Alvin C

Bugs on version 10 of iOS

I think I have gone through the threads here, and try to report some bugs I saw especially what others haven't yet mentioned.

• I can't open the attachment. The attachment bar only shows "Loading..." and at the same time I can't scroll through the same note.
  • On Dark Mode
    • Screen flickers twice (whole white) before opening each note. It happens on my iPad Pro (10.5-inch, 2017) and does not happen on my iPhone X.
    • When clear formatting of internal note links, they become blue colour same as web link instead (No problems on light mode).
  • Unnecessary space between the heading of Shortcuts and the shortcuts (see the attachment).
  • Sometimes it's not easy to swipe back to note list from the note.

Looking forward to the continuously improving versions. And thanks for the update!

IMG_082C8C9878DA-1.jpeg.e451c16e145231ecaa5ad23c4372aad3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the same issue:

There is empty space between notebooks and I don't see some notebooks. iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13.7

IMG_76166A3654E7-1.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello all, thanks so much for taking the time to report this. It's immensely helpful. 

• @Alvin C, thanks for the detailed list. We'll look into these. 
  • The issue with a blank space in the left sidebar is a known issue - we are actively investigating and hope to find a fix soon. 

Hi everyone,

I also am sad to report this a very disappointing and buggy release. Here's the sad list of woe:

• My notes won't sync properly (notes that show happily in my Mac version and the web version do not show up in the iOS app) - this is the number one thing Evernote cannot afford to get wrong. Use of this system is built on trust that all notes will be the same on all devices (syncing properly) - when this doesn't happen, it seriously erodes trust
  • When syncing happens, it is crazy slow
  • Interactions are clumsy - for example, you slide a note to show the delete option, but if you change your mind and try to slide the note back (i.e. left swipe) it swipes the whole notes page, not just the note you are interacting with
  • Notebooks not showing
  • Everything slow
  • As others mentioned have mentioned, the little note that pops up when you use the Share Sheet on iPhone/iPad ('it'll take time to sync') is crazy annoying.

All in all, a release that was meant to generate new excitement for the Evernote platform has done the opposite. I much prefer the old version, poor as it was - at least it mainly worked.

One step closer to saying F*CK IT and just moving all in to Apple Notes, at least that is native to the platforms I'm using and always syncs without bother. In fact, if it wasn't for Evernote's 'web clipper' tool, I'd leave the service pretty quickly.

Must do much, much better.

A tired, disgruntled customer

Stu

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

SHARESHEET IN MOBILE SAFARI NOT SAVING TO EVERNOTE

I'm also finding when I share a webpage from  mobile safari on iOS to Evernote (using the Share Share to Evernote), currently most of the time the page doesn't actually get sent to Evernote - it just doesn't appear. This is so lousy. Guys, you cannot release an app that fails on these most basic of things. Really disappointed here.

• Like 1

21 小時前, stu_ck說:

Hi everyone,

I also am sad to report this a very disappointing and buggy release. Here's the sad list of woe:

• My notes won't sync properly (notes that show happily in my Mac version and the web version do not show up in the iOS app) - this is the number one thing Evernote cannot afford to get wrong. Use of this system is built on trust that all notes will be the same on all devices (syncing properly) - when this doesn't happen, it seriously erodes trust
  • When syncing happens, it is crazy slow
  • Interactions are clumsy - for example, you slide a note to show the delete option, but if you change your mind and try to slide the note back (i.e. left swipe) it swipes the whole notes page, not just the note you are interacting with
  • Notebooks not showing
  • Everything slow
  • As others mentioned have mentioned, the little note that pops up when you use the Share Sheet on iPhone/iPad ('it'll take time to sync') is crazy annoying.

All in all, a release that was meant to generate new excitement for the Evernote platform has done the opposite. I much prefer the old version, poor as it was - at least it mainly worked.

One step closer to saying F*CK IT and just moving all in to Apple Notes, at least that is native to the platforms I'm using and always syncs without bother. In fact, if it wasn't for Evernote's 'web clipper' tool, I'd leave the service pretty quickly.

Must do much, much better.

A tired, disgruntled customer

Stu

A few days ago I couldn't update my notes. I made changes several times and the app does not save my newer versions.

We actually have been waiting for more than a year for a more reliable, better version, as they said on YouTube. They also had beta versions for some members. But after the beta, it becomes another iOS 11 Public Beta 1 in which you find even basic charging is not functioning (happened on my iPhone 5s at that time).

I expect in this case, Evernote should have v10.0.1 and even v10.0.2 within these three days since v10.0, like what other app developers did. However, nothing has been done yet. Users have to switch to the stable MacOS/Windows/Android for the long time.

One  more bug to add to the list: clipping on IOS doesn't work. Just tested it now and it doesn't send the the note to EN IOS or the the Cloud server.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lesicaire said:

One  more bug to add to the list: clipping on IOS doesn't work. Just tested it now and it doesn't send the the note to EN IOS or the the Cloud server.

The Share feature works for me; edit Creates a local note in Evernote
                               IMG_3747.thumb.png.c962d360a8135f158c4fa0e2faf4d7e6.png

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

The Share feature works for me
                               IMG_3747.thumb.png.c962d360a8135f158c4fa0e2faf4d7e6.png

The share sheet itself comes up and all, but then the content doesn't show up anywhere (iOS, web, Mac). Might be related to the sync issues. 

11 minutes ago, Chris_W said:

The share sheet itself comes up and all, but then the content doesn't show up anywhere (iOS, web, Mac). Might be related to the sync issues. 

I get a local note in Evernote.  Eventually - there seems to be a delay

@Chris W @DTLow Nothing comes up on my side guys. Clipped two pages in Safari an hour ago. Just checked now, synced (IOS, web, Win and Mac) nothing. Could be a sync issue related. But it's definitely a bug.

am i the only sub that thinks the new release is pretty terrible? Tap the screen to edit, it takes you a totally different place in the note. Select some text, the cut/copy etc controls don't appear. No obvious 'sync status' marker that i can see and i've had sync conflicts 5 times across devices since the update like 2 days ago. Google docs links get overwritten by some massive banner ad thing that demands i connect my google account even though i don't want. No noticeable functional improvements; only regressions. Basically it's just a cosmetic update that for some reason has introduced a ton of regression issues against basic functionality, plus a load of new ways of doing old things, that seems to bear no relation to how people work or what they want to do. 

41 minutes ago, silvershower said:

am i the only sub that thinks the new release is pretty terrible?

Yes, this release has bugs and missing features     
More than a typical release, but not unexpected for a .0 release of an extensive code rewrite   
I would not use my primary device for reviewing this release

And another bug... (sad... very sad... What a mess Evernote...):

Just attempted to insert a picture into a note. Well didn't work for me.  Keeps looping for ages... then nothing. Just nothing. The picture doesn't show up inside the note.

See below (after 37mn waiting):

01.thumb.jpeg.cf06aa171d13626b65c4a3f8c5128964.jpeg

But it doesn't end there unfortunately. You would think I could get rid of the note that has been created right? Well hell no... The bugs demise needs to carry on a little further by not letting me deleting the newly created note as shown below:

02.thumb.jpeg.7aa44716e26c40ef92baf6852401525a.jpeg

I did several attempt without success. The note is still there. But for some mysterious reasons it doesn't sync to the cloud server and stays locally.

Not sure if anyone can replicate this.

But this is definitely another bug.

I can't believe this kinda things has not been tested... 

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

More than a typical release, but not unexpected for a .0 release of an extensive code rewrite  

Not sure about that.  There needs to be some responsibility for the quality and content of the release.  This roughness of this release doesn't match the lead up fanfare, faster - better - easier.  Was hoping to be wowed.  IMO anyway.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CalS said:

There needs to be some responsibility for the quality and content of the release

I'm a developer, so I nominate the testers and QA analysts who signed off,   🙂
however I suspect this release was pushed by  management

Just now, DTLow said:

I'm a developer, so I nominate the testers and QA analysts who signed off,   
however I suspect there was a push from management

Yeah, I was just saying the company at large popped the pooch on this one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lesicaire said:

@Chris W @DTLow Nothing comes up on my side guys. Clipped two pages in Safari an hour ago. Just checked now, synced (IOS, web, Win and Mac) nothing. Could be a sync issue related. But it's definitely a bug.

After saving the clip did you see this message

I suspect it's being held in a holding cache92EB84FD-2719-471A-ACFD-3AB1A1A7F971.thumb.jpeg.af972cce9d83c6900b88df91c07b353d.jpeg

I really like some of the UI changes. Search autocompletes, quicker access to editing, quite a bit actually. 
However, core features are not functioning properly at all. I get: note sync conflicts, notes copying and copying themselves, offline notebooks won’t download (green progress bar progresses then goes back to zero), notes can’t be edited when notebooks are being downloaded, can’t save anything with the iOS clipper, etc etc. 

4 小時前, DTLow說:

I'm a developer, so I nominate the testers and QA analysts who signed off,   🙂
however I suspect this release was pushed by  management

I admit as a user I am looking forward to the update, but not the update which can erode the trust with users.

In version 8.0 I didn't consider leaving, but now I start thinking seriously about it. They did very well on improving functions and UI, but these become meaningless when the core feature cannot function properly.

I’m a paying user since 2009. I have 29.947 notes. But I seriously doubt whether I’m going to hit 30 K. I’m screwed.

Please, please, please, give us back 8.24.6. 

And, I’m afraid, turn the ship. Accept that you’ll need to maintain three code bases, iOS, Android and Web. Everyone does that. Maybe in the future a single framework will work, but that time has not come yet.

For the time being I have stopped the automatic renewal of my subscription.

• Like 1

5 分鐘前, Rob van Vliet說:

I’m a paying user since 2009. I have 29.947 notes. But I seriously doubt whether I’m going to hit 30 K. I’m screwed.

And, I’m afraid, turn the ship. Accept that you’ll need to maintain three code bases, iOS, Android and Web. Everyone does that. Maybe in the future a single framework will work, but that time has not come yet.

I also stopped the automatic renewal to seek alternatives, even though no single app can replace and combination of several note-taking apps and paper notebooks is still better than using Evernote alone.

I have issues on my iPad 

The app is jittery  Doesn’t lock and unlock properly 

the character disappear as I type doesn’t suggest most recent notebook 

the count for notes in a book or tag are gone

I must be in top 100 Evernote fans. I built my digital life around this product, the most reliable piece of software I’ve used.

So yeah. This iOS version is a disgrace. It tells me management doesn’t use Evernote, in the sense they don’t rely on it. They don’t know what it is. They believed a better editor and search auto completion were all what users expected. And so they proudly pushed the update button.

If management was relying on Evernote, there is 0% chance they would have greenlighted this bugged beta version. 0%. Because this update makes Evernote on iOS unusable. It takes one hour to realize it. The fact management  didn’t feel ashamed to release this bugged mess, sadly makes me understand they have no real idea what Evernote is, and who their core customers are 😕

Don’t get me wrong, I see good things in that version. At one point it could be better than what we had. But not in that state. Not now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 分鐘前, Odrea marc說:

I must be in top 100 Evernote fans. I built my digital life around this product, the most reliable piece of software I’ve used.

So yeah. This iOS version is a disgrace. It tells me management doesn’t use Evernote, in the sense they don’t rely on it. They don’t know what it is. They believed a better editor and search auto completion were all what users expected. And so they proudly pushed the update button.

If management was relying on Evernote, there is 0% chance they would have greenlighted this bugged beta version. 0%. Because this update makes Evernote on iOS unusable. It takes one hour to realize it. One hour. The fact management  didn’t feel ashamed to release this bugged mess, sadly makes me understand they have no real idea what Evernote is, and who their core customers are 😕

Don’t get me wrong, I see good things in that version. At one point it could be better than what we had. But not in that state. Not now. 

Yes, they don't use Evernote. They don't integrate Evernote into their career life. They don't think and try how building Evernote can help their productivity and business. For them Evernote is just a product and they have already made it to customers.

If that is the case, I can't find any reason to continue using it. When I start trying Notion I can see what they are doing, and they are improving within two months, compared to EN which claimed they had built up an improved version for two years but finally unusable apps.

There are still big advantages and improvements of v10.0, but this release with the response of the company would make much more customers give up EN than when v8.0 launched.

If they really care about customers, they should have already put back v8.24.6 to the App Store or roll out v10.0.1 and even v10.0.2. They just say fix soon and even MacOS will be released soon.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob van Vliet said:

I've also been using and paying for it for this long and it's the first time I really consider abandoning the service.

I've had a bad feeling about the Electron foundation from the start and it seems that it's actually worse than even optimists imagined.

Most of the issues reported here, in addition to the overwhelmingly negative reactions on Twitter or Reddit, can be associated with Electron based apps (slow/sluggish, huge CPU usage, missing platform features/integration). 

The fact that they won't turn the ship back to more native platform solutions is the biggest issue for me. 

• Sad 1

7 小時前, Chris_W說:

I've also been using and paying for it for this long and it's the first time I really consider abandoning the service.

I've had a bad feeling about the Electron foundation from the start and it seems that it's actually worse than even optimists imagined.

Most of the issues reported here, in addition to the overwhelmingly negative reactions on Twitter or Reddit, can be associated with Electron based apps (slow/sluggish, huge CPU usage, missing platform features/integration). 

The fact that they won't turn the ship back to more native platform solutions is the biggest issue for me. 

I remember when v8.0 was launched, there were some dissatisfaction but Evernote kept updating to minimise the negative effect as much as possible. (v8.0.1, v8.0.2, v8.0.3...until v8.0.6 every two to three days at first if I am not wrong)

But now after four days since the roll out and the blog posts, they remain quiet besides the staff's response to individual customers.

When the Behind the Scene was on YouTube, I did feel some hope on the company, but when they were quiet for long these years I felt they had to communicate more (the ETA of when the update will be released). Now the update has become a big crisis, the biggest ever, and this is telling us Ian Small as a CEO is a completely false hope, that he doesn't handle the crisis and the problem well.

Thus I won't have any confidence on how version 10 will be fixed. If version 8 has been improved 80% then v10 for less than 50%.

I may have missed that but no drag and drop files in iPadOS between other apps and Evernote?

What is striking me is that it has been more than 5 days now since the release and there is nothing in the App store showing up so far. No version 10.0.1 or 10.0.2 or 10.0.3 etc to address the multiple issues that million of PAID users are facing now. 

Communication is disastrous and inexistant after  CEO Ian Small being present during his “Behind the Scenes Series” spreading us with future of “Stability” and “good foundation”.

Where is all that today? And more important: where is he when the ship is sinking!?! Is he not the Captain of the boat last time I checked? Or will he swiftly as most CEO do shift the blame on a poor coder in EN building who knew better IOS v10 wasn’t ready for prime but was push by management anyway because hey! that’s what management do: push from high up down to bottom because they can regardless.

They stick they finger up in the wind and hope for the best. And when things go sideways as most of the time they surely do someone or some people down on the line will take the blame. And the management above will be quick to shift their anger towards the poor guy (or gal). 

Well Mr Ian Small sorry to say but you are indeed a very SMALL ceo.

I rest my case.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Lesicaire said:

Someone once told me attack the problem not the person.  This is a bit too personal in my view.   

That being said I hope he shows up soon though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lesicaire said:

when the ship is sinking!?!

Don't panic - The ship is not sinking (yet)   
There's some leaks that need plugging; the crew is taking care of this

16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Don't panic - The ship is not sinking (yet)   
There's some leaks that need plugging; the crew is taking care of this

this is a crew that has, consistently over a number of years, shown itself exceptionally poor at plugging leaks... and that aside from the fact that a more important task should be avoiding leaks in the first place. The point is more the continuing attrition of confidence in your product, brought on and sustained by repeated failures, missed expectations and just crazy decisions leading to the release of substandard versions. Whilst the hard working 'salt of the earth' teams are beavering away 'plugging leaks' as you say, the customers are walking away; and right now.

Brutally, note-taking is not that complex. Evernote have made a simple product so complex and hard (for them) to manage, that it doesn't even do the basics well. That is fundamental breakdown, and shows mis-management all the way to the top. It isn't about fixing bugs... this is a product and a company on a trajectory to failure. Until that is acknowledged, there is no hope that it will be turned around.

I've had 4 sync conflicts today, so I'm now testing out other products.

I tend to disagree. I do think that making a good note taking and archiving app is very complex. That convinces me even more that the ship is really sinking. The decision to use a web abstraction layer to reduce coding effort will not work (yet). It was chosen to be able to support all devices with as less devs as possible.

So, a complex product like Evernote needs quite some capital to spend to survive. Looks like we have reached the bottom of the money pit.

That is unfortunate. I have tried to move to other product, but none is as good as the previous Evernote.

8 minutes ago, Rob van Vliet said:

The decision to use a web abstraction layer to reduce coding effort will not work (yet).

I'm not overly concerned about the IOS or Web platforms    
But apprehensive for the Windows and Mac platforms

I had the Mac Beta. Worked quite well for my needs.  Really surprised with all iOS bugs. I use more iOS versions than Mac. 

11 小時前, Lesicaire說:

What is striking me is that it has been more than 5 days now since the release and there is nothing in the App store showing up so far. No version 10.0.1 or 10.0.2 or 10.0.3 etc to address the multiple issues that million of PAID users are facing now. 

Communication is disastrous and inexistant after  CEO Ian Small being present during his “Behind the Scenes Series” spreading us with future of “Stability” and “good foundation”.

Where is all that today? And more important: where is he when the ship is sinking!?! Is he not the Captain of the boat last time I checked? Or will he swiftly as most CEO do shift the blame on a poor coder in EN building who knew better IOS v10 wasn’t ready for prime but was push by management anyway because hey! that’s what management do: push from high up down to bottom because they can regardless.

They stick they finger up in the wind and hope for the best. And when things go sideways as most of the time they surely do someone or some people down on the line will take the blame. And the management above will be quick to shift their anger towards the poor guy (or gal). 

I rest my case.

What is funny is that on Twitter you can see Ian Small just posted his blog article since 16 Sept and nothing else, Evernote still shows off the new features on iOS, and replies to some users that MacOS version is coming very soon. What I see is the support team is trying their best to answer users' issues, and nothing else. Where is Ian Small? Where are the management and product team members? They make me feel that they tend to ignore the problems.

As one of the support member replied to my mail that, he couldn't solve my issue personally. I totally agree with him and I think he has done more than enough. The whole company should be responsible for the unusable product. But when Ian Small and other related people are hiding behind, I realize this company will never grow.

Ignorance will lead to the mighty fall. There should still be supporters on v10.0 amid the buggy product, but there will be other events / crises leading to lose more and more customers. This time is the worst ever compared to version 8.0 and privacy policy controversy.

Sorry. I miss Chris O'Neill. He at least responded to the issues very quickly and admitted that he did make a mistake.

1952407614_EvernoteCameraRoll20161222235251.thumb.png.9a66d12ae2894ab912590b013ad684d2.png

32 minutes ago, Alvin C said:

Where is Ian Small?

My expecrarion is Ian is doing corporate management stuff     
I don't see his role as a developer, or support staff