamL said:

They seem to be getting on top of things now and are communicating way better - my apps (barring the glitch on Tuesday!) have been way more stable - especially the mobile ones. 

The trust has gone- and they are greedy for profits.......then again I don't trust microsoft or google.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
1 minute ago, RobertJLee said:

The trust has gone- and they are greedy for profits.......then again I don't trust microsoft or google.

This is an interesting point. I use Google Calendar, but I would never use either Google or Microsoft services to store important notes and ideas, let alone personal information. I just don't trust them, no matter what their user agreements say, not to capitalize on my personal information. People who don't trust other companies found Evernote trustworthy in this regard. Maybe this explains some of the rage and sense of betrayal we see in these forums with regard to price increases and software malfunctions.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, RobertJLee said:

I don’t agree personally, greedy for profits is different to sustainable. Evernote was not profitable - it needs to become so to survive. However raising prices will lose users - that’s inevitable, so they need to set those prices at a level that can compensate for the loss of users. They roughly doubled prices, if they lose 50% of users that’s same income with less resource costs.  I don’t know what the numbers are, there sure are a fair few announcing their departures, I don’t think we can claim this transition is banking them whack loads of cash tho. We’re likely years away from that possibility. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

I don’t agree personally, greedy for profits is different to sustainable.

Assuming they did their maths before buying there can be no justification for almost doubling fees and supplying an inferior broken product. What they should do is do away with free accounts- they must be a drain on resources/servers etc.

Maybe make accounts free for a month.

@Dave-in-Decatur summed it up "rage and sense of betrayal" = Exactly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, RobertJLee said:

What they should do is do away with free accounts- they must be a drain on resources/servers etc.

I don’t know if that’s the best idea - no point of developing collaboration if they paywall it. Would reduce flexibility of that feature vastly. 

3 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

I don’t know if that’s the best idea - no point of developing collaboration if they paywall it. Would reduce flexibility of that feature vastly. 

Well another option do away with support for free users...provide help pages only. I suspect thy are inundated with basic question about app.

Then again what do i  i care? If it saves/synchs /loads on all devices and greedy insulting price increase is revised then they MIGHT have a future.

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2023 at 10:35 AM, HeBoIz said:

Obsidian does have lots of pros - depending on personal use-cases (where I love it for - for special purposes).

But there are as well some cons (once again depending on use cases):

• Obsidian sync is nearly on same price level as EN Pro (but may be avoided with some nerdy workarounds using github or cloud-storage and 3-party-sync)
  • Obsidian also ist Electron-based: So for working with Obsidian the hole workspace has to be loaded for each collection of notes, attachments, plugins etc. If you are working local and running Obsidian in background this ist a one-time job. But if you are on mobile opening and loading obsidian may take some time - in some cases every time you change apps - not always fluent work... And: The more content you put in Obsidian the bigger the workspace to load will be. Dividing and organizing notes in different vaults may reduce loading time. Therefore you have to switch vaults for opening notes with other main-topics.
  • And by the way: no integrated webClipper , no direct email-forwarding

But sure: simple-file and folder system with Mardown pure, accessible and editable with every simple note-editor

Yeh, the markdown was a no for me. I  need a real editor. 

It also sounded too complicated for what I need it for which is just Notebooks and notes & about 10 other EVN features only to do with notes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 8/25/2023 at 3:43 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

This is an interesting point. I use Google Calendar, but I would never use either Google or Microsoft services to store important notes and ideas, let alone personal information. I just don't trust them, no matter what their user agreements say, not to capitalize on my personal information. People who don't trust other companies found Evernote trustworthy in this regard. Maybe this explains some of the rage and sense of betrayal we see in these forums with regard to price increases and software malfunctions.

They have your calendar too. 

Anyone who thinks ANYTHING online is private doesn't understand what's going on (or has been), especially now. 

Ponder WHY all of these companies suddenly started changing their software when the scamdemic started. 

EVN is one of them & I thank whoever told us that they were bought out by an EU corp.

And WHY almost all companies use live bots now. 

I could go on, but I won't b/c I know I'll get attacked by bullies for speaking what little Truth I already said.

Not that zoho won't be compromised soon if they haven't already, but I use Zoho now, & used to love their support & their willingness to fix bugs until they told me they would make changes to their notebook to look more like an office application like EVN, & they never did. It's been MONTHS. I was promised this in March.

Now they said they won't do it, they will only allow us to size their HUGE notecards/notebooks.

The rest I like.

They have a huge bank of different types of software. If you can think of it, they probably have it. 

And I recently found out that their ticketing system actually keeps the email thread intact which is unheard of with MOST ticketing systems nowadays which I hate. SMH

On 8/25/2023 at 3:18 PM, sfish said:

Is that the only reason why you load them onto EVN so you can search inside them?

I use Ultra file search & swear by it & the guy is very fast at responding to tickets. 

It can be a tad complicated with having to use certain keys if you only want to search for a PDF or JPG, etc., but it searches either the title or the inside & it's VERY fast. I love it & have been using it since around 2014.

I've paid him a couple of times b/c he deserves it.

On 8/9/2023 at 2:16 AM, agsteele said:

I've used the Thunderbird Email software in preference to Outlook. It serves me well but, similarly, every issue arises from the 3rd party plug-ins or at least the dysfunction that arises when the main program is updated.

I'm nervous about the HUGE update that's pending.

At least 2 of my extension devs have wanted money to redo their entire extension (I donated to one), that's how much of a change it's going to be. :(

I'm not even sure I'm going to like the new interface & I won't want to switch. GUI is one of the most important things to me with any software, & I've been using it since 2004. 

Now EVN is forcing me to switch to the one they came out with in 2021 & I don't want to. sigh 

@By BASboy - what did you end up doing?

I thought there was a way to PM people here, but I guess not.

When I checked into Nimbus at least 2 years ago, they couldn't import notebooks, only notes. That was a no go for me. I have tons of both. Plus it would have been hard for me to switch b/c of their GUI, but I just emailed them to see if they fixed the notebook issue.

I use them religiously for taking SSs. I love that part of the application & they used to (at least) respond back so fast, that sometimes it was within 2 minutes LOL 

I don't think it's like that much now, but they used to 98% of the time.

Don't understand all the vitriol here towards the OP. Are these paid commenters? AI? If you're seeing a bunch of posts about people having new issues with Evernote and wanting an alternative, take a clue, people (bots, whoever you are).

Evernote is actually dying. It can't even do text editing right anymore. Text selection is a nightmare and has different bugs from mobile to web. Sometimes copying and pasting goes wild and deletes things and can't be undone. I have routinely in the last few months gone in and edited a note (just text), opened it back up later to find that my changes were missing. No conflicting note warning. Just nada, gone into the atmos. Adding photos or documents to a note via attachments is about a 75% chance that they'll still be there when you open the note up later. Price increases. Long loading times. I just opened the app on web and it just sat there with a permanent loading spinner. This adds up to a list of bugs which can be fixed, yes, but more than that I feel like I can't trust Evernote with my data anymore. If I put something incredibly important into Evernote, it means I'm "saving" it there, and deleting it from other sources with the assumption it will be there until I delete it. If I can't rely on that fact, then Evernote is no longer useful. Full stop.

I feel for the employees that were lost in the US with the move to Europe. If that had been the only change and things were working per usual, I'd say who cares. But this is a mess. Also, can we just stop and ask ourselves why an AI company would want to buy an app with millions of users entire catalog of personal data on their servers? This seems a bit sketchy to me...

• Thanks 4
  • Level 5

You don‘t seem up to date regarding some relevant changes to the app:

Can‘t comment on your text problems. I don‘t have them, that‘s all I can tell.

If you are still in search for the occasional note conflicts, you are out of luck. RTE syncing avoids note conflicts in situations when the old way of syncing would have produced them 100%. The only note conflicts left need to be provoked, hard core. This means taking 2 clients offline, and edit the same note in a way that can‘t be resolved, because it is contradictory. Example: Erase a full paragraph in one client. Add a new line of text to the same paragraph in the other. Take both online again.

But this is intentional, nothing more than a proof of concept.

I could go on, but as I say, find out yourself.

The owners of EN and founders of BS say they bought the app because they use it themselves since long, and they have a vision where to take it. BS is by no means an AI company (at least you could do your homework before posting such stuff here), that‘s why the AI functions that are currently tested are done with a third party. BS has a solid track record to run apps with millions of users. Ever heard about Splice (Video editing) ? If you were Italian, you likely would have used the Covid Tracking app in that country - a massive data collecting and processing endeavour. These are just a few examples.

Now it‘s on them to show they can take the core of EN, and transform it into a better future. Up to now they have earned my respect, and I give them the chance to show they are up to the challenge. We are all not married with EN, and everybody can plan from subscription to subscription. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, JoshYoung said:

Don't understand all the vitriol here towards the OP. Are these paid commenters? AI? If you're seeing a bunch of posts about people having new issues with Evernote and wanting an alternative, take a clue, people (bots, whoever you are).

Evernote is actually dying. It can't even do text editing right anymore. Text selection is a nightmare and has different bugs from mobile to web. Sometimes copying and pasting goes wild and deletes things and can't be undone. I have routinely in the last few months gone in and edited a note (just text), opened it back up later to find that my changes were missing. No conflicting note warning. Just nada, gone into the atmos. Adding photos or documents to a note via attachments is about a 75% chance that they'll still be there when you open the note up later. Price increases. Long loading times. I just opened the app on web and it just sat there with a permanent loading spinner. This adds up to a list of bugs which can be fixed, yes, but more than that I feel like I can't trust Evernote with my data anymore. If I put something incredibly important into Evernote, it means I'm "saving" it there, and deleting it from other sources with the assumption it will be there until I delete it. If I can't rely on that fact, then Evernote is no longer useful. Full stop.

I feel for the employees that were lost in the US with the move to Europe. If that had been the only change and things were working per usual, I'd say who cares. But this is a mess. Also, can we just stop and ask ourselves why an AI company would want to buy an app with millions of users entire catalog of personal data on their servers? This seems a bit sketchy to me...

I haven't trusted EVN for at least 3 years since I started looking for a new solution to no avail, although Nimbus just told me they are revamping everything & so I'm praying they will make it look like EVN (pretty much) & it will have all of the features I need that only EVN has, & I can easily import all of my notebooks & the notes under them.

If anyone want to join in to hire a dev to create a duplicate of the old version, if we get enough people/money, we can develop our own. 

I've lost at least 2 notes (I'm sure more that I'm unaware of) that were HUGE. I spent weeks on one & at least 8 hours on the other. 

When I came here to complain about it, EVERYONE blamed me for the lost notes as if I'm SO stupid I just went in on my own & deleted them. They are tons of bullies on this platform that worship the almighty EVN as if they are related to them. You can't say one negative thing about them otherwise they attack. Just shocking. 

Whether they were deleted by EVN on purpose (they were very important Truther information) or their software is so bad it deleted it, I don't care (well I still care), the bottom line is that they were deleted.

You are right abut their mobile app.

How many times have I tried to get to a note while outside only to NOT see the updates or it says there's a problem with the note (I can't remember the error message).

I'm stressed trying to get the info for whoever I need to give it to & I can't & I just keep going around in circles. 

While on a plane I added a very important note of 1 1/2  years of info to the shortcut. IT LOST THE NOTE. 

A year later I found it in the Trash. sigh I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before because I wrote to EVN & I'm sure they told me to look there.

I had to redo ALL of that info before finding the first note.

Now they are forcing us to be on the latest version of EVN even though I have been avoiding it for years. It doesn't work on Win 7, they removed 2 features I needed, the interface isn't as user friendly AND it was a memory/CPU hog.

AI is tied to you know who, so yes, this speaks volumes about what they are upto AND why they are now forcing us on the version they came out with right after the war started.

Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, RapidFinancialSolutions said:

or their software is so bad it deleted it

I have no recollection over the past 15+ years of Evernote ever having deleted content from a user account.  All due respect,  but you're using an operating system that hasn't been updated or supported by Microsoft for 4 years now. There is no basis for accusing anything installed on that system of being at fault for anything. 

• Like 1
Just now, gazumped said:

I have no recollection over the past 15+ years of Evernote ever having deleted content from a user account.  All due respect,  but you're using an operating system that hasn't been updated or supported by Microsoft for 4 years now. There is no basis for accusing anything installed on that system of being at fault for anything. 

My dear, when they were deleted, it was 2-3 years ago & the OS has nothing to do with EVN. That's just more brainwashing to the masses that an OS that was working perfectly fine is no longer fine just b/c your lord & master KILL BILL tells you so.

And again, I was using the legacy version of EVN which was supposed to work with WIN 7 & it still does & this computer is on Win 10.

I don't care what has happened or hasn't happened to you. I only care about what has happened to me. You are responsible for your life & me mine.

You can call me a liar all you want, that doesn't deny the fact that I've had notes deleted out of EVN.

• Level 5

You use a deprecated software on a deprecated OS. None of both receive patches any more, they are abandoned for years now.

Both devs actively warn against their continued use. Both devs have offered their users free (!) upgrades to more modern, supported versions.

You continue to stick with the deprecated versions out of your own decision. Sorry, whatever happened, you are on your own with it.

What do you mean by outdated? I got the latest model !

image.thumb.png.25352557b6756c1dc2ae305d66fec110.png

• Like 2
  • Level 5
On 10/19/2023 at 10:41 AM, JoshYoung said:

Evernote is actually dying. It can't even do text editing right anymore. Text selection is a nightmare and has different bugs from mobile to web. Sometimes copying and pasting goes wild and deletes things and can't be undone. I have routinely in the last few months gone in and edited a note (just text), opened it back up later to find that my changes were missing. No conflicting note warning. Just nada, gone into the atmos. Adding photos or documents to a note via attachments is about a 75% chance that they'll still be there when you open the note up later.

All I can say is I'm not experiencing what you're experiencing. People experiencing problems seem to believe that everyone else is having the same issues, and therefore "Evernote is dying." (Try searching the forums for expressions like that. See how far back they go. And yet it lives.) If anyone ventures to disagree or say it's working OK for us, that's considered "vitriol," and we're accused of being shills. Believe me, they could not pay me enough.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
23 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Believe me, they could not pay me enough.

On that point and if anyone is interested - my loyalties are definitely negotiable,  but they do carry a premium price...  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
18 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You use a deprecated software on a deprecated OS. None of both receive patches any more, they are abandoned for years now.

Both devs actively warn against their continued use. Both devs have offered their users free (!) upgrades to more modern, supported versions.

You continue to stick with the deprecated versions out of your own decision. Sorry, whatever happened, you are on your own with it.

What do you mean by outdated? I got the latest model !

image.thumb.png.25352557b6756c1dc2ae305d66fec110.png

Hmm, I guess you couldn't read the part where I said that the notes went missing BEFORE their new version rolled out in 2022.

• Level 5

You write a lot. You write here you lost 2 notes. You write in another posting 2-3 years ago. You write the new version came out in 2021 (actually it was 2020). You write in yet another posting you lost a note 1 1/2 year ago on a plane (which probably means offline mode, device not mentioned), and then you found it later in the trash (which rather speaks for a case of fat finger syndrome).

You think anybody could make sense out of this fractionary, partially contradictory and mostly anecdotal description of your ills and woes ? I can‘t, honestly, and given the general tone of the postings, I won‘t. As another user, unrelated to EN except I pay a subscription every year, I can decide where to try an assist, and where to comment. When I think it’s not worth it, I move on.

🏎️

• Like 2
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You write a lot. You write here you lost 2 notes. You write in another posting 2-3 years ago. You write the new version camp out in 2021 (actually it was 2020). You write in yet another posting you lost a note 1 1/2 year ago on a plane (which probably means offline mode, device not mentioned), and then you found it later in the trash (which rather speaks for a case of fat finger syndrome).

You think anybody could make sense out of this fractionary, partially contradictory and mostly anecdotal description of your ills and woes ? I can‘t, honestly, and given the general tone of the postings, I won‘t. As another user, unrelated to EN except I pay a subscription every year, I can decide where to try an assist, and where to comment. When I think it’s not worth it, I move on.

🏎️

LOL, Yeh, you are on here every day & I'm on here around once a year & I write a lot. 

You are hilarious.

I don't need your help. I never asked for your help.

You keep worshipping your almighty EVN & bullying me.

Adios - I don't have time for bullies. I'm too busy fighting in this war. Keep it up. BYE

• 1 month later...

so much for free users I guess. Guess I am finally forced out, time to switch. There is a lot of data since I have been using it from the very start. Thanks for the free collection of my data during that time. Oh well, the only thing constant is change. What a pain.

• Level 5
34 minutes ago, anyonebutme said:

so much for free users I guess. Guess I am finally forced out, time to switch. There is a lot of data since I have been using it from the very start. Thanks for the free collection of my data during that time. Oh well, the only thing constant is change. What a pain.

lot of data ... using it from the very start ... what a pain: the pain has been Evernote's, and they have applied the cure, IMHO.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Well seeing all this AI in so many other apps. And Bending Spoons is supposedly all in with AI. Yet so far all they do is offer to clean up my notes. And search is just as sad as it ever was. I have to think for 10 minutes to get the right combination of words that will give me the notes that I wan. Not much else other than raise prices and promise all these mysterious and incredible things they are going to do... yet they don't do anything since. So I was a premium user. I just downgraded to Month to month at the renual of my yearly subscription, dropped a level and plan to migrate my notes into NOTION. 

If you don't use the web platform and the integration with calendar, I really suggest UpNote. It really combines the best of Evernote (simple editor, all you need is there), Notion (nested notebooks) and Obsidian (local first, no vendor lock in as you can export everything as markup file). Plus some specific features I love (a note can be put in multiple notebooks, easy way to find Todos, you can create notes that belong to no notebook and then add them later).They seem to be a little company who are investing really in the quality of their product and in the user experience, and you get a lot of value for a really low price. I was a paying user of Evernote, but with recent price increases, I don't they provide enough value to support it. Did a lot of exploration before finding an alternative (Obsidian, Logseq, Bear, Capacities, Everytype ...), and I'm really happy with this setup (by the way I also use Notion as read later app)

• Like 2
On 7/14/2023 at 7:50 AM, RJLUK said:

But nothing appears to have changed and the service is getting worse, But we are being asked to pay 50%.

What they SHOULD do is FIX it then include more options/tools and ask if people to pay more.

….

And before the fan boys pile in yes I know I can go elsewhere

So I am monitoring what happens until my renewal in November. Then a decision will be made.

What did you decide? It’s December, 2023, and EN is still somewhat broken. Toggling between notes or between a note and another app takes way too long now, plus it loses my place in the note. It’s become a loss-of-productivity app. Yes, I know I can go elsewhere. Thus my question: What did you decide?

• Level 5*

Just for the record...

More information on alternatives from websites like https://noteapps.info or https://toolfinder.co 

Search for help online too such as https://www.wikihow.com/Migrate-from-Evernote-to-OneNote 

One size does not fit all in note-taking;  the best alternative depends on what you want to use it for...

• Thanks 2
On 7/17/2023 at 5:39 PM, PinkElephant said:

It obviously depends on what you ask support: It can be something available, and they just point out how, it can be  an issue that needs to pass through the release cycle, or it can be one of these „nice to have, but never will“ features.

Depending on this the time it will take will be between a few hours, several weeks or „never“.

It is plain bad mouthing to tell „they never will“ - as if you would know.

So it sounds like you’re saying at the very end. To just shut up and take the abuse and pay the money for the lack of support. And quit crying if it hurts. Nice advice.

• Like 1

So even with the new AI which they’re gonna charge even more money for. Search sucks. My account is about to renew in January. So I’ve already switched it to a monthly subscription. Which is how long I will need to export everything into Notion. That is my new program that I have chosen. Partly because of a course and template that uses second brain incorporation. Simplify it all. I’m currently. Exporting my notes to Notion, by use of Notion new import link. So as of February 2 my account with Evernote will be canceled. Good luck to all the rest of you. Choose to stay with this current version of Evernote. Burning spoons keeps their plans close to their chest, Ask for a lot of money, gives little support, all the while there are more and more  apps out there that make Evernote pale in comparison. I’ve been with Evernote for more than a decade, so I do not make this decision lately. And I do not plan to Switch to any more notetaking apps. As notion has a lot of flexibility. And if you keep changing your tools, all the time, they’ll never get anything done. But the creator of second brain has even switched over to Notion. And that’s good enough for me. Plus it doesn’t hurt that it’s $49 a year if you do a lot of importing. Otherwise, it’s zero cost to you.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, BASboy said:

So even with the new AI which they’re gonna charge even more money for. Search sucks.

Ai search doesn't cost extra. It comes with the paid plans.

I can't agree that search sucks. Evernote has always been known for the best search on the market. With OCR, filters and advanced search syntax available you can create some very advanced searches and save them.

Enjoy Notion, its not my cup of tea and I believe they do charge extra for Ai.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, BASboy said:

I’ve been with Evernote for more than a decade, so I do not make this decision lately. And I do not plan to. Switch to any more notetaking apps.

I would suggest that you check out Notion’s export options to ensure they will do what you want in case a future change is ever needed.  I’m sure there was a time when you thought you’d never leave Evernote.  I’m not a big fan of Notion but others do like it.  Good luck with the change.

• Thanks 2
25 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

I can't agree that search sucks. Evernote has always been known for the best search on the market. With OCR, filters and advanced search syntax available you can create some very advanced searches and save them.

If you notice on the AI search, they say try it out. It’s free for all plans at the moment. Meaning they are going to charge for it. And I’m glad search works for you. I tried regular search and AI search. For one particular receipt For a Google mesh router. The AI gave me 100 notes to dig through and the regular Evernote search yielded nothing of use. I had to do some digging and research to find what I wanted. And it said plainly what I was looking for was on that receipt. So in both cases search failed me.  Yes, notion seemed daunting to me until as I said, I found a guy who’s been around for quite a long time who’s made notion his life and second brain integration alongside Tiago Forte system, and help. To make it simpler and easier. So most of the work has been done for me . 

31 minutes ago, Jon/t said:

They do charge extra. But at least they’re AI appears to work. Where is spending spoons who is been doing AI work for several years on several other apps. Doesn’t seem to be mounting to anything. Very impressive. So I’d pay for something that works. Evernote charges, but doesn’t seem to work at all.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, BASboy said:

They do charge extra. But at least they’re AI appears to work. Where is spending spoons who is been doing AI work for several years on several other apps. Doesn’t seem to be mounting to anything. Very impressive. So I’d pay for something that works. Evernote charges, but doesn’t seem to work at all.

EN AI search is a sensitive balance between efficiency and privacy (security) ... what measures does notion take to protect your privacy when using AI search?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, eric99 said:

EN AI search is a sensitive balance between efficiency and privacy (security) ... what measures does notion take to protect your privacy when using AI search?

Well I did a quick google search using Google AI (something you could have done as well and stated your results) but here you go. So you need not wonder. 

Notion AI's privacy policy states that they follow standard data protection practices to keep data encrypted and private. They also state that: 

• Notion AI's Writing Suite will not use data to train models unless the user opt in to share their data 
  • Any information used to power Notion AI will be shared with partners to provide features 
  • AI subprocessors are prohibited from using customer data to train models 
  • Data is encrypted in transit using TLS 1.2 or greater when sent to AI LLM subprocessors 
  • AI LLM subprocessors only retain data for 30 days or less before deletion 
  • Use of Notion AI does not grant Notion any right or license to customer data to train machine learning models 
When users leave a workspace, they can request that their data be deleted by the workspace owner. Customers can also request that their data be deleted when they terminate their subscription
1 hour ago, BASboy said:

Well I did a quick google search using Google AI (something you could have done as well and stated your results) but here you go. So you need not wonder. 

Notion AI's privacy policy states that they follow standard data protection practices to keep data encrypted and private. They also state that:

Notion AI's Writing Suite will not use data to train models unless the user opt in to share their data
    Any information used to power Notion AI will be shared with partners to provide features
    AI subprocessors are prohibited from using customer data to train models
    Data is encrypted in transit using TLS 1.2 or greater when sent to AI LLM subprocessors
    AI LLM subprocessors only retain data for 30 days or less before deletion
    Use of Notion AI does not grant Notion any right or license to customer data to train machine learning models

When users leave a workspace, they can request that their data be deleted by the workspace owner. Customers can also request that their data be deleted when they terminate their subscription

Yes, I did that search too, but that says nothing about what and how much data is sent to the AI server. Evernote's AI-search only sends a very small set of the most relevant notes to the server, just the notes on that topic and nothing more. That compromise makes it safer but at the same time less efficient, depending on your queries...

• Level 5*

Don't let us misguided,  brainwashed,  credulous remainers dissuade you - the more users that leave,  the faster my connection gets.  I wish everyone good luck in their new applications.  I'm just going to stay here and be taken advantage of for the next several months with my new (much faster) subscription... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

Don't let us misguided,  brainwashed,  credulous remainers dissuade you - the more users that leave,  the faster my connection gets.  I wish everyone good luck in their new applications.  I'm just going to stay here and be taken advantage of for the next several months with my new (much faster) subscription... 

says the  man who I picture uses a windows 98 computer on dial up 48k modem. 

7 hours ago, eric99 said:

Notion AI's privacy policy states that they follow standard data protection practices to keep data encrypted and private. They also state that: 

• Notion AI's Writing Suite will not use data to train models unless the user opt in to share their data 
  • Any information used to power Notion AI will be shared with partners to provide features 
  • AI subprocessors are prohibited from using customer data to train models 
  • Data is encrypted in transit using TLS 1.2 or greater when sent to AI LLM subprocessors 
  • AI LLM subprocessors only retain data for 30 days or less before deletion 
  • Use of Notion AI does not grant Notion any right or license to customer data to train machine learning models 
When users leave a workspace, they can request that their data be deleted by the workspace owner. Customers can also request that their data be deleted when they terminate their subscription
45 minutes ago, gazumped said:

You appear to be wrong about that,  as you are so any other things...

As I am so  “any” other things? Ah… look. The universe threw a stone at you. LOL. you should run your comments through Evernote’s AI before you post. ROTFL

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, BASboy said:

The creator of the 2nd brain and why he moved from Evernote to Notion

I didn't watch the whole YouTube video you linked, but I wonder if you may be misrepresenting him. I searched the transcript and didn't find one mention of Evernote. Are you sure he moved to Notion or does he just use it in addition to Evernote? It's not uncommon to use multiple platforms for different needs. Notion isn't a direct feature-for-feature alternative to Evernote.

Either way, that YouTube video you posted is from 2 years ago and he said the following below just the other day on Twitter X. Quite the opposite of what was implied. "I've never been more bullish on @evernote" he said, among other things:

Unpopular opinion: Everything that’s happening with Evernote is in fact very good

• Being acquired was good because the previous team showed it wasn’t capable of managing the product

• Being acquired by a European company was good because Europeans make way better productivity apps since they’re not as beholden to trends, hype, and VCs (see Cultured Code, maker of the best productivity app Things)

• It’s good that Bending Spoons isn’t a known brand, so they’re not temped to be cool and innovative just for the sake of it

• It’s good that they’re running it for profitability, not rapid growth, which incentivizes them to make a reliable utility rather than “revolutionize human consciousness” or some such BS

• It’s good that they’re severely limiting free accounts, so now they can focus on paying users who depend on it day in and out

I’ve never been more bullish on  @evernote

I’ve been using Evernote every day for 11.5 years and can’t think of a time it failed me

Which other productivity tool of any kind can you say that about?

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills seeing all these hysterical predictions of its greatly exaggerated demise

The only people who talk that way are the ones who don’t use it

• Like 1
On 12/6/2023 at 1:08 PM, anyonebutme said:

So I just moved to Zoho notebook - https://go.zoho.com/rQ7

I am having issues with it (the GUI mainly, but there are bugs) & doing a lot to help them get it way more streamlined/user friendly, & get the bugs fixed.

I always work for free for every company I help, it's not just them, but I'm pretty sure they will NOT lose a ton of notes like EVN lost (tons of lost work) & they actually care about your opinion (I use other zoho products too) & they almost always fix everything in the other programs I use of theirs. 

I may have some issues with Zoho b/c they have too many products & no one who overseas all of the depts., & depending on the dept., some take longer to respond, but their heart is in it & they are nice & like I said, they fix issues. I love that about them. 

PLUS, they are privately owned & have ensured me they aren't using evil amazon or goolag servers so my info is NOT given to the evil AI. 

They may do the porting over for you (migration). If you need to talk to them, just ping me & I'll loop you in.

Also, I can't remember what the price is for premium, but whatever it is, I can afford it & I'm a poor Truther Activist running my non profit, so for the year I think it's miniscule. Usually you can't pay for a month b/c the cost is so low they just charge for the year. iDrive does that too although their price is more.

I've been wanting to leave EVN for 2 years. 

2 hours ago, BASboy said:

As I am so  “any” other things? Ah… look. The universe threw a stone at you. LOL. you should run your comments through Evernote’s AI before you post. ROTFL

Their worshippers. They either own stock or just have to attack anyone who experiences something different so no one speaks the Truth. It's what a lot of people do, especially if they are transhuman if you know what that is.

Did you consider zoho? So I just moved to Zoho notebook - https://go.zoho.com/rQ7

I decided against Notion, but I'd have to look at my notes as to why. 

3 minutes ago, RapidFinancialSolutions said:

This AI search was only available on the version that came out in 2021, or the legacy version too?

Ai Powered Search came out September this year. Not available in the old legacy apps.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Giuerom said:

If you don't use the web platform and the integration with calendar, I really suggest UpNote. It really combines the best of Evernote (simple editor, all you need is there), Notion (nested notebooks) and Obsidian (local first, no vendor lock in as you can export everything as markup file). Plus some specific features I love (a note can be put in multiple notebooks, easy way to find Todos, you can create notes that belong to no notebook and then add them later).They seem to be a little company who are investing really in the quality of their product and in the user experience, and you get a lot of value for a really low price. I was a paying user of Evernote, but with recent price increases, I don't they provide enough value to support it. Did a lot of exploration before finding an alternative (Obsidian, Logseq, Bear, Capacities, Everytype ...), and I'm really happy with this setup (by the way I also use Notion as read later app)

Do you mean getupnote where they don't understand English & can't answer simple questions about features?

Maybe there's 2, upnotes & getupnote is the one I looked into last year. Just checking. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Make this another point on your list

- understand Englisch
- can answer simple feature questions 

You can write a doctorate thesis about „How I searched and found a note app in 2024“ when you are done.

Writing one doctorate was enough. Thank you very much. 

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, RapidFinancialSolutions said:

Their worshippers. They either own stock or just have to attack anyone who experiences something different so no one speaks the Truth. It's what a lot of people do, especially if they are transhuman if you know what that is.

Did you consider zoho? So I just moved to Zoho notebook - https://go.zoho.com/rQ7

I decided against Notion, but I'd have to look at my notes as to why. 

Talk about using 50¢ words — Transhumanism is a philosophical and intellectual movement which advocates the enhancement of the human condition by developing and making widely available sophisticated technologies that can greatly enhance longevity and cognition.[1][2]

Transhumanist thinkers study the potential benefits and dangers of emerging technologies that could overcome fundamental human limitations, as well as the ethics[3] of using such technologies. Some transhumanists believe that human beings may eventually be able to transform themselves into beings with abilities so greatly expanded from the current condition as to merit the label of posthumanbeings.[2]

11 hours ago, Boot17 said:

I didn't watch the whole YouTube video you linked, but I wonder if you may be misrepresenting him. I searched the transcript and didn't find one mention of Evernote. Are you sure he moved to Notion or does he just use it in addition to Evernote? It's not uncommon to use multiple platforms for different needs. Notion isn't a direct feature-for-feature alternative to Evernote.

Either way, that YouTube video you posted is from 2 years ago and he said the following below just the other day on Twitter X. Quite the opposite of what was implied. "I've never been more bullish on @evernote" he said, among other things:

Well I guess I stand corrected. But I have seen recent videos of him crowing about using the Chat AI features to summarize his notes and saving him hours and hours and hours of time. Perhaps he moved his business stuff to Notion only. As he said in an interview (sorry, I watch so many things I can’t find the interview to post at this precise moment) that he uses Notion nowadays as a large chunk of his staff prefer the app. For good or bad I am ready to move on from Evernote. It no long serves my needs in a way that is useful to me. We all grow and change. I see Notion growing and changing. But I don’t see Evernote growing any more, just charging more and delivering less and squeezing out people to either pay them money or go away. So I am glad that Tiago Forte is bullish on Evernote. I am not anymore. I can’t justify paying for both Evernote AND Notion. That splits my focus and even Tiago talked abut having too many apps to think about. 

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, BASboy said:

Everyone builds on other peoples ideas

I would suggest that the word, in this case, is borrow. The idea of a ”second brain“ was part of Evernote’s original marketing. It doesn’t surprise me that he is a long time Evernote user. Getting thoughts and ideas out of your head and into a trusted system is a fundamental part of Getting Things Done. I’d suggest that you read that book and then decide if Forte is adding anything new and useful to this concept.

• Like 1
On 7/12/2023 at 9:17 PM, PinkElephant said:

@BASboy Why don’t you pick whatever you want to use, go to their forum and ask how to start ?

Because Evernote, back in the day when I got an account, made a HUGE deal about my data being mine, and always being able to get my data out of EN. Now that it's come to it that doesn't work properly. Not in one app, in every app that I try. Which means that my data doesn't turn out to be mine after all. Also, the price hikes have been incredible over the years, especially considering that what you get for that has gotten progressively worse.

16 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe you should post about your issues, instead of using a lot of words to only tell vagueness.

Lol... I was responding to a comment you made telling someone not to post here but on the forum of the other app. God I hate fanbois

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
22 minutes ago, Manic Panic said:

Because Evernote, back in the day when I got an account, made a HUGE deal about my data being mine, and always being able to get my data out of EN. Now that it's come to it that doesn't work properly. Not in one app, in every app that I try. Which means that my data doesn't turn out to be mine after all.

Your data is yours and is available if you want to move elsewhere.  If you are having export trouble let us know the specifics and maybe we can help.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
28 minutes ago, Manic Panic said:

Lol... I was responding to a comment you made telling someone not to post here but on the forum of the other app. God I hate fanbois

Sure - if he has an import problem. ENs job is to provide an export (actually they provide several, plus independent options). If the import causes trouble, the app that should digest the load is responsible to perform that job.

But that’s probably beyond the grasp of somebody occupied with hating others.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5*
27 minutes ago, VincentC said:

I think @gazumped mentioned in a post long ago and far away that there is an option on this platform to ignore discussions.  I can't find it; can someone give me a hint?  I really don't want to bump into this one, again.

Vinnie

Hover over the name and you will see ignore in the popup.

image.png.7ab30648667cb9c68821d06cc2e76ca9.png

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I've been relieved by the ability to ignore an increasing number of contributors whose efforts I find unpleasant or who simply don't give me any joy. I hope anyone who finds my input unhelpful will do the same to me. 

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
18 minutes ago, bakula said:

various choices that do not allow AI scraping of your data.

For the record,  Evernote does not allow "AI scraping" whatever that might be..  and the choices mentioned are just the usual suspects...

8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

For the record,  Evernote does not allow "AI scraping" whatever that might be..  and the choices mentioned are just the usual suspects...

In which case it would be useful to explain (in depth) how the AI-Search functionality is implemented.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/20406371441939-AI-Powered-Search-Overview

Relevant text:

"At Evernote we take many precautions to keep your data private and secure, especially when we use AI models to process it, and we make sure that your notes will never be used for training without your consent. In addition, all of our AI features are opt-in only, to guarantee that you are the one deciding to power your Evernote with AI."

• Level 5

Notes are preselected by search. The best fits are then send to AI search. If I remember correctly it’s no more than a handful.

The result is delivered back.

Since AI search only happens when the user decides to use it, it is plain opt in. Because the initial search is done by the regular search, this step works without any AI participation.

Only the few notes in the final draw are passed on. By contract with the AI provider they will not be used for training (which you can trust or don’t, in which case you simply don’t use AU search).

AI search is opt in every time you want to use it. The AI provider never gets access to your account - he only receives a few notes, processes them and returns the result.

That’s my understanding from the open communication. Further questions ?

12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Notes are preselected by search. The best fits are then send to AI search. If I remember correctly it’s no more than a handful.

The result is delivered back.

Since AI search only happens when the user decides to use it, it is plain opt in. Because the initial search is done by the regular search, this step works without any AI participation.

Only the few notes in the final draw are passed on. By contract with the AI provider they will not be used for training (which you can trust or don’t, in which case you simply don’t use AU search).

AI search is opt in every time you want to use it. The AI provider never gets access to your account - he only receives a few notes, processes them and returns the result.

That’s my understanding from the open communication. Further questions ?

This is probably a good guess but it would be more useful if EN clarified this. The AI engine provider would also need to be known as they, presumably, are considered an outside supplier to EN and how this relates to their liability in case something goes wrong.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
Just now, bakula said:

This is probably a good guess but it would be more useful if EN clarified this. The AI engine provider would also need to be known as they, presumably, are considered an outside supplier to EN and this relates to their liability in case something goes wrong.

I'm still confused.  1) the article you referenced doesn't even mention AI.  2) If you look at Evernote's AI search or AI cleanup options they explains clearly what is sent and to whom.  If you don't want to have your content shared,  don't use the links.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm still confused.  1) the article you referenced doesn't even mention AI.  2) If you look at Evernote's AI search or AI cleanup options they explains clearly what is sent and to whom.  If you don't want to have your content shared,  don't use the links.

The alternatives don't offer AI search as a feature.

Also this text is wholly insufficient in addressing the liability issue (for me):

"In order to provide the best possible experience for our users, we may need to work with providers such as OpenAI to better support certain features and functionalities like the processing of note content."

How these third-parties use/sell the (presumably anonymized) data for their own income generating purposes is not explicitly disavowed.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, bakula said:

This is probably a good guess but it would be more useful if EN clarified this. The AI engine provider would also need to be known as they, presumably, are considered an outside supplier to EN and how this relates to their liability in case something goes wrong.

Everything that @PinkElephant stated is accurate. No guesses involved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
46 minutes ago, bakula said:

The alternatives don't offer AI search as a feature.

Also this text is wholly insufficient in addressing the liability issue (for me):

"In order to provide the best possible experience for our users, we may need to work with providers such as OpenAI to better support certain features and functionalities like the processing of note content."

How these third-parties use/sell the (presumably anonymized) data for their own income generating purposes is not explicitly disavowed.

Don't like it, don't use it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Don't like it, don't use it.

If you're tacitly claiming that EN supports the use of our (presumably anonymized) data for income generating purposes to third parties then it's worth stating officially as right now there is nothing in the EN Privacy statement for their third-party arrangement with Open AI (or other similar entity) involving an explicit disclaimer of usage of the data. As well, our privacy agreement with EN does not bind third-parties to follow the same policies.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, bakula said:

If you're tacitly claiming that EN supports the use of our (presumably anonymized) data for income generating purposes to third parties

He's not;  they don't.  Your data is totally private unless you explicitly choose to use the AI services.  I don't know what point you're trying to make here,  but there's an easy way to avoid any risk.  Do not use the service.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, bakula said:

If you're tacitly claiming that EN supports the use of our (presumably anonymized) data for income generating purposes to third parties then it's worth stating officially as right now there is nothing in the EN Privacy statement for their third-party arrangement with Open AI (or other similar entity) involving an explicit disclaimer of usage of the data. As well, our privacy agreement with EN does not bind third-parties to follow the same policies.

It seems you use AI to write your forum posts.

Hallucinating facts is one of the properties of the actual AI generation. Not knowing when an argument has run its course and is lost is another.

It does not validate an answer, obviously.

• Haha 4