Introducing Home, launching on Mac, Windows, and Evernote Web

Go to solution Solved by Brittany N.,

• Shane D. changed the title to Introducing Home, launching on Mac, Windows, and Evernote Web
  • Shane D. pinned and featured this topic
  • Level 5

Thanks - it looks like finally things start to get moving.

Sure I prefer to discuss how to employ new features instead of missing ones. Anyhow I hope that rolling out known features we are waiting for will happen side by side with new functions like this home dashboard.

But again: Nicely done, cool look & feel, pulling together what will do to make my day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks - it looks like finally things start to get moving.

Sure I prefer to discuss how to employ new features instead of missing ones. Anyhow I hope that rolling out known features we are waiting for will happen side by side with new functions like this home dashboard.

But again: Nicely done, cool look & feel, pulling together what will do to make my day.

Does anyone know if it will load properly, quickly, consistently and reliably? Can more than 50 notes be selected and can it be backed up easily and reliably? If all these are not present it's just a facelift. or maybe a lip job.

• Like 5

Nice presentation. BUT : what's happening with the beta test program ?

1) When I choose a new picture in background, go away and come back to Home, it's always the same pic with the cup of coffee which appears !

2) When I choose a pinned note, it disappears from the widget a few seconds later !! 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

@QFieldBoden Why don’t you find out yourself ?

Since you seem to turn everything offered to you into something negative, I really have no motivation to do it for you ...

You misjudge me but I can live with that. I would of course find out myself if I was in the "fortunate" position of it having been made available to me to run on my Mac but it has not. Which is why I asked. And yes, I did check if a download was available.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, QFieldBoden said:

Does anyone know if it will load properly, quickly, consistently and reliably? Can more than 50 notes be selected and can it be backed up easily and reliably? If all these are not present it's just a facelift. or maybe a lip job.

This dashboard, for the most part is essentially another view with the addition of a built in scratch pad.  It loads in about the same time as other views as best as I can tell.  There have been requests for this and I suspect many will like it.  For my use, it doesn’t provide anything I need, but it is nice to see some new features added.  I’m puzzled that it has been added to basic.  I think it should have been left out and used as a differentiator for Premium.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, Rabbit704 said:

TRIGGER WARNING FOR GURUS: This post does not represent blind support for Evernote. Like most normal users on these forums, I don't care for your self righteous, arrogant views but if you feel you need to respond to get your post count up then fill your boots.

---

I really cannot believe that Evernote are proud to advise that they are working on new features (mostly which weren't asked for) when so many long time paying customers are just waiting for previous critical features to be reinstated and for some level of acceptable performance and customer support to be reinstated (you know, like not having to wait 6+ weeks to be advised that as a 10+ year Premium user, the reason that I cannot access Evernote v10 for web is because I have more than 1000 notes.)

Working on new features at a time like this is just another example of the utter contempt that Evernote have for its customers.

Not all gurus are contempt and self-righteous. Some reserve the harshest criticisms ( and positive feedback as well) for the product. And yes, your crictism is perfectly valid. While in my view, the upcoming frame work changes are positive and we need to be more persistent, a wait time of 6+ week for a paying customer, is absolutely absolutely unacceptable. 

• Like 1

TRIGGER WARNING FOR GURUS: This post does not represent blind support for Evernote. Like most normal users on these forums, I don't care for your self righteous, arrogant views but if you feel you need to respond to get your post count up then fill your boots.

---

I really cannot believe that Evernote are proud to advise that they are working on new features (mostly which weren't asked for) when so many long time paying customers are just waiting for previous critical features to be reinstated and for some level of acceptable performance and customer support to be reinstated (you know, like not having to wait 6+ weeks to be advised that as a 10+ year Premium user, the reason that I cannot access Evernote v10 for web is because I have more than 1000 notes.)

Working on new features at a time like this is just another example of the utter contempt that Evernote have for its customers.

As a developer for a large software company I'd like to say that the last thing you want to do if you want to squash bugs is add more engineers to the problem.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Rabbit704 said:

---

Oh for crying out loud! I’m on this forum for a few minutes, which I’ve avoided for days, because I’m tired of the continuous and exhausting moaning and here it is again. I’ll stop here cause trust me my next comments are way less constructive!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, SK_123 said:

Not all gurus are contempt and self-righteous. 

That's true, but the objective ones are rare.. unfortunately these forums have been infested with the same gang of shills for years with their thousands of vacuous posts and aggressive defence of Evernote that it's nigh impossible to get any semblance of objective discussion. It's been like it for years. That's why I like to preface my posts with the trigger warning as they really struggle with anyone saying anything negative about their dysfunctional elephant. Ironically, if they weren't so defensive and a little more straight shooting, we might not all be in this mess right now.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, ehrt74 said:

As a developer for a large software company I'd like to say that the last thing you want to do if you want to squash bugs is add more engineers to the problem.

As someone who has worked as a developer through to C-level in global software dev and tech companies, my experience is that, the majority of the time, the issues that we are seeing at Evernote rarely have a root cause in the dev team ... they are usually self inflicted technical issues through poor management (software dev process - I still don't think Evernote has one, people mgmt, leadership etc) and decision making at the top. There is a reason that Chris O' Neill got the boot along with most of his execs a few years back and it wasn't because the dev team were lousy (I doubt they are).  Unfortunately, Ian Small has demonstrated he too doesn't have the tech leadership chops he claims, evidenced the overwhelming backlash to v10 and the fact that support are so backlogged now that there is effectively no support at all. That's got nothing to do with squashing bugs and everything to do with knowing how to execute and resource your team properly - all things that someone in Ian Small's position should know.

Edited by Rabbit704
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Rabbit704 said:

As someone who has worked as a developer through to C-level in global software dev and tech companies, my experience is that, the majority of the time, the issues that we are seeing at Evernote rarely have a root cause in the dev team ... they are usually self inflicted technical issues through poor management (software dev process - I still don't think Evernote has one, people mgmt, leadership etc) and decision making at the top. There is a reason that Chris O' Neill got the boot along with most of his execs a few years back and it wasn't because the dev team were lousy (I doubt they are).  Unfortunately, Ian Small has demonstrated he too doesn't have the tech leadership chops he claims, evidenced the overwhelming backlash to v10 and the fact that support are so backlogged now that there is effectively no support at all. That's got nothing to do with squashing bugs and everything to do with knowing how to execute and resource your team properly - all things that someone in Ian Small's position should know.

This is a genuine question. I'm very unhappy about the way Evernote is going downhill and I'm a long time user with loads of notes. You look to have some technical knowledge and no loyalty to Evernote, can you advise a user (me) what in your opinion would be the best alternative to go for in moving from Evernote, I want to be able to import a .enex file of all my notes. Something like Notion any use? Thanks.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, ThomasV said:

1) When I choose a new picture in background, go away and come back to Home, it's always the same pic with the cup of coffee which appears !

2) When I choose a pinned note, it disappears from the widget a few seconds later !! 

@ThomasV This happened to me before during the initial Home BETA release but went ok after a few days.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Rabbit704 said:

Ironically, if they weren't so defensive and a little more straight shooting, we might not all be in this mess right now.

About the only time I can remember these forums moving EN has been with V10.  Hard to tell spin from reality but features that appeared to be out forever (import folders) are making their way back.  Again, hard to tell if original intent was later or gone, but my sense was gone.  Other than that EN has pretty much ignored the bulk of feature requests, fix your effing QA process and the like.  For all that it is still the best product on the market for my use case.  Which is disconcerting if they don't get this V10 thing back to being a close cousin to 6.25.1.  I am way too lazy to want to do any converting, particularly to something that is suboptimal, V10 or otherwise.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Really? I find it enormously entertaining watching the fanboys hold on for dear life as the train plummets into the ravine

I'm a longtime Evernote fan, and am currently using the Evernote Legacy product on a Mac   
The product is working well for me   
imho The Version 10 product is a work-in-progress and not ready for general use

• Like 6

I'm really excited for this news. Evernote has always been my most favorite note taking tool. No other tool can even come close to Evernote. I believe Version 10 is a brave step in the right direction, and I'm sure that many great things are yet to come in the near future.

• Like 2
  • Ex Employees
  • Solution
18 hours ago, ThomasV said:

Hi There! Should you have any issues with customizations sticking, please use the following steps to resolve:

1. Select "Customize" in the upper right corner.

2. Select "Reset default widgets" in the bottom right corner of the customize pane. 

3. Attempt customization again. Should this not work, please reach back out so we can help troubleshoot further! 

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 11.24.58 AM.png

• Like 1

So I tried this new feature. I wrote "test" in the notepad, tried to convert it into a note. Evernote froze. Had to force quit and restart.

Then I tried to delete the new note it had created. Deleting didn't work anymore with any note - neither the shortcut nor "menu -> move to trash". After a while it all started working normally.

One has to have infinite patience to work with Evernote. I would be refreshing if everything just worked as intended, immediately

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Rabbit704 said:

I was replying to your comment saying that Evernote was showing utter contempt blablabla for daring to work on new features. My point was (which seems to have escaped you), that there is no point pulling engineers off new features so they can learn new code to the level of being able to fix bugs productively.

Strangely, I'm in regular contact with support.

Is the backlash to v10 really that bad? Has any software company ever introduced a new version of the software without there being huge backlash?

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, ehrt74 said:

Has any software company ever introduced a new version of the software without there being huge backlash?

Most companies don't release incomplete beta versions of software to the general public

• Like 8
  • Level 5

Personally I don’t want to generalize. Somebody decided on strategy (probably 2-3 years ago), somebody had to oversee implementation and somebody decided they are ready to go, and authorized launch.

At least the third decision was a very premature one. The first app to launch was EN iOS, and it was definitely not ready for any job with the first release. Unfortunately it hit devices that were mainly set to auto-update, which multiplied the effect.

When I look at it from the outside, it seems that oversight of the software development project was not up to industry standards. If there were quality gates passed during development, the gatekeepers were probably on leave when the packages were moved along.

The strategy IMHO is basically sound - unify code, create one user experience over platforms etc. What bothers me is that there were important parts of the package strategically removed that made EN stand out from the crowd. I am still not convinced that a year from now we will have more than just-another-note-taking-app.

To this end, the current plans would not be competitive any longer. If you compare others, you typically pay appr. half of what Premium or Business does cost, and still get a decently performing solution. Or you opt for not so bad free options, and live with some compromises.

In total I regained some optimism (the last releases were quite ok), but I think everybody should have a „Plan B“, ready and tested, just in case !

• Like 6
5 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm a longtime Evernote fan, and am currently using the Evernote Legacy product on a Mac   
The product is working well for me  

... a wise decision. Me too. Unfortunately I have not been able to side step the iOS or support impacts. 

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
21 hours ago, Rabbit704 said:

It could be that some of those dropped features from v6 are never coming back (we know with high confidence that is the case with at least some features), while others are difficult to incorporate into v10 and will take more time, while still others may be deemed very fringe and may not be nixed, but on a far back backburner.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I don’t want to generalize. Somebody decided on strategy (probably 2-3 years ago), somebody had to oversee implementation and somebody decided they are ready to go, and authorized launch.

At least the third decision was a very premature one. The first app to launch was EN iOS, and it was definitely not ready for any job with the first release. Unfortunately it hit devices that were mainly set to auto-update, which multiplied the effect.

When I look at it from the outside, it seems that oversight of the software development project was not up to industry standards. If there were quality gates passed during development, the gatekeepers were probably on leave when the packages were moved along.

You've been around long enough to know this is nothing new for Evernote. Their QA has been rubbish for many years. They never learned that lesson and it really bit them with this major release. And to your point, it goes beyond just the QA process - it's not like they weren't aware of some of the problems; we have posts on this forum and elsewhere from beta testers who communicated the bugs to EN, and yet the general release contained many of these bugs, so clearly a decision was made to press forward, consequences be damned (or perhaps they felt the consequences of delaying were even worse).

• Like 2
8 hours ago, QFieldBoden said:

what in your opinion would be the best alternative to go for in moving from Evernote, I want to be able to import a .enex file of all my notes. Something like Notion any use? Thanks.

Check out Obsidian. That is what I am now using. I was able to migrate all my notes with tag hierarchy and note links in tact but it does require some technical/scripting knowledge. However, the pain is worth it as I now have all my notes in a non proprietary format (Markdown), never to be locked in again. Any alternative will involve compromise but, in my case, what I lost, was made up for 10x over by other features that Evernote does not, and will never provide.

Notion looks good on the surface but without Markdown support I ruled it out.

Good luck.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 1/13/2021 at 6:38 PM, s2sailor said:

This dashboard, for the most part is essentially another view with the addition of a built in scratch pad.  It loads in about the same time as other views as best as I can tell.  There have been requests for this and I suspect many will like it.  For my use, it doesn’t provide anything I need, but it is nice to see some new features added.  I’m puzzled that it has been added to basic.  I think it should have been left out and used as a differentiator for Premium.

Agreed, this doesn't add much for those who are very familiar with how to take advantage of Evernote's flexibility. I don't think this is intended at power users. I believe it's intended to convert some of the 80% of non-daily users to daily use. As well as to bring in some new users.

I think that angle may be why this was prioritized over bringing v10 to feature parity with v6 or the *long* list of highly requested features (that would largely benefit power users). We'll be able to see whether my thesis is correct over the next couple of months - do we get new features while feature parity remains outstanding and while years-long popular feature requests are ignored.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, Rabbit704 said:

However, the pain is worth it as I now have all my notes in a non proprietary format (Markdown), never to be locked in again.

While EN doesn't really lock you in, for sure there is value in having notes in a widely supported, readable format like markdown. After the v10 debacle, I'm also inclined to move everything to markdown and never move to an app that doesn't use markdown. Markdown is becoming the de facto universal travel visa in the note app space - it allows you to easily move anywhere, even if that anywhere isn't even a note app, but rather .md notes in folders synced over dropbox or nextcloud.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
10 minutes ago, tavor said:

I believe it's intended to convert some of the 80% of non-daily users to daily use. As well as to bring in some new users.

A $70 hamburger?  ;)

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, CalS said:

A $70 hamburger?  ;)

The steps EN has been taking seem consistent with the argument I've made that their focus is on reaccelerating growth, and worrying about monetization later.

That's why the new dashboard isn't Premium-only; only some of the frills are reserved for Premium.

So yes, from your perspective, it may seem like a $70 hamburger, but the fact is that Premium subs like yourself, who fall into the power user camp, have a high exit hurdle, and EN is well aware of that. Which is why you will continue to pay for that $70 hamburger - because $70 to avoid the headaches and lost time of finding a suitable replacement and actually moving not just a huge # of notes, but also your workflow, to another app, seems like a bargain! 

7 hours ago, Krunoslav said:

I wish Evernote would follow a very simple common sense rule. No new features until old ones are working as people expect. And bugs and performance issues are no longer an issue. Also when new version of Evernote is released, there need to be trust in the stability, not playing Russian roulette with updates. Will I lose my data? Will it crush two or three times per hour etc. I'm been using Evernote for years and for years it has gotten from bad to worse, with not much ability to learn from previous mistakes being shown by Evernote. Right now still version 10 is not ready for general release its basically early beta version of the program. What are you doing releasing new features when the old ones that you removed are still not there and there are stability and performance issues. What is the logic behind that?

I have to agree with what @Krunoslav stated....and just to add to it if I may....

WTF is going on with Product? Too much crack smoking? Who cares about 10.6 release with the home feature when your product is un-usable? I mean you can't make this sh*t up regarding prioritizing the backlog? That said, when the F*** is Evernote going to fix core issues for note taking?... 1) Search is horribly slow for a note and locks up 15-30 sec 2) Pasting screen shots completely locks up the note for 15-30 seconds (can't type or move cursor) a) selecting text takes forever b) moving cursor lags c) scrolling screen locks and lags 3) The longer the note is open and more screen shots added and or text is entered the slower it is to F*** type some basic text making the product un-F*** usable!

"WHEN WILL THESE CORE ISSUES BE FIXED FOR BASIC NOTE TAKING; INSTEAD OF F*** releasing more chrome for a stupid A** home page?"

I have no idea what is going on at Evernote nor what product thinking or smoking? Is anybody within the company (especially product) remotely aware that the basic minimum features are not working and thus causing the product to be unusable? Yet they want to release stupid SH*t like an updated home screen?  Somebody please put me out of my misery!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, Rabbit704 said:

Check out Obsidian. That is what I am now using. I was able to migrate all my notes with tag hierarchy and note links in tact but it does require some technical/scripting knowledge. However, the pain is worth it as I now have all my notes in a non proprietary format (Markdown), never to be locked in again. Any alternative will involve compromise but, in my case, what I lost, was made up for 10x over by other features that Evernote does not, and will never provide.

Notion looks good on the surface but without Markdown support I ruled it out.

Good luck.

@Rabbit704 why do you continue to grace the Evernote user forums with your "TRIGGER WARNING" rants if you have moved on and are not looking back?  Good luck to you...

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
58 minutes ago, tavor said:

The steps EN has been taking seem consistent with the argument I've made that their focus is on reaccelerating growth, and worrying about monetization later.

That's why the new dashboard isn't Premium-only; only some of the frills are reserved for Premium.

So yes, from your perspective, it may seem like a $70 hamburger, but the fact is that Premium subs like yourself, who fall into the power user camp, have a high exit hurdle, and EN is well aware of that. Which is why you will continue to pay for that $70 hamburger - because $70 to avoid the headaches and lost time of finding a suitable replacement and actually moving not just a huge # of notes, but also your workflow, to another app, seems like a bargain! 

If V10 is not up to speed when 6.25.1 sunsets I will not be paying for the $70 EN hamburger.  :(

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, aukirk said:

@Rabbit704 why do you continue to grace the Evernote user forums with your "TRIGGER WARNING" rants if you have moved on and are not looking back?  Good luck to you...

... because I enjoy irritating fanboys like you ... thanks for validating my participation 👍.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, tavor said:

So yes, from your perspective, it may seem like a $70 hamburger, but the fact is that Premium subs like yourself, who fall into the power user camp, have a high exit hurdle, and EN is well aware of that. Which is why you will continue to pay for that $70 hamburger - because $70 to avoid the headaches and lost time of finding a suitable replacement and actually moving n ot just a huge # of notes, but also your workflow, to another app, seems like a bargain! 

Personally, I have a list of must-have features   
The Version 10 product is not an alternative if those features are missing     
I have already verified my notes and workflow can be moved

• Like 2
2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@aukirk Don’t take him too serious.

60 Million years ago a big stone fell on him and his fellows. So if he is still around, he is probably slow in digesting new realities 🦖

Lol ... another Guru hanging on to the hope that Evernote will improve. I understand this. I hung on for a long time too. But with 1329 posts (OMG!) I am betting your confirmation bias is off the charts.

Time will tell who the dinosaur is but for now, I am loving not being tied to this sinking ship, and even more loving watching you GURUs get what you deserved for all those years blindly defending the indefensible and attacking anyone who dared to speak ill of the elephant. You made your bed, now lie in it. 🤣

5 hours ago, tavor said:

Agreed, this doesn't add much for those who are very familiar with how to take advantage of Evernote's flexibility. I don't think this is intended at power users. I believe it's intended to convert some of the 80% of non-daily users to daily use. As well as to bring in some new users.

I think that angle may be why this was prioritized over bringing v10 to feature parity with v6 or the *long* list of highly requested features (that would largely benefit power users). We'll be able to see whether my thesis is correct over the next couple of months - do we get new features while feature parity remains outstanding and while years-long popular feature requests are ignored.

I'm not sure this was prioritized. I don't know how much freedom individual teams in Evernote have. This is however an example of something that can realistically be implemented now and was impossible before the unified code base.

58 minutes ago, Rabbit704 said:

Lol ... another Guru hanging on to the hope that Evernote will improve. I understand this. I hung on for a long time too. But with 1329 posts (OMG!) I am betting your confirmation bias is off the charts.

Time will tell who the dinosaur is but for now, I am loving not being tied to this sinking ship, and even more loving watching you GURUs get what you deserved for all those years blindly defending the indefensible and attacking anyone who dared to speak ill of the elephant. You made your bed, now lie in it. 🤣

Interestingly, for me as a chromebook and android user, evernote has never been better.

• Evernote Expert

POSITIVES - To be honest, i think atleast for me EN is doing better. It still lacks my main go to feature Cntrl+Q, but somehow, for me i sense that it is much more stable and syncs faster, and in general is much more responsive. The old 6.x code ( starting from Ver 4.x) would suddenly go off into a freeze state, for no specific reason, and i just had to wait aeons, for it to recover. Only way out was to kill the app, and re-open it again. In that sense, the new V10 app is doing quit well for me. 

The otehr reason may be that, I use on Android, but the latest Android version has still not yet popped up in my play store. I am still using 6.x on Android. Somehow, importantly, amidst all its transition, Evernote have got the sync engine working between the new and the old. 

MY CRIBS - I am not happy with the way, Evernote Search works. I preferred the old WIndows Search better ( I gave a feedback document to the EN Development team and also had a online discussion session with them.) I was told that the new search, was here to stay. 

During the discussion back then, i was also told that, there was so much demand for the Cntrl+Q, ( the whole discussion which i had was based around this Ctrl+Q, with examples, and how to me- the Web Client was useless without Cntrl+Q ( Windows 10.x was not ready at that time) and that they were bringing it back, due to popular demand. They also said that tag users were a very small portion of EN population, but they had to keep supporting tags, because a huge number of users/power users were heavily dependent on Tags. 

Similarly, i get that, if popular features which are going away,  are pressed in huge numbers, they will invariably bring it back. 

QUITTING EN? - I am sure lots of you, me included have been so frustrated with EN, at various points in our life with EN. It appears that the 10.x version has also not gone too well, with quite a few. Question, is what next after EN? Thats the major challenge. For me, i have 20,000 Notes with a 40 Gb database. I did a trial import to Notion, Notion did do a decent job, i tinkered around with it, for a while, when i realised that it didn't support the flexibility of adding and indexing/searching/organizing tags the way EN does. Bummer. 

I also tried some other apps. I think one was called 'Nix Note' or 'Never Note', which was almost a ditto clone of EN. but again, some of the features supported in EN, were missing. 

Several third party clients, which ( even sync with En) look very promising, but over the years, lose steam and eventually don't get supported. Matcha was an awesome IOS app and i was using it as my go to EN client a few years ago, , but it isn't supported today. Similarly, lots of Android apps, as well. Even, if we exported our data and imported the date in another client, will the 'Note LInk' feature, which was designed for EN, work there? 

In such circumstances - MIgrating else where leads to 2 problems. 1. Will that app continue to be in active development ? 2. Will it support the major tool set/workflows which we had in EN? ( This is variable for each users. For me i use a combo of Tags/Notebooks and also the Reminder button in EN). 

So, under such circumstances, whether i like EN or not, i am sticking with it, since, for me its competitors are either too complex/ very poor features and don't mimic my workflow in EN. As someone mentioned, it's like a trap, and changing my workflow around a new app, when i have invested 10 years in EN, doesn't seem to make any sense. 

So, whether i like it or not ( at the moment, i like what the app offers, as i don't like its competitors ), i am using Evernote. But with the new promise, i am hopeful, that things will get better. 

For users who are frustrated, but think they have a working solution else where, you can do a test migration. For me, i am staying, 

• Like 3

HOME
A secondary/fancy feature which was unasked but somehow appreciated. 

Still wondering why to limit the -useful- scratch pad to 300 chars.
Do you fear running out of space? ;)

However, as already said, appreciated.

But, but, BUT, BUT:

With this new secondary feature something else rolled back in a buggy/unstable/unusuable status.
Now my cursor again goes on top every time the note autosyncs... obviously while you're writing. 
And if it doesn't, a second conflict-copy gets created. 
This is a core Core CORE CORE PRODUCT FUNCTIONALITY.

Having to face new CORE PROBLEMS every time a secondary/useless feature gets released is... is.... merely unacceptable.
No matter how long you've been loving/supporting the product.
No matter how long you've been saying to yourself "be patient, soon things will get better".

Please keep this in mind.
In the love of Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, SK_123 said:

Even, if we exported our data and imported the date in another client, will the 'Note LInk' feature, which was designed for EN, work there? 

A few points of clarification. Note links are not unique to Evernote. As for importing Evernote notes to other apps, yes, you will lose existing note links, but that's due to EN's enex format, which does not preserve note links. If you import enex files into Evernote itself, you will lose existing note links. There are workarounds for this, but the issue is the enex format, not a limitation of enex importers. There are export formats that preserve note links, e.g., Joplin's jex format.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, tavor said:

A few points of clarification. Note links are not unique to Evernote. As for importing Evernote notes to other apps, yes, you will lose existing note links, but that's due to EN's enex format, which does not preserve note links. If you import enex files into Evernote itself, you will lose existing note links. There are workarounds for this, but the issue is the enex format, not a limitation of enex importers. There are export formats that preserve note links, e.g., Joplin's jex format.

Thank you for this info. 

a small point of clarification. You mean, if i exported my account as .enex, and re-imported the same file again to EN, the notelinks wouldn't work? Then, what is the point of the export, then? 

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, SK_123 said:

Thank you for this info. 

a small point of clarification. You mean, if i exported my account as .enex, and re-imported the same file again to EN, the notelinks wouldn't work? Then, what is the point of the export, then? 

Correct. If you do that, you will lose ALL your note links. 

Export still has value. It provides one means of backup (though somewhat lossy given loss of note links) and it also provides a means of note portability (again, somewhat lossy given loss of note links). For someone who doesn't use note links, this isn't an issue. For those who do use note links, there are workarounds. This is certainly suboptimal, but it is what it is, and I haven't seen any indication from EN that they are going to change this. And given the v10 debacle, improving note portability probably isn't high on EN's priority list (just my own speculation).

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, SK_123 said:

Even, if we exported our data and imported the data in another client, will the 'Note LInk' feature, which was designed for EN, work there? 

The in-app links (evernote:///view/...) will continue to work
Of course, they will open in the Evernote app - I won't be deleting the app for a long time

The web links will continue to work
Of course, they will opening at the Evernote web site - I won't be deleting by data or account for a long time

The links also contain the Evernote note-id (..../ce781d76-f738-4ae6-8cc5-23c9315ae785)
Using a script on my Mac, I have note-id appended to the note-contents
I can locate notes using a text search

20 hours ago, DTLow said:

Most companies don't release incomplete beta versions of software to the general public

A lot of companies do. Look at Windows Vista or the first few versions of iOS ...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, SK_123 said:

POSITIVES - To be honest, i think atleast for me EN is doing better. It still lacks my main go to feature Cntrl+Q, but somehow, for me i sense that it is much more stable and syncs faster, and in general is much more responsive. The old 6.x code ( starting from Ver 4.x) would suddenly go off into a freeze state, for no specific reason, and i just had to wait aeons, for it to recover. Only way out was to kill the app, and re-open it again. In that sense, the new V10 app is doing quit well for me. 

The otehr reason may be that, I use on Android, but the latest Android version has still not yet popped up in my play store. I am still using 6.x on Android. Somehow, importantly, amidst all its transition, Evernote have got the sync engine working between the new and the old. 

MY CRIBS - I am not happy with the way, Evernote Search works. I preferred the old WIndows Search better ( I gave a feedback document to the EN Development team and also had a online discussion session with them.) I was told that the new search, was here to stay. 

During the discussion back then, i was also told that, there was so much demand for the Cntrl+Q, ( the whole discussion which i had was based around this Ctrl+Q, with examples, and how to me- the Web Client was useless without Cntrl+Q ( Windows 10.x was not ready at that time) and that they were bringing it back, due to popular demand. They also said that tag users were a very small portion of EN population, but they had to keep supporting tags, because a huge number of users/power users were heavily dependent on Tags. 

Similarly, i get that, if popular features which are going away,  are pressed in huge numbers, they will invariably bring it back. 

QUITTING EN? - I am sure lots of you, me included have been so frustrated with EN, at various points in our life with EN. It appears that the 10.x version has also not gone too well, with quite a few. Question, is what next after EN? Thats the major challenge. For me, i have 20,000 Notes with a 40 Gb database. I did a trial import to Notion, Notion did do a decent job, i tinkered around with it, for a while, when i realised that it didn't support the flexibility of adding and indexing/searching/organizing tags the way EN does. Bummer. 

I also tried some other apps. I think one was called 'Nix Note' or 'Never Note', which was almost a ditto clone of EN. but again, some of the features supported in EN, were missing. 

Several third party clients, which ( even sync with En) look very promising, but over the years, lose steam and eventually don't get supported. Matcha was an awesome IOS app and i was using it as my go to EN client a few years ago, , but it isn't supported today. Similarly, lots of Android apps, as well. Even, if we exported our data and imported the date in another client, will the 'Note LInk' feature, which was designed for EN, work there? 

In such circumstances - MIgrating else where leads to 2 problems. 1. Will that app continue to be in active development ? 2. Will it support the major tool set/workflows which we had in EN? ( This is variable for each users. For me i use a combo of Tags/Notebooks and also the Reminder button in EN). 

So, under such circumstances, whether i like EN or not, i am sticking with it, since, for me its competitors are either too complex/ very poor features and don't mimic my workflow in EN. As someone mentioned, it's like a trap, and changing my workflow around a new app, when i have invested 10 years in EN, doesn't seem to make any sense. 

So, whether i like it or not ( at the moment, i like what the app offers, as i don't like its competitors ), i am using Evernote. But with the new promise, i am hopeful, that things will get better. 

For users who are frustrated, but think they have a working solution else where, you can do a test migration. For me, i am staying, 

I think humans tend to think like this. if you've spent a lot of time using Evernote (folders and tags and queries) you will look for these features in other products. For example, I recently read a critique of Evernote that a user should be able to drag notebooks to order them as the user wishes. People who use Evernote a lot would say "just prefix the folder name with a number". 

I'm quite sure Notion is a very capable app. It has a large community and not all of them can be idiots. However, I've learnt to use Evernote and moving to anything else at the moment would be a lot of work.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, davidjspooner said:

I wish you would actually restore broken / lost functionality rather than add stuff I wasnt aware anyone wanted. 

Who „you“? Don‘t forget this is primarily a user to user forum... So me or us won’t be able to fix  anything.

I think that soon restoring broken / lost functionality is something most of us would wish most for v10, but don‘t forget: xmas is just over...😉

On 1/13/2021 at 1:20 PM, HeBoIz said:

Can't we be just happy that there is at least one new feature

Bingo!  You said it.

The dashboard is a "sign".  The big "Evernote Development Wheel' is actually alive & moving—now visibly.

That is a very Very good thing.  The dashboard, and the speed it was shipped, i think, is like the "first big positive benefit" of the architectural switch to PWA from native. 

They can now ship stuff way faster. 

Aside from the scratchpad, I don't use the dashboard. Still, I don't care.  This feels like they're competing again.  

What I hope, is that this is just the beginning, and soon, we'll start to see them innovate and push the envelope, and...

...give me some dang anchor links, or a way to link to specific lines of text!  Hazaa!

• Like 3
11 hours ago, tavor said:

As for importing Evernote notes to other apps, yes, you will lose existing note links, but that's due to EN's enex format, which does not preserve note links

@tavor@SK_123 There are open source migration tools available to convert .enex files into Markdown, which can then allow those Markdown formatted notes to be imported into other note applications with the links intact. Yarle is one such open source tool available to migrate .enex files to Obsidian. I have used it to migrate .enex files into Obsidian with note links intact. However, this is not a seamless process and it requires preparation of Evernote notes before migration. E.g. EN titles cannot have special characters (like the usual unix filename restricted chars | # < > etc) and the name of the note link in Evernote must be identical to the title of the note it is linking to (that is how Obsidian matches the links. It does not match the unique URL of that link). That clean up process can be automated using 3rd party Evernote services like Filterize. So if you have renamed your EN note titles after creating the link, you can either fix that before migration or manually relink the notes in Obsidian afterwards (note linking in Obsidian is far easier than in Evernote and it has backlinks so the relinking process is easy - and it can be automated with some scripting using the sed command).

Solving the issue of being able to migrate notes out of Evernote with links intact was one of the main things holding me back from leaving Evernote a few years back when the (then) new CEO, Chris O'Neill, decided that instead of giving users much needed functional improvements, he decided to focus the company on a new elephant logo and some additional shades of green for the branding (and now we have the new CEO giving us more UI candy instead of functional improvements with this pointless new dashboard).

Some basic scripting knowledge is required for these migration processes but you do not need to be a genius coder.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Thanks for posting this. I do not have extensive note links (maybe 10% of my notes have a note link), so I probably wouldn't jump through all these hoops, but it might be useful for someone who has lots of note links.

12 hours ago, Rabbit704 said:

@tavor@SK_123 There are open source migration tools available to convert .enex files into Markdown, which can then allow those Markdown formatted notes to be imported into other note applications with the links intact. Yarle is one such open source tool available to migrate .enex files to Obsidian. I have used it to migrate .enex files into Obsidian with note links intact. However, this is not a seamless process and it requires preparation of Evernote notes before migration. E.g. EN titles cannot have special characters (like the usual unix filename restricted chars | # < > etc) and the name of the note link in Evernote must be identical to the title of the note it is linking to (that is how Obsidian matches the links. It does not match the unique URL of that link).

This requirement is met in the vast majority of my note links. And in those cases, a reasonably simple manual approach is available for those who don't have a large # of note links - when you encounter a note with a note link (that goes nowhere because the target address is invalid), run a title search using the text of the note link, find the target note, copy the link, and recreate the link in the referring note. I would do this on an as needed basis, basically when I encounter a note with a note link that I wish to click thru. 

12 hours ago, Rabbit704 said:

So if you have renamed your EN note titles after creating the link, you can either fix that before migration or manually relink the notes in Obsidian afterwards (note linking in Obsidian is far easier than in Evernote and it has backlinks so the relinking process is easy - and it can be automated with some scripting using the sed command).

This is the trickier scenario - where note title does not match the note link text. For me, this represents a small # of note links, so my plan is when I encounter such a note link, I will run a search to try and find the target note (which I anticipate will typically be easy to find), then recreate the link. For a small # of these cases, seems to me it's much easier to fix on an as needed basis post-migration than it is to try to identify all such cases pre-migration. Not even sure how one could identify all these cases (either all note links or all note links where note text doesn't match an existing note title) pre-migration - but if that could be done, then cleaning up those note titles wouldn't be too bad.

An approach that @DTLowuses is using EN Mac scripting tools to append the GUID to each note. Then in whatever app enex files are imported into (including Evernote itself), when you run into a note link, you run a search for the GUID in the link and will find one and only one note, which is your target note. Then you recreate the link. I took a quick look at EN Windows scripting tools and it wasn't clear doing this was possible in EN Windows. I suppose someone on Windows could sync their notes to borrowed Mac machine, then run the script, sync, delete their notes database from the borrowed Mac machine, and now all their notes (except those in Local Notebooks) will have a GUID in the note body. For someone without a lot of note links, this may also be undesirable in that every note has a GUID appended to the bottom of the note - it's more of a shotgun approach, covering every note, rather than a precision rifle approach that would only target notes that are being linked to by other notes.

• Like 1
On 1/16/2021 at 3:13 AM, Rabbit704 said:

@tavor@SK_123 There are open source migration tools available to convert .enex files into Markdown, which can then allow those Markdown formatted notes to be imported into other note applications with the links intact. Yarle is one such open source tool available to migrate .enex files to Obsidian. I have used it to migrate .enex files into Obsidian with note links intact. However, this is not a seamless process and it requires preparation of Evernote notes before migration. E.g. EN titles cannot have special characters (like the usual unix filename restricted chars | # < > etc) and the name of the note link in Evernote must be identical to the title of the note it is linking to (that is how Obsidian matches the links. It does not match the unique URL of that link). That clean up process can be automated using 3rd party Evernote services like Filterize. So if you have renamed your EN note titles after creating the link, you can either fix that before migration or manually relink the notes in Obsidian afterwards (note linking in Obsidian is far easier than in Evernote and it has backlinks so the relinking process is easy - and it can be automated with some scripting using the sed command).

Solving the issue of being able to migrate notes out of Evernote with links intact was one of the main things holding me back from leaving Evernote a few years back when the (then) new CEO, Chris O'Neill, decided that instead of giving users much needed functional improvements, he decided to focus the company on a new elephant logo and some additional shades of green for the branding (and now we have the new CEO giving us more UI candy instead of functional improvements with this pointless new dashboard).

Some basic scripting knowledge is required for these migration processes but you do not need to be a genius coder.

I wonder how good markdown is as an exchange format. There are a number of different definitions. 

On 1/15/2021 at 1:39 AM, aukirk said:

When you change with your notes to another program, even when everything is converted, you want to use the old program as an ARCHIVE.

You want that program WORKING for several years. And you use it only as read only.

So I understand when the archive isn't working people can get upset.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Angry said:

When you change with your notes to another program, even when everything is converted, you want to use the old program as an ARCHIVE.   
You want that program WORKING for several years. And you use it only as read only.      
So I understand when the archive isn't working people can get upset.

I'm using the Evernote Legacy product; it's still working

• Like 1
On 1/14/2021 at 8:08 PM, CalS said:

If V10 is not up to speed when 6.25.1 sunsets I will not be paying for the $70 EN hamburger.  :(

Same here.  Any news on how long 6.25.1 will still be working? I have avoided updating after trying out the beta version and not being happy with it.  Already, the sync button no longer works, although the syncing does appear to be happening in the background. Not sure if the import folder is still working either.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No issue with legacy on Mac, working as before.

Nobody knows how long legacy will work, so if you need a specific feature not supported in v10, you better prepare your plan B. The Windows software is the most outdated, still being a 32bit software.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, catsknit said:

Same here.  Any news on how long 6.25.1 will still be working? I have avoided updating after trying out the beta version and not being happy with it.  Already, the sync button no longer works, although the syncing does appear to be happening in the background. Not sure if the import folder is still working either.

Clueless. I would guess there are some months left.  Import folders are coming back soon, hopefully other features will be un-retired soon as well.  From what I gather in the V10 forums there is still a ways to go with speed and too many bugs.  I tried V10 on Windows for about 15 minutes and dumped it.  Not sure it plays nice with larger data bases.

It would help if there was some guidance from EN on the life span of the "old" stuff, but hey, maybe they aren't 100% sure at this point.  As @PinkElephant says, think about your alternatives should the features you need not make a comeback.  Local notebooks is a killer for me.  And I don't do well with slow software.  But I am comfortable using 6.25.1 until it becomes clearer.

• Like 3
17 hours ago, catsknit said:

6.25.1 will always work. Evernote still works fine on blackberry os devices and they haven't seen a new release in 8 years.

Evernote cannot change its API. it is rock-solid.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ehrt74 said:

6.25.1 will always work. Evernote still works fine on blackberry os devices and they haven't seen a new release in 8 years.

Evernote cannot change its API. it is rock-solid.

Couldn't they stop sync for v6 clients?

• Level 5

What are you afraid of ?

There are enough thing in the world to fear to make one stop thinking about irrelevant, nity-bity stuff like when a piece of software will be discontinued. No company will turn a switch and kill a service they supported for years before. If they want to discontinue legacy, there will be information and ample time to decide what to do next.

Don’t worry, be happy !

3 hours ago, tavor said:

Couldn't they stop sync for v6 clients?

I'm not sure the client even sends a version number. 

If evernote does know the client's version, they seem to have not prohibited clients based on version for a very long time, and there's no reason to think they would suddenly start now.

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, ehrt74 said:

If evernote does know the client's version, they seem to have not prohibited clients based on version for a very long time, and there's no reason to think they would suddenly start now.

I don't think they would drop support for older clients without notice, particularly after instructing customers to use the older client while the new client is being refined.  But who knows what can happen?  The easiest way to mitigate the older clients is to remedy the new client, be it speed, bugs, or completing functional repair.  Even then the old client may work.

If there is a concern it would be if EN were to add nested notebooks or the like which required a fundamental change to the data base structure.  That might be problematic when syncing older clients.  But such a change would be visible from a long way off.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, ehrt74 said:

As per @CalS' post, seems this has been done before. 

If it were EN's intention to allow v6 to sync for years to come, given all the complaints about v10 and all the user departures and many more threats of departures, wouldn't EN come out and say as much in order to calm the waters?

I view their silence on v6 (other than to say it can be used for now) in the face of the user uproar as a signal that v6 will definitely be rendered inoperable at some point. My personal view is at least 6 months from v10 release, perhaps longer if approximate feature parity takes longer to achieve. And there will be plenty of notice. I just think their messaging to the userbase would be different if their current plan is to keep v6 around for years.

For sure, given the pace of development among the competition and hopefully EN itself, v6 will be obsolete within 2 years, so this may be a mostly moot point that far out as hardly anyone will want to use v6 by then.

5 minutes ago, tavor said:

As per @CalS' post, seems this has been done before. 

If it were EN's intention to allow v6 to sync for years to come, given all the complaints about v10 and all the user departures and many more threats of departures, wouldn't EN come out and say as much in order to calm the waters?

I view their silence on v6 (other than to say it can be used for now) in the face of the user uproar as a signal that v6 will definitely be rendered inoperable at some point. My personal view is at least 6 months from v10 release, perhaps longer if approximate feature parity takes longer to achieve. And there will be plenty of notice. I just think their messaging to the userbase would be different if their current plan is to keep v6 around for years.

For sure, given the pace of development among the competition, v6 will be obsolete within 2 years, so this may be a mostly moot point that far out as hardly anyone will want to use v6 by then.

As I said, the client for Blackberry OS is 8 years old and still works fine. Evernote's API isn't going anywhere.

I can't see Evernote developing the legacy clients much, but I'm not sure they can actively stop them from working, even if they wanted to.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, ehrt74 said:

As I said, the client for Blackberry OS is 8 years old and still works fine. Evernote's API isn't going anywhere.

I can't see Evernote developing the legacy clients much, but I'm not sure they can actively stop them from working, even if they wanted to.

We're talking about an app that has to phone home when you first install it. I'm pretty sure they can pull the plug on sync when they're ready to do so.

36 minutes ago, tavor said:

We're talking about an app that has to phone home when you first install it. I'm pretty sure they can pull the plug on sync when they're ready to do so.

Have you seen how it phones home? I haven't yet looked at the protocol. I think it uses thrift, which is a binary protocol.

By the way, you can download the thrift API definition and generate your own client, if you wish. I wrote an Android app to organise nested tags before this capability for added to evernote's in-house Android client.

• Level 5*
42 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

@tavor „Can do“ is not relevant. If you are the electrician, you „can probably do“ more than you imagine. Like pull the plug ...

If you bother that much, then grab your data and leave.

No reason to spill more ink on this ...

I thought @catsknit's question about v6's life is relevant, and has been left unaddressed by Evernote, so it's only natural that people will want to discuss it. To paraphrase your words, If it bothers you that much, ignore it.

I expect v6 will be around longer than v6 will be relevant, so I'm not personally concerned about whether EN could pull the plug on it or not, though I do find the discussion about that issue interesting. The v10 debacle spurred me to look around at some other note apps for the first time in several years (back then it was only EN and ON in terms of cross platform note apps), and the space has really exploded in recent years. After using some features that EN doesn't have, there's no going back to v6 longer term. Now that I've seen what's out there and how fast it's moving, I can totally see why EN *had* to unify the codebase - their product would have been rendered an also-ran within a few years if they tried to sustain development of 5 different codebases while their more nimble competitors developed using one codebase. While I think their execution was horrible, v10 is definitely the way forward, and hopefully v10 will be able to obsolete v6 before the end of 2021.

• Like 2

For the first time in 13 years I regret having installed a new version of Evernote.

I wanted to check out the new Home feature, so I just installed the new version on my Mac, and I've learned that a feature I use ALL DAY LONG, "Command+T" (to open new tabs) is GONE. I cannot begin to tell you how frustrated I am with this. Here's how I (used to) use tabs: https://lassala.net/2019/11/04/using-evernote-tabs-and-tags/

The panel to organize Tags is also gone. Now I only see the tags list in one column, which is NOT the best way to see this information when I have a large screen in front of me.

This may be the "Windows Vista" version of Evernote for me.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, lassala said:

I wanted to check out the new Home feature, so I just installed the new version on my Mac, and I've learned that a feature I use ALL DAY LONG, "Command+T" (to open new tabs) is GONE. I cannot begin to tell you how frustrated I am with this.

Not a solution to the main issue you are having, but there is the option to install the "Legacy" desktop version to get back to an EN that works "as expected". The Legacy desktop version can be installed and run along side of the V10 desktop version on a computer. I highly recommend that you only have one or the other version open at any time on your Mac to prevent conflicts.

Legacy version info: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

I jumped from Evernote to Notion a couple years ago, but just signed up for a Premium trial to check out this update and the other improvements Evernote's been working on.

But I'm not seeing this feature (Home) on Mac or web. Do I need to do something to access this?

I'm sure there's others doing the same. If Evernote wants to improve retention of new/returning customers, please make it clearer how to access this (or messaging when it'll be rolled out).

• Level 5

You need to be on the 10.6.x release to see it. If you don’t get this release offered by itself, you can go to the AppStore or the EN web site to download it yourself.

Once you have the right version installed, it will show by itself on your start screen. Premium will give you some customizing options.

Hi Evernote-friends, 

I already posted this question in the forum yesterday, but it is still hidden... 🤔

I can't find the home button/dashboard anywhere on the downloaded app and there is no option to enable or disable the home button. 

I was really looking forward to this dashboard, and now I can't find it. Who can help me please? 

PS. For completeness: On the web-version the button and the dashboard are present, thank you  

How can you deactivate that home-screen ?

I really don't need that, it just makes my notes 1 waiting time + 1 click farther.

Plus, you cannot even try to make it useable by personnalising it without having to pay for it.

So I want to get rid of that *****.

On 1/13/2021 at 1:13 PM, toao said:

just out of curiosity: it sure looks nice but what new functionality does the home screen add that did not exist in the side bar before?

and more importantly: what features you have canned in V10 will be re-instated when? and which are gone for good?

thanks...

The home screen provides a new user experience. In other words there's a different experience when you can view multiple categories of information all at once and through casual glance. It's very different from having to click multiple times back and forth in order see multiple things in the application.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:28 PM, PinkElephant said:

Nobody knows how long legacy will work, …

I posted just in another thread

Ian Small on german magazine c't (own translation):
There are currently no plans to end the legacy version, although that is sure to happen at some point. But we would give enough advance notice, and by that I don't mean just a few weeks.

From here (Sorry pay wall):
https://www.heise.de/tests/Evernote-10-im-Test-und-Evernote-CEO-Ian-Small-im-Interview-5024163.html?seite=all

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

For serious work I still rely on legacy on my Mac, and I am very relaxed about it.

First v10 is still evolving, getting better with each release. Features marked as permanently discontinued do not concern me, and if all the others completely return, time will tell. The iOS client is already close to feature parity with the prior version, Mac v10 still has a way to go. 

Secondly my „Plan B“ is ready for implementation, if need be. To make this clear: Plan B is not better than EN (if measured with setting legacy to 100%), it is the next best alternative. So currently there is no need to disrupt „Plan A“, which is to stick with EN.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, Angry said:

I posted just in another thread

Ian Small on german magazine c't (own translation):
There are currently no plans to end the legacy version, although that is sure to happen at some point. But we would give enough advance notice, and by that I don't mean just a few weeks.

From here (Sorry pay wall):
https://www.heise.de/tests/Evernote-10-im-Test-und-Evernote-CEO-Ian-Small-im-Interview-5024163.html?seite=all

No worries, @ehrt74 will let the CEO of EN know that he cannot actually stop EN v6 from working even if the company wants to.   😉

• Level 5

There are other posts where I did this already in some detail, so only very briefly here:

Plan B depends on the fact that I am running (nearly) Mac and iOS only. So sorry, not for Windows or Android.

My first option is DEVONthink, my second option is Apple Notes. The outcome depends on whether I think that Investing into learning DEVONthink (which is more „nerdy“ than EN) is offset by the advanced capabilities it offers.

There is currently talk about a next DT main release to be launched any time soon, and I will check on its feature set before deciding. DT is purchased software, so you buy a release and operate it from then on. Updates are free, upgrades are not.

We all learned some lessons about „next releases“ in the last months, didn’t we ?

Apple Notes is compared to EN or DEVONthink a very lean, reduced solution. But it inherits some great features directly from the OS, is deeply embedded into the Apple productivity tools and there is no doubt it will be around for a long time.

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, tavor said:

No worries, @ehrt74 will let the CEO of EN know that he cannot actually stop EN v6 from working even if the company wants to.   😉

It's quite possible they could stop EN v6 from synching. I don't know, because I haven't looked at the wire format. Have you? 

They can't do it by making the API incompatible. That would break all the integrations and apps out there and many companies would not like that.

• Level 5

.... and result in a nice class action suit.

Not everything what could be technically done will happen. The discussion about „Oh, they could do this or that, because they are ABLE to do it“ is complete nonsense. Or do you never put your car for maintenance, because the craftsman in the workshop could do a little job on your brakes ? He is ABLE to do this, believe me.

One day EN will announce it is going to discontinue the use of legacy from (set date in the future), and kindly asks all users to upgrade. There will be several reminders, becoming more urgent in tone, over a period of months (plural). There will be a lot of time to switch, and you have no trouble at all because all of your information is still in the v10-client.

What will probably be discontinued are several aspects that maybe will not work with v10 at that moment. Local notebooks will be gone for sure, maybe scripting as well, maybe HTML export, maybe some other features, some API integrations etc. . Nobody knows today, because v10 is not yet complete.

So if your use cases are sensitive to these „traditional“ features, better have a Plan B ready, just in case. But you will have ample time to decide whether you need it, and employ it. 

Since I"m the one who asked about how long V.6 may be around, my main concern is that as they continue to develop the new format, my legacy copy on Windows might at some point not sync.  I wasn't implying they would do it behind my back just that some link might break and I would lose notes I'd saved on the web client for example.  I do 90% of my work through my Windows desktop version 6 at home but use the web more when I am at work.  I have had Evernote lose a whole batch of about 60 notes a few years ago during an upgrade and after more than a month of working with support, never was able to retrieve them.  Luckily they were not absolutely crucial but still missed.

I am not at all tech-savvy as far as understanding API and wire and all the other things mentioned above, just going by prior experience.

I actually kind of like the new home screen on the web client - the old web client was really ugly and awkward compared to the Windows version. I will be watching to see whether they bring back the Import folder which I relied on heavily for batch imports of pdfs and photos.

• Like 1