Rolling out Evernote desktop 10.60.4

"Include sub-tags" from the dropdown in the blue tag lozenge doesn't seem to be working. Returns the same number of notes as for the parent tag even when there are notes tagged with a sub tag but not with the parent tag. 

image.png.2750dc2cf98b1aca7a6b9d23df0f759a.png

The tag filter seems to think they have been selected

image.png.8722d0b315881ffcbcd6e89f5ce017d4.png

However previously include sub-tags works for ANY of the tags while the filter works on ALL the tags. 

• Evernote Expert

Use of the DEL key to move a note to trash appears to have stopped working for me.  The only way to move to trash seems to be via the menus.

I tried reassigning the keys to something else but with not effect.

Steps to reproduce:

Highlight a note in the Note List column. Tap DEL. Nothing happens.

Right click the view and select Move to Trash and it works.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Use of the DEL key to move a note to trash appears to have stopped working for me.  The only way to move to trash seems to be via the menus.

When we saw this before it was accompanied by a greying out of the main Note drop down menu (which includes "Move to trash"). Is that the case here?

image.png.840f7fd4d08cf625f37402a1c033f992.png

2 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I had not tried that, @agsteele, as I did not have occasion to delete anything, I just created a note and managed to delete it ok using the Delete key.

Impressive, this has all been resolved:

• searching in a notebook is denied with the pop-up message: "Permissions lost, you can no longer access notebook XYZ"
  • sometimes global search in all notes returns the full note list instead of the filtered one.
  • deleting a note by pressing the delete button doesn't always respond
  • the note menu is sometimes completely grayed-out for some notes
  • when scrolling to the bottom of a result list with length > 128 ( 2^7 ), it always jumps back automatically to the top of the list. So the notes at the end of the list are unreachable
  • sometimes a global search does return a result list, but then after just waiting 10-30 seconds, it spontaneously starts repeating the search with intervals of a few seconds. This happens only when the result list sort-order is set to 'relevant'

I still need to further check the note creation / deletion performance which was affected as well.

• Like 7

OK, new installation well done (tested in German 😉).

After installation, I noticed some sync problems: Some notes that have been changed just before in Legacy mixed up sections and forgot embedded images and files. After some minutes (and clicking around in other notes), sync completed and mixed-up sections got corrected.

==> We need some information about sync completion. On every note (maybe by a colored dot in coresponding  note list line) and for all notes at all - but this is not a finding of 10.60 - it's a need since EN10 came alive...

4 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

... we're focusing on speed, stability and reliability...

OK, let's see what now freed developer power is able to do the next weeks 👍

• Like 3
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

After installation, I noticed some sync problems: Some notes that have been changed just before in Legacy mixed up sections and forgot embedded images and files. After some minutes (and clicking around in other notes), sync completed and mixed-up sections got corrected.

DM-ing you for details.

The title of notes that contain emoji in the title, and that are opened from the filtered notes widget is not showing correctly. The emojis are not recognized and strange characters appear instead. The same list of notes opened from the notebook containing the filtered notes open correctly.

The rest seem to be working properly

Tela 1.png

Tela 2.png

Tela 3.png

• Level 5

Happy to be in the 10% that got the 10.60.4 upgrade in the Web client when I refreshed the browser tab. Also manually downloaded the Windows desktop app and installed it. Known errors that I experienced have been fixed. Great! Let's never do this again sometime, eh? 😄

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

In general, Evernote sniffs out the version of the browser. Older versions, mobile versions etc are ok prevented.

On my tablet I have specifically set Evernote to open in desktop view.

Perhaps your new version of Chrome isn't included in the versions that can be viewed. Or, possibly, your browser is attempting to open in a mobile view.

1 hour ago, yakir said:

Any idea what this is?

You got any adblocker or tracker blockers running? Try it in a private window or guest profile as it could be a dodgy extension.

Does it work in a different browser?

On 8/7/2023 at 1:00 PM, agsteele said:

Steps to reproduce:

Highlight a note in the Note List column. Tap DEL. Nothing happens.

Right click the view and select Move to Trash and it works.

to delete a note use command and backspace - it works!

I found the install .exe failed to start once, and would always take over a minute to show the first dialog box (I was running it via Revo, but that has never caused this kind of problem with other apps)

It looks like the need to double-click/enter to have a search or show a tag file list is fixed.

Alas, the upgrade did not fix my ´spinning circle´ for all tabs in the Tasks view.  I have a ticket in about this, so will hope for a solution sooner than later.

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, bswiss56 said:

to delete a note use command and backspace - it works!

Thanks for the suggestion. That's a Mac keystroke and I'm on Windows.

As I noted, I rebuilt my local data and the DEL key now works again.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, yakir said:

(Also posted in Browser section)

When I tried in browser, Chrome latest on Win 11) I got

image.png.bba32cd7bc2fd2cd506b6cab664c5653.png

Any idea what this is?

@yakir That is used when the browser doesn't have access to indexedDB, which is the technology used for the database. It's basically available everywhere. Your browser most likely has some broken setting :)

2 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

@yakir That is used when the browser doesn't have access to indexedDB, which is the technology used for the database. It's basically available everywhere. Your browser most likely has some broken setting :)

I get the error on Chrome image.png.4f60d3c06f79b944874a5cde7e4b9b95.png on Win 11.

Nothing special that I know off.

Works OK on incognito mode and Edge - but both show:

image.png.a90ce88d9100ce03adbaf45589e4ad32.png

Cannot determine what the "old" version is in regular chrome.

10 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

In the Web client v. 10.60.4, in the Settings under Notes, I find two checkboxes, unchecked by default:

Always open external files

Always open external applications

Anybody know what these do?

I assume they support URL access for file:/// and protocol:/// access to other files and applications, respectively.  Many applications have URI interfaces like Evernote does with "evernote://'.  This is both convenient and small security risk.  You can select always or be asked each time one of the URIs is clicked.

Any compensation for the wasted time lost to yet another show stopper bug within Evernote? What with the massive price hike whilst dealing with the search bug and before it the sync bug, I feel extremely apprehensive of the software. Currently Evernote feels far more like experimental software rather than a thing that should have anything to do with critical business functions.

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, Tommack9fffeef said:

Any compensation for the wasted time lost to yet another show stopper bug within Evernote?

Of course not. But you could apply via the support ticket process. Just be sure to make clear which new bug you refer to.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
12 hours ago, Dave Green said:

I assume they support URL access for file:/// and protocol:/// access to other files and applications, respectively.  Many applications have URI interfaces like Evernote does with "evernote://'.  This is both convenient and small security risk.  You can select always or be asked each time one of the URIs is clicked.

Thanks. I find, though, that when I use a link file:///C:\... I always get the message "The link to file "C:\..." cannot be opened on this device," even with "Always open external files checked."

26 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks. I find, though, that when I use a link file:///C:\... I always get the message "The link to file "C:\..." cannot be opened on this device," even with "Always open external files checked."

Do you replace spaces with %20 and other such special characters that can’t be urls?

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Interesting. It works for me, for both individual files and folders, so I suppose it could be a Windows setting rather than an EN setting. 

I enter the link into the link box in the format you describe:

image.png.9d84e0db80ca682ab82949dffe28285d.png

But when I hover over the link I get the link with all forward slashes

image.png.c54d1576cba8703845394d3bc4696f03.png

I've just noticed another link which is entered in the link box using forward slashes, so you might want to try that

image.png.1423aadf21a165704cf13b1f46b7672c.png

@Dave Green's point is a good one, although in my case spaces seem to be fine.

Something seems different with 10.60.4?  (windows desktop app)

Now, When you specifically select a notebook, the field ("located in") disappears from the filtering form

I thought when I had a notebook selected, that in filtering, I used to be able to set a different notebook (field called "located in"). With the new version, that filter form field is missing.

To get the "located in" field to re-appear in the filter form,  I have to do a general search, then pick a note in a different notebook and the "located in" field shows up in the filter form.

Is this behavior new or am I mistaken?

On 8/7/2023 at 10:49 AM, Federico Simionato said:

It's a phased rollout, it will go out gradually over the next 7 days.
If you can't wait, you will be able to download the new version from the website shortly.

Changelog:

• Fixed audio loss when moving note during recording
  • Fixed tag deletion modal to include subtags
  • Fixed "Search failed. Try again later" error when filtering parent tag with sub-tags
  • Fixed ‘Note Unavailable’ error when loading notes
  • Fixed “Permission lost” error when searching or filtering in notebook view

As said in other messages, we're focusing on speed, stability and reliability, so:
👉 Please report in this thread any issue you might find on this new desktop version

Hallo, I am 11 years PRO user of Evernote... we used it in home and work... 8000 notes... 700 Tags... 20 notebook.... Is my pretty much the most used program 

Database more than 4GB..

I dont have problem with higher price....

My biggest problem is, that Evernote 10 is realy slower than  Evernote Legacy 6..

Please stop add new features before you really, really speed up Evernote...  I use it like main system whole days... every seconds for waiting is really problem...  time is money... 

I dont want switch to your competitors... I love Evernote...  but my time is for me more important.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

I notice that when v. 10.60.4 was installed, a couple of my settings got re-set to the default: under Notes, the ever-aggravating "Strikethrough completed checklist items" was turned on, and PDFs were set to display Single page instead of Title. I wish that updates would respect existing settings.

• Like 1

New version problem: something is definitely "wierd"/broken in search interplay between the search tool and the use of the filtering capability.  

In addition to an earlier post, there's a new behavior that I've never seen before:  

If you ever select a notebook, and then try to use the filter form, the "located in" option/field is missing on the filter form.  However, you can specify a notebook (eg. "notebook:NOTEBOOKNAME" )in the search tool and that will bring back the "Located in" field in the filtering form where you can change it to whatever you want.

Also,  using the search tool with only  notebook:  (no notebook name) will bring back the "Located in" field in the filter form.

Suggested solution:  fix the filter form to always enable / display the "Located in" filter.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, amInMarina said:

New version problem: something is definitely "wierd"/broken in search interplay between the search tool and the use of the filtering capability.  

In addition to an earlier post, there's a new behavior that I've never seen before:  

If you ever select a notebook, and then try to use the filter form, the "located in" option/field is missing on the filter form.  However, you can specify a notebook (eg. "notebook:NOTEBOOKNAME" )in the search tool and that will bring back the "Located in" field in the filtering form where you can change it to whatever you want.

Also,  using the search tool with only  notebook:  (no notebook name) will bring back the "Located in" field in the filter form.

Suggested solution:  fix the filter form to always enable / display the "Located in" filter.

Please don't double post. For me, if I'm "in" a notebook, then I want to find stuff in that notebook, so I wouldn't need the "Located in" filter. If I want to find stuff in another notebook, I can go to that notebook, or else start the search in the Search field, and click Everywhere.

• Like 1

One issue not resolved in V10.60 is the slow creation/deletion of notes which still takes 5 to 40 seconds. This was almost immediately in 10.58.8.

Is this a known issue?

edit: the extreme delays of 40 seconds seem to be related to server problems. Disconnected, note creation takes 5 seconds, still  very slow...

Since updating to this new version, I have experienced a total derangement to one of my notes! Post update, this has happened to me twice now.  I've been working on a note, and then it will automatically reshuffle the formatting.  When it first happened, I seemed to be able to fix it, thinking it was just being finnicky.  However, the second time, it distorted my entire note, adding duplicate sections, and reshuffling parts.  Please help!  I'm also wondering how to get these notes restored to how they were before, as I have important information that was recorded on them, that's all distorted now!  Thanks 

The following is an example of the automatic reformatting. 

Screenshot 2023-08-11 103656.png

• Level 5

Hi, @Janessa, and welcome to the forums. There have been other reports of content disappearing or being moved around, though they seem fairly isolated. I've had it happen to me, but not since the early days of the new sync structure back in May and June. My understanding is that Evernote is always syncing to its servers, and my speculation is that disruptions to the connection process at any point between your device and the server (with lots of hops along the way) can cause problems like this. I think Evernote is working to find ways to keep the note corruptions from happening. I could certainly be wrong, but for the sake of discussion, when did this start, is it happening on all notes you edit, and how solid is your Internet connection at those times?

Also, there are other threads in the forums that may relate to this. See this one, in particular some posts near the end that relate to the current version 10.60.4:

5 hours ago, Janessa said:

I myself have had in the latest versions multiple times that numbered and bulleted lists {in which I work a Lot} that edits got garbled up, looking a bit like your list. I copy paste a lot, drag content a lot. I've seen it on otherwise great connections, wired, 1gbit glass fiber connections. I have not made a support ticket yet, nor written a post in the forum. Evernote is costing me way too much time right now, the state it is in. 

• Sad 1

In the windows client I see some data loss too:

Reproduction steps:

create a new note

type a few lines of text (in the bottom right corner I see the notification that everything has been synced)

after editing, switch immediately to another note

go back to this note: Much of the note's content is gone

edit: I also noticed that the evernote client takes 40% CPU resources intermittently every few seconds, even while 'idling'

edit: this was 100% reproducible until  logout/login, since then I can't reproduce it anymore. I'm trying to figure out what I did before to get my evernote client in that state.

Perhaps this has to do with the performance issues that will be resolved next week, but of course poor performance should never affect the correct functioning of a program...

• Thanks 1

Hello All,

Using platform on Windows 10 & Windows 11 on several notebook computers. I have been experiencing high CPU usage for some time now and have several service tickets in for this. Months and months still not resolved. They keep saying that they are aware of this issue and are working on it. Not sure how true this is. A quick fix sometimes is to go to settings and uncheck the keep data on this PC box. Then sign out. In sigh out it will ask to keep a backup on PC. Check this off too. This will normally get it back to normal. However, there have been a few times that I had to uninstall, and remove all the files related to EN, then reinstall. In both exercises above, be sure to go onto EN Web and make sure all your work is in there and up to date. Also keep in mind that the issue will more than likely return.  It's a pain in the butt, and I hope this is resolved soon. 

EN is also a memory hog. The only thing that tops EN in memory usage is AutoCAD. The memory issue doesn't bother me that much, but the high CPU usage drains my battery when working remotely away from power. It also impacts AutoCAD performance. Running on battery and using AutoCAD is almost impossible when the issue pops up.  

• Like 1
On 8/11/2023 at 8:09 PM, Janessa said:

Since updating to this new version, I have experienced a total derangement to one of my notes! Post update, this has happened to me twice now.  I've been working on a note, and then it will automatically reshuffle the formatting.  When it first happened, I seemed to be able to fix it, thinking it was just being finnicky.  However, the second time, it distorted my entire note, adding duplicate sections, and reshuffling parts.  Please help!  I'm also wondering how to get these notes restored to how they were before, as I have important information that was recorded on them, that's all distorted now!  Thanks 

I am also experiencing this problem when editing numbered lists. I am losing some part of notes atleast once or twice everyday.

• Thanks 1
  • Administrator
  1. Evernote desktop 10.60.4 is available to everybody
  2. 👉 If you are on 10.60.4 and lose some data, please send me a forum DM with (important):
    1. app logs
    2. URL of the note where you lost content
    3. an explanation of the steps you went through

We are dedicating a lot of effort to solving data loss, but we have not been able to reproduce the issue, as it appears to happen infrequently and randomly. So we need your help. Thank you!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
1 hour ago, Federico Simionato said:
  1. Evernote desktop 10.60.4 is available to everybody
  2. 👉 If you are on 10.60.4 and lose some data, please send me a forum DM with (important):
    1. app logs
    2. URL of the note where you lost content
    3. an explanation of the steps you went through

We are dedicating a lot of effort to solving data loss, but we have not been able to reproduce the issue, as it appears to happen infrequently and randomly. So we need your help. Thank you!

which minimum log level do you need for the windows client? Will there be more specific logging in the next release to facilitate data loss debugging?

• Like 2
On 8/11/2023 at 1:11 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Hi, @Janessa, and welcome to the forums. There have been other reports of content disappearing or being moved around, though they seem fairly isolated. I've had it happen to me, but not since the early days of the new sync structure back in May and June. My understanding is that Evernote is always syncing to its servers, and my speculation is that disruptions to the connection process at any point between your device and the server (with lots of hops along the way) can cause problems like this. I think Evernote is working to find ways to keep the note corruptions from happening. I could certainly be wrong, but for the sake of discussion, when did this start, is it happening on all notes you edit, and how solid is your Internet connection at those times?

Also, there are other threads in the forums that may relate to this. See this one, in particular some posts near the end that relate to the current version 10.60.4:

Thanks @Dave-in-Decatur!  Yes, I hope it's turned around soon:)  I had a solid internet connection.  And, since then, I've actually stopped editing notes, as I'm in fear I'll lose more valuable content!  For me, it began with the most recent update.  Thanks 

• Like 1
On 8/11/2023 at 4:29 PM, MvdH said:

I myself have had in the latest versions multiple times that numbered and bulleted lists {in which I work a Lot} that edits got garbled up, looking a bit like your list. I copy paste a lot, drag content a lot. I've seen it on otherwise great connections, wired, 1gbit glass fiber connections. I have not made a support ticket yet, nor written a post in the forum. Evernote is costing me way too much time right now, the state it is in. 

Yes, same here.  It began happening with the newest update, during solid internet connection, and while I was working with bulleted lists.  Hopefully that helps Evernote fix the issue.  

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
44 minutes ago, Janessa said:

Hopefully that helps Evernote fix the issue.  

They need more than what is mentioned here.  If you haven’t already, please submit a support ticket with log file as suggested above.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Federico Simionato said:

We found the bug @Janessa reported. It will require a client update. I'll work to make sure the fix goes out with the next update.

I just sent you logs, note link, screenshots and a detailed description of a different type of data loss I just experienced about an hour ago. Hopefully my experience has the same root cause as Janessa's, but if not I hope my report helps get to the bottom of this one as well. This data loss relates to a pdf attachment, and while this is the first time I've experienced the exact scenario which resulted in a lost pdf attachment, this is at least the third time that I've lost an attachment in recent weeks and I am very concerned. I can't exactly count on Evernote to be my second brain if it randomly decides to lose my attachments. :( 

• Sad 3
10 hours ago, Paul A. said:

I just sent you logs, note link, screenshots and a detailed description of a different type of data loss I just experienced about an hour ago. Hopefully my experience has the same root cause as Janessa's, but if not I hope my report helps get to the bottom of this one as well. This data loss relates to a pdf attachment, and while this is the first time I've experienced the exact scenario which resulted in a lost pdf attachment, this is at least the third time that I've lost an attachment in recent weeks and I am very concerned. I can't exactly count on Evernote to be my second brain if it randomly decides to lose my attachments. :( 

On which device(s) did the data loss occur and under what circumstances? My Android client also loses photos when 4G data connection is used

8 hours ago, eric99 said:

On which device(s) did the data loss occur and under what circumstances? My Android client also loses photos when 4G data connection is used

On desktop (macOS), while connected to a mobile hotspot. I was having connection issues (spotty mobile phone service). I searched for a note which had a document I needed, and in the process of finding and opening the document Evernote decided to delete the document from my note. :( 

Looking at the note again the next day, the note now shows a pdf attachment called "Untitled Attachment" but the pdf can not be interacted with (can't open/save/rename, etc.). There were many reports of people (myself included) having their files replaced with "Untitled Attachment" and effectively losing their files in recent weeks/months, though those reports died down recently so I had hoped this issue had been resolved. Perhaps these are all slightly different bugs, or perhaps the issue simply hasn't been completed fixed.

Either way, it's frustrating. This particular instance isn't a big deal to me, but I fear losing documents that are important to me. I've found myself using Evernote a bit less lately due to my eroding trust and that causes its own frustrations because I find EN very useful. It has to work, though, and never lose my stuff. That's job #1, #2, and #3.

• Like 4

I just updated and the updated Evernote is terrible.  Is there a way to color code the Notebooks like you could in Legacy?  The auto sync is the worst!!!! Can we get the manual sync back please?  Our company uses this to processes a large volume of invoices.  We have several different locations that need to share note and do research.  Speed is critical for our level of productivity. The new version is extremely slow, too slow.  Legacy was perfect! I am currently researching other applications for my company.  Bring back choice. 

On 8/22/2023 at 2:14 PM, ppa880 said:

The new version is extremely slow, too slow.  Legacy was perfect! I am currently researching other applications for my company.  Bring back choice. 

@Federico Simionato I'll answer your DM soon, asking me about the slow parts and a few (seemingly) minor missing features for your GTD/TSW target audience with use cases like me and people in my company. 

Only for extremely patient people v10 is bearable. With a few (I assume small) changes (like sorting on the tags column in noteviews/lists, more speed at certain places, a few hot keys, faster performance on terrible slow index updating on the background when changing tags, extreem slow merging).

I'll get back on that in a DM and in the thread about GTD/TSW. I was waiting for time consuming bugs on data loss, sync problems and garbled numbered and bulleted lists before answering. 

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I'd take a guess that you have some corruption in the local data.  Try sign out, remove your data, then sign back in.  The local data will be rebuilt and all be available after some time to be rebuilt. See how the search stuff works from there.