Legacy vs Current Version

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

This morning, I got a nag message to install the latest version, as shown below.

---

Evernote for Windows Release Notes

Hello!

You are working on an old version of Evernote that we stopped actively improving a while ago. We strongly encourage users to move to the new Evernote clients - clients that we are actively building and improving. We have interesting features like collaborative editing being rolled out in the new clients soon! We are also working on some AI powered features which will be supported only on the new clients. Your data will be safely transferred to the new clients upon set up!

To download the new client, click on the ‘Download’ button below.

See you there!

---

I am very happy with the legacy version. I tried the new version many months ago and did not like it at all, and have stuck with the legacy version since.   My needs are basic and I don't need fancy features or a constantly changing software. I don't share in Evernote and just need reliable, unchanging note software.

In my experience, the more that apps are 'improved', the more unpredictable they get and the harder they are to use. The Android app I use only occasionally, but it seems that nothing is ever where I expect it to be. At one time it was simple and just worked. I worry the current Windows version is similarly problematic.

Legacy suits me just fine, but this message alarmed me. Has legacy reached its sunset?   If want to try the current version again, can I do that alongside without losing the ability to revert to Legacy?  Does the web version resemble the Windows version and provide a simulation?  I have not explored it.

Are folks still talking about alternates to Evernote?

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  Yes,  you can try out the new version alongside the old one - you might want to just sign on to the web version via Evernote.com which will give you a pretty good idea where things are at.  If you install the new version on a desktop it defaults to uninstalling the old app.  Don't Panic!  You will not lose your old database and you can reinstall the older version if you wish.

But.  Yes the old version is no longer supported and will not be developed in any way - some Mac users have already found that changes in their OS have restricted its use,  and that will happen more and more as time goes on.

People who really hate the new app have switched to Notion and OneNote - but it's notable that some have quietly switched back;  no-one seems to have found something which is hands-down better than Evernote.  YMMV!

I was a denier for a year,  I think,  since the new app came out - but I now use it 99.9% of the time.  There are work-arounds for most of the differences,  and you can always come back here and get some help if you need it.  Good luck,  whatever you do...

• Like 4

Initially, I wasn't fond of Ver 10 as it required me to adapt to different locations of features, which was outside my comfort zone. As a precaution, I installed the Legacy version alongside. However, after using the newer version for about two months, I became more accustomed to it and eventually discarded Legacy as it was no longer necessary. I now appreciate the new features and have significantly increased my usage of EN.

• Like 3
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, allendick said:

I am very happy with the legacy version. I tried the new version many months ago and did not like it at all, and have stuck with the legacy version since.   My needs are basic and I don't need fancy features or a constantly changing software. I don't share in Evernote and just need reliable, unchanging note software.

I'm one of those who found the new version seriously lacking and held out for a year or two, gradually accustoming myself to the new version through the  Web client, and as it gained features and usability I have switched over to it pretty completely.

But my understanding is that new features aren't what you need, just steady note-taking capability. It sounds like you do want the ability to work in both Windows and Android, and have notes sync between the two. For that kind of basic use, you might find something from Microsoft or Google to be enough, if you don't mind dealing with them. Evernote Legacy will keep on working until it doesn't, and that's unpredictable. Recent discussions suggest that it is able to use the new syncing method that is being gradually rolled out, and hopefully repairs the sync issues a number of people have had in v. 10.

So I'd suggest taking a look at the Web version to get a feel for the current state of v. 10. Give it a week or so to let yourself grow used to what's there and where it is, and get past the "Where did they move that?" frustrations, so you can do a real functional comparison between v. 10 and Legacy. Then you can make your choice.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, allendick said:

This morning, I got a nag message to install the latest version, as shown below.

---

Evernote for Windows Release Notes

Hello!

You are working on an old version of Evernote that we stopped actively improving a while ago. We strongly encourage users to move to the new Evernote clients - clients that we are actively building and improving. We have interesting features like collaborative editing being rolled out in the new clients soon! We are also working on some AI powered features which will be supported only on the new clients. Your data will be safely transferred to the new clients upon set up!

To download the new client, click on the ‘Download’ button below.

See you there!

---

In my experience, the more that apps are 'improved', the more unpredictable they get and the harder they are to use. The Android app I use only occasionally, but it seems that nothing is ever where I expect it to be. At one time it was simple and just worked. I worry the current Windows version is similarly problematic.

Legacy suits me just fine, but this message alarmed me. Has legacy reached its sunset?   If want to try the current version again, can I do that alongside without losing the ability to revert to Legacy?  Does the web version resemble the Windows version and provide a simulation?  I have not explored it.

Are folks still talking about alternates to Evernote?

Hmm, I've also noticed that the link to the legacy version of Evernote is missing - maybe the sun has already set. As far as alternatives, Obsidian comes so very close, and the user forum is full of people who actually considered product criticism as a development path, but image OCR is not there yet. Same for Joplin. OneNote is not truly offline (like the new version Evernote ...  if your Database is big) The new Mac OS Spotlight also searches pdf, word, image text (ocr) and scanned PDFs .. all for "free" but it does not replicate across all devices and it is limited to Mac devices. But I am not longer concerned about my preferred application coming to an end.

With the AI explosion of AI, OCR recognition is going to become a standard feature. Evernote's two best features (best web clipper - ever) and using a special xml code to recognise not only the text inside an image, but the location of the text inside that image are what keeps many users sticking around and paying. Nothing, and I mean nothing, searches data as deeply, thoroughly as Evernote. I've test all sorts of things over many years. They could've had it all and could still ...  But the personal information management is going to explode in the next 24 months. Hold onto you nuts with the one hand and your data with the other hand ...  these debates and complaints of users are going to seem trivial and funny. When your software automatically drafts a 5 year budget plan to help you pay off you mortgage (that you didn't ask for), when it fights endlessly, tirelessly via emails with the electricity company to get back the money they overcharged you, when it summarises your email notes with someone and describes the best approach based on their personality profile - well then this will seem like a distant memory.  Legacy is gone it seems, but something better is over the horizon - trust me. (The question is, will come from Bending Spoons ... I'm curious)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Evernote Expert

The intention is to discourage the use of the Legacy software which is why the Legacy download page has been withdrawn. If you ask nicely the software still exists but more effort is required.

Personally, I think that the writing is on the wall for Legacy, but it will continue to work the time being. I'd guess that it will cease to work sometime in the next year or two unless OS changes break it sooner.

For sure, I advise those that I work with to move on to v10 while there is time to do it at their leisure rather than get taken by surprise by a sudden loss.

The nag message to Legacy users is to remind them of the changes in the software and the changes to come. Surprisingly there are still many Legacy users that haven't realised that v10 exists because Legacy doesn't upgrade automatically. They see a message that they are using the latest version and stay put. Of course the nag message is unlikely to persuade those who use Legacy because they prefer it. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
On 4/29/2023 at 6:38 AM, Lutherian said:

maybe the sun has already set

A final nail in the coffin

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!! (Monty Python)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Level 5

Thank you, thank you for that, @DTLow. Made my morning. The funniest thing (in my mildly humble, but perhaps not sufficiently charitable, opinion) is that in the Evernote situation it is the shop owner who is trying to persuade the customer that the parrot is deceased, instead of the other way around.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*

Anyone who expects AI to make taking notes completely transparent and effortless is going to be waiting a long time.  AI is inaccurate, insecure and unreliable.  Plus these oh so tempting third party providers are inexperienced, underfunded and unproven...  But hey - don't let that stop you!  ;)   

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Lutherian said:

When your software automatically drafts a 5 year budget plan to help you pay off you mortgage (that you didn't ask for), when it fights endlessly, tirelessly via emails with the electricity company to get back the money they overcharged you, when it summarises your email notes with someone and describes the best approach based on their personality profile - well then this will seem like a distant memory.  Legacy is gone it seems, but something better is over the horizon - trust me.

Hmmm.  Edge has already gone over that edge and Windows is fast becoming invasive as well. 

I'd like my software to mind its own business.  Every 'improvement' seems designed to make an already perfect application more annoying.  Hiding needed functions somewhere down in trees under obscure icons in search of  a 'clean look' was bad enough. 

From what I have seen of AI so far it is the same as always: GIGO.  AI is no smarter than a person and often more misinformed and devious.

• Like 2

I would really like to move my massive amount of notes to Apple Notes.  To do this I understand I need to export using the Legacy application on my Mac.  Can someone please point me to that download.  I am not stopping my use of Evernote at this time but want to try Apple Notes.  I have had a paid Evernote since 2009. TIA

• Like 2

I am seeing the nag every day, it seems. I have not really  been looking at the new version features, being totally happy with the Legacy version. So I am not sure if my deal breakers were ever implemented.

The biggie was local notebooks, and removing those was a design decision to have everything on the cloud, so I assume those stull don't exist. For me, that is the key feature. Over a third of my notes are local, and I do not want them on the cloud.

The integration with my Fujitsu ScanSnap was also missing back then. That was a big annoyance, but one I could live without.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

No local notebooks, and there will never be. This was clearly communicated when v10 launched.

The regular ix500 (and all newer ones) for example works fine with the new version. The support for the EN edition scanner has been withdrawn by Fujitsu years ago. There was a converter to a standard firmware setup by Fujitsu, but it said it will stop working sometime in 2023. I prefer the import via Import Folders, since it creates less rework in EN than the direct import.

• Like 1

I don't know why the developers greet anyone considering switching with a very inefficient and inconvenient layout. It is a shock to people used to having a clean, efficient Legacy setup.

The huge background is a real annoyance for those of us who value our screen real-estate aand the uncompact layout of the various 'widgets' is a further discouragement.  Generally, that is a bout as far as I have been inclined to go before deciding this is a bad idea.

I took the advice to try the web version and although it would not load at first, a second try was successful and I found I was able to play with it.  Still not as convenient and intuitive as how I have set up legacy.

Why there is no one-click option to make the new version look more compact is beyond me. 

I may play with it more on the web, but playing with Evernote is not on my list of things I enjoy. I have a setup I like and being told that installing the current new version uninstalls my go-to daily layout and immediately thrusts me into days of trying to find things that were right in front of me is a discouragement.

And that the old reliable is not available easily by download is a further discouragement but I see I do have Evernote_6.25.2.9198.exe on my HD, so I suppose there is a possible retreat.

Until EN Legacy ceases to function, I'll likely tinker with the web version when I have nothing better to do.  

Question: does the web layout communicate to the desktop if I install the current desktop version or do I have to go through the layout process again?

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Legacy works - on one single platform. Even the Windows and the Mac legacy clients are showing huge differences. This starts with one being coded with 32bit code, the other with 64bit code. This means nothing, literally nothing can be reused.

This nearly killed EN, first by not allowing improvements for several years, and then economically.

The company was nearly undone by this piece of outdated code. Its the sort of nostalgia you can tinker with when your rich uncle covers the monthly check.

Which settings carry over from the web, and which are specific to a client depend on what you are doing. There are not enough options to loose more than maybe 15min, if you set up the whole client fresh and toggle every single option. The content will sync from the server anyhow.

This when you are on the new web client. If you still use the "classical" editor, expect everything to be different enough to start from scratch.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Responding bit by bit:

4 hours ago, allendick said:

Question: does the web layout communicate to the desktop if I install the current desktop version or do I have to go through the layout process again?

If you're talking about the Home page, yes, I see the same Home layout in Web and desktop. Same for what's in the left-hand pane, but you have fewer choices there anyway. One thing that does not transfer is the Note List view (Cards, Snippets, Side List, etc.), which remains set in each individual client.

I don't know why the developers greet anyone considering switching with a very inefficient and inconvenient layout. It is a shock to people used to having a clean, efficient Legacy setup.

The huge background is a real annoyance for those of us who value our screen real-estate aand the uncompact layout of the various 'widgets' is a further discouragement....

Why there is no one-click option to make the new version look more compact is beyond me. 

I think this may be a function, not so much of Evernote v. 10 intrinsically, but of "modern" interface design (or whatever it's called) in general. Large chunky blocks with lots of space in between is supposed to be ... fun? Not sure what, but I don't care much for it either, and I've seen it in several contexts. (Windows 8 anyone?) Nevertheless, I manage with the Home page widgets (whose functions I actually like), and try to resign myself that the computer world is no longer run by people writing green text on black backgrounds....

I took the advice to try the web version and although it would not load at first, a second try was successful and I found I was able to play with it.  Still not as convenient and intuitive as how I have set up legacy....

I may play with it more on the web, but playing with Evernote is not on my list of things I enjoy. I have a setup I like and being told that installing the current new version uninstalls my go-to daily layout and immediately thrusts me into days of trying to find things that were right in front of me is a discouragement.

The key phrase here (for me) is "as convenient and intuitive as how I have set up legacy." Think of the time it took you to set up Legacy. I'm sure I arrived at what I considered my optimal environment in v. 6 over the course of several years. After a year or two of working first with the v. 10 Web client and then the Windows desktop program, I have got things mostly the way I want them, found out and learned where most of what I want is, and even reconfigured at least one keyboard shortcut. It's absolutely a work-stopper to have to spend time doing this; but the fact is that we all spend some time doing this kind of thing repeatedly in today's world. Evernote is actually unusual in having let us keep the old one this long.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I had not seen the note view. Maybe it is worth a try.  

Does the installation insist on uninstalling the legacy version, or is that an option, and can a person run both at the same time on the same computer?

Seems to me it was possible when I tried the new version maybe a year ago.

• Level 5

You upgrade the legacy installation to v10, and then you install legacy again. Both run from their own database, you need twice the drive space than for one client alone. The only issue: Make sure to export all local notebooks to ENEX. Do it one by one, the ENEX format has no notebook information.

If you don't want them to be moved to the cloud, delete them from your legacy account after saving them to ENEX before you upgrade.

The link to the legacy installer was removed some days ago. But we have heard you can still get it from support, if you ask. After you have installed it, you can import the local notebooks again.

• Level 5

It needs to download everything from the server.

You can try (but no warranties) to copy the old database, and rename it. After downloading the legacy client, you could try to replace the new database it created by the saved old database.

But beware: If it goes wrong, you may get everything on the server in double.

Thanks for the warning. Well, that is nice to know and something to think about.

Maybe I missed the warning that installing the new version will take hours over slow Internet and potentially use up a month's data or more.

Imagine how it would be to be somewhere remote on a limited connection, doing important work depending on Evernote, and deciding to try the update.

I've noticed that genius software developers who live in town with unlimited high speed assume that everyone does and make everything dependent on a connection.

• Like 4

And, actually, I want to run them side-by-side. I am wondering if after being uninstalled the reinstalled legacy software will find its current config and data base without tinkering.

(Later) Well, I took a chance and installed the new version and when it wanted my existing version closed, I left it open.

The installation apparently did  not remove legacy which works fine, but the new one wont accept my password  even though the web and legacy both do.

(Still later) It refused to sign me on with my normal login so I logged in with Google.  Other than starting restored with the menu bar partly behind my taskbar, it ran fine.

So does legacy and they seem to sync when I make a change. I don't see much being downloaded so are they sharing the database?

Anyhow, that is my experience so far.  It looks okay but requires more mousing and lacks the shortcut bar I use every few minutes.

I also don't see an easy way to delete an note. This app needs a customizable ribbon.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

They don’t share anything locally, and for sure not the database. It will make an initial download of notes and metadata, and then continue to download and build the attachments database.

It is better to keep the app open in the background, and let it run. You can check the network traffic in the TaskManager. As long as it has traffic, it is probably still downloading.

Given the slow speed from the server, I doubt the internet connection plays any role (beyond a 56k modem, that is). I downloaded on a Gigabit internet link, and it took 4 days. Download volume is roughly the size of your database, plus some overhead.

To delete a note, right click (or 3 dot menu), the last item is „Move to trash“. Or by keyboard shortcuts (on Mac it’s cmd-delete). Or through the Note menu. On mobile by menu, or a left swipe on the notes list. I am sure I missed some more options, but I never had a problem to get rid of a note.

Thanks.  Right click did not work on the web version, but does on the desktop.  So far it is not horrible but the wasted space in the fly-out tags list makes it useless.

I am not seeing any traffic although both versions have been open for a half-hour or more.  Maybe it is still thinking .

I can assume that it won't use data when closed, then.  That is good to know because I have a fast connection here in the marina but am sometimes using expensive data when away from the dock.

• Level 5

Make sure to quit the app if you want it to be really off. If you just close the main window, the background process will continue to run. This is good, but it sometimes can create an issue when you have a limited and/or expensive network.

I use an app on the Mac called TripMode. It allows to selectively turn internet access on or off per app. I often use it to take EN offline while on a train, where network connection can change from one second to the other. I use the offline database, and sync when I have a stable network.

I give up.  I just blew it up.

I used the Ctrl+ to try zoom and Ctrl- does not work. 

Hmm. It does not recognize my number pad.  I had to use the upper row numbers.  Buggy.

Anyhow it lacks customization in the sidebar. Recent notes is nice but away down on the left.  Needs a ribbon on top instead of the useless background.

Enough for today.  Nice to know that I won't find myself stranded if legacy suddenly stops working.

• Level 5

Check out the keyboard shortcuts. Left panel, bottom, keyboard symbol.

Some can be changed. Place the mouse over a keyboard shortcut on the list. When 3 dots appear to the left of the shortcut, you can edit it.

Zoom in on the Mac is cmd-= (not +). zoom out is cmd-"-".

Thanks.  I'll monitor if it keeps running. It won't be the only selfish app.

Windows has become a vampire in recent years, doing things without my knowledge or permission and  Edge has become invasive.

Half the time I have no idea what process is running and using data unless I open procmon or other portals to the inner workings. 

I saw that but I don't like keyboard shortcuts much.

I'm a bad typist and there are many from various apps and the OS that I don't know and get triggered accidentally.

Anyhow that is it for today.  Tanks.

I'll go back to the old reliable and easy to use version for my daily work and use this one only if I find must or want to tinker..

• Like 1

I run various linux versions in a VM for fun but until recently the updating could get tricky and I have too big a software  investment in the M$ universe but they are taking advantage of it.  The time may come.

• Level 5

A few bits of info (which you may already have discovered):

• The left panel can be made skinny with the < arrow that flies out at the bottom when you hover the mouse over the panel.
  • The shortcuts to notes and notebooks are in that panel (with a star), no longer in a horizontal bar.
  • The database is now located under AppData\Roaming\Evernote\. AppData\Roaming\Evernote\conduit-storage\https%3A%2F%2Fwww.evernote.com has the note data in SQL files. The cache is in AppData\Roaming\Evernote\resource-cache\User########That info was right as of a year ago, and there are forum posts about it. Hopefully this bit of cheese hasn't been moved!

I keep using the Legacy version and I do not want to migrate. Legacy is focusing on capturing phase and the new one on posting content. I do not want to post anything, Wordpress and Notion are my winners on that.

The legacy version allows me see for notebooks, keep longer titled ones, etc.

• Like 1

I hate to admit it, but this new version is growing on me.

It lacks some of what I rely on but there are compensations.

> The left panel can be made skinny with the < arrow that flies out at the bottom when you hover the mouse over the panel.

There are limits and sort orders and fonts don't seem customizable.

I especially miss the customizable top ribbon with shortcuts and other functions.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

You can compare legacy and v10 bit by bit, screen segment by screen segment. You only find missing items, which means you haven’t discovered yet those that were added. I doubt this approach will spark joy.

My approach is completely different. I take v10 as it is, and discover features, options and nice details. In general is already serves me better than legacy ever did. I think from a certain point the view over the shoulder is cloaking up the way to new opportunities.

You can contact support about anything you miss. They will listen to it all, but I wouldn’t expect much in terms of undoing what has been developed.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

My approach is completely different. I take v10 as it is, and discover features, options and nice details. In general is already serves me better than legacy ever did. I think from a certain point the view over the shoulder is cloaking up the way to new opportunities.

I have them both setup and working together fine. I've given v10 several tries, but there are a few things I find annoying. I don't doubt they are just my idiosyncrasies. Could I switch over, sure, when a couple of older features are added (good luck...I know), or they turn off the switch on legacy. I don't find the new version bad; it's just that the new features/structure don't offset the annoyances (to me...and maybe only me).

I'm not going anywhere, I've been using EN since 2009 and don't see that changing. Old, new, it's still a great program. I use it for storing bits and pieces and scripts and such, but Obsidian for thoughts and research. 

Perhaps that is why the new features in v10 just aren't as important as, say, being able to tag multiple notes based on one. Legacy can do that (Hide Unassigned Tags), v10 can't, and I use that feature multiple times, single every day. Trying to do the same thing in v10 is time-consuming. If you have a workaround for that, maybe I'll fully convert ;) 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Think what - I don’t care what you think, and you don’t decide what I do.

We are all users here. You could focus more on helping others, than trying to micromanage them.

Edit: This post has nothing to do with the kind posting by @gsmith58v3 . There was another post in between that was zapped by the mods. This moved the well formulated post right on top of mine.

• Like 1
On 4/29/2023 at 12:58 PM, Ray Goldenberg said:

I would really like to move my massive amount of notes to Apple Notes.  To do this I understand I need to export using the Legacy application on my Mac.  Can someone please point me to that download.  I am not stopping my use of Evernote at this time but want to try Apple Notes.  I have had a paid Evernote since 2009. TIA

You don’t need legacy. Just export the enex file and import that into Apple notes. I’ve done it myself in the past and what I caution everybody on is you need to double check your notes to make sure the content transferred correctly. Also tags do not transfer. 

• Like 1

I would like to install Legacy on my Mac but I get this message: Version too old.  Your local Evernote data is being managed by a newer version of Evernote. Please use the latest version.  How do I get around this so I can install the legacy version? I need it to be able to import a bunch of RTFD formatted documents.  Thanks!

• Evernote Expert

Sounds like a support question to me too... It may be that the new sync using Yjs and  Conflict-free Replicated Data Types (CRDT) won't play with what you are trying to achieve.

• Level 5
20 hours ago, allendick said:

sort orders and fonts don't seem customizable

WRT sort orders, that's correct, if you mean that they can't be saved per notebook rather than applying globally. The font limitations, I believe, derive from wanting the notes to appear uniform across multiple platforms. This has seriously annoyed people who liked to use special fonts in Windows and Mac, and improved things for people who go back and forth between, say, Windows and Android.

Back to the original topic, is there any way to disable the daily nags to upgrade? Because at some point, that will prompt me to leaving, since staying with no local notebooks is a non-starter for me. I know it is old, unsupported, blah, blah. I just don't want to be bugged to upgrade every day!

• Evernote Expert

This is probably a short campaign and it will go away in due course. 

Meanwhile assemble your plan for when Legacy ends which will be in a year or so by my estimate.

6 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Meanwhile assemble your plan for when Legacy ends which will be in a year or so by my estimate.

OK, when there is still "coming soon" for long requested bugs and features of the legacy version, I may use Evernote 10 if not, I leave.

Please note that I receive this nag even with an installed Evernote 10.56.8 

Hi

I'm happy with the new version as a standalone product, but I desperately want integration with my email client. The GMAIL clipper is woefully slow, the old outlook version worked wonderfully and it's how I save my invoices, payslips, etc etc that come via email. Trying to forward emails or whatever is just too painful for me.

Don't particularly like MS Notes (which I use at work) but may have to start using for personal stuff - swap a Microsoft Subscription for my evernote subscription.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running both EN v. 7.14 and the current version on my Mac for a year or more, mainly because none of my Hazel automations work with EN 10. Once I updated my Mac to Ventura, I could no longer read PDFs in the Legacy version - I just get a text bar that reads "Missing Plug-In." The notes with PDFs sync perfectly well, however, and I can open and read them in the current version on my various devices, but it's a little irritating having to open two iterations of the desktop app just to be sure that the correct PDF uploaded & synced. Has anyone had the same issue and found a solution?

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 11.28.41 AM.png

• Evernote Expert

Updates to operating systems are just one of the reasons why the old so-called legacy versions of the Evernote app are a risky option. Best to make a plan to work without v7 for Mac since this is likely to stop working within the next year.

• Level 5

@jrcchicago If you search the forum, you will find a number of posts with this problem. Obviously Ventura has removed some old plugin on which Mac legacy relies. Further there is a problem with the note window size - it does only open to a narrow width, no matter how the settings are.

Mac legacy is hardly usable any more. And we don't know how long it will continue to sync with the server, now that RTE sync has taken over.

Well, since I started this, maybe I should report that I have been running both versions and find am using the new version more than the legacy version and am ready to delete legacy.  There are annoyances, like hidden, inconveniently located or absent functions, but there are compensating features. 

So, I likely won't be posting here again.  I hope.

• Like 3
On 4/28/2023 at 12:20 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Yes,  you can try out the new version alongside the old one - you might want to just sign on to the web version via Evernote.com which will give you a pretty good idea where things are at.  If you install the new version on a desktop it defaults to uninstalling the old app.  Don't Panic!  You will not lose your old database and you can reinstall the older version if you wish.

But.  Yes the old version is no longer supported and will not be developed in any way - some Mac users have already found that changes in their OS have restricted its use,  and that will happen more and more as time goes on.

People who really hate the new app have switched to Notion and OneNote - but it's notable that some have quietly switched back;  no-one seems to have found something which is hands-down better than Evernote.  YMMV!

I was a denier for a year,  I think,  since the new app came out - but I now use it 99.9% of the time.  There are work-arounds for most of the differences,  and you can always come back here and get some help if you need it.  Good luck,  whatever you do...

I appreciate all your experience, but to be candid, I find the new version horrible. I updated on my PC and have had nothing but problems. I HATE the "background" sync, I hate the sluggishness. Most notably, I spent an hour last night updating several notes, and establishing several notebooks, but apparently the database did not update. Today, I have NONE of that work! I have no clue how to get back to where I was. I hate the sluggishness of the new app. I HATE the lack of a "sync-now" button, although I am sure I am far from alone in that regard. I would love to go back to a old version and get my database back. How does that happen? Maybe after a few months, the bugs and/or sluggishness in the update will either be fixed or I won't care anymore.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

An unscientific hypothesis: Bad humor is reflecting.

Background sync is nothing else than syncing without thinking. With RTE (I suppose you never tried) it is absolutely amazing how you type something in one client, and you see the edits appear in the same note in another open client within seconds. A sync button would make no sense - you couldn‘t move the mouse pointer fast enough to click it, before the sync is already done.

About your edits I only can take your input, about this and about sluggishness: Both point to a corrupted local database. To erase it, you can go to the app settings and deselect the option to keep a local copy on the device (or select the option to remove it). Then log out, and quit the app. Restart it, and log in. It will now draw a fresh copy from the server. Keep the app running in the background, this will take a while until all attachments have been loaded.

If this does not solve it, log out, quit, then do a full uninstall (using Revo Uninstaller, the Windows uninstaller won‘t hack it) plus a restart of the PC will probably remove everything that may be in your way. This is nothing you should have to repeat often - I did my last uninstall last summer.

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

An unscientific hypothesis: Bad humor is reflecting.

Background sync is nothing else than syncing without thinking. With RTE (I suppose you never tried) it is absolutely amazing how you type something in one client, and you see the edits appear in the same note in another open client within seconds. A sync button would make no sense - you couldn‘t move the mouse pointer fast enough to click it, before the sync is already done.

About your edits I only can take your input, about this and about sluggishness: Both point to a corrupted local database. To erase it, you can go to the app settings and deselect the option to keep a local copy on the device (or select the option to remove it). Then log out, and quit the app. Restart it, and log in. It will now draw a fresh copy from the server. Keep the app running in the background, this will take a while until all attachments have been loaded.

If this does not solve it, log out, quit, then do a full uninstall (using Revo Uninstaller, the Windows uninstaller won‘t hack it) plus a restart of the PC will probably remove everything that may be in your way. This is nothing you should have to repeat often - I did my last uninstall last summer.

I realize that *someone* must think background synching is a good thing. I suspect it's "an acquired taste" that works for folks using EN in a way I do not. I NEVER worry about what happens on another client until I sync. I determine what happens, not the app. But again, something I may learn to appreciate. 

In terms of the other points, I checked the web version, and it too did not reflect my work from last night. I reckon the background sync was not complete and therefore I am screwed in that regard. So, a new server version is destined to not meet my needs. Anyway, I will do the log out, deselect, quit and reload idea. I am hesitant about using a different installer, since my PC is corporate-controlled and loading software is not something I can do on my own. To be honest, the version of the EN database on my box should be the "correct version" but it too is not. Basically, I am screwed. I will start over and see what happens. 

Again, I really appreciate your help!

• Level 5

Yes, the uninstall / reinstall can be difficult under control of corporate IT.

You can as well remove the database manually. I’m not sure about the path on Windows, I’m on a Mac.

With corrupted I don’t mean a wrong database version. It can be a little piece of indigestible data, stuck somewhere. But to remove it, the database must go. Signs of such a situation are long startup, sluggishness, high CPU usage (especially on idle) and of course edits not syncing.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Yes, the uninstall / reinstall can be difficult under control of corporate IT.

You can as well remove the database manually. I’m not sure about the path on Windows, I’m on a Mac.

With corrupted I don’t mean a wrong database version. It can be a little piece of indigestible data, stuck somewhere. But to remove it, the database must go. Signs of such a situation are long startup, sluggishness, high CPU usage (especially on idle) and of course edits not syncing.

There is almost no doubt of a corrupted local database, based upon what I am now seeing. I am making changes locally, that are not showing up on the server version. This is, no doubt, what happened last night. Tons of work, that did not "sync" and with no indication that the sync was not complete--there I go relying on that Sync Button again--I did not realize it. I will keep trying, despite being frustrated to the point of anger.

• Level 5

If you had a sync button, it would still not sync if a piece of corrupted data is blocking it.

Let me share a little magic: Hold the opt/alt-button when clicking on Help. You get a new option called "Troubleshooting". In the submenu click on the option "Toggle Note status".

image.thumb.png.737b38bf87c94eb224ce9b9ee09839ca.png

Now at the bottom right of the page you get some new indicators. 

image.png.1a5f586126d27eff8b71a3021fa790f9.png

The first will switch to "Syncing" while a sync goes on, and "Initial" when it has no connection. The second will show "Connecting" when it still has no connection. Both will display in grey while they are not ready to operate.

You can toggle the display on and off through the troubleshooting menu.

BTW Reload and Force Reload are the closest you get with v10 to a syncing button. Note both can be activated by keyboard shortcut as well.

That's handy magic, indeed! Whatever is going on, the new version seems to have broken something in my set-up. Even when the tags show "normal" and all that, the version of the database I see via the web view is DIFFERENT than I see on my local PC. This, even after a force reload. I am at a loss...

Still, I really appreciate your trying to help.

Okay, just ran another test. The server update is painfully slow, but the changes to the note appear to have happened. I am attempting to cut this particular note "down to size" because it is so big as to be unwieldy for rapid use. Anyway, will keep at it.

• Like 2
On 5/17/2023 at 9:35 AM, agsteele said:

Updates to operating systems are just one of the reasons why the old so-called legacy versions of the Evernote app are a risky option. Best to make a plan to work without v7 for Mac since this is likely to stop working within the next year.

Where can I get the legacy version to download?  Turns out I had let EN update itself a number of times without downloading and saving those versions.  Before trying the new version v10, I want to be sure to have the old 6.25 downloaded in case I need to revert to it.

Thanks,

Mel

• Evernote Expert

Search these forums and you should find the links or contact Evernote support for the link. Your favourite search engine will probably provide links too.

Well, that did not take long.  I reinstalled legacy so I can work.

I keep a copy at https://unlikelyplace.com/Evernote legacy/ in case of emergency.

I use the legacy clipper all the time to clip selections directly into notes or other apps with one click and a drag.

The new version has something but I can't figure it  out and help is no help.  Yes, I know about the clipping tool also, but it is overly sophisticated for my purposes.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, allendick said:

Well, that did not take long.  I reinstalled legacy so I can work.

I keep a copy at https://unlikelyplace.com/Evernote legacy/ in case of emergency.

I use the legacy clipper all the time to clip selections directly into notes or other apps with one click and a drag.

The new version has something but I can't figure it  out and help is no help.  Yes, I know about the clipping tool also, but it is overly sophisticated for my purposes.

Many thanks for that link, was about to resume searching for the download. A few days ago upgraded to the newer version which was sort of OK, and today EN did an auto-upgrade to the very latest - which appears to be completely broken on my PC, notes taking minutes to open etc. All too hard, just don't have time right now to sort it out.

Thank you for that.  I tried the v10, but I just don't have the time or energy right now to change.  I was fine with the way mine was, but I had obviously gotten slack about letting it update without me downloading it as well.  When I reinstalled everything it took me a while to figure out what was wrong, I thought I had just forgotten some settings at first.  Then the upgrade to 6.25 that kept failing got me to this forum.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Mel

At the risk of jinxing it, I THINK I have my issues with the latest upgrade worked out. Bottom Line:  Apparently, it takes a long time for a huge database--which I have--to update and settle out. Once that happened, the issues I was seeing seemed to go away as well. Still a little pissed about some images and PDFs going missing, but I can recapture those, and there were only in one VERY large note anyway, evidently. 

All that said, I still downloaded the legacy version from the handy link posted above. (Trust but verify!)

• Like 3

I find running the two at once works best for me.  I get to use the new one when I am not under time pressure and the old one when I need to have things work.  Uninstalling Legacy was a mistake.

Legacy has that really ideal simple selection clipper that I use ten+ times a day in all apps.  It is a separate process, I think, so why it is not bundled with the current version is a mystery.

I find it insulting that updates to the new version try to remove my legacy version. 

Frankly, at some point I will want uninstall it myself and I would like the uninstaller to be a standalone not a trick in the new installer.  I and when the current version ever gets as good as the legacy, users will want to delete the legacy version.

For that matter, though I have found uninstallers that are made by the software developers often leave scraps here and there so revo might be the better choice when the time comes. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There is nothing insulting about a new version replacing the old one. That’s the standard when you install new software. With v10 it is even more important, because it installs a new database as well. Leaving Legacy installed would use disk space twice, for the same content. I assume most users would not be able to dive that deep to find and uninstall the remains of an older install - usually Windows computers after a while are full of that sort of clutter. In this case it would be several Gigabyte of disk space consumed.

Anybody who wants to run legacy in addition can reinstall it after v10 was installed.

The unexpected actions of the software installer in removing the still-useful Legacy version without explicit permission is IMO counter-productive and causes me, and I assume others, to fear the  installer and to avoid or consider removing the new app -- or blocking automatic upgrades if we are trialing a current version, which some of us do periodically.. 

The new versions are not slightly improved and augmented versions of Legacy. They are new software that imitates, but is different in appearance, stability, and function.

The constantly changing versions offered are a feature-limited imitation of Legacy that lacks essential functionality for some of us, so we rely on Legacy daily. The new versions simply will not do the job for some of us  -- yet.   We keep hoping and periodically visit here for support and insight, not insult.

Pretending that the current version can replace Legacy for many of us s duplicitous at best, and trying to force it on users who rely on smooth and reliable functioning of essential features and removing the useful version by stealth shows disrespect for the user and lack of understanding of the client base.

Changing to new software when I have software that functions perfectly for my needs should be my choice and if the developers think it is important for me to to remove the old app, rather to keep it installed for its superior features, they should say why and offer us that as an option.

The very fact that Legacy performs so reliably and well for so many of us without any changes or improvements for over a year now and without constant 'upgrading' like that of the the new experimental version is proof that we are not stupid and can see clearly what apparently the developers cannot.

That we are trying the new version is also proof that we open to change an and intend to upgrade whenever we can see that that week's version of the new software is indeed an upgrade, not a downgrade from Legacy

I said that I find the stealth removal of the best functioning version insulting, and I do. It is.

Many of us visit here to get advice and insight, not to have our intelligence insulted further, so please do not reply to my posts unless you have something useful to contribute.  I seem to recall having had to ask you that before and such comments are why I hesitate to visit or post here.

• Like 4
12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You can take information presented to you. Or you can take objection that the facts don’t meet your predefined opinions.

Your choice …

You present some valuable information, and that is very much appreciated, but your personal comments are gratuitous drive many of us away. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

When I installed Office 2016, it automatically removed Office 2010.

When I install my OS upgrades, or any other app, it uninstalls the prior versions.

That’s the standard. The special thing about legacy is that after installing the new version, you can install the old version again, and have both of them on the same computer, side by side, even opening at the same time. Quite a service by EN - and if you run the „true“ legacy install, the one with the grey icon, it doesn’t update any more either.

We are now 30 months beyond the release of v10. EN made it clear from the beginning that legacy is deprecated, and will not be maintained any more. Everybody had time enough to adapt their Workflows, or to move on. I think the days are counted now.

Claiming the installer would not work is like asking for a new saddle for the dead horse.

• Level 5*

It would appear from the forums that there are still folks that don't view V10 as a replacement for legacy.  Which differs a bit from the examples above. 🤷‍♂️

BS now owns the software and will do as they please.  Seems they are not opting to be make V10 functionally parallel with V6 (nor was EN when they had the helm).  So we come back to what's the over/under for legacy demise and the transparency in getting there.  My 2 cents.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, CalS said:

what's the over/under for legacy demise and the transparency in getting there.

I don't think anyone knows anything about when,  so it's probably not going to be possible to be transparent about it. 

'Spoons are continuing to develop v10,  and as we've seen recently,  dealing with v10 user requests and bugfixes like RTE may start to overlap and interfere with Legacy features.  Everyone's friendly neighborhood browsers are developing day by day and may start affecting the web client - although that's almost the full v10 package these days so I think that's the most secure connection no matter what sort of client you have installed.  MacOS recently rattled cages with their missing PDF utility,  and Windows / Android and the rest are all working toward their next major iterations as we speak.

It's one of those "not going to happen tomorrow" things - that might come home to roost in a week or a month,  or might struggle on into next year.

I was seriously underwhelmed by v10 when it first came out,  and I think it possibly 'escaped' rather than being released after the Old Guard worked out how much they were spending on not only the several separate operating systems they were supporting then,  but also on the development work with Electron.  The New Guys seem rather more focussed and have proved themselves somewhat with their own products,  and they've inherited a 'mature' version of the app which is pretty usable for me.

My only big asks are 1) a 'proper' backup system for that 1 in a zillion chance of things going very wrong,  an 2) and end to that pesky 100 limit on everything.

Anyone who's still using Legacy because v10 is "unsuitable" is,  with all due respect but IMNSHO,  just clinging to the past.  Sure it's a pain to have to change muscle memory,  but the same issue applies to any new provider.  New things are different to old things.  Deal with it!

I'd far rather have a bit of inconvenience (and the occasional rant) over v10 than trust my data to a system that is tweaking my spider-sense each time I use it...  :)

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

@gazumped All good but I still wonder the betting odds on demise.  Can't help myself!  No particular benefit to anything other than the odd wager.  😊

15 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Anyone who's still using Legacy because v10 is "unsuitable" is,  with all due respect but IMNSHO,  just clinging to the past.

Mostly true without a doubt, other than local notebooks.  Their lack is unsuitable compared to past, was for me anyway.  I opted not to cling.

• Level 5

@CalS and @eddyj, I want to ask out of curiosity, just because I can't figure it out fro myself, what the appeal of local notebooks in Evernote is. For me, the great benefit of EN is being able to sync material to the servers and back down to all my devices, so I can work on things in multiple settings. To me, a local notebook is just a Windows folder, searchable in one way or another. I guess being able to have notes with attachments is unlike most locally based software, but again, why not want to access those attachments from the porch or the car as well as the office desk? Not questioning the potential value, just not quite able to grasp it as the make-or-break for using Evernote.

Software seems to be developed by people with cheap high speed Internet for people with cheap high speed Internet and little regard for those of us in remote areas and out at sea.  Also there is little consideration of what happens when and if the whole system goes down.  

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@CalS and @eddyj, I want to ask out of curiosity, just because I can't figure it out fro myself, what the appeal of local notebooks in Evernote is. For me, the great benefit of EN is being able to sync material to the servers and back down to all my devices, so I can work on things in multiple settings. To me, a local notebook is just a Windows folder, searchable in one way or another. I guess being able to have notes with attachments is unlike most locally based software, but again, why not want to access those attachments from the porch or the car as well as the office desk? Not questioning the potential value, just not quite able to grasp it as the make-or-break for using Evernote.

The benefit of local notebooks for me was security.  I did not want confidential notes syncing to the cloud. I did however want to search local and synced notebooks in one place (EN) when on my PC.  I did not need to search local notebooks when on mobile.  So legacy EN local notebooks were a great fit for my use case.

In the new world order for me all my documents and old EN notes are in MEGA which has end to end encryption while syncing across devices.  Title and content searchable on multiple PCs and title only searchable on mobile.  So I am still using local notebooks so to speak.  Use case thing.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Clearly a use case thing. I couldn’t go without full search capabilities, both in the office and on the road.

Local notebooks may have been useful, but that discussion is over and decided. There are enough solid cloud services to host such stuff, using strong encryption before the upload to protect my privacy.

• Level 5

Offline use is standard for all accounts on Desktop. Offline use is a subscribers feature on mobile.

Offline use is no the same as local notebooks, that are never synced - and BTW lack a lot of functions that are based on the server.

• Level 5*

I can still search on mobile, it's just by title.  This works well as I'm mostly looking for a document and have reasonably good naming standards.  And I have my confidential and not so confidential docs available, something I did not have with EN, albeit at my own decision.  Just wanted to be clear.  Horses for courses and all that.

• Like 1
On 5/26/2023 at 7:24 PM, Wiltster said:

At the risk of jinxing it, I THINK I have my issues with the latest upgrade worked out. Bottom Line:  Apparently, it takes a long time for a huge database--which I have--to update and settle out. Once that happened, the issues I was seeing seemed to go away as well. Still a little pissed about some images and PDFs going missing, but I can recapture those, and there were only in one VERY large note anyway, evidently. 

All that said, I still downloaded the legacy version from the handy link posted above. (Trust but verify!)

Hi there @Wiltster. I was about to chime in with my experiences, when I read your above post. I find v10 not being on level to replace v6 for my use-cases. I have however switched. I think it is horrible that it doesn't simpyl show a % progress bar on how far it is on syncs. That would help me a lot understanding whether I cannot find certain notes cause they don't exist or I search the wrong way (sync being at 100%), or whether it's simply syncing in secracy and not (yet) showing results. No way to tell at the moment. As long as it is syncing it is slow as anything, it has out of date indices on searches and tags.

I have a DB of 10-20GB, with 15.000 notes and 1500 tags. I change hundreds of tags each day on -say- 150 notes. Merging them. Tagging. Untagging. Sometimes for up to an hour, it seems to be out-of-date and slow in syncing. Then when it is up-to-date, all is weel (enough) and usable. Using tags as a Ninja, and being fast as Superman in Evernote is a thing of the past for me. I will stick around Evernote for a while more, it is 'doable', but not as snappy and speedy as a productivity tool of this caliber should be. I'll be patient in 2023.

On 5/29/2023 at 6:49 PM, gazumped said:

...My only big asks are 1) a 'proper' backup system for that 1 in a zillion chance of things going very wrong,  an 2) and end to that pesky 100 limit on everything.

Anyone who's still using Legacy because v10 is "unsuitable" is,  with all due respect but IMNSHO,  just clinging to the past.  Sure it's a pain to have to change muscle memory,  but the same issue applies to any new provider.  New things are different to old things.  Deal with it!

I'd far rather have a bit of inconvenience (and the occasional rant) over v10 than trust my data to a system that is tweaking my spider-sense each time I use it...  :)

Dear @gazumped. On #2 you can still add a setting to the config JSON file, and you can do changes on a selection of whatever size you want, BUT it is slow as a snail when doing so. I sometimes changes and reorganize 1000+ notes at ones, it will be busy for a while. To change your limit to 1000 notes at once, add to config.json:

"qa": {
"multiSelectionLimit": 1000
}

On #1 I now use the new Backupery on Windows, which is good enough. It takes 3 days to back-up all my 15.000 notes, 1500 tags and 10-20GB of data,when doing a single ENEX for each notebook, and an ENEX per note. But it is doable. More details here: 

Somewhere you say "Anyone who's still using Legacy because v10 is "unsuitable" is,  with all due respect but IMNSHO,  just clinging to the past."  It feels a bit condescending or unempathic how you phrase it. It might not be intended that way, but that's how I feel when I read that. No hard feeling, it might be my own sensitvity and I like your answers and energy 99% of your other posts. 😄 

I'm totally willing to change ways I work, and learn new short-cuts, etc.. But v10, for my use-cases, is way underpeformant, sluggish, many times out of sync (without any UI indication) and many times I encounter racing conditions. I've always got a few tickets open with Evernote, them helping me out and many times solving things. My conclusion is, that for my use cases, Evernote v10 is not on the professional level it should be. I would say it is barely/just on the level that I now leave legacy behind, for the sole reason I get nervous Legacy is going to stop working when they change more API's.

Sure it's a pain to have to change muscle memory,  but the same issue applies to any new provider.  New things are different to old things.  Deal with it!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CalS said:

I can still search on mobile, it's just by title.  This works well as I'm mostly looking for a document and have reasonably good naming standards.  And I have my confidential and not so confidential docs available, something I did not have with EN, albeit at my own decision.  Just wanted to be clear.  Horses for courses and all that.

Search on mobile (Android, Samsung S22) is horribly for me. Many times it finds nothing, or it gets stuck searching. Even after all got synced locally. 15.000 notes. 10-20GB. What platform do you use?  As a workaround I search in advance on my Windows Evernote, change those notes, and find them on my mobile after a while under "Recent". 🙂

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, MvdH said:

Search on mobile (Android, Samsung S22) is horribly for me. Many times it finds nothing, or it gets stuck searching. Even after all got synced locally. 15.000 notes. 10-20GB. What platform do you use?  As a workaround I search in advance on my Windows Evernote, change those notes, and find them on my mobile after a while under "Recent". 🙂

I was referring to my new home grown process.  When I used IOS EN pre V10 performance was mostly good in the later years.  I never used IOS EN on the V10 stuff.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

What was really bad with the old iOS client were the inconsistencies with the desktop client: Nested tags on desktop were showing as „flat“ tags on mobile, tables could be inserted using a trick, but couldn’t be edited, fonts were not consistent etc.

v10 step by step solved all this, and gave us real progress in the mobile app. They even succeeded in a working offline download with one of the lastest releases -  before downloading for offline use was a real PITA both in iOS legacy and v10.

I am convinced we today have the best mobile client we ever had when using the current iOS v10 release.

There is still a lot of room for improvement: Multitasking on iPad, better pencil support, Apple Watch app to grab notes on the fly etc.

• Like 2

For me, the worst aspect of the new Evernote client for Windows is its apparent fragility. It seems prone to crash at random times, despite my attempts to completely uninstall it with Revo Uninstaller & start afresh.

I hope they can get this sorted out, otherwise I'll have to reluctantly consider another note-based solution.

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, Alan Rew said:

I hope they can get this sorted out

They may not even realise this is an issue - have you contacted Support about this?  I've not had an actual 'crash' for about a year...