Evernote 10.79.2 windows - announced new "slash" command not working? 

• Level 5
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Hopefully, someone responded to make it user selectable.

Yep. Myself, I think I'd usually want a new note created that way to be in the same notebook as the note I'm in. Hmm. Currently, it's context-sensitive: if I'm editing a note with the Notebooks list showing in the middle panel, the new note functions (Ctrl+N or click New Note) create the new note in the current notebook; if I have the Notes list showing the new note goes in the default.

TBH, I'm not sure that / Enter is any easier than Ctrl+N. But what's that about a "New linked note"? Meaning that the new note would automatically be linked from the note I'm in when I create it? Interesting!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

But what's that about a "New linked note"? Meaning that the new note would automatically be linked from the note I'm in when I create it? Interesting!

If I’m understanding, this sounds like a feature that is popular in Obsidian.  You link to and create a new note at the same time.  It will be interesting to see.

• Like 2

I had the same issue upon their announcement of introducing slash commands, but the very next day it was working.

Great stuff, but there's one option I still miss badly: creating a new note within the existing one. The slash command would be a smooth gateway for that, too.

How can I remove this annoying non sense ? Just someone that never wrote anything but codes could come up with this non sense, uninspiring idea, please remove it.

Anyone knows how can I downgrade to a version before that ? 

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

You don’t need a downgrade, you need to update. The next release will allow to toggle it off.

where did you get this info?

• Level 5
On 3/19/2024 at 11:40 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Yep. Myself, I think I'd usually want a new note created that way to be in the same notebook as the note I'm in....

TBH, I'm not sure that / Enter is any easier than Ctrl+N. But what's that about a "New linked note"? Meaning that the new note would automatically be linked from the note I'm in when I create it? Interesting!

On 3/19/2024 at 11:55 PM, s2sailor said:

If I’m understanding, this sounds like a feature that is popular in Obsidian.  You link to and create a new note at the same time.  It will be interesting to see.

So the new linked note creation from  a / command has arrived in v. 10.82 (downloadable from Evernote.com if your app isn't offering to update; pushed to Web clients). It works easily. Some specifics:

1. The new note is indeed in the same notebook as the one in which the note from which it was created resides. (Awaiting howls of "Why would anyone want that?" in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...)
  2. More interestingly, the new note's link is not created as green linked text but as a gray box with the note's title in it. By experimentation (not documentation!) I found that clicking on this, and then on the ... menu at right of the popup that appears, reveals a menu with options to open, copy, or copy the URL of the note, and to view it as: text (the familiar underlined green), title (the new gray box), or preview (what it sounds like).
  3. Better yet, all existing linked notes now offer this option. If you've got a green underlined note link, you can hover the pointer over it, click ... in the popup, and show it in any of these views. Note that only the "text" view allows editing the link text.

So with the new / command to create a linked note comes a boatload, or at least a little red wagon load, of other new functionality too. Unless this stuff has been around for 3 updates and I just never noticed it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

So with the new / command to create a linked note comes a boatload, or at least a little red wagon load, of other new functionality too. Unless this stuff has been around for 3 updates and I just never noticed it?

Yeah - your #2 and #3 have been around for quite some time (but they were a different color before the UI Revamp) -- at least since 10.50.2. Referenced here: https://tamingthetrunk.substack.com/p/oh-my-new-features-galore-with-evernote (with credit to @Jon/t for the awesome blog.)

image.png.d44dcb957a35cb13f2ec83536a5301d1.png

• Thanks 2
12 horas atrás, Dave-in-Decatur disse:

1. More interestingly, the new note's link is not created as green linked text but as a gray box with the note's title in it. By experimentation (not documentation!) I found that clicking on this, and then on the ... menu at right of the popup that appears, reveals a menu with options to open, copy, or copy the URL of the note, and to view it as: text (the familiar underlined green), title (the new gray box), or preview (what it sounds like).
  2. Better yet, all existing linked notes now offer this option. If you've got a green underlined note link, you can hover the pointer over it, click ... in the popup, and show it in any of these views. Note that only the "text" view allows editing the link text.

just a preview of what you said:

Sem título.png

• Level 5
17 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Yeah - your #2 and #3 have been around for quite some time (but they were a different color before the UI Revamp) -- at least since 10.50.2. Referenced here: https://tamingthetrunk.substack.com/p/oh-my-new-features-galore-with-evernote (with credit to @Jon/t for the awesome blog.)

Gobsmacked. I've edited tons of note links since v. 50, when Ctrl+Alt+K came out. I can't believe I never saw it. I have a vague memory of setting the default note link display to text; guess I never looked back. Sigh. Anyway, the / command to create new linked notes is here. ☺️

• Level 5
On 3/31/2024 at 6:27 PM, Dave Green said:

It does seem inconsistent not to use the user-specified default in creating the linked note.

That's a good point. I was so startled to see the gray box that I just assumed it had to be that we way (edit), but if we've got a default set, then, well default.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

My Web client just updated to 10.83.4 when my computer restarted. (This should be downloadable for desktops at evernote.com/download.) In the release notes (they're back!): "Introducing headings and lists to slash commands for improved note editing." These are items from the editing toolbar, not the blue + button. In very brief testing, works as advertised. Note that if you want to insert a header, you can type /h, but can not continue with 1, 2, or 3 (since they're subscripted in the dropdown 🙄); you have to scroll through the list with up/down arrows, or else click.

Hi there,

One month after the release slash commands still do not work in the desktop app. Only on web. Has any of you found a solution to this? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Adrian

I was so excited about the ability to create a new note with a link in-place just by typing slash.

Then I found out it only works if you are at the beginning of an empty line, so if you want to do this in a bulleted list for instance (I want to do this A LOT) it doesn't work. So for me it's almost completely useless.

Anyone know why does it not work in a bulleted list, or indeed everywhere?

• Level 5

AFAIK a bulleted list is inside of a HTML formatting, which reduces the execution of start-of-line commands. The slash is not at the beginning of a line any more behind a bullet.

Create your links first, then select, then bullet them.