Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Mac

Evernote 5.0.4 for Mac

evernote

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 Jackolicious

Jackolicious

• Title: Desktop Products
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

Hi everyone,

We are happy to announce that we just released Evernote for Mac 5.0.4 via direct download from our website: http://evernote.com/...ile=EvernoteMac

It addresses a lot of speed/stability concerns as well as AppleScript bugs and CJK search highlighting issues. Please understand that the past month's rapid releases do not represent us being flippant about releasing buggy software. Rather, they demonstrate our commitment to rapid, iterative improvement. For this release, stability was of the utmost importance and hopefully, this release reinforces that commitment to our most important stakeholders: you.

Thanks for all your feedback and enjoy!

Jack

My TwitterCheck out our Knowledgebase  our guides here: Mac or Windows. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#2 mrgoerend

mrgoerend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:57 PM

You guys fixed copy-pasting. I know it was fixed just for me, so thank you. :)

#3 Jackolicious

Jackolicious

• 1,507 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

mrg, how'd you know? :)

My TwitterCheck out our Knowledgebase  our guides here: Mac or Windows. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#4 dodowolf

dodowolf

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

The Typeface choice still doesn't work as intended. It's working fine in the 3.3 of Evernote

Attached Files

#5 PeterLondon

PeterLondon

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:39 AM

Please understand that the past month's rapid releases do not represent us being flippant about releasing buggy software. Rather, they demonstrate our commitment to rapid, iterative improvement.

"It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words."
Syme. From the novel 1984 by George Orwell 1903 -1950.

#6 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,213 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

Hi everyone,

We are happy to announce that we just released Evernote for Mac 5.0.4 via direct download from our website: http://evernote.com/...ile=EvernoteMac

It addresses a lot of speed/stability concerns as well as AppleScript bugs and CJK search highlighting issues. Please understand that the past month's rapid releases do not represent us being flippant about releasing buggy software. Rather, they demonstrate our commitment to rapid, iterative improvement. For this release, stability was of the utmost importance and hopefully, this release reinforces that commitment to our most important stakeholders: you.

Jack

Good job Jack. Thanks for working quickly to remedy the problems. Extensive use of the app since the overhaul has not changed my dissatisfaction with some of the design decisions (I expressed these earlier), but I won't recite the litany again here, unless you would like to read through the list again!

BUG: New note focus
- If I make a new note, sometimes the new note disappears before I can even type the title, and I have to go hunting for it.

#7 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

Hi everyone,

Jack

Jack, if it turns out to be a true stability fix, and doesn't introduce more bugs than it fixes, then I will be more than happy to applaud your speedy recovery.

I'm still running EN Mac v3 on my primary Mac. I'll keep a close eye on this thread and if after a few days it looks like there are no new major issues withVer 5.0.4, then I'll update my test Mac for further evaluation.

#8 Mike Wood

Mike Wood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

Jack, if it turns out to be a true stability fix, and doesn't introduce more bugs than it fixes, then I will be more than happy to applaud your speedy recovery.

I'm still running EN Mac v3 on my primary Mac. I'll keep a close eye on this thread and if after a few days it looks like there are no new major issues withVer 5.0.4, then I'll update my test Mac for further evaluation.

In the good old days it was only the iOS client you took a risk updating day one of release. Then Mac joined the party and some of us sat smugly using Windows without issues. Even Grumpy sort refuge in Windows, but we too cannot upgrade now without bugs and missing features.... I find myself evaluating versions on test machines and squirrelling away versions, that work, in case I need them later?!#

#9 Mike Wood

Mike Wood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

This feels more and more like the community pulling together after a natural disaster!

#10 yikeouch

yikeouch

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Back/forward is back on individual note windows ( with hot keys ), thanks.

#11 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,213 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

In the good old days it was only the iOS client you took a risk updating day one of release. Then Mac joined the party and some of us sat smugly using Windows without issues. Even Grumpy sort refuge in Windows, but we too cannot upgrade now without bugs and missing features....

Now, now. I am not using Windows because of any stability issues. To be sure, I have had a fair number of bugs, but nothing especially bad. The issue for me has been more a lack of features that will help me get stuff done. I have a pretty strong opinion about certain things in the app (I've already gone into the details over the last year or so in excruciating detail, so I think Jack knows what I am talking about), and the Windows version fits my use case better right now than the Mac version.

I will say that I remain very concerned about a bug that doesn't get mentioned too much in these beta threads. The unreliability of searches (http://discussion.ev...ks/#entry177496) right now is causing me no end of headaches, but I think all of the clients are implicated in this problem -- some definitely have much more trouble than others, but it is not clear to me which one (if any) is returning the "correct" search results. As I've been reporting search problems for a very long time now, and the developers have long been working on them, I suspect the problems are either insurmountable, or the error is in the user, who doesn't know how to properly search.

#12 Martin Packer

Martin Packer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

The trouble with rapid turn around is the "consumability" of it: Don't pity me but it's a pain on slow "broad"band to update. And then there's the risk introduced through software change.

Not that I'm complaining: I'm pleased you're rapidly fixing the issues others have uncovered. If you can make the updates incremental that'll help. But won't mitigate the churn risk.

#13 Mike Wood

Mike Wood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:20 PM

Now, now. I am not using Windows because of any stability issues. To be sure, I have had a fair number of bugs, but nothing especially bad. The issue for me has been more a lack of features that will help me get stuff done. I have a pretty strong opinion about certain things in the app (I've already gone into the details over the last year or so in excruciating detail, so I think Jack knows what I am talking about), and the Windows version fits my use case better right now than the Mac version.

I will say that I remain very concerned about a bug that doesn't get mentioned too much in these beta threads. The unreliability of searches (http://discussion.ev...ks/#entry177496) right now is causing me no end of headaches, but I think all of the clients are implicated in this problem -- some definitely have much more trouble than others, but it is not clear to me which one (if any) is returning the "correct" search results. As I've been reporting search problems for a very long time now, and the developers have long been working on them, I suspect the problems are either insurmountable, or the error is in the user, who doesn't know how to properly search.

@Grumpy I fully understand your use of Windows EN is related to lack of features! (not bugs). I don't think I said otherwise, although it could have been construed. ;)

BUT I think you are being rather too kind saying 'lack of features' when in reality it was the REMOVAL OF FEATURES that determined your solace in Windows.

#14 tardis

tardis

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

@Grumpy I fully understand your use of Windows EN is related to lack of features! (not bugs). I don't think I said otherwise, although it could have been construed. ;)

BUT I think you are being rather too kind saying 'lack of features' when in reality it was the REMOVAL OF FEATURES that determined your solace in Windows.

Japanese search issues aside, the sort features and vertical list view that GM prefers in the Windows client were never in the Mac client. You can argue client parity if you want but it's not a feature removal issue.

ETA: Not that I want to speak for GM. Just my observations from watching you guys hammer away at him. :)

Edited by tardis, 13 December 2012 - 02:00 PM.

#15 Mike Wood

Mike Wood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:44 PM

@Tardis I hope Grumpy doesn't feel we are hammering away at him... its just a bit of fun? its just his reality is a bit rose tinted. GM if I'm out of line just let me know.

I and I'm sure many others appreciate GM's contributions. He is consistent, informed, polite and welcoming. :)

#16 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,213 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hi! Hammer away :)

I've had to make several adjustments due to feature removals and design changes, and I would have preferred not to make them, but it's OK.

For example, we can no longer edit saved searches on OSX, and we can't modify them on iOS (adding additional terms in the search field), so they are a lot less functional for me. I now have all of my main searches in one "saved search" note. I copy / paste from there.

The search automatically includes joined notebooks in OSX now, and you can only remove them in sorts. It turns out to be quite inconvenient, so I just removed all of my joined notebooks. There are viable workarounds for everything, and I may just be an edge case, so I'm not going to push my stuff onto the developers.

In part it is about design choices, in part it is about feature parity, but it isn't about the app being "bad." It does what it does, but what it does fits less an less with what I want it to do :)

I figure that Windows pretty much has everything i need, so at this point it is just easier for me to use it via parallels.

#17 Jackolicious

Jackolicious

• 1,507 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

:) Glad you found it. I was about to post about it.

#18 mrgoerend

mrgoerend

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

:) Glad you found it. I was about to post about it.

Is this only with hotkeys? I wouldn't mind having the icons, too.

#19 Mike Wood

Mike Wood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

....the sort features and vertical list view that GM prefers in the Windows client were never in the Mac client. You can argue client parity if you want but it's not a feature removal issue.

Sorry Tardis... I have checked my wife's Macbook and can confirm Mac version 3.3 had List, Snippet and Card view. As far as sorting is concerned by any column (in ascending or descending).

#20 tardis

tardis

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:15 PM

Sorry Tardis... I have checked my wife's Macbook and can confirm Mac version 3.3 had List, Snippet and Card view. As far as sorting is concerned by any column (in ascending or descending).

Right. But not the vertical list view. Nor has the Mac client ever had the same number of sorting options that Windows has.

I've been using the Mac client since the day it was released. I have a pretty good idea which version has had what.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote