Evernote 10.79.2 windows - announced new "slash" command not working? 

9 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I upgraded and had exactly the same issue.  Then I quit Evernote and restarted it and everything worked...

Tried to restart, log out and in, ... it still doesn't work 😕

• Level 5*

Maybe try a standard uninstall,  just to take out the  application and then reinstall again?  It's weird that it should be different...

Logging out and in again has been working for a few. Could be a slight delay in everyone being switched on.

Are you Mac as everyone I've spoken to who's needed a log out/in has been.

10 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Mac user here and a logout and log back in worked for me.  Just exiting and restarting had no effect.

Yes, a cold windows restart did the trick for me

• Level 5*

Wow and I just updated my Windows 10 laptop - immediate success.  No need for restarts - the installer closed the app / updated itself and here I am with '/' commands... 

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, janndk said:

Removed and reinstalled Evernote. Still not working. 

I think it is pretty clear by now that Evernote doesn't like you 🙃.

I know you are aware of this, but to double check, did you uninstall with Revo?

• Haha 2
Just now, ferol said:

maybe wait?

A nice evening glass of something like I'm having and tomorrow you'll be able to /

• Like 1

You have to write a special table and then they will deliver the functions also to the previous unsupported version  🤣

But it was bullshit in 10.78.2... after reinstallation to 10.79.2  it's definitely better...

It is extremely annoying for me to always have gray text indicating that I must press "/" to insert an element.

Every time I see the slash message I say "please remove that"

It should only appear once when the note is blank

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, carlosgm said:

It is extremely annoying for me to always have gray text indicating that I must press "/" to insert an element.

Exactly, it's very disturbing
It disturbed me when I tried Notion

• Like 3
hace 8 minutos, ferol dijo:

Exactly, it's very disturbing
It disturbed me when I tried Notion

When they released the slash feature I thought it would be nice and they would just add a shortcut, but now I have a hindrance that distracts me when writing my notes.

It would be great to have a parameter in the configuration to make this 💩 go away

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, carlosgm said:

When they released the slash feature I thought it would be nice and they would just add a shortcut, but now I have a hindrance that distracts me when writing my notes

Agreed, I was waiting for it and looking forward to it.. but this way it's bad... I'd rather go to + as before, if I need something from there, than to have this in my sight all the time

I think this is going to piss off a lot of people...  In addition to programmers..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure they'll expand it, but --yeah-- most of those slash commands can be accessed by keyboard shortcut or markdown snippet syntax shortcut.

Slash commands are cool and I know this is just the first iteration and I'm sure they'll improve on it with feedback.

And my feedback is that it's cool, but the "Press "/" to insert an element" is pretty jarring to see so much. I bet (and hope!) we'll see it tweaked.

• Like 5
  • Level 5

I've got it in the Web client, not the desktop, both v. 10.79.2 (I just manually updated the desktop, the Web got it earlier). The / list is exactly the same as the blue + list. I'm glad finally to have a faster way to add an attachment (or at least a way that feels faster), which is the main thing I use + for, but on the whole a bit "meh." (Does anyone say "meh" anymore?)

6 hours ago, janndk said:

Tried to restart, log out and in, ... it still doesn't work 😕

It did not work for me on updating.  Logged out and back in now working.

I tried to disable the annoying slash notice in notion but there is no way to do it.

If they copied the Notion feature, I hope that the people at Evernote don't go down that same path and offer us an alternative to have a clean note to write.

It's really annoying and I wish I could go back to the version where my notes were clean and I wrote without distractions. I can't imagine, for example, a Microsoft Word with this intrusive and annoying message.

• Like 2

The new "slash-command" seems to be working today. Good 👍

But text telling about it in every new line is annoying and disturbing 👎

en-image-slash.png.06b4927f6d6726305b461d449d48349a.png

11 minutes ago, janndk said:

The new "slash-command" seems to be working today. Good 👍

But text telling about it in every new line is annoying and disturbing 👎

en-image-slash.png.06b4927f6d6726305b461d449d48349a.png

If you are on Twitter  (x.com)  come on write here something:
.... Join me on Twitter, let us be heard...

• Like 3

@janndk Can ju change your first post title from:

"Evernote 10.79.2 windows - announced new "slash" command not working? "

For example to: 

"New / "slash" command - experience of use."

Or something more concise like that? So that people come here and don't start new posts on this feature..

• Like 1

...and, like every new function in Evernote, this one is also buggy and untested. The menu that opens is too big for the screen 😒

en20240307_081915.thumb.jpg.e3a638da574839d6e610798a0165d316.jpg

2 minutes ago, janndk said:

...a ako každá nová funkcia v Evernote, aj táto je chybná a netestovaná. Ponuka, ktorá sa otvorí, je príliš veľká na obrazovku  😒

you can start write after /

test this:

/tab   - tabel

or

/ko...  Kodeblok

And you don't even need to click the mouse.. just hit enter after a quick selection

• Like 1

Vlad Campus just posted an inverview with Federico on Vlad's YouTube channel.  They talked specifically about the / command as Federico's approach to introducing new features.  It's worth a viewing.

Vinnie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, VincentC said:

Vlad Campus just posted an inverview with Federico on Vlad's YouTube channel.  They talked specifically about the / command as Federico's approach to introducing new features.  It's worth a viewing.

Vinnie

I saw that... pretty cool interview.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
10 hours ago, janndk said:

...and, like every new function in Evernote, this one is also buggy and untested. The menu that opens is too big for the screen 😒

I can't make that happen without dragging the top of the window down quite a bit. Can you say anything about the device, OS, and display? (I still only have it in the Web version.)

In Notion, it's understandable to have the "slash /" message permanently because that's how the app was designed from the beginning. In the case of evernote we have +10 years with a clean note and from one day to the next they destroy it.

A parameter to hide the "slash /" message would really be great.

• Like 4

Kind of reminds me of the "AI Note Cleanup". They really wanted to showcase that so it took up prime real estate on the toolbar even though (I suspect) the high majority of users didn't use it. Many of us griped about it in the comments (and probably some submitted feedback). Now we see that functionality relegated to a spot that makes more sense -- at least to me.

The way that they have the slash command hint text now -- there is absolutely NO WAY you are not going to know about it. So from that standpoint, it's kind of genius. 

Yeah - a setting to hide it or something would be fantastic.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Kind of reminds me of the "AI Note Cleanup". They really wanted to showcase that so it took up prime real estate on the toolbar even though (I suspect) the high majority of users didn't use it. Many of us griped about it in the comments (and probably some submitted feedback). Now we see that functionality relegated to a spot that makes more sense -- at least to me.

The way that they have the slash command hint text now -- there is absolutely NO WAY you are not going to know about it. So from that standpoint, it's kind of genius. 

Yeah - a setting to hide it or something would be fantastic.

... or maybe there should be an off button next to the text and an option "do not show next time" when turning it off

I also thought that this way everyone would know... but let it be temporary...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I can't make that happen without dragging the top of the window down quite a bit. Can you say anything about the device, OS, and display? (I still only have it in the Web version.)

EN Windows. Default app window size. 

hace 5 minutos, ferol dijo:

... or maybe there should be an off button next to the text and an option "do not show next time" when turning it off

I also thought that this way everyone would know... but let it be temporary...

That's a good idea, I think there are many alternatives to make us happy.

• Like 1
Em 06/03/2024 at 18:41, carlosgm disse:

Every time I see the slash message I say "please remove that"

You complain about small things! This gray text appears the same way in Notion. As time goes by we will get used to it. I'm happy with this new feature.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cristiano478 said:

You complain about small things! This gray text appears the same way in Notion. As time goes by we will get used to it. I'm happy with this new feature.

That was one of the reasons I uninstalled Notion... it literally pissed me off that he kept telling me what to do...

Do you know what would happen if Microsoft put this in Word? All the women would go crazy...

Remember, it was designed by programmers and all the programmers are excited... But Evernote is not designed only for programmers.. but for ordinary people who don't even use CTRL+S in Windows...

Little things decide, people are not rational but emotional...... 

To me, it's on the same level of bullshit as me saying this:

image.png.c84304cbca86f65fb870cb19aeced350.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Cristiano478 dijo:

among other things, that's why I'm not a notion user.
I'm also happy with the new feature, it's just a matter of tweaking it.

• Like 1
hace 40 minutos, ferol dijo:

That was one of the reasons I uninstalled Notion... it literally pissed me off that he kept telling me what to do...

Do you know what would happen if Microsoft put this in Word? All the women would go crazy...

Remember, it was designed by programmers and all the programmers are excited... But Evernote is not designed only for programmers.. but for ordinary people who don't even use CTRL+S in Windows...

Little things decide, people are not rational but emotional...... 

You were missing an item that says "press any key to start typing..."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
hace 4 horas, ferol dijo:

I agree with the comment

I don't think it would be viable in Microsoft Word since users are used to writing on a blank sheet of paper and you can't change things from one day to the next. I think the same thing happens in evernote

• Like 3
  • Level 5

I didn't get this in the Windows desktop app. But, following advice, I quite Evernote and restarted, and there it is. I'm a little curious to see how I respond to it. I only need to do any of the actions on that / menu fairly uncommonly, apart from adding a note link, which I do by habit with Ctrl+Alt+K. I will try to see if the ever-present / nag is something I can train myself to ignore, to emotionally detach from. Maybe it will be a good exercise for personal growth! 😀

2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Nedostal som to v počítačovej aplikácii Windows. Ale po radu som celkom Evernote a reštartoval, a je to tu. Som trochu zvedavý, ako na to zareagujem. Pomerne nezvyčajne potrebujem vykonať niektorú z akcií v tomto / menu, okrem pridania odkazu na poznámku, ktorý zvyknem robiť pomocou Ctrl+Alt+K. Pokúsim sa zistiť, či je vždy prítomná/netrpezlivosť niečo, čo sa môžem naučiť ignorovať, emocionálne sa od nej odpútať. Možno to bude dobré cvičenie pre osobný rast! 😀

For personal growth, just throw all the chocolate out of the pantry and don't buy new... but I don't really need this for personal growth...😉

• Like 1
hace 2 horas, Dave-in-Decatur dijo:

I didn't get this in the Windows desktop app. But, following advice, I quite Evernote and restarted, and there it is. I'm a little curious to see how I respond to it. I only need to do any of the actions on that / menu fairly uncommonly, apart from adding a note link, which I do by habit with Ctrl+Alt+K. I will try to see if the ever-present / nag is something I can train myself to ignore, to emotionally detach from. Maybe it will be a good exercise for personal growth! 😀

I don't need to be reminded in every paragraph that with slash I insert an element, it really is an emotional challenge to ignore the message and stay productive

• Like 2
  • Level 5
9 hours ago, ferol said:

I may be mistaken, but I only see boys going nuts here over a nuisance …

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Let's see... it is a gradual release of the function..

Globally, I would argue that women don't go to technical forums and give feedback to developers. But that doesn't mean they don't mind some things..

• Like 1
hace 5 horas, PinkElephant dijo:

It's true, I'm trying to adapt but I'm starting to going nuts

I finally got the / in the windows client and tbh, it really doesn't bug me :) I think over time you will just ignore it, change is hard but I'm willing to adapt a bit.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Kheldar321 said:

I finally got the / in the windows client and tbh, it really doesn't bug me :) I think over time you will just ignore it, change is hard but I'm willing to adapt a bit.

I have no problem with the changes, I am adapting to v.10..

But this really has no justification for the function description to be there all the time.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, ferol said:

I have no problem with the changes, I am adapting to v.10..

But this really has no justification for the function description to be there all the time.

I get it, but you would be considered a power user. I think the majority of the users, who are not as technical, would like it. It benefits the more casual user, which is the larger portion of the user base. 

44 minutes ago, Kheldar321 said:

I get it, but you would be considered a power user. I think the majority of the users, who are not as technical, would like it. It benefits the more casual user, which is the larger portion of the user base. 

But let it be possible to turn it off... what is incomprehensible about this request?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ferol said:

On the next update...

if (user === @ferol) {
  showFiveSuggestionSpecialFeature();
}

Just for you. 😃

• Haha 2
  • Level 5

I'm finding it actually way worse than just the prompt always appearing. Every time I type a slash, the menu pops up--and proceeds to narrow down options as I type letters! To see this in action type: either/or. Only after I type a punctuation mark or space does the 🤬 thing go away. Oops, not working on my personal growth there.

On 3/8/2024 at 9:58 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'm finding it actually way worse than just the prompt always appearing. Every time I type a slash, the menu pops up--and proceeds to narrow down options as I type letters! To see this in action type: either/or. Only after I type a punctuation mark or space does the 🤬 thing go away. Oops, not working on my personal growth there.

Not sure where I developed the habit, but I always place a space before and after using the slash e.g. "either / or." I guess that habit will serve me well with this change! I can see how it'd be annoying for people who don't use spaces, however.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

It seems a space behind can save you the day. That’s always the problem with 1-key-keyboard shortcuts, especially those that use a quite common key.

If it would at least be ctrl/cmd-<slash> .

• Like 2
On 3/6/2024 at 10:57 PM, ferol said:

Agreed, I was waiting for it and looking forward to it.. but this way it's bad... I'd rather go to + as before, if I need something from there, than to have this in my sight all the time

I think this is going to piss off a lot of people...  In addition to programmers..

Very agressive from Evernote to promote a new feature this way. Every line now has a grey slash... 

1 hour ago, Roy van de Graaf dijo:

Very agressive from Evernote to promote a new feature this way. Every line now has a grey slash... 

I think that with this feature they are trying to attract Notion users.

That's fine, but they also need to take care of the loyal users they still have left...

With such intrusive changes they should offer the possibility of deactivating the message.

Logged my complaint. That stupid line is like having a bratty little kid tugging on your pant leg all the time trying to get your attention. "Lookit me, Pa! Press / to insert an element! I want ice cream!" An irksome distraction with every new paragraph.

• Like 1
On 3/8/2024 at 12:58 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I'm finding it actually way worse than just the prompt always appearing. Every time I type a slash, the menu pops up--and proceeds to narrow down options as I type letters! 

haven't tried it in EN, but in Notion if you hit esc the menu disappears and you keep just the slash.

1 minute ago, eugenes said:

haven't tried it in EN, but in Notion if you hit esc the menu disappears and you keep just the slash.

Huh. It ALMOST works in Evernote. It'll disappear, all right, but as soon as you move your cursor, the wretched line is back.

• Level 5
6 minutes ago, eugenes said:

In Evernote, at least for me, Esc "escapes" the editing function altogether and leaves you in some kind of limbo where no keyboard input does anything.

• Sad 1

I installed latest version yesterday, I still don’t have / commands available on my windows computer. No idea why, frustrating that advertised features are not actually available. It feels sometimes like when new features roll out you got to jump through hoops to get them. 

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Esc "escapes" the editing function altogether and leaves you in some kind of limbo

Hmmn.  The note has a blue box around it,  but I can confirm this...

2 hours ago, WilliamL said:

I installed latest version yesterday

I have 10.79.3 on my desktop with '/' active.  I have the same version,  just reinstalled,  on my Windows 10 laptop;  no '/' command...  weird.  Maybe it's a housekeeping thing - needs time or a restart to activate?  On desktop now - will contact Support if the lappy is still mute when I get home.

13 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

In Evernote, at least for me, Esc "escapes" the editing function altogether and leaves you in some kind of limbo where no keyboard input does anything.

I now see that Notion is smart enough not to pop up the menu when you type http:// or https:// 
if EN wants to emulate this, they should make it ease to use (and offer disabling it for those who want their EN note taking to continue undisturbed as they are used to)

• Like 2
hace 37 minutos, eugenes dijo:

I now see that Notion is smart enough not to pop up the menu when you type http:// or https:// 
if EN wants to emulate this, they should make it ease to use (and offer disabling it for those who want their EN note taking to continue undisturbed as they are used to)

I'm starting to get used to reading "it will be a gradual development." It seems that they urgently need to release new features even if they are incomplete or unstable.

Let's hope they listen to the suggestions of their users and that the ship reaches a safe port...

• Like 2

ShopNotes #142 (Vol. 24)

44 minutes ago, eugenes said:

Let's give BS a bit of room... you do not see the list if you actually type HTTP://   You see it with the first slash, but its gone if you go on and type the second one.  Maybe not elegant, but it works....

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 minutes ago, carlosgm said:

It was to be expected but I am realizing that the new change breaks any key combination that involves the slash.

? And you're using these inside Evernote?

hace 3 horas, gazumped dijo:

? And you're using these inside Evernote?

Yes, I use the "ctrl+/" key combination to focus my note in the note's list, however it is a minor detail and I can change the action with another key combination.

• Level 5
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

mmn.  The note has a blue box around it,  but I can confirm this...

I have 10.79.3 on my desktop with '/' active.  I have the same version,  just reinstalled,  on my Windows 10 laptop;  no '/' command...  weird.  Maybe it's a housekeeping thing - needs time or a restart to activate?  On desktop now - will contact Support if the lappy is still mute when I get home.

Yes, while editing a note pressing Esc gets a blue box and no editing action. Pointless, IMHO.

I found that when my laptop updated to 10.79.3, I had to quit and restart Evernote to regain the / command. Now wondering why I did that.

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, gazumped said:
On 3/12/2024 at 8:55 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Esc "escapes" the editing function altogether and leaves you in some kind of limbo

Hmmn.  The note has a blue box around it,  but I can confirm this...

It will be interesting to see if this sticks around.  From the blue box, you can tab to other areas of the Evernote Display which might be useful in scripting Evernote to do something.  Right now, things are too much in flux to waste any time with this (IMHO).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The blue box feature is exactly what I needed. Saves two steps in my query script. I used to have to script Ctrl-Alt-F , ESC, Alt-Ctrl-2, and then Ctrl-Q if I was editing in a detached window and wanted to query.

Now, just:

ESC and Ctrl-Q

Excellent!

• Like 2
  • Level 5
11 hours ago, Dave Green said:

It will be interesting to see if this sticks around.  From the blue box, you can tab to other areas of the Evernote Display which might be useful in scripting Evernote to do something.  Right now, things are too much in flux to waste any time with this (IMHO).

Brilliant catch! I couldn't figure out what it was for, and it looks like it will indeed be useful. Still doesn't eliminate the / menu when I don't want it.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Brilliant catch! I couldn't figure out what it was for, and it looks like it will indeed be useful. Still doesn't eliminate the / menu when I don't want it.

I don't understand at all, what will it be for? The blue box?

13 hours ago, Dave Green said:

From the blue box, you can tab to other areas of the Evernote Display which might be useful in scripting Evernote to do something.

Interesting idea. I always use F2 to get the focus off the note and into the title field. From there I can tab and shift tab to other places. Definitely worth looking at but as you say it could disappear by tomorrow so I'll stick with what I know for the moment.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Interesting idea. I always use F2 to get the focus off the note and into the title field. From there I can tab and shift tab to other places. Definitely worth looking at but as you say it could disappear by tomorrow so I'll stick with what I know for the moment.

I wasn't aware of using F2. Thanks for that. :)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ferol said:

that's what I read, but overall I still didn't get it...

I'll try again...

It helps back the focus out a level in the GUI so that you can tab (or use other keys) to get to other locations in the GUI.  I think it may be useful to folks who are using keystroke players to automate Evernote actions.

• Like 1
On 3/13/2024 at 11:44 AM, Grant837 said:

Let's give BS a bit of room... you do not see the list if you actually type HTTP://   You see it with the first slash, but its gone if you go on and type the second one.  Maybe not elegant, but it works....

Don't make up stuff. In Notion when you type http:// you can pause all you want after the first slash, it won't pop the menu.