Home Dashboard Contest

• Level 5

Hello everyone,

We’re so inspired by all the creative ways our customers use Evernote that we've launched a new contest. To participate, just share the "home dashboard" or "homepage" you've created within Evernote. A home dashboard is a central note that you reference when you open Evernote that makes your workflow more efficient or helps you figure out what to do next. We believe your participation will inspire our community to get even more organized in the new year and help us think about new features and capabilities that could benefit everyone in 2020. Plus, you could win cool Evernote swag!

Please be sure to enter your submission by December 17th and ‘Like’ the ones that inspire you. 

This Contest is governed by the Official Rules. By sharing a home dashboard, you are agreeing to the Official Rules.

Contest Rules

• Timing: 
    • The contest will run from Tuesday, 12/3, 7am PST through Tuesday, 12/17, 11:59pm PST
  • Eligibility: US resident
  • Qualifying submission:
    • Post a screenshot of your homepage to this forum 
    • Include a blurb on how you use it
  • Judges:
    • A panel of five Evernote employees (including our CEO and representatives from PM, Design, and Marketing)
  • Categories:
    • Professor of productivity
    • Captain of creativity
    • Everything but the kitchen sink
  • Winners:
    • 3 winners (one in each of the categories above) will be announced in this forum on 12/19
  • Prize:
    • Evernote gear which may include apparel, canvas totes, notebooks, and stickers

Here’s a little inspiration to get you started:

pasted image 0 (1).png

Edit: We've received a lot of questions as to why the contest is restricted to the US. We would have loved to have everyone participate but unfortunately the rules for contests vary greatly by country and within that, by locality within countries. Therefore, it is unfeasible for Evernote to comply with all global regulation required to run a worldwide contest. That said, we greatly value everyone's input and encourage everyone to share their home dashboards!

• Like 6
  • Shane D. featured and pinned this topic
4 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm ineligible for the contest (non-US Resident), but I'll still share1732992268_ScreenShot2019-12-03at7_26_44AM.thumb.png.f06e351f1a0d26fa74f4f210e052db81.png

I use my daily journal note as my home dashboard
It's rebuilt each morning from a template

The template includes info and links for frequently accessed information
This includes Evernote notes, files, web sites, ...

In addition to the links, I also insert screenshots

In the Activities Log, I include checkboxes for daily reminders
and copy my events from the calendars

The calendar section includes links to the calendars/reminders I reference.  I try to make sure my events are included in the first entry, my calendar app

The Tasks section displays my task notes exported to a spreadsheet

I also include a photo from my location.  724196832_ScreenShot2019-12-03at7_27_24AM.png.838c8215da8b676964d9f1b22ea449ab.png
The mountains in the background are the Olympic Mountains in Washington state across the strait

Is any of that information dynamic at all? Or must it be built from scratch, every morning, with a ton of copy/paste actions going on....? I would think it's static, but wow - it looks great regardless. (this is me, taking my little home page I use and kicking it to the curb in shame....hahah). Very nice.

• Like 2

Here is my DashBoard ↓

Note is saved as a shortcut (CTRL+4) and I check it daily to be reminded of multiple tools I have to use for my work. It has links to other notes if I have to drill down to as well as File Links that would open up a spreadsheet. 

ScreenClip.thumb.png.f7c5389166640117782c9918955f1f9e.png

Image.thumb.png.6379de53822e8c4aa0d144032ffaf615.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

How about an anti-dashboard dashboard, just EN itself?  ;) 

I open EN to the Inbox, typically empty, and then with one click can access tags or saved searches for task info (named such that most used are on top of either list), one click the shortcuts across the top, or Ctrl+Q for a dynamic search (sometimes the search bar).  The shortcut Searchz contains a table of medium use searches enacted by a PhraseExpress hotkey, so two clicks to those.  Not elegant or pretty I suppose, but fluid and gets me where I need to get in short order.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.a9ab595023d43ef92bb66bba508c4ae0.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm ineligible for the contest (non-US Resident).

I construct a bunch of notelinks in a dashboard (shortcut : command+1 or ctrl+1) so that I could manage many stuffs like life-log, reading note, information, and so on.

When I click  '#1,800', I could see 1,800 days life log. This is also organized by notelink, so I can reach one specific day for 10seconds with no struggle.

I also tagged my journals like 'family, anniversary, conversation, feedback, friends, achievement'.

This will make me organized 2019 by tags. (screenshot4)

I could see my whole 2019 days as tags. So when I scheme next year, I choose what value is important. 

related posting https://brunch.co.kr/@evernote/30

스크린샷 2019-12-04 오전 9.32.27.png

스크린샷 2019-12-04 오전 9.32.34.png

스크린샷 2019-12-04 오전 9.35.36.png

스크린샷 2019-12-04 오전 9.36.25.png

• Like 8

Use: Daily this gets generated once I arrive at work. Once generated I use it for quick links to notes I use regularly, track tasks I do daily in the morning, get a daily verse from the Bible to read and study, and a beautiful picture. 

additionally, I take random notes at the bottom, which at the end of the day I revisit and generate more detailed notes from my thoughts. 

Automated using Automator AppleScript & Bash

Bible verse, picture are unique daily and are generated from open source API's,

Dashboard.thumb.png.dc9c8ea2a741c76afcfab5092a01b959.png

• Like 5

+1 on shame not applicable for US non-residents, but happy to share...

My Dashboard is within Evernote and I use Filterize.

I capture as much as I can into Evernote, be it handwritten notes, scans, emails, receipts - they all go into my Inbox for processing. I apply tags as part of my routine to clear out the Inbox - Filterize then sorts my notes into the various cells on my Dashboard Table. I check the dashboard daily and then use it for my weekly review.

If I have a busy schedule I just copy and paste my Agenda into the Todays Schedule Cell.

The dashboard is available on all my devices as a shortcut. I tend to do most of my processing on laptop.

image.thumb.png.4989cf384d90f8ca966fc140f236d1e1.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like most people people, I am juggling multiple aspects of my life; career, advancement, school, family, etc.  I have found the Eisenhower method helpful, with a twist.  I use it as my dashboard for GTD and add a side of Kanban.  That way I can see what is coming up and what has been done.  Linking between the notes is the glue to maintain my sanity.  Reminder dates allow me track what is due in the future.  I consider it a compilation of different methods to meet my demands.  

Below is the system I follow to keep current.  I did not create this system, that was from a podcast I heard from Stacey Harmon at https://www.harmonenterprises.com

Let me know what you think.

Get Focused

Task Management - Active v. Reference: To do lists
Either Active v. Waiting for (Reminders)
Project Management - Active v. Reference:  Projects have a defined beginning to end.  Open are active and closed to go reference.  
Consider Active v. Waiting for
Process Management - Active v. Reference: Are an ongoing items that reoccur.  Phone call list, bills
Reference Management - Active v. Reference: Is there really an Active Reference management system?
Either Reference v. Waiting for (i.e. date)
Waiting for - Can be a person, place, date/time.  So maybe the Who, What, where, when why & how should apply here

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 7.02.08 AM.png

• Like 8

Wow, you folks just opened my eyes to how I might solve the problem with which I have been struggling for years.  I use Evernote A LOT, and I have been wishing there was a way for it to be the first thing I open each day and have it guide me through my daily tasks and provide resources for said tasks.  I suffer from a brain injury, and my organizational skills, memory, and processing printed material are quite challenged as a result of the damage.  I tried setting up reminder alerts, but that got too cumbersome and overwhelmed me.  Having a dashboard note seems like an answer to my prayers.  Soooo, how the heck do you create one of these and load in dynamic content like photos?  I know how to use note links and such.  I need some help figuring out just how to do this.  Can someone help me?  THANKS!!!!

• Like 9
  • Level 5*

Wow - some impressive work shown here so far!  I'm also not eligible for the contest as such,  using Evernote on mobile and desktop (Android/ Windows)

My minimalist dashboard is mainly driven by Evernote + Filterize.

1307583288_ScreenClip2small.jpg.8ba4655d61622919c0539884a01bf801.jpg

It’s not clever,  it’s not glossy,  but it does the job.  The ‘buttons’ (like the arrowed 04_soon) are hyperlinked images in a small table which has cells the same colour as the button.  The link goes to another Table of Contents note generated by Filterize from a search:  'what reminders are due in the 7 days from tomorrow?'

I actually made the table twice.  Once with real links in cells,  which I then screen grabbed and chopped apart (in an image editor app) to put a picture of a cell inside an actual cell which was given the same link.  My excuse? - It does give me a larger target for tapping on a mobile device screen,  and it did seem like a good idea at the time.

This table is small enough that it appears in full on my phone screen.  I have a link to the note from my home screen.  It’s all I need to navigate around my 50,000(-ish) note account quickly.

The “01_” style numbering was so I could quickly allocate the tags which generate the sub-dashboards these links call up.  “Lists” is a catchall addition - I can have a dashboard listing more dashboards of the last notes saved in some of my focus notebooks.  There are entries for ‘Evernote’ forinstance for issues and tips,  and ‘photography’ because I take pictures and clip locations and ‘how to’ pages to try out.

The emergency contact entry is so someone can get into my phone in the (hopefully unlikely) event that I get hit by a bus - and so I can get hold of my dentist when I need to.

It’s all driven by either note tags or reminder dates,  triggering listings on dashboards created by Filterize.  So these links actually go to 'dashboards' - Table of Contents notes - which  in some cases are listings of other dashboards of further subsets of notes... 

Look:  it works for me,  OK?  😎

• Like 8
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Corybe said:

Wow, you folks just opened my eyes to how I might solve the problem with which I have been struggling for years.  I use Evernote A LOT, and I have been wishing there was a way for it to be the first thing I open each day and have it guide me through my daily tasks and provide resources for said tasks.  I suffer from a brain injury, and my organizational skills, memory, and processing printed material are quite challenged as a result of the damage.  I tried setting up reminder alerts, but that got too cumbersome and overwhelmed me.  Having a dashboard note seems like an answer to my prayers.  Soooo, how the heck do you create one of these and load in dynamic content like photos?  I know how to use note links and such.  I need some help figuring out just how to do this.  Can someone help me?  THANKS!!!!

Hi.  If a description of my current setup (above) didn't put you off,  I'd say the easy thing to do is to create a new note with a table to hold your content.  If you think you might have more than one level of dashboard,  it may be worth setting up a new notebook for 'dashboard notes' so you keep them together.  Create a general note on one specific topic - say 'daily tasks' and list your tasks so you don't have to remember them.  Get and copy the link to this note.

Then in your top level note,  create an entry that says 'Dailies' and add the link from your 'daily tasks' note.

Repeat the process for health / car / house - whatever other subjects you want to see listings for.

Change the created year of your top level note to something like 2999 so it's always at the top of a created-date-sorted list.  Add a shortcut to this note from your computer and 'phone  desktops.

To add images,  you copy and paste into a table cell.  I'm not sure whether anyone has added 'dynamic' images in terms of ones that change daily - but they'll comment here if that's possible...

Have a look at Filterize - https://filterize.net/ - if you can get your head around it,  the app 'could' dynamically change notes for you,  but you'd have to create the linkages for yourself...

Hope that helps.  Keep asking questions if you want - I'd suggest starting a new topic of your own in the Forums so as not to hijack this competition too much!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Corybe said:

Cory... You're not the only one to get struck with ...WOW !

Shane D's contest was the first I have ran into the term "Dashboard" in Evernote.   I've heard reference to the Home, or Start Page, but I think this is the first I've heard of a Dashboard being in what is apparently fairly popular use; and I've been an Evernote User forever, starting back with the beginning program and there were no mobile apps or paid subscriptions.  In fact, as I'm a Windows & Android user, I'm wondering if maybe this is a Mac phenomenon???

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, JohnOem said:

Cory... You're not the only one to get struck with ...WOW !

Shane D's contest was the first I have ran into the term "Dashboard" in Evernote.   I've heard reference to the Home, or Start Page, but I think this is the first I've heard of a Dashboard being in what is apparently fairly popular use; and I've been an Evernote User forever, starting back with the beginning program and there were no mobile apps or paid subscriptions.  In fact, as I'm a Windows & Android user, I'm wondering if maybe this is a Mac phenomenon???

So the "Dashboard" is in fact a Note, just one formatted for a specific purpose. I personally have a "Dashboard" notebook and a new note is generated everyday with my generated "Dashboard" which is things I look at and need daily.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is a new concept for me in Evernote.  @Atif 's design is amazing!  I just can't figure out how to accomplish that look, let alone that layout!  I have used EN for many years but have also struggled to make in an everyday tool because of the features it lacks at times, but seeing some of these customizable looks makes me think maybe I just didn't know you could do certain things, or that you could accomplish certain looks!  Is there a HOW-TO somewhere out there that can walk someone through a design as comprehensive as @Atif?

• Like 5
1 hour ago, ewbeyer said:

Yeah, this is a new concept for me in Evernote.  @Atif 's design is amazing!  I just can't figure out how to accomplish that look, let alone that layout!  I have used EN for many years but have also struggled to make in an everyday tool because of the features it lacks at times, but seeing some of these customizable looks makes me think maybe I just didn't know you could do certain things, or that you could accomplish certain looks!  Is there a HOW-TO somewhere out there that can walk someone through a design as comprehensive as @Atif?

See attached for dashboards like @Atif

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Terminal said:

So the "Dashboard" is in fact a Note, just one formatted for a specific purpose. I personally have a "Dashboard" notebook and a new note is generated everyday with my generated "Dashboard" which is things I look at and need daily.

Terminal,  Are you a Mac user, or on Windows?    Sayre Ambrosio has a nice looking Dashboard, but I notice he is a Mac user.

4 minutes ago, JohnOem said:

Terminal,  Are you a Mac user, or on Windows?    Sayre Ambrosio has a nice looking Dashboard, but I notice he is a Mac user.

I (she) am a Mac user but it’s super simple to do in windows as well. All I did was custom make images in Canva and stick them in a table. Adding a link to each image to jump to a note and you’re done. 🙂

• Like 1

Shane D.   I think some of us are a little thrown back about the "Dashboard Contest".  I believe "Dashboard" is a common Mac feature, but is foreign to us Windows users.  Perhaps you could post a followup with a little more explanation as to what "Dashboards" are, whether the contest is for just Mac users or all users, etc.  To many of us, like Corybe,  ewbeyer, and myself, this is a new and interesting concept within Evernote.  Thanks

• Like 3
10 hours ago, JohnOem said:

I am a Mac user. But as Sayre said, all this is able to be done on both platforms. "Dashboards" are just regular notes. The only difference is that they are ones people created for a reusable purpose. And spent time on formatting them further.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, JohnOem said:

Shane D.   I think some of us are a little thrown back about the "Dashboard Contest".  I believe "Dashboard" is a common Mac feature, but is foreign to us Windows users.  Perhaps you could post a followup with a little more explanation as to what "Dashboards" are, whether the contest is for just Mac users or all users, etc.  To many of us, like Corybe,  ewbeyer, and myself, this is a new and interesting concept within Evernote.  Thanks

These dashboards are notes.  As such you can view them on any EN app.  Maybe Mac users embrace their creative sides more?  ;)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, JohnOem said:

I believe "Dashboard" is a common Mac feature, but is foreign to us Windows users.

Think of the Dashboard of a car for easy access to information (speed,...)

21 minutes ago, CalS said:

Maybe Mac users embrace their creative sides more?  ;)

Apple users Think Different, also known as The Crazy Ones

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Level 5*
12 hours ago, JohnOem said:

Shane D.   I think some of us are a little thrown back about the "Dashboard Contest".  I believe "Dashboard" is a common Mac feature, but is foreign to us Windows users.

?? "Dashboard" is a common term: https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/dashboard. Your car has a dashboard. Other applications have dashboards that give you a quick overview of what's going on. It's not that difficult a concept to grasp. It is not a Mac vs. Windows thing. In Evernote, it's just a note; you can be as creative, or note in designing it (mine tend to be more prosaic and less flashy).

• Level 5*

I use a few "dashboard" notes for work.  One for all active work that is at the top of my shortcut list and then one for each major project.  These are just bulleted lists of links either to other Evernotes or database links to some applications that we use, or files.  The fanciest I get is adding a horizontal line to separate out areas on the note.  No perty pictures, weather reports, inspirational sayings or even tables for me but having a collection of frequently accessed links, notes and files is VERY helpful to me.  A huge time saver.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

The fanciest I get is adding a horizontal line to separate out areas on the note.

My so-called dashboards are pretty simple, but I did start using tables to do divisions to demarcate things that should be kept separate. This seems to work out better than horizontal rules for me, because I can then have horizontal divisions if need be, rather than only vertical divisions.

• Like 1

while I think the concept of excluding non - US folks is pretty weird, this thread is very help- & insightful. so thank you all for sharing!

after experimenting with a number of things my dashboard ended up being my sidebar with a fair number of shortcuts and saved searches, representing the main processes I use EN for (alright, I admit it, all my digital processes are in EN):

- a GTD ("The Secret Weapon") implementation adapted to my personal needs / experiences on top with direct access to the main categories

- behind the blue box I have saved searches for the main projects I am running (these go across all open actions). this way I can immediately see all actions related to a project across all priorites, essentially a matrixed project view of my open actions.

- on a sidenote: one of these saved searches are notes in open actions that are not slotted into GTD yet (I call them unassigned). this is essentially my inbox.

- last but not least I keep track of my reading lists and other media consumption right here.

sidebar.thumb.png.61482d09f7800c2ebbecab0a1455f357.png

while this works well for me, there is still a *lot* that could be better from my perspective. spaces sounds like a concept that would add a lot of flexibility in structuring my data / my processes. and in general more graphical representation of almost any kind would help (kanban, mindmaps, anything). the UI is getting quite dated and I more and more frequently need to stop myself from the temptation to going to something shinier and more intuitive...

• Like 3

Hi, this is Anshul Kumar once again. I have created a few modifications to my earlier dashboard.

1. Created a table and provided note links for each of the sub-categories
  2. created the link with the TOC for every stack
  3. Thought of the day is static - i keep changing it once a week - working on making this automated
  4. this dashboard can also have your tasks/to-do's but I use Things 3 for that from my weekly planning links
image.thumb.png.560001eea282cff01bcc8ae1b8af0dc7.png

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

• Like 7

@Atif sorry I am not explaining what I mean properly. The column on the RHS called weekly sample seems to be separate from the table with week numbers. I don’t understand how you did that. I must be thick.....I understand the 3 columns for the week numbers.

3 minutes ago, robinnj said:

@Atif sorry I am not explaining what I mean properly. The column on the RHS called weekly sample seems to be separate from the table with week numbers. I don’t understand how you did that. I must be thick.....I understand the 3 columns for the week numbers.

The way @Atif has his stuff set up is a bit confusing if you don't know what you're looking for or at. looking at the image he shared going from left to right you have:

Notebook list > Notes show in Card View > Actual note with content in it

Does that make sense?

3 minutes ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

The way @Atif has his stuff set up is a bit confusing if you don't know what you're looking for or at. looking at the image he shared going from left to right you have:

Notebook list > Notes show in Card View > Actual note with content in it

Does that make sense?

Got it thanks

• Like 1

I don't really care what the concept is called.  "Dashboard" is fairly intuitive for the reasons listed.  What I need is a step-by-step procedure so I can do this for myself.  I'd like dynamic content to break up text-only content.  I'd like my Google Calendar to load. I know how to set up a note for tasks and checklists to link to, but how do I get those to pre-populate the proper area in the dashboard/control center/daily brain/whatever we call it.  I know that this might seem pretty rudimentary, but such is the nature of my brain injury.  I have real difficulty putting concepts into steps.  So, if we need to set up a separate forum for those of us who want to create a dashboard but don't have a clue how to do so, that is fine.  Clearly it is a new concept to many of us!

• Like 4

Great convo folks and thanks for the kudos. 

A few points to clarify about my Evernote usage. 

• I use Evernote on my mac, windows, android phone and iPad. Hence, it is interoperable across all devices and form factors. 
  • A dashboard for me is a notebook, not a note. I call it 'Weekly'.
  • Each week is represented as a single note in the notebook. 
  • I use a single color coded metric (Good, Average, Bad) week based on a qualitative assessment at the end of each week. 
  • At the end of the year, I just count the number of good, average and bad weeks and thats about it. 
  • Infact, I keep an active counter, incremented weekly. Its the first thing you will notice on each note. e.g. '[G] 15 [A] 23 [ B ] 11' . 
  • My mantra is to get some really good weeks in a year, those will have a greater impact and ensure your bad weeks are contained or spaced out. Thats it!
  • The most important thing for me is to track recent weeks and what small changes or nudges i can do in my life to recover from bad and average weeks and get to atleast one good week a month.
  • Its similar to Seinfield's don't break the chain concept but applied on weeks instead of individual habits. 
  • I have decided to format each week (each note) as a single column long table to make it nicely formatted and scrollable on mobile, nothing else.
  • I achieve the above views through built in Evernote layout options on desktops (both mac and windows) 
  • The view consists of three columns, the middle column is changed to card view and sorted alphabetically in descending order Note that this is Evernote's application layout, not an individual note's layout. @robinnj
  • Each card ends with a picture of a coloured square which Evernote automatically picks up as the card picture in the middle column (Evernote layout). 
  • The middle column's width is adjustable with drag and drop, at the expense of the note's width.
  • This is not a problem since I am already using a single column note and can accomodate squeezing the note to make more room for the middle column.
  • I also use a set of tightly controlled tags and saved searches to keep me 'in the flow'. 
  • 've been evolving this system since 2016, all on Evernote (<:3) and have become better at practicing my own system with inspiration from David Allen's GTD, 'The One Thing', 'Atomic Habits', 'The Habit Loop', ''The Secret Weapon GTD', etc and above all this article from Scott Adams. 
  • Too bad this is a US only thread, could get some Evernote love here in Down Under (that's Australia for the uninitiated).. 
  • Thanks @Sayre Ambrosio for answering @robinnj correctly. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Corybe said:

I don't really care what the concept is called.  "Dashboard" is fairly intuitive for the reasons listed.  What I need is a step-by-step procedure so I can do this for myself.  I'd like dynamic content to break up text-only content.  I'd like my Google Calendar to load. I know how to set up a note for tasks and checklists to link to, but how do I get those to pre-populate the proper area in the dashboard/control center/daily brain/whatever we call it.  I know that this might seem pretty rudimentary, but such is the nature of my brain injury.  I have real difficulty putting concepts into steps.  So, if we need to set up a separate forum for those of us who want to create a dashboard but don't have a clue how to do so, that is fine.  Clearly it is a new concept to many of us!

I imagine dynamic content to be added via Evernote APIs (programming / developing it yourself). More on Evernote's developer pages

Thanks for the info, Gazumped. I looked at Filterize.  Here's my concern.  One of the greatest things I value about Evernote is their absolute and unwavering committment to the security and privacy of all of my content.  Nobody can access it but me (not even their awesome staff).  I looked at Filterize, and it looks like I would lose that security by allowing someone other than Evernote to access my content.  Can you speak to that concern since you use Filterize?

Thanks for the details, Atif.  How you create each week's box is clear.  How do you create the content in the Week Sample?  I am a bit confused since it changes between your 6 screenshots.

Thanks a bunch!

3 hours ago, Corybe said:

Thanks for the info, Gazumped. I looked at Filterize.  Here's my concern.  One of the greatest things I value about Evernote is their absolute and unwavering committment to the security and privacy of all of my content.  Nobody can access it but me (not even their awesome staff).  I looked at Filterize, and it looks like I would lose that security by allowing someone other than Evernote to access my content.  Can you speak to that concern since you use Filterize?

Thanks for the details, Atif.  How you create each week's box is clear.  How do you create the content in the Week Sample?  I am a bit confused since it changes between your 6 screenshots.

Thanks a bunch!

The content, is in the video I posted a little above in this thread. Its a single column table with multiple rows. He changes the colors of some cells, then just types in them as normal. Insert check boxes, changing text color etc.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Corybe said:

Thanks a bunch!

oh sorry for not making the screenshots clear. The content is not changing, its just a very long table that doesn't fit in one screen and need to be scrolled down. Notice the scrollbar on the extreme right in each screenshot. 

1 hour ago, ej8899 said:

Have to disqualify myself right out of the gate as I'm Canadian... but... here's my current dashboard note. 

As you can see, it is setup with basically just a slew of 'note links' - I wanted it to be mobile device friendly too so no wide table columns where I would have issues with scrolling left/right too to get to notes - so the two left columns are the high important items that I can scroll and tap on with mobile devices.

I have a basic image banner on the top of the page (I do this with a lot of other 'master notes' as well - just to add some splash of color/etc), then a basic 3 column table with some note links - each of those note links are for a master note too - I run everything from my grocery list to major multi million dollar project management out of evernote and the bulk of it starts right here  (well, main work stuff has it's own dashboard).

Example: my "scuba" entry under reference get's me into my scuba diver "log book" - which is a master note showing me all my current scuba diving certifications, planned certifications, tasks (rescue course re-certifications), and a link out to my scuba diving travel ideas note.   Of course, my scuba log book master note wouldn't be complete without a link to my scuba diving log book - with details and photos from every dive - and yes, this is all in Evernote too.

Evernote also is a CRM for me - so you can see a few people listed under "Important" - I have another master note that breaks down my people based on friends, professional, business, etc.  Significant actions with "people" get tagged with their name and a "-chronology" suffix (ie ejohn-chronology) - my CRM section assembles all those notes into a chronological list so when I drill down to the person in the CRM (or the main dashboard) I get a chronological list of my communications with that person - and even other reference notes that I may have tagged with their info (ie assigned work projects, home projects, etc).  

Anyway, I could go on  and on about this, but shall cut my rambling short here.  Let me know if you have questions on more of my setup or want some 'secondary' master page photos. 

2126672026_evernote-currentdashboardnote2019-12-08.thumb.png.990bbb105671d7237925585f3cf6def9.png   

You've inspired me enough to where I am updating my Dashboard template/scripts to incorporate emojis :D 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Terminal said:

You've inspired me enough to where I am updating my Dashboard template/scripts to incorporate emojis :D 

I might have a gone a bit "overkill" with the emoji's - but then, my eyes are drawn to the specific things I need when I do open the dashboard note, so they definitely help. 

Mine is certainly not the most fancy, but I created a ToC (table of contents) for my most frequently used notes. 

I use this on my android devices, web interface on Linux, and full client on windows and mac. 

When I built this, I opted for easy thumb scroll ability, so I made it narrow and long rather than landscape. 

Screenshot_Evernote_20191217-122358.png

Edited by nowell29
cleaner screenshot
  • Like 2
On 12/4/2019 at 6:00 PM, Terminal said:

How do you have a new note generate every day with the tasks and things you need? Does it delete the old note? Do you have a notebook full of day old notes going back for months or years? How do you keep it organized?

On 8/12/2019 at 13:11, ej8899 dijo:

Have to disqualify myself right out of the gate as I'm Canadian... but... here's my current dashboard note. 

As you can see, it is setup with basically just a slew of 'note links' - I wanted it to be mobile device friendly too so no wide table columns where I would have issues with scrolling left/right too to get to notes - so the two left columns are the high important items that I can scroll and tap on with mobile devices.

I have a basic image banner on the top of the page (I do this with a lot of other 'master notes' as well - just to add some splash of color/etc), then a basic 3 column table with some note links - each of those note links are for a master note too - I run everything from my grocery list to major multi million dollar project management out of evernote and the bulk of it starts right here  (well, main work stuff has it's own dashboard).

Example: my "scuba" entry under reference get's me into my scuba diver "log book" - which is a master note showing me all my current scuba diving certifications, planned certifications, tasks (rescue course re-certifications), and a link out to my scuba diving travel ideas note.   Of course, my scuba log book master note wouldn't be complete without a link to my scuba diving log book - with details and photos from every dive - and yes, this is all in Evernote too.

Evernote also is a CRM for me - so you can see a few people listed under "Important" - I have another master note that breaks down my people based on friends, professional, business, etc.  Significant actions with "people" get tagged with their name and a "-chronology" suffix (ie ejohn-chronology) - my CRM section assembles all those notes into a chronological list so when I drill down to the person in the CRM (or the main dashboard) I get a chronological list of my communications with that person - and even other reference notes that I may have tagged with their info (ie assigned work projects, home projects, etc).  

Anyway, I could go on  and on about this, but shall cut my rambling short here.  Let me know if you have questions on more of my setup or want some 'secondary' master page photos. 

2126672026_evernote-currentdashboardnote2019-12-08.thumb.png.990bbb105671d7237925585f3cf6def9.png

Thought I'd update my post and show a 'secondary' dashboard - this one shows up when I click 'health' on the main dashboard.    All those other links on the primary go to a second 'dashboard' note like this one - just related to the topic instead:

994431164_healthdashboard.thumb.png.8d441c62a65156016a6a9d1f28085851.png

Love your setup. I will use your guidelines. Please, publish more images. Thanks

I'm non eligible for a contest and I wouldn't even know how to participate in the contest. I've seen the contributions and read the discussion, but I still have no clue how to set up a Dashboard like the ones presented here. From what I understood, Dashboards are notes with a structure (roughly a particular arrangement of table columns) and embedded links to other notes, right? But what if I want to monitor not only particular notes, but notebooks? As far as I know it's not possible to link notebooks, is it?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, merman said:

I'm non eligible for a contest and I wouldn't even know how to participate in the contest. I've seen the contributions and read the discussion, but I still have no clue how to set up a Dashboard like the ones presented here. From what I understood, Dashboards are notes with a structure (roughly a particular arrangement of table columns) and embedded links to other notes, right? But what if I want to monitor not only particular notes, but notebooks? As far as I know it's not possible to link notebooks, is it?

No it isn't possible to link to other notebooks with Evernote "as-is".  A popular third party service a lot of us use is called "Filterize.net".  You could utilize their service to automatically generate a table of contents list of every note in a particular notebook if you wanted (these table of content lists can be generated with any type of Evernote search). 

merman, you are correct.  These "dashboards" are just notes with tables and careful formatting.  I favorite the note, and on my phone I make a shortcut to it on my home screen.  You're desire for notebook-links is the same as just about all of us.  I'm sure it'll come eventually.  

• Like 1
On 12/4/2019 at 1:16 PM, Joe Leondike said:

Like most people people, I am juggling multiple aspects of my life; career, advancement, school, family, etc.  I have found the Eisenhower method helpful, with a twist.  I use it as my dashboard for GTD and add a side of Kanban.  That way I can see what is coming up and what has been done.  Linking between the notes is the glue to maintain my sanity.  Reminder dates allow me track what is due in the future.  I consider it a compilation of different methods to meet my demands.  

Below is the system I follow to keep current.  I did not create this system, that was from a podcast I heard from Stacey Harmon at https://www.harmonenterprises.com

Let me know what you think.

Get Focused

Task Management - Active v. Reference: To do lists
Either Active v. Waiting for (Reminders)
Project Management - Active v. Reference:  Projects have a defined beginning to end.  Open are active and closed to go reference.  
Process Management - Active v. Reference: Are an ongoing items that reoccur.  Phone call list, bills
Reference Management - Active v. Reference: Is there really an Active Reference management system?
Either Reference v. Waiting for (i.e. date)
Waiting for - Can be a person, place, date/time.  So maybe the Who, What, where, when why & how should apply here

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 7.02.08 AM.png

The Eisenhower matrix is indeed a very clear template for a Dashboard note. But how does the 'Get focused' section work? Are these links, too? Or just a checklist to remind you of what to focus on?

• Like 1
On 12/5/2019 at 2:45 AM, Sayre Ambrosio said:

This is the dashboard that I have in the community notebook that I keep. Clicking the different "tiles" takes you that section of the notebook.

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 6.43.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 6.43.45 PM.png

looks more like a website to me...wouldn't meet my needs in keeping track of specific 'next actions' e.g.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, merman said:

looks more like a website to me...wouldn't meet my needs in keeping track of specific 'next actions' e.g.

Good thing about this thread are the examples.  So take the best ideas and roll your own.  Have fun doing it.

• Like 1
On 12/5/2019 at 5:29 AM, Sayre Ambrosio said:

I (she) am a Mac user but it’s super simple to do in windows as well. All I did was custom make images in Canva and stick them in a table. Adding a link to each image to jump to a note and you’re done. 🙂

Would love to see the second layer behind the dashboard. Are there notes listed in table of contents?

1 hour ago, merman said:

The Eisenhower matrix is indeed a very clear template for a Dashboard note. But how does the 'Get focused' section work? Are these links, too? Or just a checklist to remind you of what to focus on?

They are a simple reminder of how to focus. A project has beginning and a defined end point. A process is on going with repeatable functions. For example completing my 2020 Federal Taxes will be a project. I need to capture all the required documents and finalize it. My monthly electric bill is an ongoing and a process for management. So they are handled differently. I hope this helps

On 12/5/2019 at 9:40 PM, toao said:

while I think the concept of excluding non - US folks is pretty weird, this thread is very help- & insightful. so thank you all for sharing!

after experimenting with a number of things my dashboard ended up being my sidebar with a fair number of shortcuts and saved searches, representing the main processes I use EN for (alright, I admit it, all my digital processes are in EN):

- a GTD ("The Secret Weapon") implementation adapted to my personal needs / experiences on top with direct access to the main categories

- behind the blue box I have saved searches for the main projects I am running (these go across all open actions). this way I can immediately see all actions related to a project across all priorites, essentially a matrixed project view of my open actions.

- on a sidenote: one of these saved searches are notes in open actions that are not slotted into GTD yet (I call them unassigned). this is essentially my inbox.

- last but not least I keep track of my reading lists and other media consumption right here.

sidebar.thumb.png.61482d09f7800c2ebbecab0a1455f357.png

while this works well for me, there is still a *lot* that could be better from my perspective. spaces sounds like a concept that would add a lot of flexibility in structuring my data / my processes. and in general more graphical representation of almost any kind would help (kanban, mindmaps, anything). the UI is getting quite dated and I more and more frequently need to stop myself from the temptation to going to something shinier and more intuitive...

interesting! the Open Actions are the same as Next Actions in GTD-terminology, I guess. But how do you make them come from different projects into this very notebook?

On 12/8/2019 at 6:11 PM, ej8899 said:

Thought I'd update my post and show a 'secondary' dashboard - this one shows up when I click 'health' on the main dashboard.    All those other links on the primary go to a second 'dashboard' note like this one - just related to the topic instead:

994431164_healthdashboard.thumb.png.8d441c62a65156016a6a9d1f28085851.png

I'm definitely impressed by your mastery in master notes. The cascading of master note is a mesmerizing approach and key to any dashboard design, I guess. But it takes a lot of thinking beforehand, doesn't it? Worth a try for a complete Evernote relaunch over Christmas maybe 😄

I am another one of those Evernote long time users who has no idea that a dashboard was out there.  My life is run by the email I get each morning from Evernote with those notes that have reminders scheduled for that day.  Would love to become more proficient at Evernote - Mac user and not technically gifted if you know what I mean

to a small degree, the name "Dashboard" is a bit misleading.  It is not a feature, its a chosen way to optimizing what you already have, a tool, a method, per se.  Have a look around in the forums and even Reddit for "Table of Contents", or "toc"

This approach is something that has helped me and my ADD ;) 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, merman said:

Would love to see the second layer behind the dashboard. Are there notes listed in table of contents?

There were and will be again lol. I am in the process of getting it ready for 2020 so everything behind the dashboard is kind of half done at the moment. I'll share as soon as I get that sorted.

4 hours ago, merman said:

I'm definitely impressed by your mastery in master notes. The cascading of master note is a mesmerizing approach and key to any dashboard design, I guess. But it takes a lot of thinking beforehand, doesn't it? Worth a try for a complete Evernote relaunch over Christmas maybe 😄

No real pre-planning required - it can build, grow and adjust as you want to add to it.  

The "dashboard" note is merely a spot for extra shortcuts if a person wants to think of them that way. 
And as your collection of notes "grows" you can simply add shortcuts (links to new notes into it).

For example, when I first added "fitness" into my main dashboard page, it was a one page note that just had a couple of goals - lose 20 pounds, improve on my cardio, etc.    I added a few lines to show my (then failed) attempts at weight loss into that one page.

Then, 6 months ago, I got serious about my fitness - the fitness note then had to split off to adjust for my changes - and now I have a link out to fitness journaling items, my body and weight composition reports, fitness goals, fitness challenges and snapshots of my daily workout plans.    There were no changes to the main dashboard page, the the second "fitness" page, merely changed to accommodate the extra links.    What really happened was that "fitness" note simply turned into a second "dashboard" page - solely about my fitness level.

Similar happened to my "scuba" notes - I had a simple note that showed by current diver certification and a basic list of dives to date.  Last winter I decided to ramp up my training, take some extra courses, more certifications and do a lot more diving - again - that one "scuba" page morphed out into the related categories - "certifications", "dive log",  ":gear I own", etc.

No extra planning was really required - it just grows.

Hope that helps a bit, let me know if you have some questions.  

22 hours ago, merman said:

interesting! the Open Actions are the same as Next Actions in GTD-terminology, I guess. But how do you make them come from different projects into this very notebook?

yes, it is GTD. I have started with the implementation from "the secret weapon" and have adapted it a little to my needs after a few years...not sure I understand your last question, but maybe an example helps....most things with multiple tasks (notes) qualify as projecst. say I have two projects: project 1 & project 2, then some notes could have the following tags:

- note 1 with the tags: 1-now, project 1

- note 2 with the tags: 6-waiting, project 1

- note 3 with the tags: 3-later, project 1

now with the shortcut of "tag:"1-now"" I would see only note 1 along with all other tasks for now, however with the saved search looking for all notes in open actions with the tag:"project 1", I would get all three and thus a view into my open actions related to the project. does that answer your question?

I revisit my dashboard occasionally and add new links and content. One thing that would be nice is to have links to folders similar to notes. I know I can create a shareable link and embed that which would take me to the web version, but I would prefer it be internal to the Windows or Anderoid app, like Note links.

My workaround is to have an empty note in these folders and create an internal link to that note. Not very elegant, but it works. 

On 12/4/2019 at 12:24 PM, gazumped said:

The ‘buttons’ (like the arrowed 04_soon) are hyperlinked images

I actually made the table twice.  Once with real links in cells,  which I then screen grabbed and chopped apart (in an image editor app) to put a picture of a cell inside an actual cell which was given the same link.  My excuse? - It does give me a larger target for tapping on a mobile device screen,  and it did seem like a good idea at the time.

How do you hyperlink an image?  I tried creating a dashboard but, like you, I wanted a large enough image to click on when using my phone, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to add a link to an image.. and yet I know Evernote can do it because some of the pages I clip have linked images.

6 minutes ago, lisec said:

How do you hyperlink an image?  I tried creating a dashboard but, like you, I wanted a large enough image to click on when using my phone, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to add a link to an image.. and yet I know Evernote can do it because some of the pages I clip have linked images.

YES!  I figured it out. You can't right-click on the image because that will not give you the option to add a hyperlink. But if you select the image and use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+K you can add a link.  Doing the happy dance!

• Like 3

I just started using my dashboard recently so it's a work in progress.  I keep alternating between a "bullet"-style journal, but sometimes I get annoyed having to set up weekly pages.  So I created this Dashboard template.  I have notes in various places but this is my summary page; everything for this week gets copied here so I can view my week and tasks at a glance.

2019-12-16_11-34-46.jpg

• Like 4
  • Level 5

Hi All,

Thank you so much for all of your excellent home dashboard submissions!

This is just a reminder that the last day to submit is tomorrow, December 17th.

Also, if you're interested in learning about how to build a home dashboard yourself, you may find this webinar useful:

https://events.evernote.com/events/details/evernote-webinars-virtual-events-presents-webinar-how-to-create-an-evernote-dashboard/

As always, let me know if you have any other questions, and please keep sharing you're amazing dashboard ideas!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi All,

Thank you so much for all of your excellent home dashboard submissions!

This is just a reminder that the last day to submit is tomorrow, December 17th.

Also, if you're interested in learning about how to build a home dashboard yourself, you may find this webinar useful:

https://events.evernote.com/events/details/evernote-webinars-virtual-events-presents-webinar-how-to-create-an-evernote-dashboard/

As always, let me know if you have any other questions, and please keep sharing you're amazing dashboard ideas!

I have a question. Can we get the ability to make pictures smaller than Evernote currently allows? I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting small 'icons' at the top of 2nd level dashboard pages, especially a 'home' type button that is a link to the main dashboard (or other most used links).  Currently Evernote has a minimim size (at least in Windows) and it's way too big!  (the tiny pictures of the checkmark in a box and the $ next to it are Windows emojis. They work but they are a bit too small to hit on the phone.

image.thumb.png.e66e6d207e40ff985d6fc224435c0ce1.png

• Like 1
On 12/7/2019 at 3:30 AM, Atif said:

Great convo folks and thanks for the kudos. 

A few points to clarify about my Evernote usage. 

• I use Evernote on my mac, windows, android phone and iPad. Hence, it is interoperable across all devices and form factors. 
  • A dashboard for me is a notebook, not a note. I call it 'Weekly'.
  • Each week is represented as a single note in the notebook. 
  • I use a single color coded metric (Good, Average, Bad) week based on a qualitative assessment at the end of each week. 
  • At the end of the year, I just count the number of good, average and bad weeks and thats about it. 
  • Infact, I keep an active counter, incremented weekly. Its the first thing you will notice on each note. e.g. '[G] 15 [A] 23 [ B ] 11' . 
  • My mantra is to get some really good weeks in a year, those will have a greater impact and ensure your bad weeks are contained or spaced out. Thats it!
  • The most important thing for me is to track recent weeks and what small changes or nudges i can do in my life to recover from bad and average weeks and get to atleast one good week a month.
  • Its similar to Seinfield's don't break the chain concept but applied on weeks instead of individual habits. 
  • I have decided to format each week (each note) as a single column long table to make it nicely formatted and scrollable on mobile, nothing else.
  • I achieve the above views through built in Evernote layout options on desktops (both mac and windows) 
  • The view consists of three columns, the middle column is changed to card view and sorted alphabetically in descending order Note that this is Evernote's application layout, not an individual note's layout. @robinnj
  • Each card ends with a picture of a coloured square which Evernote automatically picks up as the card picture in the middle column (Evernote layout). 
  • The middle column's width is adjustable with drag and drop, at the expense of the note's width.
  • This is not a problem since I am already using a single column note and can accomodate squeezing the note to make more room for the middle column.
  • I also use a set of tightly controlled tags and saved searches to keep me 'in the flow'. 
  • 've been evolving this system since 2016, all on Evernote (<:3) and have become better at practicing my own system with inspiration from David Allen's GTD, 'The One Thing', 'Atomic Habits', 'The Habit Loop', ''The Secret Weapon GTD', etc and above all this article from Scott Adams. 
  • Too bad this is a US only thread, could get some Evernote love here in Down Under (that's Australia for the uninitiated).. 
  • Thanks @Sayre Ambrosio for answering @robinnj correctly. 

@Atif   Thank you for this very informative and instructive post.  Your taking the time to go through it was very helpful, compared to most of the short quips received.  It turns out I'm doing something similar, just never thought of it as a dashboard, using a Notebook titled "Today" and nested notebooks 'Inbox', 'Action', 'Billminder' and 'In Process'.  Obviously this is not as sophisticated, but has become a valuable tool in keeping on top of things I have in process, status, bills due, and new items.  This along with the Reminder function works well.    Thanks again, for taking the time to walk through this.
"

• Like 1
On 12/15/2019 at 11:31 PM, lisec said:

YES!  I figured it out. You can't right-click on the image because that will not give you the option to add a hyperlink. But if you select the image and use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+K you can add a link.  Doing the happy dance!

Shoot... When I click on a picture on my Android phone the link doesn't work - it just opens up the picture.  All that work for nothing.  Damn.  The irony is that I created the dashboards to work on the phone in the first place!  

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, lisec said:

Shoot... When I click on a picture on my Android phone the link doesn't work - it just opens up the picture.  All that work for nothing.  Damn.  The irony is that I created the dashboards to work on the phone in the first place!  

Hmmn.  Might be your Android version - I have Evernote 8.12.3 on Android 6 and the links work fine for me.  I did find out the hard way that the new Web client doesn't (yet) support linked images - you get an image with the link shown below it.

On 12/12/2019 at 4:39 PM, merman said:

From what I understood, Dashboards are notes with a structure (roughly a particular arrangement of table columns) and embedded links to other notes, right? But what if I want to monitor not only particular notes, but notebooks? As far as I know it's not possible to link notebooks, is it?

you can link to notebooks! It works with ENScript, unfortunately the post is in German, but perhaps you can translate it with Google Translator:
http://www.notieren.de/der-super-index-teil-3-notizbucher-verlinken/ @merman

39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Just FYI: The thread of the link is from 2012I think the solution is still valid, but keep this n mind.

This is not a forum link, and the described solution works perfectly with the latest version of Evernote!!!

• Level 5

O.K., Mr.Clever, I used to be in that forum, and moved on to the new site with others when it closed.

What you see today is the conserved content from that forum, as it was moved from google+ (RIP) to an archive website. The Post is from 2012, and yes, why shouldn’t it still work ? EN has not changed that much since, obviously. But the content will not be modified if it would need to be, because it is as it is, from 7 yrs. back.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, BEHA said:

you can link to notebooks! It works with ENScript, unfortunately the post is in German, but perhaps you can translate it with Google Translator:

Google Translate worked for me - I haven't tried the link method yet,  but I plan to check it out.  Thanks to @BEHA for that.

My Dashboard doesn't link to Notebooks as such,  but I select the notes I need for a particular activity - all the recipes / recent invoices / notes for project 'X' and create a ToC,  then link to that.  I can add more entries to that list with individual searches (actually I'm too lazy - I just tag the notes and let Filterize add them) - but either way,  the list stays up to date,  independently of whatever notebooks contain the actual notes involved.  It would be possible to create an Index ToC for each notebook and simply link to that... 

• Like 1

1525848600_ScreenShot2019-12-17at11_23_04PM.thumb.png.6a854db789217c9fcbf86cda0feca4c0.png

This is my first post on the Evernote Forum and I have been an Evernote user for about 10 years.  I LOVE Evernote, but only since the AMAZING changes recently have I fully committed to using a note for my tasks/dashboard.  I like a simple approach to everything and I use GTD, but I even simplify that!  Attached is a photo (I removed all my personal Goals and Tasks - I'm shy) of my dashboard that I have developed to streamline whats displayed and for ease of execution - if it's not easy to use, then I won't use it!  This dashboard became useful with the release of the new CHECKLIST feature, which allows for individual checkmark items to be dragged to different positions.

My dashboard does the following:
- EVERYTHING in 1 View
- Checkmark Items can be Dragged Anywhere
- COLUMNS follow GTD, but I added GOALS to increase my exposure to them.  Items progress from Right to Left to reach MY GOALS!
- ROWS are colored categories of my life (work, personal, family, daughter, wife)
- EASY to VIEW and NAVIGATE on mobile, but I'm looking forward to the movable checklist items on mobile (I think they're coming soon!)

Thank you to everybody who shared their dashboard.   I enjoyed seeing all of them!

- Andrew

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 12/7/2019 at 7:30 AM, Atif said:

This is a fantastic idea @Atif - thank you so much for sharing 👍

I'll put your concepts to practice in the new year.

• Like 1
On 12/17/2019 at 12:31 AM, lisec said:

(the tiny pictures of the checkmark in a box and the $ next to it are Windows emojis. They work but they are a bit too small to hit on the phone.

Hi @lisec I think you can select those emojis and make the font size (they're handled as text) a lot bigger... if I understood your need correctly, that should do the trick.

13 minutes ago, Mariano Garcia said:

Hi @lisec I think you can select those emojis and make the font size (they're handled as text) a lot bigger... if I understood your need correctly, that should do the trick.

Mariano, you are right!  Unfortunately in Windows Evernote automatically formats all links with underscores such that the emoji also gets underscored. It's kind of really ugly.  

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, lisec said:

Mariano, you are right!  Unfortunately in Windows Evernote automatically formats all links with underscores such that the emoji also gets underscored. It's kind of really ugly.  

Fair point! Let me see if I can find a solution for you, in any case I'll make sure to pass that feedback along to the team that works on that.

Just now, Mariano Garcia said:

Fair point! Let me see if I can find a solution for you, in any case I'll make sure to pass that feedback along to the team that works on that.

Thanks. In fact it would be great if we could override not just the underlining of links but also the font colour (it auto goes blue or green and we can't change the blue). I tried creating a nice black dashboard with just words but it got all ugly with all the words turning blue and underlined instead of remaining white. So to get what I want I have to take a screenshot of each cell with the white word and paste it back in so that I could link the picture and keep the white word (as a jpg).  A pain for sure.

This is my Christmas dashboard.  The last entry is text only with a link.  Urgh!

image.png.fc8d40c7c6834387d1163d1ca7cab9f8.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hi there,

Thank you to everyone who participated in our Home Dashboard Contest! We were so impressed and inspired by the creative dashboards you all built to organize your information and maximize productivity!  

Our panel of judges included Ian, our CEO, and representatives from Product, Engineering, Marketing, and Design.  We had a blast going through your entries – and also some good healthy debates. (Talk about a tough decision!)

Here are our winners* (drum roll please!): 

Professor of productivity

• Joe Leondike: Just looking at your dashboard already makes us feel more productive! We love how you draw ideas from a few approaches from the Eisenhower method to Stacey Harmon’s system to really make it your own. This is the epitome of a straightforward, no-frills, get-things-done home dashboard.

See Joe’s dashboard here!

Captain of creativity

• Sayre Ambrosio: This dashboard is creative on a number of levels! First, we love how visually creative it is - each of the distinct categories are paired with a perfectly matched visual. Additionally, we are inspired by how you set up a shared Evernote note to essentially have the functionality of a website for your community group. 

See Sayre’s dashboard here!

Everything but the kitchen sink - It’s a tie! 

• TK0047: We love your unique take on a home dashboard and were impressed with how comprehensive it is for something that is clearly very important to you: your breadth of software tools. It’s cool that this dashboard makes Evernote the place where you start everything - whether you’re going somewhere within Evernote or to a destination outside.

See TK0047’s dashboard here!

• Dandrade: This home dashboard is incredibly simple yet effectively organizes your most accessed content. We love that it is structured to separate work and personal as well as current tasks and reference material. It is simple and yet has everything you need to maximize productivity!

See Dandrade’s dashboard here!

We think each one of these dashboards provides great inspiration for how Evernote can help make Evernoters more organized and more productive. 

A huge thank you to everyone for sharing their work and letting us all see the breadth of ways in which Evernote can be used.  We hope folks are inspired and managed to learn more than a few nuggets from each other.

Happy holidays and cheers to making 2020 your most productive year ever!

* Contingent on successful verification of US residency 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Congtrats to the winners! 

To Evernote: Things to improve for users to create dashboards:

1. Ability to create links to dynamic search results (e.g., so that clicking on "to do today" gives us a TOC of all things tagged as todo and with a reminder date of today and/or a tag of 1). Currently TOC's are static so linking to them kind of defeats the purpose because we have to re-do the search to get current results. The alternative is using Filterize, a 3rd party software that cost almost as much as Evernote for 1 year.

2. Ability to add links to pictures in Windows (so that we could create nice looking graphics in a table that are clickable). 

3. Or, to the very least, ability to determine default font for linked text so that our dashboards could just include text of our choosing that are not displayed as the default underlined blue or green.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi there,

Thank you to everyone who participated in our Home Dashboard Contest! We were so impressed and inspired by the creative dashboards you all built to organize your information and maximize productivity!  

Our panel of judges included Ian, our CEO, and representatives from Product, Engineering, Marketing, and Design.  We had a blast going through your entries – and also some good healthy debates. (Talk about a tough decision!)

Here are our winners* (drum roll please!): 

Professor of productivity

• Joe Leondike: Just looking at your dashboard already makes us feel more productive! We love how you draw ideas from a few approaches from the Eisenhower method to Stacey Harmon’s system to really make it your own. This is the epitome of a straightforward, no-frills, get-things-done home dashboard.

See Joe’s dashboard here!

Captain of creativity

• Sayre Ambrosio: This dashboard is creative on a number of levels! First, we love how visually creative it is - each of the distinct categories are paired with a perfectly matched visual. Additionally, we are inspired by how you set up a shared Evernote note to essentially have the functionality of a website for your community group. 

See Sayre’s dashboard here!

Everything but the kitchen sink - It’s a tie! 

• TK0047: We love your unique take on a home dashboard and were impressed with how comprehensive it is for something that is clearly very important to you: your breadth of software tools. It’s cool that this dashboard makes Evernote the place where you start everything - whether you’re going somewhere within Evernote or to a destination outside.

See TK0047’s dashboard here!

• Dandrade: This home dashboard is incredibly simple yet effectively organizes your most accessed content. We love that it is structured to separate work and personal as well as current tasks and reference material. It is simple and yet has everything you need to maximize productivity!

See Dandrade’s dashboard here!

We think each one of these dashboards provides great inspiration for how Evernote can help make Evernoters more organized and more productive. 

A huge thank you to everyone for sharing their work and letting us all see the breadth of ways in which Evernote can be used.  We hope folks are inspired and managed to learn more than a few nuggets from each other.

Happy holidays and cheers to making 2020 your most productive year ever!

* Contingent on successful verification of US residency 

So cool! Thanks guys. 😊

• Like 1