Introducing Home, launching on Mac, Windows, and Evernote Web

Go to solution Solved by Brittany N.,

On 1/18/2021 at 5:07 PM, inkytea said:

I jumped from Evernote to Notion a couple years ago, but just signed up for a Premium trial to check out this update and the other improvements Evernote's been working on.

But I'm not seeing this feature (Home) on Mac or web. Do I need to do something to access this?

I'm sure there's others doing the same. If Evernote wants to improve retention of new/returning customers, please make it clearer how to access this (or messaging when it'll be rolled out).

I don't know about Mac, but my web version was still the old one.  I had to click on something under my account to change it. Try looking there.

4 hours ago, catsknit said:

Since I"m the one who asked about how long V.6 may be around, my main concern is that as they continue to develop the new format, my legacy copy on Windows might at some point not sync.  I wasn't implying they would do it behind my back just that some link might break and I would lose notes I'd saved on the web client for example.  I do 90% of my work through my Windows desktop version 6 at home but use the web more when I am at work.  I have had Evernote lose a whole batch of about 60 notes a few years ago during an upgrade and after more than a month of working with support, never was able to retrieve them.  Luckily they were not absolutely crucial but still missed.

I am not at all tech-savvy as far as understanding API and wire and all the other things mentioned above, just going by prior experience.

I actually kind of like the new home screen on the web client - the old web client was really ugly and awkward compared to the Windows version. I will be watching to see whether they bring back the Import folder which I relied on heavily for batch imports of pdfs and photos.

Basically you can think of evernote as being in 2 parts: a database living in the cloud and a client that accesses this database. To talk to each other, they both need to speak the same language. This is the API. Any client that speaks this language can speak to the database. 

As it is, there are hundreds of clients, not just the windows/web/OSX/iOS/Android apps, but also hundreds of other web services which can do stuff with your evernote database: feedly can save articles to database, filterize can scan your notes and insert content, pleexy can create tasks in todoist based on notes in evernote, etc. etc.

If Evernote ever breaks the common language, everything breaks. All of the internal services used in companies to insert content into evernote or automate changes in evernote will break.

Fortunately Evernote has, to the best of my knowledge, never changed this language. For example, the blackberry app which was last updated a very long time ago can still interact with the evernote servers just as it always could.

The new v10 client is still missing some features that are in the legacy desktop clients (the v10 clients on mobile and on the web are already more feature-complete than the older clients for these platforms). There's nothing stopping Evernote adding all of the features of the legacy desktop clients to the new client. My bet is, the v10 clients will implement all the features found in the legacy clients within a few months.

• Like 1

i like the widgets.  but i was surprised to see the limitation in sizing them.. for example i want to pin a note that bullet points i use daily ... they're not wide.. i have a choice of a sqaure... or 2 wide rectangles??  whereas i wanted to just drag the square longer to make like a memopad length to show it all.  sad that i cannot do that.  

it's a good start.. but not wholly all that useful as it stands right now.

On 1/14/2021 at 2:23 AM, Rabbit704 said:

TRIGGER WARNING FOR GURUS: This post does not represent blind support for Evernote. Like most normal users on these forums, I don't care for your self righteous, arrogant views but if you feel you need to respond to get your post count up then fill your boots.

---

I really cannot believe that Evernote are proud to advise that they are working on new features (mostly which weren't asked for) when so many long time paying customers are just waiting for previous critical features to be reinstated and for some level of acceptable performance and customer support to be reinstated (you know, like not having to wait 6+ weeks to be advised that as a 10+ year Premium user, the reason that I cannot access Evernote v10 for web is because I have more than 1000 notes.)

Working on new features at a time like this is just another example of the utter contempt that Evernote have for its customers.

I came on here to find out why I cannot get the Web app to load. A 1000 note limit, they have got be joking! Where on earth did that idea come from? I use EN as a depository for all things important, and archive them using multiple tags. I have over 23,000 notes!. 

Edit. Rabbits post re note limit of 1000 is wrong. I have now accessed the 23k + notes in the web app. Much relieved

Edited by Sans Culottes
Added a note
  • Thanks 1
On 1/15/2021 at 9:41 PM, HeBoIz said:

Who „you“? Don‘t forget this is primarily a user to user forum... So me or us won’t be able to fix  anything.

Fair comment. I was under the mistaken belief that evernote product managers would be reading the forums that evernote host.  The latest "new feature" I've had the absolute pleasure to encounter today is the app found some of my backups and without asking decided to import them. ALL of them. - so now i have DUPLICATE items filling up my inbox folder - normally that has 50-200 items , but joy of joys today its got 3816 items duplicating things I've already filed. Still at least these little gems will keep me busy trying to refile items. I assume this is the product manager trying to discourage me from taking backups or horrors of horrors' being able to move my data to an alternative working product.

I apologies for venting to this community. Hopefully at least on of the community members will have a mate whos sister is dating the the cousin of the neighbor of the product manager and remind him "If its not broken don't fix it"

• Haha 2
  • Level 5

No issue with me.

Maybe a bad install. I would use AppCleaner (free app) to remove EN completely, restart the Mac and install fresh. After login in wait before using because it needs to sync again. Notes will come first, attachments will follow. When the notes are there, you can probably start using the app again without risking note conflicts.

@Shane D. I like the new Home feature release if the rest of the Fujitsu ScanSnap Evernote Edition s1100 scanner would work with the new release for Mac OS X High Sierra. I've been a paid premium customer for 10 plus years because Evernote has always supported the ScanSnap Evernote Edition s1100 scanner. At the end of the day...Evernote is a document repository and in order to go paperless, a physical scanner performance is far superior than using a camera phone when you have tons of documents on a monthly basis from our snail mail. 

Please fix the major issue of incompatibility of evernote and scansnap s1100 scanner so we can all continue to scan our docs directly into evernote without having to follow the crazy long re-install of the scanner app from fujitsu website. As a paid premium user, I'd expect the integration should be seamless between evernote and fujitsu. User should not have to waste our time fixing these incompatibility and bug fixes. 

And one more request, please make major announcement when a scanner app is no longer incompatible. Don't stay silent and let the user figure it out when it is too late after we've installed the updated evernote app then finding out everything breaks and it is filled with tons of bugs and incompatibility.

Very frustrating.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

The scan snap EN edition scanners are no longer supported by the v10 release. This is permanent and was communicated with the v10 release notes.

The S1100 is no longer supported by Fujitsu (end of life). They have some software on their web site, but it is not updated since years. It will probably run on Windows 10, and it will not run on Macs running Catalina and up.

https://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/software/s1100.html

If you can find a firmware for a standard S1100, you can probably convert the S1100 EN edition into a standard S1100 scanner. I am not sure about this for this model - it works for an ix500. The conversion is final, it can’t be reverted. Since the scanner is end-of-life, and it was never mentioned here in the forum I am not sure whether trying to update it with new firmware would brick it instead.

Getting a new scanner is probably the best (but not cheapest) solution to fix this permanently.

As long as it is available you could run EN legacy, that should still work with your scanner:

this Home Screen looks good for me. and I really welcomes new feature like this. 

But like others say,  it is true that new mac App still has lot of bugs and missing essential feature. I really recommend anyone who is annoyed on V10 should use Legacy app and web app version.

the current web app version is way more comfortable than local app. it has almost all feature including "Home", and seems less buggy and fast.

So much moaning and negativity, when EN have been quite honest that features that are "power user" only and get the least use are the ones that will be last to be reinstated (and that some might be so niche as to not come back).

For me, user on web, windows and IOS the new versions are more consistent and the new Home feature seems good, though not a gamechanger in workfow.

I see so much on this forum about moving to alternatives, but very few doing it and being happy enough with the changes not to be coming back here.

I have looked at alternatives.I am encouraged to use Onenote at work, as part of their corporate strategy, and have tried Notion, but the fact is that as an EN user since 2013, having defined my workflows, tagging and systems nothing beats EN for me - still.  

We all hate change, but no-one could argue that the web version hasn't improved massively, and most changes in my experience are just taking a different but consistent route to performing an action.

This should be a place to discuss our experiences in working with the product, and our ideas for making it better, not an escape committee.

Other software forums would be shutting down the type of content that appears here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Gazebo said:

We all hate change, but no-one could argue that the web version hasn't improved massively

I will let you know once I can actually access it.  Something about too many notes being a problem.  Not even a feature issue.  Nice, eh?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hello All,

I've been a user for probably over 10 years now. Great product!

But if you're trying to entice me to try the new "HOME" aspect,  that 44 second video is not going to help.

The screen jumps so fast you don't have a chance to focus on anything. It's disturbing. Rethink that pitch .

Just my opinion.

Gary

• Like 2
On 1/11/2021 at 5:23 PM, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

I’m happy to announce that today we’ve released a brand-new Evernote feature: Home. It's rolling out to Mac, Windows, and Evernote Web customers over the next few weeks, with iOS and Android to follow.

Home makes Evernote even more powerful by putting your most important information at your fingertips. It’s a one-stop dashboard that keeps the content you need front and center—neatly organized and instantly available—so you can stay on top of your day without feeling overwhelmed. 

English_@2x.png

Evernote Basic and Evernote Plus customers will see the following widgets in their Home dashboard:

• Notes (recent and suggested)
  • Scratch pad (perfect for jotting down ideas quickly)
  • Recently captured media (includes web clips, documents, images, audio, and emails)

Evernote Premium and Evernote Business customers can customize their Home by moving, resizing, and removing widgets, and changing their background image. They’ll also have access to these additional widgets:

• Notebooks (recent and suggested)
  • Pinned note (select a note you use often to keep it handy)
  • Tags (open a list of all the notes with that tag)
  • Shortcuts (quickly open a designated note, notebook, tag, or saved search)

If you’re not a Premium or Business customer yet, no problem. You can get a free trial of Evernote Premium to explore the full range of Home features. You’ll also get unlimited devices, larger notes, and more.

If you have any questions, please feel free to start a thread in this forum or reach out to me directly here

Thanks!

Shane D.

I have a hidden note which contains all my passwords, which is shared with my husband in case anything happens to me. It is buried in an unlikely notebook. Howver, every time I look up a password it now displays on my home screen! Can I turn the Home screen off or hide a note which is never displayed?

6 hours ago, JeffCarswell said:

In Chrome, there aren't any widgets and I can't add any.  It says You don’t have any widgets t There is nothing on the right side to add.  It is working in MS Edge though???

I’m using chrome but it works fine.

I think a screen shot might help us to understand!!

On 1/14/2021 at 3:53 PM, QFieldBoden said:

This is a genuine question. I'm very unhappy about the way Evernote is going downhill and I'm a long time user with loads of notes. You look to have some technical knowledge and no loyalty to Evernote, can you advise a user (me) what in your opinion would be the best alternative to go for in moving from Evernote, I want to be able to import a .enex file of all my notes. Something like Notion any use? Thanks.

As someone who made the trip EN->Notion-> in the last year (I used exclusively the paid version of Notion from March 2020 till January 2021) I have to warn you. Notion looks really nice and has a lot of possibilities. Also development seems to be faster than what it used to be with Evernote and there is a lof of positive vibe about the app. However, after trying it extensively I decided to come back to my old friend (been using EN sinds 2008). The reasons: 1. search is nowhere close 2. It's much slower; if people complain about EN being sludgy, oh boy, what are you going to say about Notion? 3. Tags are a joke, basically unusable (they do exist but they are not even searchable!) 4. There is no OCR (and no plans to implement It as well!); for someone who embeds many pdfs in his notes, this is huge 5. No offline, although they say they are working on it 6. No API, although this is also coming 7. No option to work on pdfs or documents in the app, without first downloading, modifying and then re-uploading/replacing the attachment. But I could live with all these, since there are also many positives in the app. The big elephant in the room is that Notion (and basically many other note-taking apps, eg Roam) are locking you in their eco-system with no valid exit options. If you change your mind and want to leave, if you find a better app, if they go bankrupt and shutdown you are f@cked! I moved almost 2000 EN notes to Notion within a couple of evenings and most time was spent to figure out how to arrange them in the new app. Moving back to EN from Notion took me about a month, painfully moving notes one by one. (only good thing is that I deleted a lot of them that I realized weren't necessary any more). So, be careful. This is something that NOONE in YouTube and the blogs seems to mention!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5
On 2/2/2021 at 4:45 PM, Ann Marie Thomas said:

I have a hidden note which contains all my passwords, which is shared with my husband in case anything happens to me. It is buried in an unlikely notebook. Howver, every time I look up a password it now displays on my home screen! Can I turn the Home screen off or hide a note which is never displayed?

Very BAD security. 

What you do is called „security by obscurity“, and it is as dead a concept as it can be. Search and retrieval are so powerful today that it simply does not work any longer. That the Home Screen algorithm can find it just shows how easy it in fact is. Never store confidential data in an open format like EN ! When your computer is unlocked, the drive is decrypted, and a simple search can find any content that is stored in EN even without launching the software.

If you want to stay safe, get yourself a password manager. If you want to share passwords, you can try several. My wife and I use 1Password, that offers a shared vault for the family and a personal vault for everybody.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, JeffCarswell said:

image.thumb.png.ab90be4692084e88109dede856b947ff.png

oh, this looks totally different from mine. some kind of technical issue, I suppose. 

Since you are a premium user, I recommend you to issue a support ticket for this.

7 hours ago, Yiannis said:

As someone who made the trip EN->Notion-> in the last year (I used exclusively the paid version of Notion from March 2020 till January 2021) I have to warn you. Notion looks really nice and has a lot of possibilities. Also development seems to be faster than what it used to be with Evernote and there is a lof of positive vibe about the app. However, after trying it extensively I decided to come back to my old friend (been using EN sinds 2008). The reasons: 1. search is nowhere close 2. It's much slower; if people complain about EN being sludgy, oh boy, what are you going to say about Notion? 3. Tags are a joke, basically unusable (they do exist but they are not even searchable!) 4. There is no OCR (and no plans to implement It as well!); for someone who embeds many pdfs in his notes, this is huge 5. No offline, although they say they are working on it 6. No API, although this is also coming 7. No option to work on pdfs or documents in the app, without first downloading, modifying and then re-uploading/replacing the attachment. But I could live with all these, since there are also many positives in the app. The big elephant in the room is that Notion (and basically many other note-taking apps, eg Roam) are locking you in their eco-system with no valid exit options. If you change your mind and want to leave, if you find a better app, if they go bankrupt and shutdown you are f@cked! I moved almost 2000 EN notes to Notion within a couple of evenings and most time was spent to figure out how to arrange them in the new app. Moving back to EN from Notion took me about a month, painfully moving notes one by one. (only good thing is that I deleted a lot of them that I realized weren't necessary any more). So, be careful. This is something that NOONE in YouTube and the blogs seems to mention!!!

Is there custom font integration in Notion? 

While this new home page is very pretty and looks slick and useful, having to pay an extra $30/year to customize it so it works for me is ABSURD!  Not having my shortcuts or reminders as a widget I can set up when I already pay $37.00 a year renders this new screen useless...

• Level 5

OK, who wants to pay more ?

You need to decide for yourself if a new feature is worth the money for you. If it is not, just stick with your PLUS subscription.

Personally I doubt that EN will roll out any new functions to a plan that was abandoned years ago. PLUS will be more or less on the level of BASIC when new stuff is concerned, plus the vintage PLUS advantages on old features. Why not, if it serves its purpose.

But sure, getting ALL new stuff can be a temptation ... 👹

On 1/13/2021 at 3:13 PM, toao said:

just out of curiosity: it sure looks nice but what new functionality does the home screen add that did not exist in the side bar before?

and more importantly: what features you have canned in V10 will be re-instated when? and which are gone for good?

thanks...

Nothing. Absolutely Nothing. Yet we still can't use multiple tabs....a feature that used to exist but then was removed for no reason - absolutely decimating my workflow. Still can't resize sidebar and note list text.

I just can't believe that after all the awful feedback they've had for the past 10 "updates" that they continue to put out useless feature fluff like this without addressing actual concerns.

Evernote team. I don't know how many times it must be said, but THIS IS THE WRONG TYPE OF CONTENT TO FOCUS ON. BRING BACK FUNCTIINALITY. WE NEED NO MORE USELESS 'AESTHETIC' ADD-ONS

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

You can have tabs, as many as you want, just install legacy.

Maybe you don't like the home feature - I personally like it. We had a dashboard contest here in the forum about a year ago, so it was likely build from the manifold and very creative dashboards users presented there. So far about "not communicating" and "ignoring users wishes" - home was build from and around user feedback. I would refrain from calling it "useless aesthetic add on" - you can search for the dashboard contest thread in the forum and take a look at what fellow users created for themselves from scratch. Many examples, and many of them quite amazing. For these users, home IS functionality.

But of course, you most likely have not been around in the forum then, and of course it is no reason you must embrace the home feature for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/13/2021 at 6:38 PM, s2sailor said:

This dashboard, for the most part is essentially another view with the addition of a built in scratch pad.  It loads in about the same time as other views as best as I can tell.  There have been requests for this and I suspect many will like it.  For my use, it doesn’t provide anything I need, but it is nice to see some new features added.  I’m puzzled that it has been added to basic.  I think it should have been left out and used as a differentiator for Premium.

Well I'm a Plus user. Been with Evernote since 2015. Been working for me as needed with little bugs on both IOS and Windows. Except when they rolled out V10, which was an epic failure. They did roll this new interface out to all levels, however you can only change it, remove widgets or change background home pic if you are premium. Which is not a good marketing strategy. The new look is ok and functional, but why would you force me to take this. If I did not like it, I would have pay more money or leave Evernote. There is nothing at the premium level that adds any value to my use of Evernote. Not to run on, if they offer it to all levels, they should let you change it, or remove it, at any level. I hope someone from Evernote can take this to heart. 

Hi, where is the option to remove the dashboard? I'm Premium. I got this annoying new view now every time I open the Evernote Android app and it requires one useless extra tap onto a quite small area "Notes >" to open the notes list which is the main view I need every single time. I found options to edit the contents of this dashboard but I cannot find any option to skip it entirely (also looked into every page of the general settings). And no, just having the "notes" widget doesn't work because it shows only 2½ notes without scrolling, with only one line of preview and a lot of empty space, and "drag down to sync" doesn't work on it either. It worked great before this update, going straight to note list - how can I restore the old behavior?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, CherryDT said:

Hi, where is the option to remove the dashboard? I'm Premium. I got this annoying new view now every time I open the Evernote Android app and it requires one useless extra tap onto a quite small area "Notes >" to open the notes list which is the main view I need every single time. I found options to edit the contents of this dashboard but I cannot find any option to skip it entirely (also looked into every page of the general settings). And no, just having the "notes" widget doesn't work because it shows only 2½ notes without scrolling, with only one line of preview and a lot of empty space, and "drag down to sync" doesn't work on it either. It worked great before this update, going straight to note list - how can I restore the old behavior?

And I thought I am the only one. I deliberately hate the dashboard too. 
The CEO said "we don't plan". 

The 2,5 notes ticked me off. AND it scrolls sideways 😞

I need on the screen my last 10 notes at a glance. (20 would be better) 

• Like 1

Long time paid Evernote user since about 2014/2015.

Just updated Evernote on iPad iOS and got this new redesigned home page.

Please tell me that there is a way to turn this off and just see all my notes like before! PLEASE!

I don’t need a scratch pad and seeing 5-6 little notes with horizontal scrolling is not what I signed up for. This new “view” may force me to leave Evernote as I use EverNOTE for taking notes and organizing info and could not care less for a home image or a “widgetized” default view that totally limits the “instant” viewing of your Notes.

/End of rant!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Jeff C said:

"Introducing Home"

Thanks, I hate it.

Please let us disable it in settings.

Man, I hear ya! Nothing EN has updated has been beneficial for me whatsoever. I don't think I will ever get over not being able to have custom fonts installed. The minute I find something even remotely functional as EN - I'm gone, but for now the options EN does have and the things that I use are the best I can find...and for that I am grateful. 

• Like 1

Is the home thing a beta test that got leaked?? I'm no UX/UI designer but EN seems to devolve more than evolve. "Recently Captured" is redundant since opening EN (prior to the useless Home install) already lists notes in recent ordering. "Scratch Pad" widget is half the layout footprint of "Customize your Home" section. Why wouldn't you design that into the menu or preferences, rather than forcing the user to look at it every time the Home screen appears?? Please grant us very longtime paying users the option till delete this useless hack. And do better beta testing.

• Level 5

Since you can customize the Home Screen, a certain redundancy between elements is not necessarily a design error. If you decide to choose all widgets, notes may show in more than one. But the idea (how I get it) is to choose those that give the most benefit as start configuration.

There is an existing thread asking for options in all clients to start in note view instead of home. You can vote it up if you want to support it.

I just watched the Home video and it looks great.  I am a very long time Evernote user but my use is limited to a few things.  This may make me want to expand what I use Evernote for.  My only thought when watching the video is that I would like to have multiple pinned notes (ie one could be an inspiring quote and another could be a list, and maybe a picture in a third).  Love to decorate and customize things! 

Thanks for the update!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

There is an existing thread asking for options in all clients to start in note view instead of home. You can vote it up if you want to support it.

Do mean one of these? Or is there another?

(Everyone who agrees: You upvote with the error left to the topic)

Two threads for "no Home view at startup"

and

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry Shane, but I've had problems ever since this home page was introduced. I'm now in an infinite loop of "Aw Snap" error-pages when I try to login. I posted a comment about this in the user forum. And all this trouble for a home page which, in my opinion, is much ado about nothing. Looks to me like a page that would have been designed by Captain Obvious.

• 1 year later...

Hi @Shane D. - I love the new Home. But I find myself not using it so much. Is there a chance that in future updates we will be able to make individual widgets longer, so you can see more tasks in the task widget for example, or more of a pinned note, etc. Also, I'd love Home to remain there when I click to open a note so the note opens in a separate window and Home remains behind it -- like a true dashboard that you can always flip back to without having to reload it. The sidebar is still so much more powerful than Home that I too often decide Home isn't worth the trouble of loading again. If Home have more of the power of the sidebar, or the sidebar could be given some of the features of Home, I would be excited. Thanks for all the great work. I'm a long time user and have never found a better tool for storing info.

6 hours ago, dplatter said:

Also, I'd love Home to remain there when I click to open a note so the note opens in a separate window and Home remains behind it

You can already do this by double clicking the note in home. The note is launched in a new window but the main app stays on home. So when you close the note, Home is still there.

I completely agree with your comments of Home vs the sidebar or even a "dashboard note" with links etc. Sadly, after a promising start, further development of Home seems to have just stalled. The inability to configure the shape of the widgets (I want a note widget which is the shape of a note) kills it for me.

• Level 5
10 hours ago, Mike P said:

I completely agree with your comments of Home vs the sidebar or even a "dashboard note" with links etc. Sadly, after a promising start, further development of Home seems to have just stalled. The inability to configure the shape of the widgets (I want a note widget which is the shape of a note) kills it for me.

There has been some movement in the Home setup: With 10.45 it is now possible to define EN to start with the computer, and to always show home as start screen (instead of going where it was left the last time). This means that the Home screen can in fact be used as a welcome dashboard now.

If it is up to the job depends on everybody's preferences, use and the ability to tailor it to this end.

• 6 months later...