New payment plans!

• Level 5

@yugal_k Oh, I am quite glad there is only one like me. As I am glad there is only one of everybody else, everyone unique and individual. That is what diversity is about - accepting the uniqueness of others as an enrichment. True for individuals, true for opinions as well.

So thank you for all the work you invested to prove the rest of us - hmmm, let’s say „wrong“. And you are right (maybe). Have to admit one thing: Could be you are, time will tell. Or maybe not, time will tell.

Currently you play Robin of Cloudsley here, fighter for the poor starving Plus tenants, the mercilessly robbed Premium-rebate inmates, and the feisty townsfolk willing to shed their last 20 pennies for falsely minted cloud services. Touché ! Ouuuuuch ! Good man !

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

Cloud cost is not such a major factor for SAAS companies. The biggest cost are R&D and then S&M (well, at least for companies where I saw the financial reports).

I work in tech finance and cloud cost is not that big of deal (Not talking about cloud AI, just your vanilla cloud). Just today I heard a CTO of tech firm saying they got 100K USD credit to leave their previous cloud host (migrating between clouds is a thing). After the credit is over, you call and cry for a little more .

The biggest cost for SAAS are R&D and then S&M (Flunky sales team can ruin a firm).

My hunch is that Evernote is traying to increase their ARR metrics. This became the holy grail of SAAS companies. In simpler terms, this represent recurring revenue. If you got one, you fly it high. If Evernote move is successful their evolution will jump high. Who knows, there might be a purchase in the horizon.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

There are many of us who think all this complaining about price is absurd. It is what it is, thats the prices, I genuinely cannot fathom what complaining and posting spread sheets achieves? Haven’t you already left for the ‘wonders’ of notion? If so why are you here trying to build a case of protest against another firms changes? 

That 'many' is miniscule - EN's rating on Google Play has dropped to 3.8.

If maintain more than one car and expect the best out of both of them. I pay for both EN and Notion. 

I don't have a personal grudge against EN. It has few features that Notion doesn't have -  so I ask Notion as well to gap those lags. No need to get offended .

My posts talk about more about the customer segmentation .

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

@yugal_k Pretty senseless starting point: EN is not charging for the storage space applied. If this would be the cost driver I am sure they would make this the key factor.

EN charges for the usage. First the levels depend on the features (= use cases) available to users, and secondly each level enjoys a different limit for the monthly upload (= traffic, intensity of use).

The bare cost of cloud storage are only a part of that view. Others are administration, development and customer support, all of which base factor cost went up.

This is the (probable) inside view. From the outside there are stable prices, while gaining features (less so before v10, but currently it is obvious). This is IMHO good for us users. I prefer better service for a stable price over rebating while failing. 

The new Professional plan is tailored to serve freelancers, project managers, consultants and the like - a user group that was not appreciated in the old setup: Too Professional for Premium, too small for Business.

Wishing more for less is human - tell Santa when you meet him.

In the previous tiers, premium was followed by business, and the only features that Professional did not get were the multi-user capabilities that Business offered.  So "...freelancers, project managers, consultants and the like ..." used Premium as we (yes, I fit into that group) did not need the multiuser features from Business.  There was nothing useful for me in Business.  So to now be positioned two tiers below the multiuser offer is unexpected, and I believe it is unreasonable. 

I no longer use Evernote as my primary tool because it did not make it easy to manage my work and, in the last year, because it did not support bidirectional linking (so powerful!).  And I want to do a quick summary for those who are calling the new functions of Personal as a significant addition.  The image below is from this link if you want to see the full thing.  The rightmost two columns are for the Premium (old) and Personal (new) tiers.  

So the additions for Personal are:

• tasks in a single view: a much needed addition, but really a first step.  To support a full task management methodology more functionality is required.  Features such as recurring tasks (still can't figure out if that is actually there yet!), better priority options,  and the ability to tag tasks (can't believe that is not there).
  • Add dates, reminders and notifications to tasks. We've been able to do all of that for years to Notes.  I had a tag called "Tasks" so was able to get almost all the functionality that Tasks now provide.  I even had a single views of "Tasks" as a saved search in my favourites.  So limited additional benefit.  The new functionality provides some usability benefits (marking a task complete is a single click) and simplified my searching as I had to figure out how to find notes with "Task" due today but not "Done" - oh, if we only had a boolean search feature!
  • Customize home with Tasks widget: to me Home is is the Shortcuts list with a better UX.  Suggested notes is a nice addition.  All the other "widgets" have been available in the left bar. 
  • Connect my primary Google calendar: useful but very limited.  In my role I need to connect multiple calendars for the different clients for whom I work.  Supporting one calendar source is not sufficient (yes I understand Professional offers this).  And it seems to be one way - I make changes in the Evernote, but the changes don't then appear in Google Calendar.  Other tools that can integrate multiple calendars have two-way APIs.  BTW, there are add-ins for Outlook and Gmail that let me create Notes from emails.  Again, EN has delivered UX improvements, but limited new functionality.

In summary, limited additional functionality but finally moving in the right direction.  But again, frustrated that I previously was at one tier below the multi-user version with access to all single user features and now I am not.

Screen_shot_2021-07-26_08-21-27_AM.thumb.png.000a8e89b247e4f93aaad43c162b2ee2.png

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

There are many of us who think all this complaining about price is absurd. It is what it is, thats the prices, I genuinely cannot fathom what complaining and posting spread sheets achieves? Haven’t you already left for the ‘wonders’ of notion? If so why are you here trying to build a case of protest against another firms changes? 

I apologise if it seems I am complaining about pricing.  This is not my intention.

My "complaint" is that the decision that EN has taken about moving Premium users to Personal is an unreasonable step for long term users of the product. I have been moved from the second top tier to the third tier, missed out on new functionality I value now, and will miss out on more functionality in the future by being at that third tier.

EN could have put full-rate Premium onto Professional, Plus on Personal and avoided all of this.  Instead they have treated Plus and Premium as the same type of user.  We're not!

I want EN to be my primary tool as I have used it for a long time and have believed in its vision - and I like the new one even more.  

But I don't like working with a company that treats its customers in this undifferentiated way.

One other thought for you - if we don't provide feedback to EN on things we think they can do better, how do they get better?  If we don't suggest features that we think would improve the product (like bi-directional linking) how do they get better?

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, Mishkafofer said:

Cloud cost is not such a major factor for SAAS companies. The biggest cost are R&D and then S&M (well, at least for companies where I saw the financial reports).

I work in tech finance and cloud cost is not that big of deal (Not talking about cloud AI, just your vanilla cloud). Just today I heard a CTO of tech firm saying they got 100K USD credit to leave their previous cloud host (migrating between clouds is a thing). After the credit is over, you call and cry for a little more .

The biggest cost for SAAS are R&D and then S&M (Flunky sales team can ruin a firm).

My hunch is that Evernote is traying to increase their ARR metrics. This became the holy grail of SAAS companies. In simpler terms, this represent recurring revenue. If you got one, you fly it high. If Evernote move is successful their evolution will jump high. Who knows, there might be a purchase in the horizon.

I agree, EN moved to cloud only in 2017, after being founded in 2004.

The newer apps started directly on cloud and have saved a lot from the inherent efficiencies(not just compute and storage) of cloud so are able to offer attractive prices.  So my point was based on how EN started. 

Hopefully, the S&M teams are sure about the pricing strategy. Does this new pricing address both the existing and new customers, probably future will tell !

• Level 5

@AlanH /1 If you need the Professional level, get it. Not because it is „topper“ than Personal, but because you need features it offers (one is enough).

Don‘t misunderstand my post - I don’t say „Every Professional must now buy Professional to stay a professional“. This would be nonsense, giving the multitude of individual use cases. Nobody has waited for EN to come along - who needed something has got it, and it most likely fulfills the requirements. Why change a working setup ? The user must not answer this question, EN must answer it. 

In this logic EN tries to bundle the features in a way to make this offer attractive for a specific group of people. People who have gotten more and more important over the years, and grown in number. So the guys in the snake oil department say „Let us target this group, and we try a little upselling on them“.

If it works is not my concern. Not for me, not for others, not for EN. My only question was and is: Can I make productive use of it ? If yes, 20€ more is a nobrainer. If not, every cent is one too much.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@AlanH /2 There are some ideas in your post foreign to me:

First there can be as many „levels“ above or below me as there are, my choice is not inferior because there is now another new level more pricey „above“. If I don’t need what it offers, I simply ignore it. 

Second about the Customer-company relation: If you just subscribed last week, or you are with EN from the time of the clay boards, you are in the same position: You want a certain service, and you make a contract to assure you of its use for a certain time. When you paid your (yearly) subscription, EN is owing you 1 year of service. With every day they owe a little less, and on the last day of your subscription you are at par.

Because they don’t give you a credit ( See ! ), you need to renew. And that is it. They don’t owe you anything for XX years of „faithful“ subscription, because there is no such thing. So what do you expect ? A special package for your „faith“ ? In former times you may have received a golden watch, just to find out it is gold plated, and needs a battery replacement. 

I think you may ask yourself if you are not sort of trapped by the cocooning the customer relations guys want to create to envelop their user base. Sure they value their customers - we are the bunch who pay their monthly cheque. Put your feelings aside, see it as a chain of deals that is ok as long as both sides benefit. Only buy what you need, only pay what you need. Don’t let new layers spawn desire for something that has no value for you.

Spare your emotions for people around you, who deserve it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, yugal_k said:

hot thread !

All these note taking apps are a bunch of APIs and UI over cloud compute and storage .

1. Cost of compute and storage in cloud has decreased drastically over last 10 years. So operationally, there have been huge savings for all these SaaS companies. Couldn't find the latest timeseries data but here is something to analyze.

2. By introducing a new tier called 'Professional', Evernote has really taken the top tier users for a ride who have been paying for last 5-7 years without introduction of new features. 

I feel lucky that I moved on to Notion 2 years ago- so many features and so many integrations. 

Capture.JPG

Uses another app for 2 years and still comes here to read and post.

My troll bell is ringing.......

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
26 minutes ago, Metrodon said:

Uses another app for 2 years and still comes here to read and post.

My troll bell is ringing.......

1. You did not read other posts. I use both EN and Notion and pay for them

2. I came here because I got an email notification stating that my plan has changed.

3. You are acting like a kid who has only one toy and thinks his toy is the best and is jealous because others play with more than 1 toy,

4. If I had so much interest and time to troll, I would not have posted 17 messages in 7 years but probably would have become Level 5 user just by the count of posts. 

5. This more like a Moderator trolling a user on the forum,  who has less than 1 post every 5 months.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

@AlanH /2 There are some ideas in your post foreign to me:

First there can be as many „levels“ above or below me as there are, my choice is not inferior because there is now another new level more pricey „above“. If I don’t need what it offers, I simply ignore it. 

Second about the Customer-company relation: If you just subscribed last week, or you are with EN from the time of the clay boards, you are in the same position: You want a certain service, and you make a contract to assure you of its use for a certain time. When you paid your (yearly) subscription, EN is owing you 1 year of service. With every day they owe a little less, and on the last day of your subscription you are at par.

Because they don’t give you a credit ( See ! ), you need to renew. And that is it. They don’t owe you anything for XX years of „faithful“ subscription, because there is no such thing. So what do you expect ? A special package for your „faith“ ? In former times you may have received a golden watch, just to find out it is gold plated, and needs a battery replacement. 

I think you may ask yourself if you are not sort of trapped by the cocooning the customer relations guys want to create to envelop their user base. Sure they value their customers - we are the bunch who pay their monthly cheque. Put your feelings aside, see it as a chain of deals that is ok as long as both sides benefit. Only buy what you need, only pay what you need. Don’t let new layers spawn desire for something that has no value for you.

Spare your emotions for people around you, who deserve it.

So a question for you. How do you thank a company should act to retain its existing customers?  

• Level 5

@AlanH Simply offer the service you have promised to offer, every day, again, and again. Then make sure your customer has the feeling you will be able and willing to do it tomorrow, and after. And give your customer the security that you innovate the service, and will keep up with, or even lead the pack.

And now this is hard: Don’t make offers to new customers (beside the usual one-timers probably everybody got once when onboarding) your existing customers can’t get.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, AlanH said:

I apologise if it seems I am complaining about pricing.  This is not my intention.

My "complaint" is that the decision that EN has taken about moving Premium users to Personal is an unreasonable step for long term users of the product. I have been moved from the second top tier to the third tier, missed out on new functionality I value now, and will miss out on more functionality in the future by being at that third tier.

EN could have put full-rate Premium onto Professional, Plus on Personal and avoided all of this.  Instead they have treated Plus and Premium as the same type of user.  We're not!

I want EN to be my primary tool as I have used it for a long time and have believed in its vision - and I like the new one even more.  

But I don't like working with a company that treats its customers in this undifferentiated way.

One other thought for you - if we don't provide feedback to EN on things we think they can do better, how do they get better?  If we don't suggest features that we think would improve the product (like bi-directional linking) how do they get better?

Hey Alan, I didn’t think that at all :) you are right, users need to express their views. My suspicion is when we have users who freely admit they don’t use the product and instead another one are jumping in to stir things up, I am not sure what the motives of such actions are.

I can agree to an extent about going from top tier to second. Personally though I try to focus on the features, does professional make any real world difference to my usage needs, to which the answer (currently) is no. I have never been a power user though so perhaps I don’t feel that change as acutely as others. 

• Like 3
  • Level 5

EN is a privately help company, which limits transparency rules that are applied on publicly traded companies. Investing heavily and adding features without raising prices does not speak for an immediate intention to put it on the auction block. What one would expect is raising prices for downgraded services, and a visible lack of investment and new features.

Your opinion is obviously not founded by fact, only by negative emotions and the wish to „tell the world“. IMHO it says more about yourself than about the target of your suada.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, joel65203 said:

They got for themselves an infusion of money,

Where's the "infusion of money" coming from?

My understanding is subscription rates are unchanged for existing users
Of course, those upgrading account tiers will be paying higher rates
That's more a revenue/expenses thing
(I'm not upgrading my account tier)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Where's the "infusion of money" coming from?

My understanding is subscription rates are unchanged for existing users
Of course, those upgrading account tiers will be paying higher rates
That's more a revenue/expenses thing
(I'm not upgrading my account tier)

DT your speaking facts, these folks are dealing in hysteria….and the odd spreadsheet lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The announcement is like an insult after injury. People here desperate hoping things start suck a bit less. Instead the Evernote folks are moon-walkers, they talk about not increasing price and throwing more junk in the once what used to be a green garden. If they had vision, they wouldn't throw up emails like these instead they would try to pacify the growing discontent.. at least some damage management. Instead they act like martians.

10 minutes ago, itoldusoandso said:

If they had vision, they wouldn't throw up emails like these instead they would try to pacify the growing discontent.. at least some damage management. Instead they act like martians.

How do you/we know that EN is not gaining more new subscribers than the ones they are losing? EN is out to make $$$ so I highly, highly doubt that the changes have been made without usage data. The internet is a echo chamber of negativity and complaints because folks who are generally happy have no reason to say anything. So we see a disproportionate posts that are negative. 

Personally I see no need for damage management for any updates or changes made recently. I know not everyone thinks this, but to me the apps and features are going in a great direction. They work very well for me. Sure I’d like to see some changes and fixes, but it’s good now. Keep it up. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, buckethead said:

How do you/we know that EN is not gaining more new subscribers than the ones they are losing? EN is out to make $$$ so I highly, highly doubt that the changes have been made without usage data. The internet is a echo chamber of negativity and complaints because folks who are generally happy have no reason to say anything. So we see a disproportionate posts that are negative. 

Personally I see no need for damage management for any updates or changes made recently. I know not everyone thinks this, but to me the apps and features are going in a great direction. They work very well for me. Sure I’d like to see some changes and fixes, but it’s good now. Keep it up. 

I agree, I think the direction that EN is going is in the right direction, but they need to retain their user base with so many other options out there than have existed before.  Taking an action that "demotes" a long time user from the top level of single user functionality to the second tier, does not seem consistent with the need to retain users.

4 minutes ago, bwally0210 said:

This new pricing has me so confused. I'm currently on Premium and pay $40 per year. Am I now expected to upgrade to "Personal" at almost twice the cost????

How do you currently pay $40 a year for premium? The rate for Premium until now was $70.  What country?

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, bwally0210 said:

Am I now expected to upgrade to "Personal" at almost twice the cost????

If you haven't been grandfathered to Personal (at no price increase)   
you can remain at Premium (at no price increase)

• Level 5

There is a rebated version of Premium. It will not upgrade to Personal.

To know what is what the best way is probably to ask support about one’s account status.

The rebates Premium can do the same as Plus users - stick with their current plan and features, or upgrade. Upgrading is one way and will raise the subscription price.

Wow! So for the first time in a LONG time I am actually considering leaving Evernote. I mean I get the need to add new features and the reasoning for having different tiers for access to those features, but I am not sure why - at $69 a year or $7.99 a month, not exactly what I would call cheap - items that I would consider basic functionality seem to be limited. For example only allowing users to pin one task list or one note to the Home screen seems to be a real limitation. Also not allowing a basic Boolean search is also something that limits users from using the software on a personal account. I totally get limits on integrations with business software, uploads, storage, etc…, but these all seem like basic functionality to me. I would imagine many people, like myself, use this not only to organize work (personally, not on an organizational level), schoo, etc.. as well as personal things. I honestly will never use most of the Professional things as I am using Evernote to keep myself on track and keep track of my projects, issues, etc…, and would greatly benefit from being able to manage multiple pinned notes or task lists - however those features alone are not worth the increased cost.

Also calendar integration is another limitation. I am sure at some point there will be some sort of ability to integrate with Teams and/or Outlook calendars and I am sure those features will only be available to Professional subscribers, another seemingly silly limitation on a paid subscription for a management tool, especially when One Note is essentially free to use with Office.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Reuven said:

How do you currently pay $40 a year for premium? The rate for Premium until now was $70.  What country?

This is about the price I pay for a Plus plan 😞

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Teknickal12 said:

Also not allowing a basic Boolean search is also something that limits users from using the software on a personal account.

How is it limiting? You have survived without it for however long you have been a subscriber. Boolean search is brand new and no-one has ever had it before. Though some posts prior another member actually showed how to use existing EN search to get the same results.

4 hours ago, Teknickal12 said:

Wow! So for the first time in a LONG time I am actually considering leaving Evernote. I mean I get the need to add new features and the reasoning for having different tiers for access to those features, but I am not sure why - at $69 a year or $7.99 a month, not exactly what I would call cheap - items that I would consider basic functionality seem to be limited.

Cheap or not cheap is personal opinion. For what I use EN for I find $69/year to be very reasonable. At some point everyone has to make the decision if it worth it or not personally. Sounds like you are in the process. And whether or not you consider features basic or not really has no bearing on what EN offers and what tiers they put features. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, Teknickal12 said:

something that limits users from using the software on a personal account.

Confirmed; the account tiers have limits and feature restrictions   
If this is important to me, I upgrade tiers

• Level 5

The question is not which features a tier has, the question is which features you need.

If you need (meaning a critical use case won’t work without that feature) something, it is worth getting the corresponding tier.

Given that the new Personal tier has the same plus some additional features as Premium had, anybody who now suddenly feels „restricted“ has amnesia.

Don‘t spend money while in a mentally disturbed phase, the doctor says ! Get your mind and memory back to work, and decide if you really need to upgrade.

For me Premium always worked, so for the same use cases no need to go beyond Personal.

On 7/8/2021 at 4:14 PM, DTLow said:

You missed the points for existing customers
- price not increasing
- not losing any existing features

While this statement is made in the notification, it seems not to be true. I'm an Evernote Plus customer. Today, I got a notification on one of my mobile devices that I have to disconnect all my devices but two because I'm in Evernote Basic. To avoid this I should upgrade to Evernote Premium. They completely ignored that I'm in Evernote Plus. Very annoying.

Have had EN Plus since 2012.  received a couple of messages from EN stating my credit card on record had expired.  Updated the card.  Now, when we log in, we get a popup telling us we need to upgrade.  Does this mean we can no longer use EN Plus?  How do I login and get the features we had?

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, Passing thru said:

Have had EN Plus since 2012.  received a couple of messages from EN stating my credit card on record had expired.  Updated the card.  Now, when we log in, we get a popup telling us we need to upgrade.  Does this mean we can no longer use EN Plus?  How do I login and get the features we had?

Hi.  If you go to https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action and scroll down,  you should see your current account details.  If that's not what you expect,  or you have other issues with access,  see @PinkElephant's post above your own.  Contact Support for more assistance.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Have you checked your subscription level in your account yet ? Plus has unlimited devices.

Seems, I found out what happened. After my current Plus contract expired, it was not renewed as usual but downgraded to Basic. The only way to continue was an upgrade to Personal.

• Like 1
On 7/24/2021 at 2:49 AM, SWSL said:

Are they canceling our ability to keep offline notes on the mobile app or not?

It's only affected for FREE tier. Personal and above will have Offline feature. It's available in Comparison section if you want to confirm yourself.

On top of it there is no export for Free tier so it won't affect you that as well.

• Level 5

AFAIK the offline notes were always a feature of the paid plans.

My impression is that EN had rules for the Free plan they did not enforce for a long time. This seem to have changed - the system is now set up in ways to stop Free users exploring and exploiting features beyond the plans limits.

Given a subscription cost the price of a cup of „to go“ per month, everybody on Free IMHO should think about weighting „the trouble“ against investing into a full featured, solid tarif, that removes limitations.

Who stays on Free should be aware that the cozy times are a thing of the past. We other users here in the forum can’t help when things get rough, like an accidental lock out.

• Like 1

And I've not heard of Personal subscription comes with 'ads'... I'm personally, pun intended, not that disappointed with not upgraded to Professional tier, because I was not using anything but multi-device sync. What's annoying is that pesky 'upgrade to Professional' ads. I'm not interested in throwing more money on this disrespectful, dysfunctioning, and outdated company. I just want to keep my creations safe and stable, as all things should be, since 2014. Please Evernote. I'm paying you money. Why I have to see upselling ads? Paid apps should be ads-free, I guess.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

The hint to the Professional plan is a reminder there is now another plan, no advertisement. I have dismissed it, and was done. Didn’t come back yet.

The feature tutorial (the blue boxes appearing on the GUI where new items are located) is short, click through it once, and done. Maybe it was introduced after they looked at their support traffic and found out that many users asked the same basic questions.

Then there is a reminder about Professional on some widgets. I don‘t see this as an ad - it simply says „Hey, you just clicked here. We assume you want this widget. In this case you need to change the plan“. So what, before I think „something is not working“ I learn that I can‘t use it without an upgrade.

It is different on the Free plan - there the hints to subscribe are continuous. You can argue whether this is good marketing - but it is IMHO covered by using a valuable service for nothing.

• Like 2

Are we forgetting the downgraded widget that they take from us and yet the price continue to rise?  And their ambition to v10 trying to lessen the gap of cross platform which makes the desktop experience sucks. 

And yes since they are trying to make it mobile friendly and it feels like they are slowly keeping their distance in more desktop style..   

I can feel that sooner they will also take away text encryption feature that obviously a problem for 11yrs in mobile version. And announce higher price for taking away another feature. 

• Level 5

This widget AFAIK has nothing to do with the new plans. There are still features missing from v10, independently from the subscription level. I am waiting to get the Apple Watch function back, it was removed with v10 nearly a year ago.

This discussion has no end, because there are features with the old app that are gone, there are other features with the new app that were added.

With the new subscription setup no features or widgets have been removed, if you had it before you have it after.

5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

With the new subscription setup no features or widgets have been removed, if you had it before you have it after

Of course, of course everyone has it. You just cant use it. 

Hey mind if I replace the door in your home with a plastic curtain.  Don't worry you still can live there. That's what the rent you are paying anyway not the doors.  Oh and I plan to increase the rent next month. But you're not going to be affected.

You should Be grateful. 

Long-time Premium subscriber, personal use. I don't use many of the esoteric features in Evernote but I do sync four devices so I'd be forced to the Personal level. Not worth it to me, plus I was very disappointed by the several months it took to resolve the issue with the Mac client blank windows earlier this year. When I say "not worth it," it's not the pricing per se but rather the feeling that I'd be caught up in an ever-increasing data hostage situation, with corresponding ever-increasing fees. 

I just exported everything over to Apple Notes. There are some things I find better with that platform, including search, nested folders, better integration with the smartphone camera for embedding photos or doing scans, and the ability to securely lock individual notes (not just encrypt text). There are some Evernote features I'll miss, primarily better formatting tools, the native ability to export (and thus back up), and perhaps the new Tasks feature. 

So this was the straw that broke the camel's back for me, as a user with fairly limited needs for whom the new free version isn't enough.  My Evernote subscription doesn't expire until next March, so there's a chance I might come back, but probably not.

• Level 5

Fees are not rising if you stick with your current subscription, whatever it was.

If you fear a „data hostage“ situation, you picked a solution with Apple Notes that makes it very hard to export and move your notes elsewhere one day. If this was a main criteria, IMHO this is not a good choice.

Everything else is fine, as long as you stay in the Apple ecosystem.

12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Fees are not rising if you stick with your current subscription, whatever it was.

… until it expires next year; then, who knows?

12 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you fear a „data hostage“ situation, you picked a solution with Apple Notes that makes it very hard to export and move your notes elsewhere one day.

Agree, and that's my least favorite "feature." The saving grace is that with only about 500 notes and all the time in the world, at worst I could copy/paste them over to something or, more likely, enjoy writing an AppleScript to do whatever I want with them, or use this trick for backup: https://ishouldgotosleep.com/how-to-backup-apple-notes-from-your-mac/ 

Jury still out, but I've made the initial move and we'll see.

• Thanks 1

On the new plans.... I've been a Plus member for many years. Think Evernote are just playing with words when it says Plus users retain features.... " plus access to all-new Tasks." Well, yes you can add tasks but can't do anything else to them to make them useful - like flag them, add reminders, due dates etc, Unless you upgrade. Disappointed user. I understand EN business decision in allowing minimum access to encourage upgrades but.....I use another App for notes, lists unfortunately. Thought EN was going to be my 100% go to..

Screenshot 2021-08-03 at 19.44.10.png

• Like 1
On 8/1/2021 at 1:32 AM, PinkElephant said:

This is helpful and a question I've put to EN as it wasn't clear to me. The Personal Plan is more expensive than the Premium Plan I was on before, and I don't need the tasks or calendar feature, so I question the use of possibly being asked to pay more for the same product use (I have mainly stayed with a paid EN plan through an odd sense of loyalty rather than having checked whether another tool would be of more use). 

On 7/27/2021 at 6:13 PM, Teknickal12 said:

Wow! So for the first time in a LONG time I am actually considering leaving Evernote. I mean I get the need to add new features and the reasoning for having different tiers for access to those features, but I am not sure why - at $69 a year or $7.99 a month, not exactly what I would call cheap - items that I would consider basic functionality seem to be limited. For example only allowing users to pin one task list or one note to the Home screen seems to be a real limitation. Also not allowing a basic Boolean search is also something that limits users from using the software on a personal account. I totally get limits on integrations with business software, uploads, storage, etc…, but these all seem like basic functionality to me. I would imagine many people, like myself, use this not only to organize work (personally, not on an organizational level), schoo, etc.. as well as personal things. I honestly will never use most of the Professional things as I am using Evernote to keep myself on track and keep track of my projects, issues, etc…, and would greatly benefit from being able to manage multiple pinned notes or task lists - however those features alone are not worth the increased cost.

Also calendar integration is another limitation. I am sure at some point there will be some sort of ability to integrate with Teams and/or Outlook calendars and I am sure those features will only be available to Professional subscribers, another seemingly silly limitation on a paid subscription for a management tool, especially when One Note is essentially free to use with Office.

I totally agree, I will be leaving. My Premium subscription was drawn from my account early July, now I am finding that my functionality is not being enhanced unless I pay more money. But there's a big problem, the product sucks since the rewrite. It is so slow on a PC that it isn't worth any subscription, never mind an enhanced subscription for some very basic features. Time to start the migration. Sorry Evernote, I liked your legacy product, however you have ruined it. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5

If I read through this, it is really hard to understand why there is such an uproar:

If one has what he needs with plan X, there can be as many different plans with features up and down - if I don’t need it, I don‘t buy it. I stick with what I have, which EN made clear they will continue to offer for existing subscribers.

If I need or want (better: desire) anything from a new plan, I switch over. Keep in mind that the majority of any subscription payment is not for the dev team, the majority goes into maintaining and operating the structure on which EN is running. This money is spend and consumed while the subscription runs. 

If the upgrade is worth the money depends on the individual use cases. As a rule of thumb: When there is a feature that really helps me along, like saving an hour of my lifetime every month, it is well spend. If not, I should not spend the money, and have not need to complain.

About Boolean search: I think who believes he needs it „because I don’t even get a simple Boolean search when not upgrading“ has not understood what the existing search syntax can do. To upgrade because of this would be money foolishly spend - because it is perfectly possible to perform such a simple Boolean logic search even with a free (Basic) account.

The new search features are special, and I think the same rule applies to them as well: If the new capabilities saves you significant time or allows brilliant new results, it is money well spend. To decide about this, you need to know to which end you will be using them. Just to claim to need it without being able to describe the use case is a contradiction.

If not sure anybody can use the 14day trial period to find out.

• Like 1

I do feel the email I was sent was somewhat misleading. I spent nearly a week trying to resolve an issue with my Home prompting me to upgrade to Professional in order to save my changes, only to be told in the end that the issue was I had added a pinned note which was not included in my subscription. It's ironic having to spend that much time on getting a clear answer for a 'productivity' app. Oh well.

I'm reacting to the fact that the Home features are now split into tiers, when I was under the impression that Home customisations was a feature that would carry over from Premium to Personal. I participated in the Home beta, and one of the most requested features was the ability to use multiple pinned notes, or use a widget multiple times. Some people event went so far as to say Home would be useless to them as a productivity feature without this option. I tend to agree with this, as there are far to few widgets at this point to create a dashboard that replaces my custom made dashboard with shortcuts.

However, the thing that bothers me the most about the rollout of the new plans is the choice to make visible features and options in Evernote that are unavailable/ unsavable unless you follow the promt to upgrade your plan. This, in my opinion, is a type of in-app advertising, which is something I usually pay to avoid.

For me Evernote is a place for creativity and productivity, a space to be in and create. Being constantly reminded of not having features or being prompted to pay for an upgrade just interferes with my process and workflow, and just interferes with my space in a negative way. I appreciate that this may be a very personal thing, but up until recently opening up Evernote was something positive, and it made me feel I was actually getting some work done.

I have been using evernote since 2012 and have been a subscriber for years, and I just don't want to start associating Evernote with something negative.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Petsolb said:

I do feel the email I was sent was somewhat misleading

I think we're long past the email thing

>This, in my opinion, is a type of in-app advertising,   
... interferes with my space in a negative way ...

which is something I usually pay to avoid.

Paying works (for top tier); or ... switch to a different product 🙂

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Petsolb said:

This, in my opinion, is a type of in-app advertising, which is something I usually pay to avoid.

As a slightly different take on that statement - you are aware,  I hope,  that you have complete control over the level of your subscription via this link https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action

Sympathies on the frustration with the general release tactics - part of the problem I think was that Evernote appear to have been making decisions on the fly.  Hopefully they'll iron out some inconsistencies as time goes on...  maybe...  <_<

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

That works; or ... switch to a different product 🙂

In other words, if someone has a different opinion, get out of here? What is the point in having a forum if there's only one valid opinion? I did state I was talking from a personal standpoint, after all.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Anybody may experience things differently.

My feeling is that the information coming along with the widgets is quite clear. There are (beside the initial ones, that are normal after a transition to another plan) only messages when I try to activate a function that is not included in my plan.

What else should they do but showing this „upgrade to get it“ messages ? Not inform, just block the access ? Not inform, but upgrade the plan without further consent ? It is easy to criticize, but more difficult to tell a fair and legally feasible alternative.

I have no problem when a popup shows that I can’t do what I tried because it is not in the bundle I am paying. I really don’t play all day long with my widgets, so WTF when there may be something showing when I do, occasionally.

On 8/3/2021 at 9:49 PM, PaulRW said:

It is so slow on a PC that it isn't worth any subscription, never mind an enhanced subscription for some very basic features. Time to start the migration.

Concerning poor performance, yesterday I heard very good news that EN is working on improving bulk operations and this will eliminate the 50 notes selection limitation 🙂

https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/138001-completed-tasks/?do=findComment&comment=630551

• Like 1
5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

What else should they do but showing this „upgrade to get it“ messages ? Not inform, just block the access ? Not inform, but upgrade the plan without further consent ? It is easy to criticize, but more difficult to tell a fair and legally feasible alternative.

I have no problem when a popup shows that I can’t do what I tried because it is not in the bundle I am paying. I really don’t play all day long with my widgets, so WTF when there may be something showing when I do, occasionally.

Well, like I said, I'd prefer not to have in-app ads, or get an option to disable them, just like you may choose to opt out of email newsletters/ offers.

As I understand it more features will be coming to Evernote in the coming months, and I'd rather let the team know sooner than later before the ads start popping up everywhere. If these start showing up in the note editor too it's really going to affect productivity. Ultimately it is the team's decision how to handle this.

5 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

have no problem when a popup shows that I can’t do what I tried because it is not in the bundle I am paying. I really don’t play all day long with my widgets, so WTF when there may be something showing when I do, occasionally.

Good for you! Different people, different preferences

I'm really confused. I'm on Plus in the UK with 4,500 notes and member since 2012. My subscription runs out 9 December. I pay £30 each year. I don't (currently) want any of the new features of Personal (£55/year - nearly double).

What will happen on 9 December? Will they take £30 and I carry on with Plus legacy, or will they downgrade me to Free (what happens to my notes?), upgrade me to Personal and charge more?

It's just not clear. And I've wasted an hour on this. After nearly 10 years as a loyal customer, I'm mightly hacked off.

I'm sure there is some kind soul out there who can give me an answer! Thanks!

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Uncle Monty said:

What will happen on 9 December? Will they take £30 and I carry on with Plus legacy

afaik  There is no change; you will carry on with the Plus legacy   
Evernote has produced this Chart showing the plan types, including Plus

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, DTLow said:

afaik  There is no change; you will carry on with the Plus legacy   
Evernote has produced this Chart showing the plan types, including Plus

Thanks very much for the chart - that's useful.Actually I can see that Plus has been legacy since 2018, so I suppose I should take some faith from their commitment to legacy subs. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Uncle Monty said:

Thanks very much for the chart - that's useful.Actually I can see that Plus has been legacy since 2018, so I suppose I should take some faith from their commitment to legacy subs. 

I'm on Plus as well and I'm very confident that this will not be changed by EN. However, if HTML export and the 50 notes selection limit will be fixed, I intend to switch to Personal myself.

• Like 1

Seriously. I've just about had it with Evernote.  A few weeks ago, I upgraded to Professional, because I wanted to integrate it with my calendar.  I thought I had that issue resolved, but this morning when I tried to log in, my account had been downgraded to Free.  I couldn't get into my tasks,  pinned notes, calendar, etc.  In addition, I couldn't even open a support ticket.   Those require "Upgrades." 

I've used Evernote for years, and tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but this is sad.  

image.png.3f86b838576d72bdb5094457fb8b240e.png

2021-08-09_12-34-18.png

I've been on EN for 12 years and a Premium user for probably 5.  I'm unhappy and a bit confused about "why" EN didn't allow those of us who've been long time users and (especially) paid Premium users to have a "trial" period (6 months, for example) at the Professional level in order to give us time to try out the new functionalities (enhanced tasks, Google calendar integration, etc., etc.).  My only option to use (and perhaps become dependent upon) some of the new features is to pay for an upgrade which, frankly, I'm unlikely to do.  Been experimenting with Apple Notes and while it's certainly not (yet) EN, there are a lot of easy/simple to use functions.  Long been an EN acolyte, but the luster is rapidly fading for me.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Thor Skog said:

My only option to use (and perhaps become dependent upon) some of the new features is to pay for an upgrade

For a trial, pay for a single month

• Level 5

If I am not mistaken there is a free 14 day trial for all Personal users. This should be more than enough to test the additional features of Professional, and take an informed decision.

The trial shows when I open my account settings. I have not yet taken it, so no experience.

• Like 1

I was a bit disappointed with the changes and what struck me was specially the advanced search options being limited to Professional plan, since search feature was always a must for Evernote users in general. Boolean and geographic search should not be limited to Professional.

As others have already mentioned here, I was always a Premium user and benefited from the complete package EN offered for users in general, and I didn't need to "upgrade" to Business since I've always had in mind it's bolder features were tailored for work groups and such (hence, more space and monthly quota, etc). Now I have constant reminder to upgrade to Professional as I access the account menu.

I believe Professional could be advertised as a more business focused plan, as Business was, with teamwork features and more space, but should not be the only one plan to have special search features. Since EN is always open to listen to their long time users, I really wish they could be sensitive to this question. What do you think?

• Like 1

I don’t think I would trust any changes like free trials to Evernote right now after reading the confusion to upgrade cycles, plans, and the person who upgraded to professional but Evernote downgraded them to free. There certainly is a lack of trust. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You read about a few exceptions, not about millions of users where the change happened without any issue (like me). Sort of biased perception, just looking at the few reported cases where it had not worked out.

In most cases the question was about a running subscription, being afraid the amount would be lost when upgrading. In these cases the new subscription needed to be fully paid - but what was left from the old one was refunded within days.

There is support to sort subscription problems out. The billing ticket type is open to all users, just in case. So even an accidental full downgrade is a mere nuisance. You never loose data, and you are back to full business within hours or a few days, at worst.

• Level 5*
On 8/11/2021 at 5:13 AM, ever_coffee said:

I believe Professional ... should not be the only one plan to have special search features... What do you think?

There are users unwilling to pay for for extended features   
I think it's a good to have choices

• 3 weeks later...

I see that I am on a legacy plan (whatever that means) and that you are talking about a 'rack rate'.

"If you were not automatically upgraded to Evernote Personal, this means you are paying a legacy price on your subscription plan. You are welcome to upgrade to the new Personal plan at its current price".

• Level 5

Be happy you saved on Premium all the years.

Now you have a choice: Stay at your current Premium plan (no access to the added features with Personal) for the same price, or upgrade to Personal. 

I would check if I need anything that I will get, and if not, stay where I am. Like with Plus you can upgrade any time in the future as well, no pressure to do so now.

15 hours ago, seebee said:

Hah! I just missed a special offer for one year to upgrade. Maybe it'll turn up again. 

Advice: Just make sure you don't have your renewal set up anywhere but through Evernote itself.  I attempted to upgrade to Premium from my legacy Plus early this year via a promotion.  I also try to make my subscription management processes efficient - if it's available in a centralized repository (such as in the Subscriptions section of my Settings on my iPhone, for subscriptions I use on multiple platforms, as I do with Evernote), I'd prefer to manage there, rather than at each individual app/website.  After much frustration and multiple calls with both Apple and Evernote customer service due to having no ability to access the upgrade, I was informed that because I had most recently been managing the Apple interface for my Evernote subscription, I could not convert via the rebate/promotion and give Evernote more of my money as I'd planned to do.  Even more unfortunately, my subscription had just auto-renewed a few days before, so I am unable to utilize any promotional upgrade until next year earliest.  Finally, even if I were to cancel the auto-renew, I would not be eligible for any rebate (common, though not unanimously adopted) term for "business as usual" subscriptions), not even as an exception due to the quirk of the situation.  Result: I am unable to upgrade through Evernote, or obtain the benefits of any promotional upgrade, without paying double.   I have shut off auto-renew via Apple and now will have to try to jump through whatever hoops are needed when the time comes.  

I wonder if next hear I'll hear that because I (will have) let my Legacy renewal "lapse" (when I inevitably miss the precise renewal date) or changed my payment m.o., I've lost access to Plus and also am not eligible for any promotional upgrade opportunities. Let's hope not, but.

And as a periodic reader/commenter here, a very long-time Evernote user, and someone quite fluent in matters of personal tech, I want to give a prophylactic note that I do not need to hear that "that's an Apple issue" or "well, you have to understand that Evernote does not control that" or "that is just the way that agreements of this sort happen, and you should know logically how this works."   I understand how contracts work.  I also understand how customer service works and that if a company wanted to, it could devise  a workaround, even if manual (though ideally built into the offer), in a way that is the least disruptive or frustrating to customers.  Even a statement somewhere obvious that it's to a customer's advantage to eschew any renewal management other than on the Evernote site, because that will render it "impossible" to access any future promotional upgrade offers.  And I am 100% sure I have been able to effect this sort of promoted upgrade for other apps with multiple subscription/renewal methods available, even when I managed my renewal via the convenient, consolidated subscription management interface (i.e., via Apple on my phone, for non-Apple apps).  

• Level 5

Thanks for posting. It is always a trade off between having it all in one place and maybe saving some money on one time events. On the long run you pay the standard price, with a direct subscription as well.

Personally I feel good with having as much as possible handled by iTunes.

One advantage that you don’t find easily on the open subscriptions is the ability to cancel any new subscription within 14 days, with no addo any just with a few clicks. This possibility alone has saved me more than hunting promotions, I think.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Thanks for posting. It is always a trade off between having it all in one place and maybe saving some money on one time events. On the long run you pay the standard price, with a direct subscription as well.

Personally I feel good with having as much as possible handled by iTunes.

One advantage that you don’t find easily on the open subscriptions is the ability to cancel any new subscription within 14 days, with no addo any just with a few clicks. This possibility alone has saved me more than hunting promotions, I think.

As I said, I, too, was using iTunes as a convenient way to ensure  that my payments were always on-time, always renewed, and easily managed.  The promo was advertised for the category of consumers that includes me; there was no reason to think (nor need there be; as mentioned, it isn't the case with every app) any tradeoff between using iTunes to manage subscriptions vs at any individual app's site.  It is extremely unfortunate (i.e., disappointing) that Evernote did not plan for a technical glitch; was unwilling to honor a promotion due to something that they were in the best position to anticipate and manage; and/or created a customer service dead-end with no manual workaround nor interest in making right.

• Like 1

Thank you for the warning Athena13. I am sorry to hear of your misfortune.  The following quote from you sums up what a number of people feel from time to time with technology communication generally.

4 hours ago, Athena13 said:

if a company wanted to, it could devise  a workaround, even if manual (though ideally built into the offer), in a way that is the least disruptive or frustrating to customers.

• Level 5*

Whilst I agree that there should not,  in this day and age,  be a delay between online payment and activation,  this situation seems a bit like ordering a McDonalds from your local KFC.  While the companies might want to allow customers to order their food from whichever outlet is most convenient for them, it's inevitably going to take longer for the burger to arrive.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
On 8/29/2021 at 9:52 PM, PinkElephant said:

Be happy you saved on Premium all the years.

This tone is so condescending. I'm all for giving the company the benefit of the doubt, and I don't mind helping people to refocus their angry energy that comes into these forums, but I think @seebee's experience highlights how janky this whole experience can be. When people have to come onto the forums and ask "well is it the real real real premium, the original promotion premium, the new premium/personal, the super duper Apple special premium, or just the regular premium," it shows that whatever way things are being communicated are not good. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, gazumped said:

Whilst I agree that there should not,  in this day and age,  be a delay between online payment and activation,  this situation seems a bit like ordering a McDonalds from your local KFC.  While the companies might want to allow customers to order their food from whichever outlet is most convenient for them, it's inevitably going to take longer for the burger to arrive.

Except in this analogy people are ordering like's a combination KFC/McDonald's because that's how they read the sign. But I don't think that's an Evernote problem, just more of an indicator of how likely people are coming into subscriptions via iOS. 

On 8/30/2021 at 2:24 AM, seebee said:

When the new versions arrived, Premium users were informed that if we did nothing, we would default to Personal plan. I am now getting an offer to upgrade to Personal! 

Same here, I did not understand why so I did not upgrade anything.

• Level 5

@Jeremye I don’t get where the problem is to see a used rebate as a bonus - no offense meant. It was an official rebate, no problem with using it.

Personally I found the communication pretty clear: Stick with what you have for the same, Personal for a full subscription, Professional for an upgrade. IMHO not really rocket science. Check what you need, and if it is what you have, stick to it.

What certainly muddies the water at the moment are the new rebates offered for a full subscription. But it is for the first year only, so WTF. 

I have been an EN customer since 2009 and have been a Plus customer for years.  I saw the chart above that says that Plus will make notes available offline for both desktop and mobile.  That is great but when I clicked on the latest email that I got it said that Plus offline is only available for desktop. 

Anybody know the straight scoop?

Thanks!

That is the chart that I was initially referring to.  If you look in the ‘free’  column it says for the offline access to notes is for desktop only. Same chart says for Plus the offline access is for desktop and mobile.  That is what I have now for my Plus account and I can select all or individual notebooks to save to my phone which will and have been available offline when I don’t have cell or WiFi access.

The new ad I got says that offline availability for legacy Plus users is just for desktop.

what is correct?