The New Evernote Web UI

claudecyrill

Idea

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Level 5*

Hmmm ... I see a lot of unused space.  It might be cleaner but it shows a lot less information than it did before.  I've switched back to "classic" view for now but will keep an eye on how this develops.  Thanks for posting the link.

• Level 5*

The new Evernote UI on web is simply amazing. Any word on if the desktop version will meet a similar redesign on Windows?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/2/6893765/evernote-redesigned-its-note-taking-web-app-and-its-gorgeous

Lots of users really don't like the EN Web Beta.

See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/68875-beta-no-reminders-shown-multiple-clicks-required-to-get-to-a-note/

Wow.  The comments on there are fairly supportive.  I'm shocked.

I don't want to get all elitist about it, but I can't help but wonder if the new design is great for people who dabble in Evernote.

Not so great for power users.

That's a really interesting point. It might be Evernote following a "new user" design strategy and get them hooked with just the first look.

I've been using Evernote daily and have about a dozen notebooks with cross-sectioning tags. So, you could say that I am a power user, too?

Regardless, I welcome the new design. It's very focused. 

The new Evernote UI on web is simply amazing. Any word on if the desktop version will meet a similar redesign on Windows?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/2/6893765/evernote-redesigned-its-note-taking-web-app-and-its-gorgeous

Lots of users really don't like the EN Web Beta.

See https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/68875-beta-no-reminders-shown-multiple-clicks-required-to-get-to-a-note/

Wow, the backlash is strong. Some of the points are really good, too. 

What do you think of the new design?

Thank you for helping me revert.  I definitely prefer the old web-layout on a computer.  Trust me, I am definitely a flexible person and don't usually hate web-site redesigns this much.  I can see the new beta design being OK on a tablet or phone...but then again we already have apps for that.  On a computer the beta looks prettier but is less useful and to me Evernote should keep their focus on function vs design if compromises must be made.  

Personally I really like the new web interface. I almost never used the old web interface largely because it was a cludgy version of what the desktop could do considerably better. The new interface is one I might actually use! 

I'm not sure if this is a new/old, power/light user kind of debate. I am neither a new user (been at it for over 4 years) and I am not a "light" user, I use it every day and do a lot of power-user things. I really think this is more about HOW a user is using evernote. 

For me, the new web interface gives me very quick and easy access to notebooks, tags, and the notes within them. I can bring up the search screen and enter a query and have my results in SECONDS, while in the old interface I never really even bothered and it was never quite as slick. The actual note editing is a bit rough at the moment but that's beta life. Conceptually speaking I like the new direction. 

I would argue that in general this is MORE functional, or, it has the same functions with considerably less friction in using them. At least, that is my subjective, personal experience, expressed as an opinion, from my standpoint (can I add any more qualifiers?). 

Change is change. It's going to inevitably alienate some users, and there's no way around that. For me, the changes to the web are fantastic. 

UPDATE:

That being said there are some clear omissions (REMINDERS!), as pointed out in the beta-hate thread. That being said, it is hard to tell whether such an omission is just because it has yet to be implemented to the beta. Time will tell. 

I also think they are going a bit overboard with the white-space and bigness in general. The grey header for a given notebook is way too big until you scroll down several notes. I think there room to go a bit more dense here. Again, beta. We can hope for changes! 

Personally I really like the new web interface. I almost never used the old web interface largely because it was a cludgy version of what the desktop could do considerably better. The new interface is one I might actually use! 

I'm not sure if this is a new/old, power/light user kind of debate. I am neither a new user (been at it for over 4 years) and I am not a "light" user, I use it every day and do a lot of power-user things. I really think this is more about HOW a user is using evernote. 

For me, the new web interface gives me very quick and easy access to notebooks, tags, and the notes within them. I can bring up the search screen and enter a query and have my results in SECONDS, while in the old interface I never really even bothered and it was never quite as slick. The actual note editing is a bit rough at the moment but that's beta life. Conceptually speaking I like the new direction. 

I would argue that in general this is MORE functional, or, it has the same functions with considerably less friction in using them. At least, that is my subjective, personal experience, expressed as an opinion, from my standpoint (can I add any more qualifiers?). 

Change is change. It's going to inevitably alienate some users, and there's no way around that. For me, the changes to the web are fantastic. 

UPDATE:

That being said there are some clear omissions (REMINDERS!), as pointed out in the beta-hate thread. That being said, it is hard to tell whether such an omission is just because it has yet to be implemented to the beta. Time will tell. 

I feel the same way. The reason I shied away from using the web interface was primarily because it was clunky(even with my high-end computers and fast internet). The new design is great, and I would really like for it to translate to the desktop version(Mac and Windows).

It definitely hits the target of being more "focused". There are some caveats that I found that will need work, but at the end of the day change is good.

UPDATE:

I also think they are going a bit overboard with the white-space and bigness in general. The grey header for a given notebook is way too big until you scroll down several notes. I think there room to go a bit more dense here. Again, beta. We can hope for changes! 

I agree with pretty much everything Scott said. I like it and eagerly await fine-tuning and addition of missing functionality.

Amazing indeed. There'd be even less distraction if there was JUST whitespace. Evernote is going from an information management tool to a whitespace tool.

• Level 5*

If the intent is to provide a very clean UI for writing, then than can be easily obtained without sacrificing all the the features so many of us need for our daily workflow.

Just like we have one-button for full screen, you could provide a button for a totally blank (if that's what you really want) piece of electronic paper for writing/reading.  Like EN Clearly.

I've seen it written many times that, by definition, Evernote employees are POWER users.  You certainly can't tell that by the UI designs (all platforms) that continue to be provided.

• Level 5

I'm loving the new look and feel, but for the life of me, I can't find how to hyperlink text.  Can someone clue me in?

It is not there. The same happened to the iOS 7 version and it is still not there. The only way is to enter text that can be interpreted as a link like www.evernote.com. Such a text turns into a clickable link. But as in iOS it is not possible any more to add a link to any text. From my experience with the iOS version I am afraid it will be like that, full stop.

I'm loving the new look and feel, but for the life of me, I can't find how to hyperlink text.  Can someone clue me in?

Wow!  That would totally mess up much of the function for me, especially in being able to create hyperlinked lists of notes for team members.  It's not like hyperlinking is a novelty.  Seems like a pretty basic function to me.

OK, so I very much like the direction of the new beta.  The old web interface was feeling tired and outdated.  I'll list off the good and the bad.

Good

• Much nicer to look at; it just feels more modern and 'now'
  • Feels faster and smoother
  • Much clearer view of the notes
  • Writing interface is much more welcoming
  • Very much like the floating, contextual text-formatting controls

Bad

• There is too much whitespace.  I get that it adds to the clean look, but if it was just a bit less it would make all the difference.  Reduce the whitespace by 10-15% or so.
  • Tag hierarchy is something I really miss.  It's the best way to tame a large number of tags, and serves to combine the flexibility of tagging with the spatially intuitive nature of a visual hierarchy
  • Can't create links between notes.  This was something that was already broken through the web on ChromeOS (which I use a lot), but now seems to have vanished completely

Bugs?

• The beta doesn't seem to remember my favoured sorting of notes.  It defaults to 'date updated'.  I prefer to list notes by 'date created'.  It switches fine, but doesn't remember that preference when I close or reload the webapp

Also, I'm a long-time reader of these forums and this is my first post.  I've been motivated to join in because I actually really like the beta, but feel it's missing just a few key bit of functionality that would make it really great.  

I've also tried new Beta, so:

I don't like:

• forcing mobile UI on desktop (white space, etc)
  • missing features like reminders
  • tags structure gone

It's unusable to create/edit or manage notes on desktop.

I can see that this interface is usable for mobile viewing but for that I have an Android app!

For me it looks like someone spend tremoundous time for desing/programming that is really wasted since users don't like it.

The word is Beta, but it feels like pre-alpha (minimal set of features)

For now I've reverted to the old version since it is far more usable.

If new Evernote web will be this kind of 'simple' app I will not have any chance to manage my notes since I'm using Linux for work.

I have to question some of the design choices with the new beta web client.

Improving focus over presenting information?

• What's the point of having all that screen real-estate if your not going to use it?
  • use of whitespace is too extreme, you still have space for more information without it getting confusing or distracting
  • I never found I was distracted by the list of other notes on screen while creating a note.
  • In fact I deliberately glance at the list of other notes in the notebook because they are often related to the note i'm entering so I can appropriately name the new note (deliberately simplistic example, Note 1, Note 2, Note 3, etc...)

Creating new notes over finding old ones? 

• With so many other ways to enter notes (web clipper, mobile apps etc..), do you really need to focus the web whole client around entering notes?
  • For me the web client is my main way to lookup previous notes, not to enter them
  • it now takes longer and is harder to find notes, multiple clicks, missing features like autocomplete search, notebook stacks etc..
  • the auto complete search box was key to finding my notes, being able to search for tags and notebooks at the same time as searching for keywords

Casual/new users over power users?

• My main gripe with this is that the lack of a linux client means i have no real choice but to use the web client as my main client. If there was a power user alternative on linux then I wouldn't mind the web client being simpler
  • The new interface seems to be tailored to the occasional or new user than power users
  • power users i would assume are the ones who actually pay for your services and so should be just as important, if not more important than acquiring lots of new casual users.
  • I speak for myself as a power user that I value a full featured experience than a simplified one
  • The web client was pretty much feature complete but I the beta version still has a ways to go.

I'm trying not to over react to the beta version, after all by definition it is not feature complete or ready for prime time, but I have gone back to the original for now.

I hope that some of the points I raised above help guide the rest of the beta clients development in a direction that will be convenient to me.

Or give me a linux desktop client and I wont care what you do with the web client :-)

Richard 

The new design for Evernote Web looks stunning. Beautiful typefaces, elegantly simple and extremely smooth. Seeing the screenshots of the 'redesigned' Mac app in the blog post 'Context' even makes me wish the Mac app would be a bit more like  it. While keeping all it's functions, though...

I like the new web UI and it's a move in the right direction I think. Old UI was a bit clumsy for web, and the new one also looks much nicer.

Two Questions though?

1. Is there a way to get a complete list of all the features that have been changed or are missing in the new web version compared to the previous one? Thank you.
  2. I just tried sharing a note and when I check the shared link online it still features the old UI. Since mostly I share to others to view a note, having a cleaner UI would be the way to go, right? When can we except that change or if it's there how can we activate it? Thank you.

Oh, and the web UI. It seems it does not scale as well on some of the larger screens, I haven't tested this but it seems that the center column for example stays the same weight no matter what screen size. So for example on the 30'' large screen, that would mean a lot of empty unused white space, right? Will that be addressed? 

I like the new interface. I use a 11" macbook air, I do not mind the extra whitespace but I would probably find it annoying on a 27" screen.

I did not read the whole thread but I hope the desktop client will get a similar restyle.

Evernote,

Good job on making it easy to switch back from the beta.  In a moment of weakness I tried it and was afraid I was stuck.

For me, I didn't like it.  I use the web interface on a PC at work where I can't install the client.  I found it much harder to do anything, and everything kept jumping around.  Too much white space.  One thing that seemed crazy to me is that the Evernote icon in the upper left wasn't clickable.  It looks clickable.

I have serious problems with the web UI; it basically puts a stop to my workflow process. I wonder if the differing opinions might center around how Evernote is used. 

I'm primarily a Folders user, though I use Tags as well. My workflow all comes into one central folder, and then I assign it to folders that follow the GTD system ("Right Now,", "This Week", "Someday"). But with the new Web UI, I can't move a note from one notebook to the next without actually going into that notebook. That means I have to go back to the notebook tab, find my folder with the incoming notes, then repeat the whole process. With the old system, I could just look at my Incoming folder, toss the notes into the appropriate Notebook, and be done organizing in seconds. This means the Beta web UI is pretty much unusable for me. 

My comment is super-simple and innocuous.  No doubt I will be thrashed for it. :)

On the left hand side, I expected the Notebooks icon to show 2 or 3 of them stacked and fanned (show show that clicking the button would show multiple notebooks.    post-226347-0-22399400-1412354034_thumb.

Actually, I like the new UI.  

I appreciate any attempts at lessening the visual input I have to take in.  Similar to skinnying down the number of apps I have on my iPhone because the new one I got had half the memory of my old one, I've found myself asking which features/toolsbards, etc. I HAVE to display on an app to get the same work down.  In this case, EV has guessed pretty close for me.

What I really want, though, is to be able to assign a cover image to each of my notebooks, which is more of a desktop app critique, but would have relevance here, as well.

Overall, I have no major issues with the new web UI, bearing in mind there is more functionality to come.

I would really like to be able to view notes as cards in the new UI, not just the clipping view. I feel the card view would actually work pretty well in the redesign. Depending on how it was done, you could probably display more notes simultaneously in card view.

the ugly *****?unwed coupling?*** of the unusable Windows metro version of evernote AND some android material aspirations = poison for anyone with more than a few notebooks, hopefully the powerusers can abort this *****!

• Level 5*

the ugly *****?unwed coupling?*** of the unusable Windows metro version of evernote AND some android material aspirations = poison for anyone with more than a few notebooks, hopefully the powerusers can abort this *****!

:lol:  :ph34r:   I enjoyed the uncensored version I got in my inbox.

I don't want to decide too quickly, I'll give it some time, but I have to say I am floundering with the new UI. It just seems harder to find things.

I like when toolbars and buttons are visible so I know what my options are at a glance. I don't always remember that there is that buried formatting option that I have to go click on an icon to find and expose. Things are hidden in weird places, under icons where I might not look. I understand the idea of focusing on the content, but when everything else is hidden away, I can't always recall it or find it. Also, things are very spread out...too much, I think. Makes it harder to scroll through content. I'd like the list more compact.

Also, too much white space.

I have a wide screen monitor, and it looks ridiculous that there's this column of content down the middle, and an ocean of white on each side. I'd like to pin a column of notebooks or whatever to the left instead of wasting all that space. It's not friendly to people that navigate the way I do.

It took me all of 30 seconds to decide that the old UI was more powerful and usable than the new beta.  Sadly, the direction being taken in the beta is emulating the mistake of a multitude of websites of late (think PCWorld, PC Magazine, ComputerWorld) where they optimize their UI for TOUCH even though I am using a notebook computer.  The information density is too low, and ​UI elements are too large and wasting space and hiding functionality.  This is not an interface I can see myself using on a daily basis -- please don't force a tablet/touch UI on us desktop, keyboard and mouse users.  Thank you.

I think the user interface is better clean, but I do hope that a lot of the functionality in the other platform versions is added into the beta quickly, otherwise its usefulness will be constraining.

I would also hope that the consistency of the interfaces is rapidly brought together.  I use Evernote on a range of different devices (iMac, iPad, Macbook Air, Android phone) using a mix of the local app or the web client depending on the device I am using at the time.  Having a consistent user experience across those different devices really helps my productivity.

My most common way of working though it using Cloud SAAS apps (Google Apps including Drive, DropBox, Mindjet amongst others) without storing anything locally.  I would really like to see being able to "upload" files from external services into Evernote and then "download" files to the external services.  For example, I have a PDF on Google drive that I want to bring into Evernote so that it can be indexed and simplify the searching for me for this document (and I know there are apps and services that will search across multiple services).  I have to save the PDF onto the local disk and then attach it to Evernote.  Why, when using a web client, can't I just upload from an external service?  

I had originally posted this in a different thread before realizing this was a more appropriate place for feedback. So I've removed it from there to add here. I'm aware that my opinion is stated harshly, but frankly that's how important my workflow is to me and how much I hate this abhorrent web design trend of throwing in a ton of wasted, white space and calling it "beautiful" or deciding that all users are incapable of paying attention to what they're doing if anything useful is in the way to "distract" them.

So my feedback is as follows:

This is unattractive and useless to me, valuing wasted, empty space over functionality! If this is the way Evernote is going, I'll have to find some other service to use. Just... no. I sincerely hope they scrap this horrible thing. It looks like a less featured version of the app. There is no excuse for a product used on desktops to be less featured and more cumbersome than a mobile app, full stop.

Furthermore, it's disgusting to lose the convenience of having everything laid out and within reach, or to take beautifully compact lists and turn them into clunky and oversized space-wasters hidden from view at most times. When I write at a real desk with pen and paper, I don't shove everything (research, other writing, etc.) into the desk drawers when I know I'll likely need it. I push it neatly over to the side, just like the original web client had it. I can only imagine that the percentage of users who actually find having convenient and quick access to everything 'distracting' are a super-small minority. In contrast, I find it distracting having to go play hide-and-seek with my existing notes, tags, etc. every time I need to refer to or edit one. Even moreso, I find a giant oversized list of notes to all run together and become impossible to read, compared to the convenient layout of the original notes list in the sidebar.

I implore the Evernote team to please scrap this redesign before it goes live, or at least permanently allow us an option to keep the old version. Allow those obsessed with white space to have the beta, and let those of us who prefer a functional workspace-- those I see in this thread being called "power users" though I'm shocked at the idea that being someone who prefers to have all my work available at a glance makes me such --keep the original layout.

As a power user, I think the new web design is interesting. Obviously it is in beta. Obviously they will add more and more functionality. The concept is great. Visually it is less cluttered. It looks more modern and fresh. I think it's a decent place to test things out. I don't get why people are pulling their hair out... I mean, who uses the web version anyways? The desktop versions have always been more functional... plus one doesn't need to rely on an internet connection. I think it's a great place to tinker around... plus there is a way to roll back to the current version. The beta version is just that... beta. We all understand that it is experimental. What tickles me is that people are posting multiple threads on what's missing from the beta version... even when they don't use those features on the web version. 

At least the current beta web version is sufficiently different to warrant a discussion AND worth tinkering around with now. It's a simplified work space that (some) may prefer. People have been complaining about the drab web/ desktop versions. This is a change in the right direction... and I don't think that is it even close to being rolled out. It's in the early stages. I think they're starting with the bare basics, and then will add on more functionality based on user gripes. 

I think one would be hard pressed to find all those people who've been using the web version (or even glanced at it) previous to this beta... and I think most of the ranting is premature. Patience is a virtue... especially in this fast-paced digital world. I don't for one minute think Evernote would roll out the current beta version without significantly revamping it. let's save the complaining for later. It's like signing up for a volunteer humanitarian program... only to complain about the environment and working conditions.

I mean, who uses the web version anyways? The desktop versions have always been more functional... plus one doesn't need to rely on an internet connection.

Obviously, a lot of people...? That seems like a really ill-informed thing to say. People who are always between devices and therefore need the sync and thus the internet connection, anyway. People with older or slower computers or minimal drive space left. People who have found the desktop version takes too long to load because they have far too many notebooks. People who simply prefer using a fully-functional web app when they're already online and in a browser versus downloading and wasting resources on a desktop program.

I've never found the desktop version to be more functional. In fact, I deleted it within a half-week of installing it, as it was slower and harder on my system while offering nothing more or less than the web version. Taking such an attitude toward the design and functionality of the web app, attempting to justify lessened functionality because there's a desktop version optional, completely ruins the point of even having a web app. For mobile devices, there's the iOS/Android app. The web version was meant for use on real computer systems. It was meant to be an alternative to the desktop version. It's there for people who may be borrowing computers or using it at work, in an environment where downloading the desktop version isn't an option.

What tickles me is that people are posting multiple threads on what's missing from the beta version... even when they don't use those features on the web version.

Says who? How would you know what they do or don't use? I would assume, even if they are reporting on missing elements they don't use, it's for the information of those who do use the features. After all, there were no release notes or warnings to go by when given the option to try the beta.

I think one would be hard pressed to find all those people who've been using the web version (or even glanced at it) previous to this beta...

What does that mean? How would they even know the web beta existed if not for having logged into the web app in the first place?

and I think most of the ranting is premature. Patience is a virtue... especially in this fast-paced digital world. I don't for one minute think Evernote would roll out the current beta version without significantly revamping it. let's save the complaining for later. It's like signing up for a volunteer humanitarian program... only to complain about the environment and working conditions.

Saving the complaining for later is exactly why so many programs etc. end up rolling out horrendously disapproved and inconvenient features. If those who have tried the beta sit back complacently in the vague hopes that things will get better, without voicing what they dislike or even hate, then the entire purpose of beta testing has been destroyed.

Your comparison is heavy-handed and intended to insult, it seems. Also, not at all similar. We were provided an option to test the beta layout with no indication what it would entail. That's like signing up for "a trip to a foreign country" and expecting France, only for it to turn out to be an impoverished third-world country-- if you insist upon using that comparison. Expressing discontent with the design direction is giving feedback. Expressing frustration in the complete redirection from functionality to aesthetic is giving feedback. Ranting because we've become frustrated by other sites in this day and age forcing the same design elements down our throats and we're upset to see Evernote go the same direction is far from illogical.

They changed something, put it in testing, and are getting feedback. Should those of us who dislike it just shut up and wait, then the only feedback they'll see is the positive and thus they'll not have an accurate depiction of who's unhappy or what we consider to be the negative aspects.

I'll have to disagree with Frank.dg above. I'm a heavy Evernote user with thousands of notes who uses the Web client, desktop client, and ios client on iPad and iPhone.

The web client has a critical feature that will always drive some users to it: the data is not stored on your local hard drive. If you are like me, and need to access your personal Evernote account through your work-supplied computer, you don't want that computer to download all your personal Evernote files. It's not your computer, and could be taken from you at any minute, or could become the subject of a court-ordered discovery and then searched thoroughly as part of that investigation. (I work in the legal field.)

So, I use a local-only Evernote desktop for my work files, but if I need to access my personal workflow, I need to use the web client.

I've seen several other comments here that mirror what I've described above, so I imagine there are a fair amount of us out there.

L.K. and Skells,

Yes... That was probably quite narrow-minded and ill-informed. I would do well to remember that there are a variety of users each with their own use cases. I might have sung a different tune if I had an older desktop or one with limited space that froze up or needed to access Evernote on a computer not my own... i.e. business computer, etc. 

No offense or mockery intended with the "volunteer program" illustration. The way I see it, this is simply a beta version... and I think it more prudent to suggest and discuss rather than rant about a beta version that is yet in it's infancy... a beta version that we opt in for... not a feature that has actually been pulled. I was vociferous when they pulled the public notebook feature, along with many other users. It came back real quick. I know that this forum is intended for specifically that... and I think it's more than fine to rant... in fact, one should... but, as I mentioned before, I think a heated attack is perhaps jumping the gun. It's only beta. I guess what I'm saying is that it may be more constructive in a beta testing scenario to suggest... and even gripe a little... as opposed to an outright and overly negative attack. 

In my experience, Evernote has listened to its users specifically when it comes to important/ significant features that have been pulled. Nobody wants a regress. Obviously the beta web app is barely functional for those who depend on it. The most obvious thing to me was not being able to search for a specific notebook... one has to scroll and hunt it down. Frustrating if I were stuck with that. But one can roll back to the current version, since you obviously rely on it. 

I will jump right into the thick of things with the web version users and get loud... if they rolled out this beta version as is. It is obviously not acceptable, nor practically functional. I just get the feeling that it is in its infancy. 

EDIT: found this post by a Linux user... holy moley. Now there's another use case that totally depends on the web client (I sympathize):

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/69024-beta-is-just-one-thing-rubbish/#entry307207

• Level 5*

... Obviously they will add more and more functionality. ..

This isn't so obvious to me and lately has not been the case with EN.  They have a bad habit of introducing new versions with less function than prior versions. 

This isn't so obvious to me and lately has not been the case with EN.  They have a bad habit of introducing new versions with less function than prior versions. 

I think it is obvious that they will add more functionality since staff have stated that they will add more functionality. 

That being said, I don't think we'll see a return to the same level that the old interface had, but thats exactly the point. The web interface will NOT be a desktop clone, and will not do everything the desktop does, and may do things the desktop can't

But yes, obviously they will add more functionality because they have said they will. Whether that "more functionality" is satisfying to you and your needs doesn't detract from the validity of what Frank says.  

Maybe obviously is not the right word for some. I assume, since this is a beta version under discussion. Without a doubt, the next web release will not be identical to what we now see in our browsers. Evernote staff themselves opened up a dialogue on the forums. They're not simply reacting to outcries. 

I use the Windows, iPhone and iPad clients. I follow every tidbit of news related to updates in all clients. I know that with the clients I am using, as well as Android and Macbook (I have an android for testing... and had a Macbook until recently... but I still follow recent updates, such as being able to resize images inline), there is increasingly more functionality over previous versions. There are some very minor things that have been pulled... for example, being able to surf the net through an embedded browser (including "cutting" to EN) within the iOS apps and being able to create a new note under a tag context (including the tag automatically). Also, I rather enjoyed the percentage indicator when previously syncing. I've found a way to live without it. Public notebooks disappeared briefly. There's more, but almost negligible

I'm just not seeing a decreased functionality, apart from the new beta web client. 

• Level 5*

I think it is obvious that they will add more functionality since staff have stated that they will add more functionality. 

That being said, I don't think we'll see a return to the same level that the old interface had, but thats exactly the point. The web interface will NOT be a desktop clone, and will not do everything the desktop does, and may do things the desktop can't

But yes, obviously they will add more functionality because they have said they will. Whether that "more functionality" is satisfying to you and your needs doesn't detract from the validity of what Frank says.  

Yes, they have said they are adding back some functions such as reminders, but when the web version is out of beta (I should have made that point clearer above) I'm speculating it will likely have less overall function than the current web client.  As long as the desktop clients don't follow suit then I'm personally unaffected.  I use the web client very little, but there are others out there that primarily use the web client and they will likely see a reduction in function. 

If EN wants to have a light weight web client, that's fine and I can see the need for something simple and straight forward but they should consider keeping their existing full function web client for those customers that have been relying on it.

Yes, they have said they are adding back some functions such as reminders, but when the web version is out of beta (I should have made that point clearer above) I'm speculating it will likely have less overall function than the current web client.  As long as the desktop clients don't follow suit then I'm personally unaffected.  I use the web client very little, but there are others out there that primarily use the web client and they will likely see a reduction in function. 

If EN wants to have a light weight web client, that's fine and I can see the need for something simple and straight forward but they should consider keeping their existing full function web client for those customers that have been relying on it.

Yes I think it is a given that it will not have all the functionality of the old web client or any desktop client, Evernote has been explicit about that. That being said it might have some features that are exclusive to the web client, though those may not be useful to those who have traditionally relied on the old client as a desktop replacement. 

While ideally users would indefinitely have the choice between web clients, I don't know whether Evernote would ever do that. That means maintaining TWO web clients which requires considerably more resources. This will definitely annoy all those linux users!

Short and sweet, the new web UI SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS.  I'm aghast, devastated, disappointed (and that's a major understatement).  Someone noted the new UI might be good for those who dabble in Evernote but that it's not very good for power users--exactly right!  Another person commented there's a lot of unused or dead space, something to that effect, without much information present on the page.  Yup.  There's no context--notes just float in space and take up way too much space.  I need to see my notebooks, shortcuts, notes, everything in one view.  I love the current UI.  Is Evernote changing it just for the sake of change?  Were people complaining?  I'll seriously have to reevaluate my use of Evernote if they force this new web UI on us.  And if they roll this same terrible design to the desktop, I'm gone.  I don't know what I'll replace it with but I'll find a way.  Google drive, Pocket, lots of other options that maybe I'll need to mix and match but this is a piece of *****.  At the very least, let us configure pages ourselves so I can set up a page like the current UI.  You're about to blow it, Evernote.

Short and sweet, the new web UI SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS.  I'm aghast, devastated, disappointed (and that's a major understatement).  Someone noted the new UI might be good for those who dabble in Evernote but that it's not very good for power users--exactly right!  Another person commented there's a lot of unused or dead space, something to that effect, without much information present on the page.  Yup.  There's no context--notes just float in space and take up way too much space.  I need to see my notebooks, shortcuts, notes, everything in one view.  I love the current UI.  Is Evernote changing it just for the sake of change?  Were people complaining?  I'll seriously have to reevaluate my use of Evernote if they force this new web UI on us.  And if they roll this same terrible design to the desktop, I'm gone.  I don't know what I'll replace it with but I'll find a way.  Google drive, Pocket, lots of other options that maybe I'll need to mix and match but this is a piece of *****.  At the very least, let us configure pages ourselves so I can set up a page like the current UI.  You're about to blow it, Evernote.

The desktop clients aren't an option for you? (e.g., you use linux, or a managed work computer)?

• Level 5*
... While ideally users would indefinitely have the choice between web clients, I don't know whether Evernote would ever do that. That means maintaining TWO web clients which requires considerably more resources...

I agree and doubt that EN will support both indefinitely either.  This circles back to my original point that when all said and done we will IMO likely end up with a web client with less function than we currently have.  It is this general trend that I find discouraging.  With each new release, instead of being excited about what new function may have been added I find myself instead checking to see what functions have been removed.  I no longer load betas when they first come out and instead wait for the dust to settle and see what others have reported first.

I totally agree. I love the UI. It is clean and easy to use. Please make the desktop version like this as well. Until then I'll use Fluid to make this my go to desktop alternative.

The more I try it, the less I like it.

I really really can't stand that when I open the web page, all I see is a big white empty page that by default is in the note creation view. 2 problems with it. First, I really don't like having no visual cues about what I'm looking at. Just a big sea of white. The page is practically blank, do I have to select something, is this a note? Where are the boundaries? What tools are available? Oh, just click around and you'll find where you input things...no I don't like that. Show me where the fields are, show me what's available. Make it available on one page view without having to hunt around.

But also, the default view being note creation is not useful to me. When I open up the web interface, most of the time I am looking for content, not creating it. I create with the Web Clipper, a scanner, and my phone's camera most often. I rarely just type a new note. It is most helpful if when I open the page, I see my most recent notes, and some navigational cues to help me find the one I'm looking for if it's not right there...like my notebook list, a search box. These things are good, stop hiding them away.

And when I do have a list of notes, there is an obstructing green highlight that covers the note info when I mouse over. It is way too harsh, way too opaque. It covers the thumbnail, and inverts the text. That is very jarring. Maybe not to people with younger eyes, but the bright reversal is doing something funny to my eyes. They don't adjust well to the quick changing of brightness and color.

I guess it's just me in here. ;) I hope some Evernote folks do take the time to read these.

I just listened to the new interview with Phil Libin on the latest episode of Triangulation with Leo LaPorte. http://twit.tv/show/triangulation/170

Always a very interesting guy. I like most of what he has to say.

But...

He made a statement in there that scared me for the direction of Evernote as evidenced by the Web Beta. He wants to "get rid of the metaphors." When it shows you margins, font sizes, or looks like a piece of paper, "that's wrong." He thinks that I'll use Evernote for writing more if that stuff is out of the way. It's exactly the opposite. I like to see the boundaries. I want to know where the line will wrap. I want to have my formatting options apparent to me. Tool bars are not evil, they are useful. I accidentally found font options when I highlighted some text. I was actually hunting around for where that was and gave up, only seeing it when I highlighted the text for a different reason. And you can't just select a font to type in, you have to type text in whatever font you're in, then select it and change it. An extra step.

It's funny that Evernote wants to be your second brain to help you remember stuff, but now they put out a product that requires me to remember where to find things. Icons have no rollover text to tell you what they are. When you're writing a new note, you have that drop down formatting icon hanging in space where there would be a margin, but it just looks like it's there with no reason.

I don't know, there's a balance between having a very defined and organized space, and a free-form free-for-all with no boundaries or sections. I think it's too far into the minimalist direction. I can see using the web interface less and less.

Here are a few thoughts that I jotted down as I used the web beta for the first time.

Summary points:

• As someone who typically avoided the web client and used the desktop and mobile apps exclusively, I personally see the web beta as an altogether different tool for interacting with EN.
  • Seen as a different tool, the web beta provides a different experience that I see myself (actually) using in different ways.
  • Since the U/I is so clean and open, inconsistencies are glaringly obvious. I'd say it could actually be even cleaner and more open.
  • Given the massive shift in focus of the web beta, I think this is a great initial effort at providing users with a new tool.

Incidentally, I sympathize with folks who see the web beta as a step backward, and I hope this interface does not spread to the desktop app(s) and wash away robust options I've come to find exceedingly useful.

So far I really love the new Evernote web beta.

It's fast, it's clean.

Here my thoughts:

• I trust that Reminders will be enabled soon.
  • enable highlights please (this is one of my most commonly used features - much more common than subscript or superscript or strikethrough or changing the font color, and one of the core uses why I use evernote.
  • Alphabetical only tags? I really hope you'll fix this!

I used to write longer articles in a separate text editor - now I write within Evernote, so no more copying & pasting from one window to another.

• Level 5*

What's Wrong with this Clean Writing Window?

Can some of you folks who really prefers a "clean" writing environment please explain to me what is wrong with the current (non-Beta) EN Web client, when you take advantage of the "Open Note in Window" option?

It looks very clean and uncluttered to me.  So, please, help me out.  What's wrong with this:

Screen Shot of Current EN Web app with Note in It's Own Window

EN-Web-Note-Window.gif

I'd have to weigh in against this new, much less functional, design. I LIKE being able to easily scan my list of notebooks and then also my list of notes within my selected notebook while seeing the full note I've selected. Makes it SO much easier to navigate than having to try to rememer which of those icons on the left side will open up a temporary list of things I might want to select from and, if I've got it wrong, guessing again to find a different icon or a different list. While, sometimes, computers are about making things look  pretty, utimately they should be about making things more easily accessible. The beta sacrifices pretty much most of Evernote's accessibility for one set of designer's ideas of what is pretty. If they don't allow us to keep the current web UI I might very well be looking for a replacement note app.

I would definitely leave Evernote if this design became prevalent across the PC, iPhone and iPad (my systems.) While I like the idea of improving the note editor - it needs some work - it will never become the selling point of Evernote for me. I am a novelist and a paralegal, so my Evernote usage is very text-heavy. However, both Microsoft Word and Apple Pages both have new, clean, minimal designs. Going out on a limb, Evernote is not going to replace Word for me, or even come close. The selling point of Evernote is its existing functionality; the ability to sort, store and search data. In particular, the paneled view makes this a possibility - the ability to see notebooks/tags in conjunction with notes. Lose that, and you add two or three steps to every action, and the critical ability to actually view your notes the way you've laid them out.

Can some of you folks who really prefers a "clean" writing environment please explain to me what is wrong with the current (non-Beta) EN Web client, when you take advantage of the "Open Note in Window" option?

It looks very clean and uncluttered to me.  So, please, help me out.  What's wrong with this:

EN-Web-Note-Window.gif

Because I don't really use EN to WRITE things! If I want to write things I use Word. I use EN to jot down short ideas or, much more often, to clip information from the  internet and then, MOST important, to FIND stuff I've jotted down or clipped! Just having a big white screen that defaults to create a note is almost completely useless to me. I need to see information and I need to see it in the context (notebook and collections of notebooks) in which I created it. The current beta makes most of what I like about EN and use in EN much, much more difficult. If this becomes the default I will certainly be finding something else to manage my information.

Good

• Much nicer to look at; it just feels more modern and 'now'
  • Feels faster and smoother
  • Much clearer view of the notes
  • Writing interface is much more welcoming
  • Very much like the floating, contextual text-formatting controls

Most of this says nothing at all about the functionality of EN. It "feels" more modern, if "feels" faster and smoother, the view is "much clearer." Ok. Great. But if all it does is "feel" better that doesn't make it better. Windows 8 "feels" "modern and now" and it's a complete disaster for those who actually need to get work done. I'm afraid EN is swallowing the "modern" kool-aid and not learning very well from how desperately Mickeysoft is now trying to roll back its Windows 8 folly.

• I already commented on the excessive amount of whitespace, which makes the current beta much less useful than the old version. 
  • While I realize that there are a lot of fat-fingered people out there that need to be catered to, can we also get information density and user interfaces for normal people or those working with a mouse. Some web interfaces have options like that.

• OK, some people like more white space. Is there any particular reason, though, why a "black" (default) font in my OWN note (in RGB this was 0,0,0) seems to have gone to "gray" (I checked some of my notes, and the font color has gone to RGB 55,55,55 or so), which seems to run counter to the goal of improved readability. It's not only whitespace, it's also whitefont.

• In  another forum thread, I complained about "Evernote Clearly", and the impossibility of removing  the "Clearly" format, which also resulted in excessive whitespace. "Simplify format" would not help. I see now that the trend seems now to be addressed not by providing a capability to remove the "Clearly" format, but by forcing it on all notes.

• I'm not commenting on missing functionality vs the old version, which seems, at least for me, in-line PDF display.
  • One functionality, which is missing in the old web client, and also in the new, is the useful highlighting. I use Evernote more to collect and review information than to write. Highlighting is, for me at least, so useful that I might be tempted to .... let's not go there.

• The new version runs the flag of "re-engineering". Sounds like "retour". Can engineers get back to "engineering" and progress?
  • Evernote seems to be the latest company dabbling in re-engineering. Isn't that late and getting stale. After Evernote got late into the trend of skeyomorphic interfaces, providing a horrible iOS version that compensated for lateness by being overdone, and which was since removed, are they now trying to get late into the trend of flat user interfaces, overdoing these?

OK, so my initial reaction earlier in this thread was positive re: the new web UI. In the days since, after trying to use it, my opinion has changed. Not going to point out missing features as that's already been done ad nauseum. Hopefully those will be added as promised. Bottom line for me: managing, accessing, modifying, tagging, searching, viewing, etc. my business and personal library of 11K notes is more important to me than a simple interface and ease of creating a note. In its current state, the new web UI is of very little use to me - it makes what I need to do harder and in certain cases impossible.

On a very positive side, the new web interface seems to be better than the old one to navigate on touch screens, such as the Microsoft Surface.

The added functionality would also be good for the desktop version, since there it is hard to scroll through notes on a touchscreen when reading.

Like a lot of these comments I need to see the functionality of the web client able to deliver the same functionality of the other installable applications.   I use a variety of saved searches and I can't find how to access these from the BETA client.  So it would be good to see some sort of commitment from EN on the level of functionality that will be delivered and the consistency of the user experience across operating systems.  It's the design and development principles for this version that I am interested in hearing about - as the BETA develops will the missing functionality be added in or will the web client always be the "poor cousin"?  I hope not as I'm working increasingly on-line without installing client software as I use a variety of different computers and form factors - not all the computers are mine.

Having said that, I really like the direction the interface is going with a reduction in the number of distractions on a screen so that I can focus on the thing I am doing.  I like the way the UI is going to more "just in time" (JIT) with context sensitive menus from the "just in case" model where all the objects you might need are shown on the screen and infrequently used.  I'm looking forward to seeing how EN develop this interface further - minimal distractions (which does aid concentration) with very easy JIT access to other objects or actions.

• Level 5

There is indeed nothing wrong with it. If you want to concentrate on a single note while working on it you can use this window and you don't need a new fancy design. This is I think what you want to say.

However, for me this feature of opening notes in separate windows has a completely different meaning. Quite often I need to work on a number of interrelated notes and I like to have them open side by side. I am using two monitors and have a lot of space available. It is much easier than to create a search that finds all the related notes and always switch between them.

And I am using one note that is the top of my favourites list and gets opened every morning in a separate window and contains the tasks for the day.

You see, without the feature of opening notes in separate windows my way of working would be influenced quite a bit.

• Level 5*

@Stuher:  I agree -- opening Notes in separate windows has many benefits!

There is indeed nothing wrong with it. If you want to concentrate on a single note while working on it you can use this window and you don't need a new fancy design. This is I think what you want to say.

I think you nailed it!   :D

The new Web based interface, currently in Beta testing, is horrible. Horrendous. Terrible. It discards essential functionality, for example, it removes (or hides very well) the ability to link text to an URL. Now, in the 21st century, a note-taking service which does not allow linking text to an URL is useless. Seriously, notetaking in the 21st century without links? I t   a l s o   w a s t e s   s p a c e. Evernote is known for its utilitarian aesthetic, where the emphasis is put on content; the new Web interface sacrifices content in favour of oceans of white space.

And the fonts! The fonts! They are gray, not black. They are some designer's idea of "good", not the plain generic sans-serif. Why?

Please Evernote, reconsider your design goals, or make them explicit and allow the users to choose between industrial functionality and postindustrial beauty. Allow the users to choose between a full-feature Web interface, and a reduced-functionality interface for use on low-end mobile devices. (But please, don't force the reduced-functionality interface when you detect a mobile browser; some of us do use 10 inch tablets, thank you.)

I don't like the new web beta. I tried it for a week or so, finally felt so frustrated trying to get around that I switched back to the old version. I agree, the old version may seem a little cluttered, but the new is really hard to navigate efficiently.

I mean, who uses the web version anyways? The desktop versions have always been more functional... plus one doesn't need to rely on an internet connection. 

Me, for starters. I would really like EN to work properly on my Chromebook. Including offline support. The new Android app is not my cup of tea (for now). And the beta is still too limited (and buggy) to trust it with my external brain.

What I would really love is a full featured modern web app that has offline support (or, pracitically, a native Chrome app).

Quick feed back on the new UI.

I like new the UI.

I'm certainly missing features that I use, especially reminders, but I can live without them for a while because I'm a premium user who uses the windows desktop and the Android client.

I only use the Web UI when I'm at work, where I can't install the Windows client.

I had many problems with the old UI under the Chrome browser and had opened a number of tickets.

Me, for starters. I would really like EN to work properly on my Chromebook. Including offline support. 

Me too. Chromebook usage is very important. If this becomes the only web interface, I'm in trouble.

Not used it enough for a full review but mostly I like. When navigating the new interface I am struck by the amount of 'empty' space there seems to be, not sure if this is a 'helps you to focus' plan or not but not sure I'm a fan. Other than that I'm very pleased that Evernote is improving this as it certainly was the worst part of the Evernote experience.

Here we go again.  I don't like the web beta.  It follows the recent industry trend toward dumbing down user interfaces and removal of functionality, resulting in less user control and flexibility, and more cynically, more manipulation of common peasant trash by providers toward desired market results.  If you want morons, Demsheviks, and graduates of common-core schools to be able to use such an interface that's fine, but please at least give the rest of us the option to retain the non-moron GUI version.  You've got a good thing going, please try not to ***** it up for us, or we might have to find another product to use.

It has a great look and simplicity for distraction-free editing.

However, I miss the ease of use of managing collections of notes, tags and folders in the classic interfact. Would be cool to have a button or key combination to quickly switch between the old and new modes.  

Also, inline viewing of pdfs is very useful, and hopefully will come to the new web client.

• Level 5*

I don't like the new web beta. I tried it for a week or so, finally felt so frustrated trying to get around that I switched back to the old version. I agree, the old version may seem a little cluttered, but the new is really hard to navigate efficiently.

I also wonder about the "distraction" issue.  The Evernote UI designers, and some users, state that they need a very clean, simple piece of electronic paper in order to not be distracted.  Sorry, but this does not hold water for me.

In any office there are many, many distractions always going on around you.  Few people have private offices any more, so if one is to get their work done, they must learn to FOCUS.  Even the objects on/around your desk/hutch/workstation offer far greater distractions than a few icons on your computer screen.  And how about all the people around you talking?

And let's look at the computer screen.  The trend is for computer monitors to get larger and larger, which getting cheaper.  The result, lots of users have monitors ≥ 21-in.  So not only do a lot of users have Evernote on their monitor, they have other apps, like email, chat windows, etc.  So there are LOTS of distractions right there on your computer screen.

If a few tools/icons around your writing space seriously distract you, then I suggest you are mostly distracted by all the other things.

Focus is a skill we all must learn to develop in order to get things done in a very, very busy world.

• Level 5*

Sure. Focusing is important. But, on Evernote's end, I think they need to work on displaying information density in an easily digestible form. That is an art that is difficult to master, but shows true skill. Anyone can "simplify" by getting rid of features and options, But, that is a rather inelegant solution.

See Edward Tufte for more:

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/

I know the Microsoft ribbon has received a lot of derision, even from me, probably because we like the old way of using the app that we originally learned. But, look how much it packs into such a tiny and relatively easy to navigate space.

Another example would be video games that rely on a deep set of options and indicators accessible from a relatively clean interface. You could pick any number of them, but I was always impressed by Baldur's Gate.

Anyhow, I organize my workspace in a way tailored to my needs, and I don't suffer from distractions -- I can display my research notes, my dictionaries, my sources, and so forth on the same screen and move seamlessly from one to the next. That's not "simple," but it is efficient. AsI always say, customizability is a better answer than simplicity, because a medical doctor or lawyer shouldn't have to use the same interface as an elementary-school child, especially now that it is so stripped down.

• Level 5*

Sure. Focusing is important. But, on Evernote's end, I think they need to work on displaying information density in an easily digestible form. That is an art that is difficult to master, but shows true skill. Anyone can "simplify" by getting rid of features and options, But, that is a rather inelegant solution.

See Edward Tufte for more:

http://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/

I know the Microsoft ribbon has received a lot of derision, even from me, probably because we like the old way of using the app that we originally learned. But, look how much it packs into such a tiny and relatively easy to navigate space.

Another example would be video games that rely on a deep set of options and indicators accessible from a relatively clean interface. You could pick any number of them, but I was always impressed by Baldur's Gate.

Anyhow, I organize my workspace in a way tailored to my needs, and I don't suffer from distractions -- I can display my research notes, my dictionaries, my sources, and so forth on the same screen and move seamlessly from one to the next. That's not "simple," but it is efficient. AsI always say, customizability is a better answer than simplicity, because a medical doctor or lawyer shouldn't have to use the same interface as an elementary-school child, especially now that it is so stripped down.

I completely agree with you, GM.

My point about focusing was that if one learns, knows how to focus, then they should not really need such a simple UI for writing.

Translate that to mean there is no real need for all this effort on Evernote's part to provide a new, very clean, minimal UI for writing.

In fact, I consider it a big waste of resources.

Some seem to think the current (non-beta) EN Web UI is "cluttered".  I'm sure it could be fine tuned to give a better appearance, more pleasing to the eye, while still keeping the information density, or maybe even increasing it.

In an earlier post I made the point that if the user simply opens the EN Web Note in it's own window, it already provides a very streamlined UI.  

So what's the need for a complete re-write of the EN Web client???

Foremost thanks to many fine improvements in beta! I've 2 remarks:

Collapsed menus

The collapsed sub-menu for note editing is worst than the static one. If the collapsion deosn't save important space, I suggest keep the menu expanded.

Balloon help

What will happened if I'll click this button? On the desktop app, you can make users happy by adding a balloon help which displays 1-2 seconds after moving the mouse above the button.

Best regards, Martin.

I think the current Evernote Web client is almost perfect in it's current state. This kind of layout is what attracted me to Evernote in the first place! Also, not sure if anyone noticed but there is a small gray arrow at the bottom in the second column (note snippet view) and clicking on this hides the the first column (notebooks and tags view) thus no more distracting notebooks/tags if anyone wishes to hide it. So how much more distraction free do you want to make it without sacrificing functionality?

I think all Evernote need to do is improve the appearance a bit and make it more smoother and iron out some issues (for example, tags not updating without refreshing). Maybe take a page out of Google's book on their online apps and how smooth it is to work on them. Evernote you already have a winner. If it is more users you trying to attract then I think a different approach is needed not a complete transformation!

Evernote if it ain't broke then don't fix it!

I love the look, it is quite elegant an minimalist, but in reality it is more difficult to use, there are many tools missing (alarms to name one very important), and there is a lot of unused space, I don't like that it starts with a new note instead of showing me my latest notes.

Although it is prettier, I think the old one is a real working tool.

What a useless joke the new web beta is.  This is what happens when the design lunatics get in charge.  Using nonsense terms like "minimize distractions".  I wonder how long it will be before EN utterly destroys the desktop clients.  Having to engage in more clicks does not "minimizes distractions".  Not being able to see my notebooks and tags does not "minimize distractions", it increases them.  This represents the complete and utter triumph of function over form, another dumbing down of a product to the lowest common denominator.

I sure hope all the companies like Microsoft and Gmail and Apple do this with email clients.  It really bothers me seeing all those naughty things like inbox and sent items on the side.  How will I ever focus with all those distractions?

The funny thing is there are legitimate ways to "minimize distractions" without totally ***** over all your power users, and many software apps use them.  Just give your users a simple way to hide and/or collapse UI elements.  Heck, even make it the default if you want, as long as power users can turn them back on no harm done.

Yup, and all these years later, using Office every day, I still hate the ribbon and wish for the old menu. I still struggle to find things that I use semi frequently, and it takes me more clicks to get there.

Just give your users a simple way to hide and/or collapse UI elements.  Heck, even make it the default if you want, as long as power users can turn them back on no harm done.

That would be nice. Like in Photoshop. The interface has tools all over it. But sometimes you do want to see just the image you're working on. Pressing the Tab key toggles all the toolbars and application chrome on and off.

• Level 5*

Yup, and all these years later, using Office every day, I still hate the ribbon and wish for the old menu. I still struggle to find things that I use semi frequently, and it takes me more clicks to get there.

Jeff, I tend to agree with you:  I didn't like the MS ribbon when it came out, and I don't prefer it today.

Having said that, at least Microsoft gives you the OPTION to modify the shortcut bar.  I make use of this extensively, and as a result I am able to tolerate, and even take advantage of, the new MS UI.

This is where Evernote falls short.  I don't mind if they, by default, present a very minimal UI, as long as they allow me to customize it, like Micosoft, to include the tools in the toolbar that are important to me.

For some reason, Evernote seems to be adverse to providing the User with options.

For some reason, Evernote seems to be adverse to providing the User with options.

I am not saying this just to rant, this industry is having a fair number of incompetent User Experience people driving software UI design who have the "religion" and they are on a mission to "minimize distractions" and "simplify".  These people are akin to interior designers that don't think you should ever see a TV in the room, even if the purpose of the room is for it to be a media room.  They know what's best for you and their artistic sensibilities are not going to be compromised for tasteless barbarians, they are creating something that is "beautiful" and "simple", you don't need those damn options!

I am not saying this just to rant, this industry is having a fair number of incompetent User Experience people driving software UI design who have the "religion" and they are on a mission to "minimize distractions" and "simplify".  These people are akin to interior designers that don't think you should ever see a TV in the room, even if the purpose of the room is for it to be a media room.  They know what's best for you and their artistic sensibilities are not going to be compromised for tasteless barbarians, they are creating something that is "beautiful" and "simple", you don't need those damn options!

I know what you mean. I don't like clutter either, but there is a middle ground between clean for clean's sake, and busy with distractions.

Look how clean and simple this room is. :D 

padded-1-1211.jpg

I know what you mean. I don't like clutter either, but there is a middle ground between clean for clean's sake, and busy with distractions.

padded-1-1211.jpg

This triggered memory of the late Steve Jobs (may he RIP) and if I remember correctly he wanted everything to be white so to minimise distractions. I think in his book he mentions his house rooms were painted all white so to stimulate clear thinking!

• Level 5*

I'm sorry, but that room is way too distracting!   All those lines drawing my attention away from . . ., well, the air!   :D

I strongly dislike the new layout.

(1) I want to see all my notebooks at all times [unless the stack is collapsed] along with tags. Sure I have a lot of both but it's extremely easy to scroll to see things. Let people collapse if they want but give the choice.

(2) When I change the notebook at the top of a note, I want my notebooks to appear in the order they are in the nested list NOT alphabetic. The content of stacks are interspersed throughout the other notebooks and I can't find anything.

(3) There is way too much wasted space. Allow me the option to see all the columns I want to see and those who like the minimalistic approach to keep it.

I am one who hates to click and click and click for things. With this new layout I'm constantly clicking and it reduces my productivity. At least give the option of permanently keeping the old layout.

I just used the extension in Chrome to clip a recipe.

I opened it in the web interface to try and edit something, and became INCREDIBLY frustrated. The formatting is not right, and I'm hunting all over looking for a way to simplify formatting, and I can't find it anywhere. Worse than that, the article is in a 2 column format, and is wide enough that it's getting cut off at the right side, But you can't really tell that's the issue, because you can't tell where the page margin is, it just ends in white space leaving a no-man's land for the formatting tools to live in.

You can't even tell that the note is wider than the visible pane, because, get this...there is no horizontal scroll bar to give you an indication that you can scroll left and right to see the rest of the content!

Wait...no, there is a horizontal scroll bar, but you have to scroll vertically down to the end of the note to see it along the bottom. It is only visible down there, it's not fixed to the frame! Insane! THAT is some frustrating UI right there.

I would like just to comment on new beta web UI. I think it is terrible. Totally counterproductive. You have no immediate overview on notebook tree, notes in that notebook or anything at all. When you open one note you do not see where this note is in your notebooks structure. For every insight on this you need few extra mouse clicks. Catastrophic. As you turn us back in productivity for 10 years.

Other wise I am one of your first user for cca 10 years.

I hope you will reconsider your new web UI.

I just wanted to weigh in that without some better interfaces for tags/notebooks and contextual search I can not find any use for the new web version. I realize that the search still allows for an advanced search string for context search, but I have 300+ tags and thus don't have them all memorized.

I'm sure these things are coming and once they get here along with some other minor tweak I'm sure EN will have even more happy users.

That being said, I think the update is awesome and I really apprecaite the investment in upgrading it.

It's obvious that the new Beta is lacking a lot of things.

But I think it's reasonable to assume that those things will come, and that we will be duly notified in this forum. 

In principle, I like this new Beta a lot.

I prepare class notes for teaching on Evernote, which I then project on screen in the classroom.

I really appreciate the white space and the lack of distraction.

And the notes look beautiful on screen.

:)

I prepare class notes for teaching on Evernote, which I then project on screen in the classroom.

I really appreciate the white space and the lack of distraction.

And the notes look beautiful on screen.

:)

Well, white space for Presentation mode is appropriate, just not for searching, browsing and editing notes. I need more out of that interface.

Archived