Chantal Leonard

Evernote for Windows 6.6 Beta 1 Released

Idea

Today we're releasing version 6.6 Beta 1 - you cadownload it here. This release brings improvements to the note editing and note sharing experience. As these are pretty sizable changes and this is our first beta, we're looking to the Beta community to help us uncover bugs - please let us know if you spot any issues in your existing workflows and let us know if you're able to take advantage of the new feature improvements. 

As always, we've also fixed a number of bugs. See the list below in the release notes for some of the highlights. 

Thanks,

Chantal and the rest of the Windows and the Editor team! 

--------------------

Evernote for Windows 6.6 Release Notes

Major improvements to tables!

Some highlights:

• Quickly add rows and columns – via the plus button
  • Easily select cells – by clicking-and-dragging, or by clicking the column/row headers
  • Efficiently drag and drop rows & columns – by clicking on the row/column headers, and then dragging and dropping the row/column elsewhere
  • Better copy/paste – copy multiple cells, then place your cursor anywhere in the table to paste into multiple cells
  • New fixed width columns – so that as you increase/decrease one column’s width, it does not affect the next column’s width
  • New horizontally scrollable tables – so that you won’t need to expand your window wide to view a table that has many columns
  • Access advanced table functions – via the new menu which provides options such as
    • Resizing the table width to match the current window size
    • Distributing selected columns evenly
    • Adjusting alignment of content in cells
    • Changing cell background color
  • Additional info: The new tables do not support "table-in-table" or "merged cell" functionality. If you paste incompatible tables into a note, then the tables in the note will not have the updated table features or controls (including resizing). In a future update, we plan to support pasted-in tables that have merged cells.

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

New editor

Evernote for Windows now utilizes the new editor, which has been rewritten to allow for more rapid improvements to the editor moving forward.

Improved Share dialog

More easily share notes via our improved UI which allows sharing to another evernote user or through a public link.

Bug fixes

A number of user reported bugs are now fixed in this release:

• Notes with tables and checkboxes were sometimes causing the app to hang
  • Line breaks were sometimes hidden below the bottom margin of the note
  • When attempting to repeatedly add attachments to a note, sometimes attachments fail to be added to note
  • When copying text from an email that contains dates/times that have were auto-formatted as links, sometimes the dates/times were not pastable into Evernote
  • If a user had changed their font size, began typing text and creating line breaks, and then deleted some text, the font size would sometimes unexpectedly revert back to the default size
  • Undo often did not work on the first try when there was a table in the note

----------------------------------

Screenshots

Improved table editing: quickly add rows and columns via the plus button, easily set the background color of cells.

tables.png.a18ad9b5fc4ec6d0e8c6bc6b5b09c94d.png

tables2.png.7aab7f08ae568a7a0d7aab9e83c998ac.png

7 people like this

191 replies to this idea

When I am trying to print the new feature it doesn't color the entire box.

See attachment.

Evernote Feedback.pdf

1 person likes this

On 28/03/2017 at 6:08 PM, Enertse said:

I haven't changed my preferences since upgrading, but now find my notes are being synchronized automatically; has anyone else noticed this?

2017-03-28 18_08_47.png

Please fix the sync regression introduced with 6.5.

2 people like this

This is going to be really big! 

As tables always sucked!

Thank you!

3 people like this

The new Table is exquisite, this new improvement now allows me not to use words to create the table first. The new editor is nice. Great Work.

Thank You.

3 people like this

That amazing news. Exactly what I was looking for! Especially this one. Thank you:)

14 hours ago, Chantal Leonard said:

New image gallery!

Double-click on an image to enter the gallery mode, which allows you to quickly browse all the images in your note!

2 people like this

@Chantal Leonard Tested the latest beta. The Editor is working quite good. Only there are minor hiccups, a small fraction of a second, freezes. This happens, particularly, when you select a bunch of text and apply a common setting, like change the Font type or size. But its not much of a problem. But please look to address this. 

The table is performing well. No major issues here encountered. Colour changes applied in Windows are syncing over to Android, which is good. Great and immense scope here. 

The gallery feature seems to again have a small delay here, although it is at an acceptable level for a Beta 1 release.

Great job Chantal and the Evernote team.. :)

1 person likes this

Wicked update guys! The tables definitely needed some love. 

Just reporting a minor bug - when editing the properties of a cell, the menu dropdown appears behind file objects. See attached screenshot. 

Capture.PNG

2 minutes ago, rechnergott said:

Wicked update guys! The tables definitely needed some love. 

Just reporting a minor bug - when editing the properties of a cell, the menu dropdown appears behind file objects. See attached screenshot. 

Capture.PNG

Thanks for reporting this, we'll work to get it fixed.

2 people like this

@Chantal Leonard

First, great update with tables, thanks for that.  :):):)

A few glitches and suggestions from my first test drive:

Glitches

1. When returning from a Basic sandbox account to a  Premium account the Context Show/Hide is visible in the note area n the Premium account.
  2. Table does not change in IOS now, but characters/columns aren't proportional between IOS and PC, that is, IOS wraps text in a column where the PC doesn't
  3. The column widths have been changed on most of my older phone template notes from 2015 back (a two column table).  It looks like they have been changed to two same width 125-150 px or so column tables.  Not sure if this happened with a previous release, bit still...  Not the worst thing until I find one in a search and want to read/fix it.  PITA
  4. For the older tables above when I go to drag the column width I get stuck with the column size adjust icon and the mouse pointer never comes back when placed in the note area.  None of the table indicators appear, just the width drag icon.  I have to File - Exit EN to resolve the issue.  Interestingly, when this happens the pointer will work in a note stand alone window, just not the main window.  This will make it problematic to edit these not modified by me notes across time as they come into view..
  5. Not a glitch - the new tables do not seem to get corrupted after being viewed/edited in IOS so far, a good thing.

Suggestions

1. Was the extra indentation in the note body in V 6.5?  Even so, can it be removed?  Waste of space and it doesn't look any better, worse perhaps.  Doesn't line up with anything.
  2. Why the extra space at the top of the table if first in the note (2 lines) (1 for the column tools I suppose, but the other line is for???
  3. Busy screen when all the table options visible, and once you are out of the table they don't disappear
  4. Is there anyway to override vertical spacing above/below the row line?  Too much space wasted for me and it is changing existing tables and makes things worse on a phone.
  5. Copy note link changed now in two places, because?
  6. Not 100% intuitive to use the format bar to align left right center

6 minutes ago, rechnergott said:

Hey all, 

Another report here - when moving text from one cell to another, it randomly merges some cells and makes them un-editable. 

Please see a screenshare here: https://www.screencast.com/t/eHBSJr8RG4gP

Thanks, we are aware of this issue. However, I believe this has always been a bug in earlier versions of Evernote for Windows. Unfortunately, it is a bug with the embedded browser that we use to render the notes. We are working on a way to improve the drag/drop of content.

Long avaited tables are finally there. Some small glitches:

1. when adding a horizontal line to a colored cell, the lines backround stays white.

Also I witnessed a fix for "format to text". Usually it added an extra paragraph, which needed to cut out manually. This seems to be fixed now.

Great work - thank you!

1 person likes this

A nice set of improvements and bugfixes. Looking forward to seeing how they work for me. Thanks, Evernote!

Two things (so far)

• create a bullet list - try to add a table in the list.  No response to toolbar icon, but Format > Insert Table works
  • create a table in Excel - paste into Evernote.  All cell structure lost - just long list of cell entries posted as text. Option: paste a screen shot plus the file link,   but obviously all inline functionality is lost.  It's just a picture.

Posted (edited)

Something has gone horribly wrong with the remove formatting options. I have a couple of web sites that I visit frequently - the update has wrecked my ability to quickly reformat the notes to appear the way I want them. There are a lot of extra <div> and </div> HTML tags showing up on ENML, but removing those is a nightmare. Even pressing the bullet button causes strange things to happen to the formatting. I think I will go back to the previous version, which worked well. I will optimize the database, and try a couple of other things first, then try installing again, but this is a pain. Here is the most recent log file after I tried to edit one of my notes that has proved difficult to correct.

21:49:03 [14060] Command line: "C:\x86\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe" 
21:49:03 [14060] Evernote for Windows 6.6.1.5097 (305097) Prerelease
21:49:03 [14060] Client info: Evernote Windows/305097 (en-US, DDL); Windows/10.0.15063 (Win64);
21:49:03 [14060] Common Editor: ce-1.22.1790 (c90219284a9901fe56fa4ebcfbdd52990ecc1fa0)
21:49:03 [14060] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedLastUsed)
21:49:04 [14060] Registered session count: 1, last session: 2017/05/12 21:45:00
21:49:04 [14060] Bootstrap info: Evernote (loadedDatabase)
21:49:04 [14060] Loaded session count: 0, last session: 2017/05/11 23:15:00
21:49:05 [1788] Sync rate configuration changed:
21:49:05 [1788] * syncStateIntervalMillis=20000
21:49:05 [1788] * updateNoteWhenIdleForMillis=3000
21:49:05 [1788] * updateNoteDuringEditIntervalMillis=6000
21:49:08 [14060] Opened database: C:\@@@.exb (5.6 GB Fixed 755 GB free)
21:49:08 [14060] * email: xxxx
21:49:08 [14060] * user: 21534
21:49:08 [12180] Import folder: "C:\Users\R\Desktop\Evernote" started, DeleteImportedFiles, ImportOneLevelDeep
21:49:09 [1296] 0% SyncState: devices used: 2
21:49:12 [14060] Registered session count: 1, last session: 2017/05/12 21:45:00
21:54:12 [14060] # Fixing 1 selected notes...
21:55:01 [14764] 0% Syncing note "3 Powerful Indigenous Herbs From Nort...", resource count: 0
21:55:01 [14764] 0% * guid={9BA5B2E1-CFA5-4C4C-9198-584F6E087BB7}
21:55:02 [14764] 0% Updating local note "3 Powerful Indigenous Herbs From Nort...", resource count: 1, usn=174271
21:55:02 [14764] 0% * guid={9BA5B2E1-CFA5-4C4C-9198-584F6E087BB7}
21:55:02 [14764] 0% * Retrieving note content, length=33804
21:55:02 [14764] 0% * guid={9ba5b2e1-cfa5-4c4c-9198-584f6e087bb7}
21:55:02 [14764] 0% Creating local resource "3591e7f85e99e206879a331836714781" placeholder, 3928 bytes
21:55:02 [14764] 0% * rsrc={55FF4BDF-38FC-4358-8387-E0E4F814F89C}, note={9ba5b2e1-cfa5-4c4c-9198-584f6e087bb7}
21:55:02 [14764] 0% * Retrieving resource data, size=3928
21:55:02 [14764] 0% * rsrc={55ff4bdf-38fc-4358-8387-e0e4f814f89c}, note={9ba5b2e1-cfa5-4c4c-9198-584f6e087bb7}
21:55:04 [14764] 0% * Retrieving resource reco data, size=640
21:55:04 [14764] 0% * rsrc={55ff4bdf-38fc-4358-8387-e0e4f814f89c}, note={9ba5b2e1-cfa5-4c4c-9198-584f6e087bb7}
21:55:07 [14060] # Fixing 1 selected notes done
22:00:18 [14060] Registered session count: 2, last session: 2017/05/12 22:00:00

Edited by FactMan
Add log

Not only for the color printing problem, but the tables are not copying completely into Evernote. I didn't have a problem in the previous version, but now I have it in this beta test.  I liked the copy and paste feature in the non-beta version!

@ Evernote staff,

sorry to say pretty colours  that do not print are a ridiculous insult on your paying customers. 

Made a fancy layout with 6 columns, 6 rows = complete waste of time.  Page preview straight away gave the game away, verified by print. 

Shame on you! 

1 person likes this

It seems that whatever you have done, much of the formatting in previous notes is now broken. Highlighted sentience connect to other sentences with no space between them, and the formatting has been therefore broken. Some cliped notes are now reformatted and not aligned proparly. I don't know what to do, but all the careful alignments on thousands of notes is now broken. It seems to be related to the tables changes and formatting engine changes.

I appreciate the changes and that you are not wasting our money, but two steps forward, six steps backward approach is not appreciate. This might be beta but feels like Alpha. Needs A LOT more work before its safe to use. I'm reverting back. This is dangerous. You introduce twice as many bugs as you have solved. WTF?

3 minutes ago, JohnLongney said:

@ Evernote staff,

sorry to say pretty colours  that do not print are a ridiculous insult on your paying customers. 

Made a fancy layout with 6 columns, 6 rows = complete waste of time.  Page preview straight away gave the game away, verified by print. 

Shame on you! 

It's a early beta for God Sake. Time and time again, Evernote has rushed into too many things and which were all broken. Happy that they are taking baby steps. Things will be fixed over time. 

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

It's a early beta for God Sake. Time and time again, Evernote has rushed into too many things and which were all broken. Happy that they are taking baby steps. Things will be fixed over time. 

"Time and time again, Evernote has rushed into too many things and which were all broken." Truer words were never spoken. Not sure how much faith people have into them fixing some bugs. Its well documented that bugs remain despite the complains for many many versions. Seems like they introduce more bugs than they solve with each version and things that used to work get broken, but not fixed.

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

Do you happen to know the difference between early Alpha and Beta? If so, then try and understand that no one fully upstairs would normally dare put out such rubbish. That sort of miserable stuff would make anybody with pride hide away. 

I cannot find any excuse for putting out such *****. Full stop.

Not sure if this is a bug. 

The windows client does not allow me to use the "side scroll" function on my mouse for the tables, as I would normally use it on webpages and docs. 

The only way to side scroll the table is to scroll to the bottom of the table, and click on the scroll bar and drag it to the side. 

26 minutes ago, JohnLongney said:

Do you happen to know the difference between early Alpha and Beta? If so, then try and understand that no one fully upstairs would normally dare put out such rubbish. That sort of miserable stuff would make anybody with pride hide away. 

I cannot find any excuse for putting out such *****. Full stop.

What is the difference between Alpha and Beta do you mean? I thought Alpha usually was the phase where new features are implemented and where data loss and crashes are expected. Beta is where the release features have been implemented and only non-critical bugs are present. That's why some companies release betas to the general public.

Betas are not release candidates. Which means that betas are often released to the general public despite that the developer is aware of some bugs even before the beta is released.

Sure, it's hard to deny that Evernote isn't afraid to release GA-releases without fixing some older bugs. But that in itself is not enough of a reason to criticise new bugs in a beta release..

1 person likes this

Those that are risk averse should probably avoid beta releases.  Many that test betas have a second sandbox account used specifically for testing.  Others will wait for the posts to start rolling in to see what others have discovered before deciding whether to download the new beta.  Those that jump into a beta, especially a first release, head first with their main account should understand there are risks involved including possible data loss.  

4 people like this

dear fanboys,

to put my sentiments even more plainly, a product version where the development team has checked just about nothing is  unfit for Beta testing. 

Such work must make any competitor very, very happy, grinning with delight (or disdain).

1 person likes this