cifip

Evernote v8.0 for iOS Released

Idea

Hi all,

We released Evernote for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch v8.0 earlier today.

Evernote 8.0 is a complete redesign emphasizing speed and simplicity. Capture your thoughts with ease, and find what you're looking for faster than ever. Bring beauty and clarity to your notes with an improved editing experience. In addition, this new app will lay the foundation for us to more easily build the features you've been requesting. We’re really excited, and we hope you are too.

What's New in Evernote 8.0:

• Quickly navigate between main sections of the app with the tab bar
    • Sections: Notes, Search, Note Creation (+), Shortcuts, and Account
    • Work Chat is now found inside the Account tab
    • Tag management has been moved into Account tab > Settings > Manage Tags
      • This is a simplified list, where you can delete tags or add a tag to Shortcuts

• Find your content more easily with the new note list
    • Browse notes and identify your images quickly with newly designed note previews
    • Switch between small, medium (default), or large previews by tapping Note List Options (in the overflow ‘…’ menu)
      • Medium and Large previews will show up to three thumbnails in the note list
      • You can still control sort order and whether or not to view images or snippet text
    • Filter a note list by pulling down slightly to expose a search box, tag filter, and reminder filter
    • Filter by tags: Tap the tag icon to select and apply tag filters
      • After selecting a tag, a filtered list of remaining tags are shown if you wish to refine further
    • Filter by reminders: Tap the reminder icon to view just your reminder notes
    • Manually sync: Pull down on the note list

• Switch between notebooks quickly
    • The notebook list is now opened from the top of the note list
    • When you first launch Evernote 8.0, you'll see All Notes at the top with a down arrow - tap that to open the notebook list including All Notes and Reminders collections
    • Tap the name of the notebook at the top of the screen to get to your notebook list
    • Swipe left on a notebook or stack to expose the settings button: use this to open notebook or stack settings to rename, add to stack, add to shortcuts, or change sharing permissions

• Create new notes with a multi-function + button
    • Tap the (+) button (aka new note skittle) to get right into the note editor
    • Long-press on the (+) button and drag to quickly create Audio, Photo, or Reminder notes
    • Or long-press on the (+) button and release to view these note creation options then tap the one you want
    • Swipe the keyboard down to save your note and enter View mode
    • Tapping Done will save and sync your note
      • If you leave your note title and note body empty, the note will be automatically removed

• Beautify your notes with a better formatting and styling options
    • On top of the keyboard, you'll see the new formatting navigation bar
      • ABC is the main keyboard
      • Next is the primary formatting button - this opens the formatting menu in the keyboard area
        • Change font style to bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, or highlight
        • Change text size to small, medium, or large
        • Change text color! (Swipe left for shades of gray)
      • The third button is for list and paragraph settings
      • The camera button launches our powerful document camera
      • The square + button will open an action sheet for other options of adding audio, sketch, files, or photos

• 2 ways to search
    • Search within a notebook by tapping in the search field at the top of the note list
    • Search your entire account from the search tab
      • See suggestions for notes, notebooks, and tags before running your search
      • Recent searches and saved searches are also on the Search tab

• Easy access to shortcuts
    • Access your shortcuts straight from the tab bar
    • Shortcuts area also shows your most recently viewed notes

• Evernote Business users - now switch between business and personal accounts
    • Evernote Business users can switch between personal and business accounts in two ways:
      • From the Account tab; just tap your name and select the account you want to view
      • Alternatively, you can long-press on the Account tab to launch the quick account switcher
    • Your notes, saved and recent searches, recent notes and shortcuts, and tags are now all separated by account within the app
    • To move a note between your personal or business accounts, within a note, tap on the notebook name and scroll to the bottom, and then tap "Move to another account" to open your business or personal notebook list.

What's coming soon:

• Context and related notes
  • 3D Touch Peek and Pop for note lists
  • Note list scrubber - ability to quickly move through long note lists
  • Enhanced (native) business card notes
  • View tags in note list - formerly on iPad only - we plan to bring the option to iPhone and iPad
  • Reminders enhancements

What's not returning:

• Home screen and home screen sections - primary navigation has been moved to the tab bar
  • Presentation mode - this will still be available on desktop clients
  • Suggested note titles
  • Note "draft" mode
    • In v7, when you created a note you needed to save it. If you tapped cancel, you'd have the option to delete or save.
    • In v8, when you create a note, you tap done to save the note. If you decided you didn't want the note, you can delete it. This should cut down in inadvertent data loss.
Read more about the Evernote 8 launch on our blog: Evernote 8.0: Organization Made Simple.

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

January 18 Update

Hi all,

Today we released v8.0.1 to address the following issues:

• Inserting multiple images into a new note with no other content drops the images from the note
    • 8.0.1 stops this behavior and repairs notes that may have encountered this issue
  • From a note list, swiping on a note and tapping the delete button resulted in the note getting expunged instead of going to the Trash
    • 8.0.1 now sends the note to the Trash

We are currently focused on fixing the following issues to be part of 8.0.2:

• From a note list, swiping on an empty note that was just created before the note is automatically removed resulted in the following note being deleted
    • Inadvertently deleted notes should be found in the Trash, but we are also fixing the initial bug
  • Top crasher
    • There is an issue with the thumbnail generation in the note list that may result in crash on launch, crash while scrolling note list, or crash on search.
    • The following have worked for users with various degrees of success: force quit and relaunch app (multiple times if necessary), rebooting device, deleting and reinstalling the app.

Edited by cifip
Added 8.0.1 and 8.0.2 details
  • Like 9

After seeing this version I'm worried to see what the next Mac version will look like. I feel like the current strategy is to remove UI, decrease information density, and remove features. I imagine the challenge is to not scare away new users by presenting too many options, but what about established advanced (paying) users of a platform. Shouldn't they be catered to as well? 

• Like 1

PDF annotation doesn't seem to be working on the new app on iPad? 

(And I'll just add myself to the chorus of disappoint about presentation mode) 

Also, in portrait mode, the note takes up less than half the width of the screen, with no way to make the sidebar narrower. 

I pay for Evernote because it's the most productive app, not because it's the most pretty. I'd love to see stylus support, presentation mode returned, and PDF annotation made much more precise and natural... UI changes like this don't really help me do anything better or faster—that's what I want from Evernote. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, eddo1968 said:

Business card scanner option for "saving to contacts" has now disappeared, which is the main reason for using this feature... 

I assume that this is an omission that will be corrected rapidly?

Luckily I only "up"graded my iPhone 7 and left my iPad alone. Next time I'll do it the other way around....

I'm not a user of this feature but I still see the option under Account -> Settings -> Camera -> Business Cards

7 hours ago, acedout said:

Dark Mode is gone! As a premium user, this is horrible. Or am I missing something?

I don't see it either but can't you just use the iPhone 3 click method?

6 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

However, I think in all of my years here, I have never heard any users request the removal of a feature.

Except for maybe Work Chat :).  Hard to miss the hate adding that feature created and the demands to have it removed.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, DTLow said:

Perhaps the fact the software is free; the upgrade is free; most of the 200+ million users are non-paying
- doesn't allow much margin to pay for extensive testing

WoW! Just wow. I wish I had the time to do justice to your comments, but, I do not. Next time maybe!

40 minutes ago, Anime.sh said:

WoW! Just wow. I wish I had the time to do justice to your comments, but, I do not. Next time maybe!

Well thanks anyways for responding  ?
I'll reiterate my advice that users may want to hold off on upgrades until all the bugs have been identified 
Particularly version .0 - the bugs tend to get fixed in .1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WRZim said:

PDF annotation doesn't seem to be working on the new app on iPad? 

Correct. The Annotate icon is greyed out for PDF files right now. :mellow:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Except for maybe Work Chat :).  Hard to miss the hate adding that feature created and the demands to have it removed.

LOL. Well, I've tried and failed to use Work Chat. Sometimes it is OK (when emailing notes, for whatever mysterious reason, fails). Sometimes not. It is never useful, though, at least in my situation. I admit that I don't really get why this was created.

But, there may well be people out there who enjoy using it, so I think even those of us who have no love for the feature would be fine if they'd let us hide it away out of sight. I don't care if it is removed or not, as long as it isn't pushed on me, especially with nagging. I think a lot of the hate came from having this pushed at us by locking it into the UI and so forth.

Anyhow, let's say the developers read my post and want to call me out on it -- fine, if they shouldn't be spending time fiddling around with the UI, what should they be doing?

1. Give me control over font size (with numbers, please, not "small" or "large")

2. Give me more sort options. One day, in another "exciting" update, they got rid of the sort options and dropped us down to three. Windows has a couple dozen, I think. Put that into iOS. Competitors have managed to do it, by the way, in an unobtrusive and effective manner (I count 10 options in one of them).

3. Give me control over the metadata (like we have in OSX).

4. Give us Context. We had it once, but then it disappeared in an "update." 

5. Display clipped web pages correctly.

6. If I do a search, and it locates a note with the term inside of a PDF, open the PDF and highlight it for me. Don't make me run a whole new search on every PDF trying to track it down.

7. Allow me to display PDFs inline. 

8. Is there a way to share a notebook publicly? If so, I just cannot find it. 

These are just a few things that occur to me right now. I am sure I could come up with more (besides the bug fixes). There is plenty of stuff out there to keep the developers busy, I think. Personally, search is one of the most important features for me, and when that is implemented in a clumsy manner (as it is now), that causes the most friction. Evernote still has one of the best searches on iOS, but there is room for improvement, in my opinion.

• Like 2

At what point to the "gurus" and "evangelists" feel betrayed enough to stop defending Evernote?  I saw that GrumpyMonkey might be jumping ship and that's one of the most loyal Evernote users I've seen in these forums. 

I truly loved and paid for Evernote for years, but I'm done. It's just sad I have so few decent alternatives. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mdk1 said:

At what point to the "gurus" and "evangelists" feel betrayed enough to stop defending Evernote?

Betrayed???   Loyal???

Its just software.  I'll stop using Evernote if I find something that serves my needs better.

I don't see Evernote not being able to do the job for me, but no regrets - I've had a backup and exit strategy from day one.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mdk1 said:

At what point to the "gurus" and "evangelists" feel betrayed enough to stop defending Evernote?  I saw that GrumpyMonkey might be jumping ship and that's one of the most loyal Evernote users I've seen in these forums. 

I truly loved and paid for Evernote for years, but I'm done. It's just sad I have so few decent alternatives. 

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Betrayed???

Its just software.  I'll stop using Evernote if I find something that serves my needs better.

I don't see Evernote not being able to do the job for me, but no regrets - I've had a backup and exit strategy from day one.

Can you share your exit strategy? I've been trying to come up with one, not because I might rage quit.  I'm more worried about the company eventually just folding.

I'm in for the long haul right now.  I have too much tied up in Evernote to consider leaving. I am very much worried about things just going away though.

• Like 2

Really wish I could say the update was helpful, but so far, it's delivered more frustration than any other app in my daily use.

• Can't tell if app is currently in sync process (nor can the user force a sync before quitting app) now that the spinning sync icon is gone.
  • The black bar at the bottom of the photo viewer (when taking a photo) blocks a large portion of the image---can't tell what is or isn't actually in the frame.
  • Still no sign of Saved Searches (even though they appear in the desktop version). It's been several hours, so this shouldn't be a sync issue.
  • Searching from within a tag group is beyond cumbersome, if you can figure it out---toooooo many steps, too illogical.
  • Scrolling through hundreds of Notes just to reach the top of the list for the sake of having access to the Tag icon is wildly inconvenient and very time consuming.

I'm completely perplexed. For years, the EN mantra has been "Use tags, not notebooks," yet tags seem like an afterthought in v8.0. What was once simple and straightforward has become hidden, convoluted, complicated, or illogical. 

IMG_1384.PNG

• Like 1

also...

I would love to turn off recent notes - especially from the "shortcuts" view. i never use recent notes, and it clutters the screen and takes up space. should be able to turn that off.

On that note, the widget when in "Less" mode should just show the actionable buttons, not some random notes. Right now I have no idea what notes it's showing and why. I would think ideally "Less" only shows the action buttons and the "More" is configuratable in the app in terms of what one would like more to show them.

Any estimate as to when the "coming soon" changes will be delivered? Perhaps you're using all this releases feedback to prioritize what the "coming soon" release will include. Hopefully.

2 minutes ago, righteousdork said:

Can you share your exit strategy?

I export my notes in HTML format to a cloud drive
This runs automatically each night for notes changed during the day
If Evernote ever suddenly goes dark; I can still access my notes.
That's both backup and exit planning

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PaperQueen said:

I'm completely perplexed. For years, the EN mantra has been "Use tags, not notebooks,"

And tags can no longer be edited in IOS
Here I was hoping for expanded tag features, like hierarchy

• Like 3

Where is the Presentation Mode for iPad? I need a way to present my notes with the dark background so that I don't have to worry about something being typed or moved while I am presenting. 

13 minutes ago, righteousdork said:

Hey PaperQueen, try grabbing the note list and pulling down to sync.

With a couple thousand notes in my Notes list, that equates to scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll....sync. :::ugh:::

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mdk1 said:

I have decided to stop using Evernote in my classes; I really like it for the sharing options (more a potential benefit of the service than an actual one, because the emails won't even work properly, but that is something for another thread) and one of the main justifications for the premium subscription (in my case) was its classroom potential. This isn't the first time Evernote has removed a feature without notice (presentation mode), but I think it is the last time I am willing to let it affect my classes. If Evernote wants to make an app for professionals to rely upon, then they need to treat their users as professionals instead of infants who cannot handle complex user interfaces (actually, kids do well with pretty much any cluttered interface these days), and they need to be a lot more careful about meddling with peoples' workflows.

I've been beating this drum for a few years, so many of my criticisms are nothing new. Why the decision to cut it out of classes now, when we have such a beautiful interface? It's simple. They shifted away from developing to increase the user base (the main focus now for eight years), asked us all to pay if we wanted to support development, and this is their first major release since the summer. It should be something that plants a flag in the ground and says this is how things are going to be at the newly slimmed down (they cut a bunch of staff and servers) company with a new focus. They're repeating the same mistakes again, though, by continuing to fiddle with the form rather than improving the function, and (yet again) unexpectedly removing features. Why they keep abandoning things without giving us a heads up is a mystery to me, but clearly (in this respect, at least) nothing has changed at the company, and it is business as usual. It's a shame, because they clearly did a lot of work, and all of that (for me) is wasted with a single surprise decision to remove a feature. When it just affects me, I suppose I have more patience for it (and, I can just decide not to update), but when it affects the classroom, it is a different story. 

I hope they get this stuff sorted, and I wish them well. Evernote is still a great app with tremendous potential. I am sure that it meets the needs of many individual users, I hope people really enjoy the new interface, and I am thrilled to see some good news for a change. I'll be sticking around as an individual user -- it does some things I really like, especially with searching. But, I'd say an update that makes me use the app less is probably not a huge success. Another unforced error, in my opinion. They spent time on that marketing blog post sent out a while back excitedly telling us about this app, but they didn't have the time (or interest), in telling us what features would (and wouldn't) be included. I guess they like surprises more than I do.

• Like 7

I am pretty upset about the new 8.0 release.  The business card functionality has been severely crippled in iOS.  

1) I can no longer add the back of a card

2) Can no longer crop/edit and image

3) All the cards I scanned in today are not searchable outside of the text fields.  There seems to be no more OCR search on newly scanned cards. Really!!??  That functionality was HUGE!

If all 3 of those functions are indeed gone and never to return that would be a deal breaker for me and I will have to stop using EN and find a new solution. Had I known, I would have kept the old version, NOT COOL!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PaperQueen said:

With a couple thousand notes in my Notes list, that equates to scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll....sync. :::ugh:::

Also, Sync Now can be accessed from the Account icon.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I export my notes in HTML format to a cloud drive
This runs automatically each night for notes changed during the day
If Evernote ever suddenly goes dark; I can still access my notes.
That's both backup and exit planning

Applescript? Automator? Please advise, oh wise one. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PaperQueen said:

Applescript? Automator?

It can be done manually but I use Applescript on my Mac (documented here)
I use the OS LaunchAgents feature for scheduling 

Since we're in the IOS forum; cloudHQ can be used as an export service

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It can be done manually but I use Applescript on my Mac (documented here
I use the OS LaunchAgents feature for scheduling 

Thanks, @DTLow!

EN on my iPad mini2 is now unusable.

ive deleted and reinstalled TWICE, and still EN crashes withi g two seconds. Done all th reboot, soft boot, reinstall to no avail.

it worked out on my iPhone 6s, after one reinstall it seems fine.

i hope this is fixed soon, the iPad is my primary device for EN.

Returning to Evernote as my primary note taking app. Please eliminate the delay between taping trash and the note disappearing from the list; it is rather irritating. Would like if the mac app also took cues from the web version; also, going all in with AI is the future - if DevonThink can do it you can do it also. The iPhone app begs for more 3d touch actions, on notes for example.

Nice work. Hopefully you'll keep up with this general direction. 

The Trash bug has been resolved in version 8.0.1

Deleted notes now appear in the Trash folder

edited: From Release Notes

• From a note list, swiping on a note and tapping the delete button resulted in the note getting expunged instead of going to the Trash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Also, Sync Now can be accessed from the Account icon.

or by pulling down on the note list if you are at the top, which is how many iOS handle a manual refresh. But you do have to be at the top. Double-tapping on "Notes" icon in toolbar will zip you to the top though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaperQueen said:

Still no sign of Saved Searches (even though they appear in the desktop version). It's been several hours, so this shouldn't be a sync issue.

If you type the name of a saved search in the search bar is it found?

2 hours ago, PaperQueen said:

I  think this more of a drag down and release move.  Same move you would use in Mail or something like Wunderlist to force a sync.

• Like 1

Do not like the new updated it placed a lot of editing features for text on a second menu/screen. With a keyboard on an iPad Pro it is not displaying correctly for the edit/suggested text bar at the bottom of the page, it initially floating initially when you open the app. The new updated does not appear to be fully flushed out for bugs in display. Formatting of the text edits screen is not well done, too much space. The menus do not close when select off the area of the menu, must click the icon to open and close. Wish item better outlining of items the only numbers for each line is Anoying.

IMG_0054.PNG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zschmidt1 said:

Where is the Presentation Mode for iPad? I need a way to present my notes with the dark background so that I don't have to worry about something being typed or moved while I am presenting. 

From the top note

What's not returning:
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, csihilling said:

If you type the name of a saved search in the search bar is it found?

Tried that before reverting to v.7---didn't work.

16 minutes ago, csihilling said:

I  think this more of a drag down and release move.  Same move you would use in Mail or something like Wunderlist to force a sync.

But, as mentioned in one of my earlier posts, you have to be at the top note first. That means endless scrolling, scrolling, scrolling to get there for those of us with a couple thousand notes. 

Hi all,

• Inserting multiple images into a new note with no other content drops the images from the note
    • 8.0.1 stops this behavior and repairs notes that may have encountered this issue

• From a note list, swiping on an empty note that was just created before the note is automatically removed resulted in the following note being deleted
    • Inadvertently deleted notes should be found in the Trash, but we are also fixing the initial bug
  • Top crasher
    • There is an issue with the thumbnail generation in the note list that may result in crash on launch, crash while scrolling note list, or crash on search.
    • The following have worked for users with various degrees of success: force quit and relaunch app (multiple times if necessary), rebooting device, deleting and reinstalling the app.

Thanks for your continued feedback.

I'll have further updates on 8.0.2 as available.

Thanks,
Chuck

(The above details have been added to the original post.)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PaperQueen said:

But, as mentioned in one of my earlier posts, you have to be at the top note first. That means endless scrolling, scrolling, scrolling to get there for those of us with a couple thousand notes. 

I think if you hit the Notes icon in the tab bar you go to All Notes at the top of the list.  Works for my thousands of notes.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, csihilling said:

I think if you hit the Notes icon in the tab bar you go to All Notes at the top of the list.  Works for my thousands of notes.

Maybe it does. I've reinstalled v7, so no way to test it (and heaven knows, I'm not updating to v8 on the iPad 'til this stuff's resolved). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaperQueen said:

Maybe it does. I've reinstalled v7, so no way to test it (and heaven knows, I'm not updating to v8 on the iPad 'til this stuff's resolved). 

:)

I definitely lost a very important note, 8.0.1 didn't restore it, and I've had no reply from support. 

I used the Suggested Note Titles feature quite frequently, to record notes from meetings and events in my calendar. I miss this feature already!

8.01 does nothing to make EN stop crashing. Guess I have to wait for 8.02!

this should never have happened, on top of increased pricing, flirting with never to be trusted Google, the negatives are beginning to pile up.

Together app is looking better.

I am not a fan of the changes BUSINESS CARD scanning and contacts, which is 80% of my usage for Evernote

In new update (iPhone) mobile version released I can no longer find how to do the following : 
1. How to manually save new scanned business cards to contacts 
2. How to add photo of back of card (previously the edit button allowed you to take a 2nd picture and save to that contact) 
3. How to add photo of person to that business card just scanned

And, when I try to edit an address, I can't as it launches straight to Google Maps when I try to select the address of my contact.

ARGHHH!!!!  If not addressed I am most likely going to look for another app and program - any recommendations?

3 hours ago, PaperQueen said:

Was this reinstall of the app?  I would love to know how to go back to v7, but already hit update on my app.  Now realise it was a mistake!

used en for years.  diehard committed.  but so disappointed  in the new update.  you have added steps and made it harder to switch between  personal and biz notes.  why!  why make things more complicated and add steps?  in an effort to make a clean design,  you oversimplified and dumbed it down, made it harder to use.  really disappointed.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, EdH said:

@Dusan, just select a notebook in the dropdown.

I wanted to say can different Notebook be set as default instead of all notes.

9 minutes ago, Dusan said:

I wanted to say can different Notebook be set as default instead of all notes.

It will remember it session to session unless it crashes or iOS totally shuts it down because it was in the background too long, but no, you cannot, AFAIK, make it default to a specific notebook when it opens.

When you search for a note and the result matches to 10 or 20 notes, if you select the note you wish to view it opens the note that is visible at the top of the list. (-:

I have not been able to work out how to edit a tag. The options appear to be delete and star. Not even sure star works. (-:

• Like 2

On 18/01/2017 at 11:04 AM, DTLow said:

Perhaps the fact the software is free; the upgrade is free; most of the 200+ million users are non-paying
- doesn't allow much margin to pay for extensive testing

Problem is they are promoting it as a business app and charging us a monthly fee per user. Some of the problems arising are proving very little beta testing was done.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BradleyPaton said:

Problem is they are promoting it as a business app and charging us a monthly fee per user. Some of the problems arising are proving very little beta testing was done.

And ...... (what)

I'm not saying that it isn't a problem, but

• we chose to use the software
  • we chose to implement the upgrade and continue the testing

The desktop platforms go through more extensive beta testing.  I participate in that testing too

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DTLow said:

And ...... (what)

I'm not saying that it isn't a problem, but

• we chose to use the software
  • we chose to implement the upgrade and continue the testing

The desktop platforms go through more extensive beta testing.  I participate in that testing too

Yes, I chose to use the software, I chose to upgrade based on Evernote claims re. The new features. Evernote updates have always  been reliable so there is an expectation vs 8 should be also.

i personally did not choose to continue testing, but to continue USING to run my business.

many accepted (as I did) dramatically increased annual fees so that further development would and could continue.

the release of version 8 is clearly premature and frankly is unacceptable. I've not even heard an apology for the wasted time so many users have spent installing and reinstalling.

Mind you, it seems to be a trend, Apple updates were always unquestioned as to their reliability. That doesn't seem quite the case any more.

• Like 2

Why am I suprised by this update. The use of Evernote is mission critical for my work and now I'm working with software that's not reliable. Is there an option that I can choose when to update. Please Evernote send a bug fix to everyone. This version is put live a little to early.

My Search is broken, Flikkering screen when I add notes, forced to use a white screen, and what else this is after 20 minutes using the new version....

13 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I'm not a user of this feature but I still see the option under Account -> Settings -> Camera -> Business Cards

I can see that it now automatically saves cards to contacts if that options is enabled. Not a bad thing....

• Like 1

Feedback for saved searches to different updates (iOS 10.2.1 each)

Update 8.0 on my Ipad Air - reboot/reinstall-orgy, all saved searches visible

Update 8.0.1 on Iphone and Ipad Mini - update without crashes (at least after first sync), but only one saved search visible. After syncing, after multiple use, after trying to refresh the last/saved searches list.

Appears to be a bug.

Favorites are fully visible (last notes and quick access), on all 3 devices.

Edited by evb
afterthought

Like everyone else, 8.0.1 for iOS crashes on both my iPad and iPhone.  Deleting and reinstalling "worked" for me, but is painful (note synopses had to be reloaded).

However, searching is now glacially slow and broken: searching within a notebook eventually (after waiting a while) results in a list of hits, with the contents of the first hit displayed.  Looks fine, but everything else is broken.  If I tap on the second hit, the note window gets erased, the second hit starts to be displayed, but then the window gets erased, and the contents of the first hit is again displayed.  If I tap on other hits, evernote always insists on displaying whatever note is displayed at the top of the window.

It turns out that, if you scroll the list of hits, evernote will always display the note at the top of the scrolled window, even if it's chopped off, when you tap on a hit.

Searching from the search tab seems to work.

(And the icon bar on the left side also partially obscures the number of cell service bars and the service provider name, which is a very unprofessional look.)

Do you people actually do any testing?

• Like 3

As expected after an update, a lot of moaning and groaning and "I'm not going to use this app ever". Its quite amusing to read. It's like Evernote is the only app to ever have bugs on first release. Bugs get reported. Bugs get resolved. Simple.

From a personal point of view - iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 - no crashes, no bugs. Things are in a different place, things have gone. No big deal. All in all, very good. Little bit naughty to remove features before asking users but I'm sure they'll notice and find some compromise.

Thanks, Evernote. Keep going :)

• Like 3

I just updated and, although it is working fine, there are two things that are annoying me:

• On the iPad, the sidebar cuts the device name + WiFi indicator + Network indicator. it makes really hard to see that there is some network going on.
  • The icon has a count indicator but there is no indication of what it is counting. Is it the number of reminders? The reminders for the day? Work chat? WHAT? If you're going to use the count badge, at least point in the app what I should check.

IMG_0009.PNG

IMG_0010.PNG

• Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 10:12 AM, mdk1 said:

Sigh. These are two big issues for me. I used to be able to see 6 notes at once on my iPhone 7 Plus screen  Now it's 4 notes.  

Is "manage tags" supposed to DO anything?  It's just a scrolling list.  Jeez.  

Overall I just hate every decision that went into this new version. It truly seems like change just for change sake. 

I'm a premium member but will likely let my subscription expire later this year. 

Exactly my thoughts. The new CEO, it seems, thinks of himself as a figure like Steve Jobs, who would revive the company back to it's former glory. But unfortunately, he , it turns out, looks like a guy who has no idea of Product Development and is definitely not a 'product guy' par se. I too have been a premium user since years and have more than 33,000 notes and about a hundred and fifty notebooks, which means, it is my primary work database, which I use as a work bench to get things done. But the past couple of years have been plain ***** for Evernote as regards the bugs and data loss and what not. And now they have changed the interface to make it look like Simplenote, which it has never been and can never be. These guys are destroying evernote to say the least. In the past few weeks, I have lost a bunch of notes, whereby, I annotated certain images and synced to find out that 70% of them went missing without a trace. Just wow! 

The new user interface means, I can only view 6-7 notes on my iPad at once. Earlier using the cards interface it used to be 12 notes at once. That's almost half of what it used to be. Of what use is my 10 inch screen for evernote? My iPad has become a big iPhone when it comes to using evernote, which is a huge pisser and a deal breaker in terms of UI and usability. Moreover, they took away the presentation mode for ever, when the world has already moved to close to 13 inches iPads, which are excellent for presenting things to a small group of people on a round table conference. Removing it from the iPad is so stupid that I am at a loss of words to express my frustation. My other iPad's are never getting the new evernote updates and as soon as my yearly subscription expires, I would be trying my best to consider switching, even though, it is going to be very difficult for me, at least in the initial months. 

***** happens!! 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DTLow said:

Repeating an earlier comment, you may want to not jump into upgrades.
Holdback and review the comments from other users

On my Mac, the upgrades have a specific beta option to chose or reject

So, instead of Evernote streamlining it's beta testing and giving users a warning (like so many of the best companies in the industry do, including Apple) you want the user to manage the beta testing process, by behaving as if every evernote version that comes up as an extensively tested (supposedly) update to actually be an ill tested beta version. You want the user to keep track of the updates, even when iOS is designed to be the exact opposite of that. That's sick! A normal user (let alone a premium one) is not a beta tester and beta testing cannot be imposed on users without offering a choice and a proper warning, like Apple does with their updating process. Moreover most users have their devices set up to auto update the apps. And for the most part and for most of the apps, it works as expected. No other major company does this kind of a disastrous update that is beta but is presented as a tested final release. And a user cannot be expected to put the auto updates to the switched off mode just for the sake of Evernote. So what do you want the users to do? Maintain a log of updates and research on each and every update besides turning off the auto update?  Or maybe you expect users  to create an evernote notebook specially for tracking every update and user reviews, and then do extensive research and stuffs before taking the plunge. Seriously? 

Premium customers pay evernote because they trust it. They trust evernote of all things, at least to be able to manage these software releases, so that their productivity is not hampered. They trust the app to be reliable and free of productivity-hampering bugs and bugs that tend to get their vital data lost into thin air, before they have the time to understand what's actually going around. 

It's evernote that has to change it's way of doing things, and not us, the users! Premium users like me, pay to evernote to be able to use it, and evernote doesn't pay us to be beta testers! 

So, my advice would be to not try to put the blame upon users, specially for the blames, the cause of which lies in evernote's processes and the way it handles it. 

Nothing personal with you, but I am very very very pissed off with all of this. Like really pissed off. 

• Like 4

Just noticed Evernote is still deleting the note below a new note you deleted. 

At least it goes to the trash and you can access it but for now be careful deleting anything and also review your trash folder before emptying it.

edit: ok I better make myself clearer.

1. Let's say you create a new note by accident because you are trying out the new user interface.

2. You exit the note and there is a green up arrow meaning it is syncing.

3. If you swipe to delete the note before the sync finishes Evernote will delete the new note but also grab the one immediately below it and send it to your Trash folder 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anime.sh said:

you want the user to manage the beta testing process, by behaving as if every evernote version that comes up as an extensively tested

I'm advising users to understand that new releases are not extensively tested

I'm advising users to hold back from jumping into a new release until the bugs have been identified and cleaned up

>>Moreover most users have their devices set up to auto update the apps.

Not a good idea - I would advise against this

>>my advice would be to not try to put the blame upon users

I'm not interested in the blame pointing
Just trying to help users on surviving the software upgrade process

• Like 1

On 2017-01-17 at 10:10 AM, cifip said:

It would help if you also add a list of issues you are following up on
There are quite a few posts in this discussion and we'd like to see that they are acknowledged

evernote 8 shows 1 notification; How do I tell what the notification is??? Overall not liking this update at all...crashed on install had to redo it.........

8 minutes ago, jimNH said:

evernote 8 shows 1 notification; How do I tell what the notification is??? Overall not liking this update at all...crashed on install had to redo it.........

well, in fairness, 7.x didn't tell you either, nor does the Mac version, nor does the Windows version. Reminder notifications are one big batch of mystery meat. Get a notification and play "find the reason I have a badge indicator" in the app. It might be a reminder, it might be a work chat, and good luck finding it!

• Like 1

Ed,

True 7.x was silent; But I have no work chat, and there are no notes with reminders showing in evernote on my win10 desktop....  Whack a mole would work if I could just find it :)

17 minutes ago, jimNH said:

evernote 8 shows 1 notification

The badge count is now all outstanding reminders
Previously it was ...... Well...I never really understood what it meant

I actually use reminder for task due dates, so now the badge shows my current task count
I don't need this, and its distracting

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The badge count is now all outstanding reminders
Previously it was ...... Well...I never really understood what it meant

I actually use reminder for task due dates, so now the badge shows my current task count
I don't need this, and its distracting

At least you can disable it, in the overal options in iOS, and that is what I just did.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ro&Co said:

Was this reinstall of the app?  I would love to know how to go back to v7, but already hit update on my app.  Now realise it was a mistake!

Here's how I did it: https://www.evernote.com/l/ACR2DbUyCYpMHKqkyxxxe9f_vln71tkL9R8

Requires iTunes. I learned long ago not to update the app version stored on my laptop until confirming the mobile update actually works. 

• Like 1

Agree with many users and seeing almost all the reported issues too on my iPad.  Had to uninstall and reinstall to stop crashing. 

Doesn't seem to crash now, but performance is horrible.  Opening an existing note with nothing more than simple one Lin of text, is taking 10 seconds on my iPad.  Did not seen that before this update. 

It is very frustrating to now be paying an annual fee and then take so many steps backwards in capability and performance especially since performace was one of the touted benefits of rel 8.0.

im an Evernote fan, but this is testing patience.

All that info in the OP would be great if Evernote would actually work.

I am opening Evernote on my iphone 5s and it won't stay open.  The flash screen disappears instantaneously. And yet the app is open in the app stack.  I click on that, but at that point the app disappears.  Wouldn't you know it, but I need to upload material to evernote urgently so that a remote sales person can access the data.  I have no idea whether this is only on iphones or also on ipad?  I rebooted the phone severasl times.  No luck.  Turned off Evernote on the desktop.  No luck.

I gotta tell you, Evernote, you took something that wasn't broke, and you broke it.  Very unhappy!  

Also unhappy to discover there seems to be no way to get in touch with support directly to open a ticket.  Kind of hard to expect a response when there are already 7 pages of comments,.  Did I say this already?  Very unhappy.

As for the advice that users refrain from updating the app until it is more stable, that's ridiculous.  I'm on auto update and haven't had a problem until now.  And it's not as if Evernote is a game or a nice to have app.  Like others here, I'm paying for the premium version, and I use it regularly.  And today I needed it urgently, and it failed.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, matt993 said:

As for the advice that users refrain from updating the app until it is more stable, that's ridiculous.

+1

• Like 1

On 2017-01-19 at 9:49 AM, matt993 said:

As for the advice that users refrain from updating the app until it is more stable, that's ridiculous.

I am advising users to hold off on this upgrade.  I'm seeing some serious issues

>>And it's not as if Evernote is a game or a nice to have app

No, for some people it's a critical app and IOS is the only version they have access to.  They should not be jumping into upgrades without knowing the details

16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I am advising users to hold off on this upgrade.  I'm seeing some serious issues

I think the point may be that the app shouldn't make it to the app store and into folks lives unless and until it is stable.  ;)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, csihilling said:

I think the point may be that the app shouldn't make it to the app store and into folks lives unless and until it is stable.  ;)

This shouldn't have to be stated. :(

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, csihilling said:

I like the Mac/Windows process where the release is clearly labeled "Beta - Use at your own risk"

I agree this release wasn't ready for the App Store public.  I'd like to see it withdrawn

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I agree this release wasn't ready for the App Store public.  I'd like to see it withdrawn

I think 7.x is a much better option for the general public right now.

On 1/17/2017 at 7:10 PM, cifip said:

Hi all,

We released Evernote for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch v8.0 earlier today.

Evernote 8.0 is a complete redesign emphasizing speed and simplicity. Capture your thoughts with ease, and find what you're looking for faster than ever. Bring beauty and clarity to your notes with an improved editing experience. In addition, this new app will lay the foundation for us to more easily build the features you've been requesting. We’re really excited, and we hope you are too.

What's New in Evernote 8.0:

• Quickly navigate between main sections of the app with the tab bar
    • Sections: Notes, Search, Note Creation (+), Shortcuts, and Account
    • Work Chat is now found inside the Account tab
    • Tag management has been moved into Account tab > Settings > Manage Tags
      • This is a simplified list, where you can delete tags or add a tag to Shortcuts

• Find your content more easily with the new note list
    • Browse notes and identify your images quickly with newly designed note previews
    • Switch between small, medium (default), or large previews by tapping Note List Options (in the overflow ‘…’ menu)
      • Medium and Large previews will show up to three thumbnails in the note list
      • You can still control sort order and whether or not to view images or snippet text
    • Filter a note list by pulling down slightly to expose a search box, tag filter, and reminder filter
    • Filter by tags: Tap the tag icon to select and apply tag filters
      • After selecting a tag, a filtered list of remaining tags are shown if you wish to refine further
    • Filter by reminders: Tap the reminder icon to view just your reminder notes
    • Manually sync: Pull down on the note list

• Switch between notebooks quickly
    • The notebook list is now opened from the top of the note list
    • When you first launch Evernote 8.0, you'll see All Notes at the top with a down arrow - tap that to open the notebook list including All Notes and Reminders collections
    • Tap the name of the notebook at the top of the screen to get to your notebook list
    • Swipe left on a notebook or stack to expose the settings button: use this to open notebook or stack settings to rename, add to stack, add to shortcuts, or change sharing permissions

• Create new notes with a multi-function + button
    • Tap the (+) button (aka new note skittle) to get right into the note editor
    • Long-press on the (+) button and drag to quickly create Audio, Photo, or Reminder notes
    • Or long-press on the (+) button and release to view these note creation options then tap the one you want
    • Swipe the keyboard down to save your note and enter View mode
    • Tapping Done will save and sync your note
      • If you leave your note title and note body empty, the note will be automatically removed

• Beautify your notes with a better formatting and styling options
    • On top of the keyboard, you'll see the new formatting navigation bar
      • ABC is the main keyboard
      • Next is the primary formatting button - this opens the formatting menu in the keyboard area
        • Change font style to bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, or highlight
        • Change text size to small, medium, or large
        • Change text color! (Swipe left for shades of gray)
      • The third button is for list and paragraph settings
      • The camera button launches our powerful document camera
      • The square + button will open an action sheet for other options of adding audio, sketch, files, or photos

• 2 ways to search
    • Search within a notebook by tapping in the search field at the top of the note list
    • Search your entire account from the search tab
      • See suggestions for notes, notebooks, and tags before running your search
      • Recent searches and saved searches are also on the Search tab

• Easy access to shortcuts
    • Access your shortcuts straight from the tab bar
    • Shortcuts area also shows your most recently viewed notes

• Evernote Business users - now switch between business and personal accounts
    • Evernote Business users can switch between personal and business accounts in two ways:
      • From the Account tab; just tap your name and select the account you want to view
      • Alternatively, you can long-press on the Account tab to launch the quick account switcher
    • Your notes, saved and recent searches, recent notes and shortcuts, and tags are now all separated by account within the app
    • To move a note between your personal or business accounts, within a note, tap on the notebook name and scroll to the bottom, and then tap "Move to another account" to open your business or personal notebook list.

What's coming soon:

• Context and related notes
  • 3D Touch Peek and Pop for note lists
  • Note list scrubber - ability to quickly move through long note lists
  • Enhanced (native) business card notes
  • View tags in note list - formerly on iPad only - we plan to bring the option to iPhone and iPad
  • Reminders enhancements

What's not returning:

• Home screen and home screen sections - primary navigation has been moved to the tab bar
  • Suggested note titles
  • Note "draft" mode
    • In v7, when you created a note you needed to save it. If you tapped cancel, you'd have the option to delete or save.
    • In v8, when you create a note, you tap done to save the note. If you decided you didn't want the note, you can delete it. This should cut down in inadvertent data loss.
Read more about the Evernote 8 launch on our blog: Evernote 8.0: Organization Made Simple.

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

January 18 Update

Hi all,

• Top crasher

Even if I'm not using all the functionalities (presentation for example), this nit acceptable. Just rolled back to previous version and, of course, deactivated the automatic update in my iPhone and iPad. A disaster this version. Users were not consulted, this is clear and paying for Evernote Premium does not imply we are beta-testers because it is clear that this was not tested.

28 minutes ago, EdH said:

This shouldn't have to be stated. :(

True that.

I am very disappointed that you have gotten rid of home screen. I use evernote on my iphone, mac and ipad for both personal and professional work. With home screen I could keep the info that was visible to a minimum so at meetings the people next to me aren't reading about my pet's needs, etc. Work-arounds now are more difficult and will require more upkeep. Also there is less info density - I have to scroll or search more. Please consider bring back some kind of home screen option for those who need it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I like the Mac/Windows process where the release is clearly labeled "Beta - Use at your own risk"

I submitted a complaint to Apple stating this is an untested beta which I believe was released by accident. 

Hi,

Does anyone have an answer to viewing tags in their stacks?  Sorry if I missed a related conversation above.  Thanks 

3 minutes ago, RevKAC said:

Does anyone have an answer to viewing tags in their stacks?

Tag hierarchy is not awailable in IOS

The best I could do was to prefix my tags so they sort and are extracted in the tag drop down list (assigning tags to a note)

Screen issue - hidden text box when adding a tag to a note

I click on the (i) and then "Add tag" (I know; I should click on the + icon)

The keyboard appears but no text box.  It's only after I start typing that the text box appears

As some users have already mentioned the app is significantly slower than the one before and not faster as Evernote claims in their announcement. I have about 4000 notes and it sometimes takes several seconds on my iPad air 2 until a note's content appears after tapping on the list entry. Another 'fake news' by evernote.

I hate to say this but I think that Evernote is not interested in being a feature-rich platform for power users anymore. 

I was first very worried by the low density beta web version with fewer options and features. Now they release a poorly functional iOS version and drop numerous features while lowering the information density. 

My fear is that the macOS version is next on the chopping block.

Many users have lost notes irrevocably and even though I'm a premium user, it's unclear support will be able to recover the note that 8.0 spontaneously expunged.

• Like 1

Just installed the Evernote 8.0 release on my iPad4 running IOS 10.2 (Latest) - CRASH and BURN! 

Since the 8.0 update, Evernote 8.0 will get to a blank white screen for about 5 seconds and then close.  With the amount of money I pay for Evernote Premium, I would expect release testing on common devices at minimum before release.  What kind of release engineering cycle if any goes on with this product?

1 hour ago, Tcellguy said:

I hate to say this but I think that Evernote is not interested in being a feature-rich platform for power users anymore

My impression is this release has some serious bugs that neen to be fixed

I'm not reading anything else into it

• Like 1

I sincerely hope you are correct andt that the eventual goal is to return many of the removed features. 

Looking at the comments in the Facebook announcement of iOS v8, it's clear that many people are not happy with removal of features like location tags, presentation mode, themes, home page, etc. 

This should have stayed in beta like the simplified web version.

• Like 1

A note that I've used for at least 3 years and updated frequently COMPLETELY DISAPPEARED yesterday, from both my windows computer and iOS devices. It isn't in the trash, and I didn't delete it - it just disappeared. It contained a lot of detailed information about my personal budget tracking -- is there any way to recover it??? I've never had this happen in 6+ years of using Evernote and I'm really frustrated by it. If I upgrade to access the support team, will they actually be able to recover my note??

37 minutes ago, Tcellguy said:

I sincerely hope you are correct andt that the eventual goal is to return many of the removed features. 

Looking at the comments in the Facebook announcement of iOS v8, it's clear that many people are not happy with removal of features like location tags, presentation mode, themes, home page, etc. 

This should have stayed in beta like the simplified web version.

I kinda miss themes would be nice to have something besides white/grey in the borders of the app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tcellguy said:

Neither are the few hundred reviews in the APP STORE. 8.01 Has a less than 1.5 star rating. 8.0 was about the same before the 8.01 release removed all of that.

That compared to a 4 star overall before. 

Twitter replies aren't any better. :(

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JBiason said:

I just updated and, although it is working fine, there are two things that are annoying me:

• On the iPad, the sidebar cuts the device name + WiFi indicator + Network indicator. it makes really hard to see that there is some network going on.
  • The icon has a count indicator but there is no indication of what it is counting. Is it the number of reminders? The reminders for the day? Work chat? WHAT? If you're going to use the count badge, at least point in the app what I should check.

IMG_0009.PNG

IMG_0010.PNG

Same here! 

• Like 1

Evernote 8.0.1 installed on my iPhone 5 on 1/18/2017.  When I open Evernote a browser frame appears and then disappears.  When I double-click the home button I see the normal Evernote process running and when I click the Evernote process it disappears.  I've tried rebooting the iPhone but it still doesn't work.  I tried 5 other apps on my iPhone and they all work fine.  Evernote desktop on my Windows PC works fine too.  This appears to be a bug to me.

Wow. Plus user, really disappointed in this release. It CRAWLS. Takes literally seconds to respond to clicks. What did you do to this app?!?  I rely on this app. It's unusable now. 

On 1/17/2017 at 11:10 AM, cifip said:

Evernote 8.0 is a complete redesign emphasizing speed....

Will you guys be making a statement re this?  For me the iPhone smokes, but the iPad takes so long I forget what I trying to do.  What is the difference in the two apps?