New payment plans!

I have been an Evernote user since 2010 and a Plus subscriber ($38/year) for a long time. My Plus subscription is due to renew in November. I don't need all the extra stuff that the $100/year Personal plan offers, and the Free plan will not give me offline access. I use a Chromebook - does that mean I have to pay $62/year more just to have offline access? This is very confusing.

Subscriber here since 2008.  This most likely puts me over the edge to move to OneNote.  The response from Evernote was galling to me:

Our new Personal plan is priced higher than Premium used to be; however, the Personal price is in-line with prices around the world, reflects the additional value over Premium, and takes additional local market conditions, such as extra taxes and fees leveraged on subscriptions, into account.

WTF does that even mean?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
46 minutes ago, Ctbjdm said:

WTF does that even mean?

If you were a plus or premium subscriber,  you have been grandfathered in.  You need do nothing and your plan will continue with its current features and at the current price.  However if you especially like the new bells and whistles,  you would have to pay to upgrade.  Your choice.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
18 hours ago, Ctbjdm said:

Subscriber here since 2008.  This most likely puts me over the edge to move to OneNote.  The response from Evernote was galling to me:

Our new Personal plan is priced higher than Premium used to be; however, the Personal price is in-line with prices around the world, reflects the additional value over Premium, and takes additional local market conditions, such as extra taxes and fees leveraged on subscriptions, into account.

WTF does that even mean?

Breakdown:

There were some Premium plans priced lower than the new Personal plan.

We are convinced that the benefit of using Personal justifies the new price (remark: equal to non rebated Premium before)

We have taken care of local (national) differences in taxes or additional fees to make the pricing competitive in all markets.

It proves the old rule that a sentence with more than 15 words is simply too long.

I have been a Premium member since 2011 - I guess Premium is not longer Premium.   Ouch, my ego will never be the same! 

Looks like Personal is the new Premium for personal use.   How do I upgrade to the new Personal level, without losing the $49.99, I recently paid for one year of Premium?   Will the 49.99, automatically be applied to a personal membership?   Thanks, Jeff

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Jeffsky said:

Will the 49.99, automatically be applied to a personal membership?

A question for support at   https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action
Please let us know the answer

btw  Existing full Premium accounts were automatically upgraded to Personal   
You might want to verify your account level

• Level 5

How the move to a new subscription works depends on your way of payment. We had reports in the forum when after upgrading, the full amount was draw from the users account. A short while after he got a refund for the part of the old subscription that was still running.

What AFAIK does not work is to use a different payment method for the new subscription. Say you had the old on with iTunes/Apple, and play the new one with a credit card. In this case I doubt the automatic refund will happen.

But to be sure, ask support first.

• Level 5

Then you were on a rebated price.

You can stick with it, or upgrade.

About upgrading it is really best you ask support first. The refunding works technically different for different payment methods - as a general rule, you will be refunded for the unused part of your current subscription after paying the price for the upgraded one.

• Evernote Expert

@Jeffsky As @PinkElephant has said, you appear to be on the old, rebated, subscription plan for Premium so that is what you will remain on and at the price you have previously paid. If you don't need the extra, new, bells and whistles then no need to do anything and you will continue on your old price.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157-Compare-Evernote-subscription-plans

I would imagine you can expect occasional invitations to upgrade but you do not need to do so.

On 8/31/2021 at 7:50 AM, Jeremye said:

Except in this analogy people are ordering like's a combination KFC/McDonald's because that's how they read the sign. But I don't think that's an Evernote problem, just more of an indicator of how likely people are coming into subscriptions via iOS. 

In this case, the sign says, "If you're wearing shoes on your feet, you can buy KFC and McDonald's here!" and does not say, "Oh, and by the way, the McDonald's you get here may NOT be the McDonald's you're used to (despite having McD's' formal endorsement of the place), and don't expect the same quality."  

And fwiw, I came into Evernote through Evernote a decade ago; I only ended up utilizing iTunes to re-up my subscription bc I happened to be on my phone when I was evaluating my subscriptions overall, and there was never anything to indicate that by doing so I would be trading away any benefit, much less any specified  benefit.

• Like 2
On 9/2/2021 at 2:08 PM, PinkElephant said:

How the move to a new subscription works depends on your way of payment. We had reports in the forum when after upgrading, the full amount was draw from the users account. A short while after he got a refund for the part of the old subscription that was still running.

What AFAIK does not work is to use a different payment method for the new subscription. Say you had the old on with iTunes/Apple, and play the new one with a credit card. In this case I doubt the automatic refund will happen.

But to be sure, ask support first.

Unless something has changed, if you last paid a subscription via Apple/iTunes, you will NOT receive a credit against a new plan price (pro-ration or credit/rebate), even if you just renewed yesterday.

(And if something has changed, I'd appreciate  someone from Evernote reaching out to me to sort out my situation.  I'd have been a Premium subscriber 6 months ago (and therefore I guess now a Personal level user) if it were otherwise.  Instead, I'm now evaluating whether it is worth it to triple my yearly cost to a level  higher than any other suite (nevermind single app) of software I use.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Athena13 said:

(And if something has changed, I'd appreciate  someone from Evernote reaching out to me to sort out my situation.  I'd have been a Premium subscriber 6 months ago (and therefore I guess now a Personal level user) if it were otherwise.  Instead, I'm now evaluating whether it is worth it to triple my yearly cost to a level  higher than any other suite (nevermind single app) of software I use.

On 9/2/2021 at 2:03 AM, gazumped said:

If you were a plus or premium subscriber,  you have been grandfathered in.  You need do nothing and your plan will continue with its current features and at the current price.  However if you especially like the new bells and whistles,  you would have to pay to upgrade.  Your choice.

- You can check (and change) your account status at any time via Evernote.com.  While in a perfect world it shouldn't matter how your payments get to Evernote,  their accounting system is not connected to Apple.  If you upgrade via Evernote,  having initially renewed through Apple,  it will take some time (!) for things to get worked out. 

Better to stick with the delivery channel you came in by,  or change your status back to 'Free' and wait for the next renewal date to upgrade. 

This being (mainly) a user 2 user forum we don't know anything substantive about burger/chicken exchange rates - any further queries are best addressed to whomever you last paid.

I just upgraded from Plus with their 40% off of one year for Personal deal.

My Plus membership renewal, which I had just paid recently, was set to expire in July 2022.

I ended up paying something like $13 at the time of upgrade and my Personal subscription now goes to the beginning of September 2022. The $13 was the difference between what I had currently paid for Plus to the end of the old term, plus the two extra new months.

I paid directly with credit card outside of Paypal or any App Store program.

And it gets better:

Just after I posted the above, I got a popup offering me  40% off the new Personal.  So, though I already know that with my current subscription, which was being paid through iTunes, I would unlikely be able to upgrade (consistent with the attempt to upgrade to Premium 6-7 months ago), I click on the upgrade offer just to check and see.  Now bear in mind after being completely blunted by Evernote before, I, intending to move back to paying directly through Evernote, set my subscription in iTunes not to renew. 

So, screen says:

image.thumb.png.7a8fe29d78adbc5231c0008fda1d23bf.png

So, now, not only am I disqualified from upgrading (again), but I'm looking at a demotion when my account becomes due for renewal (who knows if I lose everything if that happens...?). 

So then I click on "Change" under Account Level, and this is what I get:

image.thumb.png.621113e5c9c1c79adc9e5aa1e9939031.png

YES, I am now redirected to iTunes/my iOS device in order to make any changes to my Evernote subscription...which means that forever and ever (?) I have to use iTunes and will never be eligible for an upgrade because I pay through iTunes.

Someone make it make sense.  And no, I get the "logic" of it, but it is beyond me why Evernote would have no mechanism or give anyone authority to make this right.  There is no reason that my method of payment should have impacted my ability to upgrade through a promotion sent to me, and there is even less than zero reason that I should also then be unable to  try to fix my apparently disqualifying payment method and told that I had to continue to use the method that (unbeknownst to me originally) disqualified me!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, gazumped said:

- You can check (and change) your account status at any time via Evernote.com.  While in a perfect world it shouldn't matter how your payments get to Evernote,  their accounting system is not connected to Apple.  If you upgrade via Evernote,  having initially renewed through Apple,  it will take some time (!) for things to get worked out. 

Better to stick with the delivery channel you came in by,  or change your status back to 'Free' and wait for the next renewal date to upgrade. 

This being (mainly) a user 2 user forum we don't know anything substantive about burger/chicken exchange rates - any further queries are best addressed to whomever you last paid.

It is not a timing issue; evidently my having used an Evernote-endorsed method of renewing my subscription makes it a solid "no."  Also - see my latest note - I'm now redirected by Evernote to go BACK to iTunes in order to adjust or change my subscription!

16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

And thanks for your thoughts.  I understand this is a user forum.  However, as I mentioned before, I spoke at length with both Apple and Evernote, and I got absolutely nowhere.  I would not expect anything from Apple, as it is neither their promotion nor their app at issue; it should be down to Evernote to smooth out customer service wrinkles with their subscribers  and offerings.

I write here for two reasons: 1) to alert other users about an issue of relative significance; and 2) for the same reason anyone writes of an issue on a public/user forum - in the hope that someone at the company is or will at some point pay attention and adjust a poor or dysfunctional policy/customer service issue.

Well it's safe to say the upgrade channels are not sync'd... The iPhone app prompted me to upgrade with the 40% discount, why not? Easy Face ID and it's sorted, right? Nope!

image.png.97b8ab394fc13ec06280b2e576501f9a.png

I've now paid for the upgrade via apple, have not been prorated my old payment and to insult to injury it hasn't even acknowledged the upgrade, the mobile app, iOS desktop app and web client are all still saying I'm on Premium...

image.png.9d475d7a03fcfd3afa0af9bbada38834.png

On 9/3/2021 at 9:37 AM, Jeffsky said:

Being the impatient person I am, I upgraded to the annual Personal plan.  Hopefully I will get the 49.99 refunded.

Good news, Apple just credited me $40.80.   I guess this is the prorated credit.   

• 3 weeks later...

So question... my widget on my tablet is now gone for Evernote.   It's stateing that I need to update my plan to use a widget. REALLY???  I've been a premium member for over ten years.  What is going on??? 

I used to be a HUGE Evernote advocate, bleed green but I don't know lately,  anyone else not feeling the love or the appreciation?

Mike

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You mean an external widget, showing on the tablet desktop ? AFAIK these were gone with v10 and have not returned.

When EN addresses widgets, these are the ones internally, on the EN Home screen, when you open the app.

A basic set of them is available for Free users. Subscribers can modify their Home dashboard, and depending on their plan install additional widgets there.

IMHO nothing not appreciative there. It is similar to other features where Free users get some, but never all capabilities.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Again, there is NO external widget for the iOS Home Screen. Not with v10, not for money nor for poetic rhymes. If there will be one in the future again, nobody can tell.

Everything about EN widgets is for the apps internal Home Screen. Every EN user has the Home Screen when using the v10 version, but editing it depends on the subscription.

And AGAIN...   I RECEIVED  a prompt to upgrade my account in a pop up box  as it related to the widget.   So if there is no plan option for a widget that's EVEN MORE misleading.   Also,  I didn't claim it was iOS,  it was Android.  

Sidenote:  I just uninstalled and reinstalled and it now allowed me to use the widget?    Weird!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The mobile client is the same on iOS and Android, same release status, same features (just the performance and stability seems to be better with iOS).

EN calls the different functional Windows show on the Home dashboard Widgets. Easy enough to understand …

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Evernote since 2012. I've always been a premium user. I had a problem with a lot of bugs. I persevered, persevered, and never completely abandoned Evernote. I've always been aware of its potential. I chose to believe the promises of Evernote's CEOs. In the last 2 years, the program has had serious problems. Again, I believed in Ian Small's vision and words, I was patient. But when I tried to renew a subscription last month, I really had a hard time. The subscription fee that I paid 70 TL (Turkish Lira) every year has now become 250 TL. The subscription fee in Turkey has been increased 3.5 times. Like a joke! After all the trouble they caused, they should find excuses to forgive themselves; first they increased the restrictions on the free version, then they increased the subscription fee by 3.5 times. This has now crossed the line. Evernote has proven what a hungry company it is with this move. Ian Small is now an untrustworthy CEO for me.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

EN published it - so I see no reason not to make a citation of it. Just make it clear it is a citation, and maybe paste a link beneath, for everybody who wants to take a closer look.

Good practice is to split citation (=fact) and your opinion about it (=comment). But this maybe already takes it too far, looking at todays internet …

I too am am still on a Plus plan, because it has everything I need... Keep getting the nag screen to 'upgrade', but why would I upgrade to Personal when a) I don't need all the extra features and b) it costs nearly twice as much!

Also, am I the only one who find the new Home/dashboard screen really annoying...?
For those who find it useful, fine. But for those who don't, please give us a way of turning the damn thing off.

• Level 5

My personal opinion: You are on a discontinued plan, courtesy of EN. Other companies would give you the time until it expires, and would then ask for „up or out“.

But anyhow, here in the forum you only reach other users. To send your request into EN, you can use the feedback function build into the clients. It won’t be answered, but they promised to read them all.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, eastendgirl said:

Also, am I the only one who find the new Home/dashboard screen really annoying...?

I don't know... You could be ;)  The good news is that you don't have to use Home. Evernote will return to wherever you last were so if you don't access Home then, whilst it might be lurking in the background, you don't have to see it.

On 11/7/2021 at 7:24 AM, eastendgirl said:

For those who find it useful, fine. But for those who don't, please give us a way of turning the damn thing off.

You are definitely NOT! I hate the thing and there are quite a few people in the Features forum who also dislike it and want a way to turn it off!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The question is what you want to know.

There are 3 Plans to which you can subscribe:

Personal - for your own use, focussed on organizing your private and professional life

Professional - like Personal, plus Features to support collaboration between individuals. Designed for example to help freelancers who need to set up (and close) projects and work groups

Teams - is the plan for small and medium sized companies and other, similar organizations. Makes only sense if at least 3 people work together on a permanent basis. Features like Professional, plus Control of Access and user rights for a shared knowledge base and workflows. Every Teams account member gets a Personal account for his own use free of charge.

I've been using Evernote since 2012. I've always been a premium user. I had a problem with a lot of bugs.

Wanna get my first professional account soon but...What kind of bugs are you talking about? I heard that some people had troubles with entering into their accounts, massive 404 errors, etc. And after I hear such things, I doubt that I need a pro account. And these new payment plans seem to be unreasonable now, and I don't really like the tendency.  According to the pip calculator I can't pay that much for such services, so I probably will wait 'till the prices fall down. Hopefully, it's gonna happen very soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

However, users of an older plan (Plus, Premium) can continue on these plans, if they decide to do so.

EN is not forcing an upgrade. If staying on the old plan features will stay frozen as well - new features will only be added with the set made available  for the Free plan.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, don't care what it costs, not going above free

I used to have Premium, but had so many problems free or not, I eventually stopped paying. Now finally there is dark mode, which I waited for years for, but the new update has given me new headaches and doesn't work the way it used to. Not worth it to put money in it for me when I can't use a function I have always relied on now.

I'll try and see if what I want and always had can be fixed, but still can' see putting money in to it

• 6 months later...

Premium customer here. I currently pay $45 per year ($3.75 per month). I just got a pop-up saying that Personal is only $2.92 per month ($35.04 per year). I'm wondering if I should switch or if there's some benefit to sticking with Premium. I see that there are a few additional features to Personal that I don't currently have with Premium, plus it's a little cheaper...  Am I missing something?

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, robbyvegas said:

it's a little cheaper...  Am I missing something?

The sticker rates for Evernote are here - https://evernote.com/compare-plans and I think it looks like you're included in some sort of discount deal which will apply for one year only... as you're a subscriber you should ask Support (which we're not) to verify any terms you've been quoted.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Evernote Expert
12 minutes ago, paulvantuyl said:

Please stop posting upgrade advertisements in the product. I've been a paying customer for years.

THere are many threads which discuss the in-app advertising and ways of resolving things. If you need to feedback to Evernote then I'd recommend a support ticket or the in-app Feedback since these forums don't always see so many staff passing by.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5

Simple as that: If Microsoft does what you want, throw your money at them. If EN does what you want, throw your money there. If neither does it, don't throw your money. Personally I am happy with using the Apple iWorks suite (and LibreOffice if I can't avoid that ribbons for once), so no need to throw anything at Microsoft. EN does create value for me, so I decided to keep my subscription.

If holding money is a depressing issue for you I can send you my account data for a little injection, but I rather think you should invest it instead into nice red wine (Italian of course), music and a good time with friends.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Simple as that: If Microsoft does what you want, throw your money at them. If EN does what you want, throw your money there. If neither does it, don't throw your money. Personally I am happy with using the Apple iWorks suite (and LibreOffice if I can't avoid that ribbons for once), so no need to throw anything at Microsoft. EN does create value for me, so I decided to keep my subscription.

If holding money is a depressing issue for you I can send you my account data for a little injection, but I rather think you should invest it instead into nice red wine (Italian of course), music and a good time with friends.

Ahah thank you for the suggestions.

Anyway I think they should offer a 30€/y plan with limited features for personal purpose. I can't use the free plan only because I have a phone, an Ipad a Mac and a pc...

• Level 5

It is a fair bet that the new owners will take a close look at the business plans. The only source of income for EN is subscription revenue, since they don’t trade with users data (as many others do).

There are some interesting points there:

• A very low ratio of paying users compared to all accounts (recurring revenue vs. total users, probably 1 subscriber per 100 accounts)
  • A „free forever“ cloud storage, even for large amounts of data from former subscribers who eventually downgraded 
  • A lot of inactive or accidentally created accounts (I assume this from several indicators)
  • Free accounts going on forever, no limit to force users to decide whether it’s up or out
  • The same for some grandfathered plans, leading as well to a hodgepodge of old and current subscriptions with differing feature sets and prices

Yes, I expect some movement in this area of running the business. It will probably not be convenient for everybody, but I think the focus will rather be of conversion of non / low performing accounts, not to scare existing subscribers away.

What I could imagine instead of a new entry level subscription would be a family plan, maybe enriched by some features found on the current Teams plan. Easy to do based on existing code resources, and probably a way to convert a typical „1 subscriber + several Free accounts“ into something more balanced.

• Like 6
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, spersephone said:

Just got told my plan is increasing by 77% so I’ve decided to cancel after being a member for over 11 years. 

Hi.  Without details I can't comment.  Goodbye and good luck.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Right. Well, I've just sent them a rather firm letter to announce my intention to stop payment.
I never actually wanted an upgrade to "Plus" when they attempted to force me out of other legacy features, but felt backed into a corner by way of time, circumstance, and lack of knowledge re: alternative options.
Now I have had ample time to give Bear Markdown a try, and their notice of increase in price has come at a very bad time for them––especially considering the fact that I could not give a toss about any "new features" being added to a program used (on my part) mainly for notes and very simple shopping lists. Anything creative ends up being lost in the mix, so Bear is far better suited for such. Demanding $50 per year for an app, especially during what looks to become the most disastrous financial collapse in recorded history, is flagrant extortion.
I may continue to use the "free" version, but am no longer feeling even remotely inclined to go along with any more of this nonsense.

Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 13.17.02.png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DarkStardust said:

I may continue to use the "free" version, but am no longer feeling even remotely inclined to go along with any more of this nonsense.

That is,  of course,  entirely your choice - but you might want to nip along to -  https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action - and change your account type to basic,  and maybe remove your payment details too?  Your existing account level and access will continue until the due date,  then you'll be back to lower use limits and a maximum of two connected devices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, DarkStardust said:

Right. Well, I've just sent them a rather firm letter to announce my intention to stop payment.
I never actually wanted an upgrade to "Plus" when they attempted to force me out of other legacy features, but felt backed into a corner by way of time, circumstance, and lack of knowledge re: alternative options.
Now I have had ample time to give Bear Markdown a try, and their notice of increase in price has come at a very bad time for them––especially considering the fact that I could not give a toss about any "new features" being added to a program used (on my part) mainly for notes and very simple shopping lists. Anything creative ends up being lost in the mix, so Bear is far better suited for such. Demanding $50 per year for an app, especially during what looks to become the most disastrous financial collapse in recorded history, is flagrant extortion.

Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 13.17.02.png

from 35 to 50 USD, isn't that 43% increase, not 77%. Where is that percentage  coming from?

• Level 5
8 hours ago, DarkStardust said:

If you're not doing anything on Evernote that is worth $1 a week, then definitely it is not the tool for you. I pay twice that and consider it good value for what I do with Evernote. To me, it seems that their pricing  is not extortionate, just too high for some people's use cases. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

I hope you know the value you get from using EN.

I hope you have an overview of possible alternatives, maybe even gave them a test run. You know as well how much they will cost.

Then it is an easy decision: If the value you get from EN still good for the new price ?

Else where do you want to go ? How much effort is it to import the content into the new tool ? How much time is needed ?

The worst decision is the one taken by inertia. Close to it is moving without a goal.

So stop complaining, do your math.

I’ve been with Evernote since June 2010. Added a Teams plan shortly after it was introduced. After v10 was introduced we had too many issues with it and exported everything to Notion and deactivated Evernote Teams. I’ve maintained my Personal plan (haven’t added anything) and followed development since. Have looked into coming back several times as development has progressed but have been disappointed every time… until recently. My personal account had some Web sync issues initially but that seems to have resolved and the Desktop/Mobile apps seem to be working fine.
With that success; we are considering re-activating Teams but, for the life of me, I cannot find current pricing shown anywhere on Evernote’s web pages. That’s the tactic of the wildly overpriced Project Management programs that have exploded on the scene recently. “Sign up for the free trial and we’ll tell you what it costs later” or “If you have to ask what it costs you can’t afford it”. This doesn’t seem to me a very good way to begin (or reestablish) a relationship.

With all of that said can someone please direct me to the place that Evernote let’s me know what they intend to take from my bank every year or do I have to contact the company directly to attempt to find out?

Thanks for listening.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, pkbldr said:

That’s the tactic of the wildly overpriced Project Management programs that have exploded on the scene recently.

Hi.  Could also be to do with "exchange rates and applicable taxes worldwide being such a minefield that we'll tell you individually if and when you contact us..." - we're mainly users here - try asking Support directly.

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, pkbldr said:

I cannot find current pricing shown anywhere on Evernote’s web pages. That’s the tactic of the wildly overpriced Project Management programs that have exploded on the scene recently. “Sign up for the free trial and we’ll tell you what it costs later” or “If you have to ask what it costs you can’t afford it”.

Not just a tactic of Project Management. Many of the online applications for personal productivity seen to demand a registration before you can discover a price. I've walked away from a number of products for that reason. In fact I suspect that if I was coming to Evernote as a newbie I might easily walk away for the same reason 🤪

The new owners have chosen to push pricing off the front page. Getting a price for Personal and Professional seems easy enough but Teams appears to require interaction with the sales team. 

https://evernote.com/teams/contact

• Like 3
On 4/1/2023 at 12:43 PM, agsteele said:

The new owners have chosen to push pricing off the front page. Getting a price for Personal and Professional seems easy enough but Teams appears to require interaction with the sales team. 

On 4/1/2023 at 11:54 AM, gazumped said:

try asking Support directly.

I’m not sure how to react to the reply to my support inquiry;

Hi there,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Support. I'm Raven, and I'll be looking into your concern.

I understand that you're looking for a way to check the price for upgrading your Personal subscription and for reactivating your Teams account. I know how important it is for you to get this sorted out, and I'll do my best to provide assistance.

I've looked into the Evernote account associated with the email address you used to contact us, and it appears that you currently have a gift-based Evernote Personal subscription. I wanted to let you know that your account is currently unable to upgrade to Evernote Professional because it is set to Personal gift service. Due to system limits, we are unable to convert that Personal gift service to Professional service, and you will need to wait until your account downgrades to Free membership to complete the upgrade. I do apologize for this delay.

Once your individual account has been downgraded to Free service, you can check the price of your desired subscription in your home currency using these steps:
  1. Log into Evernote using a desktop web browser.
  2. Navigate to Evernote Account Settings and view the Account Summary.
  3. Click on the green Upgrade button.
  4. Select your desired subscription and billing frequency

Kindly You do not need to checkout to confirm the pricing of your desired membership.
In regards to reactivating your Evernote Teams account, please be informed that the price may vary due to factors such as the number of seats that you'll be activating (minimum of two seats), the region that you'll be paying from, your billing frequency, etc. While I'm currently not able to provide specific details regarding this, we'll be more than happy to continue assisting you when you decide to reactivate your Teams account again.

I hope this clarifies your inquiry. Should you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards,

Raven B.
Customer Support Representative“
=+===================================================

Apparently if you have to ask you cannot afford it?

How on earth do the great, great majority of other apps post pricing for their different plans, including Evernote until very recently. It almost seems Raven doesn’t know or is forbidden to disclose the secret pricing. 
I did as she suggested on the personal account and it shows an upgrade to professional is $10.99 month. It does not disclose if that’s for annual or monthly payment, or if indeed there is a difference. I’m also instructed to decide to reactivate my Teams account BEFORE I may know how much it will cost.

I’ve never seen anything like this in my life. Does not instill confidence and I hope they work this out soon as they must be bleeding paid accounts and clearly are discouraging new paid accounts.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, pkbldr said:

I hope they work this out

Hi.  Seems to me you got a rote reply from a drone agent (or maybe an AI) that did not address your query at all - did you point out most of that was nonsense?

The bit about not being able to give you a Teams price was kind've understandable - you pay depending on the number of employees,  and -like I said originally- the location and local taxes of your country.  Again a straight request asking for a quotation for a Teams account "covering x people based in y" should get something more useful.

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

The bit about not being able to give you a Teams price was kind've understandable - you pay depending on the number of employees,  and -like I said originally- the location and local taxes of your country.

They've had our accounts since June 2010 and I've have expected them to know where we are located. As far as the number of employees; to my knowledge the pricing has always been $X per employee. Is there reason to think that will have changed? Strikes me as smoke and mirrors and, as I said, does not further the relationship with the new owners.

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, pkbldr said:

I've have expected them to know where we are located.

Hi again - why? Some harassed tech support newbie is fielding queries as fast as they can and churns out a bit of holding text to get rid of their workload.  If you didn't get the answer you want, you may need to try a little harder...

It's my understanding that under Bending Spoon's new management Evernote has removed pricing from their website until after you sign up and/or go through the process right up to the pay point -- at least for individuals, but it sounds like they've done it for teams as well.

Some people are getting increases on their subscriptions and others aren't, but nobody knows what the factors are -- it's seemingly random from an outsiders point of view -- and Bending Spoons isn't giving out the information. It's just not straightforward at all.

So maybe rather than some tech support newbie issue, it could be that tech support doesn't have all the new Bending Spoons info and/or they are under orders not to disclose it.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Or they're trying some sort of price-point research so they know what levels to charge at in the future...  Odd.

Which I believe is what is happening...

• Like 1

Success! After only 3 days I have an answer for my pricing, in the US, for reactivating my Teams Account. I’m not sure if I’m revealing a proprietary secret but since I’ve agreed to no NDA I think I can disclose that at least my cost is $14.99 per month each if paid monthly, or 12.50 per month paid annually. This was revealed to me via a Personal Conversation in the Forums. When I deactivated I was paying $12 per User, per month for 4 Seats paid monthly. As I see it that’s a $2.50 monthly price increase. Not a big WoW and I certainly believe it is a good value at that new price.

Sadly, in answer to the upgrade of my Personal account being forbidden, I was referred back to Customer Support where I got the original pathetic non-answer.

I’m at a loss for what all the difficulty & secrecy is about but have no experience in the tech industry so….

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

Well,  you can bet that if you currently have a grandfathered Premium account,  your Personal or Professional account will be more expensive - so the relevant question may be;  are you happy with the account features you already have,  or do you want to move up to Tasks and Calendars and the rest?

And what Support are saying (I think) is that you don't have a direct upgrade option from Premium - for internal technical reasons (ie your account type doesn't exist on their system any more) you'd have to wait until your current subscription expires and brings you back to Basic,  which does exist. 

Support won't know when you might choose to let that happen,  so they're not prepared to give you a blanket price in case you hold them to it in a year's time.

I also just got an e-mail that my account will go up from 59,99 euros to 105,99!.   

Through the years (I'm a user since 2011) it went up from 29/39/45/59,99 and I understand that an increase is normal, but this is a pretty hefty one.   

Since free is not on option (I particularly use the 'e-mail into' option) I probably will start to look around. 

Coen, The Netherlands

O.k. The new subscriptions are completely random.  I have seen so many reactions were people would go up $20 in price up u till al ost 100,- in euros.  For myself it would be an increase from 59.99 euro to 105.99 for my personal plan.

Strangely, in the appstore I could choose personal for 41.99 per year ?!?  Within the app personal would cost 7.99 per month whilst clicking on to the website this would change in 8.83 per month.

So the least I could do was to cancel my subscription before the renewal of next week. EN asks for a reason so I choose the ‘too expensive’ option. And voila, I get a 40% discount if I stay and will only pay 63.49 for the next year.

i’ll go for it, since I don’t seem to find a better alternative, but I hate the way this company works with it’s pricing.

• Like 6
On 3/28/2023 at 9:38 PM, eric99 said:

from 35 to 50 USD, isn't that 43% increase, not 77%. Where is that percentage  coming from?

Not sure of where you got any percentages from in my original post, as I quoted none. Perhaps you've replied to the wrong post?

24 minutes ago, DarkStardust said:

Not sure of where you got any percentages from in my original post, as I quoted none. Perhaps you've replied to the wrong post?

Sorry, I was replying to @spersephone post

• Thanks 1
On 3/28/2023 at 4:05 PM, gazumped said:

That is,  of course,  entirely your choice - but you might want to nip along to -  https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action - and change your account type to basic,  and maybe remove your payment details too?  Your existing account level and access will continue until the due date,  then you'll be back to lower use limits and a maximum of two connected devices.

Thank you for the suggestions, which I found to be incredibly helpful after having cancelled my subscription and encountered a number of issues whilst attempting to access my notes. I'm grateful for the tips re: settings, as I had forgotten to revoke access to devices prior to the end of my paid subscription. I didn't actually realise that Evernote Web counted as one of two allowed devices, so there's an irritating new detail to factor in as well! All good though, as that will eliminate any possibility of me lapsing back into compulsively spending money that I don't have on an app that I don't use for much more than writing on my computer. Apple notes (which is "free" for me to use on all Apple devices connected with my Apple ID) works well enough for passing notes along between devices, so I'm happy to start using that a bit more. For everything else I still feel inclined to use Bear for awhile since it's quite nice at a fraction of the cost of what I was paying for Evernote. Economically speaking this product simply doesn't rank high on my "must have" list, especially in relation to everyday essentials (such as food, water, web domains, VPN, etc.), so I'm totally okay with changing my notebook interface.
Anyway, thanks again for the tips and good luck!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

These price increases are the most tone deaf ones that I can remember and I have 100's of software purchases/subscriptions.  I can see an increase as everything is going up, but an increase in personal from $69 to $129 is close to a 100% increase.  I can appreciate the new features that will be coming.  However AI is coming to the Microsoft Office Suite as well and that only costs ~$69.  That is a suite with multiple programs with many more capabilities (although in different areas) than Evernote.  Looks to me as if personal is now being repositioned to  business pricing as that is the single seat price range I pay for business products.

Bending Spoon seems to be soaking Evernote customers for every dollar they can, maybe to finance the purchase.  I could stomach a 20-30% increase, but almost 100%?  That is so out of touch with what is happening with our economy, that is in the U.S.  The justification that the increase will provide for all those new features for better customer satisfaction just doesn't fly.  They aren't worth the extra cost.  

• Like 2
  • Level 5

If you don’t like it, activate your plan B.

If it doesn’t create enough value, use your alternative.

If it stresses you, post in the forum.

Pricing online services for SoHo use means setting a price. It’s not a bazar where you can individually negotiate what you may be willing to spend. So it all boils down to value (real or perceived). 

I have gotten significant improvements for my use cases (that are not yours, so it is subjective) since v10 launched,  the last ones were the backlinks (small feature that proves itself as very useful) and now the new sync, together with the ability to edit the one and same note from different devices and with share holders.

For me the value side of the scale has tipped somewhat - I don’t greet the raise in prices, but I see a good offer coming with it. My opinion, plain subjective, based on my use cases.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

...What he said - plus we now have a new team of energetic people who actually use the app,  have a mission to make solutions for mobile devices,  and are excited about their new purchase.  I got the impression that the 'old' Evernote team had gone through some internal grief and were somewhat stuck in a rut,  going through the motions before the buyout.

IMHO Evernote now has more credibility, talent and energy going for it than anyone else in the market and are competitively priced compared with the rest.  I also have subscriptions to Adobe, Amazon Filterize and Office 365 which bracket the same numbers,  and I already said somewhere that even Professional subscriptions in the UK amount to a single cup of coffee (or a glass of something stronger) per week.  YMMV depending on tax and exchange rates.

Up to every subscriber to decide - is it worth it to you or not?  IMHO there are lots of things to look forward to - including a Sync upgrade which (I think) should be completed next month.  If you disagree,  then we already covered the basics of downgrading your account for reference purposes and moving on.

• Like 2
On 4/30/2023 at 5:31 AM, gazumped said:

..What he said - plus we now have a new team of energetic people who actually use the app,  have a mission to make solutions for mobile devices,  and are excited about their new purchase.  I got the impression that the 'old' Evernote team had gone through some internal grief and were somewhat stuck in a rut,  going through the motions before the buyout.

Hrm... It doesn't seem that way to me.

In the last few years and under the "old" management, Evernote did its biggest major overhaul and update of the client apps in Evernote history. Then they added Tasks, Home, Calendar integration, Backlinks, Checklists and more. The multi-sync edit and infrastructure upgrade was already in beta before the acquisition by Bending Spoons. Evernote had just gotten their feet under them cleaning up all the technical debt left over from Version 10 and were really starting to roll. Updates once or twice a month with bug fixes and new minor, and sometimes, major releases... It goes on.

All Bending Spoons has done so far is: fire half the Evernote staff, not communicate mysterious pricing changes that people started seeing, then finally two days ago announce 85% pricing change increases and promise to implement a couple of "AI" functions in the future all the while taking credit for the multi-sync edit and infrastructure upgrades that had already been long in the works.

So perhaps Bending Spoons will continue on with the direction that the old Evernote was already doing, albeit with increased prices and a few AI enhancements, but "old" team was doing a fantastic bang-up job IMO and on a great trajectory.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5

We can't look behind the curtain (and its a heavy, dark one).

What can be said is that last year Ian claimed that EN was "cash positive", which is an euphemism for positive cash flow, but still writing losses.

When your owners loose confidence you can turn this into a double positive, or even a tripple meaning you can start to pay dividends, they cash in. And who spends the cash doesn't do it for altruism. They need a return.

That's what we see at the moment, cost trimming and price raises.

Where will it take us ? Nobody knows. There is inertia, like the new sync that was designed and implemented still by the "old" team. It's now rolling out, and from my initial tests its working great.

If there will be more coming, balancing the raised fees with improved value we have to wait and see.

Personally I think they will need to take a critical look at the Free plan as well. If the figures whispered in the past are correct, about 90% of all accounts are non performing, free accounts. Cost only, no income, and probably a very low conversion rate. I don't think this is sustainable in the long run.

• Like 1

I am not planning to leave Evernote, but not knowing the short and long term plan of Bending Spoons, makes me uncomfortable.  What is the easiest and fastest way to export all my notebooks and related attachments?   Can it be done in a non-proprietary format, so the information is useable without the evernote app, and importable by another app?   

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I think they will need to take a critical look at the Free plan as well. If the figures whispered in the past are correct, about 90% of all accounts are non performing, free accounts. Cost only, no income, and probably a very low conversion rate. I don't think this is sustainable in the long run.

This.  At least charge some minimal amount to cover costs.

• Like 4