Bugs on version 10 of iOS

On 10/22/2020 at 9:48 AM, Kolmir said:

I tried this. Answer I got was: you pay for support not features... 

That answer is a lie hidden (see answer from below) but still unworkable (see 2nd answer from below; often opening the pdf just gets a spinning cursor; if the pdf does open, it's halfway off-screen and you can't move it).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, kaycee said:

I created one new note and updated an old note yesterday on my PC. Today, the EDIT button appears on those notes and continue to appear on notes created in iOS. However, all other notes created previously (regardless of platform) are still VIEW ONLY. 

I’m not sure I want to “edit” all previously created notes to activate EDIT on iOS. 
Is this a bug??? I may do some testing later. 😔

PROBLEM SOLVED, Don't know how or why - as follows.

It is now 9 hours later and I have edited a handful of notes from my Win10 PC EN on Chrome Browser. I opened a few existing notes individually, and added a "space". I did this via the EN Web front end. I then opened the EN iOS app 10.1 (which I had updated yesterday), and voila, I could EDIT not only the ones that I updated from my PC, but all other notes (as far as I can see so far). The green VIEW ONLY icon on all (I hope) my notes is now a BLUE EDIT icon. YAY!!! 

I had previously tried the SYNC NOW function from my phone but that did not make any difference even when the message was SYNC COMPLETE.

I did not do anything else to the iOS app. I am rather confused but very happy that the iOS app is working per normal (with new GUI).

Thank you everyone who offered suggestions. I apologise in advance that I am no more enlightened as to what caused the EDIT/VIEW ONLY issue that I outlined above, and how to fix it. Maybe @PinkElephant is correct, it is patience that is required. But goodness! Lucky for me, iOS EN is important for me but not critical. I feel sorry for those who are much more dependent on iOS EN. 

(I failed to mention that I normally use the EN web GUI from a Chrome Browser on my Win10 PC. I only use the Win10PC desktop client for making version backups of my notes.)

test note.jpg

i had this issue on IOS. Vexing to to say the least. I find the instructions on https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005587-Annotate-images-and-PDFs vague and presumptuous. It would appear we are to press and hold the pdf with our finger, then and ONLY THEN will the option to annotate appear. I don't recall the last version behaving in such a manner and the current documentation doesn't quite gel with the current version of the software...no matter. I fixed t. 

• Like 1

According to these instructions, resizing images is only available on Mac. If, like me, you used to use your iPad for annotation, this is now virtually impossible.   Images sometimes appear impossibly small and the tools are impossibly large, annotating is like a horse trying perform microsurgery.  

Also, the tools remain clunky and unintuitive.   

Evernote still have a long way to go to make this anywhere close to usable. 🙁

• Like 2

Indeed not usable any longer. I used to do a lot of annotation of PDFs on my iPad. This is now virtually impossible. You can no longer zoom in or scroll by using two finger gestures. In addition I needed to search for the functionality rely hard. It used to be available by just opening the pdf. Now I need to select the file , select edit file and then open the file to be able to annotate. Great stuff just before an exam I need to take.

• Like 1
  • Search text inside Office docs and PDF — https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313388 says, if I read it correctly, that search no longer works in side EN for OCR'd pdfs and one needs to open each pdf found in the EN search in a separate app and repeat the search there in order to find the one pdf you are looking for. That's entirely unworkable. If it's this way on Mac, I'll never upgrade. Give us the old iOS EN back.
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, humanengr said:
  • Search text inside Office docs and PDF — https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313388 says, if I read it correctly, that search no longer works in side EN for OCR'd pdfs and one needs to open each pdf found in the EN search in a separate app and repeat the search there in order to find the one pdf you are looking for. That's entirely unworkable. If it's this way on Mac, I'll never upgrade. Give us the old iOS EN back.

Apple Notes is somewhat similar, but their capabilities are improving steadily.   OneNote does this pretty well. Evernote????  This is a huge step backward. 

• Like 1

I'd like to add something to this list. Apparently, searching by multiple tags to narrow down a search has been disabled (at least on mobile iOS), and that is heartbreaking.

I have three thousand recipes, meticulously tagged by all ingredients, regional cooking, seasonal cooking, method of cooking (air fryer, ice cream maker, etc), and categories of dishes (quiche, hot beverages, etc). Until the recent new version, I could go to my recipes notebook, look to the upper right corner, and click in multiple tags to narrow down my options.  I used to click: salad + seafood + ginger + Asian cooking. Voila, my three thousand recipes would be reduced to perhaps a half dozen along those lines. Or sweet potato + beer, dark + sausage. Or pears + cardamom + baking, sweets. You get the idea.

Typing in search criteria requires me to remember the exact "spelling" of each tag, instead of typing in a few characters and having it auto-populate. Please don't suggest that I scroll down the lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng list of my tags, while garlic is burning on the stove.

The fact that I can't return to the legacy version on iOS has made my expensive purchase of an iPad now wasted money, since bringing recipes to the kitchen is the main reason I bought the tablet. For years, I longed to be able to edit my recipes as I cook, instead of printing them out on the computer in my office, scribbling notes on paper --then never getting around to transcribing those notes. I *finally* saved up enough to buy the iPad, only to see my huge recipe collection on Evernote get crippled this way.

Why, oh why should we have to give up such a useful feature as searching via multiple tags?? This turns my laboriously-organized Evernote cookbook into a clunky dinosaur.

Major step backwards IMHO.

• Like 1

I HATE this update. It has ruined my experience with Evernote, which I've been using since 2010. Many of my notes (all recipes) are completely broken on iOS. For example, attached is the same note on Evernote desktop (Mac) and on iOS – the formatting in iOS is completely messed up and illegible! Also, tag filtering is completely gone on iOS – why?? I need to be able to sort recipes by more than one tag sometimes. Please bring this feature back! And, no, I don't want to have to type the tags into the search bar; it is much faster and easier to select them from a list. This update is beyond disappointing.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 8.20.28 PM.png

IMG_0028.PNG

Danielle

i totally agree. However Evernote just don’t seem to be listening. We need them to act but they are not even communicating let alone resolving the situation. Perhaps we should start posting comments on social media and IT industry forums. 

• Level 5

If you don’t like it, there is something with more perspective: Hold your money, take your data and move it somewhere else.

EN made a strategic decision probably 2 years ago in which direction to develop. This will not be changed by words of users now, not here and not somewhere else. Either you are able to adapt your workflows, or v10 is simply not build for you.

• Like 1