Legacy vs Current Version

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

• Level 5

My Windows Evernote app tells me there's a new version waiting to install, but I'm not going to let it till v. 10.60 is out. Poking around, I found a folder called C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\evernote-client-updater\pending, in which the 10.59.5 installer was lurking, along with an associated .json file. I deleted them, but I assume they will come back at some point.

Somebody may already have given this info, but is there any chance the 10.58 installer is still around on my machine? If so, where? In case I do accidentally install 10.59, and in case (not being @gazumped) I do have problems with it.

• Evernote Expert
3 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Somebody may already have given this info, but is there any chance the 10.58 installer is still around on my machine? If so, where? In case I do accidentally install 10.59, and in case (not being @gazumped) I do have problems with it.

No. But if you run Windows and were to be updated by surprise you could use the Windows System Restore feature and go back to the day before.

• Like 1

@Dave-in-Decatur There is also some discussion here about how to stop auto-updates, which might be another approach.

So far so good.

I like your suggestion of deleting the file before it updates you.

I get exactly the same train crash experience on the web version of 10.59 as the desktop version. So if you want to see whether you are one of the people who is effected you could have a play with that. I assume that if 10.59 works well for you there are bug fixes even if you are not desperate to move your local database.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
10 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I get exactly the same train crash experience on the web version of 10.59 as the desktop version. So if you want to see whether you are one of the people who is effected you could have a play with that. I assume that if 10.59 works well for you there are bug fixes even if you are not desperate to move your local database.

Ah ha! I do indeed have 10.59.5 of the Web client, and indeed I experience some of the reported issues:

• searching in a notebook is denied with the pop-up message: "Permissions lost..."
  • sometimes global search in all notes returns the full note list.
  • scrolling to the bottom of a long results list (> 128 notes) jumps back to the top of the list.

Ergo, I'll have to be careful using the Web client, and I will rigorously guard against any installations of the 10.59.5 Windows app. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
44 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Ah ha! I do indeed have 10.59.5 of the Web client, and indeed I experience some of the reported issues:

• searching in a notebook is denied with the pop-up message: "Permissions lost..."
  • sometimes global search in all notes returns the full note list.
  • scrolling to the bottom of a long results list (> 128 notes) jumps back to the top of the list.

Welcome to the club.

• Level 5*

See all the posts about the new version so what the hey.  I go to the browser version and it takes about 20 seconds to open up.  I see one note in my old INBOX so I drag it to the main notebook.  Goes about a minute and fails with a message.  Try again goes 40 seconds and same fail.  Use the menu and it takes about 15 seconds to move.  Move mission accomplished.  Enter two tag names in the search bar and 5 seconds later the list is complete and the first note  (PDF) is displayed (108 notes found).  Stopped testing at this point.  Still a bit slow for me.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, CalS said:

See all the posts about the new version so what the hey.  I go to the browser version and it takes about 20 seconds to open up.  I see one note in my old INBOX so I drag it to the main notebook.  Goes about a minute and fails with a message.  Try again goes 40 seconds and same fail.  Use the menu and it takes about 15 seconds to move.  Move mission accomplished.  Enter two tag names in the search bar and 5 seconds later the list is complete and the first note  (PDF) is displayed (108 notes found).  Stopped testing at this point.  Still a bit slow for me.  🤷‍♂️

Yes, because of all the other issues, I didn't even mention the performance regression in this release:

note creation: 3 to 10 seconds,  note deletion: several seconds or sometimes no delete at all, moving to other notebook: seconds

• Sad 1
6 minutes ago, eric99 said:

Yes, because of all the other issues, I didn't even mention the performance regression in this release:

note creation: 3 to 10 seconds,  note deletion: several seconds or sometimes no delete at all, moving to other notebook: seconds

I hope with all that regression that they don't forget to regress the prices too 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, eric99 said:

I hope with all that regression that they don't forget to regress the prices too 😏

Unfortunately, they did forget.  My cost increase notification just came in ...

This topic used to be 'Legacy vs Current Version' and seems it has turned into a demonstration of why some of us stick to Legacy and only play with V10 now and then and run back the safety of Legacy.

Some of us doubt the development team and their ability to understand they are working on dead-serious, mission-critical software, not a game.  Serious software usually has a stable release channel and a beta stream for those who enjoy testing and being on the bleeding edge.

Is it my imagination, or did/does legacy not have an option to choose to try the latest or wait for the next stable release? 

Yes. It does!  "Enable beta features and updates" is in Options. Those were the good old days

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, allendick said:

Some of us doubt the development team and their ability to understand they are working on dead-serious, mission-critical software, not a game.  Serious software usually has a stable release channel and a beta stream for those who enjoy testing and being on the bleeding edge.

Evernote 10 does of course have a beta program. Some of the folks here are in it I believe. What I don't understand is how such a mess as v. 10.59.5 seems to be got out of beta.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

What I don't understand is how such a mess as v. 10.59.5 seems to be got out of beta.

Well some of us didn't step into the mess - 10.59.5 seems to be affecting some users,  but not all.  So maybe there are extenuating circumstances like testing didn't show any red flags?  Hopefully the next release will fix things...

3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Evernote 10 does of course have a beta program. Some of the folks here are in it I believe. What I don't understand is how such a mess as v. 10.59.5 seems to be got out of beta.

Evernote certainly does have a beta program for major enhancements like tasks, Home and RTE. With the roughly 2 week release cycle I'm not sure that this program extends to each release, or whether it would even be practical.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Mike P said:

Evernote certainly does have a beta program for major enhancements like tasks, Home and RTE. With the roughly 2 week release cycle I'm not sure that this program extends to each release, or whether it would even be practical.

I assume that most users who stick with Legacy, like myself are unaware of all the twists and turns and insider opportunities. 

For us Evernote is a utility, like water and sewer, not a game or a hobby.  Utilities should seldom require upgrading, require attention, or behave unexpectedly.

I can't recall any receiving any useful communication from Evernote. Anything I have seen recently was promoting 'features' that do not interest me and promoting the current buggy stream.   

Evernote used to have a much richer options panel and information in 'Options' in V10 is limited and uninformative.

Obviously there are those of you who frequent this board, update frequently and anticipate the additions and changes, and have the time and interest to make Evernote a hobby. 

I am not one and only come here out of fear that I will suddenly be forced to give up a trusted utility and find myself experiencing the time-wasting and data loss disasters that are so well documented elsewhere in this forum -- and suddenly even now in this thread.

I suggest the majority of users just want stable, unchanging software with only major and well tested upgrades released infrequently -- and for valid reasons.

• Like 7
  • Level 5

It’s not all about supernannying the users - a little initiative is required.

Check out the official EN YT-channel for example. It is (was ?) maintained pretty well, and holds a ton of videos. Many are really short, and treat only one feature. Others are more oriented at Workflows.

Pretty comprehensive.

Whenever I see a pink elephant, I know the topic is over, even if I started the thread and hoped for sober on-topic discussion.

The message is always the same -- I am wrong to expect stable and fully functional software and if I get worried enough to explain my concerns here in spite of the risk of being patronized and directed to the maze of 'help', I need to be put back on the path by someone who obviously has far too much time on his hands and haunts the forum.

I am always told there is a cure: the developers are right; I am wrong.  I should get with the program and suffer with the rest and waste time at moments when I need the software to just work trying to deal with changes and bugs. 

This reminds me of the early days of Windoze and when we used to sell computers and software that, "almost worked most of the time".

That cure is obviously no cure given the issues that even the faithful are encountering.

I have no time for this.

Kool-Aid?  No thank you, but thanks for the fish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Level 5*
36 minutes ago, allendick said:

I am wrong to expect stable and fully functional software

A lot of people seem to equate using a computer service like using a car - you get in,  turn it on,  drive to where you need to be and park.  Rince and repeat.  The vehicle does what it needs to when you need it.  No special expertise required.  (A message that's hammered home by all the advertising)

Except you need fuel,  insurance,  tax,  servicing,  accident repairs,  accessories .... and agreed some owners get too involved with nitro fuels and loud exhausts,  but if you own a car you also have quite a range of expertise and activity outside of stepping on the loud pedal.  Not least you had to learn to drive (I hope) before you were allowed near it.  And you know that drinking and driving is a bad idea.

Now sadly,  we don't require an IT certificate to be active online - but if you want to be able to do so,  you have to accept some responsibility for the care and maintenance of your 'vehicle' whether it be a battered laptop or an online service. 

There are help pages,  blogs, support groups (Hi there!), journalists and videos (amongst many other things) to refer to.  It's up to you to get involved to whatever extent you feel happy with,  but you do need to get involved,  to protect your own interests and avoid too many crises.

Now I'm sure some happy chappy is going to point out "but cars don't randomly stop in the middle of the street while you're driving,  or throw some other tantrum for no reason". 

You've heard of Tesla,  right? 

And tow truck companies don't exist for no reason...  just sayin'

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

I don't know Gaz, the cars of this decade require a lot less maintenance than the cars of yore.  Some of these recent posts re V10 seem more about the inconvenience of an oil change every week which doesn't go quite right.  As we all know old EN had its own set of issues with this.  😉

Legacy vs V10 totally different story.  That ship has sailed.  If one doesn't care for V10 for missing functionality and then is faced with oopses in V10 it's a bit of a double whammy perhaps?  

In general, maybe if there isn't a specific issue the venters should just be allowed to vent without "reprimand"?  They may very well be right in their world.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Level 5
6 hours ago, allendick said:

I assume that most users who stick with Legacy, like myself are unaware of all the twists and turns and insider opportunities.

For us Evernote is a utility, like water and sewer, not a game or a hobby.  Utilities should seldom require upgrading, require attention, or behave unexpectedly....

Obviously there are those of you who frequent this board, update frequently and anticipate the additions and changes, and have the time and interest to make Evernote a hobby. 

@allendick, you say that another user, the Rosy Pachyderm, puts an end to conversation. But what is this? Painting yourself and your fellow Legacy enthusiasts as the serious users of Evernote, and those of us who find v. 10 preferable as mere hobbyists--it's insulting and unfair. I've read enough of your posts to know that you can do better than this. Humbly asking you please to do so.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, CalS said:

venters should just be allowed to vent without "reprimand"?

It would make a lot less work for the volunteers (including,  of course,  yourself from time to time) not to have to read through a long diatribe about how the software is unreliable,  the staff incompetent,  and anyone who says anything to the contrary is a fanboi.  The sad thing is that the forum is a potentially useful resource for users with issues,  and statements like  "it's not possible to download more than 100 notes",  and "Evernote doesn't publish a support address" really need to be corrected because they're wrong.

My 'car' generalisations above were intended to try to gently point out that no app or website is immune from outages*,  and when (not if) they occur,  there are a lot of people running around like mad things trying to patch it all back together.  Having a peanut gallery shouting at them from the sidelines  is both unkind and unnecessary.

*My new mate Hal** found a few examples for me...  (he's limited to pre-2021 cases,  but you get the picture)

1. Amazon Web Services (AWS) Outage (February 28, 2017): A human error led to an Amazon S3 service outage, causing several websites and services that rely on AWS infrastructure to experience disruptions. Websites like Quora, Trello, and Slack were affected.
  2. Cloudflare Outage (July 17, 2020): Cloudflare, a content delivery network and cybersecurity company, experienced an outage that affected numerous websites relying on their services. The cause was attributed to a bad software deployment.
  3. GitHub Outage (October 21, 2020): GitHub, a popular platform for software development collaboration, experienced a significant outage that lasted for several hours. The issue was related to a network configuration error.
  4. Reddit Outage (August 11, 2020): Reddit, a well-known social media platform, suffered a widespread outage that lasted for a few hours. The cause of the outage was not publicly disclosed.
  5. Salesforce Outage (May 17, 2019): Salesforce, a leading customer relationship management (CRM) platform, experienced an outage that affected many of its users. The disruption was attributed to a faulty database script deployment.

** Chat GPT - my new means to achieving super-laziness

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the thoughtful, constructive, if off-topic post.  I agree with the following.

The sad thing is that the forum is a potentially useful resource for users with issues,  and statements like  "it's not possible to download more than 100 notes",  and "Evernote doesn't publish a support address" really need to be corrected because they're wrong.

This could be a great resource. Problem is the same subtle bullies show up in every thread repeating the same propaganda and telling people what to think. 

I am sure this experience discourages people from posting or even reading here. I know I always eventually regret coming here.  It is a fan club and echo chamber that seeming provides entertainment for a number of perennial know-it-alls.  Granted these guys could be very useful if they stuck to technical info, but some cannot resist telling others what to think. 

I am gone now for good but have appreciated the constructive and on-topic posts that actually provided useful information and was entertained when a problematic upgrade burst into this thread illustrating exactly what I was addressing.

Sadly the same bad apples always eventually hijack and deprecate any thread I start. 

They must live under the bridge.  They are always here. 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

statements like  "it's not possible to download more than 100 notes",  and "Evernote doesn't publish a support address" really need to be corrected because they're wrong.

Agree 100% that flat out errors should be corrected. And whining about missing features from Legacy is a waste of pixels at this point.

It's that opinion slippery slope - slow, buggy of late. whatever - that is conditional to the user that could benefit a bit of tolerance or ignoring.  Though why vent here without specifics and a request for help is still a mystery to me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 7/28/2023 at 4:16 PM, allendick said:

This could be a great resource. Problem is the same subtle bullies show up in every thread repeating the same propaganda and telling people what to think. 

I am sure this experience discourages people from posting or even reading here. I know I always eventually regret coming here.  It is a fan club and echo chamber that seeming provides entertainment for a number of perennial know-it-alls.  Granted these guys could be very useful if they stuck to technical info, but some cannot resist telling others what to think. 

I am gone now for good but have appreciated the constructive and on-topic posts that actually provided useful information and was entertained when a problematic upgrade burst into this thread illustrating exactly what I was addressing.

Sadly the same bad apples always eventually hijack and deprecate any thread I start. 

They must live under the bridge.  They are always here. 

I have to agree. Instead of help, there are so many instances of "you're using it wrong", or poo-pooing the very valid reasons that people have for preferring the Legacy version.

I just spent this weekend finishing up the program I wrote to export all my notes, in the way I want them, from the ENEX files. I wanted to get it done, since I do not trust Evernote to not cut me off at the knees and have Legacy stop working with no date specified (just screaming at me every day to upgrade). So I back up my notebooks daily to ENEX, so I don't lose my data. And the day it dies, I will go to plan B.

So sad, that after being a paid member since 2009, it has come to this. I have not found anything that replaces Evernote Legacy (and the new version is certainly not it). But at least my PDFs (99% of my 10K+ notes) are safe. With renewal in October, that was a hard date to get the program done, but with some of the more recent happenings, I had no assurance that Legacy would last even until then.

It was a fun ride, and I wish I could have stayed with Evernote, but when a company removes major functionality that people depend on, there's not much choice.

• Like 5
  • Confused 2
  • Level 5

There is no valid reason to still use legacy. It is now deprecated for nearly 3 years. Using it after that time is plain inertia or procrastination.

I don’t say you have to use v10 - but there was ample time now to find ANY solution that works for you, and migrate.

Nobody should object when one fine day - boom - legacy is gone, and the frenzy starts.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There is no valid reason to still use legacy. It is now deprecated for nearly 3 years. Using it after that time is plain inertia or procrastination.

I don’t say you have to use v10 - but there was ample time now to find ANY solution that works for you, and migrate.

Nobody should object when one fine day - boom - legacy is gone, and the frenzy starts.

This is exactly the attitude I was referring to. YOU have no valid reason to use Legacy. It is incredibly arrogant to claim that I do not have one. Let me give you a hint: Local Notebooks

And yes, there has been plenty of time, and I have been looking, for years. Tried quite a few alternatives. And I have not found anything that does for me what Legacy does.  So I am rolling my own, as much as I can.

I knew this day would come, I am not saying it is a surprise of any kind.

• Like 7
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

There is no valid reason to still use legacy.

For myself, using a Mac;  Evernote Legacy supports integrated scripting via Applescript   
This was also useful in transferring my notes to a new platform   🙂

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

There is no valid reason to still use legacy.

My reason — and I do consider it valid, apologies — is that V10 is still not a replacement for it. Before you write that V10 is not intended to be a replacement at all, if humbly submit that it is called V10, which suggests to me that it is the version following 9 (and all others).

Having been a paying customer for some 15 years, I’d think I have the legitimate expectation that V10 will indeed be a replacement for legacy. 

But it is, of course, s replacement for legacy for those users, who accept it for such. 

I find it very hard to do so. 

And again, this is irrational. I still don’t get it: what do they want to achieve (eg. by not providing simple things as the delete function for import folders for three years)?

But I do get the part that you are ver satisfied and think this is good business practice. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

From the reactions, I think you all got the message, but you don’t like it.

It is like watching a train wreck between your use cases and an app, but by closing your eyes expecting that now nothing will happen, because you can’t see it any more. So just to wrap it up again:

1. v10 after nearly 3 years is now more or less what we will ever get (maybe minus some bugs, which would be highly appreciated). There will be no major changes in the overall design, and the function set is probably at least 90% of what it will ever be. Disclaimer: Maybe BS will give us a surprise one day in the future, but we can’t know.
  2. Legacy is now nearly 3 years dead, and the last devs that maybe knew something about it are today honing their profiles on LinkedIn, instead of honing code. Who still uses legacy does so on borrowed time, every day.
  3. Everyone of you is responsible for himself, how to support his use cases, how to make his life efficient and organized, maybe how to have some fun using the apps that help to manage by. You can’t blame anybody, because up to now you decided at least 2 times to renew your subscription*, knowing exactly what is and somewhat what will be. (* and Free users decided to lump on, it’s Free, isn’t it …). You were forced to make a choice on each renewal, and you decided to continue. Not a nickel of what you voluntarily paid went into legacy - if you wanted to keep it alive, you just wasted your money.

So again: This is not about legacy vs. v10 vs. any-other-app. It is about yourself, your tools and how to win back control over all of it. Or stay drifting, but then stop complaining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

This really is becoming a food fight. And not with very appealing food, either.

My thoughts: local notebooks became important for some people's ways of using Evernote, and are gone in v. 10, apparently never to return. Same for some other features of v. 6 and earlier. OTOH, v. 10 can do things that v. 6 never could, such as provide a uniform appearance for notes across all platforms, and a correspondingly similar interface. It has the Home page, it has real time editing, it has tasks.... Some people need these more than local notebooks, etc., some people need them less. Some people, TBH, are more ready or more able to adapt their workflows and habits than others. While we may have our opinions about these needs and tendencies, there's really nothing to gain from casting aspersions.

Legacy is all that it ever was and is ever going to be, and will remain so until it ceases to be. Best to make a plan B before that happens, and obviously many people are doing so. V. 10 has about all the features from Legacy that it's likely to get, though it's probably not done adding new features. If the new editing and syncing features become really stable and robust, if the new AI cleanup becomes something worth using and doesn't steal your stuff, v. 10 will be a fine piece of work and a fine tool to work with--for me, in my opinion.

Is there more to say? Oh surely there must be, though whether it needs saying may be another question. Sigh. I'll find a different thread to haunt.

PS. V. 10's current ghastly bug-fest, which render v. 10.59.5 of the desktop and Web apps difficult to use at best, and v. 10.52.1 of Android virtually unusable in some situations, has nothing to do with whether v. 10 as such is better than v. 6 as such. It does say something about whether BenSpoo is really capable of managing and developing this software, and at the moment that is what is giving me something of the heebie-jeebies. (Was heisst das auf Deutsch?)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

heebie-jeebies. (Was heisst das auf Deutsch?)

... oder auch "Gänsehaut [bekommen]".
... beschreibt schön das Gefühl, das einen ob des EN-Gebahrens beschleicht: Eigentlich bedeutet "Evernote" ja "Notizen auf ewig" - und das sind sie ja auch - egal mit welchem Client ich mich ihrer bediene.

Der unterschwellige Druck, den EN ausübt lässt Zweifel daran aufkommen... Was, wenn EN dereinst beschließt, von der eigenen Aussage "auf ewig" abzugehen?

Oups - sorry 😉
.. describes nicely the feeling that creeps over you: Actually "Evernote" means "notes forever" - and that's what they are - no matter which client I use to maintain them.

The subliminal pressure that EN exerts makes me doubt that... What if EN decides one day to depart from its own statement "forever"?

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I've found the new version is noticeably slower. I've got one note that seems too large for the new version and completely refuses to open (well it opens, but shows as completely blank), yet opens fine in legacy. That's pretty much why I'm sticking with legacy for now, if the new version worked as it should then I'd move over. But until then

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
25 minutes ago, cyanideandwhiskey said:

I've got one note that seems too large for the new version

A radical idea I know,  but it is possible to split notes into smaller sections - and in general smaller is better (unless you're dealing with an image) since any fat-fingering is far less likely to cost you the whole note.  Small losses = small delays.  Evernote is not the best place for HD images.

I'm finding that v10 handles my 62K+ notes fine,  and there are a few manuals with pictures that push over 10MB,  so take a while to load depending on the network connection available.  Good luck with Legacy...

• Level 5
46 minutes ago, cyanideandwhiskey said:

I've found the new version is noticeably slower. I've got one note that seems too large for the new version and completely refuses to open (well it opens, but shows as completely blank), yet opens fine in legacy. That's pretty much why I'm sticking with legacy for now, if the new version worked as it should then I'd move over. But until then

The perceived slowness of v. 10 probably has to do with the fact that it runs inside a framework (Electron), which adds to the overhead but allows it to run on multiple platforms without having to write and debug separate apps for each platform. (As I understand it, which is not perfectly.)

But if a particular note is opening blank, that's a separate problem. I assume the content is still there as viewed in Legacy. Have you tried looking at it in the Web client, which is also v. 10 (https://www.evernote.com/client/web)? If it's a really long note, and was created before May of this year, v. 10 may need to update it to the new sync structure, which could take some time to display. Is it a text note, or are there images?

Don't take it personally @allendick.  Evernote's forums have always been haunted by apologists desperate to hush any whisper of discontent.  Some of the names have changed, and some of them haven't.

But, Evernote Legacy is a dead duck, so let's explore alternatives that offer PDF index and search, local notes (Evernote security is literally nil), and sync between a healthy selection of platforms.  At the moment, I'm most interested in Paperless-ngx and Obsidian.

Admittedly, Paperless-ngx is a roll-your-own kind of platform and requires some skills - but it's open source, it is simplified by using Docker, and the independence may just well be worth it.

On the other hand, Obsidian at this early look seems to be more polished, has multi-platform sync, and might insulate the customer from the bits and bytes of it all... but if that's at the same cost (of independence) that Evernote has equated to in the end,... my money is back on Paperless-ngx.

In any event, good luck in your search for a notes tool that fits your needs, and not someone else's.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Your lack of knowledge is only bypassed by your foul spirit against fellow users, who contribute more than you can imagine.

Paperless ngx - a DMS, not a note taking application. There may be a little overlap, but not very large. I doubt many users who decided to use a cloud based service like EN will occupy themselves by installing and maintaining a Docker application landscape on a self operated server.

EN security is better than your information about it. What are your key arguments that EN security would be "literally nil" ? You boast with this information, so you must have something substantial to tell. Or is is just poorly understood hearsay, combined with a large dose of badwill ?

Obsidian is mentioned from time to time. If you want to use the syncing offer, you need to subscribe. The price is more or less the same as EN Personal. Not much to gain there, please move on.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Oy, more food-fighting. @AllenLook, why not go ahead and name the names, instead of the usual passive-aggressive insults spread wide. (I like to know whether I'm being accused of something or not.)

WRT alternative services, respectfully, there are several ongoing threads on that, which might offer a fuller space for discussion than this one, dedicated to Legacy-vs.-v.-10.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Dave.  It is hard to keep from being hijacked by the usuals restating the usual agendas. 

I appreciate any on-topic comments that happen to be posted.

Personally, I have not looked at V10 for well over a month after finding I was spending more time navigating the software than doing actual work.  However, I pop in here from time to time to see if there is good news and leave disappointed.

Off-topic: how do I stop the V10 software from greeting me when I open it? It is not my friend and this familiarity from so zeros and ones is uncalled for and, frankly, is amateurish and unprofessional.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, allendick said:

Off-topic: how do I stop the V10 software from greeting me when I open it? It is not my friend and this familiarity from so zeros and ones is uncalled for and, frankly, is amateurish and unprofessional.

Best I can suggest would be this - 

Settings.thumb.jpg.bf476e3a3af352288030b26b25007f79.jpg

Works on desktop, but I suspect it is hiding somewhere. Regardless, the Android app is far too familiar and wastes space greeting me.  Maybe I need to tweak it but I don't use it often and it seems different every time I open it.

I only use it to find something I entered on the desktop and was shocked a few times to find it does not sync until opened and I was out of coverage -- like on an airplane. I have about fifty unused GB on the phone and would have expected at least recent notes to sync but apparently not. I gather I have to put everything in 'offline' for that, maybe not and I have no idea if that works. Evernote is not my hobby. It is just a tool.

• Like 1

I found that switching to Apple’s Notes is so improved that I actually like it better than Legacy Evernote!  I’ll be willing to pay for iCloud storage if my library exceeds the free version, and it will be sooo much less than Evernote’s extortion subscription now. You’re welcome!

I can even save web articles with all the imagery and same filing system as EN, it’s just way easier to use and far more intuitive. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, GenTeal said:

I found that switching to Apple’s Notes is so improved that I actually like it better than Legacy Evernote! 

Unfortunately not a viable path for Windows users, as Apple doesn’t prove the app on Windows. 

• Level 5

It is interesting that Apple users are better off with alternatives. Both Apple Notes and as a more complete solution DevonThink are Apple ecosystem only. Both make extensive use of functions and features that Apple offers with MacOS for free - so they will probably never show up on anything running under Windows.

Another good reason to switch to the best computers money can buy (well, hrrgh, in fact quite some money ...).

• Level 5
5 hours ago, allendick said:

I see that we are not the only people wondering where Evernote is going.

5 Best Evernote Alternatives (howtogeek.com)

Yes indeed, EN must be in big trouble. Why, they actually say:

Remember: Evernote is a rich note-taking app. It has a huge number of features including the ability to upload within notes, a system of tags, inter-note linking, a notebook organization structure (with collections to combine multiple notebooks), a reminders system, and the ability to “clip” content like a web page. When you’re replacing Evernote, you’ll need to take heed of this feature set to avoid missing out on something you truly depend on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Articles like that are a dime a dozen:

The Obsidian one says Evernote "Lacks real-time collaboration," which is not correct.

Quote from the OneNote one:

Get ready to experience a note-taking revolution with Evernote, the best free OneNote alternative.

Quote from the Apple Notes one:

Evernote is one of the staples in the note-taking app scene, and it will come up as the most recommended replacement for Apple Notes. It’s an app that blurs the line between note-taking apps and word processors. We recommend it to people needing a powerhouse for more advanced note-taking.

Seems like the only place Evernote gets no respect is on these forums.

• Like 2
On 7/30/2023 at 12:06 PM, eddyj said:

I have to agree. Instead of help, there are so many instances of "you're using it wrong", or poo-pooing the very valid reasons that people have for preferring the Legacy version.

I just spent this weekend finishing up the program I wrote to export all my notes, in the way I want them, from the ENEX files. I wanted to get it done, since I do not trust Evernote to not cut me off at the knees and have Legacy stop working with no date specified (just screaming at me every day to upgrade). So I back up my notebooks daily to ENEX, so I don't lose my data. And the day it dies, I will go to plan B.

So sad, that after being a paid member since 2009, it has come to this. I have not found anything that replaces Evernote Legacy (and the new version is certainly not it). But at least my PDFs (99% of my 10K+ notes) are safe. With renewal in October, that was a hard date to get the program done, but with some of the more recent happenings, I had no assurance that Legacy would last even until then.

It was a fun ride, and I wish I could have stayed with Evernote, but when a company removes major functionality that people depend on, there's not much choice.

If you have Apple, Notes is so much like Evernote used to be!  And it’s free. And no device limits. I love it so far and I’m using iCloud just for Notes so it syncs to all my devices. 

• Like 1

Ok…for those who just want simplicity and an app that’s intuitive and just works as expected,   Apple Notes is great. It reminds me of the Evernote I fell in love with years ago. 

I still see thumbnail images (just like Evernote snippets or icon view), and I can organize my notes exactly the same way. And Notes is surprisingly advanced. I had an old note in Evernote from my dad’s memorial about a story that was told. Then I just went to a family reunion and saw a photo of that story, as well as getting a video clip of another family member sharing that story about my dad. So once I imported my note into Apple, I also added that photo and video to that same note. What a cool way to remember stories!  I can collaborate, annotate. 

I’m just saying this because Apple Notes has come a long way, and it just keeps getting better. Plus on an Apple platform, the OCR search feature is lightening speed. I don’t think Evernote has ever worked fast with Apple platforms. I can access all my notes so much faster on my iPhone.

If someone needs Evernote for some other reason, then stay with Evernote. I can buy a new Mac every several years with the savings though. 🤔

• Level 5

You are buying cheap Macs then. Would do for a rather bare bone Mac Mini after several years. Apple Notes borrows heavily on MacOS features. Nice for Mac users, not usable for cross platform.

And there are several dysfunctions, maybe the largest the inability to export the data in a structure that is easily and correctly imported by other apps.

4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You are buying cheap Macs then. Would do for a rather bare bone Mac Mini after several years. Apple Notes borrows heavily on MacOS features. Nice for Mac users, not usable for cross platform.

And there are several dysfunctions, maybe the largest the inability to export the data in a structure that is easily and correctly imported by other apps.

It's actually available cross platform now via browser. I have a few shared folders with other authors and a few are on Windows machines. They just log in to iCloud via a browser and we share all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

You can access your account, like with other Apple apps. I'm familiar with the possibility.

It's a pale shadow of the app running natively on a Mac or iOS. No comparison with the EN web client, that is a nearly complete twin of the desktop clients.

6 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You can access your account, like with other Apple apps. I'm familiar with the possibility.

It's a pale shadow of the app running natively on a Mac or iOS. No comparison with the EN web client, that is a nearly complete twin of the desktop clients.

I agree with ya there. I'm a native app girl, but there is a possibility for sure.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Apple Notes borrows heavily on MacOS features. Nice for Mac users, not usable for cross platform.

"A farmer has some chickens who don't lay any eggs. The farmer calls a physicist to help. The physicist does some calculation and says "I have a solution but it only works for spherical chickens in a vacuum."

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

What now works in new Evernote

Hi, I have been using Evernote since about 2010, mainly for scanning in documents, receipts etc and saving emails and web page content and Legacy works perfectly for me.

I tried the new version of Evernote a year or so ago and found it did not allow me to do certain things I rely on in the legacy version.

But with the new nagging reminders daily I would love to know if the latest version now covers off these things.

So I have made a list and would appreciate anyone who can confirm which of these things are now ‘doable’ in the new version of Evernote for a Windows 10 Pro user.

1. Scan documents direct from my Fujitsu Scansnap iX500 into Evernote (Works seamlessly in legacy via Scansnap software)
  2. Clip/copy pages or content from webpages in Chrome (Currently works great via Clip to Evernote in Chrome)
  3. Clip/copy individual emails direct from Outlook (Save to Evernote)
  4. Clip/copy multiple emails at the same time direct from Outlook (Save to Evernote)
  5. Clip/copy emails from Gmail (in Chrome) into Evernote (Have to use Multi-select and click on lots of bits to get this to work in Legacy)
  6. Create a shared URL / link to a note from the desktop client (this has stopped working in Legacy and has to be done via web client currently)
  7. Drop items into the ‘Evernote-to-File’ folder in File Explorer’ and they auto import into Evernote
  8. Nest Tags beneath each other i.e. I have top level Tags of What, Where, When and Who and all other tags sit below those etc etc
  9. Nest Notebook beneath each other
  10. Use Ctl+Q (or similar) as a quick way of searching all notes, notebooks and tags (allows me to select a tag via the dropdown from the Ctl Q search box)
  11. Use the new version of Evernote and legacy at the same time (if so what is the exact process as it appears to want to uninstall legacy)

Note:

I am using Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2310 Build 16.0.16924.20054) 32-bit

Many thanks in advance for your answers

Simon 

• Level 5*

Hi.  All due respect,  but we're all other users here,  and I don't fancy spending the next hour writing a detailed analysis for you whilst also trialing features that I don't normally use.  Why don't you install the latest version and try it again yourself?  I get that v10 will uninstall Legacy,  but there are copies of the 6.25.3 installer available online if you need them.  A search of these forums might also show some links.

Just as background - 

1. Legacy will stop working at some point soon as v10 develops into incompatibility with its formats,  or your OS or browser stops being compatible with old 32-bit code.
  2. It's "inadvisable" to use both versions at the same time,  though it is feasible to spend an hour on one,  then log out and -after a break for syncing - spend an hour on the other.  They are increasingly incompatible.
  3. Some operations will be very difficult in the new version,  but polite requests here for assistance are always welcome.
  • Like 3
  • Level 5

Oh, a structured list. Let’s see:

1) Use scan to folder, and send it into an ImportFolder

2) use web clipper

3) Depends on your Outlook version. Check the EN website for Integrations. 32bit sounds outdated by any means.

4) You can forward emails to EN

5) same answer

6) No problem

7) import folder, setup in app settings 

8 ) Yes, legacy sucks, I agree. V10 now supports nesting of tags both on desktop AND mobile clients. 1st time ever

9) This was never an option, so why do you ask. Your stacks will be there.

10) Try it

11) This used to work - however it is NOT recommended any more. It requires permanent data conversions on the server, which is a risk to data integrity.

And finally: You need to find out yourself what works, how it works and (surprise) all the new features you missed because you decided to stick with deprecated, outdated software.

What I will not answer (except sometimes with a pretty direct remark) is any mimimi about this and that feature that may not have made it to the other side.

Anybody coming from legacy now (instead of in the past years) has zero leverage to ask for features. It is take it or leave it for now !

• Like 2
On 6/27/2023 at 1:32 PM, Don Reba said:

I wish Evernote updated its Android 9 client to be compatible with the current version, instead of nagging. As it is, I couldn't move on from the Legacy version even if I wanted to  because I don't buy a new phone every couple of years.

At last, Evernote did update the Android 9 client. It's slower but usable. So, now I don't need to look for another note taking software.